[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 35 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

File: AB.jpg (27 KB, 740x400)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
Less than 50 days remaining till AB 2018.

General AB discussion:
>What are you cosplaying as?
>How close are you to being ready?
>Any guests you're happy to see?
>What are you plans for the con?
>Panels, Vendors, Artists, etc.
>>
Reposted from different thread:

So, here's the deal, I'm going to Anime in Boston this year with a group of ffffffffffffUCKing losers.

However, this is my first convention.

How does shit work in there, and what do I need to know
>>
>>9784085
I feel bad for the people who are going to be stuck with you.
>>
>>9784085
Don't act like how you post for starters my god
>>
>>9784085
Protip for AB, get a noose and neck yourself in the middle of the mall's garden.
>>
>>9784085
Like are you asking how regular conventions operate?

The con is in the prudential center so there are tons of things to do around the area. The con has a dealers hall and artist alley (Places to spend money), Panels (ways to kill time while learning about specific topics), game room (cabinet/console/pc/tabletop), and events (usually a sham but good for a first timer)

Food court at the pru has been gutted and turned into Eataly which is pretty tourist trappy, but has some decent panini's and produce you can eat. The food around Boston is pretty decent if you research it before hand.

I 'think' that the attached sheraton hotel is still available at like 220ish a night thru the cons website. If that hotel isn't available then there is the marriot attached by a sky bridge and airBNB is usually a pretty solid choice.

If you want to do things offsite from the convetion center in Boston; buy a Charlie card and take the T (public transport like the subway), its cheap and efficient.

Restaurants directly outside the pru (Pourhouse, Whisky's, Cheesecake Factory) are usually swamped with people during the con, so it's better to venture out a bit further to get seated right away.
>>
>>9784142

What would be a good amount of money to have on-hand for the con? Should I have some change as well?
>>
>>9784172
It really depends on if you plan on buying things at the con. A good amount of cash to have on hand (implying you also have debit/credit card)is probably $40-$80. The reason why I say that is because occasionally vendors have issues with the wi-fi and have a very hard time processing cards. That number also implies you have a credit/debit card.

If you dont have a card and are going stricly with cash for all things at this con, I'd go more towards $200. Meals and drinks would make up about over $100 of that and it give you some spending cash for the con.

Some things in the dealers hall like figures can go up to $200+ dollars, so just know what you want ahead of time and plan accordingly.
>>
File: 1462565614340.jpg (7 KB, 200x200)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>9783972

Char Aznable, Strider Hiryu, Lucio, Ryuji Sakamoto
Pic related
Eh, not really.
>What are you plans for the con? Have fun, spend a bunch of cash in the dealer's room
Good Gundam panels please.
>>
>>9784195
All the Mecha You'll Ever Need is a pretty good panel and they always spend at least a little time talking about Gundam. The panel's been at the con every year for the past decade, I'm sure it'll be back again this year. It's pretty fun! Honestly one of my fav panels at the con.
>>
This is my 6th Anime Boston, but my first time cosplaying at Anime Boston. I used to do a lot of closet cosplay, but I recently decided that I wanna get better at it, so I took some sewing classes, bought a machine, and here I am. Neither of the costumes I plan on bringing are particularly complex, and only one of them is a fairly popular character, so I guess I'm curious how being in a decent, recognizable cosplay will change the con for me.
>>
>>9784239
Good for you picking up a skill like that. I'm sure you'll look great.
>>
>>9784239
Good luck Anon, even a small step is a step forward.

>>9784238
I do definitely pop in to that panel, that's always on my list.
>>
File: image-2.gif (981 KB, 500x281)
981 KB
981 KB GIF
>>9784248
>>
Planning on going as a genderbent 02 from Darling in the Franxx and Akira from Devilman.
First time in my life I'm going to be attempting to make clothing (02) oh god help.
>>
>>9784239
Good for you! Even if they are simple outfits, you get to learn how to plan and construct, and it's really useful than just costuming.

Houseki no Kuni and Code Geass planned so far.
50% - waiting on a wig and planning for the other days. Everything else I have.
FLOW
Panels, friends, drinking, artist alley
^see above.
>>
>>9784459
>code gayass
Who
>>
>>9783972
>>What are you cosplaying as?
Froppy, might try to whip together a bear kigu Lain for sunday.
>>How close are you to being ready?
Tickets are bought, hotel booked, most supplies for cosplay is bought.
>>Any guests you're happy to see?
Not really desu.
>>What are you plans for the con?
Buy hella merch, eat wagamama like no ones business.
>>Panels, Vendors, Artists, etc.
I love AB's artist alley, I always spend more money here than the dealers room/at any other con.
>>
You guys don't even know how much easier it makes my life knowing that there's gonna be an Anna's Taqueria in the Pru now. A large burrito can keep you full for almost a whole day. Especially if they pay the food places to stay open late again (which made my life so much easier last year. Serious props to AB for doing that) that's gonna be a Godsend.
>>
>>9784574
I'll vouch for this. There's an Anna's by MassGeneral and they're pretty good. Portion sizes are pretty generous.
>>
>>9783972
Elma from Dragon-maid, Tsubasa Hanekawa, Popuko from Poptepipic (w/no Pipipimi because my friends suck)
Way less than I should be considering I've been planning for months
FLOW takes the cake desu
Shop, concert, maybe have a try at a my first photoshoot if I can find a good photographer

Hopefully it'll be a good year, the last couple for me have really been waning in enjoyment.
>>
I’m fucking pumped for the off site anamanaguchi concerts. Just got my tickets for both nights.
>>
>>9785098
Oh shit what
Thanks for informing us anon, will buy tickets asap
>>
>>9785139
No worries

For anyone else interested, it isn't hosted by the con so you have to get tickets separately. Find the link on the bands facebook page.
>>
>>
>>9784493
This diva.
>>
>>9785217
He good
>>
Are there gonna be any 2hu's there?
>>
>>9785676
Considering it mainly for how it could be comfy, but I lack the motivation
>>
>>9785676
I'm doing Touhou, I did last year too, wanna get the courage to go to photoshoot sometime
>>
Going as Darth Nihilus this year. Really excited, just need to finish the robe up.
>>
Why are all the guests this year so lame? VA guests especially. Unless they make any more worthwhile announcements, this'll be my first Anime Boston where I'm not particularly excited for any of the guests.
>>
>>9784142
Is it better to do the T or to Uber/Lyft if cost isn't an issue?
>>
>>9786576
It really depends on what you wanna do.
If you just wanna explore Boston, the T is cheaper and usually faster than traffic--but if you're looking to go somewhere more than say, 3-4 stops away, getting a Lyft might be faster as long as you don't mind it being more expensive.
If you're trying to get to the convention center, assuming you're staying somewhere in Central Boston, it'll be faster almost every time to use the T (or to walk, if you're nearby).
>>
I'll be taking 4 different Utena series itabags along at once. Dressing in series-related itawear, too.
>>
It’ll be my 11th year and I’m super excited! I haven’t decided on a lineup or anything yet though due to Katsucon.
>>
i just moved to boston - it'll be my first time here at AB, and first convention

are there usually groups that go out for drinks afterwards? and meetups around the con?
>>
>>9786893
As the con draws closer, seagulls will make a meet up
>>
This is my first time going to AB, second going to any con. I'm trying to cosplay as pic related, don't have shit yet but getting it soon. I'm excited to see a really well stocked game room compared to RICC's pitiful one.
>>
Probably gonna go this year I go like every other year. Not the best con but local. I'll probably go to the lolita for newbs panels even though at this point I've researched at least the basics pretty thoroughly but maybe pick up a few useful bits of info. Mostly just need to make the jump and actually buy shit.
>>
>>9787098
Just as an FYI there are two different lolita for newbs panels usually. One is run by the comm here and one is run by some random person and isn't as good. Tread carefully.
>>
>>9787311
Which one is which? Any names I should look out for?
>>
>>9785217
Heyyyy I’m doing school uniform lulu with a suzaku!
>>
>>9786905
ah cool, thanks

if i'm planning on bringing a camera and doing photography, is it proper etiquette to get contact info and let the cosplayer preview/veto photos before posting them on social?
>>
I know the schedule's not up yet, but what are some of the best panels at AB? This'll be my first AB so I wanna see all the best ones.
>>
>>9787504
I have no clue what the rando one was called since I skipped it but the comm one is called "The Boston Lolita Society" so it should have that in the title and/or description

>>9787650
Bad Anime Bad
>>
>>9787773
Yeah Bad anime bad is worth going to once or twice but the guy never gets any new material.
>>
>>9787650
Bad Anime Bad is pretty good, but like >>9787784
said it gets old after you see it once or twice.
There's also a bootleg panel that's been there the last 2 years I think that was really fun, too.
If you can stay at the con late, there's 2 different fucked up hentai panels that are pretty funny. One of them is more about stupid stuff that's happened in hentai, and the other is just showcasing especially fucked up scenes from hentai vns.
>>
>>9785679
I live for comfy touhous, so please gather the motivation!
>>
>>9784142
Oh cool, Sheraton is still available.
>>
thisll be my first AB. Whens the earliest we can pick up our badges?
>>
File: The Hurting.jpg (38 KB, 1000x1000)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
whats the policy on fold-able chairs for props? i wanna do beowulf with lots of props and The Hurting is a required one, even if they boot it with a zip tie.

>>9790059
thursday 3pm to 8 and friday 830 am for pre registered. if your going friday id recommend getting there preferably around 8am or even earlier to beat the lines.
>>
>>9790059
>>9790083
The best time to pick up badges is Thursday evening--between 7 and 8. You don't have to sit through the massive line of people who arrived early and wanna pick up their badges asap as well as the people who get off work at 5. The last few years I'd go pick up my badge during this time and waited less than 5 minutes to get it.
>>
Is thursday a sort of "day 0" day or is no one there Thursday?
>>
>>9790344
yeah, people who want to chillax and settle in so you can walk right in come friday.

My best years was when i got to do that. Alot of people want to go on the cheap, so they opt to come in early friday and dump their crap at the hotel and go, and thats a pain if theres something you want to do early. if you can afford to splurge, go for the extra day with friends and check out some sights. Pour House, right outside behind the convention, is a good place for cheap good food and beer. cant go wrong with chicken 'n waffles with a beer!
>>
Does this con offer late night screenings? The ones that go on until like 3-4AM?
>>
>>9790821
Nah everything wraps up around 2. Boston is a lame city so nothing is ever open past 2.
>>
>>9791163
Seconded. There really isn't much to do in Boston and the downtown area is completely dead on the weekends. The Boston and Harvard art museums are good if you're into that but that's pretty much it. The aquarium is nice but it's mobbed by kids on field trips and it isn't like it's the only aquarium on the east coast. Boston isn't like NYC or Vegas where there's a zillion things to do.

Plan your visit around the con, not the city.
>>
FLOW's PLAYING
FLOW DUDES
>>
>>9791774
Can't wait to get high as shit and rock out to naruto OP's bro
>>
Are there gonna be any Voltron shoots at AB? Some friends and I decided to throw some fairly quick paladin costumes together and we were wondering if there were gonna be any "official" photoshoots.
>>
>>9788117
Hmmmm maybe. I'll be judging the cos contest for the masquerade all day Friday and most of Saturday so I'm still debating on if it's worth it to make something new
>>
Is anyone entering this sailor moon contest? Top prize is pretty decent money
>>
>>9792440
I haven’t seen anything about this. It’s an official event?
>>
>>9792664

Con is doing a shit job promoting it, probably because it's a Viz event and not AB alone: viz.com/blog/posts/calling-all-sailor-moon-cosplayers
>>
>>9792664
It is. Winner gets $3,000 and a trip to LA,
. Details are in the AB main page but they have limited signup slots.
>>
File: Bonesaw Is Ready.gif (840 KB, 500x262)
840 KB
840 KB GIF
>>9783972
None. I never do cosplay.
Gif related
I need to check the site and schedule.
As usual like past years. Looking for cosplaying chicks(I flirt with chicks anyway along with taking pics with them so yeah at least I don't do dumb stuff). Also checking out interesting panels and events.
If Video Games New York vendor is around again this year, I'll check out what new stuff they have this year. I'll check other vendors to see other neat stuff.
>>
I'm really excited this year. I'll be running a booth in artist alley!

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.