[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 82 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: AA-GENERAL.jpg (81 KB, 500x500)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
Previous Thread: >>9824185

>Please read the FAQ (always updating)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PpDyjw2LDxbupdvHMNsBUOBVB66Lzwf44RM1You1GDA/edit?usp=sharing
>Resources
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10uNmynwRn6CRc-OMqCeXmJwCNnEnd-vYi-7AQzSx74I/edit?usp=sharing
>Taobao/Alibaba services (broken link)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14zGSegr0b-429wZq5_xdMbE9hpLcXg8fqqe0OxnU2Yo/edit#gid=0
>Artist Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESQ-1h4IRUivbGNaxJFxXyDU1lSv26xTmMdH0sDX7sU/edit?usp=sharing
>How to order from Vograce (now with video on how to set up files)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18UxKnpgrmeb82NnW5e4YIEX-eZ3zHt178Mp6i0A5gME/edit?usp=sharing
>Convention List (always WIP)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13o7hD5xS3sDqVptnTVGUlRae3ovEE-vPPST_QOrQwtM/
>IP taketowns (based on artists contribution, may or may not have been a one time thing, use as a guideline)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1696MDhNPhrZ0ySZhXkoJnGxb7l1OjW4JsVhu1wKvaWE

remember to keep fit and have fun fellow seagulls
>>
>>9849703
No, jumps are pretty irrelevant. You'll likely also move into making charms or some other small merchandise that will cost $10 too.

>>9849720
This is more of a labeling issue and not a pricing one. As long as your prices make sense and are labelled some where, set pricing is normal. I would still do a over all deal to allow people and pick and choose though instead of only cutting deals with specific sets but that's really dependent on what your stock is and how many prints you have.
>>
>>9849316
Wanted to chime in on this, I'm unknown, my art's midrange and I merrily charge $20 for 12x18 which is not far from 11x17 in size at all. I do however, cater to specific fandoms and audiences that are eager to buy anything of that stuff they can find, so that's another angle to consider. If you're the only person in the entire alley with a print from x show and it's appealing enough as an image, people are more than happy to hand over that jackson.
>>
File: stressed.gif (498 KB, 250x150)
498 KB
498 KB GIF
>have a convention in NYC this weekend
>it's near Penn Station
>in NYC there are no parking lots attached to the buildings, only shitty awkward parking garages that can cost $50 a day.
>driving in Manhattan is terrible as fuck in general and stressful because congestion and gridlock almost all the time
>carrying a suitcase full of heavy supplies, like wire cubes and banner stands, will be impossible to carry on public transportation without help
>best option is to be driven in and dropped off with my stuff since you can't park anywhere.
>Con is Sat n Sun
>load in time on Friday is 8am - 4pm.
>my sister and bro-in-law who are helping me out won't be available to come with me on Friday cuz they workin
>could also set up Saturday morning, but have to be there at 7 and con opens to public at 9am
>it's a 45 min drive away and sister and bro-in-law have a 3 year old so it would be difficult to leave that early

I guess I could have my dad drive me in, but he's kinda been an awkward asshole lately. How the fuck do I transport my shit there.
>>
Do you think charm size has an effect on if it'll sell more or less?

I usually make 3inch charms and sell them for $12. But ive seen people sell 2.5inch charms for $12, so im going to downsize mine, so cost will be less for me. Hoping the size change doesn't have an effect on my charms selling
>>
>>9850048
Where are you coming in from. Trains stop right at Penn and it's not hard to go around with two suitcases
>>
FYI NYCC artist alley applications are open until May 11, 2018! http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/Industry-Info/2018-Artist-Alley-Table-Request/
>>
>>9850063
I charge $12 for my 1.5-2" charms if they have very different front/back designs that require more work. I charge $15 for my 2.5-3" charms. I think your'e right, either size down or up your prices, whatever you're most comfortable with. I doubt 0.5" will affect sales.
>>
>>9850048
I worked for a company that had us frequently fly and travel with boxes of stock for cons. I had to haul boxes around on the train in New York. It's a bit of a pain but I transported stuff in 50 pound 16x16x18 heavy duty moving boxes. I strapped them to a dolly with bungie cables to keep them in place. You could easily do that with plastic totes instead of cardboard boxes.
>>
>>9850076
Staten Island

Kinda hard to haul a suitcase on an express bus
>>
>>9850087
If anyone here gets accepted do you want to split a table with me?
I’m local but I never get in.
>>
Been lurking for a while now, gathering information on how to go about all this, and finally mustered the courage to open an Etsy shop.
I sold out completely the first day.
T-Thanks you guys, everyone and everything here was so helpful. ;_;
>>
>>9850774
Holy shit good job anon
>>
>>9850048
Is uber/lyft not an option? Not the cheapest thing but my con revenue usually comfortably covers those sort of expenses.
>>
File: 71ehLQJJ7DL._SL1200_.jpg (178 KB, 1200x1200)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
Someone in the last thread suggested to me to use these since they are light weight. I've never seen anyone use these (or at least close up), does anyone have any examples of tables using these?

Also if anyone has used plastic pipes and this, which would you prefer?
>>
I just wanted to thank you guys for encouraging me to sell my prints for $15 and not $10, I had my first con a couple weeks ago and I made like, a lot more than I expected. I got lots of sales on my prints. I was just worried that my art wasn't 'good enough' but I was just putting myself down I think.
>>
Yo how do you guys deal with someone hawking their sales loudly and obnoxiously next to you? I had an artist next to me screeching that she was having a buy one get one print sale for like the last hour of Alley on Sunday. Straight up yelling down the aisle about it on repeat. A lot of other artists where giving her stink eye and I tried mentioning to her that I was approaching a migraine and she's just like "I gotta do what I gotta do to sell lol". Umm. No. It's tacky and disruptive.
>>
>>9850993
Here's one. I used a similar setup but switched to a photo backdrop. They weigh about the same but the cubes take up a lot of luggage space that I can't miss, and I got really damn tired of setting up and breaking down the cubes every single con. Made my hands hurt before the con even started. I liked that they gave my art a nice dark background though, it made my table feel like its own little corner. I feel my table looks less cohesive with the backdrop. Still looking for solutions to that.
>>
>>9851008
If talking to her directly doesn't work, talk to AA staff and ask them to ask her to stop. That's part of what we're there for.
>>
>>9851029
NAYRT but aww, I was looking into these because I thought they'd be lighter than the wire ones for travel. I do like how clean they look though. I've been debating between these (the white ones) and pipes, but I don't have a ton of prints so I'm concerned about the pipes contributing to making my table look really empty--trying to think of creative pipe setups but not sure how creative you can really get with them haha.
>>
>>9850914
NAYRT but Uber and Lyft are extremely expensive in NY, it's highly recommended to take public transport instead
>>
>>9850107
Is there no SIR stops near you that would travel northbound to Manhattan? I'm not familiar with SIR but I've taken LIRR to Manhattan for AnimeNYC, hard to lug around huge luggage but far cheaper than taxi and more comfortable than subway
>>
>>9850048
take an uber
>>
>>9851044
Ah, sorry, I meant the wire cubes and the photo backdrop weigh about the same total. The wire cubes are definitely heavier.
Take a look at pinterest for some creative pipe setups, there's tons of setup inspiration there.
>>
>>9851090
Christ, I can't type.
The plastic cubes I posted a picture of and the average photo backdrop weigh about the same. Grid cubes are much heavier.
>>
>>9851046
But if public transport is not an option due to luggage, sometimes you just have to eat the costs for the sake of convenience.
>>
>>9850048

Honestly, anon, you're frustrating. I get that you're mostly just venting about your situation. But it also sounds like you're manufacturing a lot of excuses. People offer you advice and you have an excuse for each one. This is something you need to figure out on your own if you're going to do cons. Sometimes you will end up in these tough situations and you need to learn to strategize and handle yourself. My group of friends all do AA so we carpool, or travel together to help each other. If I have to travel on my own, I recruit a non aa friend to come along and handle my extra baggage. If I can't do that, I downsize the amount I carry, for example, you don't need to bring your full stock on the first day, bring a suitcase worth and then bring more the next day, then transport part of it home early in the extra case so you only ever have one case at a time. Point is, you're creating the problem you're trying to solve, when you need to learn to think around it.
>>
>>9851046
I took Lyft to anime NYC no issues there. Just gotta factor in that last 80$ as costs.
>>
>Very very new and just bought my first Vendor Booth to share with a friend
>a little overwhelmed with how much I’m going to make for this con
>person I’m splitting the booth with is pretty well known
>barely have 5 sales on website

Well we all have to start somewhere? Looking for some display inspo for jewelry and decoden cases
>>
>>9851090
Oooh ok sorry, it's me that can't read haha. Thanks for the tip! I might end up incorporating both pipes and grids but I'll see--pipe style stands do seem to be /much/ easier and faster to set up and take down.
>>
>>9851334
Online presence doesn't always translate to at con sales and vice versa. I had like 40k followers on various social media but turned out majority of them are overseas... Still made a lot of sales at the cons thoug. Best to focus on selling items the con goers want to buy
>>
>>9851334
i sell sweets deco and setup like a bakery
>>
hey does anyone know whats the appropriate size open rings to get for 2inch charms? I ordered 5mm and it was way too small, big mistake D is it 8mm? 10mm? please help! I gotta order quick
>>
Turning the age old profit question around and gonna ask, how much do you guys spend prepping for a single con?

Is $800 a reasonable cost budget for Fanime? It's somewhat local for me so no flights needed, but still obviously staying at a hotel, and keeping in mind that I'm mostly doing this as a hobby.

For reference, I made $300 at another one-day local con about 1/20th of this one's size (after putting in about $150 and not taking commissions that day), and I've heard good things bout Fanime AA profits, but seeing the costs pile up to be more than a month's rent is still terrifying...
>>
>>9850048
You're a little bitch anon

WEH my senpai won't drive me, WEH Uber/lyft/Juno is too expensive, WEH public transport is hard

Maybe table when you've stopped wearing a diaper and sucking your mums tit
>>
>>9851232
>People offer you advice and you have an excuse for each one

What? I've only replied once and that was here
>>9850107

As for the solution, I found out that the con actually opens at 10am to the general public, 9am is for early admission passes. I was able to find a ride to get me there at 8am, so it's all good.
I would try and take public transportation, but whether I take bus, train or ferry, it'll take at least at hour and 30 mins. But by car it'll take 45 mins.

I've worked in Manhattan for almost 4 years. I know what I'm dealing with here.
>>
>>9850774
Congrats! Thats pretty impressive! My partner is opening her shop this week and has a large online following always bugging her for access to things she sells at cons, so i'm hoping something similar happens to her to boost her confidence.

>>9851456
I use 7 and 8mm mostly for my 1 and 2 inch charms. I have 9mm ones for adding stars on so they can move around a little more.

>>9850993
I use these and i love them way more than my original grid cubes. My set doesnt hurt my hands at all, and i like to make a cubby or two within the display to have shelves for my items, as well as somewhere to tuck my stuff away each night's close-up. Works really well, and i tend to be able to fit all my stock into one big suitcase+backpack. If you're flying southwest, you can usually get 2 checked bags free, so even if you have more stock, you can manage. Most artists who do a fuck ton of prints have the photo backdrops, but since i sell a variety of things i find these cubes work best for me.
>>
>>9851542
Fanime is an expensive con because the bay area is expensive. I'm looking at roughly $1700 in costs and I usually come away with $5000ish.
>>
What do you guys usually charge for commissions?
I have a table at a comic book convention coming up, and I know a lot of people like to have commissions done in a sketchbook or on a comic book sketch cover

I plan to charge commissions based on whether they just want pencils, inked pieces or copic colored pieces.

Is charging $30 for a penciled sketchbook commission too high or too low? I was then going to charge $50 for inked and $70 for colored.

Should the same amount be charged for comic book sketch covers?

If a customer requests a commission thats not in a sketchbook or sketch cover, I have 9 X 12 Bristol or 11 X 17 paper. I was thinking of only doing character headshots/busts on 9 X 12 paper and 11 X 17 paper for full body.

I don't want to give too many options to overwhelm customers, but the last time I had a table, when I only had the 9 X 12 and 11 X 17 options, I was asked to do sketchbook commissions and put on the spot how much I charged.
I'm also worried if I have a customer asking for something specific, like multiple characters in one scene.

TL;DR, What to charge for commissions, and should sketchbooks, sketch covers and 9 X 12s be the same prices?
>>
What's with the bad gateway problems today?
>>
>>9851720
I'm going to get chewed for this, but you need to consider what your audience is. People like to go "the pro rates are so and so" but if your following are a bunch of teenage kids, you'd have more luck getting blood from a rock than charging them $100.

A good rule is trying to work by demand. If you're getting overwhelmed or have a waitlist you can charge higher, if you don't enough customers to fill your time, you should charge lower. As for picky customers, most artist specify no changes in sketches or additional prices for more complicated pieces.
>>
What is up with the bad gateway problems today?
>>
>>9851404
That sounds adorable, anon.
>>
>>9851614
>I've worked in Manhattan for almost 4 years. I know what I'm dealing with here.

So why the fuck were you posting here about it like it was the worst problem??
>>
>>9851542
It cost me about $1200 last year but I have to fly in and room alone since I have no AA friends.
>>
>>9852034
Did you make enough profit that made it worth it?
>>
>dumb question... where can i go just to print a few personal postcards (<5 or so)
i still don't think my art is worth printing but my friends wanted a postcard
>>
>>9850774
Damn congrats anon!!

>>9850048
Just a single suitcase?? Just take public transport. I have literally taken NJ transit into Pen station and then trains to Manhattan with a giant bag of stock before, it's not bad, and honestly it takes less time to take the sub than to drive.
>>
>>9852107
I would think that most printing places (even UPS) has cardstock to print on, so I suggest printing a couple postcards on one letter sheet (unless they have a bigger sheet to fit 3 postcards) and then cutting them out.
>>
Who else got a nice spot for fanime :) ?
>>
>>9852237
I think it's a pretty nice spot
I've usually leaned towards being right next to the doors the past couple of years, but I decided to go for a corner table in the middle row this time.
>>
>>9852098
I only made about $300 in actual profit (idk how much having my table in a corner under a broken light factored into this) so 'worth it' is highly debatable in that sense, but I had way more people at fanime actively interested in my work in a way I've gotten at no other convention (including several people who took my card and went on to commission something from me later)
>>
>>9851720
I do headshot only sketches for about $30, but then again I have a large following and they sell out fast. I would do full bodies but they take too long, I'd rather be able to get to more customers
>>
Where can I get nice postcards made for a good price? Preferably with a stamp area on the back and lines to write on
>>
>>9852237
Got a nice prime spot on the main traffic lane =D
Didn't get the corner though =/
>>
I was stuck at work so I picked my table at fanime late. Am I screwed or does fanime have enough traffic in the back areas.
>>
>>9852336
I can't see what's left but pretty much all that remained after the first three or four minutes were pretty slim pickings. Most of the tables near the very back by the window don't get the best traffic.
>>
>>9852339
Not sure where the windows are but I got a spot near the exit. Most of the top area was still available including the corners but I was thinking that people avoided those for a reason.
>>
>>9852336
desu there's nowhere in fanime that's really "bad" except the 1700 - 1900 area. if there are empty tables it's usually in the 1900 row so some people don't bother walking around there
>>
>>9852342
Yeah, the top side is the windows. The bottom exit area is a lot better, since the exits are actually also entrances so, there's a lot more traffic flow.
>>
What are better? Pipes or photo back drops? or are they basically the same thing?

(not my pic but related)
>>
>>9852516
Most of my friends have switched to photo back drops, but some conventions don't allow them.

Pipes in all honesty are clunky and the arms can be a pain to set up, clamps get in the way but stubs like pictured aren't stable. I'm sticking with them for now because overall I think they're easier to transport as they fit in my suitcase; a lot of artist I've seen have an entire separate bag for their stands and that's not very ideal for me as I have so much already when I'm traveling.
>>
>>9852416
I thought it'd be like that too, but it seems like most of the bigger artists are on the top side. I think I may have made a mistake.
>>
>>9852534
>but stubs like pictured aren't stable

Just adding, I use a setup like that and it's super stable, you just have to make sure to use extra connectors so that it leans slightly forward on the extra legs. But I agree with the rest, photo backdrops are more professional.
>>
File: test.png (62 KB, 1728x612)
62 KB
62 KB PNG
>>9852587
Well, it's just an anecdote, but in 2016 my friends that were seated near the top had awful sales day one, and then were given an opportunity to move to an empty table bottom left corner next to the exits (these were the last places to fill up so I'm assuming you mean that area) and their sales basically tripled. Part of that could be the fri vs sat numbers, but I definitely didn't triple my friday sales on saturday.

Anyways, these screenshots were taken at one min and and three min in, so being up top didn't seem undesirable as long as it wasn't the very very top.
>>
>>9852516
I like having a combination! Photo stand for the back and separate arms made of pvc pipes in the side. I've seen some people connect the arms to their photo stands or use the grids too. The easy set up of photo stands is just super convenient
>>
File: mappo2.png (37 KB, 866x633)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
>>9852631
This is almost two hours past the start if anyone cared
>>
>>9852656
I wonder who the masochists at 1915/1914 are. They nabbed those tables right at the start even when lots of other options were available.
>>
>>9852669

they could potentially be guest tables or something similar, the staff block (1111 though 1007) are also blocked off immediately so maybe it's the same deal?
>>
>>9852669
I like masochists!
>>
>>9852669
Also might be two friends who care more about being next to each other than where they're seated, so they went for seats they knew they could get.
>>
For those applying to conbravo, were we sent a confirmation email that we filled out the form? I’m doubting myself now.
>>
>>9852656
Do people not know there's 2 entrances at the bottom too? Those remaining spots get way better traffic than a lot of the upper blocks
>>
>>9852857
I think people are assuming "entrances" and "exits" are mutually exclusive, but since Fanime checks badges downstairs, there's no actual order and people can go in and leave from wherever. I've always had amazing sales right between the two "exits".

The bottom left corner does get the worst traffic out of the bottom half, but nowhere near as bad as the very top.
>>
>>9852656
>>9852857

Yeah I was gonna say, last year and the year before had in and out traffic constantly around those late 100-200 tables because they were letting people come and go through them. No one was coming around the the side like AA said they would be, so that whole 900-1100 section didn't get as much traffic as they expected while that back corner was always packed.
>>
>>9852863
Imho the 900-1100 was the best section to be, still. It's the widest area and it gave people room to peruse, as where in the 100-200 area it was jam packed and a lot of people were just rushing by instead of stopping.
>>
So what are the best fanime tables?
>>
Anyone have experience with MGX Copy for their prints? I'm looking into alternatives.
>>
>>9851542
I'm probably going to spend minimum 3k in stocking costs for fanime

I've already dropped maybe 1.5k? + 700 for hotel
I sold out of a LOT last year and I have a lot of new items for fanime so I'm expecting good sales
>>
>currently at a 2 day con that I paid $400 for a table
>spent around $100 for prints and display stuff

>have only earned $208 so far. It is now 3 and the con ends at 6

Whelp, looks like I'm not going to even break even here. At least I got to meet some cool people.
>>
>>9853178
$400 table fee for a small 2-day event is highway robbery. How many attendees? Am I wrong in assuming it's under 5K?
>>
>>9853181
There's a lot of people, but its in Manhattan, so that's probably why the steep price. It also has a lot of big comic book guests. I'm doing another con in May at a local show that costs only $20 a table, so I'm hoping I can recoup my losses there.
>>
>>9853178
I really hope $400 was for a dealer table and not artist alley table.
>>
>>9852865

Except hardly anyone came through the side doors but okay.
>>
How much do people charge for individual stickers nowadays? I was looking at 3" ones but people's prices vary from $1-$6. It's a big jump so I can't tell.
>>
>>9853364
$2 for a single sticker if it actually looks high quality and not on cheap printer paper with cheap ink.
>>
>>9853364
Depends on whether its vinyl or paper.
Water proof, UV resistant vinyl stickers are more like $5
Cheaper paper ones are $1
>>
>>9853390
>>9853375
Yeah, vinyl. I just got 2 different price points again so I may lean towards the $5 for lack of change needed. I'm not sure if people would really spend that much on a sticker though.
>>
>>9853466
I sell to the car/itasha market, and they'd definitely pay that much for waterproof UV resistant stickers that they can put on their cars. I keep the same pricing around cons and they don't do that bad either.
>>
>>9853178
What con?

I did a con in Manhattan a couple months ago and it was d e a d
Lucky the table was only $60 though.
>>
>>9853178
It was Big Apple Con right? I hate that cons in the city do that. Mocca Fest too. They don't have the traffic for the insane prices they charge.
>>
>>9853350
the hell you on?
I was in the lane with the side exit and we got a pretty steady flow of people who also looped back down to the bottom exit.

The only place that's really truly dead is the area near the windows.
>>
>>9852838
I'm pretty sure we did.
>>
>>9853348
Nope, was for Artist Alley. I guess they price it that high because they get big name comic guests like Jim Lee and Neal Adams.

>>9853603
Big Apple Comic Con

A lot of other artists said it was better last year. It didn't help that the weather was shitty on Sunday. The coordinator was already asking around if we'd like to make a deposit for a table next year. I'd said I'd have to see since I don't know what will be happening one year from now.

>>9853614
Yep. I was told this con gets a ton a traffic so I went for it. A lot of the attendees seemed to only go for the big name comic industry artists and writers. I sat next to an artist who was the co-creator of Rogue.
A lot of cool people did stop by my table to talk and compliment my work, took business cards, did an interview, etc. So I'm hoping I at least made some valuable connections
>>
>>9853890
I made the mistake of going to NY Comic Book Market a few years ago and it was the same deal really. Con experiences can be unrelated to making money so hopefully something good comes from it.
>>
>>9853890
>>9853910
>>9853603
I feel like, with comic book shows, most of the fans are there for the comic book legends.
Unless you're a comic book artist or writer with a following, it's hard to really get noticed. I've seen fantastic artists at comic book shows get overlooked. Even though the content they were selling was comic book-related, most people want to see actual comic work, not a cute watercolor illustration of Poison Ivy. They tended to sell more to fans who had kids. Kids love cartoons and video games, so a cute cartoony drawing of Wonder Woman would probably sell better to kids than the fat smelly 40+ year old who's only there at the show to get his comic books signed by his favorite comic writer.

This is just a case of finding the right audience.
>>
Did anyone else end up owing thousands more in taxes than you expected?

Taking out a loan to pay my taxes today just feels like a living hell.
>>
File: image (2).jpg (313 KB, 1080x1080)
313 KB
313 KB JPG
>>9853466
What price did you get quoted for the vinyl stickers?
it should be around .80-1.50 per, maybe 2.00 if you're doing a complicated cut.

Itasha car people like >>9853581 said will pay up to like $8 a stickers depending on what it is desu.
>>
>>9853931
Did you hold 20% of your earnings?

Did you do all your deductions right?
>>
>>9853931
I did but the I didn't take out a loan, i just put too much into my investment accounts the previous year so i had to take some out. You really should just hold back like 30% of your income just for taxes if you're paying self employment taxes.
>>
do "buy 2 get 1 free" deals mean that you basically buy 1 print and get the second one for free or does it mean you actually buy 2 prints and get a third one for free?
i know it's sort of a dumb question but english isn't my native language and i keep seeing those deals in table setups pictures without knowing what they're even supposed to mean
>>
>>9854277
It means they purchase 2 prints and get a 3rd one for free.

So for "15$ Each. Buy 2 Get 1 Free" they would spend $30 and get 3 prints.
>>
>>9854292

.........................thank you so much for your explanation.
>>
>>9853938
not the other poster but do you think charging $2 per sticker for small stickers (around 2 inches) would be ok?
>>
>>9852631
>>9852656
when it comes to table placement, as a general rule, best to worst:

- a table near the entrance(s) of the alley, preferably facing the entrance so people you as soon as they walk in.
- a table in the 'main' alley that is closest to the entrance. People often walk into the alley and go down the first lane they see, so being there means you have the most exposure.
- in the convention center has windows (rare) a table near the windows. People will be subconsciously attracted to the windows and want to spend more time there.
- Near, but not next to, very popular artists. ideally being across the aisle from them. (being next to them will result in your table being obscured by their crowd and most people just passing by your table to look their things instead)
- Near rest areas.
- Near bathrooms.
- Near food stands (this does less to help exposure because people try to avoid food stands at cons and the few who don't are going to be reluctantly paying $10 for a hamburger and are less likely to want to buy art stuff afterward).
>>
whats best stock for art prints?
>>
>>9854799
Honestly, it's personal preference. I'm a bougie bitch and I love shimmer paper but obviously I can't use it for every single one of my prints.

When I flew around for cons, though, I usually went with a lighter stock because fuck carrying around more pounds than I need to lol
>>
>>9854450
The general go to base rate is $1 per inch. But you can fidget around with those rates.
>>
Hello guys. Do you list your prints with the buy 2 get 1 deal? If so, how do you go about doing it?

I'm about to list some prints and want to do the deal, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I was thinking of making a separate item listing at $0 if they've already have two of the same size prints in their cart. Then they'd make a note of which print they wanted for free? Is there an easier way to do this?
>>
>>9853931

If you're making more than 600 you should be paying estimated taxes which usually prevents this issue, if you correctly estimate how much you should pay in. Then you're not spending money all year that you don't technically have.
>>
>>9854822
I've always just listed my prints in a group listing and have them select how many they want with a little (+1 free print) at 2 or more prints bought, and tell them to write what prints they would like in a note.

If you do this i would recommend labeling the prints on the actual listing image itself with numbers or letters for clarity.
>>
>>9853065
I'm curious what your stuff is like?
What do you sell, prints, charms or what?

Its going to be my first time AA at a big con and I calculated all my costs and its almost totaling to around 3.5k+ maybe more - that is including hotel, pass, table, stock, supplies etc.

Is that too much? I would consider myself an decent artist (working in the industry) with but just never did business like this before before.
>>
is anyone else going to liverpool sunnycon?
>>
>>9854822
Depending on what shopping site you use, you could just make a coupon code for [cost of one print] off if they spend [cost of three prints] on [print category].
>>
>>9854991
Not the anon you are quoting, but I've also spent 3k so far on stocking merch for fanime alone (local so no other costs for me really than the table) - However I do 25-30 cons a year so I kind of know which cons bring in money from experience. Fanime is one of them fortunately, so if this is your first BIG con then dropping that much wasn't a bad idea. Of course it's really important what merch you invested in exactly in- I can't tell you what does well because it's so specific per artist (Artist A will sell 25 prints of a design while Artist B will sell 5 prints, whereas Artist A will sell 6 charms and Artist B will sell 30, etc) so hopefully you did a smaller con prior and saw what moved for you and invested in that. I've noticed more and more recently that quality of art is less of a factor than the type of merch and series (Example, I'm not the best artist but I sold 80 copies of one design before at one con because I was the only one in the AA with a print of that particular series) so prior experience helps, but being smart about your investments is the #1 factor.
I hope this fanime goes great for you, best of luck.
>>
>>9853931
Yes, I've fucked up a few years in a row but in 2017 I got my shit together and only owed 300 bucks in federal taxes because I paid my quarterly estimates right. If you're using TurboTax it'll give you pre-filled quarterly tax forms to send out over the year, so utilize those. If you need a quick, easy loan I've used Upstart in the past and it was alright. Sorry for your troubles, anon. Get on top of your books NOW because this shit will bury you.
>>
>>9854799
I like light glossy card stock--the heavy cardstock is nice too, but honestly a lot heavier. Anything thinner than light cardstock is a little questionable, though, so I wouldn't go lighter than that. Some of my friends went to Kinkos/Fedex for their prints and I don't even know what stock they got, but they basically wrinkled as soon as they got into the customer's hands. People say customers don't care about stock but honestly as a customer myself I'd be like "why tf are you charging me $15 for this nice piece of tissue paper?"
>>
>>9854991
Charms and 11x17s are my best sellers at any con and I'm going to have a lot of things I didn't have last year and I try to have good variety in series and merch types. I'm local(driving) and have an online shop+summer cons so I'm over ordering on some things knowing I'll be fine to sell them later. It's hard to tell which charm will sell 50 and which one will only move 3.
Also like >>9855068 I do several cons a year, usually 10 medium-big ones so I have a pretty good idea which items move best.

If you know you have pretty good art I don't think 3.5k is bad, assuming you've spread it out to different items: prints, buttons, charms, stickers, etc. Usually I'd say that's too much BUT for a big con with a small AA like fanime you should be able to make back your costs.
Since I don't know what merch you've invested in, I'd suggest making sure you have merch that's easy to mix and match especially buttons and charms. Those kinds of small items are way easier to get people to buy multiple.

Good luck though! Doing a big con can be really scary, but also really fun!
>>
>>9855417
I norm go at least 70-100 lb cover stock. It's worth it.
>>
I’m not the best at English so I’m sorry if this is written weird.
When my friend who does aa first started tabling, I would pay her the cost of a badge so I could have the spare badge and help out at her table. We were both teenagers and financially dependent on our parents and mine were much more well off so I didn’t see a problem in lifting the burden a little bit. The problem is that we still do this years later. I didn’t start thinking it was weird until I saw people saying they paid their table helpers rather than the other way around. We are both financially independent at this point and she even makes more than me, so I don’t like spending the extra money just so I can sit at a table for twelve hours. How can I bring this up without sounding like a dick?
>>
>>9855724
Tell her what you told us. Other table helpers are the ones being paid. You don't mind helping her, however, you certainly should not be the one paying to help her out. You're being taken advantage of big time here. Is she really a friend?
>>
>>9855724
The only time I make my table helper pay me anything is if they are selling stuff at my table too. if you aren't splitting the table or have a small spot for your stuff, you shouldn't be paying anything.
>>
File: wtfisthis.png (12 KB, 810x172)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
Help - is this really true? I haven't tabled at Fanime before but this rule is really weird? Has this been true for previous years? Why would they not allow helpers to help set up at AA? I have a lot of stuff I will definitely need help with
>>
>>9853890
I think the con would've been better if they seperated the new independent artists in their own section and not intertwine them with the big name comic veterans. Kinda hard to sell your work if you're in the shadow of a big name comic artist.

The placement of the tables were pretty funny too. Toshio Maede, who is known as the father of hentai and creator of La Blue Girl was two tables away from a Disney artist.
>>
>>9854569
>Near, but not next to, very popular artists. ideally being across the aisle from them

This happened to me when I was at NYCC for the first time.
I don't have a huge internet following, but I had started a webcomic which may have helped me get a table. This was also the very first time I ever had an artist alley table.

Unfortunately, my table was wedged between two artists with huge internet followings, BlueDestiny and ArtistAbe. It was a little disheartening to see a crowd of people at both their stands and totally pass by mine. Or worse, knock my shit over. Still made around $900-$1000 over the course of 4 days. I'm going to try to build an internet following and post my work more frequently on social media.
>>
How high can we set up our displays at fanime? I think I read somewhere that it can be up to 6 ft ABOVE the table but I'm not sure if thats correct or if they meant 6ft overall (not including table)? Anyone know?
>>
>>9853914
NYART but I do a lot of comic book shows and haven't really experience what you're talking about. I've tabled next to professionals in the industry and have done just as well if not better than them. The audience at comic cons tend to skew older than anime cons so they actually have a ton of spending money.

What makes or breaks how you do at a comic show largely depends on your style and on the variety of your fandoms. People with overtly anime style seem to consistently do worse at comic conventions. I have a style that's solidly in the middle (cartoony with some anime elements) so it's easier for me to transition back and forth. I've also seen people try to table at a comic con with majority anime or Japanese fandoms (there are a couple of exceptions here: Sailor Moon, Pokemon, LoZ are received well regardless and "normie" animes like BNHA and OPM are also best sellers) and end up flopping.

A watercolor print of Poison Ivy has potential to do really well at a comic con. For a while, my best selling prints were a set of Ivy, Catwoman, and Harley. But you have to know your audience and read up on the source material so you can actually make work that appeals to them. It also helps to have things in sets because then it'll incentivize people to spend more at your table. The problem with relying only on Poison Ivy is that like 90% of the other artists at a comic con will also have some sort of a Poison Ivy thing. You can also do other pop culture things - Stranger Things, Game of Thrones, whatever thing a normie might find "nerdy" (especially if there are guests from said fandom attending).

I agree that it's a case of finding the right audience but your analysis of the regular comic con goer might be a little off base.

>>9855794
Oh man, I love ArtistAbe! I tabled next to him once and he was the sweetest dude. That's still a very good number considering it was only your first time tabling. I hope your future experiences at NYCC will go more smoothly.
>>
>>9855794
It baffles me that cons won't just do what the japanese do and have staffers form a line for big name artists, with the line being cut off where the other tables begin and then if necessary, a second line outside of the table area.
>>
Do customers care if a print has the natural white border that comes from printing or if they want a full bleed? I dont think I have time to cut the borders off and think they look fine but... do full bleed posters do better?
>>
>>9855809
Literally no one cares(I care) but it has never stopped a customer from buying. They just want the art, and some say it's easier to put in a frame with the white border.
>>
I'm curious, those who've tabled comic books shows: Do you sell comics there? How well have they sold? I've only sold at anime cons, and had surprisingly better sales of comics/zines than I'd expect. Is it different when every table has comics?
>>
>>9855809
When it came to prints the factor was more the size then anything. I've never seen anybody complain about a white border.
>>
>>9855773
I'd like to have this question answered as well as its my first time at AA- anyone?
>>
>>9855809
I've known countless artists who have had to reprint at con because of running out of stock and it always has the borders since Staples/Fedex/etc doesn't offer full bleed and I've never once seen a customer complain about it.

It's really not a big deal, but full bleeds tend to look more professional unless the borders are intentional for framing.
>>
>>9855724
hmm correct me if i am wrong, but it sounds like in the past when you were kids, you took it as more enjoyment and paying to get into the con to have fun and hang out. But now it seems to be all work and not much play if at all, so paying to work makes no sense.

Perhaps bring it up framing it like that? Your friend may not be taking advantage of you, they may genuinely think you just want to go to the con and have fun and are paying your own way so maybe try something like: Hey, cons alone just aren't very fun for me anymore and have become to be work alone so I don't really want to pay just to work all weekend and don't have a budget for paying all this just to work really. If she needs your help she can offer to cover your badge and time but otherwise you could just be off the hook for helping if she doesn't need your help anymore.

>>9855801
6 feet above should be safe, no con is as low as 6 feet total not even AX with it's archaically strict heights
>>
>>9855773
How do they know the difference between a helper and the person running the table? What about tables that are split?
I'd ignore it.
>>
>>9855773
>>9855847
That definitely was not there in previous years. Also, they give everyone just a holographic sticker to distinguish their badges, so they really wouldn't be able to tell artists vs helpers apart unless something changed.
>>
hey guys new to cgl and have been reading through the artist alley sticky. Im thinking of doing my first AA because a lot if people have suggested I do it, and was wondering how cons keep track of what the artists sold. I see a lot of you talking about filing taxes and such and am new to selling art as a businee and didnt see any info in the sticky. Also good luck to you guys talking about fanime, ill be going with my friends and while i might not know who you guys are, chances are ill be looking at some of your stuff.
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 473x390)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>9855978
sorry for the typos, having a quick drink while taking a break on some art.
>>
>>9855978
>how cons keep track of what the artists sold
They don't.
A con doesn't care how much you sell.
Regarding taxes, although credit card transactions could be traced, it would be difficult to find evidence to prove you are or aren't lying regarding your cash sales. Honor system. You shouldn't lie your on taxes but there's no one tracking your table transactions to prove that you aren't.
>>
>>9852534
Why do some cons not allow them?
>>
I apologize for this being like, my third question about pipes and backdrops but this should be my last.

What's the best way to display everything but still be able to grab a print for someone off if it had sold out? Do you just take them all down? Don't you have to tape them all together to hang? Doesn't that ruin the prints? Or do you guys just keep some prints for display only?

Sorry for all the questions, I tried googling it and didn't have luck. I only have experience with grids
>>
>>9856221
most people keep a set of display prints and use 'sold out' signs or stickers.
>>
>>9856221
Display prints are for display, not sale. But if someone really wanted it, I would tell them to pick it up at the end of the con. Messing with your display midcon is a recipe for disaster.
>>
>>9856230
I was worried putting sold out on something might make my table look bad? I might just be overthinking it tho idk
>>
>>9855773
The reason someone artists get helpers is to help with setup/teardown lmao. How are they even going to know who's actually an artist?
>>
>>9856235
No? If anything, it makes it looks like your business is going well and perhaps hurry a potential buyer into making a purchase. If almost everything is sold out and the buyer doesn't have enough choice selection, then it might be a bad thing, but otherwise I would say it's just neutral-good.
>>
>>9856235
you are definitely over thinking it lol. Especially if it's just a small sign on the corner of the print or something. If anything I find having 'sold out' stickers out mean people are less likely to hem and haw about actually buying something or 'come back for it later'
>>
>>9856234
This. I usually tell them that if they want the final copy of any product to come back at the end of the convention, and I won't sell it before then.
>>
>>9850993
I know its old but Ill dump what I have

It may only be a few though
>>
File: asf.jpg (197 KB, 594x576)
197 KB
197 KB JPG
>>9856255
>>
>>9856256
>>
>>9856259
>>
File: 20180418_091035.png (2.85 MB, 1440x1784)
2.85 MB
2.85 MB PNG
>>9850993
Not the other person posting but here
>>
>have a sign with print and commissiob prices on table
>price tags on prints

>customers still ask how much a prints cost

Are people really that oblivious? It feels like I need a giant flashing price tags
>>
>>9856512
You could have a giant flashing price tag that also screamed the prices every 5 seconds and they'd still ask you.
>>
>>9856514
That's the best idea. Will people get offended if I steal that idea?
>>
>>9856259
One of my favorite artists, so awesome to see their growth!

>>9856419
I want to wear an apron at my table too, more pockets to hold change and such. Plus I like how that artist has her art printed on the front, could be nice to have something similar done for my apron.
>>
>>9856512
I have a sign directly in the middle of my table, and people will walk up and stand directly in front of that sign and ask me what my prices are.

I don't even care if someone picks something up and asks how much a specific thing is, but I hate when they just ask how much everything is without even looking for a price list first.
>>
>>9856512
At one con I had a price tag on every single print and people still asked...
>>
>>9856512
First thing you learn doing artist alley is no one reads. Having one sign might as well be as good as having 20, get used to repeating your prices in a quick and succinct way.
>>
>>9855729
>>9855766
>>9855879
Thank you all for giving me the courage to bring this up. She was extremely apologetic and didn’t even realize what had been going on. She even offered to pay all of the backlog, haha! All is well now, thank you anons.
>>
I really just have to rant and get it out somewhere because I just keep thinking about it...

I can accept a mistake or accident. I can forgive you easily! What pisses me the fuck off is that you don't own up to it or attempt to assess it.

I just did a con where my neighbor accidentally(?) knocked over my coffee all over my backpack and 80-some Copic markers.

Maybe it was my fault for having a drink on my table, though well behind the grid cube set up. I was working on commissions non stop (posted last thread about it being my first con), and the next thing I know, there's a huge spill all over my markers and art bag on the floor. I have no idea how she did it, considering these were those fancy individual cloth booths with a couple feet between tables, but the bitch just said "sorry" in the most snotty way and moved to the opposite end of her table where she continued to sell her shit.

My boyfriend was scrambling to get napkins from the food vendors, and it wasn't enough. I then had to run around to find a janitor to get a roll of paper towels. All this took a good half hour away from work and sales time, while the bitch next to me didn't say a fucking word or offer a hand. I really hope karma eats you. This doesn't include the time I had to spend washings my bag, materials, and cleaning all my copics post con.
>>
>>9856968
>but the bitch just said "sorry" in the most snotty way and moved to the opposite end of her table where she continued to sell her shit.
That's where you should have demanded she pay for the clean up.
>>
>>9856968
The way you tell it, honestly sounds like she did it on purpose. Was her table less busy than yours?
>>
>>9856970
>>9856970
I was passive aggressive and said something along the lines of, "Usually when people spill something, they should at least offer to help clean it up."

Actually she got a lot more sales because she had a huge selection of pins. But from what my partner and I could pick up over the weekend, was that she didn't get any commissions and was constantly advertising that she would do them (as I was the anon from last thread that had to keep turning people away from getting too many commissions). I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but she was definitely bringing in a lot more money than me from her pins.
>>
Should I make an album of completed commissions on my facebook page, or would that just show off how sporadically I get commissions outside of cons?
>>
>>9857000
Call it a commission portfolio, then people will assume you're only putting in the best and it won't matter if updates are sporadic.
>>
>>9856878
Glad to hear it worked out and that she really was unaware as I had guessed :) hope you two have fun at future cons!
>>
>>9856968
i want a name anon pls
this makes my blood boil
>>
>>9856996
Like enamel pins? Or like button pins?
>>
>>9856968
Name and shame, anon.
>>
>>9856968
I accidentally knocked some juice on a neighbour's stuff once and was mortified over it. I'm trying to think of an excuse for her, but I can't come up with anything and there's no reason for her not to help out when she saw you guys scrambling to clean up. One 'sorry' isn't gonna cut it. Like >>9857330 >>9857207, I want to know who this is so I don't end up next to them.
>>
Anyone have any experience with Vograce fixing their own mistakes?
I've never had an issue but I've received a batch of charms; one of my designs is missing entirely and others are the completely wrong size.
I've messaged Coco but at this stage I'm not entirely sure how reliable they are fixing issues and I'd rather not go down the paypal dispute route
>>
Kek. AANI shaming the perler shitters.
>>
>>9857593
They will fix it for you. Often you can have them send the fixed product when you place your next order (if it isn't urgent. )
>>
>>9857724
Ah that's a relief. I was panicking because I was unsure how that would go

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.