[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: africanfood.jpg (209 KB, 900x600)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
1. Have you ever tried african food
2. How is it
>inb4 le empty plate
>>
>>10899230
Biltong.
It was good.
>>
>>10899230
Neither have they!
>>
>>10899230
I like to make North African foods sometimes. But rich people North African foods, not some rice ass shit. I make a fantastic Moroccan lamb stew with roasted potatoes.
>>
File: 1442880943957.gif (1.51 MB, 255x234)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB GIF
>>10899244
silence wh*toid
>>
>>10899230
those humanitarian MREs seem pretty tasty
>>
File: hat.webm (435 KB, 356x448)
435 KB
435 KB WEBM
There are lots of Nigerians at my catholic church. They made some kind of spinage and baked chicken thing it was pretty good but some of the wives got THICC so I would not eat it all the time
>>
I had some food from this restaurant, owned by a guy and his brother who were from Ghana.
The food was fucking fantastic. Simple, but they were great cooks.
Jollof rice with stewed chicken/beef, plantains and greens. Good shit.
>>
>>10899230
a couple guys i lived with in college were african, senegalese and nigerian, couple of my best friends. sometimes we'd share food, my nigerian friend would mostly share these meat pies i loved (perfect midnight snack)
the senegalese friend would share some stews his mother'd make when he'd come back from a weekend at home (usually chicken or i think lamb with all manner of veggies, i especially remember cabbage and carrots and yuca)
and i believe jollof rice

i remember he'd tell me some words in wolof, i still remember cabbage = shuppome and yuca = nyambi
love them boys
>>
>>10899345
Did they eat that pasty dough stuff?
>>
File: 238742639.png (194 KB, 338x270)
194 KB
194 KB PNG
I went to this Ethiopian restaurant while I was visiting New Orleans: https://www.cafeabyssinianola.com/

We were the only ones there since it was the middle of the week, and the owner himself was our waiter. He was extremely friendly and just talkative enough.

As far as the food goes, I really enjoyed the flavors. Unfortunately, I'm pretty autistic about food textures, and Ethiopian food (and African food in general) is known to be pretty mushy. If you like/don't mind soft or squishy foods then you'll like it. Pic related: it's what I ordered.
>>
>>10899230
Lived in Uganda for two years (Peace Corps). The food was simple but good. My favorites are smoked tilapia in groundnut sauce with matoke (mashed plantains) the the roast pork. Because they were free range pigs the pork was the juiciest/greasiest most flavorful pork I've ever had. Searved with just some salt and fresh birdseye hot peppers (once they just went to the pepper plant and yanked off a branch with 30-40 peppers on it and handed it to me). Decent beer and local 'beer' and moonshine. You could get hammered for 80 cents if you wanted to.
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 303x210)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>10899230
I was not a fan
>>
>>10899359
oh that like porridge-like thing? i think i only remember my nigerian friend mentioning it once or twice but i never got to eat it
>>
>>10899230
Somali stuff my coworkers wife makes

It's delicious
>>
>>10899230
Ethiopian food is the shit, injera bread is one of my favorite things I've ever eaten. Imagine a pancake made of soft, delicious sourdough. Lots of strongly flavored stewed meats, lentils, cabbage, it's all great. It's not even some kind of crazy foreign flavor profile, people just have to be brave enough to try it.
>>
>>10899556
And they're based Orthodox Christian.
>>
>>10899455
>classic image.jpg dum dum thinks haiti is in africa
>>
I did some work for a woman who used to run a hotel in Africa somewhere. She made me dinner as a thank you and it was amazing. Whole fried fish, veggies I couldn't identify, lots of odd spicy things, and some kind of ginger drink that burned my mouth.
>>
Ethiopian Yebeg Wat (lamb stew) is my favorite food right now. I was pretty trim before, until I discovered it. I could not stop eating it. Now I'm somewhat chunky. I have to stop. Someone help.
>>
>>10899556
agree. I have been lucky enough to find a place near me that sells fresh injera bread and hoooo man is it good
>>
>>10899439
I went to one in DC once that was very similar. It reminded me a lot of Indian food (at least the types I've had at their weddings). Mushy, but heavily spiced. I really didn't care for it.
>>10899230
I certainly like their decedent foods like Caribbean and Creole.
>>
>>10899240
Not African
>>
>>10899230
Yes
I kept getting the goat with rice from some place down the road and it was delicious
>>
Subsaharan African food is basically awesome camping food. Every summer, I enjoy my spicy barbecue chicken with fufu on my uncle's backyard.
>>
>>10899230
>African food
>>
>>10899570
>thinks haiti is in africa

there's literally no difference
>>
>>10899303
Jolloff is fantastic my man and red red stew as well
Goat stew with fufu was my shit for awhile there and was hella good for a budget
>>
>>10899230
ordered egusi soup from some african place. it was salted to almost unedible proportions. I think they're trying to kill whites.
>>
>>10899359
Mealie Slap Pap?
It's gruel that's supposed to be heavily seasoned (think they call it Brassie salts but it's close to what Americans know as curry powder) and is good if seasoned properly
>>
>>10899230
Moroccan food is delicious, but it's more a fusion of Mediterranean and middle eastern than "African"
>>
I looooove African food. Some of my favorites. Nigerian and Ethiopian are my two favorites, but Nigerian food is really hard to make in America as some of the ingredients are impossible to find.
>>
>>10899230
Moroccan curry goat is absolute godliness
>>
>>10900701
Not even 100% Dutch either.
>>
If African food was good niggers wouldn't starve.
>>
My sister married a liberian and at the wedding party they brought all sorts of stuff in.

I learned that the spicier it was the shittier the actual food was cooked.
>>
>>10899230
>1. Have you ever tried african food

One of my good friends in HS was Ethiopian. Kinda like Anjari once you get used to the sour taste.

The rest of the Ethiopian dishes, however, all look like slop curry mush and you have to literally eat it with your hands, which is a fucking disgusting mess.

It's edible, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find the food.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.