[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: shenyangmonterey.jpg (98 KB, 600x400)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
Help me /ck/

I've been in northern China teaching kids how to speak English for the past four months. This is the first time I've lived on my own and I'm having a rough time with eating well. Most days I'll just have eggs on bread (which is all sweet in China) with some fruit for breakfast, with the rest of my meals being almost entirely carbs and meat that I get from eating out (fried rice, noodles in broth, lamb skewers etc.) I can feel my body becoming less and less happy with the situation, and I've gained a good ten pounds. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to cooking, but I have access to fresh ingredients and a few hours after work where I could easily cook up something if I knew what I was doing. Problem is, I'm completely clueless when it comes to cooking. I need ideas for simple, healthy dishes that I can cook at home that will fill me up without turning me into a fat fuck.

tl/dr I'm in China, I can get ingredients, I have no idea how to cook. Teach me some basic dishes.
>>
>>11032533
you can clearly use the internet and understand english, so why not google some recipes?
>>
>>11032533
we need a sticky, pronto
>>
Where are your vegetables, anon?

Asians stay slim because the bulk of their diet comes from the veg and fish. Noodles and rice are absolute staples, but they're not the main attraction of the dish.

Eat some spinach.
>>
>>11032533
>>11032589
No matter what you cook any produce or whatever is going to have 4000x the heavy metals you'd be normally consuming as a non-dystopia-dwelling-bug-person. Hope you like lead.
>>
>>11032550
Because I honestly don't even know where to start. Browsing a catalog of recipes is one thing, getting advice from people that may have been in a similar situation to me (new to cooking) is something completely different.

>>11032589
Broccoli, bok choy, and potatoes (hardly a vegetable) are the big three I've been eating.
>>
>>11032533

Hello Agent 182311Ad4

Have you installed the listening devices as instructed yet? We are not receiving any transmissions. Please update, I got Langley breathing down my neck.
>>
>>11032533
Hire an ayi that can cook, doofus.
>>
>>11032601
>people on 4chan
>going out to places and learning to cook
Like im pretty sure 90% of us cant cook and only meme. In one of those people.
>>
>>11032797
>can’t cook and only meme.
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>11032797
>90% of us cant cook and only meme
WTF I HATE /CK/ NOW
>>
Best way to stay thin is to avoid carbs.
Just obtain source of fat, mix that in with vegetables and you're good to go.
>>
>>11032809

>>11032811
If you look at the catalog 90% of the threads are about memes and fast food
>>
>>11032797
Yeah, that's what /ck/ has turned into lately.
>>
>>11032533
Maybe you could start by telling us about your kitchen. Gas or electric stove? Good amount of counter/cupboard space? Capacious fridge/freezer? What sort of appliances - rice cooker, blender, oven, etc. What sort of tools have you got - knife, cutting board, mortar & pestle, pots and pans etc.

Apart from that, I figure the easiest thing would be to approximate the food you're already eating (since the ingredients/spices will be cheap and easy to get) but bulk them out with more vegetables.
>>
>>11032864
Gas stove, two burners. No oven.

Minimal counter space, decent cupboard space.

Fridge is pretty small (three shelves) but the freezer is about the same size so frozen stuff isn't out of the question.

One ceramic knife, cutting board, chop sticks, spatula, and a wooden soup spoon.

I've got a good pot and frying pan, a kettle for tea (and to make tap water drinkable) along with a small blender. Can easily get a rice cooker, mortar and pestle, wok etc. as money isn't really a problem, more so figuring out if I'll actually use them.
>>
>>11032897
fuck me i am so glad i got out of chinar. t. former english "teacher". you sad, sad dancing white monkey.
>>
>>11032897
Nigga you need a Croc-Pot like yesterday.
>>
>>11032903
Meh, money is good, job is easy, lots of free time and everything is cheap as shit. I'm not sticking around after my year long contract but life is good.
>>
Make rice in a rice cooker. Mince garlic, saute in oil, add chicken pieces, add veggies last, season with garlic powder, powdered ginger and soy sauce. You can do this with any meat or veg. Serve with rice. Chicken, red bell pepper and watercress are good. Beef and brocolli.
>>
>>11032908
really though get a white monkey job, serpentza said they are pretty good and that's virtually all I know about china
>>
>>11032923
english teacher is 100% a white monkey job
>>
>>11032925
but it apparently isn't as good as being a literal model, he apparently just showed up for a couple photos and they paid them some good money to put his face on a billboard
>>
>>11032922
This is what I'm talking about, thank you anon
>>
>>11032923
>>11032925
>>11032929
Chinaman loves having a token white man in their company. You don't even need to do anything. Just be there.
Having to live in China is the only bad part.
>>
>>11032923
I like how he's absolutely honest about the things he experiences in China, good and bad. Too bad that he got himself a Chinese wife though...hope it works out.
>>
>>11032943
Of you're not good at stir frying or like your veggies less crisp, you can plunge them into boiling water for a couple minutes and drain before you stir fry them. Also try making a steak and a baked potato. It's a good meal for first time cooks. If you undercook the steak, just throw it back in the pan. And here is an easy perfect recipe for spaghetti sauce: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015987-classic-marinara-sauce
>>
>>11032533
>I'm pretty clueless
Yes, you are, and you deserve to remain so, you cancerous douche.
>>
File: 1509712043853.png (1.45 MB, 967x601)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB PNG
>in china
>has access to 4chan
Something seems fishy here.
>>
>>11033033
most chinese people use proxies to get on the real internet
>>
>>11033033
Its not banned in china because it doesnt interfere with propaganda or the development of their own national platforms like qq/weibo etc unlike facebook and reddit
>>
>four months in third world country
>no gf cooking and cleaning for you yet

pathetic. also you can eat out every night very cheaply anyway.
>>
>>11033060
I know everybody in South Korea uses VPNs, but I'd have figured the chinese would've that on lockdown, as well as proxies.

>>11033065
So despite free speech and boards like /b/, /pol/, /int/ and to a lesser extent /his/, they arn't blocking 4chan? Sounds like the censors aren't doing their job properly.
>>
>>11033112

you can buy a 4chan and post from china.
>>
>>11032533
>I'm raping Asian children
>Pls help me
Fuck off pedo!
>>
>>11033159
What does he mean by that?
>>
>>11033309
The alt-right is accusing everyone of being pedo now. It's there new meme tactic.
>>
>>11033319
>there
>meme tactic
What a retard!
>>
>>11033319
Everyone accuses everyone of being whatever. I hate this timeline.
>>
>>11033112
PRC doesn't give a shit. None of it is in Chinese and there is no great truth that any of those boards can reveal besides wanton shitposting.

>>11032533
Why not take the chance to learn how Chinese cook? Unless you're in Beijing/Shanghai/Hong Kong its difficult as fuck to find western ingredients. What I used to do is order street food and watch their techniques in how they prepare the food. Helped in picking up how to cook with a wok properly
>>
>>11033112
We don't talk very much about China though because since they block google nobody in China can post without buying a pass to bypass capcha
>>
>>11033345
More like wonton shitposting, amirite
>>
File: 1528573804720.jpg (68 KB, 640x640)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>11032533
>Posting to 4chan
>From China
Yeah okay faggot.
>>
>>11033340
>everyone of being whatever. I hate this timeline.
You faggots made it, now eat it, bitch.
>>
>>11033033
4chan is not banned in China, it's google that is banned. 4chan requires google captcha which is banned. so you need a 4chan pass to post from china or a proxy to fill in the captcha.
>>
>>11033328
>make a grammar mistake
>haha, you blew it, I won!
>>
>>11033081
This so much. How ugly are you?
>>
>>11032533
learn a simple stir fry, use any kind of meat/vegetables.

Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCVTOa01uN8
>>
>>11033033
>>11033112
>>11033376
I have a proxy (we were warned about not getting access to the internet before we came, literally every expat here has a proxy for their social media) and a 4chan pass (because captcha literally just doesn't load)
>>
>>11033081
>>11034786
Chinese girls are cute but it's entirely a trap. They want three things: All your money, all your time, and a long term relationship, three things that don't fit well with a job I took to make money, have free time, and get out fast.
>>
>>11036068

>teaching english in china
>make money
>>
>>11036099
>make three grand a month
>rent is $300, can get a full meal for $3
>can cab across the city for less than $10

I'm investing two grand every month I'm here. It's not getting me rich, but it's enough to pay my way through Uni.
>>
>>11036113
>three grand a month

I don't believe you.
>>
File: July payslip.png (22 KB, 1782x191)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
>>11036206
You don't need to, as long as the bank does
>>
>>11032533
How hard was getting that job? I'm going for my ESL right now
>>
>>11036206
3 grand a month isn't shit lol
>>
File: DJrmQ8yV4AA9JjX.jpg (30 KB, 612x387)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>11032601
Look up things you'd like to cook. Try to use recipes that only call for whole foods. Most of learning to cook is trial, error, and trying lots of different recipe. Also don't be picky, eat everything
>>
>>11032533
When I was stuck in a tiny island in japan, I learned to depend on the rice cooker. Easy as fuck to wash rice, set it for fast cook, and have the carb base that went with whatever I want3d to pair with it, usually simple stuff from the grocery store.
>>
>>11032589
>the bulk of their diet comes from the veg and fish. Noodles and rice are absolute staples, but they're not the main attraction of the dish.
You know how I know you’ve never lived in Asia?
>>
>>11032533
Either ask other expats what they cook or ask a local to teach you to cook. We don't know what produce/meat you have access to there, and we'd probably not know what to do with them even if you were able to tell us what they are since they'd be very different from what is available in the west.
>>
>>11036206
>>11036113
That’s what I used to get paid in Japan to teach English back in 2011. Heard they lowered the pay right after I left kek.
The locals all knew how much the government paid us, and I’m sure didn’t like it.
>>
>>11036458
Relatively easy if you have ESL and a bachelor's degree (bonus points if it's in something English related). There are too many asians and not enough english people willing to move over here. Find yourself a reputable company and make sure you know the details of the contract up front.

>>11036461
>>11036484
This. Three grand a month isn't that much at all, but since I'm completely new and cost of living is so low it evens out. Compared to what the locals around you are making you'll be living like a king.

>>11036482
This is a good idea, I'm going to look into the local expat scene to see if there are any willing to teach me and possibly even just do like >>11033345 said and watch how they prepare the food that I order when eating out.
>>
>>11032533
>>11036482
That said, you could look at "authentic Chinese recipe" cookbooks published in English like Fuchsia Dunlop's "Land of Fish and Rice," although that book is about Shanghai/Jiangnan cuisine. As to whether you easily can get all the ingredients commonly used in Shanghai cooking in northern China, I cannot say.
>>
>>11032553
This.
>general shit on basics like properly cooking eggs, rice, etc.
>rules of thumb like how to make a dish heavier/lighter by balancing fats and acids
>recommendations on getting the best prices for ingredients
>electric range vs gas, different implements and the basic approaches to cooking with different types of cookware
>dishes and preset meals that are guaranteed to impress
>recommended cookbooks and online resources for regional/ethnic foods
A sticky and a couple generals (questions that don't deserve their own thread and fast food generals, especially) could do wonders.
>>
is there any lower form of life than the fat nerd english teacher in asia?
>>
>>11036428
Just keep doing your thing anon.
>>
>>11032949
I hve a degree in ee. Any tips on easy jobs in China
>>
>>11032533
work out if you are afraid of becoming a fat fuck
>>
>eating breakfast
fucking stop
>>
>>11039777
Gigolo, if you're in reasonable shape and not flat out ugly. When I was stationed in Korea I was approached by a gigolo pimp organization while standing at a bus stop and since I was an officer, they gave me the use of a house and I ended up making 5-6 thousand/month with just having to be on call to fuck horny middle aged housewives. They had a book of pics which among a number of others I was in and would provide them to the housewives after they got worked up from live shows and they'd choose who they wanted. Tips were extraordinary occasionally. Not a bad deal really.
>>
>>11039941
Tell me more. Especially the legality
>>
>>11032533
Look up some Chinese-American food recipes?
>>
>>11032533
>eating eggs in china
are you insane? just look up fake eggs china

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.