[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: kl-step-2a.jpg (16 KB, 415x383)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
Why kill the lobster before it hits the boiling water?
It would die pretty soon anyway and I don't think it can feel pain the way humans do.
Just for show, doing the right thing, I guess?
>>
>>8583976
It takes a second. Why not just kill it, in case it does feel pain?
>>
>>8583982
Truth be told I've had a hatred of lobsters since I was a kid, I learned how cruel and evil they can be at a young age
>>
If your going to steam it whole, just chuck it in the pot, but if you're going to break it down while raw, might as well kill it first do it doesn't fight you back.
>>
>>8583984
Tell me about this tramatic experience anon.
>>
>>8583982
Because I'm not a faggot pussy ladyboi.
>>
>>8584003
They snapped my pee pee anon T_T
>>
File: qWa0Cga.png (34 KB, 666x666)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
>>8584015

Haha, benis
>>
>>8584013
You must be a very sad person to posture on the internet like this.
>>
>>8584003
I saw a lobster in one of those tanks I felt a sort of kinship to the creature and I engaged it in a mental conversation, at first things seemed calm as i gazed into it's eyes and it seemed to relay calm messages to me but quickly it seemed to be disturbed, it became very violent and harassful in tone and vibrations and I saw how evil this despicable kind of animal was, I ran away from that tank and I told my mother we had to find somewhere else to eat, luckily for me we ended up at a Wendy's where I enjoyed my Kid's Meal that had Felix The Cat toys back then

This all happened one night after Karate class at Naama Karate
>>
>>8583976

The tail curls up if you boil them alive.
>>
>>8584040
maybe it was disturbed because it knew it was on death row
>>
>>8584047

It curls up if you boil them dead too.

You can easily address this by straightening out the tail and sticking a skewer or chopstick down the "vein" before cooking them. That keeps the tail straight. You can then pull the skewer out for serving.
>>
>>8584040
This post touched my heart.
>>
File: 1477352671710.jpg (19 KB, 259x240)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>8584040
>>
File: 1487100007358.gif (1.86 MB, 300x164)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB GIF
>>8584040
>>
>>8584040
have you ever tried talking to plants?
>>
watching gordon ramsay take apart a lobster is the most terrifying thing I've ever seen
>>
David Foster Wallace has a very delightful essay about the ethics of boiling a lobster alive. Don't let /lit/ hear you talk about it though, unless you like shitposts.
>>
>>8584157

You are surely jesting ... ad infinitum
>>
>>8584176
Man I wish the PGOAT's face wasn't melted, but I think it was.
>>
>>8584186
>>
>>8584040
I know your memeing but I used to do this same thing with lobsters and fish whenever my mom took me to fish stores as a kid
>>
File: 1399572009193.jpg (91 KB, 554x439)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
Killing them is a lot of effort and mess when you can just hypnotize them.
>>
>>8584176
Using DFWs work for virtue-signalling that you're clever makes him roll in his grave please cease your trash memery
>>
File: idunno.jpg (175 KB, 442x550)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
>>8583976
It's mostly a just in case thing since we won't ever know for sure whether or not the things can feel pain like we can. Not worth the chance of causing needless cruelty if it's easily avoided.

I'm not going to get into a week-long ""debate"" about whether or not stupid animals can feel pain, but personally I feel like it's an extremely primitive and simple sensation. Even if they don't have the same mental trauma afterwards that people and other mammals do, the initial pain could very well still be there, so why risk it?

>>8584013
>I'm so hardcore I intentionally torture animals
We're all very impressed.
>>
>>8584329
He was cremated
>>
>>8583976
>I don't think it can feel pain the way humans do.
Just because you decide to make something up doesn't mean it's a fact
>>
>>8583976
Like most critters they taste better if their end is sudden and unexpected. Less stress hormones and such...
>>
>>8584329
I don't think you know what that term means.
>>
File: Waterbug.jpg (15 KB, 220x240)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>8584040
The first half of that post sounded like the birth of a lobster-themed villain.
>>
>>8583976
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruyNDrCBk4
>>
>>8584013
Issues: the post
>>
>>8584243
>>8584040
I had the same thing but with one of the guards in the red jackets and the huge black hats at the Buckingham Palace
>>
>>8584013
Yes because real men and icons of masculinity like Clint Eastwood make animals suffer. You have no idea what masculinity is.

What a sad warped view you have, this website has rotted your brain.
>>
>>8585016
severely underrated
>>
>>8583982
Because I'm Asian
>>
>>8584040
The fuck are you on, anon
>>
I prefer the taste of food that died in anguish
>>
Here in Australia if you boil crabs live they can tear their own claws out which lets after into the shell and ruins the taste a lil.

Just turn them upside down and stick a knife under their genderflap
>>
>>8583982
becuase he doesnt even cook
>>
>>8585082
came here looking for a comment like this
I agree with you
>>
>>8585786
>came here looking for a comment like this

Oh lord. Have you not noticed that the one overriding thought on 4chin is a lack of empathy for anything living?
>>
>>8585833
Nigga if you even visit /b/ you'll realize that people have a soft spot for animals
>>
>>8583976
Because we aren't chinese.
>>
File: VsCoWxa.jpg (96 KB, 594x892)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>8583982
Lobsters are evil. They deserve their fate.
>>
>>8586150
Thats because /b is full of faggot underage b&s and reditors

I routinely torture/sexually abuse animals and I dont post that shit on b cos noone appreciates it anymore

Gotta use le old deepweb to find those with similar interests
>>
>>8586370

I hope someday we kill you and all your chink countrymen.
>>
>>8586384
Faggot you aint gonna do shit little pussy
>>
File: Love Shack.jpg (178 KB, 960x641)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
Dumb question, /ck/, but bear with me.

I live somewhere that doesn't have wild lobster, so whatever live lobster are available are probably days or weeks old. Is there a diet I can feed the lobster to give it a better flavor and make it less tough to eat? I can find an aquarium pretty easy.
>>
>>8584389
This. Lobsters experience and react to stress like other organisms. Animals that had high levels of stress before dying taste worse than others that had low stress.

Why potentially ruin a good meal because you weren't assed enough to just put a quick knife in its face?
>>
>>8586663
If it's alive then that means it's "fresh," also most lobsters are wild caught I think, so they come with all the impurities from the ocean anyways

But I've heard of people catching river fish, keeping them in their bathtubs for a few weeks while feeding them hot dogs and the fish coming out a lot better so ??? idk
>>
lobster on its own is so overrated. it's just a platform for butter or something like bernaise. not complaining. also lobster bisque is great.
>>
>>8583976
lobsters dont feel pain
>>
>>8586688
I got the idea from watching Ramsey catching snails in his backyard, then feeding them carrots so they had all the crap out of their systems. Dunno if I'd use hot dogs but as long as somene's tried it...
>>
I always kill my food as quickly and painlessly as possible.

I take no pleasure in causing pain, suffering and terror. Killing is purely mechanical for me and devoid of all emotion. I am dead inside when I kill. I feel no emotion or remorse. I choose not to inflict suffering. I am not a animal lover.

It's a respect and ethical thing to me.

All animals that I've killed could feel pain. I can see it in their eyes and their movements. I can feel it as the life leaves their body. Why prolong the suffering?

I have spent my life in the Bush and on a farm. Animals are much more intelligent than most people would believe.

There is a higher mental plane. Our senses become dull in the modern civilized world. You do not truly know yourself the laws of nature or what you are until you spend a couple of months alone in the wilderness.

You can communicate with animals when you are in this heightened state.

It is not like having a spoken conversation. More like projecting feelings and emotions. It's a very primitive thing.
>>
>>8585772
Probably because you are either autistic, Asian, or both. A swift suicide will fix your problems
>>
>>8584040
I liked this post.
>>
>>8583976
Funny enough it is more humane to kill by boiling. Some people do that knife between the eyes thing but a lobster has 5 neural clusters throughout the body rather than a single brain...so it actually prolongs suffering. Chill in fridge, then boil. Most humane because lobsters are poikilothermic so the cold slows metabolism then the heat kills before they can really perceive anything for long
>>
>>8583976
Fuck you, I toss them in live while watching re-runs of Trump winning the presidency. heil Hitler
>>
All these "consider the lobster" folks never seem too upset about eating oysters alive.
>>
>the lobster screams in the boiling water
>>
>>8586418
You're right because you're shitposting and lying
>>
>>8584385
how do you know?
>>
>>8586753
Emotional women on suicide watch.
>>
>>8583982
Lobsters dont fell pain. Additionally the sound of them boiling isnt a scream but gas escaping. The most humane death is to just throw it into the pot
>>
>>8586800
Oysters don't have anything remotely resembling brains.
>>
Humans dont fell pain. Additionally the sound of them incinerating is a scream but purely reflexive. The most humane death is to just throw it into the lava flow.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPRU0-kmTQ0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd7rMKfCL2I

die slowly nigger
>>
>>8586906
you're actually retarded, animals with simple nervous systems, like lobsters, snails and worms, do not have the ability to process emotional information and therefore do not experience suffering
>>
File: original.jpg (68 KB, 640x426)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
never had any lobster, but something similiar, just making sure those river crawfishes are alive before throwing them into boiling water that has salt and dill in it
>>
>>8586929
Scientific research would probably disagree with your assertion that lobsters only have simple nervous systems and don't feel pain. You're correct about insects, though.
>>
Apparently the method that causes less trauma is freezing briefly, rather than boiling fresh. This is how I tend to do it, I just assumed it was similar to when shooting game, if you wound an animal, rather than killing it outright and it runs in a state of panic, causing increased lactic acids and adrenaline in the tissue, it taints the meat. I certainly do not care about the well-being of a crustacean I am about to it, but if it purportedly causes the meat to retain better qualities, I'll do it.
>>
>>8586949
https://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/invert.html
http://www.lobsters.org/tlcbio/biology6.html
>>
>>8586967
Then stab the damn thing and save yourself the 3 hours freezing it
>>
>>8585750
>they can tear their own claws

What??
>>
>>8586901

>Lobsters dont fell pain

bullshit
>>
>>8587046
>>8586972
they know their getting a knife through them or theyre in boiling water, but its not pain.
>>
>>8586901
>Lobsters dont fell pain.
Those are wasps.
>>
>>8587051

those links don't support your statement.
>>
Hot water softens the rubber.
Absolutely pissed, steaming lobster crawls out of the pot.
>>
>>8584013
Kys
>>
>>8587157
I mean, you can't prove Lobsters don't feel pain any more than anybody can prove they do....so if you are an empathic person in general it would seem not a stretch of the imagination that somebody would just rather take the safe route and NOT have a 50 50 chance of committing torture and animal cruelty on their conscience
>>
>>8587137
yes they do, link one explains the operation of a lobsters nervous system. Link two explains they feel a sensation as well as stress but do not feel pain

>>8587142
ive noticed a tendency lately of people to not actually read the links
>>
>Take lobsters.
>Place them in water in pressure cooker.
>Spice water and turn it on.
>Listen to them cling around in the pot, it's starting to smell good..
>>
>>8586663
>Is there a diet I can feed the lobster to give it a better flavor and make it less tough
No, but you can stop overcooking it like a midwestern housewife.
>>
>>8587166

No they don't, neither of them make a conclusive statement about how they perceive damage to their bodies you mong. In fact they specifically say it's unclear.
>>
>>8587177
maybe it's just because I grew up fishing a lot, I don't see fish or crustaceans as things that can feel pain. I'm sure they can, but it just seems like a stupid thing to worry about
>>
File: images.png (4 KB, 205x246)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
>>8583982
I wish someone would kill me in case I feel pain
>>
>>8586728
I felt that state when our family dog leaned on me while I was petting it. She was on her olden days and a tumor had grown inside her neck, seemingly forcing her to eat very little. In only six months she went from healthy size to a skele-dog.

That moment was seizing. It's like she knew it was coming ineventually. We both knew she wouldn't live for long. It was a moment of acceptance. A week later dad took her to the vet, and.. you know. End of story.
>>
>>8587209
Did you give her the D?
>>
>>8587209
you know you can remove tumors..
>>
>>8587209
>Dog has tumor
>kill her
>dog breaks its leg
>kill her
>dog has a cough
>kill her
>dog is healthy
>...
>kill her anyway
>>
>>8587220
Hello ATF agent.
>>
File: 1472498891158.jpg (3 KB, 118x125)
3 KB
3 KB JPG
>>8584013
oh, boy. Something tells me you might be
>>
Lobsters feel no pain
Buttered fate they will suffer
Their pain is tasty
>>
>>8587493

What the fuck did you
just say about me, little bitch?
I'll have you know that...
>>
>>8583976
So they don't scream, or run away, and ruin my chance at getting some pussy.
>>
>>8584329
Says the chump misusing large words that vaguely sound like what you mean to say. You should go look up what virtue-signaling* is again.
>>
Who cares... It's a lobster. A underwater insect
>>
>>8586997
Stabbing stresses them out more because they dont have brains like we do and it doesnt work the same way. You aren't hitting an instant killswitch
>>
Virtue signalling.
>>
>>8587220
I know what you're saying, and I'm not that dude, but if it was a tumor inside of her neck it was probably literally killing her. If she was barely eating it was probably closing her throat up and it would be painful to eat. This would not only obviously begin to starve the dog but also put it through a lot of mental stress. Secondly, if you know anything about how tumors and cancers work, especially in dogs, just removing them doesn't always work. Often times there can be complications within the surgery or it could cause the cancer to spread. Also, If it was in a very pesky spot, removing it safely sometimes just is NOT possible.
I agree people who put down dogs for a broken leg or shit like that is stupid. My brother was really dumb when we were younger and our new puppy broke a leg. We nursed her back to regular health and she lived a long happy life afterwards. My point here is you shouldnt be fucking guilting this dude for putting his dog down who was clearly on the way out and no longer eating. He clearly felt strong love for his friend and you have no right to try and shame this dude. Fuck you bro, youre as bad as the people youre mocking right now.
>>
>>8586800
What a generalization that is.
>>
Why would you even take the chance? Just kill them beforehand so they don't squirm and shit.
>>
>>8587594
That is scientifically incorrect and you op, are ignorant as fuck.
>>
>>8587594
>Source: my ass

Fucking lobsters should be banned.
>>
>>8587691
>op
What do you think this means?
>>
>>8587594

if you stab the brain you aren't hitting an instant killswitch either you floater
>>
>>8584040
Sounds like you encountered a real mean sea snipper.
>>
All you gotta do is tickle the lobster's back which makes him chill the fuck out then you put him in the boiling water upside down
>>
>>8587742
That's a cute euphemism for masturbation
>>
>>8587730
>if you stab the brain you aren't hitting an instant killswitch either you floater

so... basically you're just maiming it before you fucking boil it.

great advice, Peta.
>>
>>8587781

no, you're supposed to stab a precise part of the nervous system, same principle as with the brain you dingus
>>
>>8587516
Do you understand?
A haiku's second line has
Seven syllables
>>
File: 1483629360101.jpg (48 KB, 720x717)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>8587235
>he bootlicks government agencies that break the law
>>
>>8583976
>thinking that pain is exclusive to humans
>>
>>8587878
>it's muh constitutional rights to incest pederast polygamy, don't tread on me!!!!!!one
ATF should put you and your family out of your misery, cleetus
>>
>>8588158
Lobsters don't have the neurological sophistication to feel pain.
>>
>>8586681
>This. Lobsters experience and react to stress like other organisms. Animals that had high levels of stress before dying taste worse than others that had low stress.

That's nonsense. It's true for some animals, like deer you want to kill and bleed out asap, to limit and remove adrenaline. Dogs are the opposite, and should be tortured for at least 15 minutes to sweeten the meat. That's why you skin them alive, throw them together in bag to beat, and toss them (still flailing) in deep cauldron with hot oil.
>>
File: bpEwgeZ.jpg (120 KB, 528x292)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>8588211
holy fucking shit m8
>>
>>8587604
came here to post this, in the year of our lord 2017 whether or not a prehistoric insect feels pain for .5 seconds or .75 seconds should be of consequence to fucking no one. It's like people are running out of things to judge each other for now that it's no longer cool to be racist or nationalistic. So they settle into these banal little aspects of life that mean nothing.
>oh he doesn't tip
>he didn't attend the protest he must be hitler
>he doesn't spike his lobster in the head before throwing it in boiling water, put him in a camp
Further evidence we need another world war.
>>
>>8588237
You're only so horrified because it's a dog right? I hate people like you.
>>
>>8588187
Those straw men should be dipped in butter and shoved down your mealy-mouthed face you loxist twat.
>>
>>8587186
So we agree then. There is no reason to knife a lobster in the head before boiling it
>>
File: 1479436707949.png (272 KB, 786x527)
272 KB
272 KB PNG
>>8587878
THIS
we need to privatize the ATF
>>
>>8588211
t.chink
>>
>>8588574
Wrong. Asia has never had regulatory agencies setting limits on hunting. Those fuckers kill and eat everything they can anytime they can. There hasn't been a deer spotted in asia except in a zoo since the 1500's.
>>
>>8583976
>Why kill the lobster before it hits the boiling water?
Not everyone kills it, sometimes they just pop the knife in the lobster's back and toss it in.
>>
>>8588266
you probably think you're so edgy and cool, you're just a retard with issues.
>>
>>8588240
>people calling assholes like you out for not tipping means we need another world war
wow
>>
>>8584799
I genuinely appreciate and am fascinated by the craftsmanship of this, but I can't help but feel like keeping the lobster alive for the process is somewhat senseless.
>>
>>8584057
If you get served one with the tail straight you don't know that it was cooked fresh.

Curled tail = good lobster.
>>
>>8587516
It would be lovely
if only it would parse well...
I laughed anyway.
>>
>>8584040
Feels bad anon. Back when my dad was working, he had company dinners (Christmas and other special occasions) and one of the options was lobster. I never tried it, but I remember another kid having an allergic reaction when I was eight or so. I'm not allergic to them, but I've never been able to eat them since.
>>
File: 1487095671611.jpg (35 KB, 358x292)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>8584000
sppoderman troll this
>>
>>8584040
I do this when I pass them by at my job. I want to free them and eat them too, so I leave them alone.
>>
>>8587800
if you ever forget
the haiku trick is easy
it's five, seven, five
>>
Fuck it anons, I'm going to go buy two lobsters tomorrow, one will be cut in the head, other will be boiled fully alive (no chilling or freezing) and I wanna see if you actually taste a difference, only seasoning will be light salt and pepper maybe cajun
>>
A lobster dies within seconds of hitting the water.

There is zero sense in killing them first.
>>
File: 1484783275374.jpg (235 KB, 1024x1024)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
>>8589451
this is scientifically unsound.

the two lobsters could very well inherently taste different and you would incorrectly attribute the difference to the method of execution.

the only way to do this is to clone the lobster (thereby killing the "same" lobster twice), or by killing it then using a time machine to go back to when the lobster is still alive and then killing it in a different fashion.
>>
>Considering lobsters to be animals with feelings
Crustaceans are basically the roaches of the ocean
Who gives a shit?
>>
>>8588195
And you do not have the neurological sophistication to think, and yet here you are. Posting retarded shit.
>>
The knife in the head of the lobster is just a method used by TV chefs to calm down hysterical animal rights activists. Lobsters have a totally different nervous system then mammals.
>>
>>8590402
>Have a friend, he's kind of a gourmand, making lobster
>He gets out the big knife
"What are you doing? Just chuck them in the pot."
>Get lectured about humanely killing sea-roaches, with a side order of guilt-tripping me over my eagerness to boil another living creature alive.
>The face-slicing commences. Friend seems a little green.
"Their legs are still twitching a bit."
>"That's just residual motor impulses."
"..."
>Dinner was still delicious.
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 720x960)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>8586663
Any live lobster you buy is more than a few days or weeks old
>>
>>8586728
Take your schizophrenia meds
>>
>>8583976
I prefer cleats
>>
>>8588187
Pls daddy i need to be dominated in every aspect of my life ;)
>>
>>8588266
I think he's horrified because you're torturing animals, you fucking weirdo.
>>
>>8590111
Or use a larger sample size. Lrn2logistics
>>
>>8584013
Imagine having such a fragile ego that this posts triggers these so called "men". Pathetic
>>
Why worry? It's not me that's going to feel any pain. I'm just going to salivate while it cooks. Prop a chopping board over a big boiling pot and have the fucker walk the plank at the tip of my trusty sabatier.
>>
>>8584040
Lobsters are evil creatures. You did the right thing.
>>
File: 1484608883160.gif (443 KB, 506x516)
443 KB
443 KB GIF
>>8584040
>>
>>8583982
I view it as a choice between having to clean a knife and not having to clean a knife.
>>
>>8584040
Aww that is so cute
>>
>>8584040
[spoiler]I'd knew I'd find you again some day kid[/spoiler]
[spoiler]It's me, the lobster.[/spoiler]
>>
>>8588769
The waitstaff should fuck this board. They pretty much have nothing to do with food or cooking
>>
>>8584040
Thank you for sharing this
>>
>>8583984
fuck you lobsters are great, crabs are the assholes
>>
>>8584013

How insecure are you lol

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.