[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking



Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.



File: 20170326_164946.jpg (892 KB, 2560x1536)
892 KB
892 KB JPG
This is a continuation of the Vegan Food thread.
>>8798636

Post your favorite vegan recipes and products here.

>>8810709
Have you not tried Follow Your Heart vegan mozzarella broiled on top of pizza or lasagna yet? My meat eating mother couldn't tell the difference between it and cow cheese when she tasted it.

Also cashew cheese.

There are some gourmet vegan cheeses that are tasty as fuck. Treeline and some others I forget the names of. Cashew cheese you really need to try.

And some other meat eating friends of mine said they actually like Daiya on top of their pizza more than cow cheese, because it's so creamy. I disagree though, I prefer Follow Your Heart. So I guess it's one of those things, you have to find the right vegan cheese for you. Some are just objectively good though.

But yeah, there are some foul ones out there for sure. I don't know how the people who created them could actually think it was a good idea to put them on the market. I think the only reason they sell are because of a lot of first time customers. Don't let that discourage you from trying others though. Some are incredible. If you can get ahold of some Vromage vegan cheese, you'll see what I mean.

These are some mac 'n' cheeze bites from the Word of Mouth food truck, with ranch sauce. So incredible.

Follow Your Heart parmesan is orgasmic too.
>>
>>8810847
It can't be mozzarella if it's some nut pate. Call it what it is, otherwise it makes you a liar.
>>
>>8810867
They call it that to make it easier for meat eaters transitioning to veganism to find products that can be used for the same purpose as animal products in their old recipes.

Calm down.
>>
I want to into cashew cheese, but I don't have a powerful enough blender/food processor to puree nuts all the way. What's a good blender/food processor that doesn't cost a hell of a lot?
>>
>>8810882
No idea. I'd imagine any blender would be okay after you soak the nuts, but I could totally be wrong since I've never tried it before myself. Would also love to make cashew cheese. Actually, I have some cashews in my pantry that are about to go bad so I might just do that. Either that, or make a raw cheezecake with them. Both are tempting, but I guess I'm leaning more towards making cashew cheese, since cheap vegan desserts are so easy to get. But a nice cashew cheese can be pricey.
>>
>>8810847
is that parm? most parm isnt vegan
>>
>another vomit thread
>>
>>8810954
I was actually wondering what that was after I looked at the photo. I don't remember tasting it when I ate it. But I got this from the Vegan Food Festival, and it was against the rules to sell anything that wasn't vegan, so it would have had to be vegan parmesan. Plus it wouldn't make any sense to have vegan mac 'n' cheeze with vegan ranch, then top it with non-vegan parmesan.
>>
>>8810972
Sorry, I meant Vegan Street Fair. Oops.
>>
>>8810954
https://mooshoes.myshopify.com/blogs/journal/interview-with-las-word-of-mouth-vegan-food-truck

Vegan food truck, ran by vegans. Pretty sure it's vegan, whatever it is.
>>
>>8810847
Just saw this on Facebook.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtnfSGq0KqQ

Pretty neat. I'd eat it.
>>
>>8810873
Oh I'm calm I'm just letting you know that legally you can't call something cheese if it's not made from cultured cow enzymes. The FDA said that, not me, so when you say you had some meatballs or chicken or what the fuck ever, you are incorrect. It's not those things, at all. In any way shape or form.

Also
>Meat eaters
You mean omivores. No humans are solely meat eaters or if they were, they died.
>>
>>8811152
Um. They call them "chick'n" and "meatless meatballs." You're obviously not calm. We don't want them to be those things anyway. I think this is the most autistic argument I've ever been involved in. "Meat eater" doesn't mean someone necessarily only eats meat, you fucking genius. The term "carnivore" is more what you're thinking of, but even then, carnivores can also eat plants and still be considered carnivores.

Jesus Christ.
>>
>>8811152
You better throw me in jail then, FDA shill. I'm calling it vegan cheese because that's a lot more convenient than saying some made up shit.
>No humans are solely meat eaters or if they were, they died.
I know a guy who only eats meat, he's still kicking.
>>
File: 1479549124323.jpg (23 KB, 396x360)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>8810847
>>
>>8811208
You can always refrain from posting at any time.
>>
i think the transition to veganism or vegetarianism would be easier if it wasnt so insistent on substitution for known meat products

its easier to sell a product if you say "it's like tofu, but better!" than to say "it's like ham but worse!"
>>
>>8811252
I don't often use processed meat substitutes. I go to using tofu, tempeh, or seitan which offers a lot more variety in terms of actually cooking.
>>
>>8811168
Maybe not use the word meateater like my grandmother uses the word nigger then. I know what your trying to do, and your not even subtle about it.

>>8811252
No, you don't. He would get protein poisoning and die. Have you ever heard of rabbit starvation? Or what the Inuits do to get essential oils, vitamins, and fats?

>Meatless meatballs
Please stop insulting my intelligence, it's soybean. Your eating nothing but fucking soybeans.
>>
>being vegan
>being such a picky eater you assign a label to it
>acting like it's a good thing

It should be legal to kill these "people".
>>
>>8811334
>veganism is being a picky eater
you sir are retarded, please leave this thread in peace
>>
>>8811344
You choose not to eat the majority of food available to you for no reason other than to be stubborn.
You're a picky eater.
>>
File: Disgusted.gif (467 KB, 500x278)
467 KB
467 KB GIF
Wow I really hope the "meat eaters" in this thread are actually just one person, because otherwise I've never seen so many autists in one place. This is embarrassing. Sent into an autistic homicidal rage over what vegans call their food. I hope your moms find out you post on 4chan and ground you from the internet. This is making me want to go vegan just because I don't want to be associated with your kind.
>>
File: reverend.jpg (24 KB, 576x432)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>8812640
>This is making me want to go vegan
>>
>>8812698
To be honest the food looks really good so I'm actually going to start trying it. Doesn't look like you even have to make a sacrifice except when it comes to things like eating out I guess.
>>
>>8812706
>the food looks really good

You should definitely try it, because trying things is how we grow and learn. Just remember that it's MUCH easier to make plants look like meat than it is to make plants taste like meat.
>>
>>8812706
people seem to forget that vegans still like to eat good food, like anyone else, so almost all of their food is really good. some of the weird products catered to nonvegans to help them adjust into the vegan diet are notoriously bad though, mostly because having to eat a substitute isn't nearly as good psychologically as finding new things that taste good.
>>
>>8812698
Where is that pic from?
>>
>>8812814
The best episode of Superman: The Animated Series
>>
File: garlic-bread.jpg (109 KB, 1000x750)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>8810847
Made this toasted garlic bread, or rather, I made the butter that went on it.

> Mix oils: 2/3 cup melted refined coconut oil + 5/6 cup canola oil
> Mix milk: 3/4 cup plain/unsweetened soy milk + 1 tsp white miso paste + 1/2 tsp lactic acid (or 1 tsp lemon juice + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar) and let stand until thickened/coagulated
> Mix dry: 4 tsp soy lecithin + 1/2 tsp xanthan gum + 2 tsp nutritional yeast + 1/4 tsp salt (I add 1/8 tsp MSG, but it's optional)

Using immersion blender, blend the dry ingredients into the milk, then slowly pour in oils while continuing to blend. Blend until smooth and even.

Next, blend in several raw cloves of garlic (to taste) until smooth. Add a little extra pressed garlic and just stir it in. Allow to sit in the fridge until it solidifies.

Pic related: sliced some bread, spread generous amount of butter on and sprinkled with Italian seasoning, baked until it browned
>>
File: seitan_rib.jpg (807 KB, 3718x2092)
807 KB
807 KB JPG
Made some seitan ribz the other day, basically improvised.

It was made using a slurry of pressed extra-firm tofu, tomato paste, single-ingredient peanut butter, better than bouillon, chinese fermented bean/garlic paste and bean/chili paste, liquid smoke, cayenne pepper, powdered beet, and water, mixed into wheat gluten and nutritional yeast.

This was kneaded well, pressed into a dish, and baked (covered).

After, I added some shiitake mushroom broth and braised until it was a little softened.

Then I let it rest overnight, and finished the next day by basting with BBQ sauce, wrapping in foil, and baking.
>>
>>8812899
Man this made me want to kill myself senpai.
>>
File: potato_seitan.jpg (139 KB, 1024x576)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>8812899

This was some "porkchop" style seitan I made. It used potato chowder, mixed with miso paste, chicken/pork seasoning, and a little soy sauce, blended together.

Then was mixed into wheat gluten and nutritional yeast along with some smoked paprika and brown sugar.

I kneaded and folded it similarly to puff pastry, letting it rest whenever it became too tough. This made it fibrous.

Then I rolled tightly and wrapped in foil, let rest in fridge 30 minutes, and fried on all sides until deep golden brown.

After frying, I re-wrapped and steamed an hour, baked another half hour, and let rest in some shiitake broth overnight.

On the next day I cut it up, and it was good raw, but also quite good with individual slices fried.
>>
>>8812922

As for less alchemic recipes, here is just some regular sweet potato and black bean chili with cornbread and breaded/deep-fried tomatillo.
>>
File: dinner.jpg (266 KB, 1627x915)
266 KB
266 KB JPG
>>8812931

This was an easier dinner, seasoned and roasted-til-crisp asparagus, roasted cauliflower, and oiled bowtie pasta + green peas topped with sauteed mushrooms and onions.
>>
>>8812899
>It was made using a slurry of pressed extra-firm tofu, tomato paste, single-ingredient peanut butter, better than bouillon, chinese fermented bean/garlic paste and bean/chili paste, liquid smoke, cayenne pepper, powdered beet, and water, mixed into wheat gluten and nutritional yeast.

>be vegan
>eat nothing but processed cancer food
>die of cancer by 32
>"at lest my heart was healthy as fuck when I died"
>>
File: asparagus_cauliflower.jpg (433 KB, 1627x915)
433 KB
433 KB JPG
>>8812943

This one was just a big-ass cauliflower steak and more asparagus
>>
File: dogge.jpg (32 KB, 394x391)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
i really like vegan food and i really like meat
>>
File: roasted-cauliflower.jpg (264 KB, 1627x915)
264 KB
264 KB JPG
>>8812959

Breaded/fried cauliflower poppers tossed with kung-pao sauce and cilantro
>>
File: potstickers.jpg (168 KB, 1627x915)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
>>8812967

These were fun, we made some roasted/pureed yam, cashew cream, and green onion potstickers
>>
They don't know the multi generation effects of a vegan diet. Most vegans today consumed animal products during their early development. It should be banned for young children.
>>
File: polenta-lentils.jpg (207 KB, 1627x915)
207 KB
207 KB JPG
>>8812973

Another easy-mode meal, made some creamy polenta, topped with seasoned lentils, red onion, and cilantro
>>
>>8812983
>They don't know the multi generation effects of a vegan diet.

Yes we do, at least in Indian populations among certain Jains that forgo eggs/dairy. In Western populations there have been studies of Seventh Day Adventists who are a few generations old and practice vegetarian or vegan diets pretty often.
>>
>>8812889
Damn that looks good.
>>
>>8812899
Marry me.
>>
>>8813004
Most of them are vegetarians, so they still consume animal products.
>>
File: yummy.gif (10 KB, 314x360)
10 KB
10 KB GIF
>>8812889
>>8812899
>>8812922
>>8812931
>>8812943
>>8812959
>>8812967
>>8812973
>>8812990
>>
>>8812983
There are actually lots of people who were raised vegan since conception: Seba Johnson (Olympian), Nyjah Houston (professional skateboarder) - and then there's Joaquin Phoenix who's been vegan since age 3.

Tons of healthy vegan babies and children.

But this thread is about the food.
>>
>>8813020

I put out a tray and people were eating it without actually realizing it was vegan. Apparently some people said it was just like the garlic bread at this local restaurant, it had kind of a whipped butter consistency that this was very close to.

That butter technique is really good in general, I actually stole it out of "Seitan And Beyond" but totally changed the ratios and added miso paste and MSG.
>>
File: mushroom_pasta.jpg (319 KB, 1627x915)
319 KB
319 KB JPG
>>8812990

This was pretty good. I picked up several kinda of mushrooms at the asian market and fried them with onions in some oil for a while, then tossed with buttered pasta (see >>8812889 for recipe). Topped with roasted tomato and braised eggplant.
>>
>>8812962
>Being capable of enjoying things
Look at this fag
>>
File: 0413171214.jpg (680 KB, 2240x1344)
680 KB
680 KB JPG
If you swap out the pork for something else like veg-stuffed fried tofu (tahu isi sayuran) and use mushroom sauce instead of oyster sauce with the leaf broccoli, this meal would be vegan. (o:

Not pictured: stir-fried mushroom.
>>
File: pasta stuff.jpg (242 KB, 1627x915)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
>>8813151

Kind of a random amalgamation of food

- Buttered/garlic bowtie pasta with sewared slices of marinaded king oyster mushrooms (similar to scallops)

- Veggie and pressed/marinaded tofu stirfry with several kinda of mushrooms

- rice ball filled with sauteed mushroom/onion mix
>>
>>8813205
The vegan version actually sounds really good. Never had stuffed fried tofu before. Sounds bomb.
>>
File: meringue.jpg (90 KB, 1847x1039)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>8813243

First try at vegan meringue (whipped chickpea brine + sugar + vanilla + salt + cream of tartar)
>>
>>8813268
Fried stuffed tofu is one of my favourite foods. It's surprising that it's not better known outside of Indonesia. Even NL doesn't really care that it exists despite it being so damned delicious.
Basically, cut a square of tofu in quarters, corner to corner.
Cut a pocket into each triangular piece.
Stuff with cold, stir-fried veg. Whatever you like, but cabbage and carrot generally dominate. You can add mushrooms or whatever you enjoy. I dress the veg with mushroom sauce, which can be seen as a vegan alternative to oyster sauce. Finish the stir-fry with onion leaves, herb-celery leaves and bean sprouts.
Once stuffed, dredge the tofu in maizena then dip into a batter made from wheat and rice flours and either maizena or tapioca starch. For colour, you can add turmeric powder, but it's not necessary. Salt to taste. Many recipes add onion leaves and some add spices, such as white pepper or coriander seed powder.

Fry the tofu in hot oil until golden then drain. The maizena helps keep it crispy, even after it cools so it's a good picnic/roadtrip food.
>>
>>8813275
Nice. How was it?

>>8813311
That sounds incredible. Will definitely have to make it one of these days.
>>
>>8813311

That's actually a lot different than what I thought you meant by fried tofu. I've eaten fried tofu skins/inari (pic related) stuff with rice and fried mushrooms, for example.

>>8813337

It was pretty good, though drying out meringue in the oven is tricky. It was actually easier than egg whites though, since the proteins are already denatured you can't overwhip them, the foam is stable for hours and hours, and if it goes flat you can just whip it up again.
>>
File: resep tahu isi.jpg (19 KB, 496x285)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>8813385
>"pic related"
>no pic

>>8813337
Yeah, they're pretty baller. Any leftover veg and batter can be used to make a type of fritter (named either dadar or bakwan, depending on region). My favourite is sweetcorn fritter (dadar jagung), though I've never stuffed tofu with sweetcorn. Bet it'd be good, though.

Anyway, it's meant to be served with green chilli. You take a bite of tofu, then of chilli. Or split a piece of tofu and stuff a chilli into each half-pocket.
>>
Are there any good vegan desserts? All the recipes I've seen tend to be dense and dry.
>>
>>8813385
>>8813337
Oh, and just look up 'resep tahu isi sayuran' on google and use google translate for English for other versions other than the one I gave and/or clearer instructions. Hope you give it a try.
>>
>>8813531
Idky I'm in this thread cuz I'm not even vegan.

Anyway, I'm making a layered mango and coconut "flan" to bring to Easter tomorrow (called agar/puding mangga santan) which is vegan. Basically, puree mango with a little water and add sugar. If you're very strict about white sugars, which tend to be processed with bone char, use evaporated cane juice or palm sugar instead.
Pour the mango mixture through a sieve (to catch the fibres) into a sauce pan.
In a second saucepan, add coconut cream. You want roughly twice the amount of mango puree as coconut cream.
Sweeten the coconut cream and set both sauce pans to medium heat.
When bubbling, add seaweed extract powder (agar-agar) to both saucepans, enough for whatever volume you're cooking.
Simmer five minutes, then pour into a container in layers, starting with mango first, then coconut, ending on a layer of mango.
Allow to cool a bit, then refrigerate until ready to eat.

Usually, this is made with layers of plain coconut cream and pandan coconut cream, but I like the mango version more.

If you have an ice cream machine, mix coconut cream with coconut milk to get roughly 10% fat by volume then mix that 1:1 by weight with whatever fruit puree you like. Again, mango for me. Strain through fine mesh to get out the fibres, sweeten to taste then chill in the fridge a while. Run this base through your machine according to instructions for coconut ice cream of whatever flavour fruit you chose. Obviously, tropical fruits work best as they match best with the coconut-flavoured base.
>>
>>8813531
Try Chloe Coscarelli's recipes. There are infinite good vegan desserts. Her chocolate strawberry shortcake cupcakes are some of my favorite - be sure to use coconut milk in them. It makes them super moist and decadent. Also fluffy but not too fluffy. Just the perfect cupcakes.
>>
Thought about starting my own thread with this question, but it's not really thread worthy, so I'll post it here.

I'm a strict ethical vegan who purposefully moved in specifically with another vegan, so I don't have to smell animal products being cooked, or worry about contamination. I have a phobia of animal products. I don't even eat out anymore unless the restaurant is vegan.

So, I'm paying a shitload of money to share a room with this person, and I'm a full time college student who just quit their job and no longer has a source of income - so I'm here for 3 months just off the money I saved up, and I'm basically broke as hell making sure I have enough for the last month.

Then I find out I'm still smelling some really offensive smells every once in a while and I have to open all the windows and doors and I'm wondering what the fuck he's eating that smells so bad, or if the smell is actually coming from the neighbors. Then I find Morningstar faux bacon and sausages in the freezer - which aren't vegan. FUCK.

So basically the whole reason I quit my job and had to move two times this semester has been largely because I can't stand the smell and contamination from animal products, but here I am in my dream situation in a vegan household, only to find out it was falsely advertised and I'm paying a shitload more money than I normally would for essentially no reason.

The guy is really nice and he was vegetarian for a long time before going "vegan", so IDK I guess it's possible he just didn't think to look at the ingredients in the Morningstar foods. But what if he knows? Either way the conversation about it would be tense and awkward. But I really need him to not eat it because that's basically the whole reason I moved here.

How do I handle this sensitively? Thinking about working it into a conversation about how when I first went vegan I found that a lot of "dairy free cheeses" actually had casein - a milk protein, and how frustrating it was.
>>
>>8813937
I'm paying a shitload of money to share a house.*
>>
>>8812899
This looks fucking amazing. I'm gonna try making seitan soon — I'm pretty intimidated by it.
>>
>>8813937
Just bring it up! Say something like "Hey, I noticed some stuff in the freezer — not all Morningstar products are vegan. Some are just vegetarian. When I first went vegan, I didn't realize that a lot of vegetarian brands/foods/whatever weren't necessarily vegan. I wanted to make sure you knew, since you're a vegan too."
>>
>>8810847
You should drop all that shit and just have a pure glass of water.
For me, it's a pure glass of water.
>>
>>8812798
>vegans still like to eat good food
So why don't they?
>>
Yesterday I told at my family at my uncle and aunts wedding anniversary that I'm a vegan but nobody seemed to care and they still served me meat at the dinner, Wat do?
>>
>>8812958

I'm not sure you know what "processed" means, lad. Aside from the bouillon and liquid smoke, everything he listed is the opposite of processed.
>>
>>8813998
I'm new to seitan too. I haven't tried anything ambitious like those ribs, just steak bites. But steak bites are so easy. Slice your dough before simmering, not after. The strips look more like they have muscle grain when you do that.
>>
>>8810847
Remind me not to be a vegan.
Oh you did.
Thanks.
>>
>>8814407
Oh nice, good to know! Thanks
>>
>>8814078
a) Force them to watch undercover investigations of farms until they understand or don't want contact with you anymore.
b) Cut all contact with them, because they're either drooling idiots who can't be helped, or assholes.
c) Refuse it politely and hold all your rage inside and either become a helpless, spineless shell of a person, or one day explode and slaughter your family members (or some less extreme but similarly rooted variant).
d) Deliberately ruin their anniversary like they ruined the life of the animal they served you.
>>
>>8812931
>just gonna grab a tomatillo real quick, bro
>>
>>8814036
I wish I had the confidence to just be that blunt about it. I don't want to put them on the spot about it. I would be embarrassed if someone called me out on something like that. It's kind of like calling someone out on taking massive dumps and not flushing.
>>
>>8814426
Yeah, I get it. It's awkward and uncomfortable. But if you lived with someone who took a dumb without flushing you'd either eventually
A) tell them (maybe they close the lid and then flush and walk away?)
or
B) move out.

Would you rather have an awkward two minute conversation which might end up bringing something they didn't know (and would WANT to know, considering they say they're vegan) to their attention or move out?
>>
>>8810932
>cashews in my pantry that are about to go bad
>cashews
>go bad
>>
>>8812889
>5/6 cup
>1/8 tsp

these fucked up measurements jesus. at this level of autism you might as well just use weight or milliliter.
>>
>>8814448
they can get rancid, that's why I keep my nuts chillin' in the freezer
>>
>>8814460
>he doesn't weigh his spices in Planck masses

Enjoy having all of your seasonings GROSSLY UNBALANCED you fucking DILETTANTE
>>
>>8814475
1/6 cup is a little more than 2 tbl. Thats retarded. I've never even seen that.

1/8 tsp is probably 2 drops from an eyedropper.
>>
>>8814460

I actually just add coconut oil up to the 2/3 cup mark, then add canola oil until the 12oz (1.5 cup) mark. It just so happens that it works out to 5/6 cup canola oil. The original recipe called for something like 1 cup of coconut oil to 1/3 cup canola oil, and I adjusted that to 2/3 each -which was better, but having slightly more canola leaves it with a better texture IMO.

1/8 tsp MSG is because MSG is pretty potent, and that is actually a serving of MSG according to the package.
>>
HIDE vegan threads

IGNORE vegan threads

DO NOT REPLY to vegan posters
>>
2/3 + 5/6 does not equal 1.5 anon...
>>
File: FB_IMG_1479704592666.jpg (75 KB, 951x960)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
Who else has vegan animals? My dog and cat are both vegan, and while I sometimes have a hard time thinking of vegan foods to feed them (especially ones that don't cause runny poo) I think it's much healthier for them.
>>
>>8814527
your bait is bad. go try on /an/
>>
>>8813998
>>8814407

Buy "Seitan and Beyond" by Skye Michael Conroy. The first time I made seitan that was really any good, it came out of that book. It's very technically specific and explains the techniques and what ingredients and steps are essential, etc.

After you've done it a few times, you learn some stuff.

> Pure wheat gluten will give you a very chewy seitan, but it's usually better/more meat-like to add something extra to break it up. Nutritional yeast or a slurry (pureed beans, potato, tofu, lots of stuff) works well for this, though each one will affect texture, mouthfeel, flavor, etc, differently. Black beans are probably better for "beef" style than tofu, which is better for "chicken style".

> Cooking style affects texture greatly. As does compressing form using cheesecloth (when streaming, simmering, or pressure cooking) or foil (when baking or steaming). Briefly baking can also make a seitan "fix" its shape, so you can later simmer it without a covering.

> Letting it rest overnight improves texture 1000%
>>
File: math.png (8 KB, 524x224)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>8814521
>2/3 + 5/6 does not equal 1.5 anon...

I hate to break it to you...
>>
>>8814521
Ummmmmm
>>
File: do-chay-xu-hue.jpg (2.17 MB, 1496x965)
2.17 MB
2.17 MB JPG
I dont understand why you white people are so exciting about vegan foods. I am from Asia and vegan foods are just normal foods. I myself eat them once or twice per week for fun. I eat a lot of meat too.
>>
>>8814547

I did a lot of analysis on this post and it checks out.
>>
>my food has too much flavor! What should I do?
>Don't worry. I've got this covered.
>>
>>8814631
>filename says vegetarian food in vietnamese
>has sausage in one of the dishes
>>
File: IMG_20161105_121924.jpg (105 KB, 690x960)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
Some stuff for people interested in trying to go vegan or vegetarian:

Best brand is Morningstar. Gardein is good, some stuff is a bit funky. Boca is decent burgers. Dr. Praeger's burgers just fall apart. Don't touch Quorn, don't even try it. That shit is fucked up and will fuck you up.

I've found there's this weird inverse relationship with meat and meatless meats. The more shitty the "meat" version, the better the meatless.

Meatless chicken nuggets, hot dogs, and corn dogs are just better than the real thing. But I can't stand the grilled strips and beef tips sort of stuff.

Best meatless: nuggets, hot dogs, burgers, corn dogs, sausage patties, ground beef, deli slice, meatballs.

Avoid: grilled breast, grilled strips, beef tips, beef strips. Anything that is still a whole piece of meat, they just can't seem to replicate stuff that isn't ground.

Ribs are a bit iffy, they taste like a McRib. Bacon doesn't taste like pork bacon, more like turkey, so if you like that go for it.

I have yet to find smoked sausage. I feel like it would be good, anyone know a brand?
>>
>>8814692
shot in the dark here — because that person likes food and cooking, felt like experimenting with a recipe, and then liked the way it tasted.
>>
>>8814693
Field Roast's breakfast sausage is the best I've found. It's not the same, but it's more than tolerable.
>>
File: krippfu.png (440 KB, 525x654)
440 KB
440 KB PNG
Long shot: but any good vegan food in Toronto? I wanna start eating less meat.
>>
>>8814443
Well, I'm nervous that maybe they DO know, and just don't care. But I guess what I'll do is first try to work it into a conversation that so many products have hidden animal ingredients, even faux meats and cheeses. Then if they don't connect the dots or don't seem to care, I'll be like, "I'm so sorry to tell you this, but a lot of Morningstar products aren't actually vegan. I had the same discovery with a dairy free cheese once that I didn't realize had casein, a milk protein in it, so I thought I better let you know in case you didn't."

Honestly I'd actually rather live with someone who took dumps without flushing. So I will definitely have to take care of this issue. Just such an uncomfortable position to be in to let an animal lover know they're still abusing animals - and stinking out their roommate, and giving them anxiety they specifically moved in to avoid.
>>
>>8814448
They have an expiration date for this month. I had them in my pantry for a year or two. Never actually used them because it's not pleasant to cook in a kitchen shared with meat eaters.
>>
>>8814693
MORNINGSTAR SUCKS EXCEPT FOR THE RIBLETS AND CHICK'N STRIPS (WHICH ARE LIKE THE SAME AS GARDEIN'S). GARDEIN IS THE BEST. BOCA HAS SOME STUFF THAT IS BLAND AND CONTROVERSIAL BUT THEIR CHICK'N IS BOMB.
Agreed about Quorn, but haven't tried their new vegan products. Dr. Praeger's is pretty good but actually a VEGGIE veggie burger, and yeah they can fall apart and are kinda soft but can be crispy on the outside depending on how you make them.

Sorry for typing in caps, I just had a gut reaction when I read Morningstar was the best and wanted to yell from the mountaintops that you were wrong.

People like different vegan products like people like different animal based products though I guess. I think Gardein is objectively good, but whatever.
>>
>>8814710
DOOOMIE'S. Toronto has a DOOMIE'S. Please go to it and tell me how it is so I can live vicariously through you.
>>
>>8810873
I doubt this would work for people who actually decided to be vegans

this would only work for posers that turn vegan for some time to impress someone

just admit that vegans want meat eaters food, just not the meat, so they deceive themselves with copies
>>
>>8814857
Some, maybe, but personally I genuinely think they taste far superior to animal meat.

Vegan meat improvements have no veins, gristle, slime, connective tissue, bloody "juice", worms, bones, or any of the disgusting parts of meat. The flavor and texture is also improved in many of them, in my opinion. Honestly it's hard for me to believe someone could genuinely have a different opinion if they've tried the vegan meat improvements I have (Gardein, Field Roast, etc.) because they're just so superior.

You can argue all you want - this isn't a political stance I'm taking or me just trying to convince you. I would actually love to be able to say that vegan meat alternatives taste worse but at least _________, because then I wouldn't have a bunch of autistic meat eaters harassing me about how wrong I am, and we could move on to more important topics. But nah, this is my genuine opinion and I feel it passionately. I would have gone vegan purely for the taste of the food if I hadn't been so ignorant before and never tried them.
>>
>>8814873
i don't deny that some vegan alternatives are superior.

I'm just pointing human nature

if you can't have something you want because it's expensive you get a cheaper alternative

people desire things other people have

so when vegans see people eating something and showing in their faces that is delicious, vegans want a vegan alternative

it's not really so people transitioning can adapt better (although it helps)
>>
>>8811152
You sound like you eat nothing but meat, man-meat and churn the milky protein in your mouth. Just saying.
>>
>>8814888
I don't know, I mean I guess, yeah, for some or maybe even a lot of vegans that plays a role. I mean yeah, true, like on Thanksgiving, vegans often want the traditional kind of Thanksgiving with a turkey-like centerpiece without the turkey death, torture, or environmental destruction attached with it. I also remember wanting to share my stuffed turkey-less roasts with my meat eating family. Of course they're absolute mongoloids and didn't even try it because they automatically assumed it'd be gross - even though it was a fucking improvement in every sense of the word. Guess they just didn't deserve it. Cunts.

Anyway, I don't see people eating meat and think, "Oh wow that looks good I want something just like that!" I think, "Fucking disgusting I'm going to gag how the fuck did I used to eat that vile shit. I need to leave it fucking reeks, how can I excuse myself politely?"

So yeah, vegan meat improvements are just a completely different thing to me. I don't see it as a meat alternative at all. It's its own thing.
>>
>>8814873
>autistic meat eaters

www.thesaurus.com

>getting btfo by a literal autist
Your tears sustain me, vegan scum.
>>
>>8814873
Blood and marrow are delicious as all hell. It's disappointing to eat vegan wings and always have them either be boneless bullshit (boneless wings are bullshit even when they're made of chicken) or on an unsatisfying solid wood dowel. Cardiac muscle is the richest, darkest muscle in any animal, and it's the piece with the biggest vein. Just something about blood, man. Blood makes it go. There's a reason the Impossible Foods people are trying so hard to get blood right.
>>
>>8815069
I'm so close to vomiting my eyes are watering.

God I think I might actually vomit.
>>
>>8815069
From my perspective this is exactly like someone describing to me why they enjoy the taste of feces and blood smoothies.
>>
>>8815104
Yes, I have noticed that your tastes are different from mine. Here's a question for you. Let's say that someone like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7PncoBZZWM

...realized that their fetish was cruel and exploitative, but didn't want to give up their greatest pleasure in life either. Would you be upset if a company tried to accommodate his needs by producing a realistic vegan alternative?

>related to the keyword search: Scott Walker's state-of-the-state address

kek
>>
>>8815749
Are you asking for a friend?
>>
>>8815104
>From my perspective
>enjoy the taste of feces

You must if you enjoy vegan food
>>
>>8814415
>>8814080
e) don't be a cunt and accept the fact don't always care about you and won't always go as you want
>>
>>8811318
if it taste like meatball and looks like meatball im gonna call it fucking meatball go fuck yourself
>>
is lab-produced meat vegan
>>
>>8816374
>people not caring about you
>people serving you meat even though you clearly said you were vegan
>somehow you're the one being a cunt for not being totally forgiving

Stop trying to force vegans to be unrealistically pacifistic to cater to you. Why should we care about you when you don't care about us? Get the fuck over yourselves.
>>
>>8816495
It is in vegans' interest to be pacifistic.
>>
>>8816536
I passionately disagree.
>>
>>8816495
>Why should we care about you when you don't care about us?

We do care about you. That's why we keep trying to give you wholesome, nourishing food that your withering body and mind desperately need.
>>
I always thought that there two types of people in this world

people who know they are hypocrites and people who think they are not hypocrites

if all people in the world stop using cow products and turn vegan, what do you think would happen? all the cows in the world would live happily ever after?

it would be a cow genocide, pastures would turn into fields, and the only place you would see cows would be the zoo. (and India)

non vegan (and Indians) are the people who actually keep the cows alive
>>
>>8816747
deep
>>
>soy """"""""""milk""""""""""
>non-dairy """"""""""cheese""""""""""
>veggie """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""burger""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
>>
>>8814786

Hate to break it to you but it sounds like you got more problems then people having contamination and it's in neurotic territory.

If you don't like it then gtfo and find someone else to live with.
>>
File: 1492212882991.png (32 KB, 640x400)
32 KB
32 KB PNG
>>8815057
>be vegan
>make something without turkey for Thanksgiving
>family turns it down
>Haha what a bunch of cunts

This isn't even a post against vegans, but, like, just don't force your beliefs on others, you sperg. Just because you may not like meat doesn't make your alternatives "better in every sense of the word" and you should learn to adapt. For fucks sake, don't force out the turkey if the majority of your family are meat eaters, but make the roast alongside it so people can try it and maybe like it.

Tldr: don't force your beliefs on others; learn to accommodate and find a way around it. I'm not saying become a submissive weenie, but, like, accept that people like meat.
>>
Really, vegan and strictly carnivorous diets are both kinda dumb. It's like nobody on Earth realizes that moderation is key and that no meat (or no veggies) are just shit ideas.
>>
File: schrodingers cattle.jpg (35 KB, 469x314)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>8816747
>>
>>8816835
Yes, moderation is smart because it's in between. Nothing in moderation could ever be completely wrong, because it's in between two "extremes". At least that's what I tell myself because researching stuff is hard, lol.
>>
>>8810847
Today I made tofu saag using onions, tomatoes, coconut milk, and just this packet of saag aloo spices. Then obviously tofu and spinach. And I was pretty stoked I found some pre-made vegan naan at Sprouts. I never thought I would find pre-made vegan naan. And at the same grocery store I happened to be buying the other ingredients at. It's like it was meant to be. I ate way too much though and haven't even taken a pic. Not quite sure it's worth it though since it just looks like a pretty standard tofu saag with naan.

Anyway, was pretty good and easy because I don't know a thing about Indian spices and wouldn't know how to use my own blend. Not quite as good as the tofu saag this Indian restaurant near me makes it, but very satisfying just the same. Nice way to get some greens into the diet.

Also in case anyone tries this, I did also add salt and pepper when I was sauteeing the onions, and a little garlic when I added the tofu.
>>
File: saag aloo seasoning.jpg (68 KB, 399x550)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>8817653
Forgot the image.
>>
>>8817653
> I never thought I would find pre-made vegan naan. And at the same grocery store I happened to be buying the other ingredients at
>Sprouts
>being surprised there was hippy food at the hippy grocery store

I'm glad for you but c'mon.
>>
>>8817680
Compared to other grocery stores they actually almost have a limited selection of vegan food. Was disappointed in their lack of vegan baked desserts. But surprised by the fresh vegan olive bread, different variety of vegan ice creams, the spice packs, and some other things they don't offer anywhere else.

Was annoyed because I got excited over their veggie corn dogs, but when I picked them up, they were only vegetarian, not vegan. Like what the fuck is even the point..... Why do companies like this bother making vegetarian options that aren't also vegan? Don't they realize they're cutting off a large consumer base by doing that?
>>
File: 83151011_0_640x640.jpg (74 KB, 640x640)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>8814693
What? Quorn is good though.
>>
>>8817755
Don't think that one's vegan. Pretty sure if they're vegan they have a big green vegan label on them. Tried their vegan burgers and they were pretty good though.
>>
>tfw going over to sisters apartment for lunch
>tfw her roommate is a preachy vegan cunt
>tfw she spends 45 minutes bragging about all the cool vegan substitutions you can make to make normal foods vegan
>eventually she produces strange blobs of coconut flour and various other things that she calls pancakes
>take each doughy bite with as much fruit as I can fit on my fork
>the texture is this strange fragile matter that disintegrates if you're anywhere near it
>has no structure
>has color but no flavor because lol margarine
>eat my entire plate and leave still hungry
Dooming yourself to a mediocre life with this arbitrary dietary restriction is pure foolishness, you'll never stop the meat industry, you'll die one day no matter how health conscious you are. I feel sorry for you all.
>>
>>8817818
>things that never happened
>>
>>8810847
>>
>>8810873
>They call it that...

....because they're pretentious fucks trying to convince themselves that their bullshit fake food is as palatable as normal food.
>>
>>8810847
I'll have you know that I'm on a strict raw paleo-vegan diet.
>>
>>8817984
>being this pretentious
>calling other people who aren't pretentious at all pretentious
>>
>>8813937
How do you handle it? Honestly, the best bet would be to buck up and deal with your own issues before you go for other people.

Now, don't get me wrong here, I'm being offensive not because I find your beliefs laughable, I don't, I respect your decision and admire your moral backbone, but I do think you've fallen too far into the extreme end of those beliefs. Your incredibly obtuse living requirements are having a direct negative impact on your life, far heavier than just that of not being able to eat meat or animal products, and you've reached the point where they are potentially about to have a negative impact on the life of those around you, and even if you don't intend for it, you're going to inevitably come off as incredibly sanctimonious when you bring it up.

Surely you can see that you have a problem here, right?

I recommend seeing a therapist to try to get over your ingrained aversion to animal products. Not to eat them, of course, but not being able to be in the same building as somebody who is cooking fake sausages without getting sick and having a meltdown like this is straight up not healthy. I'm sorry, but it's not. Either work out your own problems, or go live as a hermit, because you're actively rendering yourself nigh-unable to live amongst people who do not share your own narrow beliefs.
>>
>>8817818
Your sister's roommate is one of the retard vegans who doesn't know how to cook. Hate to break it to you.
>>
Ah yes. What a nice, peaceful thread to hang out in after the hell that is Easter.

>>8817695
This is hilarious but the point is it allows them a broader range of cheaper ingredients and suppliers to choose from while still appealing to the "health food" crowd. Used to happen to me with cheese and yogurt on a regular fucking basis.

>>8817653
Anyway, this sounds not too bad. Potentially stupid question, but do your leftovers hold up well for something like this? I've been looking for something I can pack for weekday lunches that doesn't reduce me to peanut butter sandwiches by the second day after cooking.
>>
>>8820237
I think it's fine as leftovers. I just finished the last of it though, it was so good. So I only had it in the fridge for like 24 hours. Even better as leftovers though.

After leaving it overnight I realized I might not even have to tweak the recipe at all actually. It's pretty much as good at the Indian restaurant's version. I can't pinpoint what spices are different in their version since I've never really used Indian spices individually to see what each tastes like. But maybe one day I'll really perfect it. For now though, this was good.
>>
is lab produced meat vegan?
>>
>>8820237
Oh, and you might be able to freeze it. I don't know how long it would last in the fridge.
>>
>>8820387
>>8820400
Thanks. I probably will try it, though my spices will probably be a little off because I never think of buying packs like that when I go out. Usually have enough at home that I can at least approximate.
If I can get even half a week out of it that'll be better than what I'm doing now.
>>
>>8820440
Also great with basmati rice. And I use firm tofu, perfect texture for this IMO. Not too dense, and not too soft it starts crumbling.
>>
>>8810847
Humans are omnivores. Fuck off vegan faggots.
>>
>>8816438
It doesn't taste like a meatball.
>>
>>8820472
Can confirm they actually do taste like meatballs.

Source: Meatball eater.
>>
File: Vegan.png (2.95 MB, 1753x987)
2.95 MB
2.95 MB PNG
>>
>>8820504
I can confirm that they dont taste like meatballs.

Source: Apex meatball eater.
>>
>>8820557
As a meat eater, I can confirm that I actually buy the vegan meatballs because they taste better than the other meatballs I used to buy.

Source: taste buds.
>>
Vegan diets will never be able to reach the culinary levels of other diets because they are unable to replicate the addictive taste of dairy products
And because of that fact alone I feel that every vegan dish which prides itself on its taste rather than its nutritional value and health benefits is a joke
>>
>>8820578
I ate animal products my entire life and I didn't know what the fuck real food was til I went vegan.

So you've tried specifically vegan food a few times in your life and you think you're an authority on what tastes better?

I feel so sorry for people like you. You have no clue what you're missing. But I feel sorry for the animals more, obviously. Your ego and ignorance has severe consequences.
>>
>>8820448
That's what I was thinking. I usually have rice laying around anyway. Also I prefer firm tofu for most recipes, plus it's easy to press/dry rub/marinate/whatever. Am I just not using softer tofu to its full potential?

>>8820565
Recommend me some vegan meatballs, anon. I usually find them too boring so I have no knowledge.
>>
>>8820669
Trader Joe's makes really good smaller, basic yet tasty vegan meatballs.

Gardein makes the larger ones, and they're really good, especially if you like fennel. If you don't like fennel much they're still good but you might bite into a piece and get that fennel flavor in your mouth. Personally my favorite are the Trader Joe's meatless meatballs, but my friend says Gardein meatballs are the best he's ever had. He's a meat eater btw.
>>
>>8820633
I'm actually vegan too but that besides the point

Fat tastes good, dairy fat is by far the tastiest
Without dairy you're left with much worst alternatives such as plant oils
Dairy products also have an addictive effect on top of containing sugar that further improves their taste

As for meat, eggs, fish, seafoods, etc... I'm fairly confident we already have alternatives that taste as good if not better, and if we don't they'll will be created soon enough
>>
File: BocaOriginalVegan.jpg (310 KB, 800x419)
310 KB
310 KB JPG
I eat meat but have to confess these are good.
>>
>>8820669
I think soft tofu has more specific uses. I also never use it myself. Firm tofu is about as soft as I'll go. But I'm not a great chef or anything, just a decent enough home chef, so IDK. You could probably do cool things with it, I just know for savory dishes soft tofu is always my last choice.
>>
>>8820699
If you think those are good you'll think just about any vegan food is good. Expand your horizons, anon. That's probably the most bland vegan product out there. (I like it too though, just have to be in the mood for that very subtle flavor.)
>>
>>8820696
I don't believe you've been vegan very long. How long have you been vegan, a week? You've got a lot more products to try if you genuinely believe this...

Dairy is an acquired taste. You learn this after you've been vegan a while and realize how revolting it smells, and if you accidentally eat some (example: butter), you'll have to wash your mouth out because the taste is so foul. Speaking from personal experience btw.

Anything "good" about dairy minus I guess the casomorphins is better with the vegan alternatives. And they aren't even acquired tastes, except maybe certain brands of soy product.

I mean I guess it's possible you're a vegan who has hardly used any vegan products and hasn't experimented at all with cooking outside their standard animal based cooking knowledge. But IDK I'm having a hard time believing you're a real vegan. Because our food is just so superior I don't understand how you could not realize that.
>>
File: fuckingyogurt.jpg (284 KB, 772x760)
284 KB
284 KB JPG
Had this question for so long I forgot to even post it.

Has anyone found a proper plain vegan yogurt? Not this sweetened American shit, but stiff, tangy, the real stuff. Currently have pic related for cooking, I love this brand but the only thing worse would be using nothing at all. For a while I had a plain one that really didn't taste sweet (had "plant" in the name, haven't seen it on shelves in months) which was a step up, but still essentially the same thing. I've been essentially resigned to going without for the past year, but I am disgracing my balkan heritage, anon.
>>
>>8820807
I'd say soy would probably be the best one for a plain vegan yogurt, depending on what you're using it for. For some reason the soy yogurts tend to be thicker than coconut and almond yogurts, in my experience.

I'll be on the lookout for a plain vegan yogurt soon I think since I'll be using it to make saag, and will let you know if I find one that's stiff, tangy, and not sweet. Depending on how long this thread is up for and how long it takes me to go to the grocery store.
>>
>>8820747
You seem more knowledgeable than me, so I'll quietly retreat and admit defeat

The one thing I miss most from dairy that I can't get from vegan alternative is creamy mushroom soup
I used to cook diced up onions in a hefty amount of butter and that served as the base
Do you have any recommendation on what could replace butter in this specific dish? I tried everything in my nearby markets and nothing came close
>>
>>8820847
I actually happen to make an excellent creamy mushroom soup (used for green bean casserole).

Use Earth Balance. Make a roux with it, add your mushrooms, sauteed onions, add unsweetened soy milk (good brand, there are some like Trader Joe's and Costco's that have a more potent soy taste you might not want - probably not that noticeable when you're adding flavoring, but just fyi). Then add your seasoning to taste, pepper, garlic, soy sauce is what I use.
>>
>>8820864
Alright, I'll try that out ASAP
Thanks
>>
>>8810847
>Post your favorite vegan recipes and products here.
chips, french fries and a bunch of other shit which doesn't even have the label vegan on it. most of the time, because retards like these
>>8811208
>>8811334
>>8810956
people keep perpetuating the idea of vegan food being disgusting even though they eat it all the time and like it as well.
there are much more specific things like soy milk, tofu and quorn which taste great if you prepare them properly and some are just bad depending on brand and how the are made (same as meat, I dislike certain sausages for example).
>>
>>8820872
You're welcome.
>>
>>8820456
ffs people do heroin. i'm not vegan but if you guys want to be vegan than make it delicious.
>>
i want to go vegan, but i have a palate of an 8 year old. i cant eat anything more complicated than a grilled cheese sandwich.

most veggies, mushrooms, etc make me gag and i cant even swallow them. what do i do?
>>
>>8820456
Humans are herbivores. Fuck off fat faggot.
>>
>>8821689
Eat vegan cheese. It's not as good as real cheese, but it is as good as Singles.
>>
>>8821706
but Singles are disgusting.
>>
>>8820633
>I ate animal products my entire life and I didn't know what the fuck real food was til I went vegan.

This is a pretty dumb opinion

As a non-vegan, I can eat non-vegan food... And also vegan food. Maybe I know something really tasty that happens to be vegan, there's no barrier preventing me from making it. Maybe the next day I'll have a juicy steak. That's actually why I'm in this thread, desu, I found a few recipes in here which I like a lot, despite not being vegan.

So cut the bullshit. The only reason to go vegan is moral outrage. Well okay maybe health reasons if you have some really fucky disorders, but mostly moral outrage. Point being, morality is a good reason, a very respectable reason, and the only one you should actually need. Vegans who proselytise are always cancer (Actually, most anybody who proselytises for any ideology is shitty), but vegans who proselytise by advertising bullshit health benefits and better tasting food are just delusional.
>>
>>8821697
Lek, emphatically no. Stop adopting kelly anne's alternative truths me boiyo. We would have been extinct long ago if that were the case.
>>
>>8812943
Looks great! How'd you get the even golden brown on the cauliflower?
I tend to mostly pale white with the only GBD portions being the small pieces that fell off on the side. This is roasting at 400 about half an hour, moving them around halfway.
>>
File: bleh.gif (1 MB, 300x186)
1 MB
1 MB GIF
>>8814415
Sometimes I consider going vegan, but then I see posts like this that have the possibility of not being bait, and think, my goodness, could I turn into this kind of piece of shit?
are there neuro-active chemicals in this food that literally make you less of a person?
>>
>>8821831
There is a barrier though. There are a lot of things you just wont try because you have no inclination to go fully vegan and test out a bunch of vegan recipes and products. And most meat eaters here have an even bigger barrier, they won't try anything if it has the name "vegan" in front of it.

The best reason to go vegan is for the animals and environment and whatnot, never said anything to the contrary. But a really nice side effect is that the food is superior. I mean if you're going to a place to eat and they have some half assed vegan option and another menu with "normal" non-vegan food, then yeah, it's gonna suck ass. (Not to say there aren't restaurants that have really good vegan options out there.) But when you learn to cook vegan food for yourself and try out different products, you'll wish you had gone vegan a lot sooner.

Sure it's "subjective" and I guess there's a possibility you just suck at cooking and/or are trying bad recipes (but even then there are lots of vegan products that make it so you can eat delicious food without having to cook). But there isn't a single animal based product that I used to eat that makes me wish there were a better vegan option available. Because all of the ones that do exist taste better than the "real thing."

And it's just super hard for me to believe that anyone who really went full on vegan for a few years would actually believe that the vegan diet wasn't superior in taste. It would be a Twilight Zone moment for me if I met someone who had legitimately been vegan for years and still had a craving for something non-vegan. I just don't think it's possible. Unless they were one of those raw vegans I guess.
>>
I'm a meat lover here to remind my vegan bros that if you have the money to sustain your lifestyle you are awesome and will probably make it to the year when life-extending medicine has developed (assuming you're 20-30yo right now).
>>
File: someshit.jpg (540 KB, 600x800)
540 KB
540 KB JPG
>>8821869
What do you roast with? Some people will do really simple plain or olive oil and salt/pepper, honestly I prefer having a batter if I'm going to be playing with cauliflower.

Pic related is from a while back, an ugly version (I know, anon) of hot for food's buffalo cauliflower. I've changed up this recipe a little but haven't made it in a long time. Color is a little fucked because I screwed my fat ratio but it's hard to mess these fuckers up in terms of taste. Bottom is after first batter and bake, top is finished product. I've made smaller batches for someone who didn't want the hot version with just the first batter (so bottom pic), it works better if you really work on your seasoning and of course you need to watch your oven time if you're going to do that.

>>8812931
>>8812967
>>8812973
Fuck
>>
>>8810873
This is entirely the wrong way to go about vegan food.

>hmmm i think I'll be vegan for a while for the health benefits
>what a great chance to explore eastern and middle eastern cuisine
>what's this? tofurky? hallelujah! i don't have try anything different and scawy
>ugh it tastes like pants
>back to my old diet then... wow vegan food sucks

I would like you to please control your anger if you respond Mr. Fake Vegan :^)
>>
>>8810847
>pizza
>mozzarella
>lasagne
>meat
>cow
>cheese
>cheese
>cheese
>meat
>pizza
>cow
>cheese
>cheese
>cheese
>cheeze
>parmesan

Don't buy any of this stuff guys.
I'm only shilling it because it's bad.
>>
File: eatthis.jpg (724 KB, 954x1108)
724 KB
724 KB JPG
>>8822367
Frozen cashew cheesecake bites. More finagling than I'm used to for a small amount of food, but delicious. Don't forget the lemon juice if you do this.

Also don't expect to eat these like a cheesecake. They work better in small portions like this because they'll melt if you leave them out of the freezer.

Turns out I don't mind raw vegan for desserts.
>>
>>8820876
>a vegan diet can't be bad because oreos are good
>>
File: massageyourgreens.jpg (1.3 MB, 1582x1032)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
>>8822391
Good ol potatoes on rice. This is from back when I cared about that high carb lyfe, so a little dry. Could really use a good sauce, but ultimately easy on the wallet and time management, and flavorful enough.
I miss actually making things I cared about enough to document.
>>8813311
>>8817653
Might post results from one of these late this week if there's a thread.
>>
File: 1484789110422.png (56 KB, 401x372)
56 KB
56 KB PNG
I'd go vegetarian but not vegan. I like dairy too much.
>>
>>8820807

I make my own in an "instant pot" electric pressure cooker, which has a yogurt setting. It's the only way I've found to get unsweetened, unflavored soy yogurt. The store only has really runny nondairy yogurts that, if nothing else, are vanilla flavored - which is shit when I want to make tzatziki.
>>
>>8821869

Mix together coconut oil, chili powder, and salt; brush evenly and liberally across both sides of the cauliflower, and then place it on a preheated castiron at 400, and stick in a toaster (convection) oven and reduce temp to 350. Flip when the bottom is evenly and heavily browned.
>>
File: 1453152313245.jpg (151 KB, 550x550)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
>tfw this thread is starting to become comfy as the shitposting dies down
These cooking tips and recipes threads are what /ck/ should be instead of fast food circle jerking
>>
>>8822821
Cool, those things look nice. What's your experience with vegan starter cultures? I have family members who know how to get the heating and fermentation right, but I've never tried making my own non-dairy because all the reviews say you'll just get the same runny stuff you find in stores. I would eat the hell out of some tzatziki right now.

>>8822841
The truth
>>
>>8822803
Then just go vegetarian
Every bit helps
>>
>>8822841
That's why theyre going to split the board. Makes a lot of sense.
>>
>>8822895

I literally just bought the first one I saw on Amazon and it worked fine
>>
>>8822391
>I don't mind raw vegan for desserts

Raw veganism is the kind of dangerous restrictive psycho bullshit that discolors ethical veganism. But since so many foods are delicious raw, they're gonna have some delicious recipes. Anything made of pureed nuts and dates will be good. Guacamole is raw vegan food!

I used to live near a health food store that sold raw blueberry cheesecake slices. Those were great.
>>
>>8822924
Guess I'll try it then.

>>8823140
I'm with ya anon, and jealous.

How many here live in bigger cities with specifically vegetarian/vegan restaurants? I might as well be in the middle of nowhere when it comes to that stuff. There are a number of restaurants in my area that have one to two meals that can be veganized if you ask and describe what needs to be done, but the freedom of just being able to walk in and order anything on the menu that looks good. That's the dream.
>>
>>8823140
>Vegans calling other kooks restrictive psycho bullshit

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
O
O
O
O
L

LOL!
>>
>>8814527
>vegan cat

Is....is this bait?
>>
>>8823918
Obviously bait, that's why no vegans bothered responding to it. Real vegans who do choose to feed their cats vegan are very careful about what they feed them and don't "have a hard time thinking of vegan foods to feed them", and have their health monitored by a vet regularly. It is possible, just have to be careful. But honestly, my brother's cat died from being fed Science Diet kibble, which is too dry for cats and the main ingredient was corn, so really the people criticizing vegans for feeding their cats vegan food are a bit hypocritical because they're not harassing everyone who feeds their cat Science Diet.

But I find that most vegans who happen to have cats feed their cats meat - the most "ethically" sourced possible, because they're too scared to try feeding them a vegan diet.

Most vegans will not adopt cats because of this. Dogs on the other hand are an entirely different story and can actually be perfectly healthy on a vegan diet.
>>
>>8812706
Then there's the inevitable gender reassignment surgery later. Pricey
>>
>>8822403
>>a vegan diet can't be bad because oreos are good
it's the taste that people talk about, who cares about nutrition?
>>
>>8824205
>dogs healthy as vegan

I think you mean they might survive. A happy, healthy life? Fuck no. Projecting your loony veganism on an animal that's primarily a carnivore dependent on you for nurturing is nothing short of abuse. You should be ashamed you pathetic, insufferable bitch.
>>
>>8824216
>Veganism is for WOMEN- who cares if there's estrogen in my food and not in theirs - HURTING OTHERS IS THE MANLY THING TO DO I DON'T CARE IF IT LOWERS MY TESTOSTERONE OR MAKES WOMEN THINK I'M A WEAK ASS BETA."
>>
File: organicvegandicks.jpg (109 KB, 750x1000)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
Well, one thing we know is that vegans swallow. That's all they're good for.
>>
>>8823918
"Cats do not need meat to survive.
Technically speaking, cats need a specific assemblage of nutrients which meet all of their dietary needs, Chief among these are taurine, arachidonic acid, pyroxidine, methionine, and vitamin A. It just so happens that these nutrients are conveniently packaged in the proper proportions in form of fresh meat. It is also important that the cat's diet allows them to maintain a healthy pH balance between 6.2-6.4
Now, if modern science could provide a way to deliver these nutrients without the need for killing animals in horrific slaughterhouse conditions, would this be such a terrible thing? The commercial meat-based pet food industry creates a 'food' that is so far removed from the natural diet of the ancestor of the common housecat, and one that is so lacking in the essential nutrients that a cat needs, that they must supplement their product the very same nutrients that vegan cat food manufacturers add to their products (taurine, vitamins, minerals, etc....). Go read the label on your meat based cat food. Again, if this is the perfect food for them, then why the need for all of the supplementation?
Furthermore, as a vegan, why would you choose to doom hundreds of animals to die in a slaughterhouse to feed a single animal that only exists due to human irresponsibility and hubris? Why love one animal and kill others? Isn't this the same question that we ask carnists? Domestic cats should not really exist, at all. Their existence is not natural, so talk about the natural diet of such animals is complete nonsense."
.....
>>
>>8823918
People often claim that feeding their cat a plant based diet is cruel because it harms the health of the cat. Given that all of the required nutrients are present in such diets, i'm not sure where these claims arise. The fact is that if you are not feeding your cat live mice and insects, you have no place to judge a person who is trying to find a way to feed their cat in a more compassionate manner. If anything, forcing a cat to eat meat is 100% detrimental to the health of the cows, chickens, ducks, sheep, and fish that are killed in the factory farming industry.
The meat based diet that you have chosen is not markedly more natural than a properly supplemented plant based offering. Many cats thrived on such a diet with the added precaution of careful monitoring of pH.
I've been asking the question for years, and thus far, not one person has been able to explain how forcing countless animals to suffer and die in a slaughterhouse is a more humane solution than a healthy, properly supplemented plant based diet for your cat." -Andy Williams

VIDEOS (including from vets)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDpksTlEAyI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIMBX3jdYM0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlUtKpAMIxo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OajcTvH_xo0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr9mNID85no
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrR4soiHOEw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYA1kTJCl1Y

"Don’t cats need a dietary source of Taurine?
Yes- and the vegan cat foods we carry contain adequate amounts. Although Taurine naturally occurs only in animal tissue, synthetic Taurine has been produced on a large scale since about 1930. In fact, many meat-based pet foods utilize synthetic Taurine to meet nutritional requirements as well (most naturally-occurring Taurine is washed away during the rendering process)!"
http://www.vegancats.com/veganfaq.php

"My veterinarian / some website / etc. says that cats and dogs can't possibly be vegan and be healthy. Are they right?"
>>
>>8823918
The answer is, no. If we hadn't had experience in working with thousands of people over the years who have had lifelong vegan cats and dogs that are happy and healthy, we'd be inclined to agree. However, the proof lies in the fact that many, many people have successfully transitioned their companion animals to vegan diets without ANY negative health complications, proving the statement "cats and dogs can't be vegan" quite untrue. Of course, as we state above, some cats may have difficulties on a 100% vegan diet if they are prone to urinary tract issues, but that is not the case with every animal and cats should be treated as individuals. When a proper diet and supplementation regimen is given, most cats and dogs will be able to go fully vegan without any health issues. But, as the concept of vegan companion animals is still quite new (only a bit over 20 years since the first nutritionally complete foods became available), many people still look at it as a dangerous attempt at feeding, mostly due to lack of knowledge, or trusting their information from a source who does not have all the facts. Remember, there are still plenty of "experts" who to this day insist that a vegan diet for humans is somehow dangerous and unhealthy; you can only expect that many people who consider themselves qualified to give advice on diets for cats and dogs will insist a vegan diet is terrible for animals as well. We keep our fingers crossed that in due time, it will become accepted fact that a vegan diet can be very healthy for many animals, but as of now, there's still plenty of misinformation running rampant that is put out as fact."
http://www.vegancats.com/veganfaq.php
>>
>>8823918
http://www.amipetfood.com/en
"Ami Cat is formulated to keep your cat in the best of health, improving their shape, hair, and muscular tone. Ami Cat is a complete and balanced food, enriched with Taurine, a vitally important nutrient for cats that must be included in their diet.

This essential protein with amino-acidic chain can now be reproduced without using meat, where it is normally present in the muscular tissue. The absence of Taurine in cats' diets can lead to serious diseases and/or death. Its presence in Ami Cat, together with the natural and healthy ingredients that characterize the product, keeps your cats in good health and fine shape. In addition to Taurine, Ami food contains other essential nutrients that cats require including preformed Vitamin A and Arachidonic Acid as well as B Vitamins and other Amino Acids.

Ami Cat also contains the right amount of magnesium to prevent the serious problems that can occur from its lack (hyper-excitability, soft tissue calcification, metaphysos swelling) or its surplus (uralthiasis and cystitis)."
>>
>>8810932
>>8810882
Is cashew cheese fermented like yogurt or pickles, or do you just blend and salt it?
>>
>>8824250
One of the oldest dogs who ever lived was fed a vegan diet, Bramble the collie.

And they've been making vegan dog food for a long time for dogs with allergies to meat, and there are no shortage of healthy, happy dogs living on this dog food. You're an idiot. Most kibble is primarily soy, corn, and euthanized dogs. Vegan dog food is an improvement by comparison.
>>
>>8812899
Please consider doing a cook along or vertical with some seitan! I make it sometimes but it always turns out rubbery.
>>
>>8824289
Can be either, but what I'm more interested in is the fermented kind.
>>
>>8824295
>euthanized dog
Kek, they do this stuff for humans too? Never heard of it.
>>
This thread is fucking full of broscience, dumbassery, and outright falsehoods. This thread is bad, and you should all feel bad.
>>
>>8813937
They made it again. The smell came underneath my door and stunk up my room. I now have the window open and the fan open but it's not enough and if I go down there and open the windows it will be rude, will it not? BUT HOLY FUCK I CAN'T FUCKING BREATHE.

Fucking disgusting. I wish meat eaters and vegetarians realized how badly their food stunk. I'd rather clean up a hundred dog's diarrhea than smell this. It's fucking horrid.

I think I'm just going to go down there and open the windows, regardless of if it's rude. He's gotta get the point, I can't take this anymore.
>>
>>8824952
fan on*
>>
>>8824952
I hope the world succumbs to some evil Orwellian shit and weak, pathetic wastes of human DNA like yourselves are purged.

8/10 it's quite convincing and you're getting me angry.
>>
>>8825045
How cute, a defensive meat eater butthurt because vegans don't think their food smells good is calling ME weak.
>>
>>8825065
>Cries like a little bitch about a smell
>gets assblasted when someone replies to him
>can't even directly insult somebody
>>
>>8825084
Imagine smelling boiling jizz and your dog's roasted flesh every day.

Pretty sure if you weren't the one boiling the jizz and roasting the dog, you'd be complaining too.
>>
File: vegan deep dish.jpg (71 KB, 650x433)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
I want to make this. https://theveganword.com/chicago-style-deep-dish-pizza-with-homemade-beer-batter-crust-spinach-and-cashew-ricotta/
>>
>>8825065
>defensive meat eater butthurt because vegans don't think their food smells good
>their food

It's not our food. It's vegetarian food.
>>
>>8824295
>euthanized dogs are in standard dogfood

Now, that's going too far. The slight amount of credibility you might have had in some naive youngster's eyes has evaporated.

Think about it. If you hadn't thrown that absurd morsel into the mix, little Timmy might have been converted. Now even he knows you have no clothes.
>>
>>8825841
http://www.petmd.com/blogs/fullyvetted/2010/oct/rendered_barbiturates-10474

"And here, included in a 2004 report to Congress on the rendering industry, is how it happens at the level of the independent rendering plant:

These plants (estimated by NRA at 165 in the United States and Canada) usually collect material from other sites using specially designed trucks. They pick up and process fat and bone trimmings, inedible meat scraps, blood, feathers, and dead animals from meat and poultry slaughterhouses and processors (usually smaller ones without their own rendering operations), farms, ranches, feedlots, animal shelters, restaurants, butchers, and markets."

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/jan/06/news/mn-20784

Sorry, you got me. It's something I read about back in high school when I wasn't as skeptical. It seems like it's more speculation, given that euthanasia drugs are found in dog food and it's not illegal to use pets in pet food, and they do pick up from animal shelters. I mean if you connect the dots...

Too tired to look into it further though.
>>
https://thegentlechef.com/chefs-premium-vegan-bacun/
>>
>>8825841
I thought that and when i looked into it does look like it's true.
>>
>>8825111
Well he ain't a vegan let alone a vegetarian if he's eating dog.

>Jizz

Where does he get all that cooking semen from?
I'm guessing he sneaks into your room after you've collapsed from a brutal sub session and felches a generous serving out your ass with a straw.
>>
>>8825759
That sounds awesome. One of these days when I've got the time.
>>
>>8825870
>you got me

Yeah, now that I look at it, I was a bit harsh in my comments and it's certainly worth investigating if it's really happening.

I've often wondered what kind of precautions animal shelters adopt to ensure asian immigrants aren't adopting dogs for food. I mean they can't refuse to let them adopt and they probably don't cross reference records about the adoption history of a family. Even if they did, there's a helluva lot of people with the last name "Kim."
>>
>>8825759
I made a deep dish black eyed pea pizza and it was amazing. There's also a recipe in Cloe chef cookbook for sweet potato pizza that is like crack. I don't remember the book or the recipe title because its at my parent's house.
>>
>>8824304

I've considered it, trouble is that I'm terrible at measuring things and just sort of eyeball everything and guestimate about what works and what doesn't. Unless I'm following a recipe, in which case that would be copyright violation?
>>
>>8824304
> always turns out rubbery

This is usually caused by one of two things:

1. Not adding a 'loosening" ingredient. Most seitan recipes use at least a fair amount of nutritional yeast, though I have better luck blending tofu or pureeing beans or potato into a water-based slurry and using that instead of plain water. Basically, something to break up the gluten a little but still keep a bit of a bite is ideal.

2. Boiling instead of simmering. Most seitan recipes call for cooking in water at some point - the trick is to just gently simmer it, barely above poaching. If it boils too much, it turns into rubber. I also like to wrap it in cheesecloth first so that it doesn't absorb too much water and becomes a little denser.

The best seitan I've made typically involved at least a two step cooking process: baking and then simmering (method that works quite well, got it out of Seitan and Beyond); steaming and then baking; pressure cooking and then baking; etc. After you've done these different ways, you can kind of figure out what it needs.

If your seitan turns out too tough/rubbery, try braising it. Hell, sometimes just frying it up in some oil will make it much better on it's own.
>>
Am I the only vegan in the world who doesn't eat meat/dairy substitutes? I just never liked the taste of them. There's better alternatives out there and usually the "alternatives" that aren't pretending to be meat are better (like bean-based burger patties).
>>
>>8826816

I actually made seitan when I was still eating meat (albeit with beef broth and fried in bacon grease). I always enjoyed different types of meat, and I saw just plant-based as another option, no stranger than eating stir-fried chicken hears or popcorn gizzards or liver mousse or other sweetbreads.

To me, at least, meat/dairy substitutes are delicious and I actually crave them specifically.
>>
>>8826414
Chloe's Kitchen? Or Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen?

I've got to go to my mom's house and pick up my copy of Chloe's Kitchen so I can start making her recipes again. Her food is amazing.
>>
>>8826816
I think it's because you haven't tried many of them that you think this way.
>>
>>8827610
I'm not the person you're replying to, but:

I'm vegan. I've tried many many different "meat substitutes" and while I do think that some of them taste good, it bothers me that most of them are:
1) expensive as fuck
2) loaded with preservatives, texturing agents, and all kinds of artificial stuff. Hell, a lot of them are even worse for you than the meat product they are meant to replace.
3) limited availability

Why would I want a meat-substitute hamburger patty that has a list of two dozen ingredients when I could just use a portabello mushroom cap?
>>
>>8827652
>loaded with preservatives, texturing agents, and all kinds of artificial stuff. Hell, a lot of them are even worse for you than the meat product they are meant to replace.

Sorry but this is just really ignorant. Not trying to insult you, just saying I've never seen a vegan meat alternative that had anything anywhere near as unhealthy as animal products. That's just a silly statement.

Not all meat alternatives are expensive. But it does depend on where you go. WinCo has some cheap ones that are delicious. A lot aren't anymore expensive than meat, but yeah it is unfortunate that a lot of them are expensive. That's why I usually get them on sale or use coupons.

Also a portabello mushroom cap IMO tastes like shit. Maybe I've never had it prepared properly but anyway if you like it that's great, mushrooms are great. Wish I could get into them myself but I'm more into traditional American cuisine.
>>
File: morningstar002.jpg (390 KB, 1200x1600)
390 KB
390 KB JPG
>>8828056
>Not trying to insult you, just saying I've never seen a vegan meat alternative that had anything anywhere near as unhealthy as animal products.

Google some ingredient lists. I'm not saying that all of them are bad but a lot of them certainly are.

>>Not all meat alternatives are expensive
That's certainly true, but the majority of them are. I'd much rather just buy the ingredients and make my own. It's cheaper and you have the benefit of knowing exactly what went into it.

>>mushroom caps
I treat them exactly like a meat patty. cut the stem off flush with the cap. season with salt and pepper on both sides. drizzle a little oil on it. Then grill it (or cook on a pan) just like you would a normal meat patty.
>>
>>8828082
That's not even a vegan product but I guess there are vegan products with similar ingredients, just saying it's kind of a bad example. I don't see anything that I can identify as being as unhealthy as animal products there aside from the actual animal products obviously. Which things are unhealthy (besides the small amount of sugar and oil) and do you have studies that prove it?
>>
>>8828268
>do you have studies that prove it?
This sort of thing makes me laugh.

Vegans are almost always above average but not genius level intelligence. They're smart enough to value scientific studies, but not smart enough to realise that not everything you read in a study is true.
>>
>>8828474
And apparently you're not smart enough to realize they do realize that. But if there's enough evidence of something, and the study has been repeated, it's pretty much proven.
>>
>>8828682
It always makes me laugh when vegans throw a list of studies at me as proof that veganism is healthy.

Here's a study for you.
Is every vegan a faggot?
Sample: every vegan I've ever met
Result: yes
p = 1
>>
>>8828682
>>8828923
Oh, let's repeat this study. Ask any non-vegan to repeat it and you'll get the same result.

Since according to you repeatable studies are true, we therefore have conclusive proof that vegans are faggots.
>>
>>8817818

Avoiding gluten hurts the pancakes more than avoiding milk and eggs.
>>
>>8820807

Kite Hill?
>>
File: 1472817157208.jpg (20 KB, 306x306)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
I have less respect for junk food vegans than people who have whole food, plant based diets but occasionally eat animal products.
>>
>>8829019
Used Kite Hill plain yogurt in my tofu saag today. It was good. It had a slight tang when I tried a little before adding it.

>>8829456
>No one's ever going to care if you respect them or not.
>>
>>8829935
>I'm a newfag who doesn't understand greentext
>>
>>8829966
>what is greentext
>>
>>8828082
Ugh now I'm craving portabello mushroom burgers.
>>
File: VChili.jpg (260 KB, 1600x1067)
260 KB
260 KB JPG
Here's my Vegan Chili recipe:

1) Make your normal chili recipe.
2) Call it Vegan.
3) Lie about the ingredients if asked.
>>
>>8831267
> tfw I've been vegan for so many years that even accidentally eating a little bit of meat or especially dairy gives me uncontrollable shits within the hour

Reminds me of years ago when I was hardcore Atkins and I caved and ate some sushi rice and immediately shat out a bunch of undigested rice when I got home
>>
>>8831401
Had an opposite problem
>14 y/o
>doctor tested blood and found I was gluten, dairy, and soy intolerant
>mother made me stop eating bread, milk, soybeans, etc.
>"you will feel much better"
>my digestive system was in constant pain and produced noxious gas for a week until I forced my parents to let me have my normal diet again
>this makes no sense
>>
>tfw been vegan for five years now
>tfw 10-year anniversary with vegetarianism is also coming up in October

We've been together for so long, we're thinking about marriage and adopting a field of soybeans now.
>>
Fuck you fucking bandwagon hipsters with your shitty imitation cheese and fake meats
literally disgusting, eat the vegetables like god intended them to be eaten

My family has been strict vegan for thousands of years and at least in south india we never needed any of this faux bullshit

Yall are giving vegans a bad name
>>
>>8831950
>Fuck you fucking bandwagon hipsters with your shitty imitation cheese and fake meats
>literally disgusting, eat the vegetables like god intended them to be eaten

I think they taste good and enjoy eating them.
>>
Bump
>>
>>8810847
You sound kinda gay
>>
>>8821689
You'll have to change your palate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NelIXCuuSZ0
>>
>Vegans put work on fantasizing their food to look like real animal meat

you see that's the real fucking problem with you people
>>
>>8833600
>Vegans
Just OP really. He keeps making the same junk food vegan threads.
>>
>>8833600
>shitposting their containment thread

just gtfo better have them in one place instead of shitting up every other thread retard, no body gives a shit of what you think anyway
>>
>>8833856
>instead of shitting up every other thread
You mean the fast food threads that's currently taking up more than 90% of the catalog?
>>
Bump
>>
File: 0609161916c.jpg (869 KB, 2240x1344)
869 KB
869 KB JPG
How many of you are either women or gay men? I've never met a single heterosexual man who's been vegan longer than the span of his relationship with a vegan chick. Not. A. One. As soon as they break up, he's back to his pre-vegan diet (be it either omnivorous or vegetarian).

Related to the thread: pic related is delicious and vegan. It's paella de verduras. Has olive oil, peppers, artichokes, olives, fresh favas, rice, veg stock and saffron (though I use turmeric because I hate the taste of saffro; it tastes like chewing on foil to me).
>>
I would have to say that my favorite recipe is from last winter: Enter, pumpkin sage ravioli! The nutritional yeast is what puts these over the top. I actually ended up buying a pasta roller just so I could up production and keep a healthy stock in the freezer for those "I don't wanna cook!" nights.
>>
>>8835243

Bisexual man here

Yeah, I get ribbed by family for being vegan and it being 'unmasculine' or whatever. But then again, they're all fatasses with diabetes and I bet my dick works better than theirs so I figure it all evens out in the end.
>>
>>8831267
As if anyone would trust your sweaty neckbeard food anyway. Your kitchen probably smells like feces and is covered in moldy spilled food.
>>
>>8833292
Well, I'm female.

>>8821689
I feed children vegan food all the time and it's their favorite.

Try cashew cheese, Follow Your Heart vegan mozzarella for pizza and lasagna (put them under the broiler to make brown bubbles, but be sure to wrap the crust of the pizza in foil if you do this), their parmesan is incredible too, and then there's Daiya which my sister's kids say makes a great grilled cheese, using Earth Balance for toasting the bread. Anything Gardein that isn't spicy is great for kids (meatless meatballs have fennel which some kids might think is spicy if they bite into it, and I think it was the beefless szechuan that some other kids thought was a little spicy but if I remember correctly they still ate it, might have just taken off the sauce for them, I forget. Boca vegan (some aren't vegan) patties are also great for kids, especially the chik'n ones. They also make chik'n nuggets that are great and everyone loves. Boca crumbles for spaghetti.

Mac 'n' cheese you can use Daiya with unsweetened unflavored soy milk, Earth Balance, and personally I like to add a little extra salt and pepper - or a cashew sauce. As a kid I liked mac 'n' cheese with broccoli or peas, that way you get a little veggies in.
>>
>>8835243
That's sexist.
I actually am pretty sure I have more single heterosexual vegan men on my Facebook than I do vegan women. I'm in some vegan Facebook groups and there's no shortage of beautiful vegan men. Mmm. And they're vegan activists, and again, they're beautiful, so they have no need to pretend to be vegan just for women.

I'm female though, and yes there are a lot of beta creeps who will pretend to be vegan and even eat vegan food just to date you. Never had sex with any of them though because they couldn't hide it effectively. Their shitty personality pervaded through everything and made it obvious they didn't actually have the principles consistent with being vegan. One of them was able to break my heart though because they lied so thoroughly to me about who they were. They weren't even attractive so it was wrong on so many levels. They fooled me enough to think they were beautiful on the inside and I could get over the fact that my children might be hideous with a low IQ...but then I started realizing they were just a dumb Machiavelli.

Anyway, point is, pretending to be vegan for women is evil and pathetic and there's a high chance you'll be found out and they get their revenge.
>>
>>8835243
I'm an omni grill. I come to these threads for ideas I can use with my vegan bf. Ideas like that one - an artichoke rice dish would be stellar, so I'll try it. (I'm using saffron, though, you weirdo.)
>>
I need to make this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91ZGZI0ylwE
>>
Has anyone ever tried making a vegan mirror cake? I want to make a vegan galaxy mirror cake
>>
>>8837172
Can use agar agar instead of gelatin.
>>
>>8814873
>superior to animal meat

I accept that you eat shit but don't go on that the turds you're shoveling in are a delicacy.
>>
Why don't you people eat real vegetables, legumes, and stuff like that, instead of eating weird carnetarian-inspired meatstuffs? Can't you just use beans, lentils, chickpeas, or soybeans instead of using protein bread (which is what I call seitan)? As a matter of fact, do any of you even make your own seitan?
Why do you bother yourselves with making fake butters and cheeses instead of just forgetting about that kind of stuff? If you want the fermented flavours of cheese and yogurt, why don't you use miso paste, Marmite, or something like that?
Do you not feel like you're creative enough, or are you just lazy?
>>
File: mscott.jpg (63 KB, 871x485)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
VEGAN GAME DAY WINGS THAT I CONCOCTED WHEN I WAS MAKING TOFU PARMESAN ONE NIGHT

cut a block of extra firm tofu into small rectangles.

drain water out.

dip strips in flour, egg, then breadcrumbs with garlic, paprika, ceyenne, salt pepper, etc.

fry in a frying pan with some olive oil

take out, brush with franks red hot mixed with some vegan butter (or not, just reg hot sauce works.)

throw in the oven at 400 for 20 minutes

take out, turn over, brush again

serve with vegan bleu cheese and some celery sticks, my man
>>
>>8839323
Are you quite sure you know what vegan means, Anon?
>>
>>8838629
>do any of you even make your own seitan?

Absolutely. You get more control over texture and flavor that way.

>If you want the fermented flavours of cheese and yogurt, why don't you use miso paste, Marmite, or something like that?

Miso, marmite and something like that are, in fact, some of the ways to add fermented cheese flavors to vegan food.
>>
File: fuss_rode_ah.jpg (75 KB, 800x331)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>Vegan cucks, Reeeeee
>>
>>8839323
>egg
Lol
>>
>>8839382
i figured he meant this
>>
File: IMG_0900.jpg (2.34 MB, 4032x3024)
2.34 MB
2.34 MB JPG
I just found out that dandelions are edible

Same thing for cat tails, common reeds, ramps and other readily available wild plants

This is pretty awesome, especially it makes hiking/camping and bike touring so much better knowing that I can always have a consistent supply of vegan food out there especially for free

I tried out some greens and beans with dandelion leaves and it came out pretty damn good

I only picked enough to just test it out so it's a little light on the greens

Also Italian greens and beans is so awesome it's so fast and easy and still so good
>>
>>8839634
What is that?
>>
>>8839739
eggs from vegan chickens
>>
>>8839745
Nah, but really, what are they made of? Are there fake shells too?
>>
File: 20170208_141900.jpg (1.53 MB, 2560x1440)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB JPG
>>8839710
Dandelion leaves get bitter as they mature but that can be reduced by soaking in several changes of water. Also the roots can be roasted and ground then used as a coffee substitute similar to chicory.

Another nice wild green is lambsquarter.

I found these jerusalem artichoke roots earlier this year and they were excellent sliced and roasted like potatoes.
>>
>>8838629
>Why don't you stop enjoying foods that taste good and have none of the harm or gross things that are in the alternative?!
>I'm trying so fucking hard to criticize vegans that I'm actually resorting to criticizing them for liking flavored vegetable proteins formed in a similar shape that omnivores shape their food.

Ughhhh. Why is this always a conversation? Fuck me.

You realize that omnivores created butter and shaped meats for a reason completely irrelevant to the food itself? You don't own the rights to anything sliced and put in a sandwich. Or rolled up in a ball and used in pasta. Vegans can do that too (and make it taste better) and it doesn't mean we're imitating. We're improving. Get it right.
>>
>>8838629
> you people eat real vegetables, legumes, and stuff

I do, most of the time

>instead of eating weird carnetarian-inspired meatstuffs

I love meat, I just don't eat it for ethical reasons (I don't even care much about animals really, but I find the argument compelling and so I don't eat meat - I wouldn't be very emotionally bothered about being a hitman, either, except that in the abstract I think it's illogical and unethical). If I could Star Trek "replicate" myself a steak, I'd do it. But, I'm not that picky, faux-meat ticks most of the right boxes for me, it tastes good enough, and I kind of like eating weird things (prior to going vegan I was the sort that enjoyed things like living frog sashimi, insects, etc).

>As a matter of fact, do any of you even make your own seitan?

Yeah, all the time. I've gotten pretty good at it. In fact, I made seitan *prior* to being vegan, except I'd simmer it in beef broth and fry it in lard.

>Why do you bother yourselves with making fake butters and cheeses instead of just forgetting about that kind of stuff?

Because the butter and cheese I make taste good and are good on things like bread and pizza.

>If you want the fermented flavours of cheese and yogurt, why don't you use miso paste,

I use miso paste (and lactic acid) in my butter and cheese recipes for that very reason.
>>
>>8839752

It's a powder that you whisk with ice-cold water. You can cook it like regular eggs (I add a pinch of kala namak to up the sulfer), it just takes a few minutes longer than chicken eggs. I mostly use it for fried rice or as an ingredient in quiche, though.
>>
>>8839752

"“Algal” simply means an ingredient is derived from algae. Whole algal flour and algal protein are plant-based ingredients, produced from native microalgae originally found in the Netherlands. This algal flour and protein naturally contain high levels of healthy lipids, carbohydrates, and micronutrients. These nutrient-dense microalgae also contain all essential amino acids and are a great source of dietary fiber."

from their webpage. assumedly it's some sort of algae jelly.
>>
>>8839869

If you figure out how to cook it right (it takes WAY longer than you think - like it will look done, but nah, it's only 1/3 done) and season it appropriately (I think a bit of kala namak does wonders), it is one of the few vegan foods that becomes so realistic as to both fool omnivores and frighten vegans.

Like I said earlier though, I mostly use it in fried rice.
>>
>>8839876
I prefer scrambled tofu to Vegan Egg, but it is kind of cool how closely it resembles egg in texture and appearance and all that. I used it in a breakfast burrito (added salt and pepper then hot sauce on top) and it was pretty good. I never liked eggs though, so of course I prefer scrambled tofu. I've mostly been using Vegan Egg in baking brownies, just because it's easier clean than blending black beans with water in a blender and having an extra dish to clean.
>>
To those of you who've tried it, d'ya think this VeganEgg shit can be used to make custards/in replacement of eggs in egg-thickened sauces? Like... to make a carbonara-alike or something there similar?
>>
is lab-produced meat vegan
>>
>>8841070

No, it tames much too long to cook. If you use it in much besides a quiche, it tends to be a little raw in its final form. And it's pretty weird when it's raw (gritty).
>>
>>8839752
>Are there fake shells too?

No. It's just a bag in an egg carton. A huge disappointment.
>>
Bump
>>
>>8810954
> all 'true' parm isn't vegan

There are brands of "parm"-style toppings, though. Often it contains a mix of ground almonds, nutritional yeast, and seasoning. Some more intrepid souls might create cashew cheese and attempt to age it to parmesan-like extents, but that's pretty rare.
>>
>>8843606
Follow Your Heart vegan parmesan is amazing too. Not sure what it's made out of though, but pretty sure it's oil based since it's melty.
>>
meat is tasty
>>
I know you can make fancy vegan meals and all but sometimes you gotta indulge in a pile of carbs

>Cook whole wheat pasta al dente
>Make your favorite pasta sauce (mine is tomato paste, a dash of water, salt, pepper & paprika)
>Lightly boil potatoes and cut/mash them up
>Buy a nice hearty loaf of bread
>Stuff it with the potatoes and pasta
>Serve with the pasta sauce and other condiments
>>
>>8838629
This. Junk food vegans are cancer.
>>
>>8841074
They're still created from exploitation of animals so probably not.
>>
>>8810847
test
>>
File: crybaby.jpg (10 KB, 270x240)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>8845874
>They eat a certain kind of food

Wow. The nerve.
>>
Any of you faggots got some soup recipes? Looking to lose weight this summer and want some easy to make soup to fill in a meal each day.
>>
>>8845916
I always just buy canned soup personally.

I've got a good vegan lasagna soup recipe but I don't know if I'd consider it low calorie.

Split pea soup is pretty basic. Veggie bouillon, pepper, salt, garlic powder, maybe soy sauce.

IDK if I made a soup I'd probably just use veggie stock, some sort of pasta, beans, rice, and veggies, different seasonings, maybe tomato paste. I haven't gotten creative with soup, sorry.
>>
>>8845909
James K from my 600lbs life also eat a certain kind of food, your point?
>>
File: fried_seitan.png (1.87 MB, 1017x811)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB PNG
Just made a very simple (experimental) seitan, pic is kinda shitty but related. Texture came out very similar to Gardein chicken.

(not jizz on it, it's Just Mayo)
>>
File: seitan_loaf.jpg (245 KB, 802x1425)
245 KB
245 KB JPG
>>8846030

The seitan loaf after chilling a bit
>>
File: THE-LOVE-STAR-PICTURE.jpg (5 KB, 120x175)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>8810847
>>
Newbie vegan here.

What can I use for cheese? I'm a big fan of black bean burgers.




Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.