[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Any of you negros use one of these? I want one primarily because I am lazy and I want to have delicious pork butt on deck on the Reggie, yo. Also I feel like in the long run it could save me money bc it can can and cook dry beans fast as shit.

Any opinions on these? Good buy? Tips, tricks, cheats, walkthroughs? Let’s talk about food here fellas, this is a way to make food
>>
File: instantpot.jpg (39 KB, 600x400)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>9542778
I bought a 6 quart instant pot a week or two ago when amazon did their deal of the day on it. so far i've cooked barley soup in 15 minutes, made excellent rice, and used the delay start feature to pressure cook the creamiest steel cut oatmeal that is hot and ready next to my programmable mr. coffee bright and early at 6 in the morning without me having to do anything.

the thing to realize about these is that they are like pressure cookers in that they take about 10 to 15 minutes to come up to temp and pressurize, and if they are allowed to pressure release naturally through cooling down, will take another 20 to 30 minutes to do that - though you can almost always release the pressure manually in a couple minutes. I love the delay start feature though. That's fantastic.

Electric pressure cookers are better than stove top units though. I have an excellent tfal 7 quart stove top pressure cooker. That thing scorches the bottom of everything. (You can't stir a pressurce cooker because the top doesn't come off while its cooking) So far the instant pot hasn't scorched anything i've put in and i believe it is because of two reasons. The first is that the bottom of the pot insert on the instant pot is super thiccc. The second is that i believe the instant pots electric heater is calibrated to heat at temperatures that will eventually boil and pressurize the cooker, but will not burn the food that is in the pot. I am sure there are exceptions to this, like if you just dumped in a bunch of sugar...

Anways.. if you are thinking about getting a pressure cooker, get an electric one and look into the instant pot. and get one with a delay because thats a nice feature imo. an instant pot replaces a pressure cooker, rice cooker, steamer, and slow cooker, and also has settings for keep warm and sautee which means you can do a lot of one pot meals in it because you can brown ingredients before committing them to slow cooking or pressure cooking.
>>
>>9542867
I agree with the Instant Pot recommendation. I have one too and I love it
>>
>>9542867
>>9542874
Thank you gentlemen, I think my heart is certainly set on it now. Any tips on cooking big ass meat like pork shoulders and butts? (I'm southern and love bbq and pulled pork)
>>
>>9542867
also: if you had to choose between getting the larger 8 qt one or getting the 6 qt with blue tooth which would you get? I am worried the 6 qt wouldn't be big enough for some meats or for canning. Bluetooth seems cool but idk how important it is.
>>
I have, and frequently use, an electric pressure cooker. One of the best purchases I ever made. Soups, stews, stocks, curries, congee and porridges (oatmeal) are easy to set up.

>>9542969
Larger is better, bluetooth is a gimmick.

>>9542956
Cut the meat into fist-sized chunks and sear it well on every side in a frying pan before placing in cooker. Add chosen BBQ sauce, 1 cup per pound. Add an extra cup of water or stock. Cook on lower setting for 45 minutes.
>>
>>9543421
Above the gentleman said the sauce function on the cooker could be used to brown meats. Do you recommend against this and rather use the frying pan?
>>
>>9543437
No, use the saute mode of the electric pot.
>>
Pressure cookers are seriously underated, my favorite thing to make with them is risotto. I was skeptical at first, but have yet to replicate the results on the stove top, and it's just as good if not better than any higher end Italian restaurant. I use Kenji's recipe on serious eats.
>>
>>9543437
I'm the guy you were replying to. You get better control and results from browning off in a proper pan.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.