[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 505a3e31194b6.image.jpg (22 KB, 600x478)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
Redpill me on green tomatoes, /ck/

I lost a bet with my roomate and their wager was to have me make fried green tomato sandwiches. I don't know the first thing about green tomatoes. Where do you get them? Are they just unripe red tomatoes or are they their own variety? Do you need to prepare them before cooking? Best fried greem tomato recipe? I really want to knock his socks off.
>>
Go to YouTube and look for food wishes fried green tomatoes. I think Southerners will sometimes mix this with pimento cheese on sandwiches.
>>
http://allrecipes com/recipe/16760/best-fried-green-tomatoes/
>>
>>9971181
Breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, drip some lemon juice on them after frying. Oh yeah, cayenne, too.
>>
don't forget the pimento cheese
>>
>>9971181
You can find them at most grocery stores, usually called tomatillos. They're entirely different from standard red tomatoes. They are covered in a dry skin that you have to peel off like an onion.

You can eat them raw, there isn't really any special prep work you have to do. As for frying them, it's like any other battered and fried food. Bread crumbs, flour, eggs, seasoning, etc.
>>
>>9971380
wrong, Wrong, WRONG. Tomatillos are a different, smaller varieties used in Mexican food. Southern fried green tomatoes are unripe tomatoes, coated with cornmeal, salt, and pepper and deep-fried.
>>
its pretty sour, use it as an acidic ingredient not as a normal red tomato
>>
>>9971726
Aren't ripe tomatoes acidic tho? So wouldn't you treat them both as acids but accommodate for the taste?
>>
>>9971809
i mean they are but the green ones are way more sour/acidic
id prob make relish w/ them
>>
>>9971380
kek, yeah OP fry some tomatillos.
>>
>>9971829
I've only ever made relish with green tomatoes but oh my god was it amazing. So much better than any store bought relish.
>>
Fried green tomatoes are a very simple whitetrash southern staple. Slice @ 1/4" thick, salt, pepper and dredge in corn meal. Heat 1/8" oil in cast iron skillet to @ 350F and fry until bottom golden, then flip and do the same for top. Cornmeal is critically important - no yankee breadcrumbs, flour, panko or other pretentious shit.
>>
>>9971715
fucking whistleblower... what happened to this site? Fag
>>
>>9971181
At a supermarket idiot
>>
>>9973330
Back to /b/ with you. Go suck off your board culture there.
>>
>>9973940
Fuck off. OP could have spent 2 minutes on google for the answers to all his questions but instead he's autistic enough to ask here. I wouldn't have been surprised if he blindly followed my advice. But then you had to come along and fuck it all up. Why don't you just go back to sucking your mom's cock or jerking off your dog, faggot?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.