[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: burntpan.jpg (141 KB, 454x321)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>buy stainless steel skillet
>decide to make grilled cheese to test it out
>burn it (similar to pic)

wtf /ck/? I've only used nonstick and cast iron pans before.
>>
You have to season it first.
>>
>>9977176
I thought that was only to prevent sticking.
>>
>>9977176
>season stainless steel
U wot m8?
>>
>>9977169
Any tips on how to make this not happen again? I can clean the burned shit but I'd rather not burn it again.
>>
>>9977247
use more lubricants like butter and oil?
>>
That's called fond you retard

you can avoid it by never having your heat high enough and being an all around shit cook
>>
>>9977247
gotta cook it at a much lower heat, the stainless transmits heat pretty quickly but doesn't have the nonstick like you're used to. If you're used to dialing up your stove to a 9/10, dial it back down to like 4-6 instead and make sure to have things like oil or butter on hand before grilling the cheese again.
>>
>>9977264
>>9977277
thanks m8s. I'll clean it and cook at a lower temp next time
>>
>>9977247
1. Heat your pan, usually over medium, medium high heat
2. when your pan is heated, add your oil/butter/whatever
3. give your oil or whatever a good 30 seconds or so to come up to temp, it should shimmer slightly
4. put whatever you wanted to cook in your pan

If it looks like the OP pic, your heat was probably too high, since that looks like it isn't fond, but rather oil that has become like lacquer.
>>
File: burntpan2.jpg (290 KB, 1920x1080)
290 KB
290 KB JPG
>>9977294
It looks more like this pic actually. I turned the heat on and sprayed the pan with nonstick spray while I buttered the bread. Maybe the spray is what actually burned?
>>
>>9977310
>Maybe the spray is what actually burned?
Could be. I stay away from the stuff myself, so I'm not sure if it burns in pans. Been using oil and butter since I got my stainless steel pans and they don't look like that at all, even with months of use.
>>
>>9977176
You don't season stainless steel.

>>9977294
This is excellent advice, OP.

Also, it's easier to clean while the pan is still warm using a wooden spoon and some liquid (water, wine, vinegar).
>>
>>9977331
Yeah I probably didn't need to use it in the first place since I was using butter anyways.

>>9977332
I heard vinegar + baking soda.
>>
>>9977340
Be careful using acid like vinegar on a super hot pan because it can stain the pan. Try water first and be mindful of the steam. You don't need much.
>>
>>9977310
Aerosol/propellant will burn/stick, don't use that shit.
>>
>using baking spray for frying
Do Armenians really..
>>
>>9977340
>I heard vinegar + baking soda.
I have heard that as well, but usually for stubborn stains or stuck on junk. For regular day-to-day cleaning, I just use hot water, dish soap, a blue (not the green one, that will scratch the shit out of your pans) scotch-brite pad and a stiff bristled plastic scrubber, and it seems to work well enough.

Also if you are going to clean the pan while it is still warm, make sure it has cooled off a fair bit, I don't think it is good to add cold (compared to the temp of the pan) water to your metal cook ware. But I may just be babying my pans.
>>
>>9977247
Turn your fucking fire down.
>>
>>9977340
If soap and water don't get it out then it's just oil that's been burned on the pan similar to cast irons but not as built up. To get it out wood Ash mixed with some water will work but be gentle with it.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.