[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: extreme-ghostbusters.jpg (99 KB, 825x464)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
Ok, so I know episode to episode continuous narrative wasn't really a priority in 90's cartoons, but there were a few things that kinda stuck with me...
They all meet in the pilot at Egon's class at a community college.
What was everyone studying?
Did they continue their studies or was Ghostbusting profitable enough they didn't bother to further their education?
Did they LIVE at the Firehouse? In several episodes they still seem to have their own places, but you see beds at the firehouse and there are several references to ghosts "Knowing where they live." As well as they seem to be there 24/7 when not actively ghostbusting.

I know I'm probably giving it too much though, but it was a fun cartoon.
>>
I'd guess it was a thowaway course just to say they were doing somthing.
And I suppose that that at least some of them stayed at the firehouse as the previous ghostbusters did that.

I guess the writers never made it a huge priority on what exactly they were doing.
>>
>What was everyone studying?
Can't recall but I'm pretty sure one or two of them bring up their courses at some point. Wasn't Kylie studying paranormal shit to begin with?

>Did they continue their studies or was Ghostbusting profitable enough they didn't bother to further their education?
I got the impression they continued. There's an ep where Eduardo has an exam to prepare for IIRC

>Did they LIVE at the Firehouse?
They all had their own apartments (shown at various points in the show) but I'd imagine they spent a few nights in the firehouse just to be on call

Great show, shame it ended where it did as it felt the writers were getting a lot more confident towards the end
>>
>>101630285
Well you see several times that they have their own homes. Like when Kylie goes home to feed Pegan, her cat. And at least once Edwardo complains about a grade he got. In the salesman episode you see both.
>>
Oh man, this show is so 90s. Kylie doesn't like the internet because it watches you, which now we know is true but in the show it's just a crackpot theory, a website is new and a big deal. The very fact that you CAN exist day to day without the internet is telling.
>>
I kinda wish there was more kept between episodes. Like when Edwardo had to transcribe all those books for the demon, it would have been cool if he referenced that in more then just that episode.
>>
>>101630285

>What was everyone studying?
The Mexican was Looking for an easy A, the Goth Chick is pretty self explanatory, Black dude I think was genuinely wanted to story the scientific parts like the technology and such, I can't remember what Hot-wheels was there for.

>Did they continue their studies or was Ghostbusting profitable enough they didn't bother to further their education?

They still went to school, Black guy looked like the potential successor to Egon. Which is way it baffles me that this was not picked up and made as a movie instead of the all females Ghostbusters one.

>Did they LIVE at the Firehouse?

They have their own homes,
>>
>>101632091
>it baffles me that this was not picked up and made as a movie instead of the all females Ghostbusters one.
I think there was legal issues involved that kept them from seeing anything more than cameos. If I recall, the IDW comic was only able to get permission to use one of the Next-Gen GB as a regular cast member, and they went with Kylie.
>>
>>101632091
That was just the first episode. I meant what were getting degrees in.
>>
>>101632269

hmmmm... I can't remember exactly. I might have to rewatch it, also I know the Black guy was in to what Egon was in to. So he it's possible he wanted the same dagrees.
>>
I know they really went out of their way to keep people from dying on screen, but realistically, how many people died in this show?
Also, they never get into what causes ghosts. They treat them more like extra dimensional beings, with the few early referances to them "being dead already" being mostly ignored.
>>
>>101630285
They are still studying, there are episodes showed them doing homework together
>>
Tara Strong doing a sometimes New York accent was a pillar of my childhood.
>>
>>101633256
I wonder how many Tara Strong sound clips Zone has in their library. She's in so many shows that it seems like she's the voice of every other loop that Zone does.
>>
The first episode Egon says the first rule of 'Busting is to never go solo... Yet they split up every other episode.
Why didn't Egon tell them the rules?!
>>
File: 1437022632265.jpg (3.22 MB, 2952x4191)
3.22 MB
3.22 MB JPG
>>
>>101634782
what's with this haircut I see her in all the time?
>>
>>101634933
It's the haircut she has in the IDW comics. Which are new...ish? There the newest version of the character anyway.
>>
>>101634933
It's how she wears her hair in the IDW comic.
>>
>>101634782
Oh you can not tell me that Kylie doesn't have any Tattoos. I've known too many Goths for that.
>>
>>101635175

She was totally a grandma's girl. She wouldn't have tatoos, her grandmother wouldn't approve of it.
>>
>>101631418
This was probably the first episode I saw.
>>
>>101632091
Wheels was a Ghostbuster fanboy.
>>
>>101635962
Well not were grandma would see them.
She probably has an ankle tattoo.
>>
Oh boy an Extreme Ghostbusters thread. That was a fun show wasn't it. Sure would be cool if someone had remembered to save the link to the mega that had the non shit rips of the episodes.

oh wait

https://mega DOT nz/#F!T8dVXKwA!RsUguoi3x38ahBukf1lJgg
>>
>>101635065
>>101634994

The comics are actually pretty great. Im just really bummed out by how much they're being forced to use the 2016 Fembusters lately. I mean Burnham does what he can. In fact half the team comes off as almost endearing. I just wish we got to focus on the other teams more than them, because the sanctum of slime busters in the newest issue where actually pretty cool.
>>
>>101638120
It's also on Hulu as well. Same quality as what was on TV.
>>
>>101638160

Those are the hulu rips
>>
>>101638178
Well there you go then
>>
>>101638223

Id still like a proper DVD though
>>
>>101638618
I'd like DVDs of all the shows this studio did. Godzilla, Men in Black, and this.
>>
>>101638657

Godzilla got a DVD and I think Big Guy and Rusty as well. But Im not 100 on the latter
>>
>>101637163
Either Garrett or Roland, I forget which, was only in the class 'cause he's a car nut and thought it'd get him a chance to see the Ecto-1 up close.
>>
>>101639043
That was Roland. Garrett was in the class because he wanted to hear stories about Egon hero-ing it up.
>>
>>101638148
I wish they would just go back to street level or something ghost busting instead of every single case being an END OF THE WORLD scenario. I guess that's too much to ask when the comic doesn't have a true ongoing anymore and it's all special events.

Also hope the new story actually smacks Egon upside the head with the fact their universe isn't actually the 'original' prime one since they are still adaptations of the movie characters.
>>
>>101639075

I love Garret was just a plain straight up asshole. Like not even WOE IS ME I CANT WALK LIFE IS UNFAIR kind of bitter jerk. No he was just a loud frat boy jock jerk. It was great.
>>
>>101638657
MIB only got season 1 (skeleton set with stealth release to coincide with MIB 3 coming out)
>>
>>101639236
That one scene where they crash and he starts screaming that he can't feel his legs was hilarious.
>>
File: ready to believe.jpg (15 KB, 480x360)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>101639119

Yeah, Im a bit sick of all the crossovers. I like them, but I do hope we go back to something a bit more grounded soon, with just the four main busters, some Kylie on the side and occasionally Mel. Even if it's stuff like International where it's smaller cases that have a connecting thread. The minis have been mostly alright but I miss a core series. Though Im also kind of surprised the series is even still going. After crossover is said and done Burnham will have written 77 issues over the course of 7 years.

>Also hope the new story actually smacks Egon upside the head with the fact their universe isn't actually the 'original' prime one since they are still adaptations of the movie characters.

You know with the video game busters showing up as sprites I wouldn't be surprised if they go to the real prime dimension and it's all real life photography from the original movie. It would blow my mind but I know Burnham's crazy enough to do it.
>>
>>101639316
I like the treatment of the Real Ghostbusters. Egon and Peter are pretty spot on to how they were in the cartoon and makes me miss the series.
While I know it's probably the point of it, the way the Real characters stick out so much compared to the regular cast is kind of unnerving though. It looks like they are cut and pasted onto scenes instead of being drawn into it.
>>
>>101639401

It's defiantly intentional. Everyone keeps the art style of their proper dimension. They even talk about it the recent issue where they go to what looks like an old dot art newspaper comic.
>>
>>101630574
>the writers were getting a lot more confident towards the end
Always sad when this happens.
>>
>>101639119
>Also hope the new story actually smacks Egon upside the head with the fact their universe isn't actually the 'original' prime one since they are still adaptations of the movie characters.

IDW is a continuation of the video game, which is the unofficial third movie. IDW Egon canonically is Harold Ramis Egon. He's just drawn funny.
>>
>>101639443

Well no see that's the thing. Movie 1 is like the source point. They're all versions of the first movie. Even TRB occasionally made direct references to it and EGB is a direct continuation of that.
>>
>>101639457
Are you suggesting Ghostbusters 2 is a seperate alternate universe from Ghostbusters 1?
>>
File: RCO018_1465540260.jpg (505 KB, 1600x1230)
505 KB
505 KB JPG
>>101639465

It can be. The multiverse is a vast and mysterious place friend. Some dimensions are just more similar than others. You wouldn't even notice you where a splinter once you another you showed up.
>>
>>101639465
Nothing to say there couldn't be a splinter universe where GB2 never happened.
Even the two movie events are in flux in the spin-off verses, the Real universe evidently had Vigo show up shortly after Gozer was defeated while in the movie verse it was a few years.

Also too bad they didn't include the NOW comics Ghostbusters in this event, but then again for the most part they would just be more more colored versions of the Real verse cast.
>>
>>101630285

Really depends on how you want to interpret Akroyd's work.

According to him they likely would have received government stipends in exchange to travel the country when directed and investigate paranormal threats. Essentially a more effective BPRD.

Rejecting that then I imagine everyone but Kylie stops being a Ghostbusters and Roland retires on his private island. Roland then later threatens to blow up the moon with a giant particle thrower.
>>
>>101639521
and meant to type they would be more normal colored versions with a more world weary attitude.
>>
>>101639532
>That Bad Future episode where they all become amazing heroes and renown scientists
>Except for Garret who is forgotten to history implying he died like a bitch
>>
>>101639521
That's too much splintering, bro.

The ONLY reason Real and Extreme are being treated as though they are separate dimensions instead of the past and future of the same Earth was so they could have both teams but also say "We can't use the dimension machine for time travel", thus preventing the audience from asking "why don't they just solve every problem by going back in time and undoing the bad thing that happened?"

Hell, the Sanctum of Slime team continues to behave as though they're in their own world's past and Egon and Ray are identical to the ones from their world, despite being drawn in a different artstyle than the main cast is.

Another thing preventing them from using the "they visit the world of the original movie and Bill Murray is a photo" idea is I'm fairly certain IDW does not have the likeness rights of the actors. That's why Dan Schoening draws Winston a lot different than he used to back when he was still drawing GB fan art on DeviantArt.
>>
>>101639119
The little report dossiers at the end of each number are more enjoyable than the "Idulnas/Samhain/The Collector/That norwegian fuck want to end the world again!" most of the time.

>>101639554
Yeah, but Garrett was an utter cunt who deserved to get his shit kicked in.
>>
>>101639595

I really hope at the end of this, they destroy the portal. We've had too many crossovers.
>>
>>101639618
It would be nice, but I think they're legally obligated to use the Fembusters for a certain amount of time and crossing over so that Venkman and co. can save their stories with their presence is the only way to make the books sell.
>>
>>101639630

Yeah but how long are we gonna have to put up with them. Don't they even got their own comic going on now too? Has anyone read that? I sure as shit didn't. Im buying every issue of the Burnham book, because Burnham's a great writer. Man Id like to see him on a Spiderman book or something. But Id also hate to see him give up the ghost.
>>
>>101639653
I have not read the Fembusters solo either. I would be curious to see sales numbers.
>>
>>101639519
So what's the story with the Hulk Hogan and Captain Lou Albano universe, anyway?

And who's the third actor supposed to be in the Belushi and Eddie Murphy universe?
>>
File: Kylie break.png (400 KB, 794x315)
400 KB
400 KB PNG
>>101639673
>I would be curious to see sales numbers.

well according to comicrhon for June

Crossing Over sold 4342 (which is actually down from may by about 2000 units)

Answer The Call sold a whopping 470 units. (Though the earlier issues sold about 3000 odd)

The fembusters are actually polluting the main book's sales.
>>
>>101639731
WWF had a hulk hogan cartoon waaay back in 80s. I guess they were on the same channel or had a crossover at some point
>>
File: ernie hudson.jpg (137 KB, 800x1000)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>101639731

Im not sure about Hulk Hogan but Ernie Hudson guest starred on an episode of the Super Mario Brothers Super Show.
>>
>>101639759
Nah, the Hogan cartoon was already off the air by the time RGB premiered, and that was on CBS while RGB was on ABC.
>>
The Hulkster was just from a random episode where his cartoon did a busters parody. Dan Schoening pretty much gets carte blanche to draw whatever references he wants and he goes balls deep.
>>
File: 001.jpg (763 KB, 1280x1968)
763 KB
763 KB JPG
why is it always so hard to get a GB thread going.
>>
>>101639767
How many months of rent have residual GB checks paid for Hudson, you think?
>>
>>101638120
Guess this is a good time to get into this show. Thanks
>>
>>101641151

Hope you like it.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (10 KB, 480x360)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>101630285
>Did they LIVE at the Firehouse? In several episodes they still seem to have their own places, but you see beds at the firehouse
There was an episode where we find out Eduardo was living with his brother. (who's a cop) After a fight decides to crash at the firehouse. Living with Slimer would make it too difficult to live at the firehouse.
>>
>>101631147
I feel like Eduardo wouldn't have his tag line either. At least not as callous as the show was, where he really meant it it and didn't care either way.
>>
>>101641806
Heh
100% exploitable said with no sense of irony.
>>
>>101641112
I've noticed this too.
I guess it's one of those "It was good. We all like it. Not much to talk about." things.
>>
>>101641834
For not being a screamer, she sure screamed a lot. Like every other episode.
She also said she wasn't a laugher either. And she laughed far less often then she screamed.
>>
>>101643147
>I guess it's one of those "It was good. We all like it. Not much to talk about." things.

Well, it used to be. But I'm about at my breaking point with Crossing Over. I was hoping the Answer the Call GBs would go away after 101, but it's clear that they're here to stay. And the last issue was The Holtzman Show and goddamn she is unfunny and annoying. I had to skip her pages because they were so irritating.

They're forcing the Answer the Call characters way too hard, and while during 101 I was willing to grin and bear it because I figured it would only be temporary, now that they're regular characters in the book I'm just about ready to tap out. They Cousin Olivered a great comic.
>>
>>101638120
Thanks.
>>
>>101643218

I suffered through 101 because I thought it was going to be a finite storyline and the 2016 characters would fuck off back to their universe at the end.

But Burnham has shown his true colors, bringing them into the book as permanent main cast members. "Male ally" and all that. I dropped it two issues into Crossing Over.
>>
File: Kylie drive02.jpg (34 KB, 640x480)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>
>>101639731
It was one episode of an old Wrestling Cartoon
>>
>>101645594
They may be forced to use them to keep the GB license since Sony was so gungho about making the new movie relevant back when it came out. Only reason I can think of why they are still around since they are dragging the book down. It wouldn't be bad if the most annoying character wasn't always front and center, but nope, gotta have her spazzing out constantly.
>>
>>101647052

I dunno if Burnham has ever made a public statement about the movie or characters. He hasn't done anything in the book to make them more palatable, though; the only one to get a significant overhaul was the Leslie Jones character. She want from a shrieking, ranting ethnic stereotype to "Winstone with tits", always being even tempered and monotone. Wish Burnham could've dialed Holtzman back like that.
>>
>>101631147

You gotta miss pre 9/11 America
>>
>>101639757
Is there anything the 2016 travesty don't drag down?
>>
>>101638148
Endearing?
I've always wanted to draw lewd stuff with whatsherface lesbian with the yellow tinted googles
>>
>>101647578
>I dunno if Burnham has ever made a public statement about the movie or characters.

He made one or two tweets about it being "Okay" that you could tell where obvious orders from on high. I can only imagine this is not how the crossover went in his head when he pitched it.

You can really tell he didn't want to it either. Even back in 101 a huge portion of the 2016 busters character arcs was seeing how much the actual Ghostbusters have accomplished and bing not only humbled but one of them even questioned why even bother if they're never going to achieve the same heights. Which actually made for an almost endearing moment when she realized she shouldn't compare herself and should have just done her own thing for the sake of doing her own thing.
>>
>>101639731
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2iu2pi
>>101639757
>470 units
Holy shit.
>>
>>101639757
>Answer The Call sold a whopping 470 units.

That... that can't be right. Did you miss a 0 in there? IDW canned Scarlett's Strike Force at 2000 units preordered. No fucking way they'd let Answer the Call keep going with sub-1000 units preordered.
>>
>>101638120

Link not working. Help.
>>
>>101648354

Did you replace the DOT with a . ?
>>
>>101648148
I mean, it's Fembusters, so I'd not be surprised.
>>
>>101648396

Me neither, it just seems hard to believe that a comic with preorders less than 500 units could even get distributed.
>>
>>101648148
>>101648415

That was just for the most recent issue. Previous ones where about 3000
>>
>>101648370
Got it! Thank you
>>
>>101648524

come the fuck on man.
>>
>>101648117
>Mean Gene shows up out of nowhere
>Hulk immediately shoves a bucket on his head
>>
>>101649211
>Ghostbusters theme tune starts playing for a couple of seconds, then suddenly cuts out
They really didn't give a shit, did they?
>>
>>101649495
>they start playing the opening to Beat It
>not Thriller
How the hell did they not get sued? You can't tell me they bought the rights to all that music, because they sure didn't spend any money on anything else
>>
>>101639731
>And who's the third actor supposed to be in the Belushi and Eddie Murphy universe?
Michael Keaton.
>>
>>101645657
It is pretty silly how short she is
>>
>>101639757
>>101648117
>>101648148
Not at all surprised by Answer The Call selling like shit. Wasn't like a 4 or 5 issue mini? My LCS didn't even bother to order anything past #3. And I'm pretty sure I saw a ton of #1s in the dollar boxes last time I dug through there.
>>
>>101649809

Amazing how the market keeps screaming WE DON'T WANT THE ANSWER THE CALL GHOSTBUSTERS with a box office bomb of a movie, action figures on clearance and a comic that sells sub-1000 in preorders.

Yet Sony and IDW still keep trying to force them. When the fuck are they going to admit they were wrong and let Ghostbusters be about the cast fans LIKE?
>>
>>101649951

Forcing the 2016 cast into the main Ghostbusters book is Sony/IDW's way of "compromising" with the fans.

>"Oh, you want the original cast? OK, but if you want them, YOU HAVE TO TAKE THE NEW CAST TOO!"

But all that's doing is killing the media with the classic cast. The 2016 GBs are a fucking cancer.
>>
>>101649495
>>101649525
The credits do mention they paid for the Ghostbusters theme.

No idea how Beat It slipped by, though.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.