[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: sketch-1531380528717.png (74 KB, 720x1024)
74 KB
74 KB PNG
Something went wrong here but I'm not sure what.
>>
Aang having hair
>>
>>101639183
Bryke took over from Ehasz.
>>
Too much filler, for starters. "The Painted Lady" should never have been made. We should have gotten another firebending episode instead.
>>
>>101639198
>"The Painted Lady" should never have been made.
Agreed.
>We should have gotten another firebending episode instead.
Please tell me you're not referring to the garbage that is "The Firebending Masters".
>>
>>101639209
No, I mean an episode comparable to "Bitter Work," where Aang actually knuckles down and dives into firebending. For a book entitled "Fire," Aang does practically no firebending in it.
>>
>>101639224
Ah, yes. I agree with that.
(Would be best if Ehasz wrote it, like Bitter Work.)
>>
>>101639183
>>101639198
katara ruined the last Agni Kai

>>101639262
>Bitter Work
that was a wierd episode on team Zuko's side
I never understood why Iroh was so quick to gave up on teaching Zuko how to genrate lightning after he failed the first time
I mean I get that Iroh was keeping him down with firebending at the begining of the show seeing as Zuko was clearly under Ozai's influence but by this point it rl didn't make sense
>>
>>101639460
>I never understood why Iroh was so quick to gave up on teaching Zuko how to genrate lightning after he failed the first time
i don't think it was the first time, he was trying it over and over again but still failing constantly. it's not like iroh pointed out anything wrong with his technique or form or anything like that, it was his inner turmoil. he just spent the last few minutes describing that lightning needs total calmness and peace of mind to create and zuko was just filled with too much rage. iroh's not stupid, he knows his nephew is massive fucking grump so it makes sense for him to come to that conclusion, and it's not like he gave up on teaching him how to manipulate it entirely considering he taught him the equally useful skill of redirection.
>>
>>101639516
>iroh's not stupid, he knows his nephew is massive fucking grump so it makes sense for him to come to that conclusion
and yet he did not even make an attempt to somehow fix the problem which should be something a wise old master should do because bending is only partially a martial art and like 2/3 a psycho-magical mumbojumbo

that was the perfect moment to help Zuko realise that there is something within him that needs fixing on top of his life in general being fucked
Iroh could have even use himself as an example here - even if that was a lie

>and it's not like he gave up on teaching him how to manipulate it entirely considering he taught him the equally useful skill of redirection
redirection is only useful against ppl that can bend lightning themselves so it only ever will be needed if you plan on taking on the fire nation

just like being a teaserving peasant in ba sing se this is one more time when Iroh is not thinking about what Zuko wants or needs but selfishly uses him to fulfill his own desire
which is only amplified by the fact that the old man bothers to teach it to Zuko at all only after he himself is attacked by Azula despite the fact that this would have been Zuko's fate if Aang did't show up
>>
>>101639198
Book water had more filler though.
>>
>>101639183
fire nation just wasn't that interesting

going from a long arc in the second half of season 2 back to the more individual episodes is jarring
>>
>>101639460
>>101639703
Anon... did you write this analysis, by any chance?
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7027181/1/What-SHOULD-have-Happened-in-AtLA
>>
>>101639198
This, also that theater episode.
I don't mind the filler on its own but it took valuable space for buildup.
Ending wasn't nearly as impactful as it should have been.
>>
>>101639901
Fuck you, you piece of shit.
>>
>>101639843
>Anon... did you write this analysis, by any chance?
kek
but sadly no but the couple of first chapters were hilarious so I will give it a read
>>
>>101639936
Given your opinion of Iroh, you will be fucking blown away by the final chapter. I guarantee it.

Have fun.
>>
>>101639460
>I know, I'll stand 20 feet away from these GIANT WAVES OF FLAME
Zuko should've let her roast
>>
>>101639911
???
>>
>>101639262
It is getting annoying idiot fags thinking that only Ehasz can write episodes on this show.
>>
>>101639703
>and yet he did not even make an attempt to somehow fix the problem which should be something a wise old master should do because bending is only partially a martial art and like 2/3 a psycho-magical mumbojumbo
He did. You can't just tell someone to get over their inner turmoil. Iroh spent the entire rest of the season trying to give Zuko a life outside of hunting the Avatar, in hopes that it would be what he needed to finally get over his shit. And yeah, if he had another couple of years of working in the tea shop, he probably would have stopped caring about his honor and finally been able to bend lightning. The invasion of Ba Sing Se just happened at a bad time for him.
>>
It was the season that had all-out war in it so it became impossible to pretend that the show could do real violence. So you ended up with grand scale shots of people playing GI Joe and it's a little jarring.
IMO, it should've focused on the adventure part and, absolutely, have the war as a backdrop, but show it sparingly to avoid blatantly giving away that you had the kid gloves on the whole time.
>>
>>101642000
You have zero clue what you're talking about, on both counts. STFU and GTFO.
>>
>>101642007
Nice non-argument, fag. I'm absolutely pondering it with my full attention and not dismissing it like the childish blurt that it is.
>>
>>101642019
The entire fucking show was about a "real war", you were probably still in diapers during Book 1.
And fuck cartoons having realistic violence, if you don't have enough in RL there's always live action
>>
>>101642070
Are you a moron?
The war needs to happen, absolutely. But in the first two books it was better crafted, it was a conflict that had cooled down so the party could have a more journey-adventure type of show. In Fire is when you see active incursions in which no one dies and grand scale assaults in which nothing happens but some fire and rocks flying around. It's EXPLICIT and you don't see anyone getting hurt in the war, not even like in the finale of season one, in which it's implied a whole fleet was massacred by Spirit Aang.
>>
>>101642108
>It's EXPLICIT
>in which it's implied
I'd come up with a good response myself, but:
>Are you a moron?
>>
>>101642150
You'd come up with a goos response if you weren't an idiot trying to save face.
>>
>>101642167
Lel, I pointed out that your own fucking argument contradicted itself.

Looks like your "goos" is cooked...
>>
File: Reunion-300x200.png (108 KB, 300x200)
108 KB
108 KB PNG
>>101639183
Letting this fucker have as much screentime as he did. We could've had some comedy/drama/ good times with Ty Lee and Mai joining the Gaang.

This asshole was placed in BR for a good reason and yet he gets to come and is never seen again after the ep. What the fuck man?!
>>
>>101643331
>This asshole was placed in BR for a good reason
How do you know this? And he had absolutely no influence on Ty Lee or Mai not joining the Gaang.
>>
>>101643409
So why did the writing staff let him escape and not Ty lee and Mai if he was not going to matter next ep or ever?
>>
>>101643463
Why did they let him escape? Because he was funnier than the main cast put together, probably.
Why not Ty Lee or Mai? Fucking plot, you retard.
But my point is that the two things aren't related.
>>
>>101639901
>This, also that theater episode.
They did need a "recap" episode to bring everything to a close, that was the best they could have done with it
>>
They can't write character development for shit so with time approaching for hero to grow up and take on evil wizard, story had fallen apart.

Same as with Korra, only faster.
>>
>>101643512
>They can't write character development for shit
They can, they just weren't allowed because of the movie and Zutara.
>>
File: Aang_with_Lion_Turtle.png (130 KB, 333x250)
130 KB
130 KB PNG
>>101639183
The literal deus ex is a good place to start
>>
>>101643532
The lion turtle meme is literally pleb filter at this point. It shows you have no understanding of literary critique, and just post what personally annoyed as a kid because it was "unexpected" as an example of "bad writing".

Patricians post the chakra rock.
>>
>>101643576
Kids, don't argue. Those are both shitty DEMs.

The problem with Aang was twofold - he was facing external conflict in form of powerful villain and needing more firepower to defeat him, and internal conflict between his pacifistic beliefs and need for decisive action.

Stupid rock solved the first one, unlocked unlimited avatar state for no good reason.

Turtle solved the second, by giving Aang an easy way out of his dilemma.
>>
>>101643676
Except the problem was NOT the lion turtle, or energybending for that matter. In fact both were REQUIRED to be present in the finale, one way or another, just given the show's foreshadowing and overall themes.

The actual problem? There was absolutely no reason to introduce the conflict over killing Ozai in the first place! It doesn't even make sense, we've seen throughout the show that there are numerous ways to restrain even powerful benders, and hence it never came up back when the show still had competent writing
>>
>>101639183
It used to be my favorite season by far, but after a recent rewatch, I didn't like it as much. I also don't know why.

I do know that Southern Raiders is by far the worst episode of the series--far worse than the Great Divide.
>>
>>101643933
Hey Ehasz, I'm sorry your wife's script got hacked by Bryke, but don't you have a show of your own to be working on now? Shitposting on /co/ doesn't help with that... much.
>>
>>101639183
The continued focus on episodic stories and mini-arcs instead of the natural evolution of the show to a single, arching narrative.
The lack of time to develop Zuko joining the gang due to how late in the season his turn happened.
The ass pull with the lion turtles and energy bending.
Azula's final lightning bolt not blowing up in her face as a thematic callback to Zuko's own struggles.
Dropped plotlines like Combustion Man
I could probably go on but these are the big ones
>>
>>101639703
>and yet he did not even make an attempt to somehow fix the problem which should be something a wise old master should do because bending is only partially a martial art and like 2/3 a psycho-magical mumbojumbo
He's literally trying to fix Zuko's problems for the entire show anon
>>
>>101643933
I'm that one weirdo who thinks the Great Divide isn't as bad as all that
>>
>>101644241
Admitting your shit taste is the first step on the long road to recovery, anon. Emphasis on long.
>>
>>101644261
I didn't say it was a GOOD episode, but even a bad Last Airbender episode is better than most okay episodes of other shows.
>>
>>101639198
>not loving the filler
If each season had ten more episodes and only two were really "plotty" episodes, I'd be happy.
The episodic exploration of the world and its people was what made Avatar so great.
>>
>>101643933
I just rewatched the entire series, and the whole thing remains great.
Not a single episode less than an 8/10.
Some things I take small issue with, but nothing big at all.
>>
>>101641500
>>101643988
>He's literally trying to fix Zuko's problems for the entire show anon
No.
the source of Zuko's problems was his feeling of inferiority and fear of death at the hands of his family members and resulted anxiety
what he needed was to feel good at some form of combat that would make him at least marginaly secure
even if you consider that Iroh hoped that Zuko will just give up you can not say that it would benefit Zuko's mental state in any way - there are very few things more soul crushing than the feeling of utter failure

to help Zuko Iroh should have worked on giving him reasons for self confidence and purpose in life but all he did was trying to use him as a substitute for Lu Ten
>>
>>101644279
That just tells you how bad most cartoons are compared to anime. It's not an endorsement of the bullshit that episode pulled.
>>
>>101639195
I liked his Fire Nation look with the headband. To be honest, I prefer the Fire Nation looks for all of the main characters over what they normally wore in the first two seasons.
>>
>>101644550
TPL, just like TGD, is shitty, utterly pointless filler that should never have been made.

Good filler is a whole 'nother story.
>>
>>101645626
I'm of the exact opposite opinion. The FN outfits were so fugly on the Gaang, it was unbelievable.
>>
>>101643676
>Finally Aang has to do some actual character development and not be: fun goofy kid that is also incredible wise.
>Gets the perfect solution handed to him last minute completely for free and without having to make a though decision.
Anybody who believes this was good is either trolling or being an insufferable fanboy.
>>
>>101645862
>yfw the final battle is him just using DEM Avator state, instead of him somehow not being able to use Avatar state, but realizing that he can use all the elements expertly anyway because of all his interactions over the course of his journey that has given him a transcendental understanding of each element
>>
>>101645639
And here's the thing: The Great Divide comes in Season One, when we're just getting to know the world of Avatar. It kind of makes sense for us to have a mostly self-contained filler episode that gives us a look at two ethnic groups and their unique dilemma, since we're being introduced to how this world functions.

By Season Three, we KNOW how the world works. Sure, you can argue that we need to see what the Fire Nation is like, but more than anything, Season Three needs to be about plot. We need to see Aang learning firebending, we need to see Zuko clashing with Ozai and turning against him, we need to see the wrapup of the character arcs of Katara, Sokka, Toph, and Azula. Season Three was NOT THE TIME for an episode like The Painted Lady. It was horribly out of place, along with a lot of the filler-y aspects of Season Three. Bryke were dicking around in their world when they needed to get on with telling the main story.
>>
Subtle character development was discarded in exchange for blatant exposition of character traits. Plus, the initiative of the plot degraded. Zuko was not wrong for getting mad at the Gaang for playing at the beach instead of training and Aang's adamant stance on not killing the Ozai came off as bratty and selfish instead of righteous.
>>
It had a really shitty start with Aang trying to abandon the crew and Katara starting needless drama over her father.
>>
>>101643576
You pretty much said nothing with this post.
>>
>>101645930
>And here's the thing: The Great Divide comes in Season One, when we're just getting to know the world of Avatar. It kind of makes sense for us to have a mostly self-contained filler episode that gives us a look at two ethnic groups and their unique dilemma, since we're being introduced to how this world functions.
Do NOT defend TGD. It did not "introduce us" to jack shit. The tribes never appeared again.
>>
>>101645895
Yup it felt like a Dragonball Z fight and that is NOT a compliment within the context of Avatar. Now Zuko and Azula, that's a proper final battle.
>>
>>101645930
Basically this season one needed to world build season 3 not. Also you are more tolerant of fillers if you just discovered a great new series. But that tolerance wears off quickly the more you progress (or when you rewatch).
>>
>>101646155
>Now Zuko and Azula, that's a proper final battle.
but katara ruined it anyway
>>
>>101639183
Katara interrupting Agni Kai
>>
>>101646590
>Katara interrupting Agni Kai
pretty sure Azula interrupted the Agni Kai
>>
>>101645895
>>101646155
>>101646561
And the Ba Sing Se battle was the worst of all of them, given the nameless mooks fighting and pointlessness of the White Lotus being there in the first place.

Sozin's Comet was an unrecognized clusterfuck, probably because it got the highest ratings of any known children's cartoon AFAIK. (Fucking normies, even back then.)

This anon >>101645862 is still retarded though
>>
>>101646632
I do like the twist on Iroh's destiny to capture Ba Sing Se.

But the execution itself was bleh
>>
>>101646632
Please explain how lion turtle/energy bending was good.
>>
>>101646026
>>101646715
Are both of you unironically retarded, or did you just fail to read the thread? I explained everything in >>101643843
>>
>>101646713
>I do like the twist on Iroh's destiny to capture Ba Sing Se.
Don't forget the giant fireball, quite possibly the best action sequence in the entire fucking finale.
>>
>>101646735
Where did the show foreshadowed for: "Mythical beast appears teaches Aang a skill that solves all his problems.
>>
>>101646872
The Library
>>
>>101646929
So nothing then.
>>
>>101639183
Mako died so that fucked up everything they had planned for Iroh. They fumbled Kataang the entire season when it was something they were meant to have planned for some time. Pacing's all over the place, there's no sense of urgency in the lead up to the Black Sun invasion or the aftermath. Lion Turtle was dumb albeit "planned", Aang winning by Ozai throwing him into a fucking rock was just terrible. Completely ruined any moral tension in that final battle, rendered the entire point of the previous four episodes moot. Energy Bending was dumb but at least it looked cool.

Katara ruined Zuko's final battle because they couldn't think of anything clever for her to do in the series finale. The actual Fire Nation society stuff is adequate, could be better but it just about worked. Really felt like something that should have been covered in more depth in the last two books. Southern Raiders is incredibly unsatisfying, and not in a good "revenge will never make you happy" way. Blood Bending goes nowhere. Lots of problems. Some really great shit in there though, but nothing that surpasses Book 2.
>>
>>101646929
>>101646980
Not him, but don't forget Sokka's Master as well...
>>
This is why you never force dliemmas. Aang obviously doesn't have to kill Ozai; it's plain as fucking day yet they milk it the entire season. Aang being too weak to save the world or Zuko failing in his redemption are actual dilemmas without a foregone conclusion, which is why the previous seasons worked so well.
>>
More build up and tension with Zuko entering the group would've been perfect imo.
>>
>>101647396
>yet they milk it the entire season.
They don't even mention it until episode 16 of 21, and it's not actually discussed until episode 18.
That's actually the much bigger problem here.
>>
>>101647431
As in, they milked it for shock value. Almost as if they went HOLY SHIT DID SOKKA IMPREGNATE TOPH?! and then 5 eps later they're like j/k lol

Now if the show had been an anime it wouldn't have been so predictable. Maybe Aang-kun would've killed him in hatred, or indifference, fulfilling his role so he could fuck off and discover Zen in peace and quiet.
>>
>>101643576
Lmao what are you even talking about, of course I don't have an understanding of literary critique, I'm normal
>>
I remember a long ass essay on what was wrong with book 3 and it was on gamefaqs of all places
>>
>>101639460
>katara ruined the last Agni Kai
This. Stupid bitch runs into frame to get a better look at the goddamn lightning Azula is going to shoot, and makes Zuko go full moralfag. Azula was clearly losing, would have been a fucking incredible payoff for Zuko to finally defeat his sister, who has always been better than him. Probably they set up the Katara thing because they were drawing all these cool firebending moves and they couldn't think of any way for Zuko to beat Azula without killing her, aside from redirecting the lightning at her feet and having the explosion knock her into a wall and make her fall unconscious, which would have been lame because fucking everyone gets thrown like ragdolls in the show.
Stupid last minute asspull, like energybending.
>>
>>101639703
>just like being a teaserving peasant in ba sing se this is one more time when Iroh is not thinking about what Zuko wants or needs but selfishly uses him to fulfill his own desire
This sentence was literally written by Zuko.
>>
>>101646929
>mythical beast appears
Still waiting for the other half
>>
I still like Energybending. I liked it when I first watched at age ten, liked it when I first rewatched a few years later, and liked when I finished rewatching just now.
Aang only uses violence in self-defense, and still never kills. Finally realizing that he has to kill the Firelord creates a dilemma, since he doesn't want to kill him, and it's not unlikely that Ozai could get out of any prison even without the comet, considering his strength, not to mention loyal people breaking him out or him being martyred.
The Lionturtle was cool. It was a slice of something older and more powerful than the Avatar feeling pity for the poor Airbender, last of his people, and giving him the perfect tool.
I'm no critic, though, so nostalgia overrides all.
>>
the only thing that ruined it imo is that it had Legend of Korra tier scheduling and Steven Universe tier scheduling at the end. There was way too much shit crammed into the last few episodes.

Black Sun was in December 2007, for kids in an age where the internet was only beginning to blossom we had no clue when it would be back or if it would ever come back. Then Nick dropped the Avatarbomb in July 2008 and it felt really rushed.

From episode 1, it was obvious that Zuko was going to join the Gaang and teach him firebending. As an 8 year old I figured that from the moment I saw him. Yet he doesn't officially become their ally until the Avatar Bomb that ended the series in July 2008. It was bullshit to only have such a major character be a good guy for about five episodes.
>>
>>101639183
it became serialized
>>
>>101647277
What did he particularly say?
>>
>>101650097
He had a picture of a Lion Turtle in his study. The existence of Lion Turtles was foreshadowed a couple of times, them being masters of an ancient form of proto-bending that easily resolved Aaan's ethical dilemma was not.
>>
>>101645655
Yikes
>>
>>101650211
Ah I see, I must confess they were foreshadowed but its appearance feels to much as a cheap plot device still. In the end Aang always remained the goofy kid that never learned you sometimes have make hard decisions that leave a bad taste.
>>
>>101649487
There were no asspulls. This was the only kino resolution. Of you don't feel shit when zuko takes that blast for Katara and that cello is playing the main theme, you're not human.
>>
>>101650488
If you don't think an entire show's worth of character development being cucked for "muh feels" is puke-inducing, you're a faggot.
>>
>>101646111
I don't think he's defending The Great Divide, just the type of story that was told with that episode.
>>
>>101646929
>>101647277
That's not actual foreshadowing though. The Lion Turtles existing wasn't the thing that needed to be foreshadowed, them knowing about energy-building and giving Aang a deus ex machina that magically solved his moral dilemma without any sacrifice whatsoever was. That and the convenient rock that happened to hit Aang's spine at just the right place with just the right amount of force to unlock his Avatar state was complete bullshit and poor story-telling.
>>
>>101650488
I mostly felt "thank you Katara for being a dumb bitch who just got Zuko killed, what a good friend you are. Good job you came along on the one day per century when Waterbenders are at their absolute weakest and literal children are stronger than you are. He would never have won without your help."
>>
>>101649870
My problem is that energy-bending is a get out of jail free card. It solved Aang's internal conflict perfectly and it cost him absolutely nothing. It was the opposite of struggle and character growth and it being introduced moments before the finale certainly didn't help things. Aang had to struggle in order to master the four elements and even by the show's end he hadn't quite gotten there. There was no struggle for Aang to go through in order to acquire energy-bending, it almost literally dropped right into his lap at the perfect moment for no other reason than plot convenience.
>>
>>101643966
>Azula's final lightning bolt not blowing up in her face as a thematic callback to Zuko's own struggles.

Nah she doesn't deserve that.
>>
>>101649487
>>101650574
I'm convinced that people on this board only bring this shit up cause they hate Katara and want to suck Zuko off. I know people love Zuko and wanted to see him take down Azula but this conclusion actually fit his arc and the themes of the show. One of the central themes of the show was that depending on others isn't weakness and those who refuse to accept help fail. Zuko accepting Azula's challenge was fucking dumb and arrogant. It gave Azula an opportunity to win for no reason. They should have both taken her from the beginning and overwhelmed her. I love Zuko and would have liked to see him take Azula down but saving his friend was a better conclusion to his arc than burning his little sister to death.
>>101650647
>Katara was standing on the sidelines and never made to attack
>considering the last time she saw Azula bend lightning the Avatar died in front of her it makes sense she would panic and rush forward but she is still well outside the fight and doesn't take an offensive stance
>Agni-kais are all about honor and by purposely targeting a bystander Azula forfeits the fight and dishonors herself
>Zuko's entire arc was about honor
>Sacrificing himself and his own wellbeing to save his friend when his opponent cheats is the single most honorable thing he could possibly have done
The second part of your comment is just dumb. Katara is an incredibly skilled bender and healer. She's an asset in any fight even if its literally just to heal Zuko's burns.
>>
>>101651222
Nigga already got his honor by denying his Nazi heritage. I wanted a complete epic final battle between him and his lifelong rival. What I got was most of that, and then some feels interrupting it. Fuck you.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.