[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Miss Bianca.jpg (33 KB, 720x480)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
ITT list what you hate about Disney. Movies? The corporation's habits of buying others out? Their Disney Princess line? List it here.
>>
Endlessly extending the copyright law. I usually love the fuck out of Disney and even often just have respect for them as a successful business and corporation, but I believe that preventing any properties from entering the public domain like they have just so that they can keep clutching their mouse is actively harmful to the progression of culture.
>>
The blatant monarchism
>>
>>93254592
How so?
>>
>>93254637
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Term_Extension_Act#Support
https://law.duke.edu/cspd/publicdomainday/2017/pre-1976/
>>
>>93254592
>Endlessly extending the copyright law
>a successful business and corporation
these two things are entirely related, you don't owe them any respect
>>
>>93254592
Fucking this.
>>
>>93254522
""Family Values""
>>
>>93254592
>Endlessly extending the copyright law.
This is probably the worst of their sins. Copyright on a work has no reason to exceed the life of the creator of the work, short of helping a company profit off of the deceased's work. I personally feel copyright should die with the creator of the work, but I know people have good arguments as to why it shouldn't.
>>
>>93254522
If pic related is your hate I will fucking castrate you with a pair of rusty hedge clippers.
>>
I'll never understand why animators conspired in the 80's to make us sexually attracted to rodents.
>>
>>93254522
They're popular
>>
>>93255022
PSYOP
S
Y
O
P
>>
I really don't get the copyright extension hate, is everybody chomping at the bit to make Mickey Mouse Cartoons? Most of their shit is based on public domain stuff anyway. I could make a Snow White film tomorrow if I wanted.
And if copyrights did run out they could stop funneling billions into the A.A. Milne trust for the Winnie the Pooh rights.
>>
>>93254994
kek shut the fuck up you triggered furfag
>>
>>93255051
Idk, if I had any talent or motivation I'd make a mickey mouse comic or something. I like the character.
>>
>>93254592
My feelings is that if a property is still being actively used like Mickey Mouse or Snow White then it should remain copyrighted. But obscure works that haven't been made into other media or merchandise is fair use, so something like Felix the Cat would be public domain.
>>
>>93254634
Deal with it peseant
>>
>>93255022

Rodent's are a plague who keeps spreading, adapting, getting smarter, learning how to avoid traps and gaining immunity to poison.

You better get used to them if gonna you are going to share the dominance of the earth with a group of super evolved sentient rodents
>>
>>93255104
Exactly this, the new Mickey shorts are good.
>Nobody gives a shit about Felix the Cat anymore.
>>
The lack of vision as of late in theme park development. Not everything has to be a fucking movie tie-in and you need to be thinking about the bigger picture of what that park is when it comes to putting new stuff in the non-Castle parks.
>>
>>93254522
It's too big to fail
>>
>>93255208
>Literal waste of money.
>$10m profit
It wasn't a screaming success I'll admit but a profit's a profit. It still makes money from rebroadcasts & shit.
>>
>>93255231
Maybe they want to do things to their mouseholes with a q-tip in one hand and their dick in the other.
>>
>>93254592
I disagree but i don't understand why you want other companies to be able to use Mickey Mouse.

For me its
>Cookie cutter princesses
>That calarts disney standard for much of the art
>the really ugly cat faced girls in their CGI films (It just doesn't translate right to CG for me it looks weird as fuck and bulgey)
>Abandonment of 2D animation even though no one could do traditional animation like Disney could

The movie Enchanted had the last 2D animated sequences and it's such a gorgeous example of what could be done with 2D animation by Disney in a day of CGI but they only care about CGi. I'm bored of it, am I the only one?

>these fucking live action remakes
>The fact that they have access to massive amounts of characters under the original Disney brand but do jack shit with them
>Treat their creators like shit in regards to their tv animation
>Delegate most of their cartoons to a channel that costs extra and then it's a huge shock when some of them don't do as well as the shows on other networks
>Literally every live action show they have had since That's So Raven (or that era at least) ended has been absolute garbage. Something about the production values got really fucking weird and low.
The sitcoms are cornier than Horsin' Around.

Related to their theme parks
>Disneyland is the shittiest between Disney World and Disneyland. Fact. And they can't seem to fix it
>The Pandora themed land, while I hear it's really cool and stunning, is random and fucking stupid theming I didn't know it was even owned by Disney until they announced it, that's how weird it was to me.
>Ridiculously expensive considering they can afford to run for cheaper, some people never get to visit
>>
>>93255113
>if you' can't beat 'em, join 'em in bed.
>>
>>93255248
The best balance would be to go with having original areas with just a touch of branding. I like how the French pavilion is still all about France but in the restaurant Remy (on a trolley) may visit your table.
>>
>>93254592
Keep things copyrighted, especially iconic characters. If you don't, people will horribly tarnish classic characters. When it's Mickey Mouse or Spongebob I want them copyrighted.
>>
>>93255396
Full on Ratatouille ride is coming, though it's unclear what the fate of the old France movie will be.

Like the ride building will be going in the expansion slot next door, but the question is whether or not the queue and load will end up consuming the theater.
>>
>>93255051
I think them being the sole holder of Winnie the Pooh is the only bit of bullshit I see with the copyright holdings. Most of their shit is fair use already since it's based off fairytales and holding onto the rights of things made specifically for your brand isn't unusual either.

>>93255104
Disney doesn't own a copyright for Snow White, but they own the rights to the specific design of their characters (So if someone else made a snow whtie, if she had a yellow dress with a blue top and puffy sleeves then Disney could sue, but if her appearance was different they got nothing).
>>93255208
I don't like them either anon i think they're overrated, but Disney themselves don't pimp it out so I don't hold it against the company. Same with that furry Robin Hood movie. It's garbage and the only reason anyone likes it is because a lot of furfags had their sexual awakenings to the characters, which is pretty much all i have to say about that. If you like this movie I assume you fuck dogs.
>>
>>93255376
>The movie Enchanted had the last 2D animated sequences and it's such a gorgeous example of what could be done with 2D animation by Disney in a day of CGI but they only care about CGi. I'm bored of it, am I the only one?
The Princess and the Frog & Winnie the Pooh says hi.
>>
>>93255376
I see all of these but none of them are really dealbreakers for me. Someday Disney may fall too far, but it is not this day.
>>
>>93255479
>Disney doesn't own a copyright for Snow White, but they own the rights to the specific design of their characters (So if someone else made a snow whtie, if she had a yellow dress with a blue top and puffy sleeves then Disney could sue, but if her appearance was different they got nothing).
Well, yeah, obviously. Same with just about every other Disney fairytale.
>>
>>93255458
putting icons on a pedestal should never be encouraged
>>
>>93255464
I'm okay with that. The Ratatouille ride in Disneyland Paris looks sweet & the short movies are so pase in the era of On-Demand entertainment. Other than the seating & air conditioning, those theaters are a waste of space to guests.
>>
File: Trainwreck.png (1.28 MB, 613x1437)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB PNG
This trainwreck of a character
>>
>>93255630
I think there were other female members of the Rescue Aide Society in both films.

I'll give you Little Mermaid. But at least it was a breakaway from Walt's princesses.

Mulan was kickass, so shut your damn trap.
>>
File: 8d0.jpg (21 KB, 600x600)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>93255630
>>
>>93254522
I hate disney because they turned me into a furry.
Damn it giving anthro characters the bedroom eyes is wrong.
>>
>>93255568
okay Moses
>>
>>93254994
this
>>
>>93254522
Refusal to return to glorious 2D purely because of shekels.
>>
>>93255458
>When it's Mickey Mouse or Spongebob I want them copyrighted.
>Spongebob

Nick has been doing a fine job themselves in ruining during the last few years. It's only gotten better recently, but even then it's far from what it used to be.
>>
>>93255051
I', not interested in Mickey. But I would like access to literally everything after and from the same time as him, mostly non Disney. But since it's a law and an all-or-nothing deal, Mickey is just the marking point for when it starts. So, for example, without the law, we could let, say, Casablanca or Singin in the Rain pass into the public domain. These are just examples.
>>
Overly attached to the standard predictable story formulas (3 act structure, hero's journey, etc.) Watching a Disney movie, I can predict exactly where the "big sad part" will be.

Also sameface. Fucking sameface. EVERYONE HAS THE SAME FACE.
>>
File: Bossk_face.png (492 KB, 720x800)
492 KB
492 KB PNG
>>93254522
Buying Star Wars and cancelling The Clone Wars and EU.
>>
Passive-aggressively pushing the idea that there is certain "magicâ„¢" to the Disney films, that DIsney can make family friendly movies better than everyone else.

Which is a lie, but since when corporations ever lied to grow their reputation?
>>
>>93254522
Basically having a monopoly on the animation industry in film.
Only making kiddie flicks when that's the opposite of what Walt wanted to do.
Same art style for every movie.
Generic use of CGI.
>>
>>93254522
They ruined Orlando decades ago and now I'm paying for it.
>>
>>93259080
>Only making kiddie flicks when that's the opposite of what Walt wanted to do.

Spot on. It's because of Disney that Western Animation is garbage for kids that can't rise above a PG rating. Not going to praise Japanese Anime, but at least they see animation as just a medium. So they're not locked onto just simply kids.
>>
>>93254994
This.
>>
They are quite possibly the safest, bland studios out there and a lot of their more modern movies are made by committee filmmaking that have no soul. Most studios are guilty of this but Disney feels like this more so than any other studio out there.
>>
>>93254522
Basically everything they did to Captain Jack Sparrow and the Pirates movies in general.
>>
their corporate bullshit
refusal to release shitloads of archived material in the best possible quality
trying to fuck with the law to benefit themselves
failing to innovate in style of things like the original plan for epcot and etc
>>
>>93254522
>Miss Bianca
>Hate
>>
>>93261137
basically this. sums up well what i hate about them too
>>
>>93254522
Their refusal to market anything but princess shit to girls.
>>
>>93260904
>they did to Captain Jack Sparrow
Disney published ALL of the movies. It's not like they took the license from someone else and "ruined" the films.
>>
>>93254522
I have how all of the day everyone's going on about artistic integrity this, licensing that, the mouse, bla bla but as soon as Kingdom Hearts drops or some cunt goes to Disneyland it's
>Mickey Yay~!
And how KH is technically half /co/ so it should be allowed. Pick a side so I can stay far from you flip flopping fucks.
>Inb4 it's not the same people
Don't you fucking lie to me. Don't you lie to yourself.
>>
>>93258082
>if it aint broke why fix it?

my gripe? leftist propaganda in nearly all their newest media.
>>
>>93255625
>we could have Snow Queen movie by disney.

goddamit, why Elsa had to sing so WELL?!
>>
>>93254522
The shitty realization of that movie getting a live action adaptation
>>
>>93254522
by exclusively creating animated content for children, they've inadvertently created a cultural climate where your average adult thinks all cartoons are for babies
therefore we have very few cartoons aimed at adults and the ones that do exist are all comedies with crappy animation

because of disney, america (as a whole) won't ever accept cartoons as a valid artistic medium
>>
>>93262969

dont scare me, anon, upcoming Lion King is already 'crossing the line'.
>>
>>93262939
Sorry for being /pol/ for a second, but you don't "win" against "leftists" by just yelling at them. You convince enough of them to change their minds (SOMEHOW), and that's all you can do.

In other words, want to get rid of leftist propaganda in Disney stuff? Start thinking how.
>>
>>93263430
i'm nobody so i can't convince indoctrinated people to change their minds.
I'll just whine on the internet like the rest of us.
>>
>>93254592
>Endlessly extending the copyright law. I usually love the fuck out of Disney and even often just have respect for them as a successful business and corporation, but I believe that preventing any properties from entering the public domain like they have just so that they can keep clutching their mouse is actively harmful to the progression of culture.
100% agreed, hell I bet Walt would have hated the Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998(after all much of his success was due to adapting works in the Public Domain), although I imagine he would have been fine with the Copyright Act of 1976, as that one was much more reasonable overall

>>93255051
it's more the effects it has on our culture overall, it give corporations too much of a stranglehold over it, not to mention it's causing issues for preservation of media
>>
>>93263480
In that case, you can just refuse to ever pay for Disney material, or even WATCH it. Then publicly (online) declare that you do not support DIsney anymore because they "are politically biased and force it down your throat".

THAT is more than nothing. And if enough people do it, if a MILLION people do it, maybe the higher ups will listen.
>>
>>93263515
that's reasonable. thanks.
>>
File: bridget.gif (479 KB, 471x255)
479 KB
479 KB GIF
>>93255022
I fully welcome our mouse overlords
>>
>>93263549
I still think this scene is awkwardly put together. Sure, they needed the dude to fall in love and get distracted, but that is both in-your-face and cliche.

And it made some people feel funny.
>>
>>93263604
it's a movie from like 30 years ago, of course you consider it cliche. started the trend
>>
>>93263610
Maybe you're right.
>>
>>93263430
What leftist propaganda? They have feel-good messages in the movies because that's the vibe they go for. They push for "family" a lot too and that's more of a conservative value.

You guys are reading too much into it. It's not politics, it's just generic sanitized morals for children.
>>
>>93263678
The complainers are just bored angry teenagers.
>>
>>93263704
Depends on how you look at it.
>>
>>93263729
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Don Blutheis the Mouse?
>>
>>93263729
And then, an angry bored teenager from a desert planet was planted by an evil sorcerer-politician to sit in the council so that it would cause problems and lead to the destruction of the order.
Angry bored teenagers really are the best weapons of old evil autocrats.
>>
>>93254522
Mrs Bianca is a wonderful gal.
>>
>>93264473
More people need to use "gal". A perfectly good word, slowly being forgotten because lazy fucks just keep saying "guy" to refer to everyone.
>>
>>93264773
They use 'guy' because it's easy to assume everyone is male on the Web but I don't think people have actually forgotten that word.
>>
>>93264808
It's in real life now.
>>
>>93254522
They're just such a business that they've nailed everything down to a science. They basically just write down specific but not too specific character traits on a piece of paper, come up with a logical combination and then make that the protagonist. She almost always looks like this: has a very minor flaw that's endearing to the audience but is treated like a real fault (i.e. anger problems). Sarcastic but still jovial.

But I don't want to focus on cookie cutter characters. I'm talking about how they push the envelope just enough. Like the world's stingiest pet owner, they've figured out the bare minimum to keep us satisfied. They tackle heavy and interesting themes but never in a heavy or interesting way. The hero never loses anything, there's never a point brought up that makes the audience question their worldview and there's never any real risk. It's all simulated.

Rogue One caught me way off guard. You could say it's because that one's PG-13, but that caught me off guard, too. However, that's the Star Wars IP, which has never been shy about bisections, decapitations, immolation, etc. All their original films are so play it safe.

Frozen could have had a heavy subplot about Olaf melting in the summer, but they just pull a solution out of their ass. Tangled opens with the line about "This is the story of my death" but, true to its name, it's a Disney death. Moana dealt with Pacific Islanders, so I can't blame it for being fuck all afraid of anything and everything.

Disney's just boring.
>>
>>93262961
The saddest thing about them abandoning the original concept is how clear it is that Elsa was meant to be an antagonist. The movie would've worked so much fucking better.
>>
File: nala_by_ifus-d4ks5yv.jpg (60 KB, 900x635)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>93254522
The fact that they made me want to fuck a lioness.
>>
>>93263549
Overlords nothing. Unless they're like Miss Bianca describes at 1:38:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JsnBOKdvXI

Or bigger, you got weak overlords.
>>
>>93265210
oh, Eddie. YOU did it all to YOURSELF.
>>
Is the thread is all out of material?
>>
File: Marvel_Vs_Capcom_V2.png (1.72 MB, 1500x1000)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB PNG
I will never forgive you Disney.
>>
>>93265210
>>93267200
The animators knew exactly what they were doing. It's the only Disney movie with a sex scene.
>>
File: 1467571516515.png (808 KB, 873x714)
808 KB
808 KB PNG
>>93270441
>>93267200
>>93265210
>>
>>93254522
their unjust self harming morals they try to brainwash kids with
>>
>>93254947
"family" is now just a euphemism for christian and "not-gay" shit
>>
>>93254967
I say death of author or 10 years, whichever comes first, myself. But I'm probably an asshole.
>>
>>93271040
>or 10 years, whichever comes first
Usagi Yojimbo wouldn't exist
>>
>>93270784
Example?
>>
>>93271151
>Usagi Yojimbo wouldn't exist
Who? Some rabbit samurai comic?
>>
>>93256102
falling for the bad fanbase meme
every community has cringe and over the top fanatic fans just because furries are the scapegoat of the internet that doesn't mean other communities are more bader or gooder than they
>>
>>93269385
I-I just wanna go for another ride guys, is that so hard to ask for?
>>
>>93271184

"diversity is great, we just need to understand each other"
>>
File: Bellwether_Zootopia.jpg (1.06 MB, 1956x2731)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
>>93254522
I'm getting tired of how gynocentric disney movies are, and how the movies are essentially reusing the same characters and tropes

>Acrobatic go-getter that defies societal norms: Judy Hopps, Moana
>Shifty lazy male follower with a troubled past: Nick, Maui
>Out of nowhere villain with little build-up shoehorned into the movie: Lava monster, Bellwether, Hans

Disney seems to have hit on a formula for films that they don't want to stop using, get the little girls to theaters at all costs.
>>
>>93273263

>anna forcing kristoff to help her
>vanelope forcing ralph to help her
>rapunzel forcing flynn to help her

at least we know the reason why judy became the protagonist.
>>
>>93273450
Judy forced Nick by holding her recording pen over him much like Rapunzel hid the satchel from Eugene.
>>
>>93273946
Kristoff asided, the other two were criminals (albeit cool dudes) so I see it as more the universe biting them in the ass for past misdeeds.
>>
What do I hate the most?
It's a monopoly, the theme park is paedophilia central, they either don't acknowledge or destroy anyone who dares to challenge their movies.
Their recent shows are highly overrated and formulaic; especially the live action ones.
And despite being repetitive, only adding gay, race, and gender diversity when the specific group calls for it, and overall being despicable, people will still eagerly anticipate whatever crap they churn out and praise it for being edgy and new and diverse.
>>
>>93273196
Half of my e-friends are from other countries, so you're wrong/edgy there.
>>
>>93274246
>e-friends

yeah, it's all great when they're separate
>>
>>93274287
Ow, the edge.
>>
>>93254592
So basically give incentives for murderers
>>
>>93273263
Confuses the fuck out of me, because I've heard talks by those in the story department at Disney. They're always talking about how story takes so much time to develop and "get right", but these past few movies have shared too many elements.
>Awkward, quirky female protagonist trying to find her way (Judy, Moana, Anna)
>Twist villain (fuck this one)
>Frozen, Zootopia, and Moana all start out with a wide-eyed childhood scene.
>Always a scene where the main characters are pissed at each other and then get back together not even 15 minutes later.
Don't get me wrong, I'm still a huge fan, even of these movies, but it's at the point of being stale now. The only good twist villain was Turbo, because I actually didn't see it coming.
>>
>>93255458
Alice in Wonderland is in the public domain. Sure you get some crappy remakes, but over all artists are free to experiment with the characters.
>>
>>93275340
The only problem I see when it comes to anyone else tackling these old stories is that they will ALWAYS be compared to the version Disney did. I wouldn't be surprised as to that's why no else has done them lately.
>>
>>93275718
That just means the risk to Disney is minimal even if their IPs entered into the public domain
>>
>>93273263
Te'Ka was mentioned and show in the fucking opening act. It had build-up, it just had no relevance for most of the movie other than being the last obstacle they knew they would eventually face.
>>
I wouldn't touch anything about the early ones. But I wish instead of "experimenting" with CGI and doing all the pop-culturey stuff they do now, they experimented with more episodic stories, and kept with traditional animation (maybe one trad.ani. movie every 3 years, you know?). Also, less "princess" movies, I agree with the poster on monarchism, don't undo the old ones like Snow White, but I just don't think we need a Snow Queen movie where the royalty is the protagonist.
>>
Winning an Oscar nearly every fucking time, even for movies that didn't deserve it (Brave, Big Hero 6, etc.)
>>
>>93254522
Disney sequels
>>
>>93254522
It's fucking untouchable. I don't see how they could go down the shitter other than a nuclear holocaust occurring.
>>
>>93279478
Nah, I'm sure they've got some bunkers.
>>
>>93254522
Their monopoly on the animation industry is annoying. Every movie they make is guaranteed to get a prize, even if it's shitty, like Frozen.
>>
>>93279325
Walt Disney Animation Studios didn't win any Academy Awards in Animated Features until 2014 (2013 season). Even Tangled wasn't nominated for an Oscar.

Case in point- the Academy Awards are crap to animation.
>>
File: 2010oscars.png (67 KB, 1057x619)
67 KB
67 KB PNG
>>93283524

hey, you're correct.
>>
>>93283524
Disney and Pixar are for all intents and purposes the same thing.
>>
>>93286756

careful with these words, you're gonna get scolded.

just merge already
>>
>>93254522
Easily their live-action line and the constant remakes. It's the most blatant display of corporate greed I have ever seen. There's no heart put into any of it, there's no attempt to actually improve upon what made the original animated movies good. It's just a strictly inferior product made solely to cash-in on nostalgia and people's belief that live-action is always better than animated.

What sucks is that this is taking place right when Disney's actual animation studio is the best it's been in years. It just leaves a sour taste in my mouth that their latest films might have crappy live-action counterparts of their own someday out of sheer creative bankruptcy. I mean they're even planning a live-action Winnie the Pooh movie for fucks sake, nothing is sacred anymore.
>>
File: swiss robinson.jpg (55 KB, 354x500)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>93287503
I wonder what would happen if they took their old well known classic live action films and made animated adaptations of of them.

I know they've tried making updated live action remakes of a few like Escape to Witch Mountain, but those rarely seem to work out.
>>
>>93287503

>making Le Fou gay in the live action remake just to please some irrelevant minority

it adds nothing to the plot, so why bother? What do they gain from this?
>>
>>93287503
>Easily their live-action line

Worst part? They're profitable because people are STUPID.
>>
>>93288238

cashing in on nostialgia. why do you think we're getting rennisance remakes now?
>>
>>93273263
>I'm getting tired of how gynocentric disney movies are
Their largest market is probably little girls
>>
File: next sequel in line.jpg (30 KB, 450x450)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>93288682
>Their largest market is probably little girls

and their moms.
>>
>>93286584

Never was I more infuriated than when WiR was overlooked in favor of fucking Brave.
>>
>>93254522
The songs. They never work for me.
>>
>>93286756
The movies are different. I like Pixar less because they often try to hard to make something sad. Also their quality is down for years.
>>
File: 1497599229954.jpg (543 KB, 2554x3835)
543 KB
543 KB JPG
Having a thread for Disney hate is retarded. Even Disney makes great decisions sometimes.
>>
>>93289245

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/06/how-pixar-lost-its-way/524484/

they arent really different, also both of these studio have a hardon for "sad" scenes like crazy.
>>
>>93255104
I doubt Comcast is interested in Felix being public domain, even if they just sit on him
>>
>>93270441
Lady and the Tramp says hi
>>
>>93275718
No one can top Hanna-Barbera's version anyway
>>
>>93288166
>What do they gain from this?
Controversy. Remember all the headlines for Le Fou? Disney didn't make him gay just for the hell of it or for any actual representation, they just did it to drum up controversy for the movie and getting free advertising for it.

They know that clickbait gets all the viewers and act accordingly.
>>
>>93288166
>>93290369
Wasn't this just a dumb dancing scene? Why are people upset about this? Who the fuck cares.
>>
>>93274471
Copyrights don't terminate immediately after death. I believe the current waiting period is 90 years after death for an individual, and over 100 if the rights were sold to a corporation.
>>
You can only buy what's for sale.

Disney's cardinal sin is that, with a few exceptions in their feature film department, they are boring, shallow, and creatively stagnant.
>>
>>93255479
Even if you think it's not necessarily Disney's usage of copyright that is harmful to people, you have to remember that Disney supporting and lobbying for those laws to be passed is that enabled other businesses to be pricks about them, and it gave more and more power to MPAA and the likes.
>>
>>93254522
"If you are a good person, good things will eventually happen to you."
>>
>>93291901
Hear hear.
Fuck that tripe.
>>
>>93291901
Dee is walking proof of that, though.
>>
>>93289267
Fuck off. We're here because we just want to vent about our misgivings towards Disney. Oftentimes hating on things is fun.
>>
>>93288682
This. They bought Star Wars and Marvel for the boy demographic. They're keeping their animated films targeted at girls, regardless of how they say everything they do is for "everyone."
>>
>>93294304
Zootopia wasn't originally supposed to have Judy as the protagonist, but the writers thought an optimistic cop from the sticks trying to love the city was more positive than make it big & do it slick cynic falling to the underbelly of the metropolis.

There's still Big Hero 6, Wreck-it Ralph, & Gigantic, but I would not be surprised (disgusted albeit) if Disney decided to make the protagonist of Gigantic be Inma the giant eleven-year-old girl.
>>
>>93271040
Or just don't sell your IP to Disney.

The family of the author who wrote Tarzan that manages his estate denied Disney further use of it. He also wrote the Princess of Mars series as well.

Nothing is stopping anyone from creating new intellectual property or finding fairy tales and 'Disney-ing' them up, like Brave, that Disney didn't touch yet. I'm surprised there isn't someone trying to capitalize on Chinese or other Asian stories seeing as Disney only did Mulan and nothing else.
>>
>>93294623

actually, thre's a problem who's the target audience of that movie, it's about, bunny, female, who's doing boyish things like wanting to be a cop.
>>
>>93294623
Gigantic is still being made? I thought that got cancelled after BFG flopping hard.
>>
>>93295652
they still need to "find a story in that setting"
or else they'll have to rush things like with Zootopia.
>>
>>93295680
I wish they did King of the Elves instead. I want to see how Disney does Philip K. Dick.
>>
>>93295871

after WiR and Frozen sequels there's some not-named movie planned. Maybe it's your dream coming true.
>>
>>93255078
but he is right, skinfag
>>
>>93294623
You can have a film targeted at girls and still have the protagonist be a boy. I'd agree that Big Hero 6 and Wreck-it Ralph lean more towards "boy films," and it's hard to say how Zootopia would have turned out, but I absolutely think Gigantic is going to come off as a more "girly" movie whether Jack is the main focus or not. But again, Disney will always say "our movies have appeal for the whole family," no matter what, so it's sometimes hard to argue which gender they're targeting more. If you look at the merchandise, though, I think you'll find there's a lot more generally more suited to girls all around no matter which film.
>>
>>93294827
>or finding fairy tales and 'Disney-ing' them up

But the same principle that allows us to adapt old fairy tales should eventually apply to contemporary works as well. It'd for example be pretty shitty if L. Frank Baum had owned a company that was still around and wouldn't let anybody use The Wizard of Oz for anything.
>>
>>93295871
This movie won't turn out the same if they don't hurry up and make it before Morgan Freeman is no longer able to act.
>>
>>93296750
>Wreck-it Ralph lean more towards "boy films,"

Gotta disagree. The movie Wreck it Ralph went to shit the instant Sarah Silverman was introduced. She was an unlikable brat that derailed the movie into being about her and getting HER way. Ralph was a glorified sidekick for her or her errand boy. That killed the movie for me.

Yes, that's totally what boys want in a movie, to be servants of a shitty twat. And Big Hero 6 while a better offering for boys still had Little Miss "Woman Up!!!" It's like Disney can't help themselves they GOT to twist concepts that appeal to males into appealing to women. Didn't the recent Cars 3 also have a story about the main protagonist mentoring a woman car? I thought cars were something men loved now it's feminized.

Whether major or minor, Disney changes its films to satisfy twats.
>>
>>93296529

unfortunately all of these people are indoctrinated, otherwise they wouldn't work on a movie that supports BLM and justifies violence against white people.Sure they changed their minds, but there's bitter aftertaste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3pF9owYlRI
This company is simply horrible.
>>
>>93296750
>Disney will always say "our movies have appeal for the whole family," no matter what, so it's sometimes hard to argue which gender they're targeting more

Single Motherhood is the standard in the United States of America. Because of this by "Family Friendly" Disney means "Single Mother Friendly" so their films are Gynocentric.
>>
>>93296919

but it's only black people. why would disney pander only to them?
>>
>>93296839
I wouldn't use quite the same wording but I actually sort of agree. However, Vanellope's addition (as an early concept, rather than how it turned out) to WiR and Honey and Gogo's addition to BH6 serves a function to fill that "all inclusive" marketing policy I've been talking about, which is something they do pretty superficially to make sure that parents don't think the movies will turn their kids gay while also more or less being more appealing to a specific gender. So Gogo and Honey pretty much exist so that people don't complain the movie is a sausage fest and so that girls have something to like in it.

Movies more focused on girls do the same thing. Maui's inclusion in Moana and Eugene's presence in Tangled (which they chose not to name Rapunzel specifically because they were scared it would scare boys away) provide a similar function. Now, you can say that Maui and Eugene are still "subservient" to the female protagonists of these films, which is arguably true, and you may also argue that that makes them less than ideal as male role models, maybe, in a sense. But more importantly, in another sense, they are still serving as the sidekicks to their main characters, much like Vanellope, Honey, and Gogo do. And their roles can be omitted or don't need to be as big as they are, and you can see they conceptually exist at least in part to get boys butts in seats.
>>
>>93293218
>Oftentimes hating on things is fun.
I guess you've never seen me post about Marvel then.
How about you shit on Marvel whenever you wanna shit on Marvel instead of keeping it to one thread like you're a horsefucker and this is the containment board. Be free to be who you wanna be, Anon. There's only one of you. You need to show us who you are. Express your feelings. Get a trip and be as autistic as I am.
>>
File: 1401722439769.gif (1.93 MB, 356x266)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB GIF
>>93263549
I always supported them
>>
>>93270828
>>93254947
Conversely, I hate all the 'progressive' filth they push nowadays
>>
>>93297092

dunno about Tangled but Maui was supposed to be protagonist of this movie, and Moana wasnt even an idea yet, apparently little girls asked disney to make an "XL" princess. so they got one.
>>
>>93296529
>>93296911
You'll notice that Lefties are drones for Disney and Harry Potter

Seriously, they never shut up about those two things and now they've got Star Wars too

You know, I was never opposed to female protagonists in any sense, certainly not in Star Wars, but the pushing and harping on and on about it has become so blatant and I'm just sick of it. I can't look at anything without seeing their message and that is just considering cases where they are shouting their message in the streets. They determined to fight a culture war and the more they've been given the louder and more hostile they've become.
>>
>>93297350
Moana's barely a size L. She's just has a little more thicc than the typical size 0.
>>
>>93255051
>is everybody chomping at the bit to make Mickey Mouse Cartoons?
Imagine you get millions of dollars in fines for copying an avi of a Mickey Mouse cartoon to your hard drive because it's not in the public domain
>>
File: Moana2016.webm (605 KB, 1920x800)
605 KB
605 KB WEBM
>>93297350
>Moana
>Size XL

What?
>>
>>93297813
>coordination moves.

hard to pull off
>>
>>93294304
>Star Wars
>boy demographic

You saw the last movies?
>>
>>93299186

yeah, but they are better than prequels!!
>>
>>93297310
>this character would be impossible to exist nowadays, too much boobs, too much sexy, too much feminity... moralfags and feminist will complain to death, look how Judy Hops is... it's like we are afraid to show sexy femenine characters (furry or not furry) in the media...
>>
File: 1478283996949.jpg (20 KB, 266x286)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>93299313
>yeah, but they are better than prequels!!

BOI
>>
>>93297248
Oh, I do take my bashing elsewhere, but it's like going to the movies. It's more fun when you are watching it with people of the same interests.
>>
>>93297655
Yeah like the feds care about individuals downloading properties for personal use...
>>
>>93273263
Not really a complaint but I don't get why modern CG films put so much effort into minuscule details like thread count on a pair of paints to the individual strands of hair on a head.
It's detailed to the point that it doesn't even seem to be worth the effort.

I think more films should be like Captain Underpants, in that it takes advantage of the medium to create a truly visually unique experience.
>>
>>93254522
Disney pandering to this kind of crap.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_57e0c4cde4b08cb14097b892
>>
File: 1490796505559.jpg (274 KB, 1920x1080)
274 KB
274 KB JPG
>>93300508
I'll never get what went so wrong with people to become like this. How did people start to become such pussified pansy-asses who get offended at the slightest breeze for the most inane and minuscule stuff? How do these people live being angry all the time? How do they even live their daily life when whenever they go out they will find something offensive somehow?
>>
>>93254522

Its morals are socially degenerative.
>>
>>93264773

I say "gal"

But I live in the south, so
>>
File: dancing.jpg (38 KB, 716x388)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
Why are mice so nice?
>>
>>93255037
Make us want to fuck rodents and turn the frogs gay
>>
>>93300425
Because why not? Otherwise we'd be stuck with Jimmy-Neutron levels of CGI
>>
>>93301608
I have nothing against improvements in CG technology, but there's nothing visually memorable about stuff like your post.

It has as much of an impression as Madagascar.
>>
>>93301800
Well, I like seeing well textured fur and wool effects on a sheep, like how it should be. It shows how the creators had an incredible attention to detail.
>>
>>93301800
The only memorable thing about Zootopia was the CG.
>>
>>93303091
true, Juddy is cute, ok, but if she would be made in the 80-90's she would be much better character in personality and body design.

I really hate the nowadays moralism, a world full of pussies and no creative freedom
>>
>>93303323

>1) Hate their own sexual interest in the female form. Which is why we get so many ugly lazily design angular geometric female characters these days while also lacking the right curves like breasts.

Sticking an animal head onto a human body is the epitome of bad character design, you didn't see Minnie Mouse sporting a rack in the 1920s.
Makers of Zotoopia were going for biological fidelity, not furry fantasies.
>>
>>93296529
>Disney Pussy Begs and makes shit only for women

I didn't know Big Hero 6 and fucking Wreck-It Ralph was aimed at women.
>>
>>93296839
>Ralph was a glorified sidekick for her or her errand boy.

So by this logic, Boo was the protagonist of Monsters Inc. and is driven by feminist propaganda.
>>
>>93255625
say that to my fucking face irl and see what happens m8
>>
File: 13844349936827_997x0.jpg (266 KB, 997x702)
266 KB
266 KB JPG
>>93303323
...and it's true, for an entire generation Princess Bubblegum will be sadly the hottest thing for them, it's like we live in a Franco's Spanish fascist dictatorship I wonder if this formless-non femenine female characters have a conection with the rise of thicc in the erotic art
>>
>>93301800
Madagascar has great character designs though
>>
File: 13844349945117_997x0.jpg (240 KB, 997x713)
240 KB
240 KB JPG
>>93303618
>>
File: cen.jpg (199 KB, 550x350)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
>>93303618
>>
>>93303618
>>93303710
>>93303823

One day thanks to feminism/moralists this will be a reality again, in fact we are not to far from it...
>>
>>93303603
Anna is so lousy Elsa & Olaf are the mascots of Frozen despite both combined appearing less than her.
>>
>>93303823
For once I gotta say the skankier edition on the left is probably better suited for action than the one on the left. The skirt & sleeves are going to inhibit her movement.
>>
>>93304472
>For once
>>
>>93304603
Think Kate Upton in Game of War commercials. No armor, just lots of skin on her chest. Not practical unless if your opponent will be too busy eye-fucking you to strike.
>>
>>93286756
No, they really aren't. It's like saying all rectangles are squares. A Pixar movie is Disney, but a Disney movie is not usually Pixar. Pixar has its own animation farm & its own catalog of objects. You wouldn't see a Luxo Lamp or star ball or Pizza Planet Truck in a WDAS production.
>>
>>93305167
Pixar and WDAS remain distinct but they have the same leadership and a lot of Pixar has rubbed off on WDAS (even the "Animation Studios" portion of the name came from Pixar Animation Studios)
>>
>>93305396
This. Right now both are under the same management (Lasseter), but they are separate entities. Same roof, different rooms.
>>
>>93304718
why you think about this stuff? just enjoy good looking woman, seriously, what is nowadays problem with western men?
>>
>>93305920
I'm a woman, so...
>>
File: Spoiler Image (336 KB, 1280x720)
336 KB
336 KB PNG
>>93303168
and disturbing backstory
>>
>>93306247
well, ok, that explains a lot...
>>
>>93306326
the electric device thing would be nice, sad to see it went to trash because muh kids, it's like nowadays kids are not allowed to see/know bad things in the world, like they need to be rised inside a bubble
>>
>>93306411

i do agree it would be unique experience, but fuck the whole idea. It's like some gay fetish dream
>>
>>93263028
ironic given highly the common public PRAISE Disney's animation.
>>
>>93299388

except they still do

but the worst part is how people like yourself complain about how people will hate stuff like this, and then go off on femenism, liberation and slutdom which is why stuff is harder to find

unless it is being used as a part of a larger charector to deconstruct those kinds of women (which may be the real reason for not seeing those portrayals anymore) it kind of is pointless
>>
>>93308933
They've managed to establish the notion that their aesthetic is the "best"
>>
>>93309057
>>93308933
John K. may be a complete jackass, but he's absolutely right about how Disney almost completely sterilized American cartoons through CalArts (by this I mean the actual university, not the meme that people blame current visual trends in TV cartoons on).
>>
>>93254522
I really hate the Disney can do no wrong attitude some have.
also this >>93254592
>>
>>93254522
Their cartoons altogther.
>>
>>93254522
New Star Wars, cancelling Wander over Yonder.
>>
>>93254592
This.
>>
>>93301179
Animators are horny and so are we.
>>
>>93313809
shit's stressful as fuck, drawing same shit over and over
>>
>>93258136
This.

30 years, billions of characters, worlds, and stories that helped me and a lot of others through good times and bad, In one of the most ambitious creative projects in history destroyed for shit remakes and bad stories.
>>
>>93314601
Did we really need a novel detailing how Han's woodoo hide boots were made?
>>
That they killed traditional theatrical animation over a Black Princess and an under advertised Pooh sequel
>>
>>93275186
could you give examples of these talks?
>>
>>93315012
maybe there's something in >>93296911
>>
>>93314601
And nothing of value was lost.
>>
>>93254522
The fact they like Marvel (which they own) are the world leaders in animation and comic profits. Pisses me so off they are so popular and make so much money, so that makes me hate them. If less people enjoyed their work, if it was more niche and underground Asian shit then I would love them, until they became popular.
>>
>>93254522
Honestly, I can't hate Disney for all their grubby money-swindling practices. They have my respect for that.

I hate the need for the kind of drama in recent Disney movies. It never feels genuine anymore. Everything needs to be deep and epic when it really has no need to be. Especially in the live action remakes. Why did there have to be a battle sequence at the end of Alice in Wonderland? Why does the Jungle Book need deep lore? It's all very clearly uninspired and meant to yank the elements successful in other movies. All to make it seem like a big deal, without actually putting effort into the craft.

Like Tangled and Frozen for example. Tangled was focused, tying in exposition briefly and wonderfully and generally just to move the plot forward. With this the conclusion ultimately feels more rewarding, because the circumstances were surrounding a single story and extra elements outside the main characters just built the stakes of the main story.

Fucking Frozen we have literally a mustache twirling villain, who's only purpose is to distract from the "true villain" in the story, who wasn't even really necessary in the first place. Imagine if Frozen was just about Anna trying to get Elsa back. That's it. Elsa loses control and makes winter come in June, making her flee. Anna tries to go convince Elsa to return. Just when you think Elsa is ready to try and make peace, she accidentally loses control and hurts Anna like she did in the past. The townspeople get together and try to get rid of Elsa, because of the whole winter in june situation and Anna's affliction they consider her the ultimate threat. Anna freezes trying to come between the townspeople and Elsa. Then the ending they had would have made more sense with a bigger impact, because the story was just about their relationship. Instead the movie is just fucking all over the place. Disney needs to cut the crap.
>>
File: no dignity.jpg (24 KB, 499x500)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>93315313

Frozen's production was a mess, we all know that, but it paid off for Disney. Maybe thank to 'Let It Go" and/or maybe snowstorms. Who knows.
>>
>>93255078
it doesn't take much other than someone threatening you to whittle off your chirper, huh?
>>
File: 1497891451419.jpg (111 KB, 650x479)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>93314601
>30 years, billions of characters, worlds, and stories
That made THIS the reason the Yuuzhan Vong when Vong ho on the Galaxy
>>
>>93254522
>Sequel after sequel after sequel
This was especially bad in the 90's, like when the sequel to Atlantis was just a bunch of episodes from the spinoff cartoon stapled into a feature length film.

It's not as bad now but they still milk the most popular of their character franchises until there is nothing left but a desiccated husk.

>This
>>93254592
Enough is enough. The only people really interested in profiting off the Mouse outside of Disney are already blowing off the copyright, so it's essentially useless
>>
File: Ralph2poster.jpg (54 KB, 220x257)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>93316556
these were DTV sequels, that were simply shrugged off/

but now we're getting a full features, meant for the big screen. K, I can understand Frozen getting a sequel, it's profitable as fuck. but why WiR 2? That movie had decent story and solid closure.So... why?!
There was one movie i really wanted to see sequel of because of interesting setting, but it seems it's not happening, and it's fine, 2 sequels is already alot.
>>
>>93315377
I think Elsa has a lot to do with the film's success too. The concept and design of the character have a wide range of appeal. She's the real mascot of the movie, more than Olaf definitely.
>>
File: FROZEN2.jpg (233 KB, 1280x720)
233 KB
233 KB JPG
>>93316718
>rich
>beatiful
>powerful
>irresponsible

Yeah, a woman every girl wants to be.
>>
File: dogt02.jpg (46 KB, 480x288)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>93254522
>wasted dubs.
>no Laika hate thread
>>
>>93306411
>the electric device thing would be nice, sad to see it went to trash because muh kids
they said the removal wasn't because "muh kids" but because there was no desire on the part of the audience to save zootopia when it was such a hellhole. It could work in a sequel i guess when we've already established the city.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (128 KB, 1280x720)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>93254522
One of their worst sins is not defending their IPs against these fuckers. If these fuckers touched anything |_/\||</\ related, I will blow their heads off and bury them where they won't be found.
>>
>>93255104
>My feelings is that if a property is still being actively used like Mickey Mouse or Snow White then it should remain copyrighted. But obscure works that haven't been made into other media or merchandise is fair use, so something like Felix the Cat would be public domain.

This is what trademarks are for. Mickey is trademarked so nobody could use him if his original shorts fell into PD anyway. Disney is literally doing this out of spite.
>>
File: d23_2013.jpg (39 KB, 680x478)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>93317032

It was obvious from the start, the fact they latched to it for two years is the scary part.
Went something like this: "it's gonna work! it's gonna work! it's gonna work! Fuck! it's not gonna work." Wasted so many months, resources and money on a movie only a handful of people were willing to watch. Plus it was kinda bizarre, in on scene you were supposed to laugh at the characters misery and other feel sad for them for the same exact reason: he/she was tortured.
>>
>>93315377
>'Let It Go"
As an aside, did Moana have a villain song? Because if not I will forever despise Frozen for killing villain songs in Disney movies.
>>
>>93317520

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93lrosBEW-Q

duh.
>>
>>93314601
No one cares except MUH 70s MOVIES nerds though
>>
>>93317591
That sound gets lodged in my brain so god damn much.
And I like it
>>
>>93317229
But the character is still being used to this day! This isn't some character that hasn't made an appearance in fifty plus years!
>>
>>93315155
Is that what your mom said when you told her you were gay?
>>
>>93317627
>no one cares except the fans who made Star Wars the behemoth it was.

Well, you're not wrong...
>>
>>93317032
>no desire on the part of the audience to save zootopia when it was such a hellhole
That bad?
>>
File: 960879824.jpg (322 KB, 1280x1051)
322 KB
322 KB JPG
>>93318654

you were supposed to see the world from the eyes of a character that has teaser permanently attached to his neck, that triggers when he gets too angry, too sad, or too joyful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHURiOqMVTI
>>
>>93318778

wrong link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqlaPttudUc

this world is not worth saving, nor even entering.
>>
>>93318213
Yeah, and all the new property with him would still be protected. But Steamboat Willy the short is old enough that it's really not something you should have to pay to watch or get permission to use in original content like documentaries or remixes anymore. It's no longer just a commercial property and is now more a literal piece of history. They've milked it for all its worth and it's time to just let go already.

And if you want to talk about property rights, it's already just a ripoff of Steamboat Bill anyway.

More importantly, though, again, is that the law is forced to umbrella out and effect everything during and after that one marker whether it wants to be "protected" or not. Mickey is the start of the whole thing but it's much bigger than just him, because as a law it effects more than just Disney.
>>
>>93319026
I'd be cool if Disney could make their oldest properties available in archives & such for free, but I wouldn't expect them to release such media in the best remastered quality.

So are you saying that if Steamboat Willy becomes public domain, the character of Mickey does too despite being used in the present?
>>
>>93300570
Just to clarify, who are you talking about?
>>
>>93319146
No, Mickey as a character is trademarked. Like how the Snow White story and basic character is public domain because it's an old fairy tale but Disney's design with the yellow skirt and blue top with puffy sleeves is trademarked and can't be too obviously copied.
>>
>>93320688
Oh, well, then why not have an old film like Steamboat Willy in the public domain? It's literally free advertising!
>>
>>93317229
>Mickey is trademarked so nobody could use him if his original shorts fell into PD anyway.

Factually incorrect. The courts have proven that Trademark cannot be used to prevent new works like Copyright does.

This is a good thing. Copyright is Copyright. Trademark is Trademark.

>>93318213
You are a fucking moron and really need to kill yourself.
>>
>>93316718
Fucken kek at Anna
>>
>>93254522
Its shameless social justice political bullshit, boycotting states over their first amendment religious rights and getting rich off of cheap foreign labor at the expense of American labor.

It's a nightmare they now own Star Wars.

Fuck Disney.
>>
>>93321926
Boycotting states? Which ones & since when?
>>
>>93320688
Actually Snow White's design from the Disney movie is being protected by copyright. Not trademark.

The character is public domain. The Disney version is currently protected by copyright. When the copyright ends, anybody can make works with Disney's version Snow White anyway they please. (Beyond the few minor trappings of Trademark law that the public has to be made aware that it's not made by Disney)

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.