[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: The-Thing-Poster.jpg (276 KB, 1061x1600)
276 KB
276 KB JPG
If The Thing alien infected a city in DC or Marvel Universe would they be fucked? or could they stop it?

Remember It blends in perfectly and can copy any creature it assimilates perfectly.
It can spread easily from being to being just through cells.
Every part of it is alive and must be destroyed.
And it's incredible smart to the point it can make working UFOs out of helicopter parts and pieces from a shed.

It's honestly the most the deadly creature in all of fiction if you ask me and I think most of the heroes in both DC and Marvel would die or be infected.
Even if it can't infect some heroes I still think the planet and more would be fucked as The Thing spreads and consumes all organic life it finds.

And god only knows if it could possible mimic the powers of super heroes.
Now that's a scary thought.
>>
I dont think it could copy powers

But it would hit the streets and slowly take over the populous with pretty much the entire nation being THINGS would make it hard for any hero to stop it

As for copying powers I don't think it could and we know fire is the only weakness it has
>>
File: the_thing_by_crazieburd.jpg (748 KB, 685x1000)
748 KB
748 KB JPG
>>95972324
Well yeah it couldn't infect someone like the human torch probably.
But I think a lot of other heroes could be infected.
It copies it's victims perfectly to the DNA so I honestly think heroes like Spiderman and The Green Lantern could be infected and still use their powers.
>>
If the Thing were to hit a major city, all life is pretty much over.
best option from there would have to completely obliterate all life and then start over with clean humans/animals.
and EVEN then you might not be sure since the thing could have infected a fish and they'll be underwater monsters lurking about waiting for the population to grow back.

basically, Exterminatus the whole planet.
>>
>>95972379
If GL gets infected, does the ring work with The Thing's will or Hal's?
>>
X Parasite vs The Thing
>>
Dr. Strange looks up, sighs in frustration, then magics up a solution before getting back to his coffee and email.
>>
>>95972428
I want a story where everything goes to shit and the world is fucked and Dr. Strange just fixes it because magic.
>>
File: disney_the_thing.jpg (306 KB, 877x815)
306 KB
306 KB JPG
>>95972379
Well it does have some strength when it get big enough but since GL's ring is powered by will I don't think it will work

>>95972400

Pretty harsh anon
>>
>>95972422
>X Parasite vs The Thing

Your dubs have made me curious about would they fight each other or join one another making them more unstoppable then we could imagine
>>
>>95972080
Beast could up with a "vaccine". Pym and Reed the same. Tony could deliver nanobots that would destroy it. It wouldn't be a big threat, really.
>>
DC: Depends on how close to Metropolis it touches down and how loud it wants to be, Superman will be able to pick out anyone it's impersonating and can burn it either completely or to where it's weak enough for him to put it in the fortress
>>
I'd be cool to see The Thing fight Plastic Man.
>>
>>95972080
If we're making this a Thing story we pretty much have to make assumptions in favor of the Thing. Let it assimilate powers and we're that much further into "we're fucked" territory and that's where we need to be for this to work.

Fundamentally alien critters like Superman, the Metal Men, fully sapient Iron Man Armors and such would be a problem, especially the ones that can hit back. Brainiac would take a look at the infestation, giggle and go "oooh, shiny!"

Oh, and creatures like the Shrike, late Blood Music infestation and any Culture warship are quite a bit nastier IMO.
>>
>>95972080
DC:Firestorm saves the day
Marvel:Human torch saves the day
>>
>>95972080
Rogue Flash heatwave , suicide Squad el diablo
>>
>>95973063
How are they going to detect every infected creature?
Its a perfect mimic and copies it's victims down to the DNA.
The only way to tell between human and Thing is through a blood test.
The Thing would do everything in it's power to keep hidden and slowly infect as many life forms as it possibly can.
>>
>>95973177
Again they can kill the Thing yes.
But they have to find it first by the time they killed one Thing the entire country could be infected.
>>
>>95973177

Going after the fire users first would probably be its priority after infecting a couple of cities
>>
>>95972080
The SECOND that the thing infects an airborn insect, all life on Earth is irreversibly doomed. Every living animal from blue whales to microbial bacteria are vectors and nothing but total destruction of the planet can stop it if the Thing gets out of Antarctica.
>>
What if it got to ghost rider?
>>
>>95972498
>I haven't seen the movie or don't really understand how it works.
>>
>>95973235

Can it get bacteria I mean we know it can be a blood cell
>>
>>95973182
Is DNA camouflage implied in the remake movie? Original short story and Carpenter's movie had no such capability in the base for obvious reasons.
>>
The plot of the film is "If it gets out of Antarctica we're fucked". World is consumed in less than a month, I think in the movie they say a week?

It's not because of humans, its because of animals. No superhero would be able to stop it.
>>
>>95972400
This. The only reason humanity even stands a chance in The Thing is because we lucked out and the fucker crash-landed in the most isolated, least populated region on the entire planet.

Drop him down in the middle of a populated city center and boom, within a few days all the rats, strays, and homeless will be converted and from there it's just exponential growth and assimilation.
>>
>>95973322
They showed the DNA "looked" human but in contact with real human blood and it would quickly assimilate the human cells.
As I said its the perfect mimic.
>>
>>95973278
Well, good nanotech should fuck the Thing up even on a planetary level, but the collateral damage should be grotesque. Forcibly upload everything and everyone, annihilate Earth, build new Earth with anti-Thing safeguards in place, download with edits to account for missing time, pretend nothing happened, futurism.
>>
>>95973308
A bacterium is an individual organism consisting of one cell. The Thing copies the structures and functions of individual cells.
>>
File: 1489274267905.png (60 KB, 332x241)
60 KB
60 KB PNG
>>95973362
The second it gets into the ocean if when were truly fucked.

>Will go to fish to fish and probably infect the entire ocean in weeks.
>Impossible to stop as we can't tell real fish from fake.
>No way to really kill The Things in the water as we can't use fire.
>It will quickly go onto the shores of every major country and infect everything.
>>
>>95973379
Well, perfect except if someone hurts it it will start sprouting tentacles and shit. And I strongly doubt superscience (or even normal science with the time we wouldn't have) won't be able to make a test.
>>
>>95972483
>When damaged, X-Parasite reverts to floating gel form
>When damaged, Thing's body mutates to compensate
Honestly, it'd probably act like the thing, but without the weakness to fire
>>
>>95973355
It's a frighteningly real estimate of about 500 days to assimilate ALL life on Earth. Every living organism.
The Thing is a biological apocalypse.
>>
File: TeridaxTerritorium.jpg (113 KB, 430x600)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>95972080
If The Thing gets to Tren Krom, shit gets real.
>>
>>95973431
Spoiler: Everyone on Earth were Things already, doing tentacle shit when we sleep. Only Japanese are fucked up enough to start noticing what's going on.
>>
File: The-Thing.jpg (106 KB, 1431x715)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>95973412
A lot of people theories the bigger the mass the smarter the Thing is.
Anything smaller then a bug only works on instinct and the bigger it get the more intelligent it becomes.
>>
>>95973436
What? No. One of the guys in the film "dies" from a heart attack and they make an incision on him for the biopsy and nothing sprouts UNTIL The Thing wants his anatomy to change, once the doc's hands are IN the man.
>>
>>95972422
Psh, try the Bydo.
>>
>>95972379

It doesn't copy the DNA, it replaces the DNA with its own. It wouldn't be able to utilize any powers that weren't a natural ability of a given form. I.e. It can fly if it makes wings or breathe underwater if it makes gills, but if it absorbed Spidey it would lose the powers that are in his radioactive blood because that blood would be replaced with Thing cells. As for the GL ring, it would bail because the Lantern in question is no longer the Lantern; it's the Thing.

Also, the Thing isn't really that smart. It acts like... Well, like a series of chained processors. A single small Thing is barely above animal intelligence, but the bigger it gets the more processing power it has. That's why the huge one in the movie kept fucking up -the more it split up to deal with shit, the dumber it got.
>>
Honestly, magic users are the biggest advantage comics have over the thing.
>>
You guys,the "Thing" as you call it is not a bad guy! It just wants to bring you all under one and bring in world peace! Now turn your AC up and crawl into bed and just forget about this nonsense.
>>
>>95973470
Yeah, there was that. It's the little ones that are proper retarded which makes sense.

It would seem implicit that Things can't detect each other.
>>
>>95973469
Sort of - the whole point of the infection is that it mimics the functions of the cells it assimilates, so the more complex the brain of the creature it assimilates, the more intelligent that particular Thing is.
>>
>>95972080
This is why Nazi Cap wanted the space wall
>>
>>95973469
Insects are relatively complex organisms, and already have a drive to infiltrate the space of other organisms to propagate. The Thing behaves similarly to a parasitic insect.

Are mosquitoes going to stop biting? How about bedbugs? Are houseflies going to stop invading homes? Fuck no. Now imagine every encounter you already have with insects and arachnids is potentially a chance for an alien entity to infect your body and kill you from the inside, replacing you at a microscopic level with an identical organism also driven to propagate by contacting other organisms.
Everything, everywhere, is fucked.
>>
>>95973551
But a space wall would need to cover the whole planet and would cause horrible natural disasters. What REALLY need is to give every earth citizen a flamethrower and the rights to wield one.
>>
>>95973523
This poster is The Thing. Do not trust him, or anyone else.
>>
>>95973470
No it copied that guy to perfectly to the point it got his bad heart.
It didn't intend to get a heart attack and when the doc started shocking his heart it hurt The Thing and The Thing retaliated
>>
Who would win the thing or pennywise
>>
>>95973623
Pennywise isn't biological, not really. Literal God had to step in and fuck him up.
>>
>>95973608
>This poster is The Thing. Do not trust him, or anyone else.
>>
>>95973663
Hey, I know I'm human!
>>
>>95973613
Oh yeah it was during the shocks, sorry, I misremembered. But still, there's nothing to indicate that it wasn't The Thing luring the guy into its "trap". The Thing does know its The Thing.
>>
>>95973681

Prove it
>>
>>95972080

Keep in mind that the Thing movies only show you how the creature(s) behaves when interacting with a very small group of humans in an entirely isolated environment. It'll play very differently once it gets to a readily-traversable densely populated landmass.

Its not going to reveal itself until it has a majority control, its too vulnerable otherwise. And in high-population areas, its going to have assimilated *millions* and still be the minority. So its going to take a much higher-level cooperation between the Things to grow and reach majority.

Think of, say, how the 1970s Invasion of the Body Snatchers played out. Same scenario, really, a disguising alien takes over humans. In the movie it didn't grow randomly like a spreading fungus, they sought out authority figures to take over human organizations to help them grow. Government agencies and businesses. You weren't going to know that the Body Snatchers were around until it was too late, and they were already well into the logistics of taking over the next area, the next town, the next continent.
>>
File: 1496164348643.png (1.64 MB, 1390x1134)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB PNG
>>95973523
Do not respond to Thing posters.
Do not come in contact with Thing posters.
Burn all Thing posters on sight.
>>
>>95973682
The Thing only knows it's The Thing if it's intelligent enough to be self-aware instead of just acting on base instinct. Dog-Thing is probably aware it's The Thing, but Blood Cell-Thing probably isn't.

Human-Thing is not only aware it's The Thing, but also learns how to better fit in and act less like The Thing, possibly so well it forgets it's The Thing.
>>
File: 1486656245103.png (67 KB, 1982x1133)
67 KB
67 KB PNG
>>95973698
Kinda difficult if we're typing on a Philipino crochet forum.
>>
File: Thousand-yard munch.gif (455 KB, 500x371)
455 KB
455 KB GIF
>>95972419
>A being that has literally one purpose in its existence gets a GL ring
Shit's dangerous, man
>>
>>95973776
Philipino haha. Just curious where that is haha.
>>
>>95973063
Yes firestorm. DCs resident fire hero. He's just like the human torch.
>>
>>95973762
>possibly so well it forgets it's The Thing.
I don't think this is a possibility. Blair, the smartest of the group, actually starts building a spaceship once he's The Thing. Clearly, this is some knowledge Blair can't have and must have come with The Thing, somehow. Be it via hivemind or whatever, we don't know. But this indicates that The Thing can give more knowledge to those he assimilates.
>>
>>95973718

Any individuals that discovered the truth were either ostracized or taken over, or both. There just wasn't much that a single person or a small group could do.

This is where it'd play differently in a comicbook world, a single human isn't going to stop the tide, a Superman just might. It depends on if they notice the quiet invasion occurring.

Even then... what would a Superman do? Most of LA is taken over and pods have been shipped around the country, what do you do? Well, maybe you could gather up the pods to stop the spread but you're likely looking at a complete loss of any infected areas, you carve out a moat all around California and then sterilize the state from orbit with heat vision.

If the infection is too widespread... you'd end up gathering as many non-infected as you could and you retreated to any area that could be reasonably defended. It might be Iceland or Madagascar. It might even be to the point of abandoning the earth.

Lets not even open the possibility of metahumans being taken over themselves. Once one gets into the Justice League or Avengers its probably game over.

A writer would probably pull a deux ex machina and have the Things unable to assimilate, say, kryptonian or martian biology, and they make a vaccine out of martian blood.
>>
>>95973810
It's a shitty island chain overrun by orange people who can't pronounce the name of their own island nation.
"Pillipeens"
>>
>>95973824
Firestorm, with his mollecular rearrangement, is probably the most effective non-magic user against The Thing though. He'd be one of the last to be assimilated.
>>
File: My_3e0b31_5625954.jpg (29 KB, 640x355)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>95973848
The Thing only acts like the beings it copied.
But in truth their pretty much dead and The Thing is just perfectly acting like them.
But it clearly has it own personality and intelligence since it knows how to make a working UFO
>>
>>95973718
>1970s Invasion of the Body Snatchers played out. Same scenario, really
Not really when one just replaces cells with its own and for the other you need to fucking sprout new copies. In the first case scenario, if you drink my soda or play a game of basketball and exchange sweat, you're done, in the latter you need to actively be taken away.
>>
>>95973861
Brown.
>>
I think the first thing The Thing would do is try to get to the Justice league watchtower and infect every major hero it can possibly infect.
It would want to make sure it gets rid of any potential threats before they become aware of its existence.
>>
>>95973933
The Thing really just needs to go around sneezing on people to infect everyone.
>>
>>95973859
It already consumed whole alien worlds. Martians and Kryptonians wouldn't be immune, it makes no sense.

Maybe a small enough amount of material could be stopped by a superhuman immune system, but if a Thing spews on Superman, Superman is done.
>>
I kinda wonder, what would happen if it reached total domination of a world. Would it develop it's own society or would it become Blob world?
>>
>>95973959
Most Filipno people I've met have a warm, rosy complexion.
It actually looks good. Is it weird that I think that? Whatever. Back to Thing talk.
>>
>>95973387
So, turn everyone digital and exist as nanobot meshes rather than flesh? Yeah that should stop The Thing from taking over.
>>
>>95974054
I assumed it would try to move to other worlds. The crashed alien ship was either infected on one world, where from the Thing departed into space to move to other planets, or was sent from a totally consumed world to find new worlds to consume.
>>
>>95974063
Isn't that the premise of "Soma"?
Because that's about as horrifying as the Thing.
>>
File: I need a drink.png (423 KB, 441x389)
423 KB
423 KB PNG
>The Thing with unassisted flight
>The Thing with Telekenisis
>The Thing that's fire retardant or just fire proof
>The Thing that can shapeshift like Plas, Mr. Fantastic, or Elastigirl
>The Thing with biomechanical enhancements that allow it to take control of machine
Let's say it took over The Borg.
>The Thing that is able to use magic
>>
File: 1486419068191.gif (289 KB, 150x150)
289 KB
289 KB GIF
>>95974136
>The Thing with all the powers of Superman.
>>
>>95974136
>>95974193
There is a hypothetical alternate timeline wherein all life in the observable universe has been consumed and the Thing is Sorcerer Supreme, as well as all other cosmic causal superentities.
>>
>>95972400
So your saying we'd have to nuke it from orbit? I suppose that's the only way to be sure.
>>
>>95974274
The Thing can assimilate all matter, but it would never be able to copy ethereal beings, which is why, at the end of the day, universes like DC, where non-material gods are real, will never be truly fully assimilated.
>>
>>95972080
if the thing infested any urban setting, it would be the end. Marvel, DC, harry potter....
if it infected crossed universe, it would be actually a blessing for it would end the crossed infection
>>
File: 1484106863749.jpg (51 KB, 306x338)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>95974398
>Crossed Thing.
>>
>>95974321
too many aliens mate.
>>
>>95974413
I doubt the crossed virus/shit can fuck the ubber collective mind of the thing.
eldritch horror beats fanboy rape fantasy
>>
>>95974321
The Thing has already taken other worlds. Every time you reach a new planet hospitable to life, there is a damn good chance that the entire sphere, from pole to pole, is the Thing.
>>
I think the presence of telepaths, magic and supertech would make the thing possible to deal with for a superpowered Earth.
It would be an event-tier problem and you'd see a colossal loss of life, but even without time travel or other reset buttons, I think the thing would lose.

>>95974122
No, in Soma you have copies of dead people "living" happily in a satellite for a few thousand years until the orbit degrades or the solar panels get dusted over.
>>
>>95974507
Now that's truly terrifying
>>
>>95974507
probably it already spread all around Earth.
any alien life form we meet will already be the Thing.
>>
File: 1488132475401.png (126 KB, 747x749)
126 KB
126 KB PNG
>>95974507
That's a scary thought of The Thing.
Theirs a big chance The Thing is all over the universe and The Thing from the movie is only a "part" of a larger horror.
>>
>>95974515
>I think the Thing would lose.
I disagree. Nothing short of editorial mandate could save Marvel or DC from The Thing. Supertech and telepaths can't stop the Common Cold or eliminate Malaria, they're sure as hell not going to be able to do shit about an intelligent, malicious micro-organism. If anything, it would only make the infection more effective and capable of spreading even faster.
Jean Grey become the Thing, and people from miles around will walk towards it to be assimilated WILLINGLY.
>>
>>95974598
>>95974632
>>95974661
It's like the Romulans, only actually, genuinely intimidating.
>>
>>95974663
Literally the only races I think could kill the thing are the Diamond people from Ben 10, The Crystal Gems or Any Transformer.
Otherwise the thing, unless it lands in a totally desolate landscape, wins. It's just too damn good.
>>
>>95974507
therefore the "victory" on Antarctica was a Pyrrhic delusion of few primitive apes.
yes apes, congratulate yourselves, The Thing is still there waiting.
>>
>>95974698
It really is overpowered. It's fun to think about crossovers, but logically every scenario ends with "everyone and everything everywhere is dead".
>>
>>95974632
>if things get big enough they become smart enough to develop philosophy and ethics and decide to chill out.
>>
>>95974698
I don't think they can beat it, more like "survive it".
I can imagine that if the thing existed in any of those universes, they would try to terminate all organic life out of fear. Autobots would never go to war with decepticons, they would stay together in the ever crusade to end all organic life
>>
>>95974731
>The Thing's philosophy and ethics amount to Manifest Destiny and they actively attack every inhabited world they can find.
>By their own metric, this is the most righteous and morally sound way of life.
>>
>>95974760
That sounds pretty cool actually. I could see a story where Optimus meets the AU version of himself with this morals totally reversed.
>>
File: 1484949274425.png (306 KB, 680x1325)
306 KB
306 KB PNG
>>95974698
Holy shit your right.
The Thing wouldn't be able to do shit to the gems.
If they think human life is gross wait ill they see The Thing.
>>
>>95974731
>>95974762
there is a greentext about it, from some fanfiction about how thing actually think it is a good thing to assimilate others, because it brings universal peace.
>>
File: 1497728538143.jpg (128 KB, 623x414)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>95974661
https://youtu.be/Ep_1k-lOto8?t=9m
>>
>>95974709
>"victory"
>Implying Childs wasn't The Thing at the end and MacReady isn't dead as fuck once the movie cuts away from that scene.
>>
>>95974829
Think if Steven became assimilated.
>>
>>95974847
I prefer the idea that MacReady died in the explosion, and that Childs was the only survivor. It's kind of contrarian, but that was a fuckhuge explosion to walk away from.
>>
>>95974829
Wait what? I don't watch SU, aren't the Gems organic rocks, from what I gather? Why would they be immune to assimilation?

>>95974698
Same goes for Diamond people. They're organic.
>>
File: 1484942419844.png (544 KB, 1124x631)
544 KB
544 KB PNG
>>95974870
Would he? isn't his body made out of light?
If he did get infected what would happen if Thing Steven fused with a gem?
>>
>>95974847
>>95974876
>in the end both were assimilated, but with such perfection that they would not reveal it to each other, because in the long plan, the thing was already planning a scenario when it would meet other humans, and would use both "survivors" to fool mankind into taking at least one of them to a urban area
the thing always wins
>>
File: 1505709790334.png (278 KB, 500x381)
278 KB
278 KB PNG
>Swamp Thing

pottery
>>
>>95974896
They're sentient rocks that project a body as a weird "hologram with mass". They're confirmed to be inorganic since their matriarch as well as pearl seems to have a distaste for organic life altogether.

I can't really speak for the diamond guys from Ben 10, I didn't pay much attention to it when I was a kid.
>>
File: a11.png (128 KB, 361x422)
128 KB
128 KB PNG
>>95974896
Gems are pretty much robots.
Their just living rocks that create human like bodies made out of soiled light.
The Thing can only assimilate organic life and gems are not organic,
>>
>>95974923
Then the thing COULD infect gems through forced fusion.
>>
>>95974876
>>95974932
It's an open ending, choose whatever suits your fancy.

The comic's not canon, fuck everyone who says it is.
>>
>>95974974
That or you could make a weird-as-hell dating sim.
>>
>>95975014
Why not both?
>>
>>95974663
How would Jean Grey get infected in the first place, though? If a micro-organism Thing has a mind, she can sense it and shut it down with telepathy.
If it doesn't have a mind, then it's too stupid to be subtle about the mass infection and you'll see quarantines or at least some degree of space evacuation put into place quickly as cities go dark.
>>
File: 1358426709891.gif (1.52 MB, 300x225)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB GIF
>>95974870
>Think if Steven became assimilated.
>things becomes a huge crying faggot who don't do anything without crying or singing about it first
>assimilation now must include a musical number, before and after

AND I THOUGHT I WAS SCARED BEFORE
>>
>>95975060
The Thing imitates its victims so well they may actually believe they are still human, from what the film implies.

The dude that denies being the thing until proven otherwise truly acted like him, imitating him to a T, to the point that one could believe he actually thought he was human.
>>
>>95974982
The game is canon.
Don't care what you say I liked it.
>>
File: 1496350809131.png (876 KB, 700x1000)
876 KB
876 KB PNG
>>95974840
And for added terror.
https://youtu.be/o1cXYan0NQA?t=5m20s
>>95975014
>>95974974
>A game where you play as Fluorite with a mission of assimilating Gems
>>
File: a40.gif (3.12 MB, 322x281)
3.12 MB
3.12 MB GIF
>>95975090
Good god even in threads like these people still wont shut about about Steven crying
>>
What about a Necromorph could it destory the thing
>>
>>95975090
>murdercock becomes a literal detachable murdercock that sings
>>
File: 1486486186412.jpg (172 KB, 797x866)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
>>95975155
No way.
They need a special type of Necromorph to infect other humans.
The Thing just needs to get one cell in your system and its over.
Plus the Thing is smart while Necromorphs are just monsters.
>>
>>95975155
Maybe if the Thing was in range of the marker, but the necromorphs themselves would get rekt.

>>95975097
Yeah but even if the brain was reconstructed perfectly enough that it would create a human's telepathic signature, some part of it had to know it was the thing, otherwise it wouldn't have been able to go active. Since it's smart enough to realize things like "oh shit I've been found out, time to drop the act" it seems reasonable to assume that it would have a mind that's detectable by a telepath.
>>
>>95972080
You guys are forgetting that in Marvel and DC there are gods, angels and demons all having a vested interest in the continuation of humanity and that are made of magic, not cells.
Once it does enough damage, God would send the Specter to burn all the comtamination with the Fires of Creation.

It would still cause some horrendous damage and contaminate a lot of heroes and villains, but it wouldn't kill everyone in the planet.

>>95972419
If the Thing existed in the DC universe, the GL ring would be programmed to automatically detect it and protect the wearer. If the wearer gets infected he's considered dead and the ring flies off, alerting the guardins to quarantine the planet and prepare Exterminatus.
The Guardians are god-like enough to be able to discern what is and isn't Thing, killing all the Thing in the planet and transplanting any survivors to a new planet open to refugees.

Also, I'm pretty sure Plastic Man and any martians would be immune to it.
>>
>>95975162
I've seen hell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QFwo57WKwg
>>
>>95973682
Does it though? Whenever the Thing reveals itself it turns into a weird clumsy monster in an extended transformation sequence no one takes advantage of, and then displays no capacity for speech. Like that infected doctor who was working on transport never said anything after we knew he was infected.

Like I'm pretty sure the Thing is actually not capable of direct impersonation it's just capable of projecting the host's consciousness as is as a cover, like the reason it's so effective is that even the hosts don't know they're assimilated
>>
Image the The thing infect Ben Tennyson or Aku
>>
What went wrong with this
>>
>>95973999

Or just walk into a group of people and fart really hard.
>>
>>95974663
>Supertech and telepaths can't stop the Common Cold or eliminate Malaria
Because common cold and malaria are not enemies in an event. They never even tried.
It would actually depend on if Reed, Doom and Stark get turned before discovering what's happening. If they discover and make preparations they can throw a self replicant nanobot cloud that kill Things and is programmed to stop after it finds no more Thing. Or if they believe Earth is lost, they make it go full Grey Goo with their own personality imprint and go into space to destroy the source of the Thing after sterilizing Earth.

Grey Goo>The Thing
>>
>>95975457
Aku is magic, not organic. Immune.
Ben is a scary thought. On the other maybe the Omnitrix just scans the Thing as soon as it gets in range, makes Ben into a Ben-Thing and you have a Thing versus Thing fight.
If Ben get's to know about the Thing without being infected, Alien X makes so it never existed. In fact the other god aliens probably already did that.
>>
>>95974829

>Gems encounter the Thing
>any Pearl that looks at it literally can't stop puking
>Gemkind goes to war to annihilate the Thing
>not to end a universal threat to all life, but because the Thing is "super icky"
>>
The thing just wanted to rebuild its space ship and leave
>>
>>95975492
Too samey, brought nothing new to the mythology, and only had a couple decent actors. Too many startle shots, weak pacing.
Also, Mary's character escaping at the end is a big plot hole.
>>
>>95974698
The SU fandom has a theory that the gems are a created race by some ancient aliens to fight something, but then the ancients died and the gems forgot their enemies and just kept taking new planets and making more of themselves, like antibodies turning into an auto-immune disease.
What if the gems were created to fight the Thing, and Rose making Steven creates the perfect opportunity for the Thing to infiltrate and consume the Gems?
>>
>>95975492
Not much? It was a decent enough flick, it just didn't live up to the original.
>>
File: 1484496285702.gif (447 KB, 245x175)
447 KB
447 KB GIF
>>95975675
This.
The Thing is not evil it just infects humans to increase its chance of survival.
It made that UFO not to go to a major city to infect people but to leave.
I mean for gods sakes people it didn't intend to come to Earth it crashed landed in the Antarctic and froze.
You only think its evil because its gross looking.
>>
>>95974698
Why are you saying it cannot co-opt non-carbon life? There's silicon based life in the ocean are you saying the thing can't handle that either? It replicates what it consumes. If it consumes a living gem after poofing it would doubtlessly take it's place. Same shit for transformers. As long as there are non-magical reasons for the entity to exists and OR the existence of that entity is not reliant on magic- it should be able to replicate them.
To beat the thing you'd need fire elemental and shit. Avatars of mundane construction and matter that are powered by external forces into autonomy.
>>
File: 1488830383167.jpg (141 KB, 1023x722)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>95975706
If anything could stop The Thing from taken over the universe its the gems.
But the sad thing is that to the gems everything could be the Thing.
They will destroy all organic life in the muliverse if it means killing it.
>>
File: 1487209813591.png (9 KB, 387x214)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>95975776
Get out of here, Thing.
>>
>>95975813
Isn't that basically the backstory to Halo?
>>
File: 250px-Comic_Nocturn.jpg (46 KB, 250x330)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
Cursed Nocturn touches The Thing.
What happens?
>>
>>95975842
Well Halo did rip off The Thing.
>>
>>95975776
And it, y'know, kept murdering people without any apparent attempts at communication or a peaceful resolution.
At best it's got a callous disregard for non-thing life, at worst it's a omni-genocidal maniac.

>>95975804
>There's silicon based life in the ocean
Uh no there isn't.
>>
>>95975813
Again what is the basis of the Thing not being able to consume gems? They are a living organism based on different compounds. Just because they produce hard light doesn't mean they aren't alive.
Thing would tear them up given how shit they are with betrayal and subterfuge given their ant like hierarchy and intellectual attitudes. They'd die faster than humans.
>>
File: 1503232459828.png (101 KB, 400x400)
101 KB
101 KB PNG
>>95975825
Ok explain to me if The Thing did intend to come to Earth to kill all Earth life then why did it crash into the Antarctic?
If it really wanted to take over Earth it would of landed in a jungle and started infecting dinosaurs.
>>
Why they made a prequel instead a sequel
>>
>>95975804
>Why are you saying it cannot co-opt non-carbon life?
Why are you saying it can? There's no proof of that. If it could co-opt any type of material why does it need to be alive, why couldn't it just absorb the machines and the helicopter and turn into it's own UFO.
Don't invent powers just to push your fanon, or we can say Superman has a 'burn all Thing in a planet' power, we just never saw him use it, so the Thing would last exactly the time until Supes saw it with his X-ray and microscopic vision. He's also immune to being infected because kryptonian LOL.
>>
>>95975928
>Again what is the basis of the Thing not being able to consume gems?
And what is the basis for saying it can?
>>
>>95975804

Bullshit. Carbon based life is incompatible with silicon based life. More than that, the Thing canonically can only assimilate organisms made out of meat. It can't become a plant or a rock.

It sure as fuck can't assimilate a goddamn hard-light construct. Stop being dumb.
>>
>>95975928
Anon did ever see The Thing start assimilating rocks around the Antarctic?
The gems are rocks The Thing can only assimilate living flesh.
It could never infect the gems.
>>
>>95975933
It fucked up the landing.

>>95975963
I'm not too into Supes, does his super-durability extend to individual cells?
>>
>>95975963
>does it need to be alive
Because if you replicate the inanimate what function do you receive? It replicates autonomous and living things. If the gems function through mundane (non-magical i.e inexplicable) means then they should be able to be physically replicated
>>
>>95975933
As a damned cover story.
>>
>>95976000
>hard-light construct
Gems aren't hardlight constructs anymore than a projector is a ray of light
>>
>>95976024
>It fucked up the landing.
You really think The Thing is that stupid?

>As a damned cover story.
For fucking what?
>>
>>95975933
it was an accident
plz no bully
>>
Can The Thing infect Ben Grimm?
>>
>>95976059
Post your sources.
>>
>>95976125
>post my source
For what? The fact that gems aren't hardlight constructs? Maybe not being a retard is a good source to start with. Are you telling me /sug/ losers, for all their praise of the "lore" don't even understand the anatomy of their own fantasy species?
>>
>>95976029
Why do you think it could do that?
Everything we've seen of the Thing has been organic. Meat and bones. The only things it's been seen to absorb are animal cells - it didn't absorb the fillings in people's teeth or their ear-rings or their clothes.

>>95976075
Smart people fuck things up all the time. Space travel is hard.
>>
>>95976075

Depending on the material, it was a prisoner that caused the crash to escape and fucked up, or an explorer ship system malfunction that caused too much damage.
>>
>>95973848
Some kind of genetic memory, perhaps?
>>
>>95975928

Shitty prequel confirmed it couldn't copy anything inorganic. Gold teeth, fillings, implants.
>>
File: 1489808259151.gif (143 KB, 545x524)
143 KB
143 KB GIF
>>95976263
>Taken anything from the prequel as canon.
>>
>>95976179
None of those things constitute an organism. I'm proposing that based on its ability it should extend to gems. Neither of us have a solid case.
Mine
>The Thing subverts and replicates living organisms the specific composition has not made much of a difference
Yours
>The Thing has only replicated traditional organic matter. It never took on other materials.
My response is that it's unreasonable for it do replicate something that isn't an organise. Humans still have minerals in them. It can create/infect minerals canonically it just hasn't done so to large quantities such as inanimate objects. There is more to suggest it could consume a mineral based organism than there is otherwise.
>>
>>95976174
I'm asking because I haven't watched the show in a while. If there's something I missed I very well could be wrong.

Please, post a source. Did they say this in the show? In a comic? It might be sound retarded, but if it's cannon, it's cannon.
>>
>>95976108

If it breaks his skin gets in his eyes or mouth then yes
>>
>>95976024
>I'm not too into Supes, does his super-durability extend to individual cells?
I don't think that was ever explored, but since the best pseudo science for his invulnerability is a continuous automatic always on force field, I would say yes.

>>95976029
>Because if you replicate the inanimate what function do you receive?
Sheer mass, computational abilities, rotor based flight, resistance to cold, and all the things it used to try and make an UFO. Why would it try to make an UFO if it could be an UFO?
>If the gems function through mundane
You're confusing mundane with orgganic you dumb mutt. Computers are mundane, so are radios, why didn't it replicate those?
I think you're confusing the Thing with nanomachines son.
>>
>>95976333
This might clear up anything you need to know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOEScwq3slY
>>
>>95976263
Irrelevant. Gems are mineral composed organisms. Those things weren't organic

>>95976333
Gems are the rocks. They produce hardlight but it's no different than a squid producing ink or a bird producing song. It's a product of the life proper. This is why they can be poofed without taking damage
>>
>>95973523
http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

This is a short story by Peter Watts a hard sci fi writer with a life sciences PhD who wrote a retelling of The Thing from the point of view of the creature.

You're right, it does want to help!
>>
The Thing is one of the few fictional villains that genuinely can't be stopped. Even if you blow up the planet it will probably spread to some other planet.
>>
File: download.png (733 KB, 1280x720)
733 KB
733 KB PNG
>>95973523
>>95976412

Oh god the thing is in this thread
>>
>>95976466
Of course. It's everywhere, man.
>>
>>95976379
>mineral composed
>Gems are rocks
So how are they organic then? If they aren't organic how could the thing assimilate them? I don't think I understand your argument.
>>
>>95976439
Just think like a magic space bird and make a counter virus
>>
File: 1464414360217.jpg (2 MB, 3975x3056)
2 MB
2 MB JPG
>>95975416
>Like I'm pretty sure the Thing is actually not capable of direct impersonation it's just capable of projecting the host's consciousness as is as a cover, like the reason it's so effective is that even the hosts don't know they're assimilated

THIS is the most horrifying possibility to me when watching The Thing. The fear that there is something alien hiding inside you, like a cancer that is just waiting til a convenient time to shit out of automatic lurk mode and birth itself through your flesh.

The inescapable horror of your consciousness fading into the black background as you hear a monstrous roar from a mouth that is no longer your own and the fearful screams of your companions. You try to retain control, a short shuddering struggle, but it has already taken too much and you are locked away in the darkness of your own isolated nervous system until/if The Thing needs you again.

However, given that The Thing was found on a crashed spaceship there is the possibility that it could have had a personality/consciousness capable of higher thought beyond mere survival. Then again, like the Pilot in Alien it is possible that The Thing was merely cargo, an escaped bio sample that contaminated the true pilot, or even some malfunctioning component of ancient biotech like a Environmental Survival Suit/ Universal Communicator/Multi-Tool.
>>
>>95976322
>the specific composition has not made much of a difference
Citation fucking needed you giga-nigger.

>>95976307
>Taken anything from the prequel as canon.
It's way more canon than your headcanon.

>>95976333
The gems are a hard light construct around a supercomputer the size of a small gem housing a personality matrix.
The hard light part is demonstrated in the episode where they go into space, and the flunctuations on reçlative gravity and speed warp their bodies until they adjust, and when Steven goes into hyperspeed without proper shielding the gem fall off as if pooffed, but when they get to their destination they come back and literally explain they were making their bodies but floating behind the ship and when the ship stopped they caught up to their gems.
It also explains why they don't need to eat or breath (as shown by a few gems stranded in space), and why they don't show damage until the damage is enough to poof them.
>>
>>95976059

They are literally, and I quote the show itself, "like holograms with mass." Their projected bodies are made. Of. Light.

This is not up for discussion.
>>
>>95976322
Anon if it's not carbon-based, it's not an organism.
"Organic" means "carbon-based".
I haven't watched SU, but seeing as they're called "crystal gems", I'm pretty sure they're crystalline in structure like a piece of steel, rather than cellular like a piece of meat or bone.
>>
>>95976496
I don't think he understands the difference between organic and living, and believes anything alive is organic, even if not carbon-based.
He's a brainlet.
>>
>>95976496
So they're not made of organic matter but they are alive, a non-traditional organism. There are physical mechanics which facilitate their interaction with the world and continued function and sapience.
Humans and dogs (the two things we've seen the thing emulate) also have mineral components meaning that minerals are not, in and of themselves an issue.
If you HAVE to include the prequel we see that it avoids things that aren't alive. Clothes regardless of their compositions and so on.
A gem is a physical life form with, admittedly, alien mechanics but mechanics none the less.
It CAN subvert minerals and DOES subvert living things. There's more reason to believe a gem COULD be emulated than not.
>>
>>95976496

He doesn't have an argument, he's just spouting whatever retarded nonsense pops into his head.
>>
>>95976609
Substitute it with life form if you have to. The points on the mechanics and limitations of The Things replication still stand.
>>
File: su thing.jpg (143 KB, 757x320)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
>>95974870
>implying he wasn't
>>
>>95976501
Galactus, the Celestials and the Phoenix are examples of things that could easily Exterminatus a planet and be immune to the Thing.

You guys are too obssessed with
>The Thing's a super special invincible eldritch horror!!!!
In universes that have things that are entirely capable of hunting it down and exterminating it to the last molecule.
>>
>>95976673
>had canonically emulated life forms that are composed of small amounts of minerals indicating that minerals can be processed
The only argument you have in opposition is the degree of minerals. Gems are a physical lifeform with mechanisms dictating their autonomous function. It should be able to replicate those mechanisms and similarly those functions. The only limitation is the production/emulation of minerals which we know it CAN do. The only issue is of degree, which, The Thing has had no issue with given that it reuses consumed matter.
>>
>>95976693
Yeah we've nobody any reason to think it can assimilate anything other than organic material. Assuming that it can digest a gem is like assuming you or I could digest a gem. It's a mass of sorta-autonomous organic cells.

>>95976783
>It should be able to replicate those mechanisms and similarly those functions
No. The thing is made of cells. Gems are made of crystals.
>>
>>95976731
Given how each part of the thing is uniquely alive I wonder how psychic interaction with it would turn out. Is it a singular hive mind that's ambiguously connected with all its components or would you have to wrangle a veritable horde of primal entities to affect it.
>>
File: how horrifying.png (278 KB, 374x359)
278 KB
278 KB PNG
>>95976725
>>
>>95976651
>Humans and dogs (the two things we've seen the thing emulate) also have mineral components meaning that minerals are not, in and of themselves an issue.
You know nothing of chemistry you faggot.
We have very small amounts of minerals BOUND TO CARBON. It's not the same thing as cristalline bonds or mettalic bonds, to the point that Organic Chem and INOrganic Chem are different study fields.

>>95976693
>Substitute it with life form if you have to.
Or, and hear me out here, DON'T.
They're not synonyms, not in a verse with cristalline structure life forms or silicon based lifeforms, like say Cybertonians and Crystal Gems.
>>
>>95976583
I hope you actually like SU because that would make how retarded you are sweeter.
>>
>>95976651

A solid lump of fucking feldspar or aquamarine is not the same as the fraction of a gram of iron the human body uses as an oxidizing agent, you gibbering twit.

Furthermore, the Thing doesn't emulate just by looking at something. It has to consume what it replicates and absorb their DNA. Gems don't have DNA. They're basically computer programs etched on rocks.

What you're proposing is basically that the Thing could replicate Clark Kent by eating a floppy disk containing a .pdf of his AskCupid profile.
>>
>>95976876
The bonding is besides the point it is still able to emulate or produce those minerals. Further, I just realised that there's already an example of gem/organic interaction. Steven. He is an organic life form that was capable of dominating a gem (even if voluntarily) and can use it as required. You and
>>95976819
Make good points on that it's interactions have up until this point been solely based on cells but we do not that gems can and do interact with cellular life.
Given this it while there's no precedent of a non-cell thing there is a precedent of organic life superseding a gem's autonomy. The Thing could plausibly and reasonably subvert gems not unlike Steven or Lapis being in a mirror. Once they're poofed they're rather malleable in fact- as Lapis proves.
>>
>>95977004
Yes it's possible, though unlikely, the Thing could adapt to using gems as power sources but that's pretty different than being able to infect gems.
>>
File: 1494651920568.jpg (491 KB, 900x1309)
491 KB
491 KB JPG
THE THING CANNOT ASSIMILATE THE CRYSTAL GEMS

THEY DO NOT HAVE CELLS OR DNA

IT IS NOT POSSIBLE

GODDAMN

Pic unrelated but it sure got YPUR attention.
>>
>>95973872
He can't effect living creatures
>>
>>95977053
It is but after the cell based interaction came up I ceded my point. Reevaluated and realised that there was a simpler solution. I wouldn't say it's unlikely. Gems can be placed in inanimate objects and still lose control of themselves and serve a function to their new inanimate host. There would be little issue in such an adaptable organic species to integrate and optimise a consumed gem.
>>
File: nope badger.gif (2.55 MB, 320x240)
2.55 MB
2.55 MB GIF
>>95976725
>Get away from it! It's not Steven!
>>
>>95973355
Wasn't it 27000 hours, ~3 years?
>>
>>95977091
Sorry pal, we're over the direct assimilation and into a new proposal which is much harder to take issue with and accounts for the lore of both settings much better. Thing 1 Gems 0.
>>
>>95977091
Basically any robotic hero or villain could find a way to kill it. Even Iron Man if he kept the suit on.
>>
>>95975416
>in an extended transformation sequence no one takes advantage of
Whut they always torch them during the transformation sequence, the thing just sometimes manages to separate a part of its body.
>>
Is a Thing infected, Borg assimilated Xenomorph the most terrifying conquering force in existence?
>>
>>95977202
The Thing has advanced technological prowess on top of its ability to assimilate. Unless you're talking about putting them both in a room and seeing who comes out The Thing still has the edge
>swallow a few muties
>swallow a few professors
>make your own iron man suit of some equivalence
>multiple mutie ironmen attacking ironman

>crash in city
>blasted by ironman
>thinks he won until he picks up that all the parts are scattering
>civies getting assimilated left and right
>city fucked in a day at most due to exponential assimilation
>high tech knowledge and an ability to jury rig shit even in an alien environment
Nah it's no where near as cut and dry
>>
>>95977344
No.
Thing-Squirrel Girl is.
>>
File: 20170928_111529.jpg (20 KB, 197x118)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>95977420
>>
>>95975282
Fuck man, that would be a horrifying thing for a telepath to discover. I imagine it would be like seeing someone's memories, emotions and thoughts like usual, except something's just off. It's like hearing someone read aloud in a language they don't know. And behind them all are red strings leading into the web of an alien intelligence whose thought processes are like nails on a chalkboard.
>>
File: xenomorph-sailor-moon.jpg (57 KB, 736x819)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>95977344
So I was thinking about Xenomorphs in reference to the Thing and honestly I think the Alien is the only species in fiction that can no shit repel it with minimal effort.

>Telepathic Hive mentality that would instantly turn on any deviation
>Extremely dense skin
Most importantly
>Molecular Acid for blood
Oh yeah, Thing has digestive fluid but what the fuck is that gonna do?
>>
>>95977454
>Thing assimilates Xenomorph
>>
>>95977439
>Thought Process like nails on a chalkboard
No. Imagine the sound of old TV static, amplified through the sound systems at every Metallica concert all at once. Connecting telepathically to the Thing would fry a telepath's brain. It would flay and butcher the person's mind like throwing deli meat into a blender.
>>
File: 1345072495290.jpg (167 KB, 680x1004)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
What about controllers/telepaths? I mean, obviously Martian Man-Jobber is gunna just do his usual 'Uaaauurrrrgggg, my miiiiind' act when he tries to invade it's mind, but what about say, Starro? Could Starro just latch a starfish onto a Thing and control the gestalt Thing organism before it consumes the starfish, or what?
>>
>>95977454
If the Alien can house acid blood then so can the thing after assimilating the alien it just has to be careful about it. Remember in theory it can infect people not just digest them.

It also depends on what the Thing uses as a host. The Thing is smarter than Xenos with an inter-planetary species tier intellect and understanding of technology. It's also hardier than pretty much anything else xenos fight. Facehuggers would get eaten and so there's no chance of cheeky xeno evolution and a dying Thing would just split into pieces and bail on the xeno fight. If it has a chance to build weapons the Xeno are fucked as marines can stop an Alien incursion so a group of The Thing would too.
>>
>>95977536
Nah, Thing can consume and assimilate shit on the cellular level.
>>
>>95977471
>aggressive puddles of acid blood
The moment those news had come out I'd blow my brains out
>>
>>95977559
>not willingly accepting The Thing's glorious unity
>>
>>95977439
>the thing invasion is stopped by a supertech-boosted telepath mind-fucking the thing-minds into brain death.
>all the inactive sleeper things go on living their lives none the wiser.
>telepath has to live the rest of their life as the only one who knows.

>>95977498
Nah, if a telepath can handle being in a big city, they'd be able to handle "looking" at the thing. Sure, there are several trillion individual minds in a human-sized thing, but they're like insects.

>>95977536
Starro's starfish might not be able to mind control more than a few cells before the rest detached and absorbed it. Depends on how decentralized a thing-mind is.

>>95977554
Aliens aren't carbon-based, IIRC, so the thing might not be able to assimilate them.
>>
>>95977536
The idea of thing telepathy is hard to speculate on. There could be any number of ways it shakes out. At the very least telepaths wouldn't get blindsided by infected organisms.
The issue being of course is when The Thing gets a hold of one or more telepaths. If you don't have a telepath you lose immediately. If you do you'd better pray to God they're a strong one.
>>
>>95977634
They have blood and cells. It can do it.
>>
>>95975492
The thing just randomly attacking people without changing form

What's even the point
>>
>>95977471
>Tyranids vs Xenomorphs vs the thing vs chrysalids
>>
>>95976108
Was a bit surprised it took so long
>>
>>95977634
Praise the Emprah.
>>
>>95977724
Which of them can make fire? I know Xeno and Tyra both have hive mind, which is an advantage. No clue about chrysalids
>>
>>95975492
I thought it was a good movie. People are just mad that it wasn't more of the same. And that the studio fucked with the effects.
>>
File: the thing effects.jpg (75 KB, 640x960)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>95975492
The basic premise of a Thing prequel is fine, the attention to detail is great, and I liked that they added some nice new subtle details like the Thing only being able to replicate organic matter, so shit like fillings and surgical pins could be used as an alternative to the blood test.

Honestly it wouldn't have been fucking horrible if not for the studio execs coming in after production had wrapped and basically saying "yeah, no, all these lame practical effects need to be 'touched up' with state-of-the-art CGI, it's what all the focus group's are pushing" that led to all the really genuinely good effects getting replaced with meh-tier CG and replacing the awesome 'pilot' creature at the end with... the fucking weird faces monster thing. It wouldn't have been amazing, but it would have been an okay film
>>
File: 1495004768830.png (19 KB, 189x189)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>95976307
>not taking probably the only genuinely clever new thing about the prequel as canon
>>
>>95977665

They have acid blood and non-carbon cells. It would be like a Thing-dick trying to fuck a pussy made of fire and concrete.

That dog don't hunt, mon signor.
>>
>>95977785
While Tyranids mostly work off of claws and teeth or shooting little brains worms or facehuggers, they do have units that shoot flaming chemicals, or acid, or kill things with bioelectric impulses, or even biomechanical plasma cannons. For melee some of the really nasty ones have psychically-enchanted bone swords that make your soul fall off, which might work against a thing. Their synapse creatures have psychic powers, which might help. Overall, I think Tyranids would lose the battle but win the war against a thing (even without going exterminatus), because while they'd start out very vulnerable to micro-organism assimilation, after their initial encounter they'd be able to evolve a psychic or chemical countermeasure to tiny Things, and then the thing would be fucked, reduced to primordial soup, and devoured by the Hive Fleet.
>>
>>95977995
I dunno cells are cells. There's a good chance that it could. I can't recall but can The Thing assimilate something freshly dead? A dead and partially drained Xeno might prove an easier task.
>>
>>95976307
Nigga how does it make sense that the Thing can copy inorganic matter?
>>
>>95972080
Soooooo, Alex Mercer?
>>
>>95976412
Damn that's a good read
>>
>>95978297
Alex Mercer was a scumbag sociopath murderer and the Blacklight virus learning empathy and compassion from the minds it assimilated and deciding to be a hero was the coolest fucking take on an assimilation monster ever. It sucks that the second game ruined that plot.
>>
>>95974935
we don't really know if the thing can infect plant-life.
if it can't, Swampy's the best bet for a winner.
if they can, we're super-fucked.
>>
>>95978213
>I dunno cells are cells

No, they aren't. Plants are made of cells but you can't lop your arm off and replace it with a strawberry bush.

>There's a good chance that it could.

There really isn't. Xeno blood can melt through the hull of a starship, and Thing meat can be roasted with a zippo and a can of hair spray. Xeno cells are polarized silicon, Thingflesh is carbon-based. They're incompatible.
>>
File: pasta.jpg (153 KB, 664x650)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
>>95974837
Talking about this ?
http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/
>>
>>95976024
>It fucked up the landing
I always had the headcanon that whatever the Thing is, it didn't pilot the ship, some other alien race did. As a last ditch effort to try to kill it, as well as stop it from spreading, he crashed it into one of the two coldest places on earth, which was either a planet it passed on its way home or another "stop" for something.
>>
File: maxresdefault-8.jpg (108 KB, 1280x720)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
Lets ask the big one.
Could Rick stop The Thing if it got into a city?
>>
>>95978474
Fuck no. He couldn't fix his own Cronenberg infection, The Thing would necessitate leaving the entire Universe behind and moving to a different one.
>>
File: 1495897955211.jpg (5 KB, 231x187)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>95978465
>These poor savage things will never embrace salvation.

>I will have to rape it into them.
>>
File: 1483741882453.png (218 KB, 360x614)
218 KB
218 KB PNG
>>95978474
>The Thing gets a hold of the telport gun.
>>
File: 1499294551521.png (434 KB, 571x540)
434 KB
434 KB PNG
>>95978467
I highly doubt the ship belonged to The Thing.
It steals everything so I imagine it was trying to take over the ship.
Do have to wonder why no other aliens came to make sure it was dead if the ship belonged to some other friendly aliens.
>>
Jack off onto the thing until the human dna overrides its alien dna
>>
File: pic2.png (194 KB, 500x375)
194 KB
194 KB PNG
>>95978530
>The Thing infects Rick
>Infects the Citadel
>>
File: 1471797038869.jpg (358 KB, 681x594)
358 KB
358 KB JPG
Guys, Guys, Guys wait! if The Thing was to take over and win, what is stopping one of "The Things" from mutating and trying to take over the other Things?

At one point, all life was the same type of single cell organism, but other factors cause some to change and become something more...

DUH DUH DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>95978584
could have been a secret mission to find a weapon, could have been illegal smugglers with something too big on their hands. Could have been anything, really.
>>
What if the Thing assimilated Audrey II?
>A mass producing plant monster that grows to enormous sizes, thus increasing it's intelligence every second
>>
>>95975529
We all know Richards is going to infect everyone he can as the next stage of evolution
>>
How fucked would everyone be if The Thing, assimilated with the Tyranids, Xenomorphs, Flood, Borg, Zerg, and Phyrexians into one horrifying abomination suddenly showed up at the edge of the Marvel universe?
>>
>Alien tries to get the Human torch
>it kills itself.
>>
>>95978474
I'd have a hard time thinking he wouldn't just bail out.
>>
File: 1483488677440.gif (470 KB, 200x200)
470 KB
470 KB GIF
So as far as I can tell from this thread The Thing will destroy everything in both Marvel and DC.
So is their anything in fiction that can stop The Thing?
Because as far as it seems The Thing is the most overpowered creature in fiction.
>>
>>95972080
They'd be fucked until some omnipotent being comes around to de-exist it or something.
>>
>>95978845
Because The Thing will most likely follow him.
It can't let anyone know of its existence.
>>
File: bob.jpg (50 KB, 625x478)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>The Thing assimilates Eternity
>>
>The Thing and the Thing find common ground
>>
>>95978870
Doom Guy. His rage is too great. Dude isn't human, just pure rage that look like a human.
>>
>>95972509
>Superman will be able to pick out anyone it's impersonating

How, its a perfect imitation, even down to the cellular level. Most imitations would just blend in and keep up the charade.
>>
>>95978870
Nah the Gods of either universe would be fine. It just wrecks whatever planet it lands on. If it managed to take over earth it would get access to super tech and all the accumulated intelligence too. All the other planets would be fucked. It could even do other planes of reality if whatever magic it learned didn't need a particular soul.
Worst case scenario for The Thing is it comes into contact with something it cannot infect. In those cases it just gets a different host and uses all its unique skills and expert knowledge to remove that threat and continue its assimilation.
>>
>>95978961
Supes would find a way but I doubt it would be instantaneous most of the city get assimilated until supes catches it in the act. Even then he doesn't know it assimilates just mutilates. Once he figures the assimilation he would meme up a way to do bulk molecular inspection but would it be too late by then? Would it have run into Lex or something and learned about Supes?
>>
>>95978870
>Because as far as it seems The Thing is the most overpowered creature in fiction.

It only seems that way because you're dumb. Both DC and Marvel could counter the Thing with varying degrees of success depending on who gets involved. Collateral damage would be pretty severe, sure, but to say it would "destroy everything" is horribly inaccurate at best and wholly disingenuous at worst.

>So is their anything in fiction that can stop The Thing?

Tons of things can.
>>
>>95973623
Pennywise gets wrecked by a group of 10 year olds who "believe"

The thing left 2 groups at a military outpost with guns and flamethrowers completely destoyed and doomed.
>>
>>95978961
>How, its a perfect imitation, even down to the cellular level.

No it isn't. Rewatch the first movie. When they put Dog Thing in the kennel, the other dogs immediately knew something was wrong.
>>
>>95977864
God damnit Im still mad.
>>
>>95978965
>If it managed to take over earth it would get access to super tech and all the accumulated intelligence too.
That's a maybe.
We know it can replicate the assimilated person's mannerisms perfectly, but we don't know that the thing knows what the person knows. For all we know, it doesn't understand how human brains work so it just puts them back together exactly as it found them and lets them go on as if nothing had happened. I don't remember, is there any point in either of the movies where an active Thing displays knowledge of something it would have to have learned through brain-scanning?
>>
>>95979129
no The Thing exposed its self to start assimilating the dogs.
If the dogs knew it was The Thing they would of known the second it came in.
>>
>>95979129
They only back away from it at first because it's a stranger to them. They were wary, but not frightened.

They don't actually react to it until it starts to metamorphose, at which point they can hear and smell its body tearing apart from the inside.
>>
>>95979189
They started growling at it and everything, they knew.
>>
>>95978961
That's impossible, something can't be a perfect imitation. The Thing has weaknesses
>>
>>95974054
>Thing assimilates everything and becomes Planet Thing
>most of the biosphere still appears normal since everything went pretty smootly
>realizes it must find more organic matter elsewhere in the galaxy
>every Thing, everywhere at the same time go full nightmare mode and crafts the planet into a meatball with bio-fueled jet engines that start shooting through spess

I want to see this done by some artist, but at the same time not.
>>
>Thing tries to assimilate Johnny Storm
>gets killed

Sure, we lose Johnny too, but who cares.
>>
>>95979249
No they didn't
When the dog Thing came in they didn't react at all.
It was just another dog to them.
But the second it started making monster noises and transforming it when they knew shit was wrong.
>>
>>95979262
The weaknesses are the same as any other biological entity. It can be burned, and probably killed with a strong acid or base.
You can make it reveal itself with the tricks from the movies.
It doesn't seem to be airborne on its own.
Those are its weaknesses.
>>
File: the-blob-88.jpg (18 KB, 620x295)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
Hey here's a question. The Thing vs The Blob?

Lets assume the blob, being a hyperacidic monster who just adds biomass to its own, can just devour Thing cells and eat it.
>>
>>95973999
Or just let mosquitos have at him and spread, as well as infecting something that could contaminate tap water and the food chain. Thing mosquitos spread like crazy infecting people in their sleep but what are you going to do when you lose most of your food sources because they've been infected almost overnight?
>>
>>95979303
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7SA-LcQS0g
I just wanted an excuse to post the fucking haunting scene again. But the dogs clearly know something's wrong.
>>
>>95976534
One of the things (pun not intended) about the new movie that I really liked/fucked me up was the part where that lady scientist become the thing and attack that other dude. But you could see that the human head was still the origial person incapable of doing nothing but see the horror she has become.
>>
>>95979189
>If the dogs knew it was The Thing they would of known the second it came in.

They did. They all stare at Dog Thing and then start snarling and barking at it just BEFORE it starts to change. They didn't know if it was a threat or not until then, but they certainly knew something was amiss.

Just because we, as humans, have shitty enough perception to not be able to see through the Thing's mimicry doesn't mean other creatures can't see through it either. Someone with enhanced senses or psychic powers like Superman, Wolverine, or the Martian Manhunter would either be able to pick the Thing out right away or at least be able to tell something was off.
>>
It'd just want to join the Fantastic Four
>>
>>95976651
I think you are confusing the thing with the Mimics from Prey.
>>
>>95979330
The question becomes a matter of whether the Blob's acid would dissolve the Thing's tissue before it can attack the Blob's cells. I honestly figure it would be a stalemate. A constant back-and-forth of one organism attacking the other and being attacked in return.

It would probably kill them both, then whichever had the greater mass to begin with would succeed.
>>
>>95979330
Head on the Blob (single celled organism I think) dissolves the Thing on a cellular level. The Thing wins if it assimilates a human or something to freeze it
>>
File: 1489099453071.gif (2.04 MB, 480x268)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB GIF
>>95979262
only weaknesses are fire ice and blood tests.
Other then that it's fan fiction levels of bullshit hard.
>>
>>95979149
Except we DO because it can still make UFOs after abandoning the form of the pilot and that's still under the premise that the pilot would know (which they likely wouldn't). The Thing learns and is clever. It would learn by proxy of being in that society even if it couldn't absorb knowledge.
>>
>>95976783
So the Thing could infect a robot? those two are mechanisms made of minerals.
I think the thing can only copy flesh.
>>
>>95979330
Blob in a straight up confrontation if Thing tries to infect it or something

Thing wins if it figures out its weakness to cold
>>
>>95978870
Everybfucking person in this threadis forgetting that fucking MAGIC exists in Marcel and DC.

Spiderman and Batman? Oh yeah, they're fucked. But there's a million and one ways Doc Strange, Specter, and even Brother Voodoo could crap in the Thing's Cornflakes and call it a day.
>>
>>95979467
Just like they did with the zombies, huh?
>>
>>95979084
>Pennywise gets wrecked by a group of 10 year olds who "believe
Pennywise was an avatar and was only killed because God itself was channelling through the kids, dip shit. Also it wasn't killed by the kids but the adults.
>>
>>95979330

Yeah, the Blob would just eat the Thing.

Actually, that would be a really good way to reclaim a planet infected with Thing.

>drop Blob on planet
>Blob eats all the Things
>use freeze ray to freeze Blob
>vacuum up Blob crystals
>shoot crystals into the sun
>send in a robot squad to Febreze all the couches and fix all the broken shit

Just keep some patrols in orbit to gun down any junkheap shuttles the Thing might try to use to escape and everything is golden.
>>
>>95979432
I'm not saying the thing couldn't eventually figure out how things work on its own, just that assimilating Tony Stark wouldn't necessarily tell it how all his tech worked.
>>
>>95978870
Couldn't robots like Ultron and Vision do some damage? Or at the very least, survive and get the Kree to nuke Earth or something?
>>
>>95972080
All you need is a telepath to figure out where it is.

There, the end.
>>
>>95979504
Marvel Zombies was poorly written. You know it, I know it, everybody knows it.
>>
>Godzilla is still a thing in Earth 616
>Thing assimilates Godzilla
>>
File: 1487037592650.jpg (62 KB, 544x400)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>95979557
Seems pointless anyways.
Seeing how The Thing can make fully working UFOs I imagine it can make things even more advanced then anything Tony can make.
>>
>>95979557
Possible. We don't know too much. What we do know is that if it took over earth it would have access to all its knowledge either way and it would learn. It's not a matter of brain scan. Heck the movie implies it can let its host go on auto pilot so all they would need to do is let the recreated Tony work and learn in real time
>>
>>95977554
How about the Thing vs the Typhon? those aliens biology is borderline ghostly. Is even imply that they are more like thought base lifeforms like some kind science fiction version of a ghost.
>>
>>95979504
Original Zombies was just a fun edge AU where that stuff is pushed to the side to tell a silly edgy story. Then they actually started writing in reasons why that shit didn't work (poorly)
>>
>>95979599
Still, maybe dropping the thing onto the zombieverse is a better idea?
>>
>>95979624
How do the heroes kill or contain them? The Thing would just emulate/assimilate something and do the same thing provided it learned about the methods before or during the encounter.
>>
>>95979467
>implying The Thing cannot use magic if it infects someone who learns/knows magic
The Thing is going to be Sorcerer Supreme
>>
>>95979614
>Seeing how The Thing can make fully working UFOs

Gonna stop you right there, bromigo. The Thing never made a WORKING ship. All we ever see is the half-constructed shell of a UFO. It was ATTEMPTING to build a ship using what it had on hand and there's nothing saying it would even get off the ground, let alone make it to orbit and beyond.
>>
>>95975104
>We'll never know if McReady was a Thing or not.
>The Thing 2 was cancelled and we'll never go on with Blake's and McReady's spooky paranoid adventures.
>>
>>95978870
dr manhattan could if he could be bothered to do anything.
>>
>>95979467
>Spiderman and Batman
Nah. They'd immeidately find a cure or some bullshit like that cause they've got editorial backing.

People are really overselling the thing when, as mentioned, magic, asspulls, and plot armor, exists within both comic universes.
>>
>>95979631

The zombies would just eat the Thing. They ate Galactus, after all.
>>
>>95979330
Wast the Blob sent to the antartic on the end of the movie? wouldnt that make for a cool crossover setup?
>>
>>95979730
Spider-Man sure did find a cure for the following huh?
>The Spider-Man plague
>The Inhuman mutant killing fart cloud
>The Lycanthrope virus
>The zombie outbreak
>the cannibal outbreak
>the cancer outbreak

And he totally wasn't front and center during all those, becoming one of the people infecting others.
>>
>>95978870
Every magic user and characters with magical abilities would be fine and also would be able to kill The Thing.
If The Thing invaded one of those universes Fare or Strange would just do >>95972428
said.
>>
>Marvel had a hard time with fucking Godzilla, when he wasn't even the nuclear pulse, spiral ray and super regen version.
>expecting them to handle the Thing.
>>
>>95979697
>Blake
There is nobody named Blake in the movie. Don't you mean Childs?
>>
>>95979792
Marvel has Dr.Strange
Your argument is invalid
>>
A Martian Manhunter crossover would be fucking amazing. J'onn knows where the Thing is and who it's assimilated, but he has to use fire to kill it. And maybe feels a little sympathy for it. Someone get this story underway pls.
>>
>>95979614
Spaceships are a pretty specific field of engineering, Anon. Just because it can make one thing that's much more advanced than what we have doesn't mean earth has no knowledge that might be useful.

>it would learn
A heck of a lot more slowly than if it could rip things out of people's brains, though. I mean think about the language barrier.
>recreated Tony
How would it give him orders if he's on autopilot? Tony's a smart guy, he might realize what's going on and build a nuke to take the Thing out.
>>
>>95979808
>Dr. Strange was effected by the Cannibal Outbreak, the zombie outbreak, the cancer outbreak, the symbiote outbreak, the werewolf outbreak

Sure, magic helps, huh? Strange didn't do shit when Godzilla was in the middle of Marvel Super Hero Central in New York, didn't lift a fucking finger.
>>
>>95979804
Blake from the videogame. I was talking about the videogame.

Childs there was a frozen corpse.
>>
>>95979697
>>95979804
I hate that the video game considered Childs the expendable one. Childs was cool.
>>
File: maxresdefault[5].jpg (57 KB, 1280x720)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>95979662
They blowed the space station up. They also stated that the Typhon could infect people throu their minds.

How about the Id monster from Forbiden Planet? that thing is basically an astral projection stand It doesn´t have cell to infect, would robot be inmune too?
>>
File: 1495392314434.png (126 KB, 417x331)
126 KB
126 KB PNG
>>95979845
Didn't even make sense.
Why is Childs dead while Mac is perfectly fine?
>>
>>95979830
>He did not do anything against one thing so he won't do anything against anything ever.
That argument is retarded.
Strange could send The Thing to the sun with a handwave
>>
>>95979900
Now that I think about it OP question has an actual answer for Marvel. The Cancerverse is basically a what if universe where the Thing infected the entire universe. The only inmune where the robots.
>>
>>95979945
Strange was in the midst of how much shit that could have been reversed because of him? MDay? Zombie outbreak? Skrull invasion? Civil War? Cannibal outbreak? Werewolf outbreak? Inhuman fart cloud murdering people and mutants? Secret Wars? He did NOTHING.
>>
>>95979906
He was the black guy on a horror movie, Im actually surprised he made it so far.
>>
>>95979730
>Editorial backing

Oh shit, I forgot that editorial Gods are literally a thing in Marvel thanks to Gwenpool.

The Thing would try to absorb Spiderman, only for the universe to reflexivey respond "SPIDERMAN CANNOT DIE", and bam, it was all a dream or some BS.
>>
>>95979978
Why are you sucking the Thing's dog cock so much? Strange keeps Shuma Gorath from chowing down on the universe on a regular basis, he could handle a second rate body snatcher.
>>
>>95980024
>Editorial is an autistic shrieking tornado of "Not Muh" in Marvel
>This is Canon
Gwenpool is some great stuff. Goddamn.
>>
File: Childs_-_Profile.jpg (224 KB, 800x800)
224 KB
224 KB JPG
Childs is better then macready and more of a hero.
Look in your heart you know its true.
>>
So, serious question, is "Thing vs. [Topic/character]" going to be the new Flash vs. Accelerator or what?
>>
>>95980068
No, the universe knows that without Spiderman, it can't sustain the sales needed to survive. It's defending itself.

But please, go on about how the Thing is, like, totally the biggest bad ass ever and can kill fifty Cthulus.
>>
>>95972080
in either case the thing only gets as far to the point where it meets each universes respective power house, somebody that cant be harmed the conventional way
>>
>>95979992
That meme comes from Slashers which had barely been invented, let alone wildly popular when The Thing came out.
>>
>>95980060
Yet couldn't stop a zombie outbreak from happening? Didn't bother to warn the Zombie-verse about the Zombie Sentry coming to eat everyone? Couldn't warn anyone that Godzilla was making a b-line to New York? Couldn't stop the cancer from spreading?

Why are you sucking Strange's cock so much? Is it because you just watched his movie?
>>
>>95979830

Because the story called for him to not lift a fucking finger. What Strange *can* do and what the writers choose to have him do are not always the same thing.
>>
>>95980121
>Why Strange did not keep comics from being written
>Why Strange did not stop different stories from happening
This is you right now.
There is no contest, Strange would kill the thing on a coffee break
>>
>>95980098
Theirs almost no monster from fiction more powerful then The Thing.
Its pretty much the scariest, most evil and dangerous bad guy in all of fiction.
>>
>>95980148
Or, more likely story, Ching Chong Ping Pong, Strange's Asian man slave, gets swapped out, and then assimilates Strange.
>>
>>95980112
Hey, if the Thing can fuck up one Cthulhu, it can fuck up any number of them.
>>
>>95980112
Cthulu was killed by a fucking boat.
>>
>>95980171
>A simple assimilating shapeshifter being can eat Sorcerer supreme.
Thing cannot even pass through a magical shield yet alone survive a simple fireball spam
>>
>>95980115
The movie Yes, but he died in the videogame sequel from the 00s.
>>
>>95980206
Yeah, that magic shield worked wonders for the fucking zombies that broke in, infected Strange and ate Cho.
>>
>>95980198
>This meme again
Anon stop being retarded if you haven't read Call of Cthulhu
>>
>>95980183

It can't. There are things in the Mythos that would make the Thing piss its pants in raw fear.
>>
>>95980226
He was killed. By a boat. Just like Jaws Jr. was.
>>
>>95980227
And Cthulhu isn't one of them. Cthulhu is NOT Yog-Sothoth or Nyarlathotep. It's a big angry alien monster.
>>
>>95980243
Is this bait?
>>95980252
>An immortal huge alien god can be killed by a simple shapeshifting parasite
>>
>>95979330
Best case scenario - blob eats thing, freeze blob, shoot it into sun or bury it on ocean floor or whatever.

Worst case scenario - Thing assimilates blob and requires its resistance to fire and nigh indesctructibility
>>
>>95980227
I don't know that Cthulhu is one of them. I mean, assuming the creature that comes out of R'lyeh at the end of CoC IS Cthulhu humself, he's got a physical body that could conceivably be assimilated by the thing. On the other hand, the way he reforms after the boat might imply his cells have a level of autonomy of their own, giving him thing-resistance, and his psychic powers might make him able to fry it's puny single-celled brain.

>>95980278
>immortal
He survived ONE (1) hit from a boat. The Thing attacking each cell individually is a different situation entirely.
>>
>>95980278
Cthulhu is NOT a God. He's a biological entity.

Yog-Sothoth is a God, made of matter we cannot fathom, or which does not obey the material laws we understand.

The Thing could not consume Yog-Sothoth. It could definitely consume Cthulhu.
>>
>>95980243
>>95980198

He literally was not. He was being summoned into this realm by cultists and the boat whacking his noggin interrupted the ritual. He reformed totally unharmed behind the ship seconds later, but the cultists couldn't keep their shit together and old squid-face was banished back whence he came when the ritual fully failed.

>But Johansen had not given out yet. Knowing that the Thing could surely overtake the Alert until steam was fully up, he resolved on a desperate chance; and, setting the engine for full speed, ran lightning-like on deck and reversed the wheel. There was a mighty eddying and foaming in the noisome brine, and as the steam mounted higher and higher the brave Norwegian drove his vessel head on against the pursuing jelly which rose above the unclean froth like the stern of a daemon galleon. The awful squid-head with writhing feelers came nearly up to the bowsprit of the sturdy yacht, but johansen drove on relentlessly. There was a bursting as of an exploding bladder, a slushy nastiness as of a cloven sunfish, a stench as of a thousand opened graves, and a sound that the chronicler could not put on paper. For an instant the ship was befouled by an acrid and blinding green cloud, and then there was only a venomous seething astern; where - God in heaven! - the scattered plasticity of that nameless sky-spawn was nebulously recombining in its hateful original form, whilst its distance widened every second as the Alert gained impetus from its mounting steam.
>>
>>95980278
If it didn't kill him, it put him out of commission for a while.
>>
>>95980156
How about a list of monsters that could beat the Thing?
>It, it becomes what the Thing fears most and eats it.
>The Blob is a giant single cell blob of acid, it digest the thing no proble.
>The giant claw, is as big as a battle ship and has an anti matter shield arround himself.
>Shin Godzilla, Can superevolve defencess against the thing.
>Demons, they are magic the fisical real does not affect them.
>Terminator, Can infect the human skin but not the robot inside.
>>
File: 1488403395546.jpg (97 KB, 523x521)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>95979692
You have to remember it made this UFO out of pieces from a helicopter and parts of a shed.
The Thing isn't stupid it only goes by logic.

So we can assume the UFO might have worked.
And if The Thing can make a UFO out of a shed and helicopter parts then it can probably make very advanced shit that will make Tony look like a drooling retard in comparison.
>>
>>95980320
ANY Godzilla can beat the Thing.
>>
>>95980307
>Cthulhu is a simple biological entity
>Something as basic as The Thing can consume an immortal being
>You not being retarded
>>
>>95980339

I don't know anon a Godzilla infected thing sounds pretty possible and terrifying
>>
>>95980307
>It could definitely consume Cthulhu.

Assuming he's even made out of actual flesh and not some sort of crazy alternate-reality starstuff. For all we know, in the black hell where entities such as Cthulhu are spawned Things are farmed as livestock, fried gently in refined Shoggoth oil, and served as brunch with star brandy and sliced Hitlermelon.
>>
>Lovecraftfags come to shit up the thread again
Just fuck off please
>>
>>95980376
>Godzilla's body gives off loads of heat
>and radiation
>thing would die probably, trying to assimilate him.
>>
>>95980376
There is no way The Thing surviving a nuclear breath.
>>
>>95980367
Biological immortality doesn't mean it can't be killed. Are lobsters and jellyfish impossible to kill? Fuck No.
>>
>>95980411
>Biological immortality
>Still insisting on biological headcanon
>He actually fucking believes Cthulhu can be killed by basic means
Cthulhu is unkillable you moron
>>
Reminder the short story The Thing is based off show that The Thing is also capable of mind control telepathy and telekinesis

You know. just to make it even more overpowered then it already was.
>>
>>95980336
>So we can assume the UFO might have worked.

No, we can't. I don't care how smart you think the Thing is, it isn't possible to build a working space ship out of helicopter parts and tin roofing from a tool shed.
>>
>>95980455
So if Cthulu got into a fist fight with the 70's Godzilla, it wouldn't get it's ass kicked, huh? Fucking Lovecraftian faggots.
>>
>>95980410
Yeah, but if it somehow snuck up on Godzilla, Godzilla would be pretty fucked.

>>95980379
Cthulhu's not from a different reality, just a different planet. The Elder Things, which were basically highly advanced mortals, threatened his people to the point where they had to make peace. He's a super highly advanced alien with psychic powers, but he's still a sort-of-mortal creature with a physical body.
>>
>>95972080
>It's honestly the most the deadly creature in all of fiction if you ask me

It really bugs me off when people say things like this, fiction is full of death gods, beings who have decimated entire universes without barely moving. How can a creature bound to killing people the old fashion way, with sharp or pointy body parts, guns orother machines, possibly fit this description?
>>
>>95980505
The thing needs to break down mass to assimilate it, as noted by the husky that was just skin and sinnue and muscle. Godzilla has a faster regeneration time then Hulk, Wolverine and Deadpool. Orga, the Godzilla universe The Thing, tried to absorb Godzilla, and died doing so.
>>
>>95980505
Godzilla's nuclear body would probably just cook it alive
>>
>>95980507
Its either just one autist pushing the Thing as le biggest bad or a troll convincingly roleplaying as one.
>>
>>95980464
>mind control telepathy and telekinesis

Novella. And no, it was just telepathic. It couldn't control minds or use telekinesis. It instilled fear and paranoia by projecting thoughts at others.
>>
>>95980538
Oh, in that case yeah, Thing's fucked.
>>
>>95980507

But we're only talking about an alien being not some god or demon just a thing
>>
>>95980505
>Cthulhu's not from a different reality, just a different planet.

He's a Great Old One, is classified as a deity, and exists outside of normal space-time. That he comes from a different planet is entirely irrelevant.
>>
>>95974507
I always had a theory that the Thing actually can't infect other alien lifeforms because they've found a "cure" for it, so the last chunk of it has gone to a primitive world to try and amass a new bunch of Things in order to bolster its population and get revenge.
>>
Post /co/ characters who could of stopped The Thing if they were in the movie.
>Would of killed the fucker before it killed anyone on the base.
>>
>>95980673
>>
>>95980594
Even with this restriction it is ridiculous to say that. Superman comics and dragonball alone have dozens of individuals who destroyed planets with billions of life forms, with their bare hands.
>>
File: 1501868404135.png (94 KB, 780x411)
94 KB
94 KB PNG
>tfw you successfully infected the entire thread.
>>
>>95980666
>Derleth
No. Just no. Fuck off with your non-canon magical fanfic bullshit.
>>
>>95980666
>is classified as a deity
By a bunch of human cultists.
>exists outside of normal space-time
Says who? Derleth? That guy's a faggot.
There's nothing in Lovecraft's story that suggests that the big C isn't subject to linear time.
>>
>>95980762
I FUCKING CALLED IT!
ANON WAS THE THING ALL ALONG!
>>
>>95972324
It's the perfect biological mimic, so it might very well be able to duplicate abilities. It creates an "imitation" but while that may suggest it is phony, a knockoff, I'm not sure it necessarily limits the ability to copy a vast array of powers, especially as governed by the universe in which it appears.

Honestly I'd think it's a moot point. There's room enough for it to be able to duplicate powers or not, depending on personal preferences of whoever wants to tell such a story. Sort of like the Aliens crossovers. Sure Bats fought his rogues gallery via genetic hybridization with the Xenomorph, but there's always been the notion that the Xenomorph takes on certain qualities of what it is birthed from. The usual Xenomorphs are all from humans, but there is the Runner that came from a dog (an oxen originally in Aliens 3 until the crew realized their critter was too sleek to have come from a big, lumbering animal). The newer movies further expand on (and frankly muddle) this, but it's always been there. Heck, Bats once fought a crocodile based Xeno. So imagine various aliens/powered beings being facehugged? A kryptonian, for instance, or Martian Manhunter. Supes nearly went that way after he'd lost contact with Earth's yellow sun and Alien embryo nearly bested him. Personally I doubt MM would be vulnerable unless he was super high on snack food.

All of this makes me curious. Several if the Things "combat forms" held variations of entities it had copied, such as the grotesque "dog" heads, meaning it has a wide discretion in mishmashing to create new forms. It's possible one could generate power combinations, which would be obscenely difficult. At least enough for an entire crossover event!
>>
>>95980790
>perfect biological mimic
>went autistic as shit when someone put a hot wire in blood
>ran outside screaming like a whale.
>>
File: The-Thing-at-the-Kimo.png (474 KB, 800x333)
474 KB
474 KB PNG
>>95980785
BURN THIS FUCKING THREAD NOW
>>
>>95976466
Do you really think The Thing would be THAT obvious? It's the people you don't suspect at all that you have to be really careful about. Also the people you do suspect. Also your pets. Also yourself.
>>
File: cheating-bitch.gif (630 KB, 500x213)
630 KB
630 KB GIF
Who was in the wrong here?
>>
File: 1499202792674.jpg (3 KB, 126x114)
3 KB
3 KB JPG
>>95980811
Are you implying you wouldn't scream bloody murder if someone pocked a fire hot rod into your blood?
>>
>>95980811
It couldn't control its blood. Once any segment of The Thing is seperated from the whole, it goes independent.
>>
>>95972419

Ring would attempt to purge the infection now?
>>
>>95980928
It cannot even pierce GL's shield
>>
>>95980854
The computer, obviously.
>>
>>95979413
If you go with the original Who Goes There? story (which is a good read and available online: http://www.goldenageofscifi.info/ebook/Who_Goes_There.pdf ) you could also just beat the shit out of The Thing and kill it. The trick was knowing who was a person and who was a Thing. It also copied somewhat too perfectly. For instance when it took over the cows on the base their milk was perfectly normal cows milk, though several people shit themselves after realizing they'd been drinking it.
>>
>>95980944
Bullshit. All The Thing has to do is turn into a yellow billboard, or just wait for Hal to inevitably knock himself unconscious. Game over, man. Game over.
>>
>>95978474
He bailed over squirrels
>>
File: giphy.gif (661 KB, 400x225)
661 KB
661 KB GIF
>>95980854
Don't fuck with MacReady. Lose to the computer at chess? Destroy the computer. Lose the compound to the Thing? Burn down the entire fucking place even if it means all of you die too.
>>
>>95978474
That's assuming he wouldn't just date it and it would be the one to leave after realizing he's the true monster.
>>
File: 1416199577612.jpg (186 KB, 857x1000)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
>>95980666
>He's a Great Old One, is classified as a deity, and exists outside of normal space-time. That he comes from a different planet is entirely irrelevant.
This is a common assumption, but I suspect it is incorrect, his proper title is 'High Priest of the Great Old Ones' The Great Old Ones are most likely the beings he facilitates the worship/religion of, not himself (cosmic level beings like Yog Sothoth, Shub Niggurath, or Narlythotep.) He's classed as a 'deity' by particularly primitive cults of naked apes, psychic sensitives, dramatic artists, and fish-ape hybrids, I wouldn't take their words as reliable.

Cthuhlu is a particularly ancient Starspawn (the proper name of his kind/species.) He's like Dagon, a particularly old and powerful example of his kind, but moreso because Starspawn as a species are more than a few powerlevels above your average Deep One. Now, I wouldn't assume that The Thing would be much more than an inconvenience, because Cthuhlu himself displayed incredible resilience to purely physical attacks by regeneration and some weird form of multi-dimensional discorperation. His position as a High Priest and Great Leader of a spacefaring people probably also lends him certain technological and sorcerous powers that could bypass biology and physics as we understand them.

Given that the Yithians, the Elder Things, the Flying Polyps AND the Starspawn were locked in a cool state of competition being unable to completely dominate the others, all while the Elder Things had control over shit like Shoggoths and Ubbo-Salaath I'm going to have to assume that each of those species/cultures had their own countermeasures against purely physical/organic superweapons.
>>
File: 1492917183645.jpg (8 KB, 355x355)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>95981066
So MacReady is basically the biggest sore loser ever?
>>
>>95980466

It isn't possible to build a spaceship out of junk for humans to survive in.

It could just be aiming for the mainlands or temperate ocean. It could just want to slingshot out to space and land wherever.
>>
>>95972080
>It can spread easily from being to being just through cells.
Where does this come from, anyway? Every time someone gets taken over in the movie they find ripped and torn clothing. Clearly it mostly needs quite some time to assimilate shit, like it did in the dog pen.

Anyway, in DC Superman or Lex Luthor would take care of it, either by microscopic vision and then heat vision or science. In Marvel one of the superscientists would take care of it.

People who powerlevelwank The Thing are fucking idiots. It's a good movie because of the isolation and paranoia, not because it's a powerful enemy. If you'd had the same setting with a werewolf they'd have gotten fucking wrecked. All you need is to stick a hot wire in someone's blood to see if they're one, for fuck's sake.
>>
>>95980882
Not if it was OUT OF MY BODY
>>
>>95980488

Cthulu comes back fast. It just phases the damaged parts out and new parts back in. They would just slug it out until exhaustion of Godzilla kicked in.
>>
>>95981117
To be fair, Derleth made him canonically a great old one in his expansion of the mythos.
It was a shit idea, but it's from like 1937 so a lot of people think of it as canon.
>>
>>95981118
Not the worst thing in the world if it saves the world. Sometimes the only winning move is to burn down the board, the other player, and yourself too. Something /tg/ rarely forgets.
>>
File: Hedorah.jpg (9 KB, 207x207)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>95981176
Godzilla barely gets exhaustion in the 70's, And he fought a deadlier creature then Cthulu in the 70s, and won.
>>
>>95981144
That's because its too cold to just spread germs around in the movie.
It has to fully take over its hosts in order to infect them.
If it was in Mexico it would of just sneezed on everyone and touch their food.
Would of infect a whole town in one day and without even sprouting a tendril
>>
>>95980854
MacReady for wasting booze and destroying expensive equipment in the ass-end of nowhere because of a temper tantrum. Do you have any idea how long it would take them to get a new one sent up there and how much it would cost?
>>
>>95981232
It was broken before that anyways.
Bitch cheated.
>>
>>95976000
>More than that, the Thing canonically can only assimilate organisms made out of meat.
What, pretty sure the Thing can infect anything that's got cells. Any organic/biological life can be a victim of the thing. They were going to burn all of Palmer's weed plants because there was the potential that the Thing could have infected them.
>>
>>95980570
It didn't need to instill fear via telepathy. The problem was it could read your minds and realize, perhaps before you yourself are aware of it, any ideas that are potentially dangerous to The Thing. Of course if it's able to infect you or kill you to remove the threat that's bad, but once McReady got his idea in a crowd it had little chance to act. It just hadn't infected enough people yet, though arguably they were also serving as a distraction for Blair to finish his anti-gravity sled.

It WAS able to influence Connant's mind to pacify him when it first thawed. That's a pretty nasty trick, but that's the only time it showed up. Maybe it required eye contact to properly work and required the eyes of the body frozen in the ice? Or maybe it is harder to trick people once they're aware of the alien threat among their ranks? I couldn't say.

Definitely no telepathy, at least.
>>
>>95981118
Pretty much, yeah.
Not a bad way to be, when faced with an unwinnable scenario.
>>
>>95977454
>Thing has digestive fluid but what the fuck is that gonna do?

Assimilate the Xeno's cells that clearly don't just instantly melt from acid. The same way your stomach lining keeps stomach acid from eating your insides, the Alien clearly has most of its cells able to not be bothered by the acid, a trait the thing could easily exploit.
>>
>>95980376
Shin Godzilla is close enough, already
>>
>>95981214
Not only was it a cozy temperature inside the buildings, being cooped up in a really small space like that for whole days would make sneezing a WAY more efficient disease vector than doing it in a regular city. Face it, the damn thing doesn't just infect with every touch, it assimilates in a messy way like in the dog pen. That's why all the assimilated characters have to change their clothes, and why everyone isn't just infected through the food or some shit.
>>
How has nobody made a joke about "The Thing built this spaceship in a cave! With a box of scraps!"
>>
>>95981267
This. Cheating bitch.
Nothing of value was lost. Except the whiskey, I guess.
>>
>>95981183
I don't hate Derleth like some in the fandom, he had a couple cool ideas himself, and his tireless work to preserve and organize these old pulp legends is probably one of the few reasons we're even having this conversation.

However, he was obviously the documenting/organizational/categorization sort of personality and I think that is an obviously clashing tendency when trying to confront data that is SUPPOSED to rest outside of our human capacity to process. It's like those faithful folks who spend their lives trying to predict the conclusive date and time of the Second Coming through Bible numerology, Astronomy, and the current menu of Denny's when both Jesus and John prefaced or appended their end-days prophecies with "It is a Sacred Mystery, don't scramble around too much about the 'when', only know 'SOOON'."

But not 'knowing' and nailing everything down into a neatly organized data table is troubling to some people, so the struggle continues.
>>
>>95977864

It's not just that but in the 1982 movie, the Thing is a lot more subtle and far more empahsis is placed on mistrust and paranoia for the people in the outpost. The Thing lurks, it waits, sticks to the shadows, doesn't want to be seen.

In the 2011, it's just a monster trying to constantly be in your face (showing off those 2011 CGI effects that still don't look as good as the 1982 movie), chasing people around and being about as subtle as Freddy Kruger.
>>
>>95977785
The Thing is vulnerable to fire.

Until it manages to sample and duplicate an entity whose biology is resistant to fire.
>>
>>95981384
It made the sacrifice it knew had to be made. Besides, he can always tilt the machine so it pours back into his mouth, with some new added flavor we shall call Vengeance.
>>
>>95978870
>So is their anything in fiction that can stop The Thing?

I mean, all sorts of high level shit can stop the Thing. Q from Star Trek, the Beyonder, Doctor Manhattan. But even a lot of the cosmic shit would probably do the Thing in.

Just if we're talking Marvel or DC Earth, at best they're looking at like 99.99% of all life on the planet being assimilated or destroyed.
>>
>>95981414
This too. I am deeply grateful to the man who worked tirelessly to not only make Genre fiction acceptable among American literary culture, but to preserve and propagate Lovecraft's work so it's still around for us to enjoy now.

But his own stories in "The mythos" (a term he coined himself) patch back in all of the supernatural silliness and codification and understandability of hierarchy and nametagging and pigeonholing which was the weakness of pre-Lovecraft horror fiction. Lovecraft's strongest stories and creations eschew this need to classify and codify, and are effective because they aren't rooted in superstitious tradition, but in physical, formed reality.
>>
>>95981452
Vengeance is delicious.
Fuck computers.
Was MacReady the first /v/irgin?
>>
>>95979467

I mean, sure, if Doctor Strange just comes in and goes "Abracadabra, Statusis ex Quotus" and the Thing disappears and all assimilated and dead people return to normal, sure.

But I mean, there's a strong possibility that fucking no one knows there's a thing infection going on until it's already taken over millions of people and tens of millions of organisms. Unless you just reverse time itself, even if Strange steps in tens of millions of people are assimilated or dead and huge swaths of the ecosystem are now things.
>>
>>95977864

I didn't like that it was less intelligent and acted more like a slasher villain or typical horror monster. The scene in the helicopter for example, or changing for the sake of changing rather than stealth when it tried assimilate the girl.
>>
>>95974413
>Crossed Thing.
>it doesn't infect anyone at all
>>
>>95979557
>just that assimilating Tony Stark wouldn't necessarily tell it how all his tech worked.
Yes, it would, unless Tony Stark himself didn't know how his tech worked.

Not only would the thing gain all the knowledge and memories of the person it assimilates, it'd probably be even smarter since it could add it to the collective knowledge it already has from other assimilated beings.
>>
>>95973496
Yeah, but it creates a copy of the cells IIRC, so if its copying the capabilities of the cells, wouldn't it still have the capabilities of the host?
>>
>>95972080
The thing wouldn't be able toinfect people like the human torch, sandman, robots etc. Honestly I see this ending just like Marvel zombies except human torch is also there and none of the inter-dimensional bull crap
>>
File: Conceivable.jpg (16 KB, 113x237)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>95981597
>except human torch is also there
>mfw BOTH human torches flying around roasting Things while having to deal with the paranoia of not knowing whether their former teammates have been assimilated, only trusting eachother and some robot characters they come across
Would read.
>>
>>95980811
>perfect biological mimic

The fire was literally the only way to check. If you took a sample of someone's thing blood and looked under a microscope, you'd never know it was anything but the person.

It looks like, sounds like, acts like exactly the person it copies down to the cells. The only ways they had to tell it apart was through the hot wire blood test, or to try to put infected blood with uncontaminated blood and see if something happened.

Other than that, you've got no real way of knowing.
>>
>>95981597
Human torch it could just wait until he's sleeping or just not on fire.

Like, if a mosquito-thing bites him in the middle of him sleeping and infects him that way and gets a good 3-4 hours to spread around, Johnny is waking up not as human as he used to.
>>
>>95973204
>>95973201
Even if they infect the fire users some how they will still have to deal with sandman and other guys just like him who don't have all those fleshy bits. So like I said just like Marvel Zombies but no inter-dimensional bullshit
>>
>>95977818
It was exactly more of the same. That's one of the main problems with it.
>>
>>95981759

They'd probably just leave them alone and for last. Why spend a lot of time and energy trying to get Sandman when you could go and infect another state with 30 million people in it and along with it all the animals from pigs and cows down to mosquitos and fleas?
>>
>>95981682
Fire was effective, but rarely thorough. After all, the torched body from the Norwegian base retained active cells that eventually infected Bennings, though it didn't have time to fully assimilate him before being caught. Fire can hurt it, even destroy cells, but other methods probably work. Acid, for instance.

>>95981552
>>95981429
An interesting theory I've read is that the experience it had at the first base is why it was so cautious the second time around. It didn't really understand humanity and underestimated them. The dog-thing wasn't about to make the same mistake so it bid its time before selecting its first victim. Now a question is whether the other dogs knew the Thing or not. Was it prepared to attack them or did it only attack because they suspected? Maybe it felt it was free with all the people in another part of the base, but Clark was still close enough to hear them howl.
>>
File: uneducated_50_1_50.jpg (382 KB, 620x933)
382 KB
382 KB JPG
>>95973776
>>95973810
>>95973861
>>
>>95973355
>>95977185
>>95973448
A little less than 3 years to assimilate a least all human life.
>>
>>95981469
What about the Quintessence?
>>
Would you have sex with The Thing if you were guaranteed to not get infected
>>
>>95975416
>and then displays no capacity for speech
Why would it? It has nothing to gain at that point from trying to talk to them. Its already been outed as a monster that they're going to torch no matter what, it needs to get a lot more lethal very fast and part of lethality is the shock and awe of seeing those disgusting fucking monsters right in front of you. Windows died because he was too scared/shocked to act when it dropped down right in front of him.
>>
>>95982042
Didn't one of them have an avatar that caused anything it touched to decay? That's some primo Thing-disinfection right there.
>>
>>95982085
No you fucking weirdo
>>
>>95982253
What? It's like, the ultimate waifu. You could fuck literally anybody and anything, probably at the same time. You could have sex with some lady one moment and a crazy ass monstergirl the next.
>>
File: Fury-excalibur.png (46 KB, 295x402)
46 KB
46 KB PNG
>>95981469
>Program it to erradicate the thing and not get its biological parts assimilated
>profit
>>
Saw writings about the lore/possible second movie from one of the guys working on the original movie. An interesting consideration was that even if the Thing could infect a whole planet, it wouldn't/was smart or at least forethinking enough not to, because it needs hosts to infect so it would be in its best interest to leave some amount of organisms to continue as usual and reproducing, ergo an ongoing supply of hosts. Though obviously humans would be too risky to be left alive.

Or like someone else said, it'd just escape with a ship.
>>
>>95975228
>They need a special type of Necromorph to infect other humans
Actually pretty much any corpse will become a necromorph is left within a Marker's radius for long enough. The Infector just accelerates the process.
>>
>>95982436
Yeah, I figure it just builds some ships and takes off. Couldn't pull it off in Antartica because all it has to work with is whatever it can scavenge from the chopper and the tractors, but I mean, if it takes over all of the West's industry with it's alien knowledge it'd probably be able to fly out millions of things in pods in all directions, giving a special present to the next worlds they come across.

Perhaps the thing is like a disease but on a galactic/universal scale, each planet like a cell.
>>
>>95982436
That would depend on whether the interest/purpose of The Thing was to assimilate as opposed to completing assimilation. If it's goal is to take over everything on a planet it has no reason to keep uninfected around. It only does that if it has some weird biological urge to keep infecting and needs someone around to gratify this need. Or, I suppose, the notion that it cannot evolve on its own, somehow, and therefore needs normal procreating creatures to keep changing so it can keep changing? Something like that.

It reminds me of the Alien comic where they visit the alien homeworld only to discover that for something like the xenomorph to exist it in a healthy, stable ecosystem it has to have competition, which potentially means things worse than it.
>>
>>95982308
So you just want to fuck Double then?
>>
Didn't Dan Way write The Thing back in 2008 and call it Venom using a clone of Venom and a girl who shaves her head named Frankie?
>>
I feel bad for Macready, leaving behind 4 boys and a hot amnesiac wife. If only his golf course had taken off.
>>
File: 1487885154920.jpg (26 KB, 448x545)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>95983360
>Macready's wife and kids will never know he died saving the entire universe.
>>
>>95982869
Well I believe the basic assumption was that the Thing couldn't reproduce on its own, even if imitating other organisms. Probably in part because all we have to go on, the movie, it never does so.

If we consider this, then it could be a reason it would need other lifeforms; because eventually it will die, biology simply does, so it needs new organisms/biomass to not eventually just wither away.
>>
>>95983430
>The entire universe
Let's not go overboard.
>>
>>95972324
It would depend on the powers.
It would probably be able to copy the powers of mutants since they are inherently biological in nature and it can perfectly copy those.
>>
>>95983498
The Thing doesn't reproduce because it doesn't need to, in fact it is arguably contrary to its survival because each separate part of The Thing is selfish about its own existence. They don't act in competition since ultimately they all have the same goal and still consider themselves the same basic entity, but as we see in the film and story when put under pressure each part acts only for its own survival.

Not only does reproduction really make zero sense for a creature like this it could be argued as contrary to its very nature. Who Goes There? gives us the best psychology of the creature (beyond the story written from its perspective) but even then it was just speculation that the creature only feels hatred of all life and wishes to consume all. Well, speculation and what they believe was psychic bleed from its telepathy. It couldn't help but transmit its loathing of everything that wasn't itself.
>>
Could The Thing beat The Ultimate Being Kars?
>>
>>95977536
OK, so just what the fuck are the Markers? Some bio weapon from millions of years ago that just got out of hand? Something that evolved naturally?
>>
>>95972428
That's not how Doctor Strange works.
>>
>>95973718
Yea. The Thing wouldn't even have to really hit a major city to doom everything. Roll around the wilderness for a while until a goodly supply of bugs and animals are Thing'd and then cut loose.
Think on this, Thing walks into a mall, goes into bathroom and sits on every toilet and gets a little piss on each. Goes to a public pool and pisses in the pool while swimming around, falls into the water reservoir while cutting it's throat. Airport, do the bathroom thing again. It doesn't need to rip and tear to fuck everything over.
>>
>>95984376
And what happens when it starts to age/decay/die of natural causes? Because the host biology/biomass it assimilated inevitably withers?
>>
>>95973533
As its implied in the story, the small parts of the thing aren't able to build a proper nervous system for cognitive thought, so they don't know to stay hidden, but the larger versions of itself can think properly, not reacting purely on instinct.
>>
>>95979697
He was a Thing. At the end of the movie, he downed a drink that was oil or something and he didn't spit it out or wretch. It just acted like it was normal alcohol to maintain its cover
>>
>>95981469
Don't forget about Molecule Man.
>>
>>95984922
Can it even age, decay, or die of natural causes? The Thing doesn't leave you unaffected except for mind control, it converts your cells into its own even as it shapes itself to look like you. You become The Thing, but The Thing is only pretending to still be you.

The Thing defies biochemical barriers, it can withstand long term freezing, it can perfectly mimic the host both physically and mentally. It is completely alien to everything else on Earth.
>>
>>95984732
Technically, yes. I don't have to explain myself, read the damn thread
>>
>>95976322
Its not unreasonable for it to duplicate non-organic parts such as piercings and fillings, because its trying to mimic a host. Its going to do its absolute best job to make a replica if it can, it doesn't want to get caught by not bothering to add a tongue ring.
>>
>>95985391
it can't replicate non-organic parts you dumbass. It takes the nonorganic bits and uses it
>>
>>95975492
the effects and the pacing
>>
>>95985391
I would argue that it is unlikely for it to perfectly duplicate those things even if it might be able to make its own cells look like them enough to fool most people. Far more curious is that it isn't just rejecting implants, it is basically creating a healed version of someone. It is either getting instructions for your DNA or it is making extrapolations to fill in potential gaps. That, arguably, is a huge problem for the lore because it fucks with the idea that the creature is the perfect mimic. A somewhat old debate (not as famous as whether Childs was a Thing in the end of the movie or not) is whether Norris' chest pains were the result of his being overcome by The Thing's internal infection or whether it actually duplicated him so closely it retained his heart condition. It's like saying if someone was missing a body part The Thing would copy them yet replace the missing part, which not only happened in the comic with the vikings but is also a dead giveaway about its identity. Not only does this break with the very purpose of the Thing but it breaks with a fundamental aspect of the creature from the original story, which is that it only gains whatever mass it converts. If it pretends to be a dog and consumes a man it still only has enough tissue to be a dog and a man. It wouldn't have extra left to replace a missing arm or even repair cavities in your teeth. Any why would it need to spit stuff like that out anyway instead of just taking over the tissue around it but keeping everything else exactly as it was? Sure it rips through your clothing but that's just to get at your precious meat.
>>
>>95977536
the thing doesn't have a mind, it asimilates others at celular level, thry literally would be assimilated without even reailzing it
>>
File: 1507178490938.png (717 KB, 1136x640)
717 KB
717 KB PNG
>>95980297
>the thing and the blob become the only living beings on the planet
>>
>>95985650
It has a mind, it just doesn't have a central brain structure. That's the whole point of the hot needle blood test. Each individual part of a Thing has its own selfish mind.
>>
>>95985704
Typically SCP crap.
>>
>>95985705
if it doesn't have a brain doesn't have a mind as we know it. it just reacts to things
>>
>>95985745
Sure, which is how it built a space ship out of random scrap and spare parts and almost escaped Antarctica. Just reacting to random stimuli, same as all of us.
>>
File: IMG_0296.jpg (12 KB, 371x398)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>95980813
shit
>>
>>95985960
Got to wonder, could the Thing get high after it copied that dude? Did it like to?
>>
>>95985745
You could potentially make a case that it wasn't sentient until it ate someone who was sentient and copied them, but you cannot argue that it doesn't clearly have a mind of its own when it reaches Earth.
>>
The first people that I would grab for a team to stop it asap would probably Swamp Thing, the Metal Men, Red Tornado, The Atom, Lex Luthor, Plastic Man, maybe Hal Jordan, and Superman.
>>
>>95985472
I know that, I was responding to the guy above saying it would be unreasonable for it to replicate non-organics. It WOULD be reasonable, so it would do it if it COULD.
>>
File: 3[1].jpg (89 KB, 700x525)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>95980156
The many are basically the thing but with mind control apart of the flesh asimilation.
By the end of the game you are basically fighting on a spaceship made of asimilated flesh.
>>
>>95985745
How would it imitate a person so entirely that it's impossible to tell the imitation from the actual person by reaction alone, unless you think every spoken word and action taken by human beings is just reactions.
>>
>>95984732
Ultimate Kars is basically the Thing with an Ego. It they would go back and forth eating each other at a celular level but eventually the most inteligent would win.
>>
>>95985072
Wrong, why hasn't this meme died already?
>>
>>95974876
Sadly as canon as sort-of-word-of-god goes it was Childs, as evidenced by his parka changing colors. The Thing ripped through his original to transform him. The word-of-god was the script, which is the version Kurt Russel goes with, which is MacReady had a torch hidden ready to fry Childs in the original ending.

Personally I hate that. Poor Goliath just can't survive any Carpenter movie, however ambiguously!
>>
>>95986846
It's not a meme, its just part of the debate. MacReady used everything he could at the base to make explosives so people think the "whiskey" was actually an unused molotov filled with gas. Childs drank but MacReady didn't. There's all kinds of "evidence" such as Childs' breathing not fogging in the cold air, meaning he wasn't breathing, etc. It's all circumstantial. I personally like the open ended nature myself.

Bit of an aside but Sci-Fi Channel was going to produce a tv mini-series where both men's bodies were frozen and dead. The script has them both human.

http://thething.wikia.com/wiki/Return_of_the_Thing_(mini-series)
>>
>>95985072
>>95986846
>>95987276
Childs had no reason to run out in the cold by himself, and then at the end his breath didn't fog. That nigger was a Thing.
>>
>>95988794
It's an old argument. The counter to Childs not having visible breath is that the infected Bennings did. The Thing isn't cold blooded even though it has incredible cold tolerance. It'd be a poor imitation that had such a massive oversight.
>>
>>95978297
>>95978365
I actually did this character for an M&Mgame/mypersonal 'if I ever wrote a comic book' universe. A weak telepath caught up in a Thing situation that gets infected but manages to steal control from the Thing mind, losing his telepathy but becoming a powerful shapeshifter.
>>
>>95978584
>>95978714
Maybe it was a weapon.
>Throw UFO qith Thing at planet
>It consumes all organic matter
>Once it has contaminated everything it's programmed to shut down and die
>You have a compost rich planet you can terraform at your leisure, no war required.
>>
>>95988794
He flat out gave his reason in the movie. He said he thought he saw Blair and was chasing him. Whether you believe that or not, well, that's up to you.
>>
>>95975933
Magnetic fields of polar caps attracted ship through massive gravity or it was on the run from something and botched the landing
>>
File: 1507778981320.png (3.55 MB, 1336x2728)
3.55 MB
3.55 MB PNG
>>
>>95980320
The Terminator scenario is actually pretty cool.
>>
>>95980982
>The place stank. A queer, mingled stench that only

>queer

Take your SJW fag enablery elsewhere, you dirty New Age hippie catamite!
>>
>>95989462
With all the generations involved I wouldn't trust a failsafe. It could very well be an invasion, or a rescue party.
>>
>>95985072
>At the end of the movie, he downed a drink that was oil or something and he didn't spit it out or wretch

Did Childs normally drink down gasoline or something? If Childs was a thing, he'd have all of Child's knowledge, memories and personality, every facet of him perfectly copied. And so, it'd react exactly like Child's would at getting gasoline. By rejecting it.

If Child's wasn't a thing, he wouldn't drink it for the same reason.

Either way, it makes absolutely zero sense that the Thing would get outed as a copy that easily, they wouldn't have needed to come up with shit like the blood serum test or anything if they could just do some kindergarten shit like that.
>>
>>95987276
You can clearly see fogged breath, just not as much as MacReady's fogmachine
>>
My headcanon is that McReady got infected and returned to earth but the assimilation of the planet was more of a long term plan. See pic related
>>
>>95992651
I always read that scene as them both being infected, but not certain the other one is and if they aren't trying to survive will turn into a barbecue party. The best strategy is to just sit around and freeze and wait for rescue.
>>
>>95981169
point is that to the thing any part is a whole body

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.