[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

At my apartment my roommates are always trying to use my PC without my permission and I want to replace the power button on my case with a key switch. I've purchased a low voltage switch on Amazon. But will installing this fry my PC?
>>
>>1253975
hmmmm

look at the switches on PC cases now, copy the specs and find something similar
>>
>>1253975

Shouldnt matter at all. The power switch on a computer is a momentary on and no real amount of power flows through it anyway.

You could also run one of these wireless power buttons

http://a.co/cfPvpjg
>>
>>1253975
pull the power plug out of the power supply just a little so they think it's broken
>>
File: download.png (6 KB, 216x234)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>1253975
Even if you had a lock instead of a button, all they'd have to do then is pop open the case and make contact with the button's pins on the mobo.
Unless you lock that too
>>
>>1253987
put a lock on the case
>>
>>1253975
You can't add a boot up password in your bios? Is your system user account not password protected?
>>
>>1253975
PASSWORD PROTECT THE BIOS
PASSWORD PROTECT USER LOGIN
ENCRYPT HARDRIVE.

ALL OF THESE CAN BE DONE FOR FREE

HOW FUCKING RETARDED ARE YOU?
>>
>>1253997
this x 1000
>>
>>1253997
I could do that, but that isn't as cool and don't know shit about encryption
>>
>>1254002
Change to Linux. lvm on install.
>>
>>1253975
Or, you can just put a fucking password on your computer. Jesus christ OP. Talk about going around your back to touch your elbow.
>>
>>1254002
unplug the computer....climb to top of house and dive head first into the ground. You obviously are a dredge on society
>>
>>1253975
You are going about this all wrong, put a regular power switch on the back. Rewire the front switch to an electric ignitor, break a gas pipe in your room and keep it flowing full tilt. Teach those cunts a lesson.
>>
>>1254005
They can just Google how to bypass that on Windows, they won't know how to open open up a computer and short the power pins.
>>
File: quickswap_eject.gif (216 KB, 300x200)
216 KB
216 KB GIF
Alternatively, get a hot swap bay and just remove the hard drive and lock it when not in use.

Or you could also tell them if they wanna use your PC, they can buy their own HD. Then when they wanna use your computer they insert their HD, and it has no effect on your own personal HD.
>>
>>1254016
Abandon thread. We're dealing with an actual retard here.
>>
>>1254002
turning on bios lock protection is easy. Just enter bios and the rest is self explanatory. Without the password, the motherboard is unusable
>>
>>1254027
/thread
>>
>>1254027
don't most modern mobos have a pin you can jump to reset the bios to it's factory defaults? wouldn't that bypass the password? or with older ones you could pull the clock battery I think.
>>
>>1254016

How are they going to google it if they cant get in because you have a password? My family used to do that until I put a password ("fuckoff") on my pc.
>>
>>1254038
I really didn't think about it.. I guess that's true from what I read on google. I guess then OP should bitlocker and password protect the computer then
>>
>>1254038
I can tell you with experience that on newer models of laptops that won't work. At least on HP. I would imagine desktops have taken the same direction.
>>
>>1253975
>what is a password?
Most psu have a power button on back. Just flip it.

Or gut your pc for a punch key lock. Either was i wanna see it
>>
>>1253997
Are you new here? This is /diy anon. Why password lock the pc when you can spend $100 on unnecessary hardware and spend a weej gutting the pc?
>>
File: images (9).jpg (10 KB, 188x252)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>1254011
>goes to diy
>how to lock out my pc?
>STEMfags ree in unison
>anon says take a header and kys
>...just firbomb your house op. No pc or roomates to worry about now.

Never change /diy.

Never fucking change
>>
>>1254068
that's a voltage switch, not a power button. If they flip it while the machine is on and OP is in the United States/120v country, it's toast.
>>
>>1254089
PSUs have two. A power toggle and a recessed 120/220 switch.
>>
>>1254089
ok, i'm completely clueless. Why would flipping the switch fry a PC with 120V ?
What happens when you have a power shortage ?
>>
>>1254095
because that voltage switch alternates between 120 and 220 volts
if you flip it while it's off, usually nothing happens because it's not sending any power to any components

if you do it while it's on, you just loaded your computer with 220v of power it's not designed to withstand

power outages don't do anything because they cause a voltage drop rather than a voltage spike
>>
>>1254103
That's only true if you actually have 220v at the wall.
>>
>>1254103
Are you retarded? Do you think flipping that switch magically converts 120v to 220v inside the pc? Or do you think it signals the grid people to send 220 down the line to your house? Explain your ideas please. The switch puts the power supply in a mode that is more suitable for the selected voltage.
>>
>>1254111
> send
Not him, but get your electricity right, please.
I've seen a computer audibly blow up because some guy changed the voltage of it for fun.
>>
Stop fucking replying to this thread. OP needs to go into user account settings and set a fucking password. Nothing else.
>>
>>1254089
Shhhhh
>>
>>1254095
There is a small 229 and 129 switch on back. You really have to get in there to flip it.

Its becaus eurofags feel the need to do eveything different. There shout be an easy hit on off switch
>>
>>1254122
>No.

Don't tell me how to live my life.
>>
> Stop fucking replying to this thread. OP needs to go into user account settings and set a fucking password. Nothing else.

as if there werent 20 ways to get around the windows password. konboot, uukeys, ophcrack, etc
>>
>>1254114
Neither of you, but the person you're replying to was replying to said "you just loaded your computer with 220v of power it's not designed to withstand" which is bullshit, the person you are replying to is correct, that switch just toggles what the PSU should expect, it is plausible it could burn out if set to the wrong voltage, but it wont "load" shit with any voltage other than what comes out of the wall.
>>
>>1254283
agreed
>it is plausible it could burn out
PSUs have some pretty beefy capacitors. If they get overloaded it could easily blow up like a firecracker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOVOON4lJog
>>
>>1254002
neck yourself
>>
>>1254209
Still more secure than OP's retarded idea.
>>
>>1253975
Unplug the drive when you aren't using it. 90% of people won't know what's wrong with it and the other 9% probably won't be fucked
>>
>>1254089
>>1254103
>>1254111

If you are in the US and you flip the switch to 220 that means your computer gets half the power it wants. The power supply steps the voltage down, and rectifies it, the 120/222 changes the step down. If it is a 10V supply in 120 mode it divides by 12, in 220 it divides by 22. So if you feed a supply 120 when it is 220 mode it divides by 22 instead of 11 and your computer just gets 5 volts and the computer just shuts down.

Most modern supplies are switch mode and designed to handle a wide variety of input voltages and still give the same output voltage, this is why you just need to get a new plug for most laptop supplies these days, Desktops have been abit slower to adapt, to many things use those old switchmode supplies and they are OEM, therefore plentiful and cheap

OP, you can get a mains keyed switch and install it in the case along with a new IEC power jack, just bypass the jack in the power supply and run it to the new jack via the switch.
>>
>>1254464

That is, you only need to get a new plug for laptop WHEN YOU GO TO A COUNTRY WITH A DIFFERENT MAINS VOLTAGE and not a while knew supply.
>>
>>1254464

I have no idea why I though it would be needed to install a new IEC jack, just run the hot from the old jack to the switch and then to the supply where it went.

I am abit off tonight it seems.
>>
>>1253975
BIOS password works for most unless hes a cracker/hacker type.
>>
File: pc power trip.gif (47 KB, 829x432)
47 KB
47 KB GIF
>>1254467

here are 2 better ideas. (1) if the supply has a 120/220 switch, OP just needs to cut off the 220V wire, meaning that the 220V position means OFF. stealthy. or he could wire the 120 wire to the 220 position so it only works on the 220 position. (2) since it's safer to work on the low voltage side, cutting the green wire and putting a switch in series with it would work. not stealthy, but you'd need a key to operate the switch. the switch could be replaced by a reed switch which would only operate when you stick a magnet to a specif spot on the case.
>>
>>1254469
>Unless he's a cracker
Don't live with minorities, it's just asking for trouble.
>>
>>1253975
OP just put the key switch in series with your case's normal power button.
>>
>>1253975
Use a good password????
>>
>>1253975
Put your PC in a safe.
>>
>>1254209
OPs roommates know none of that shit.
>>
>>1254007
Unnecessarily aggressive, Mr Bond. The project is to way to physically secure the PC, which may not the most efficient method, but, unplugging the PC adds no security at all.
>>
Make a box
Install lock on box
Put pc in the box
Lock the box
?????
Profit
>>
Just put a password on your BIOS
https://www.howtogeek.com/186235/how-to-secure-your-computer-with-a-bios-or-uefi-password/
>>
File: KIMG0092.jpg (1.53 MB, 4160x2340)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB JPG
Well, I did it. Thank's for all the helpful advice on alternate methods, I'll be getting those setup soon
>>
File: IMG_20171004_155512.png (376 KB, 720x516)
376 KB
376 KB PNG
>>1254618
I probably would do this because i don't know anything of this
>>
>>1253975
>not having a password
>>
>>1254764
If nothing else this is a more entertaining way to keep your pc secure than a password.
>>
Just put it in a locked case? Its a lot simpler and not that hard...
>>
>>1254618
see
>>1254018
unlock hard drive door
remove hard drive
close and lock HD door
place HD in safe
lock safe
>>
Any modification to the computer can be bypassed to access your data by mounting the hdd into another computer.
Encrypt hard drive to secure your data. Key on a usb drive can automatically unlock on boot, but keep plenty backups of everything.
Bios password is sometimes resettable, sometimes backdoored, sometimes impenetrable.
Key switch is possible, atx power buttons are momentary, your key switch ideally would be too, perhaps spring return.
Lvm someone mentioned is fucking aids.
>>
>>1253997
He wants the hardware approach lol
>>
Are your roommates the NSA?
>>
So
>>
>>1253975
Not just easier to put a lock on the door to OPs room?
>>
>>1254002
you're worried about that but you want to perform semi-invasive surgery on your hardware and install some kind of lockable switch?

You some kind of special breed stupid son.

Look, if you're using Windows look at Truecrypt. It's whole-disk encryption is easy to enable and you just put a password in during boot. Easy.

If you're using Linux, which given your attitude you definitely aren't, set up encryption during the initial install. You'll then just be prompted for a password each time the machine boots. Shit's easy.
>>
>>1254070
Not sure what you're upset about, all of this is the true and correct advice.
>>
>>1253987
Thats if they are smart enough to do that.
>>
>>1253975
Older PCs had a lock with key so the system can't be used. Just wire the lock on to the power switch cable. Also get a lock for the case itself so your retard room mates cant open it.
>>
>>1254283

>it is plausible it could burn out if set to the wrong voltage

I live in a 220v country. It's not plausible, it is a fact that you will at least damage the power supply if you set it to 120v on a 220v mains.
>>
>>1253975
No it won't. I did it with the exact same switch in the pic. Just use it as a power switch (connect it to the motherboard on-switch jumper, not the PSU)
>>
>>1253975
Just use a password
>>
>>1254782
it seems like OP is less worried about them accessing his data, this situation is more an issue of them 'borrowing' his PC without his permission while he's out
>>
>>1254536
>Just stick a magnet to your computer.
>>
>>1255590
yeah he was talking about setting it to 220 on 120 mains
>>
>>1254002
You don't even need to know about encryption. God damn dude, just put a password on your user account. This isn't windows fucking 3.1, bypassing a password isn't trivial.
>>
/diy/ is literally retarded when it comes to computers god damn. Get the key switch, now find the power button wire that goes from your case to your keyboard, cut the wire and splice in the the key switch. Most likely the result will be that you will still have to hit the power button but the power button won't work unless the key is in.

The wire is actually two wires, white and red, all the wires are color coded so there should only be that one. The case speaker might be red and white also. Anyways, super easy, should only take 5 seconds and won't fry your case at all as long as you connect it properly, make sure it's mounted properly because the case is grounded out, although the actual switch wire uses almost no current so even if it shorts it should be fine and not cause damage. You are welcome.

p.s. the power switch wire will be connected to the cpu in the bottom right corner, typically it's on the right side of the wire cluster or whatever the fuck it's called. It will have a little black connecter labelled PWR or PWR SWITCH
>>
>>1256991
wow I can't type at all, the first line I meant to say motherboard not keyboard, the last line I meant to say motherboard not cpu.

Sorry it's the drugs.
>>
>>1256991
>>1256994
The case front plate is likely held on by latches that snap it into place. It might be held on by screws, take the front plate off before you go dicking around with it, there should be enough slack on the wires to pull it off enough to work with. I suggest not just putting into the case plate, but mounting it to the case frame underneath, that way it is properly grounded. Be very careful of metal shavings, make sure you spray the fuck out of it with canned air after. If I were you I would take all the components out of the case, and drill a hole in the front. But a quick and dirty way is to just mount it on the side panel, it's removable and way less work. Just make sure you have enough slack on the PWR wire.
>>
>>1256991
>>1256994
>>1256998
Oh btw, only have to connect 1 of the two power switch wires to the key switch, I advise you to connect the red wire to it.
>>
File: black wires matter.jpg (15 KB, 477x200)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>1257000
>I advise you to connect the red wire to it.

you got something against black wires, bro?
>>
File: mal15.jpg (174 KB, 1600x1069)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
Literally just put a fucking password on it???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
>>
>>1254016
>googling how to "bypass" Windows is easy
>googling how to bypass a switch is hard

Nice troll thread.
>>
>>1254038
I don't think it's likely that OP, the faggot that he almost certainly is, is looking for that level or intrusion protection from his roommates.
>>
>>1253975
>roommates
you mean your parents don't you anon
>>
Just unplug the power button and set wake on lan on from bios. Then simply send a magic packet from your phone to start the machine
>>
>>1253975
Try not being a cuck and beat them up whenever they use it.
They'll either stop or die eventually.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.