[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: IMG_6102.jpg (2.55 MB, 4032x3024)
2.55 MB
2.55 MB JPG
Hey fellas, I'm building my new PC for the first time, and I'm a little stuck. I just applied thermal paste to the processor, but it turns out that my new heat sink came with thermal paste already applied. What should I do? I don't want to end up screwing myself out of several hundred dollars of savings and endless anticipation. Thanks in advance!
>>
i really doubt it'll make too much of a difference but if you're really worried about it you can always just use rubbing alcohol to remove paste from one of the pieces.
>>
>>1255943
First off >>/g/

>clean the paste off of BOTH with rubbing alcohol because you fucked up applying it to the CPU anyway
>put a pea sized dollop on the CPU
>don't fucking touch it
>don't even look at that credit card/razor blade
>spreading is a meme and a meme that will make your shit perform worse
>press cooler down onto CPU letting it spread the paste on its own
>clamp evenly, turn one side a couple turns then the other until sufficiently tight
>>
>>1255948
I hope my trust in you is not misplaced, my dude. You're positive that even the preapplied thermal paste on the heat sink is incorrect?
>>
>>1255953
The pre-applied paste is more or less fine, but unless you bought literally the cheapest tube in the store for the other one, it's probably a hair better.
>>
>>1255960
So, I've wiped the thermal paste off of the processor but I have yet left the thermal paste on the heat sink. Should I just put on the heat sink with the additional thermal paste or forget about adding more and just put on the heat sink?
>>
>>1255960
Or maybe wipe the heat sink too and just start from 0?
>>
>>1255962
Don't stack applications of paste, that's just asking for air bubbles. You'll be fine with just the pre-applied stuff if you're worried about fucking up the aftermarket paste application.
>>
>>1255948
>Don't spread
lol
https://youtu.be/r2MEAnZ3swQ
tl;dw It don't matter, just use the right amount
>>
You can't really fuck it up anon, all the thermal paste does is fill the microscopic imperfections between the two conductors ( the chip and the fan), it's not more efficient as a heat sink than the two surfaces touching hence why so little is needed. Don't stack it and remove that glob of shitty paste from your cooler.

Put a small X of paste on the cup, press down the heat sink and twist it.

There is a YouTube clip of a guy doing it with Perspex so you can see how the paste reacts. Practice like that first if you are that hung up.
>>
>>1256133
it DOES matter, because if you spread it you INCREASE the CHANCE of air pockets

why do people bother trying to spread anyways when it's x100 times easier to just put a fucking dot in the center and smash the heatsink on?
>>
>>1256133
>I'm a fucking retard
I mean, linking to a LTT video was a big enough red flag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyXLu1Ms-q4
>>
File: horrendous.jpg (94 KB, 540x960)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
since u guys are talking about fucked thermal paste applications im gonna ask it here instead of QTDDTOT. i have this old machine in the back of my room for about 10 years, and decided to clean it and see if i can run something on it, thing is that i dunno if i can clean that processor and it will still works ( it works right now)
>>
>>1256471
Just wipe it off with as strong of an alcohol as you can find.
>>
>>1256471
Clean with alcohol and it'll be fine, pretty much all old CPUs look like that.
>>
>>1255967
>>1256376
>not using your own vacuum chamber

just kys
>>
>>1256472
>>1256496
thanks, ill clean it with the weak ass alcohol i have here, hopefully it doesnt burn when i turn it on again
>>
>>1256555
make sure that alcohol has completely evaporated before turning it on, there is a reason even the very old computers started fires and the cpu/gpu is the main source besides a bad/overloaded power converter/batteries.
>>
>>1255948
I always apply to the cpu. Has worked just fine for 18 years.
>>
>>1256591
I didn't say he fucked up BY applying it to the cpu, I said he fucked up the application itself.
>>
File: 1506495521396.jpg (11 KB, 640x480)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>1255943

Remember some of the thermal paste is conductive and some is not (usually gray is conductive and white is not). When applying the paste to the side with the pins use only non conductive thermal paste.
>>
File: tcr9-g1.gif (39 KB, 467x720)
39 KB
39 KB GIF
>>1256593
>in b4 someone follows your advice
>>
>>1256605
What does red mean
>>
It doesn't matter, but I would only use one type incase there is a chemical reaction (highly unlikely).

People in this thread are saying don't spread, but you need to to avoid bubbles. If you get a bubble in there it really fucks up the cooling.

looks like you have an amd cpu, that's good, make sure you have an after market cooler as amd's get hotter than intel.
>>
>a dot is pretty much perfect, since a dot will squish into a circle, which will hopefully reach to all 4 edges of the CPU.
>hopefully
fuck that shit, i spread it a bit to make damn sure.
>>
>>1256605
>mayonnaise
>35 degrees

well i guess i know what im using next time
>>
>>1257016
>People in this thread are saying don't spread, but you need to to avoid bubbles.
Not spreading avoids bubbles.

>>1257031
>>hopefully
>fuck that shit, i spread it a bit to make damn sure.
It doesn't need to reach every square mm of the heatspreader, the CPU die itself is tiny. All spreading will do is introduce air bubbles. If you're that worried about it, do the X method.
>>
No paste required. Your heat sink has a sil pad that does the exact same thing as the paste.
>>
>>1257050
x will make bubbles you retard.
>>
>>1257050
no matter how you do it you're gonna have air in there
>>
>>1257040
i've done it. dielectric grease also works amazingly well. not something i'd want to be using long term but it'll get you going in a pinch
>>
>>1257108
See
>>1256460
>>
>>1255943
I can see where you touched it, so just wipe the chip and the heatsink down with a shop towel and isp alcohol, dont need much, just get everything clean, then apply about a your tcp to the chip in a line about the size and shape of a grain of rice, then just clamp that shit down, dont listen to these fucks about spreading, we've known thats a meme for 20 years now.
>>
Woops I tripfagged, mea culpa

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.