[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 25 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 14th Birthday, 4chan!

File: 1423031147801.jpg (51 KB, 720x540)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
thinking of quitting trade school

in electrics. what do you think?
>>
>>1257539
well, what's your alternative?
>>
>>1257544
gym. look/chase women that want me.

internet surf. laugh. play sports. catch up with friends.
>>
Get your trade then quit if you want. I started my apprenticeship at 18 and finished it at 28, biggest mistake of my life.
>>
>>1257550

why is it a mistake?
>>
>>1257553
Because I don't consider the 3-4 years of partying to be worth the 6 years of greatly reduced pay and I wish I had of started my own business while still young and energetic as it's a hard slog and only gets harder with age.
>>
>>1257548
Good luck with being just like everyone else and having nothing to actually make you distinct from the mass.
>>
>>1257548
Whats your alternative for actually paying bills?
>>
>>1257539
Yeah fuck school. You sound like you would make a good Carpenter. You can come work with me anytime. I got lots of wood I need ponied.
>>
File: image.jpg (124 KB, 660x371)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>1257539
Quit aspiring to be a useless sack of shit and finish school.
>>
what exactly is "trade school"
is it just applying for an apprentice and working your way up to a journeyman?
Is this what it is in laymans terms?

t. someone interested in a trade
>>
>>1258126
that somehow depends on the country you live in
>>
>>1257548
Well you sound like a straight up retard so you may as well
>>
>>1258126
>what exactly is "trade school"

Its like college, but it usually a 2 year technical course where you learn nothing but your trade.

You learn you skill and build networking to get an apprenticeship right out of school. Its an easier road than just out of the blue applying to be an apprentice
>>
>>1257539
Don't be a sherry fag
>>
>>1257548
Yeah well done idiot, those things are gonna be so much simpler with no money and career.

Protip: Gym and eating right costs money if you take it to the degree necessary to actually look good. There is a very short timeline on women that want a jobless unskilled NEET, and your friends will all drift off over time as they get jobs, families and real lives.

Don't fucking drop out, it's such a common pitfall. See it through to the end, then you can do all that shit you listed PLUS you'll have a qualification.
>>
File: 1480030096715.jpg (121 KB, 962x701)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>1258387
this gui

just finish......just......dooo iiitt
>>
>>1257548
>how to end up as a walmart greeter at 60 years old 101
>>
everyone quitting trade school after investing >6months is a retard. what are 2 lost years in trade for having a Plan B on the Job market
>>
Get your trade, immediately or as fast as you can.

I had to wait 15 years until I had a 'trade' that was recognised that allowed me to emigrate, the sparkies, builders, plumbers, mechanics and chippies had their own businesses and Visa's in other countries.

People will always need tradies.

Ps. You can be a complete deviant in Thailand at aged 30 with your own business, you don't miss anything you can't make up later in life when successful.
>>
>>1258432
>everyone quitting trade school after investing >6months is a retard

Sunk cost fallacy.
>>
>>1258536
>spend all the money
>quit before receiving what you paid for
I'm a financial genius.
>>
>>1258536
Anon, the sunk cost fallacy is about not continuing with a bad deal just because you've already lost money and time to it. It applies to things like gambling, relationships, and love scams.

It doesn't apply here because there is a clear end goal, that op will certainly benefit greatly from, and the goalposts were known since the very start by all parties acting in good faith.

Tl;dr no.
>>
>>1258536
>Fallacy fallacy
>>
>>1257564
>I wish I had of started my own business while still young and energetic as it's a hard slog and only gets harder with age.

Same boat man. I'm 29 now. But hopefully by spring next year I can follow my dream and start my business.
>>
>>1258694
not really, since the sunk cost fallacy is more of an action rather than an argument.
>>
>>1257548
lol.

faggot.
>>
>>1259124
This anon >>1258636 puts it pretty well. Just because you can vaguely put the sunk cost fallacy on this situation doesnt mean that it invalidates the argument that quitting with no alternative is a bad idea, and a wasted investment.

Now if OP was making an automatic donut maker and wanted to cut his losses and move on, that would be different because in that situation his "sunk costs" are in a stupid idea rather than a good one (higher education)
>>
File: sitnspin.gif (1 MB, 200x190)
1 MB
1 MB GIF
>>1257539
>thinking of quitting trade school
>in electrics. what do you think?

i think i'd like fries with that, anon. and a vanilla shake.
>>
>>1257539
kys faggot

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.