[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 39 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

I'm considering attempting a made-to-order donut food truck. I would make a bunch of dough ahead of time and have a deep-fryer on hand. customers would order donuts and i would drop them in the fryer right in front of them. instead of fillings i would just have toppings that would be added to the donut, i.e. jelly, glaze, boston cream, chocolate sauce, nuts, etc. would all be drizzled onto the finished donuts at the customers request. sell them at a profit.

never had any experience running a food business, less a food truck business, but it seems pretty solid. any holes (pun intended) in this plan? would there be problems using a pre-prepared yeast dough?
>>
>donut food truck

god I hate millennials
>>
File: 1456331093743.jpg (35 KB, 591x600)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>1258124
The cost of a food truck might surprise you. Since they became trendy, the converted vehicals went way up in price.

Also, research the laws in your city, county, and state. I believe you have to pass inspection to get a license to sell prepared food in most places.

Also, I've talked to a few food truck owners, and they all report the same thing: it takes a lot of work and a lot of time to break even on your investment. Basically, it means working 7 days a week for 2 years or more to "make it." So basically, you have to really really love making doughnuts to keep at it long enough to not fail at it.

Personally, I *love* to cook, but after seeing what it takes to run a food truck, I decided that I was better off making money with another job and leave the cooking as a weekend hobby.

>>1258129
I'm a Gen X'er and it sounds like a good idea to me. I say the more food trucks out at the bars when I'm drinking, the better.
>>
>>1258124
Toppings is going to be a mess. Sure, some stuff works, but there's a reason for putting the jelly in the jelly doughnut, eh. Also, (good) doughnuts are a yeast leavened bread. You'll need to research how to hold your dough and not have it over-rise, or otherwise go wonky on you.
>>
>>1258124
You would have way better luck near a bar with fried food imo. And 95% of businesses fail in the first 5 years.

But i say go for it bro. Better working for yourself than others. Better still havibg other work for you.

Git gud
>>
>>1258124
>any holes (pun intended) in this plan?

I was going to reply about how awesome Krispy Kreme donuts are when hot and fresh but then you went full fucking reddit with the lame "pun intended" shit.

puns, whether intended or not are suck. OP you are clueless. get a job at taco bell.
>>
>>1258170
So what you're saying is that you like a certain kind of donut, and you don't like Reddit? Quality post there Anon.
>>
File: anjali6.jpg (364 KB, 720x1098)
364 KB
364 KB JPG
>>1258177
>Quality post there Anon.

thanks. pls leave a seller review.
>>
>>1258124

park it next to a police station. 24/7 profits
>>
File: images.png (5 KB, 150x111)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
Custom toppings on a fresh hot donut is how they do it at Duck Donuts. A mobile version of that would be fantastic.
>>
Food business is one of the hardest to stay afloat it. Profit margines are small and permits / inspections will drown you.
>>
>>1258129
>millennials

Fuck are you talking about? While-you-wait donut trucks have been a staple on the English seaside for decades.
>>
>>1258129
God I hate you, why try to ruin this guys dream.
>>
weve already been over this you dumb fuck your stupid diy doughnut maker wont save you any time compared to making donuts manually and faggot you dont even know what doughnuts are youve never even had a doughnut
>>
>>1258164
The dough was the main issue for me. The most efficient thing in my head is pre cut raw donuts and holes, would i refridgerate them?
>>
>>1258274
He said hed just deep fry them, nothing about that ridiculous device was mentioned
>>
>>1258276
Definitely refrigerate the dough, all the way up until you throw it in the oil. Part of what makes the dough airy is that the yeast produced carbon dioxide inside the dough, and part of what makes it airy is that those gas pockets expand when heated (in the oil).

As a reference, there was another guy trying to make a doughnut machine recently, and I pointed out to him that you can make okay doughnuts by simply buying a can of refrigerated biscuits, poking a hole in the middle of one with a chopstick, then frying it. Well, those cans of biscuits are good in the refrigerated section of the store for months, and still make a decent doughnut. If you are making your own dough (which I highly encourage) then you can see from the example that you can, under the right circumstances, refrigerate your dough for a while and it will still be good. Probably not months, unless you plan on using preservatives, but I'd say that, properly stored and refrigerated, at least a week is reasonable. I'll often make a double recipe of bread, cut it in half after the first knead, thrown half in a gallon zip lock, and throw it in the fridge for up to a week before I pull it out and bake it.
>>
>>1258129

this
>>
>>1258285

>baking soda biscuits

being used as

>yeast donuts

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS HERESY
>>
>>1258289
Ever had a cake doughnut?
>>
>>1258289
The Pillsbury biscuit example is to show that sometimes, with preservatives, you can store dough for months.

My yeast based bread example is to show that without preservatives, you can still store yeast dough for a week.

Full disclosure, I also eat gluten, and usually buy gmo foods. Sue me.
>>
>>1258129
When i walk past trucks like this downtown it's all obese boomers patronizing the thing. Kys you reactionary faggot.
>>
>>1258124
My simple principle is that you should never start any food related business unless the product that you make is absolutely mind-blowing delicious. If your base donuts aren't incredible, no amount of toppings is going to make them a hit. Figure out how to make a donut masterpiece, then get back to us.
>>
>>1258124
OP check with your state's Department of Agriculture/Health, as well as your local county or city health department. As long as you aren't distributing (i.e. packaging up and sending to another location for sale there), you shouldn't need to get your state Dept of Ag involved. If you're just selling at retail (directly from the truck) only your local board of health should have to get involved, which would be a simple process of them coming out to your truck (scheduled initial inspection) and ensuring you meet the codes for sanitation.

t. state health inspector
>>
>>1258276
Off-hand, refrigerating your yeasty dough will force the yeast to go dormant.
This is the same technique they use in making root beer, which requires you to stop the yeast from doing their thing halfway through, while it's still sweet. Otherwise they'd eat all the sugar and turn the root beer into a timebomb.
>>
File: w6mtp.jpg (35 KB, 297x450)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>1258182
>>
>>1258276
Make donut a roll like a long john. Out ona stick (bitches love sticks) fry a bunch up. Have topping dispenser outside for customers.

>just selling plain donuts and buying 5 gallon buckets of random shit.
>maling the customers do all of the work
>profit????
>>
>>1258285
One of us fellow 4chingerz runs a popular bug box donut shop. Would anyone want me to share this thread with him? He would know what sells maybe
>>
>>1258312
You ever see some nast ass places and shut them down?
>>
>>1258314
Rootbear timebomb sounds fun. Gonna make a few and report back!
>>
>>1258182
>Ahahahahahahahahahaha cops are fat
Fuck you you goddammed self entitled prick. Cops do a dangerous job for shit pay during shit hours, to protect your lazy ass sleeping in your bed. It takes a much bigger man than your twink ass to do violent things in the name of peace. You probably smoke pot, you worthless degenerate. Yo want to kneel for the flag, go ahead chicklefucks, see what I do the next time you call 911 because your literal faggot roommate took the remote control. Or better yet, he rapes your ass, and I'll just sit outside the window and laugh. Maybe for once I'll turn on my hippy mandated recorder to show the boys back at the station. Back the blue, you cockstain. You're probably a nigger too, aren't you, boy.
>>
>>1258696
7/10
>>
>>1258696
Cops don’t protect me from shit. It takes them at least 30 min to get here by which point the criminals would be long gone. My 12 gauge is all the protection I need and far more useful then some corrupt fucks in a uniform
>>
>>1258708
All the more reason you shouldn't own a gun.
>>1258697
fuck/you
>>
>>1258696
Ask me how I know that not only are you not a cop, but you know nothing about them either. Shittiest pasta ever. 1/10, made me reply.
>>
File: C8MQMUgVYAAzi-n.jpg (141 KB, 1200x718)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>1258713
>>
>>1258713
Probably because you watch to much TV, son.
>>
>>1258719
>>1258719
It's because cops all know that there is nothing better for chasing down perps than the quick burst of energy that only the carbs and fat in a donut can give you. They don't eat them because they want to, they eat them because they have to. It's part of the job. A donut is actually the perfect cop food.
>>
Food trucks are very expensive. You're easily going to be out at least 20k for it. More if you want a non-shitty third failed food venture one.

Converting one is hard and expensive too. I know a fucking stoner bartender who has been making a food truck for 4 years because he's paying for it as he goes. Not to mention it will fail an inspection by the health department because he's a retard.
>>
>>1258663
I've seen a lot of nasty places, but we try to work with people and get them to set doable goals for fixing issues. We give people many chances over many months before we even think about getting our legal division involved. I think in the last 10 years our division has only shut down one facility for absolutely refusing to follow any sanitation procedures (a family from over seas ran the place).
>>
>>1258285
>biscuit
Fucking Ameritards, those things are scones.
>>
>>1258194
If it pleases the Crown may I p..p..please sell nourishment to my f..f..ellow peasants?

Fuck the Government.

But seriously OP, prepare to drown in permits/inspections. Don't forget you need a CDL to operate ANY vehicle in a commercial manner over 10,000 GVWR.
>>
>>1258696
AHAHAHAHAHA! triggered af copfag detected.

Dude. Chill the fuck out. Got a ton of first responders in my family. Dispatchibg is actually what kept me from being a cop.

>fucking adult babysitter.
"No"

Let alone the rediculous bullshit going in these days.

Fucking gangbangers runnibg thwir mouth and all you get to do is politely stand there or hand cuff them amd hauk them to jail.

Fuck no. I can just as easiky beat an upidy mutherfucker with a stick or dual weild my kimber .45s and fire away if a dipshit brings a knife to a gunfight.

Fuck that. I put up cameras all over my small town and when i catch someone stealing shit i show up at their Fucking house.

>hey anon i got something to show you on this tablet.

Return the stolen shit
Appologize to the owner
Give them $100

You have 3 days or i will find you and i will beat your fucking ass and THEN i wilk give the vidya to the cops. Faggot.

Dude stole a fucking $2 lawn ornament in broad daylight.

Did my business as usual

>mfw he flees to Arizona like 1,000 mikes away.

It's funny. If he made it right i was going to show him how to make them. Its fucking easy.
>>
>>1258994
They don't taste like or have the texture of scones. How are they scones?
>>
>>1259160
Well they're not biscuits that's for fucking sure, biscuits are barely aerated or risen at all.
>>
>>1259202
In the picture, it literally says 'biscuits' on the bottom right side of the can.
>>
>>1258235
not so much trucks(vans) as proper shops though
>>
>>1259160
Don't pay any attention to him, he keeps his torch in the boot, gets to the second floor by using a lift, and when he works on electronics he sol'-ders al-u-min'-i-um. Tell him to fuck off.
>>
>>1259203
In burgerland sure, but not anywhere else. Don't know why they suddenly decided to rename perfectly good words.

>>1259224
>speaks language called "english"
Fuck off or invent your own fucking language instead of diluting ours with your illiterate filth.
>>
>>1259567
We still speak it pretty much like you did when we threw you out, err..., gained our independence. You're the ones that changed, what with not pronouncing most of your R's because it sounds so high and mighty and shit, because that's how rich southern Brits were talking. Drinking your tea with your pinky sticking out like faggots while you eat your "scones," which have more sugar in them than our biscuits do, just so you know. Fucking limeys, all acting like the sun never sets on your empire or something, get over yourselves.
>>
>>1258124
I know these mini "donut" stands that pop up at events. Really just round churos with a hole, usually served with sugar. And those seem to be selling fairly well. If making fresh, really good donuts is feasible I think it could be a profitable business in the right area. I certainly would be buying it.

The question is if cooled or even frozen dough works. I don't see a reason why it wouldn't.
>>
>>1259582
Well I'm equally a colonyfag, it's the fact that down under we're influenced strongly by both nations so I end up dealing with both versions to a limited extent, especially from the millenials, and It can be frustrating being trapped in a cultural struggle we have little control over.

Either way, what's life like without a little shitposting, ay?
>>
File: 1507630879303.jpg (148 KB, 800x708)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
>>1259639
This guy >>1259203 again.

Goddamm you are fucked up. First of all, the brits have three different types of 'scones', none of which are like the biscuit in the image. Americans have a thing called a scone too, and it's exactly what a Brit would call a scone, if he was specifically referring to the sweet kind.

Second, why aren't you confabulating the biscuit with what we in America call a cookie? At least that is a real confusion between the languages (even though an American biscuit is clearly pictured).

Third of all, I'm not a mellineial and, in fact, may very well be older than your petulant, whiny, self righteous ass. I'm reading your post and literally visualizing a 7 year old child with tears dripping out of his eyes, snot dripping out of his nose, and sausage gravy dripping out of his mouth, all collecting in to a disgusting grey mixture of what, I imagine, closely resembles the semen that you were ultimately created from. Grow the fuck up dude. Nobody cares about how you feel torn between two cultures.

For every other anon, pay attention. This >>1259639 is what it looks like when you put all of your criminals on one island and they inbreed with each other for generations.
>>
>>1259639
Well shit Anon! Down under? In that case I take back the "limey," and happy shitposting!
>>
>>1258194
Yet so many thrive...
>>
>>1258124
Make Sata Andagi, they are from Okanawa. ( you could still customize them with flavored sugar toppings, etc)

From Japan, so it has that appeal.
>>
>>1258124
Donut fillings are easier than donut toppings. You pour the filling into a machine that you can seal and use to injects the filling with little needle like spouts, while for toppings you have to dip the whole donut in an open pool of topping that takes up way more space.
>>
>>1258124
go for it.

99% of the "food trucks" here are decrepit 1970s winnebagos selling "tacos" (i.e. drugs)

Location, location, location.

Make sure you can get the proper permits for your area to set up shop where your customers are.

>donuts
You'd better have a plan for decent coffee as well.
>>
>>1258194
>inspections will drown you
well, you can either:
a) not run a vermin-infested shithole
b) become "friends" with the inspector
>>
>>1258124
>donuts
>the grab-and-go breakfast for people who are in a hurry
>made-to-order

Be prepared to have a lot of angry customers who are screaming to hurry up since they're already late.

I wish I had a job where I could leisurely grab a bespoke donut for breakfast. What kind of career allows for such frivolities? Self-employed "web designers"?
>>
>>1260030
Damn dood. Just because your life sucks doesn't mean everybody's life sucks. If youre always late, why don't you try leaving for work a few minutes earlier?

Also, you're assuming that you can only sell doughnuts to business folks downtown between the hours of 8am and 10am, but you can find markets for this operation morning, noon, and night.
>>
>>1260140
I assume a donut stand would run incredibly well close to any larger event
>>
>>1260030
>Be prepared to have a lot of angry customers who are screaming to hurry up since they're already late.

>People already running late choose made to order food over just stopping at a gas station

It makes me sad that people are actually this dumb
>>
>>1260165
>close to any large event

I'd say a doughnut stand would work pretty well parked next to a hole in the wall local bar on a regular Tuesday night.
>>
>>1260030
sorry you're american but people in real countries don't have 4 hour commutes and can afford to leave a little earlier to pick up some timbits or something once in a while
>>
>>1258285
Can't you par bake them? Like pizza dough?
>>
File: icame.jpg (46 KB, 610x458)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>1258290
They are passable at best. To me they taste very dry, like drier than regular cake. But yeast donuts are so warm, orgasmically melt in your mouth yummy, fucking godly texture... [drools]
>>
>>1260027
Rofl, this anon thinks most food trucks sell drugs. How dumb do you need to be?
>>
>>1258124
Theres usually a ton on or around university campus' that drop by at least once a week.
>>
File: creamed.jpg (63 KB, 1024x952)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>1258124
food truck's are expensive and so are the foods sold. Maybe learn spanish and have the beaners on the corner slang them for you instead of oranges. If they don't meet quota you can threaten them with deportation.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.