[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 6 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: brush end.jpg (1.73 MB, 2736x2052)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB JPG
These brushes are from a vacuum cleaner motor. They're made from two pieces of different material, one visibly more porous than the other. The porous material is a lot softer than the other half.
Both brushes from this motor, and two from another motor, are like this so I don't think it's a defect. If there's a reason for this, it must be important which half of the brush comes first with respect to the motor's rotation.
Maybe the softer material comes first to help prevent the harder material from damaging the edges of the commutator contact? I don't know. I've never seen brushes like this before, and I'm not sure what orientation they were in originally. Any suggestions?
>>
File: brush side.jpg (1.87 MB, 2736x2052)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB JPG
side view.
>>
i'm pretty sure the soft black material is graphite. i've seen brushes that were only made of graphite, and am not sure about the harder material. graphite conducts electricity VERY well and also acts a lubricant. you might try to ascertain which side of the slot it came out of has more wear, and which has more black powder.
>>
>>1259439
look for the wear pattern.
Some brushes use both carbon and a softer metal (carbon acts as a lube) softer metal helps the brush last longer since pure carbon is rather brittle. Best look up the part and any breakdown. Usually brushes only go in one way.
>>
>>1259439
Its like that to make the brush last longer. Most people buying vacuums dont know what a brush is and never intend to replace one. A pure graphite brush will work in its place just fine and wont damage the commutator, it just wont last as long. As for what orientation they were in i have no idea. How did you disassemle 4 brush assemblies and not think to check the orientation once?
>>
>>1260809
Two of them are new-old-stock and didn't come installed in a motor.
The two from the first motor, I had both of them out before I even realized the two halves were made of different material.

I put them in with the carbon brush coming first with respect to the rotation. It probably doesn't matter much, other things will likely kill this machine before the brushes wear down significantly.
>>
Rotating the position of the brushes is good.

Worry not of their positions, but their orientation.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.