[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 37 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Meta on /qa/ only.
All meta discussion of boards is to be redirected to /qa/.

File: IMG_1785.jpg (23 KB, 251x201)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
Forge and foundry general. Discuss everything related to blacksmithing, casting, and general metalwork.

I'm currently looking at what style of forge and how big of a shop I'd need for when I move in about a month.

Anyone have any recommendations, pictures, or experiences to share about your shops and setups?
>>
Looking to get into lost wax, wonder what the chepeast possible set up would be, will mostly be rings and other small trinkets so I'm hoping gravity is enough to force the molten metal into with mold without needing a vacuum table.

That being said, anyone know a cheap alternative to a vacuum pump, I've read you can take the compressor from a fridge but not sure how true that is or where to get one. Also Freon problems if done manually.
>>
>>1267851
I once saw a video where this was accomplished with the wax from Baybel cheese wheels. That melted out the wax, but save for a few pockets and bubbles, it turned out fine.
>>
A fridge compressor should work (27in M)but the flow is rubbish. If you store the vacuum in a tank, perhaps a 9kg lpg using a couple valves, no reason why it shouldn't. Your expense is going to be a programmable kiln for the casting plaster. Give it enough time you will find a cheap one. I have.
>>
>>1267855
Was looking at building one with fire bricks and an electric heating element, as long as it gets to 1200f (I think ) it'll cure correctly, other wise from what I've read the temp doesn't need to be managed to much, I've never done it before though so this is just what I've read
>>
>>1267854
I plan on making silicone wax molds from clay models and using pellets, then doing small finishing before casting. Any bubbles would bother me but It would be cool to try.
>>
>>1267855
What do you mean store in a tank?

Sorry bout multiple posts, mobile posting is shit
>>
>>1267870
>>1267855
I also would like to know what you mean, I have a fridge compressor waiting to be turned into a vacuum pump, I seen a video where the molten metal was poured into a lost pls plaster cast. It came out perfect, any details on this technique? Couldn't find any info on it, not really sure what to Google, thanks

Link to vid.

Pic related it's the machine closest to the camera
>>
>>1267851
for small jewellery-size castings, in bronze or hotter, a centrifuge is sufficient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmR8-zjBsik

you are better off investing in a good kiln, to do the burnout for the investment, than any vacuum casting kit.

centrifuges of that style are easy to make if you have a nice big spring.
>>
>>1267911
Ah I figured.vacuum would be easier for some reason. Also lack of confidence in my own craftsman ship has me hesitant to build a potential molten metal catapult haha. No time like the present to get over that fear
>>
File: DSCF4268.jpg (223 KB, 922x692)
223 KB
223 KB JPG
>>1267626
>>
Not a smith or metalworker but I need a little bit of it for turning old shitty files into blades, casting pot metal and things like that.

What are good tools to get for hardening/tempering/annealing tool-sized items? I was thinking about getting a blowtorch or butane torch, gloves, apron, and some tongs. Preferably something that won't fall apart in 10-20 years. I have a clamp-on vise with a small anvil on the back, though I don't intend to do much (if any) hammering, just shaping with files and the grinder.
>>
Anyone have experience with microwaveable "faster plaster" to get around using a kiln?
>>
File: this kinda thing.jpg (28 KB, 500x375)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
I started collecting the stuff to make a little paintcan style propane forge.
I've got or can find everything else pretty easily, but I'm not sure about the burner.
I'd like to /diy/ it since I'm doing everything else myself and the components are like 10$ worth of plumbing supplies, but I've got basically no experience with gas stuff or anything related.
The design I'm looking at is http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/oliverburner1.html
Seems simple enough, but I'd rather not fuck something up and explode, and I'm sure the design lacks something in exchange for its simplicity, whether it is performance or efficiency or what.
I could buy a generic propane torch head for like 30$ or 50$ instead, but I don't know if they'd put out enough heat or hold up to sustained temperatures or if I'm being stupid not just buying some pipes and drilling a couple holes.

I just want to use it for small knives, hooks, bottle openers, standard beginner blacksmith shit. It would be nice if it got hot enough to weld because I'd like to try it, but I'm sure that's beyond me for long enough that I'll want an upgrade before I do anything serious with forgewelding.

Anyone have any experience/input?
>>
Want a double or triple burner setup. Have to make 2 of them.

Anyone have good luck or cheap blueprints?
>>
File: forge.jpg (60 KB, 960x720)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>1267626
I have a quaint shop in my 1.5 car garage, that is loads more space then I could need. I made my first forge with firebricks and made a burner using the RR EZ burner design. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my forge however and lining it with insulation and refractory cement to achieve the temps needed for forge welding.
>>
>>1267956
I remember you, you posted in my thread on /b/ about hook prices. What's up anon?
>>
>>1273104
Toolmaking and copper work mostly. I also have plans on buying a powerhammer next summer, so that'll be nice.
>>
>>1268220
I did one of those, the forge held up fine but the torch was too weak to get the temperatures I needed. Either get an excessively powerful torch that can be tuned to a lower setting or find some equations for estimating the amount of power needed for the volume of your forge. The igniter on the blowtorch will probably melt from being stuck in there but the torch itself shouldn't be harmed, you'll just have to do manual ignition.
>>
Not sure if i should ask here. But has another made an artsy rivet setter? I've been doing some normal domed rivets and thought it would be gucci as fuck if i could make the rivets look like some sort flower.

I was thinking shape the rivet like normal, and then press a die into it to form the shape.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pavhCwqUnc
>>
>>1267962
Blowtorch probably won't heat it up enough, make one of these paint can forges using refractory wool and lining. Could probably make such a forge for about 50 dollars.
>>
File: I8QlqUVh_400x400.jpg (22 KB, 400x400)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>1267626
Mfw i will never get to own a commercial foundry
>>
>>1274999
I casted 3 pounds of aluminum with a rosebid tip and torch
>>
File: forgwe.jpg (103 KB, 720x960)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
Test fired the new burner, waiting for my rigidizer to show up before I install the insulation but that won't be here for another week. Finished, the inside will measure 6.5"x6.5"x13.5". Forge will be a two burner set up with 0-30psi pressure capabilities. Can't wait to try forge welding when its all said and done.
>>
File: beauty flower.jpg (124 KB, 720x960)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
Anyone else make flowers?
>>
File: DSC_0001.jpg (1.38 MB, 2896x1944)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB JPG
>>1275253
I've done a couple but not quite like that, the glass case is really cool
>>
File: 1503425289794.jpg (250 KB, 1000x1600)
250 KB
250 KB JPG
>All these gas smiths

>I have a coal powered forge

I get its all nice clean and easy with gas and ive considered it several times but there is something cozy about having burning coal and fire.
>>
>>1275587
If I didn't live where I do I would have a coal forge. I have a lot of neighbors in close proximity so a coal forge is out of the question.
>>
>>1275587
I have about 5 tons in storage just in case the good coal mines shut down.
>>
>>1275587
Eh I already have gas avalable, no need to go coal powered
>>
Ive been forging for a while but Im pretty new to casting; Im having trouble getting started.

Basically Im trying to make small ring out of something malleable but firm enough to keep its shape. Ive tried candle wax and bar soap so far but when I try to carve the smaller details into the material it ends up breaking apart. Im just not sure what sort of material can be given small details but keep its shape like I need it to.

If any of this helps I have a 2000°F forge, Im planning on using plaster for the mold and Im making the ring flat to start off then Im gunna wrap it around a rod to give it a ring shape.
>>
>>1277269
Sometimes the simplest solution is the easiest.
Try carving the shape for your mold out of wood.
If you have a dremel, then you can get a lot of detail in.
>>
>>1277269
There is specialty wax for this exact purpose. There's even stuff already in a tube shape meant to be carved into rings.
>>
>>1277290
Not very handy at wood carving but Ill try it out. I do have a dremel.

>>1277293
Know of any by name?
>>
>>1277340
Jeweller's wax or something like that, you'll find it easily
>>
>>1275253
Uhh..... i am now
>>
>>1275587
Nearest coal is 4 hours away
>>
>>1277269
I think you can make a custom carving wax. Unironicaly google might be more help. Or check out the youtubes. Get you a good ckay graphite crucible and some petro bonded green sand off amazon.

Good luck anon. Get a good face shield and wear cotton
>>
>>1277347
>>1277340

"ferris file-a-wax".

http://www.freemanwax.com/ferris-file-a-wax-carving-milling-waxes.html

blue is flexy, good for very thin work. green is hard, takes a great polish. purple is a happy medium.

cut it, shape with file, scalpel, emery paper and wire wool. polish on lint-free cloth, then sprue up and cast.
>>
File: IMG_20171113_172151_970.jpg (2.92 MB, 3072x3840)
2.92 MB
2.92 MB JPG
Ive made a lot of roses so today I figured I would try my hand at a white cala lily. Ive seen others make them and figured how hard could it be. It was a bit trickier then the roses but Im pleased with how it turned out
>>
File: IMG_20171113_222250_964.jpg (2.53 MB, 3072x3721)
2.53 MB
2.53 MB JPG
>>1277687
Decided I'd try out a different color. I dig it.
>>
>>1277340
https://www.riogrande.com/search?q=wax&c=&t=1&pageSize=32

Obviously get the carving wax rather than the injection stuff.

The injection stuff is for silicon molds that you fill with melted wax to mass produce your wax models.
>>
Easiest method of /diy/ charcoal?
>>
>>1275587
>that pic
That's a small pipe
>>
>>1275417
that's pretty nice anon
>>
>>1277476
Haha. Sold that one for $140 Didn't take a pic of the base after it was stained. Turned out really nice.
>>
>>1278254
Damn, nice.
How long do they take and where do you sell them?
Ebay/etsy or some local store or something?
>>
File: SDC13515.jpg (77 KB, 640x480)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>1273190
http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=169445&start=1085
>>
File: roses2.jpg (212 KB, 1440x1080)
212 KB
212 KB JPG
>>1278286
That one took about 2 hours to do, its about 6" across with 4 layers. These guys that I sell(approx 3" across with 3 layers) for $30 each I've worked it down to about 45 minutes each. I sell them locally, through facebook and buy and sell groups.
>>
>>1278168
5(5)gallon metal barrel/bucket, big wood chips/chunks inside, put lid on, puts couple holes in it to let wood gas and expanding air out but not enough to let air in, put on fire, wait...... Charcoal. tada you made it buckaroo! All you gotta do now is break it to the size you want
>>
>>1278254
Jeebus...
>>
>>1267626
how hard is it to get a forge or foundry certified to make castings for aerospace components?
>>
>>1279831
Its not really a matter of how hard it is, more a matter of how deep your pockets are to get the needed ISO certifications.
>>
>>1279831
You'll need to do extensive testing off all components and have a very well documented and standardized process to get certified. I think the usual test batch number for aerospace stuff is at least 750 identical test articles.

And even then, all aerospace companies have their own suppliers.
>>
>>1267897
would also like to know
>>
>>1279831
>how hard is it to get a forge or foundry certified to make castings for aerospace components?

If you have to ask you aren't rich enough to do it. Best place to ask would be the Practical Machinist forums which are directed at professionals.
>>
Does anyone of you do forgeries in the middle of a big city?
I want to get into this but I'm afraid I'll annoy the shit out of everyone around me

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.