[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: house plan.png (347 KB, 532x612)
347 KB
347 KB PNG
Who else would like to build there own house way down the line? I'm looking at taking lessons in this kind of thing for a couple years then going out and building the house I'd retire in. I'd still get the foundation and superstructure done by professionals but I'd like to do all the internal stuff like drywall and trimming. Who else would like build some or all of their house eventually?

Pic related, the house I'd like to build
>>
File: base floor plan.jpg (86 KB, 500x686)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>1272318
I like it, looks small, how many sqft?
this is the base plan i liked for a small 4 bedroom victorian looking house
>>
>>1272318
Volunteer for Habitat for Humanity. Stupid shit like framing is easy as hell. You could learn it from a book. Once you get into finish work, like drywall or cabinetry, you will find that it is not so easy to get it to look right. It can take years to master some of the 'simple' jobs like hanging a door from scratch let alone doing the cabinetry for an entire kitchen.
>>
File: modified floor plan.jpg (89 KB, 734x808)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
And this is how i modified it to make it better for my needs. I have wide cars and also wanted a seperate shower in the master bath so i made the whole side of that house wider which also added more space to the second bathroom and tiny guest room. I opened up the kitchen and created a closet in what would be my husbands music studio so he can store his suits and dj stuff in there.

It's a work in progress, I've changed the design so many times.
>>
File: 1350_SW%20copy.jpg (93 KB, 800x490)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>1272318
most of my other plans are on old pc
>>
>>1272453
Did you make that?
>>
File: 1204%20SQFT%20LFP%20a.jpg (100 KB, 1200x776)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>1272453
No, but I have dabbled in design. Interior of previous post
>>
>>1272435
It's about 2500 square feet, I like small houses though
>>
>>1272464
is the furniture not to scale? looking at and redoing floorplans is a relaxing hobby of mine and that does not look 2500 sqft, looks half that actually. In reality those rooms would be very large and the furniture would look tiny. check how big 2500sqft single story houses are http://www.eplans.com/house-plans/epl/catalogsearch/advanced/#criteria[hw_num_bedrooms][]=3&criteria[hw_num_stories][]=1&criteria[hw_sq_ft][min]=2400&criteria[hw_sq_ft][max]=2600
>>
>>1272461
I have lived in a house with an open kitchen. It sucks. Can't use the living room when the dishwasher is running because of the noise. The whole house smells like whatever is being cooked. God forbid you burn something.

I'd swap the kitchen and the dining room. I'd then put the breakfast bar running left/right between them. Connect it to the east wall right about where the stove is in that picture. Having the living room and dining room right next to each other makes the house feel bigger and also allows you to expand one into the other for special events like a party or something. It was actually a common design with older homes.
>>
>>1272470
That wasn't me. The front area with the kitchen and sitting area is probably going to be around 250 and the back area with the hallway 500 (the plan isn't to scale). I'm thinking I'll also have a woodshop as a separate out building in addition to that.
>>
>>1272475
nice thing about building your own house is just add the walls if you feel like it
>>
>>1272435
>all that space
>default tiny ass fucking bathrooms

step it up senpai
>>
>>1272461
>tiny bathrooms
enjoy your claustrophobia
>>
>>1272318
Okay people.
I'm going to tell you all something very important right now and you had better listen ---

Bathrooms.
got it?
BATHROOMS!

BATHROOMS NEED TO BE BIGGER THAN A SMALL CLOSET.

Okay? Got that?

BATHROOMS SHOULD BE A MINIMUM OF 12FT x 12 FT

TILED FLOOR, TILED WALLS AND TILED CEILING
MULTIPLE DRAINS IN FLOOR

This is a minimum to start.
>>
>>1272488
I'm not claustrophobic, though you must be. here you go
>>
>>1272497
yes that's better thank you.
>>
File: bathroom.jpg (66 KB, 752x563)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>1272497
>>1272500
More like this though (pic related)
>>
File: RudolfKIHEUTE.gif (13 KB, 800x559)
13 KB
13 KB GIF
>>
>>1272485
huh? in my modified plan i made both the bathrooms bigger see >>1272440
The house is only 1700ish sqft with 9 ft ceilings because i like cozy small houses. I cant make the bathrooms much bigger than i already did without losing a bedroom, which i need for kids.
>>
File: untitled.jpg (13 KB, 156x178)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>1272491
and at least 2 toilets per bathroom ayyye
>>
File: mitchcraft-1.jpg (301 KB, 900x600)
301 KB
301 KB JPG
Considering that I'll probably be single forever, that it would take me half my life to save up for a house otherwise, and that it would allow me to circumvent building codes that put Hitler to shame, I can see myself living in a trailer house, and I would certainly love to build it myself, just so long as I can slip this form of residence under the radars of authorities.
>>
>>1272464
2500 sqft is huge as fuck if it doesn't include storage space. I grew up in a family of four in 1500 sqft plus storage, and space was entirely adequate and comfortable. Of course we didn't have seperate rec rooms or gaming rooms or guest rooms, but who really makes sufficient use of those to warrant having them in the first place?
>>
>>1272491
>tiled ceilings
>drains in floor
You like to get messy, don't you? Also a bathroom's role is to provide hygiene functions, and you'll spend hardly half an hour a day in it. As soon as it fits a sink and a toilet and a washing machine and a bathtub and some cleaning storage it fulfills its function, it's not a living area.
>>
>>1272497
kek
>>
>>1272515
You might be unaware of how tall 9 ft ceilings are if you like cozy houses. I mean, you can make spaces with tall ceilings cozy if you try hard enough, there are some victorian townhouses with really high ceilings here, like 12 ft or so, university students love putting loft beds in them, but in most houses I've rarely seen ceilings taller than around 8 ft.
>>
>>1272954
Trailer homes are mobile homes for hipsters. Just buy a 5th wheel home or a real mobile home. They are cheaper, especially if used, better and more comfortable. Don't buy into the shit tiny home meme.
>>
File: DSCF2196.jpg (244 KB, 1600x1200)
244 KB
244 KB JPG
>>1272997
Real mobile homes aren't a thing here. Camper trailers aren't made to last. They're built for lightness. Also the camper trailer interior aesthetic is absolutely horrible. Circus artists used to live full time in these kinda trailers while travelling around (nowadays they just go through camper trailers like underwear because circus doesn't pay as much as it used to), and some manufacturers are still making them new. There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to own a trailer sized home with proper materials and build quality.
>>
Are open kitchens a meme?
>>
>>1273008
Depends on how big they are; for smaller homes they're absolutely 100% a meme unless you're living in something the size of a motor home.
>>
>>1272973
No I get get how tall they are, I like tall ceilings, In the uk I had a small row house with 12 ft ceilings on ground floor and 10 ft upstairs like the ones you're talking about. My current house has 8ft ceilings, which are fine but a bit low, espcially when you have fancy light fixtures that hang down to 7ft. I'm trying to hit that sweet spot of airy meets cozy. I found another plan that had 12ft ceilings in the large living room, I liked the plan but think that would be too much, like too ostentatious, idk i really do like the plan though...
http://www.eplans.com/house-plans/epl/hwepl75069.html?from=search
>>
>>1272954
>>1273001
I get what you're saying and agree with other poster on the get a real mobile home or manufactured, for pricepoint they cant be beat...
But imo small homes are a meme. I would build a 700 sq ft 2 bed 1 bath house, which would probably cost 40-50k if contracted. It would also be legal in most places. the problem with tiny homes built on trailers is that they lack space and will suck for mobility issues when you get old. Most people who build them sell them after a year or 2.
with a small 2 bed home like http://www.eplans.com/house-plans/epl/hwepl77939.html?from=search

It offers you more space, a secondary room for guests or a child if you do meet a girl and will feel like a real home where you can stretch out. A construction loan rolled into a 15 yr mortgage would be 500 a month. Shit rent out the spare room for 400 a month and you're good.
>>
>>1273346
Are you sure you get what I'm saying? Because I've specifically said that pretty much any construction with a foundation would be subject to building permits and building codes that put Hitler to shame, in addition to higher costs. The whole idea isn't motivated as much by lifestyle but rather a practical approach to save me an entire boatload of headaches. Maybe I could just as well illegally move into a small weekend bungalow, but the trailer approach would allow for an even better control over my environment, and it could move with me.
>>
File: plan.jpg (98 KB, 922x536)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
what do you think?
>>
>>1273368
>a practical approach
how is living in an expensive shoe box a practical approach? Those things cost a fortune to build, are not permitted on most lots, have no room for family, friends or kids and will be redundant when you get to old to scale a ladder to get to bed?
They are a meme. Everyone who builds one moves out after a year or 2. Build a cabin or get an rv.
>>
>>1273371
Siegeable/10
>>
>>1273377
Square meter cost is high because they condense amenities in a small space. Of course something that's large and empty will be cheaper to build per square meter, but the overall cost will still be much higher. And any trailer will be cheaper to build than a house, which as I said comes with a million regulations and hoops to jump through, ties you to a location and to decades of payments, and in usual construction you can't do on your own. Maybe it's not unifiable with your own life plans and priorities, but if it's not in contrast with someone's lifestyle there is a case to be made for trailer houses.
>>
>>1273386
They're definitely cheaper to maintain and heat but you'll notice how cramped it is and get sick of it fast.
>>
I might have missed it but what program is being used to generate images?

Currently looking at renovating a house with three bed, converted garage, addtl room over garage.
>>
>>1273464
For just the floor plan use room sketcher
>>
>>1273413

A house really only needs to provide a place to eat, sleep and wash up, there is an entire world outside your house to stretch out in.
>>
I want to do a japanese bath in my next house.

>toilets are in separate water closets. use toilets that are washlets and hand wash sink build into the top of the tank.
>then you have a room with a 2 sink vanity and the laundry machines. the various sundries for bathing are also kept here.
>then from that room you can enter the shower/bath room. which is completely tiled and drain in the floor. You have a shower on the wall. A hand held model that can be rest in a mount up high or mid way. so you can stand or sit while washing. then off to the side away from the door, is the soaking tub. an insulated, deep, and self heating tub. Not to wash in but to soak and and let the heat relax your body and soul.
>>
>>1273138
open kitchens are for people who dont actually cook. you wouldnt want the smell of something like sauerkraut or curry in other rooms. Big open kitchens are for soccer moms who are barely capable of using the microwave
>>
File: haus plan.png (148 KB, 528x322)
148 KB
148 KB PNG
>>1274072
i roughed out my idea.

first floor on the left. second floor on the right.
>>
>>1272318
Don't center so many doors. Maybe some storage or closet space...
>>
>>1272491
Also, there is a trend with lazy builders to make the bathroom only exactly the length of the tube/shower unit. Don't do that...
>>
>>1273338
Mixed heights of ceiling throughout house, high in public areas, lower in private areas and other specific needs locations.
>>
protip:

always
always
always
always

have at least two bathrooms
>>
>>1274707
water closets.
>>
>>1272318
The design is quite right there is only a problem on the laundry door that must be opened through the inside not in the corridor, and you should swap the bathroom with the gim so you will have better paths while using it during the day
>>
>>1272318
Put the bathroom toilet wall against the kitchen sink wall. Water walls have to touch each other so pipes are easy to work with/install/maintain and are thicker for said pipes.
>>
>>1274133
>you wouldnt want the smell of something like sauerkraut or curry in other rooms.

Why not? Shit's delicious and the smell wafting in to other rooms tells everyone supper's ready
>>
>>1272491
P R E A C H

ALL BATHROOMS SHOULD BE WETROOMS WITH DRAINS AND WALL TO WALL TILING

I FEEL VERY STRONGLY ABOUT THIS ISSUE AS WELL

I LIKE TO BE ABLE TO SUDS MYSELF UP AND ROLL AROUND ON THE FLOOR

MEDITATE IN THE STEAM, BLANCH MY PORES

I WOULD ALSO LIKE MY MASTER BATHROOM TO HAVE TWO TOILETS AND TWO SINKS SO

>>1272497
YOU'RE CLOSER TO THE MARK THAN YOU THINK
>>
If any of you are interested in virtual design software, look up Situhome. Just use a throwaway email to sign up, and there you go.
>>
>>1272485
>>1272488
>>1272491
Why this obsession with overly large bathrooms?
I have a nice bathroom, about 2m x 2m, it fits a toilet, a sink, and a bathtub.

Unless your family is like 6 people or more I can't see why you'd want more than one bathroom, and I can't understand why you'd make it larger than it need to be.

>>1274790
>ALL BATHROOMS SHOULD BE WETROOMS WITH DRAINS AND WALL TO WALL TILING
Aren't all bathrooms like that?
>>
>>1274133
You can still close the bedroom doors.
>>
>>1274851
My bathroom isn't and even has a cork floor. Showering is what the tub is for, there's absolutely no reason to flood the rest of the room with water.
>>
>>1274707
Having separate guest bathrooms or a seperate bathroom for almost every bedroom is a complete meme and an expensive waste of space and materials.
>>
>>1272946
Not a bad plan. Ideally on opposite walls facing one another. That way me and the missus could finally have eye contact while we take our morning shits.
>>
File: kamenna-rozhledna.jpg (681 KB, 1440x1920)
681 KB
681 KB JPG
My dream is to live like a hermit in a stone tower in the middle of nowhere. Have about 4 floors and a basement - bedroom, kitchen, music room, and living room. I'm not one for human company and don't plan to ever be in a close relationship with anyone, so I only need it to fit one person and several cats.

Will getting water and electricity be a problem? what are the upsides and downsides of building using stone? what kind of terrain/soil is ideal for such a structure? what should the staircase be like?

pic related, the general look I'm into
>>
>>1274876
About living in the midle on nowhere: It's not hard getting electricity with solar panels for just one person to use. Water in the other hand should be obtained through a well only if it's assured to be safe to drink. Other than that you would need to add water jugs to the list of your regular monthly grocery shopping.
About stone: Has a high thermal storage but also high thermal resistivity, meaning it takes long to lose the heat on it but it also takes long to be heated and lose cold, so its important to allow most of the surface to be radiated by the sun externally, and even internally through big windows, though an internal constant heating system is also necessary, where a geothermal heating system could be a cheap interesting solution. Also place it covered from cold winds.
Other solution is build with proper isolating materials and cover it externally with stone cladding just for the stony appearance.
Interior, though thick stone walls is better to keep cool in hot places or summer for cheap, not needing AC systems.
Staircase and interior in general should be wood, though in the basic narrow medieval towers, staircase is an important structural element that keep the whole thing stable, nowadays building codes require a proper structural solution, like a solid framework or stable well built walls instead of just piled stones, like concrete walls or concrete or steel structures. If wall built with just stones, those should be interconnected in some way, forming a whole stable structural wall.
About Terrain: stone structures weight literally a lot. Soil should be as hard and stable as possible. Eventually, hard rock homogeneous soil can serve as foundations by themselves. As you move to softer or more disaggregated soils foundations must me built bigger and bigger. Foundations are meant to distribute the load and compress the soil in order to obtain a solid stable base to build your thing on top of, and your thing must also be attached to them.
>>
File: retard bathroom.png (59 KB, 1005x610)
59 KB
59 KB PNG
Don't know what the genius that designed my tiny bathroom was thinking.
Since it's an apartment building, pipes run under the floor, this mean, by the ceiling of the flat below and barely nothing can be changed the easy way.

I wonder if there is a way to improve this mess without too much work and expenses.
>>
>>1274925
Thanks, seems I'll have to dive deeper into water and electricity solutions
>>
>>1274967
>pocket door
>swap the locations of the toilet and sink.
>>
>>1274975
filters and UV systems can make water safe to drink.
>>
>>1274857
Until you have 4 friends over and they all need to crap at the same time.
>>
>>1275035
at most you need 2 showers. in case your household has multiple people showering in the morning before work or school.

water closets make a better solution to your scenario. a toilet with a hand wash sink in the tank.
>>
>>1274851
>Unless your family is like 6 people or more I can't see why you'd want more than one bathroom

All it takes is one overly long shower at an inopportune moment and you'll be eyeing the kitchen sink as a urinal

One toilet on every floor and two toilets minimum or the house is a glorified shack.
>>
>>1275035
I've never had four friends (or even two friends) having to crap at the same time in the 29 years of my life, and I'm not going to spend thousands on an extra bathroom (especially an entire bathroom as opposed to just an extra toilet) for the one in a million chance of this occuring. Like, just fucking hold your shit in for ten more minutes. I guess it would be smart to divide your bathroom and toilet into two rooms in case someone needs to pee while someone else is showering (apparently common in some countries), but this on-suite for every bedroom and an additional guest bathroom on every floor obsession of new developments is absolutely idiotic.
>>
>>1275132
>apparently common in some countries

Are the countries where no one ever needs to pee or is it just socially acceptable there to go outside and piss in herb garden
>>
>>1275149
Generally people don't wait until the last second to go to the toilet.
>>
>>1275154
Sure bruh just get up early to relieve that bladder

Oh wait, someone's in there
They're still in there
They're still in there
They're still in there
What do you know, it's "the last second" and they're still in there
>>
>>1275157
just pee in the kitchen sink when nobody is around like I do
>>
Building your own isn't that bad. I've talked about mine on here before, I'm behind schedule by quite a bit, but I just finished framing the first floor, it's not that bad bro, read a book, watch a YouTube video, buy the tools and get to it
>>
>>1275196
the point of planning your own home is to avoid living in such abject squalor
>>
>>1272438
I like that no one responded to your post and instead just keeps posting stupid ass blueprints.
>>
As someone who already planned out and got elevations for their own home build, I can give a few words;

Drafting up a home-build is incredibly simple and easy. Reading only a few library books is enough to work with a draftsman to get some cheap elevations and ideas together and most home builders work with MUCH less. Most "builders" these days sub out 100% of labor and only perform an experienced administrative and managerial function (which is still a critical component to success). This means that if you put in a little effort and passion, any layman can fulfill at least 50% of that role for their own build.

The bad news is that home-builders don't like dealing with hands-on owners or want to peak at whats being done behind the scenes or how money is being spent. Detail oriented clients who know exactly what they want and how the housing racket works are not their desired paychecks.

There are books and memes out there at being your own contractor 100% but I seriously don't recommend it to someone outside the business building a conventional house. The organizational and oversight requirement are IMMENSE because sub-contractors are the living-fucking-embodiment of Murphy's Law. It takes McGuver like skills to get all the pieces to fit together smoothly and handle the numerous and inevitable complications and shitfests that arise during the entire process. I wouldn't want to pay a 30-50% commission for the service, but 10-15% is more than fair I think for what they do, assuming they do it right.
>>
>>1274854
>Showering is what the tub is for, there's absolutely no reason to flood the rest of the room with water.
a beg to differ. i have many reasons why the entire room should be flooded with water
>>
>>1274851
>Aren't all bathrooms like that?
no. they are not. most average residential bathrooms are not built like "wetrooms"
though they should be
>>
>>1274876
>so I only need it to fit one person and several cats.
your like that one weird old lady that lives on the corner of the block.
do you also collect old newspapers and have them stacked to the ceiling in your living room and dining area?
>>
>>1275157
THIS IS LITERALLY WHAT EMPTY GATORADE BOTTLES ARE FOR.
TRULY, HAVE YOU LEARNED NOTHING FROM /DIY/ ?
>>
>>1275279
That's really more of a /jp/ thing
>>
>>1272318
I'm planning on building an earthship once my bitcoins moon.
>>
>>1272453
>>1273371
Are flat/accessible roofs an actual thing or just a meme? It's rare to see one on a single house, though they're very common on apartment buildings and such. I've heard they're harder to waterproof and snow piles up a lot on top of them, but is it really that much of a problem?
>>
Depending on how you choose to construct your house you may only need to the foundation done by professionals. As long as you know what you are doing you could build the structure yourself, especially if you are using timber framed construction. There are a couple of self build systems out there meant for laypeople to put together easily, eg the walter seagal method.
>>
>>1275278
>do you also collect old newspapers

No but I collect all kinds of useless shit in case I'll need them one day. I also don't plan to be in any kind of neighborhood - I'll probably buy a small piece of land near the fields from some farmer.

If anyone can recommend some books/youtube channels/magazines on building that would be welcome.
>>
>>1275281
only works in certain climates.

>>1275456
climate determines roof.

if you live someplace warm and arid, a flat roof is fine. just got to seal it up with tar or some sort of rubbery shit. then make sure it drains well. the more it rains and colder it is, the steeper your roof has to be.
>>
>>1274876
You might wanna opt for a stone hut if you go to the extent of building such a structure simply for elderly accessibility.
>>
>>1275607
But that would defeat the entire point of living in a tower.

I have at least 50 years before stairs would become a problem for me.
>>
>>1274851
You might like having one bathroom because you're a scat fetishist who pees in the sink, loves the smell of feces, gets off on vomit and diarrhea flying wherever, and fantasizes about something breaking and leaving the entire building without a toilet until Monday, but for normal people those are good reasons to have a second bathroom.

>>1274705
Why do you have such a phobia of human-sized ceilings that you'd complicate construction and put the second story's floors at different levels?

>>1274776
Shit's obnoxious and annoying, especially when something burns or it's very spicy. It makes cleaning a nightmare in the rest of the open space, too. And nobody wants to listen to all the banging, clanging, chopping, and dish washing.

>>1274852
Why do you want an open space if you're going to drive everyone to hide in bedrooms all the time to get away from the open space?
>>
>>1275896
>nobody wants to listen to all the banging, clanging, chopping, and dish washing.

If they're sitting on their asses while one person slaves away prepping and cleaning then they deserve the annoyance.
>>
>>1275901
Then you shouldn't have any complaints when I tell you to fuck off and go hungry while I'm using the room.
>>
So I've built a suburban house and I'm looking to downsize and build a small country house, any anons care to offer opinions?
>>
>>1275994
What's the planned usage? It looks like a cabin for vacationing in the woods.
>>
>>1272435
jesus fuckin christ. 4 bedrooms, a family room a breakfast room a living room and............... 2 bathrooms. What in the everloving fuck is wrong with you? have you ever even lived with other people? or entertained guests? had someone drunk that needed a toilet? someone with food poisoning that needed a toilet?

easiest way to unfuck your shit is turn suite 4 into a bathroom
>>
>>1272438
I do renovations for a living. People are usually shocked when I tell them how long it takes to do shit. They think because they've watched a renovation show that gets wrapped up in an hour that it can be done quickly.
>>
>>1272440
If that's 2500 square the drawing is not to scale. If you can't even draw a basic blueprint to scale you have no business building a goddam house.
>>
>>1272491
You Fucking wot, mate?

Maybe one bathroom in the house that big. The biggest bathroom in my house is 7'x10' and it's plenty big.

Why the fuck would you dedicate so much space to multiple rooms that you spend like 10-20 minutes a day in one of them?
>>
>>1272497
>25'x15'
>Big

Fucking manlet. Do you only have 12' ceilings, too?
>>
>>1274133
That's what fans and good ranges are for. Do you seriously think a wall with a door opening makes much of a difference?
>>
>>1274854
Every area with running water should have tile floor. Bathrooms especially because of the steam.
>>
>>1274876
Electrical, plumbing and heating will be huge problems. Enjoy living in a cold, damp, dark house and shitting in an outhouse.
>>
>>1276220
The problem isn't having "only" two bathrooms for four bedrooms, it's making one of the bathrooms exclusive to one of the bedrooms. Now the other three AND guests have to share one bathroom. Just make both bathrooms available to anyone.
>>
is this a stupid floor or is it just me

i assume its just me because i don't know all the particulars yet
>>
>>1276250
There's no need to think about whether it makes a difference when a huge difference is observed in actual houses.
>>
>>1276347
That's a ceiling, anon.
>>
File: floorplan 1.png (192 KB, 734x808)
192 KB
192 KB PNG
>>1272440
My man...
>>
Here's my shack I designed and drew up. Been thinking of retiring early and moving to north dakota or somewhere comfy to build this thing and take it easy and be the laziest white man that ever lived. Might end up in a two bedroom trailor tho. I don't really care as long as i can get a place of my own to be a slob and act out my fantasy of being a lazy hoarder sack of crap with trash all over the place and a still out back lmao.
>>
File: 1507568982277.webm (2.7 MB, 480x360)
2.7 MB
2.7 MB WEBM
>>1272318
I'd like to make catacombs underneath my house with various tunnels to escape should the need arise.
>>
Wtf is the deal with all this single storey housing. I guess americans have too much land or some shit, you could have so much more house on the same plot of land if you just added some stairs and another floor.
>>
>>1276883
go slow and wing it. but seriously tho, that sounds cool. it'd probably be pretty easy to just dig out a basement, build some maze walls out of cinder block, and pour a slab over the whole thing to build on. But I wouldn't try this unless you live way out in the boonies.
>>
File: floorplan.png (65 KB, 792x900)
65 KB
65 KB PNG
>>1276879
Thank me later.
>>
File: moss.jpg (175 KB, 736x1072)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
>>
File: moss1.jpg (260 KB, 700x1052)
260 KB
260 KB JPG
>>
>>1276909
If you're living alone like most of these fags, having more house is pointless. Some of them said they'd build out in the country, too.
>>
>>1275456
many rooftop terraces are built at a slight slope to allow runoff. others bulge slightly toward the middle
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (155 KB, 940x627)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
Yeah, yeah, woo-woo floorplans and cool rock formations and 3D models aw yiss.

You know how I know you're never gonna build you own house? Wiring plans. HVAC. Plumbing. Combining the three in a way that is harmonious with your dream floorplans and structurally sound. Can you tap a utility line? Can you downcharge a transformer? Can you wire a breaker box?

Yeah, any schlomo with some experience can frame a house and put up siding/insulation/interior walls. But can you route plumbing through the walls? Can you wire fixtures?

It's an admirable goal to build you own house, but it's not 1925 anymore. Instead of making pretty, colored floorplans with all of your furniture picked out already, pick up a residential electrician's textbook, a plumbing and pipefitting guide, and enroll in HVAC technician school. Hanging drywall, framing lumber and pouring a foundation are the fun, easy parts. Come back and ask /diy/ for questions when you're crawling between two drywall sheets trying to loosen a nut on some 3/4" brass pipe because it's a backpressure pipe and it needs to be a flow-through pipe so your kitchen sink stops spitting sewage onto your IKEA carpet.

There are tons of books and youtube series made on this exact topic. Skip through the pinterest-roastie high-contrast vlogs about cutting lumber on a circular saw and get into the nitty-gritty of fixing redundancies in your breaker box. That way when your ceiling fan shorts out your gaming rig and your fridge becomes electrified and you die along with your 15TB of hentai the four attendees at your anime-themed funeral will have a modicum of respect for you, you untalented lazy mouthbreathing neckbeard fuckstick kys I hate you
>>
>>1274851
You apparently never intend to have a woman live in the house.

All those cosmetics have to go somewhere, and "away" isn't it. Every daily-use thing needs to fit on the counter or else it's a PITA.

>toothbrush
>toothpaste
>mouthwash
>foundation
>lipstick
>eye stuff
>blush
>moisturizer
>cleanser
>comb
>brush
>curlers if she uses those
Then there's all the guy stuff
>shaving cream
>razor
>aftershave
>comb
>brush
>toothbrush and toothpaste for him
>ear irrigation thing or something else weird like that
And nobody wants to try to take a crap with their knees banging into the cabinet side or the tub, either.

Make those bathrooms bigger. A lot bigger.
>>
>>1274876
Put in an elevator. Eventually you will get old. Your knees, hips, and ankles will hate you, and it could get to the point that you're trapped on the ground floor if you don't have a mechanized way to get off of it.
>>
>>1277982
A lot of those who self build hire professionals to do the electrical, plumbing and hvac. People should should definately understand the requirements these need in terms of space ect, but i think most people understand that they'll probably fuck them up in some way if they do it all themselves.
>>
>>1277982
You raise some valid points but

>Routing plumbing through walls
Drill holes and poke pipe through, wow 10/10 difficult task

>Wiring fixtures
Are you colour blind? Otherwise it's pretty much impossible to fuck this up, literally a child can match coloured wires

>Tapping utility lines and wiring breaker boxes
Jesus what the fuck where are you allowed to do this yourself? Don't get me wrong I hate regulations but your average joe should not be allowed to fuck with incoming mains and wiring breaker boxes.
>>
>>1276860
Where's the kitchen you fucking mongoloid
>>
>>1278008
My grandfather is 85 and still climbs hills like a champ. Won't an elevator be a huge hurdle to set up and maintain, or very pricey? or is it equal to setting up stairs?
>>
File: 1479085257723.jpg (362 KB, 1106x1012)
362 KB
362 KB JPG
I watched a few youtube videos showing all the stages of constructing a house, it looks complicated as fuck and requires lots of heavy tools and machinery. Yet I remember hearing tales of normal people building their own houses. What's up with that?
>>
>>1278040
It's easy, I did it, your ancestors built their houses with their hands, a hammer and a fucking handsaw.

With the resources of the internet and power tools it really isn't that hard.
>>
>>1278040
Hard, complicated jobs that require heavy machinery become much easier if you just lower your standards.
>>
>>1276914
If you hollow out the underneath of your house attempting to build a basement without bracing the outside walls they'll collapse in.
>>
>>1272461
Now THATS a shit design, lets say you have friends come over and someone has to take a shit, OH WAIT here, let me open the door and you can watch me while closing the door so you can have that mental image.
>>1272497
Now thats next level retardation.
>>1272511
come on buddy you only need 2 floor drains
and the order should be, shower, shitter, synk
>>1273371
perfection, you are living the dream
>>1274680
why cant you put the bare minimum of text?
>>1275994
Name of the software?
>>1276347
Its doable, thats for sure, althou im not quite sure how would you fix the wood planks on the steel beam without screws and shit all over the place wich btw you can totally see.
>>1276860
Somebody woke up with sand in her vagina
>>
>>1278040
There have been concepts of simple to construct housing for anyone with basic skills to build themselves out of readily available standard size materials. A pioneer of the idea was Walter Segal, look him up and he will probably lead you to further resources.
>>
File: 1494447269273.jpg (121 KB, 640x480)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
Can somebody please answer my question about elevators and stairs here >>1278037
>>
>>1274680
>no sink in the upstairs washroom

Anon what the fuck

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.