[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 61 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Meta on /qa/ only.
All meta discussion of boards is to be redirected to /qa/.

File: IMG_6669.jpg (264 KB, 689x2007)
264 KB
264 KB JPG
What life hacks can you give us to save time in life? I'm tired of doing stuff myself and I want an easy way out. What do you do in life to avoid basic bitch stuff?

>Protip: Buy a Roomba. You'll never have to sweep or vacuum again
>>
>>1275349
Live near where work or study. You shouldn't have to lose an hour every weekday getting places.
>>
>>1275358
this.

commute time is basically unpaid and unproductive work hours. which lowers your effective pay rate.
>>
>>1275349
>dishwasher.jpg

why not an all-in-one appliance that also cooks and cleans?

Q: why does a bride wear white?

A: so the dishwasher matches the refrigerator.
>>
>>1275349
Thermomix

Yes, expensive, but man, if you stick to stuff that can be done in one bowl i.e. mixed and cooked by the Thermomix its both delicious and saves loads of time.
>>
File: M544128P01WL.jpg (37 KB, 600x600)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>1275349
automatization
you can get all kinds of smart gedgets you can hock up in your hose and control them over internet from heating to fridge, you can get a robot to clean your windows and so on
pic releted smart radiator valves
>>
Stop spending half your waking life consuming digital media out of boredom, suddenly you'll have tons of time for stuff, and you won't even have to spend thousands on dishwashers (impractical in single households anyway), vacuuming robots, window cleaning robots or internet thermostats.
>>
>>1275664
But I consume digital media because it's fun. Chores are boring..
>>
>>1275664
Yeaaah... This era of smartphones and constant internet access everywhere sucks. And I'm an old-fashioned who isn't that obsessed with this thing. Just think about the poor youngsters who can't entertain themselves without internet access...

But I found out that listening to audio books while doing chores makes it nice. Then I'm concentrating on the book, not on the chores. Yay!
>>
>>1275349
A Roomba honestly is pretty fucking sweet.

>freeze raw, preprepared food in portions.

e.g. burger patties - takes roughly the same time to mix the meat and spices (and whatever else you like in there) whether it's for 6 patties or 20. Then individually cling wrap the raw patties and freeze them. Now you cannhave fresh, cheap, delicious burgers whenever, with almosy zero hassle - the past you did all the work.

Good going, past you.
>>
Honestly I'm probably saving the most time cooking several portions at a time and then either emptying them over the course of three days in the fridge or - if you want a bit more variety - eating one and freezing the rest and then reheating various single portions from the freezer. Cooking single portions is a huge waste of time, and honestly I'd have to throw away half my ingredients all the time.
>>
>>1275667
If you came to the do it yourself board not wanting to do anything yourself then I have bad news for you
>>
>>1275358
If only was that easy, I have to lose up to 2 hours a day because bus is slow as fuck. I'm considering buying a motorcycle or an e-bike, since parking a car in my city would take twice as long.
>>1275448
This, I have one, just dump the ingredients in and wait, recipes are spot on.

I also recommend installing motion activated lights in your hallways, it might seem silly, but it's really convenient and saves energy.

A roomba is also a good purchase, I spend 1 hor a week cleaning.
>>
>>1275687
It's also nicer to reinvent the food.

Leftover chicken goes in a wok (additional ingredients - noodles and ve and spices). Time to make, as chicken is already cooked - 5-7 minutes
>>
>>1275717
I like woodworking and welding. Not menial tasks.
>>
>>1275436
/thread
>>
>>1275733
This.

Well, partly - I love to cook when I have the time to do it properly, but when I do not, it's just annoying.

>>1275687
Oh, and I find storing slices/diced veg in the fridge also makes things more convenient.
>>
File: roombah.png (1.02 MB, 960x540)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB PNG
>>1275349
>>Protip: Buy a Roomba
>>
>>1275745
Stop that. This is a nice thread, let's keep it going.
>>1275720
You poor bastard. I'm pissed about my commute, and it's only a half hour each way. Problem for me is, I'm stuck in a small town with shit jobs taking care of family and have to go to the city for decent pay.
>>1275674
How old are you, anon? I hate this world of placating digital distractions, the modern panem et circenses. I hate the convenience, but I find myself addicted to it.
>helplessfrustration.bmp
>>1275448
>Thermomix
Will look into this. Thanks, internet!
>>1275349
Wash dishes immediately after using them, never get dishpan hands again.
Reorganize your dresser from individual items (sock drawer, shirt drawer, pants drawer) to outfits suited to activity and weather (work drawer, play drawer, inclement drawer); grab a bundle and hop in the shower when you get up each morning.
Take your shoes off at the door, sweep/mop less often because most dirt is tasked into, rather than generated within, the house (parents: YMMV).

Even just doing little things like that will free up noticeable bits of time, things will go a little bit more smoothly, and stress levels go down.
>>
>>1275679
Never had burger stuff last long enough to justify more then 6 patties, shit goes bad.
>>
>>1275756
Protip, don't have pets.

Fucking love the things, but 300+$ to buy a pet, then thousands over the course of its life to keep them healthy and alive... not to mention the little bullshit like vomit or shit they tend to do often.
>>
File: 20170112_154846.jpg (1.3 MB, 2560x1440)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
>>1275758
>tasked
*tracked
Fucking autocorrect.
>>
File: Roomba-dog-poop.jpg (96 KB, 800x696)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>1275756
>>
>>1275761
Good goy
>>
>>1275349
Just adopt 18 yo "children" that way you skip ahead ad don't need to waist time raising them, they don't listen anyway...
>>
>>1275760
Really? I've stored frozen beef patties in the freezer for a couple of months. Helps if the buns you use are also frozen - I always find leftover buns go mouldy before I find a use for them.
>>
I killed the dog, bought a flesh light and had a burglar alarm installed.

No feed/walking/picking up shit and hoovering, new best friend and an automatic nigger repellent.
>>
>>1275756
>>1275766
Those are just racing stripes because they go so fast
>pro tip: do a once over before they run, pickup any cables etc.
>>
>>1275349
Stay off 4chan
>>
>>1275756
It's not the robot's fault that you shat on the floor.
>>
>>1275349
To live anything resembling a modern life you have to do chores. Most people have shit habits doing them and it makes them take longer than you need them to.

>Dishwasher
Always put forks all in one spot. Then all knives in one spot, etc. When you run it you just need to grab them all and toss them in the drawer. Sort when putting them in there, not when taking them out. I've seen WAY too many people who do this wrong and just throw random utensils in and then waste time sorting.

>Laundry
Similar plan. As you fold, sort into piles that match your drawers/whatever. Nothing is dumber than people who fold into random piles, then bring the laundry to wherever they put it away and have to then sort it one by one.

>Socks
Stop fucking owning more than a few styles of sock or you waste so much time sorting them. Have one regular sock and one dress sock. Maybe one specialty sock if you need a tall work sock or something. Throw away every sock you own and buy a shitload of one type.

>Cooking
One giant, cheap crockpot meal a week. Make rice or pasta on the side. Pork shoulder, chicken thighs, beef chuck. All cheap and work with tons of different flavors to have some variety.

>Commute
If it is long, best make the most of it. Don't be in silence or garbage music. Get some audio books or relevant podcasts. It takes your mind off driving and turns wasted time into something you would do sitting on the couch anyway.

>Chores
Shop once a week or less. Only in stores that are next to each other even if you have to spend a few more bucks to shop somewhere else. Stop wasting time shopping. Lots of super markets offer delivery or pickup groceries now. Buy in bulk during good sales. Get a big chest freezer for cheap and store extra stuff from sales.
>>
>>1275436
you could hire a maid for a lot less than that
>>
>>1275926
Audiobooks are a fucking godsend.

>Tfw job with minimal customer interaction
>Just put my headphones in and listen to audiobooks all day
>>
>>1275772
What the fuck are you saying you stupid cunt?
>>
>>1275761

I paid $100 from a no kill shelter who rescues dogs on a county shelters kill list. And $200.00 for a very young dog who was at a different shelter. I pay $45 bucks a month for both pet insurance and $15 a month for both for flea tick heartworm and worm medication.

I spend 50 every two months for food, and 10 or 15 on milk bones.

I get a bark box every month for 20 bucks.

So somewhere under 1500 hundred a year including treats, medication toys and other stuff.. For both..

So, if both dogs live 12 years, about 18 thousand.

My roi isn't monetary its emotional. And to me worth it. My lab mix would die for me. He would fight 10 bears off if he could.

I wouldn't trade our lazy days, walks, laughs, and plays for a lousy 1500 a year.
>>
File: 1106171046.jpg (2.46 MB, 4160x2340)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB JPG
>>1276038

Forgot pic
>>
File: i-6MQkS52-L.jpg (93 KB, 800x451)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>1276040
>usg pro
mah nigga
>>
>>1276058

Yeah that and 3 uap ac lrs. Its niiice.
>>
Set ALL of your bills to auto-pay. You owe them anyway, and you'll never have to worry about if they're paid or not. If you want to see the amount you paid for something just check your bank account, you should be keeping an eye on this anyway.

Put dishes directly into the dish washer. You'd be surprised how much time is wasted in your life moving them from the sink to the dishwasher every single time you want to do a load.

Brush your teeth in the shower. Also get a suction cup mirror and shave in the shower.

Buy in bulk, especially for non-tangible items. Get the biggest pack of paper towels, toilet paper, etc. you can. Typically you pay less per roll this way, and you don't have to shop as often
>>
Not making thus thread, or not reading the replies.

You can never know how life turns out, so even if you get a dishwasher, you might miss out on another ultimately even bigger timesaver that you would have encountered down the road if only you chose the lifepath that involves you doing the dishes manualy.

tldr: just live
>>
Don't buy a Roomba.
This has better pathing, better app, better build quality, bigger battery and it is 1/3 the price.
>>
>>1275349
Roomba or cheap chinese knockoff which works for over a year now and only cost me 100 bucks.
Dishwasher haleluja
Buy large amounts in the supermarket. Freeze stuff.
>>
>>1278253
>Brush your teeth in the shower. Also get a suction cup mirror and shave in the shower.

the rest of your post was good. this part is asinine.
>>
>>1278290
Where did you get it for 1/3 a roomba?
>>
>>1275664
Small dishwashers are practical for single household. They have one drawer instead of two, that's perfect for a single person.
>>
>>1275349
Get a wife and have children. Make the children do everything "to build character". Hire a nanny to take care of the children.
>>
>>1275664
Disposable plates and a minimum of cups, plates and gut wrenches make life simple and easy. I have a dishwasher but don't use it often. I leave a plastic tub of strong detergent and water in my sink. When I use a plate utensil it goes there. Washing is a quick rinse later on. I break up a dishwasher detergent pack into my dish detergent bottle and use that instead of paying stupid money for the same thing in water.

Learn to microwave effectively. Pyrex is my friend. Potatos are cheap and perfect for nuking. Stews, soups etc ditto. Foods you don't have to cook like fruit can be healthy and time-saving.

I shave in the shower without a mirror (you presumably know your own face) then take a few seconds to touch up after. Hot water is invigorating and softens beard.

I don't do coffee unless I need the sugar boost. Bulk caffeine pills get the job done. I don't smoke but use nicotine to take the edge off the absurd amounts of caffeine I need to function due severe sleep deprivation due to pain from neck damage. Nicotine lozenges are cheap, convenient and zero waste.

Barber trips waste time and money. I've used an Andis commercial pet clipper with #50 blades for many years. I shave my head for comfort and convenience. I follow up with an electric razor while surfing da web.

I buy bulk and use a chest freezer. It save trips and gets you deals. Mine is full of ribeyes my bro brings back from Minnesota. It's surprisingly cheap to eat steak every day if you source wisely.

I grill on the porch to avoid kitchen mess. That saves a shitload of work and avoids heating the house.
>>
>>1275674
Where to get audio books for free?
>>
File: E2_2620432a.jpg (429 KB, 1300x1542)
429 KB
429 KB JPG
>>1275349
>save time in life?
>>1278851
>Get a wife and have children
>>
>>1278872

RIP Lem

>perfect pic for a wife and children suggestion
>>
>>1275772
Stupid goyposter
>>
>>1275448
Geez that looks terrible. "We reinvented simplicity" then go down the list to talk about all the parts and buttons and gizmos where if any one of them breaks the whole thing is useless. It is a blender and a crockpot. Definitely get a crockpot. Lowest investment of time for cheap healthy meals that is possible.
>>
>>1275664
How about you stop being fucking boring?
>>
Have a wastebasket in every room.
>>
>>1279362
Leave no waste.
>>
>>1279362
Have a toilet in every room.
Or even better, stick a tube into your dick, tape a piss bag to your thigh and save the time it takes to walk to the toilet, take a piss and walk back. You will save weeks of time over the course of your life if you stick to it.
>>
>>1278869
Re request
>>
>>1279498
From torrents, I would assume.
>>
Write your grocery shopping list in order of where stuff is located in the store. That way you're not running all over the store when you get there.

If there's anything you do daily that's annoying, find a solution. For example every night when I showered a little water would drip out of the tub onto the floor. I bought curved splash guards that directs the water back in the tub, and now I never have to clean up water on the floor again. I installed a detachable shower head on a hose to easily clean soap and shampoo off the shower walls.

>pro tip: buy a curved shower curtain rod, that shit is god tier. If you ever wanna buy something for less than $40 that will improve your life dramatically (because you shower every day) that's a thing to buy
>>
>>1279885
>because you shower every day

This is still 4chan, anon.
>>
>>1278853
>I grill on the porch to avoid kitchen mess
Who the fuck doesn't?
>>
>dishwasher
>Vaccum cleaner
>Roomba
Plebs and their fancy gimmicks , we just call it a "woman".
Anyways, here faggots, life hacks
>Don't get a dog
>You don't need forks
>3 kitchen knives including one to peel shit
>Liquid soap to wash dishes is shit, use a dishwash bar if you can
>don't overdo with tea cups and china
>Rather than buying faggy plates and china/plastic plates , get silverware/steel cutlery, lasts longer, stays cleaner and looks better
>Rice is the thinking man's food, cheap, dense in calories and good for bulking, tasty and with multiple ways to cook it to get different tastes
>Learn to cook, buy vegetables from farm sales and stock on potatoes and beans
>Brown people know their ingredients, and might sell shit cheaper
>Eating instant ramen all day everyday if you can't help it isn't bad for your body
>Yoga and other assorted bastardised shit doesn't work, join a fucking gym to learn self control and nutrition
>muslims and niggers are usually trouble
>beware of the vaginal Jew's trickery,love ain't real, the sweet romantic things you're doing with your gf, some other man has probably done those with her too, if she can stop loving him for you, she WILL stop loving you for someone else
>>
>>1280085
1) Nobody said "cheap" in this thread - no one care about your NEET MGTOW bullshit "eat bulk rice to beat grocery semites" bullshit

2) fuck off back to /pol/
>>
>>1280106
Fags and their muh pol bogeyman. Sucks to be you , I'd kill myself if I had skin as thin as yours. Achieving similar results cheaper is a life hack in my book. Must be different for your kind. Yet to prove anything I said wrong.
>>
>>1279894
I grill in my backyard
>>
>>1280122
The question was "save time ", what you offer is "make life cheaper and spend more time on things to spite the kikes".
>>
>>1279498
>hurr google is hard

Audiobookbay is pretty solid, anything you can't find on there you can find on myanonamouse, you just have to do an ez web interview where you tell them what they want to hear.
>>
>>1278253

>Brush your teeth in the shower. Also get a suction cup mirror and shave in the shower.

massive waste of water, take a 2-3 minute shower and brush teeth/shave regularly

>>1275926

>It takes your mind off driving
>not thinking about driving because you're listening to some podcast fags talk about worthless bullshit you'll forget about the moment you step out of your car
>rear-end a semi and die because you weren't paying attention
>>
>>1280265
>2-3 minute shower

How
>>
>>1280265
>Crashing your car because you can't listen and think about other things while you drive

Do you even have a drivers license? Have you ever driven a car?
>>
>>1280290

>I'm le smart multitasking man! I'll be condescending that'll show that meanie!

yes, moron, if you pay more attention to whatever you're listening to/fiddling with your phone to put on whatever faggot shit you feel like having vomited into your piddly brain, you're more liable to crash. instead of retardedly trying to be "productive" when driving, why don't you focus on not killing anyone and driving defensively. dumbasses like you who think they can "think about other things" while driving are the reason so many people die in car accidents daily. treat driving like what it is: a dangerous convenience that can turn very deadly much faster than you can react.

>le I'm smart so I don't have to focus on driving

neck yourself before you take out a bus full of children while listening to joe rogan, fucking cockmunch.

>>1280265

>How

-1 minute getting wet/lathering
-1 minute rinsing off
-1 minute shampoo

it can be cut down more, or you can take longer depending on your routine. but standing in the shower with your water running while your brush your teeth is way more wasteful than just taking 2 minutes after your shower to brush and floss properly.
>>
>>1280297
You can focus on the road like a robot and drive as defensively as you want, but when Tyrone runs a red or some boomer sideswipes you, you are just as dead as me.

I'm not going to be running over toddlers or crossing the centreline because some audio is playing. Get a grip and stop dramatising. If you have any basic driving competance then the other person is going to kill you and there is nothing you can do about it.
>>
>>1280268
Bald manlet
>>
Instapot. Cook frozen chicken in about 20 minutes, smear on a tablespoon of salt, pepper, and rosemary first. Cheap, fast, and tasty. Add some brown rice and baby carrots(fuck peeling) for a full meal.
>>
>>1275366
I enjoy my commute. Catch up on the news or listen to a book. Spend some time alone surrounded by the woods (and other cars). Maybe smoke a joint on the way home so I'm ready to clean the house in a good mood.
>>
>>1278869
audiobookbay.nl/

A godsend. I couldn't work my soul crush factory job without all the theft this site has allowed me to do.
>>
File: neato-botvac-d80.jpg (44 KB, 717x375)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>1275349
>Roomba
Neato Botvac D80 is superior in every way
>>
>>1280305

eat shit
>>
>>1280350
Oh no my roomba doesnt clean that 1 inch square in the corner. I just do it when I clean the skirtings.

I wish these robot cleaners had a docking station that functions as a large bin, it would be nice not to empty it every day or two.
>>
>>1280125
Save money by not having a backyard
>>
>>1280377
Save money by living in a tent.
>>
>>1280381
Save money by not living.
>>
Take your clothes straight from the washer and hang wet on hangers in your closet. This demands a rather large closet with open air and quite a lot of hangers, but its worth both building one and buying hangers, as it both saves time and wears a lot less on your clothes than tumbledrying.

I have been doing this for about five years, figured it out in my student room, and when i moved into a house about the first thing i did was to put up two steel pipes above eachother for this reason.

Plus none of your clothes gets forgotten about in the bottom of a drawer.
>>
>>1275349
Buy a Neato, WAY better than a roomba
>>
>>1275756
>having a dog that ever shits on the floor
Walk your pet you lazy nigger
>>
>>1280386
Truly the final solution.
>>
>>1275448
its fucking 1400$
and makes bland food because you get no mailard reaction

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.