[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 35 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Meta on /qa/ only.
All meta discussion of boards is to be redirected to /qa/.

shovels are technology.
fiberglass >
>>
File: spade.jpg (603 KB, 1800x1094)
603 KB
603 KB JPG
Is this the thinkpad of shovels?
>>
File: 13b.jpg (59 KB, 680x588)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>1275859
Fiberglass shovels are much heavier than wood ones. Do you even manual labor?
>>
>>1275861
>drops wood shovel from 100 ft up
>it snaps in half

>flame touches wood shovel
>it burns

do you even durability
>>
>>
>>1275862
>drops wood shovel from 100 ft up
Stop shovelling the sky. Moran.
>flame touches wood shovel
Life isn't a video game anon.
>>
>>1275863
>implying you need that many lights to shovel something
function > form
>>
As someone that actually does manual labor for a living, hickory is better than any other handle material for almost any tool and if you disagree, you've literally never done more than a few days of light yard work for your parents.
>>
>>1275866
Speaks the truth. Fiberglass shovels always split and break way easier. Although I personally prefer ash. The flexibility is nice sometimes if you know how much pressure/torgue it takes before it snaps.
>>
>>1275867
>torgue
meant torque, autocorrect is ridiculous sometimes
>>
>>1275867
Okay, yeah, I'll give you that... Ash is probably better for a shovel than hickory. I work in tree removal, log splitting and stump grinding, so most of my work is with axes and I don't dick with shovels very often since I'm a supervisor now, but ash makes WAY more sense than hickory for a shovel now that I think about it because it'll flex more when you're using it for leverage. That's a very good point.
>>
File: 295473975936.jpg (57 KB, 665x896)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
what are you, poor?
>>
>>1275870
>falling for the carbon fiber meme
>>
>>1275865
Workplace safety, OSHA is always bullying people into wearing helmets and putting "guard" rails.
>>
>>1275870
How does that shit even work? Won't it violently detonate if you hit a pebble in the dirt?
>>
>>1275862
Do you know how much a pain in the ass it is to repair fiberglass handles compared to wood?
>>
I really can't decide what's worse, pulling wood splinters out of my palms or pulling toxic fiberglass splinters out of my palms
>>
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 454x341)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>1275860
Yes, it’s truly the Dark Souls of tools.

Btw, I can’t unhear that fucking song whenever someone posts a picture of that shovel.
>>
File: 1509264611276.jpg (56 KB, 866x959)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>1275873
Why would it do that?
>>
>>1275859
Get that shovelware outta here
>>
>>1275866
>>1275867
These guys know what's up. I would let them work in any dirt I own.
>>
I broke a wooden spade a few months ago when reefing on its handle to lever some massive root balls out of the ground. It was damn old so the wood probably wasn't in the best of conditions, but what wood should I replace the handle with? Within reason of course.
>>
>>1275933
Rich mahogany.
>>
>>1275861
I bet you don't even sharpen your shovel heads, kid.
>>
>>1275933
American Hornbeam is the only proper wood to use, in the USA, for tool handles and wagon axles.
>>
Wood for quick work and metal for deep digging/cutting
>t. landscape business owner
>>
>>1275961
>in the USA
Learn your place, americocentrist capitalist pig.
>>
>>1275959
>Sharpen that spade with a file
>Sharpen it good, even break out a stone today, hit that edge a couple of passes
>Stop short of stropping it, it IS dirt after all, not a bench plane in oak
>Pick your tree, plan the ball, find the perfect starting point, the first lick
>The spade bites, earth gives SO easily, it drives on, splitting deeper, no effort
>With a sickening "chank" you hit a fucking rock at the end of the first stroke
Every. Fucking. Time.
>>
>>1275967
yew is an option
>>
>>1275859
This is the best shovel money can buy, that or a fiskars longhanded steel shovel.

>>1275866
>>1275867

Are not landscapers and have never dug in clay/rocky soil. I live in CT though where the state crop is rocks and clay. Also if you live in an area with large temperature changes and humidity then all your shovel heads and wood handles go to shit.
Especially when digging up and getting rid of plants and stubborn rocks, I want my shovel to be a lever so I can actually use my body weight instead of having to waste time digging around said objects. I have broken countless wooden shovels doing what this anon >>1275933 did, and most of the time it's where the shovel head meets the wood. Moisture ALWAYS gets in there and fucks up the wood no matter how good of a shovel it is.

>>1275963
But yes for things like mulch and sandy/loamy solid then yeah you can use the shittiest pine shovel if you want.

>>1275959
The sacred secret of the digging stick.
>>
>>1275873
it's a snow shovel for people backpacking on mountains
>>
>>1275980
no yew
>>
>>1276021
>digging
That's what a spade is for. A shovel is just for moving loose stuff, not getting it out of the ground.
>>
>>1275976

I know those feels anon, that and fucking chainsaw chains, mower blades ...

>sobs internally for edges lost forever
>>
>>1275859
Fiberglass slivers are a bitch. I'd rather be replacing handles every couple of years than deal with a shitty fiberglass handle that gives you slivers right through a pair of leather gloves.

t. Used to dig ditches for a living
>>
File: shopping[1].jpg (8 KB, 450x450)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>1276067
spade/shovel they'll both do the same shit. Thinner thicker "spades" are for drain lines and post holes, everything else a shovel could do better. When the digging gets as bad as you're talking about, that's when you use pic related.
>>
>>1276315
>pick related
Typically a shovel has a longer thinner shaft for more leverage to easily manoeuvre a payload of soil, but a spade has a thicker shaft with a handle on the end for really jamming in there and cutting through compacted earth; they're stronger and made for reefing on. My flimsy fibreglass shovel works fine for what it's made for, but no way would I ever put 50lb of force on it, it flexes a bunch. But my old spade was taking 100lb+ before it turned out the wood was in a less-than ideal state.

If you're buying a tool for digging, you don't buy a shovel, you buy a spade. In fact, a spade is frequently more useful than a shovel ever is, so even if I have to move earth I'd still just get a spade and only get a shovel if I planned on moving gravel or cement or something else that I didn't have to dig in the first place.
>>
>>1276324
underrated
>>
File: GrubHoePlus.jpg (37 KB, 320x182)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>1275859
>>1276315
>all these scrubs
>the best anyone can think of is a pick mattock

Grub hoe comin through, peasants, swerve.

>that speed
>that force
>that chopping power
>that weighted head
>that body dynamics--not having to crouch down with a pick/mattock
>stand at you full height and swing that botch down, cutting through everything, flip up a bot to break the chunk off. Get your boy to shovel it out.
>>
>>1275860
>>1275876
>Over Priced
>No D-Handle
>>
>>1276395
>smacks rocks
>SO YOU BE SAYIN'

Hoes are for gardening, once you hit clay or rocks you are royally fucked with a tool lie that. That is why miners (deep diggers) used pickaxes instead of hoes to dig for ore.

>that speed
>that force
>that chopping power
>that weighted head

All of which are far greater on a pickaxe or "mattock" because the tool weighs more and does more of the work. It's not long because then it would be harder to lift , it's not meant to be swung fast.

>that body dynamics--not having to crouch down with a pick/mattock.

I would rather let a heavier, sturdier tool do the work for me then get blisters smacking the ground with a blade that's going to get fucked when I start hitting rock. Come to Connecticut and try using one of those things, you won't get far.

>>1276324
>I don't normally shovel with potatoes, I shovel with potados.
>>
>>1276395
Great tool, I've put miles on one using it for grubbing. For digging? Uh, no. That would be like using a sledgehammer for tamping a dirt foundation.

>>1278191
Confirmed for never have used a real grubbing hoe. The tool Anon posted is not the slight thing that people use for general gardening, Connecticut or not. It's not for digging either, but you underestimate it's power and sturdiness.
>>
File: 4605828103_cf020b4a38.jpg (118 KB, 500x333)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
>>1275859

My dad is a stonemason and goes through countless tools. The man is a beast and therefore needs tools to match. A great number of his tools he's ended up fashioning himself. Two of the best he's made are his shovel and his modified wheelbarrow. Both have the flimsy structures removed and replaced with thicker steel pipe. The barrow has extended and looped handles at a low vantage point to get better leverage. Yes they're heavy and uncomfortable but when you have the hands and body to match it's not an issue. The fiberglass tools he's owned did not last long, and practically can't be repaired.
>>
>>1278201
Hoe op, i will actually admit I never used a grub hoe. I fantasized about buying one but I was getting out of that job in six months so I never bothered. We were digging trenches for conduit, 2' deep and 4-6" wide. A grub hoe seemed perfect, even better than a trenching shovel, which would struggle to break a chunk off in many soils.

I am also 6'6" so bending over to use a pickaxe is a nightmare. I would use a dig bar to get a rock out of the way, and a spade to chop tough dirt. Almost never used a pick because it just sucked so much.
>>
The only reason you need a fiberglass anything is if you're a lineman. Other than that I don't see a benefit over other materials.
>>
>>1275860
Why does this, and other multitools, have a fucking bottle opener? You can easily open a bottle with just a shovel, no need for a dedicated opener
>>
Metal handles are superior to fibreglass or wood
>>
>>1278271
>1278271
>memetool
that shit looks flimsier than my granddads spade from the Wehrmacht

the fact with wood handles is,they are mass produced and there are no two handles exactly the same.
A shovel handle with ground down growth rings at the top will break way faster than one where its just ground down to a ring but without breaking it, kinda the same how a bow is constructed. Thats up for you to figure out when buying a new one
>>
>>1278298
I legit wanted the one wranglerstar did, but almost soley for the flashlight and 18650 cell. I really liked how they handled the phone/18650 charger
>>
>>1275865
Where's your Christmas spirit
>>
>>1275874
>Repair fiberglass handles
Do you live on Mars???
>>
>>1275862
...how often are you tossing wooden shovels off an 8 story building or torching on it.

Wtf is wrong with u

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.