[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 9 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Meta on /qa/ only.
All meta discussion of boards is to be redirected to /qa/.

File: cardanic gyro.jpg (1.5 MB, 3072x2304)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB JPG
Hey all,

currently we're planning on building a cardanic gyro (for a bigger project), which should be equipped with two or at least one inductor per ring. Three rings, and a "gyroscope" in the middle would be perfect.

A friend of mine could mill it for us, but we have to think about a way to realize it.
The gyro should have space inside to fit an Arduino Nano, together with a Gyroscope (to check the magnetic field), and a Bluetooth-transmitter to send the data in form of OSC to a receiver (which already works, so that isn't the problem). Our IT- and mechanic guy said, that we could transfer the voltage for the Arduino through the whole piece to power it, which works, but I'm not quite sure about the inductors, and would like a second opinion.

So, the huge problem we're facing right now is, how we construct this piece, so we can fight the following problems:

- (how) Can we power the inductors separately, so we can turn them individually on and off? And if we're speaking cables, how can we put them there, that they won't twist when one is spinning the different rings?
- Building this monster, so we can open and close the middle containing the Arduino without a problem?
- A model in a small version, with no features could help us alot, but I can't find any how-to or low-budget-piece to work with, so any help in this direction is appreciated!

Any kind of ideas in the general direction is appreciated, right now our group is stuck. Thanks alot for your time!
>>
>>1276409
You mean something along the lines of the MPU9250 9-axis accelerometer+gyroscope+magnetometer, right? They're pretty neat looking. You'll also want movable balance weights to adjust the centre of rotation once the arduino and electronics are in place, so you don't have to drill out parts of the frame.

I have no idea what a Cardanic Gyro is and what the inductors are supposed to do, is it for inertial gyroscopic sensing?
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EHKfoWh8t6o&t=44

What I imagine OP is talking about
>>
>>1276718
Probably wasn't the best translation, but what I mean is pictured in my upload. We have a magnetometer already, and it delivers one value per axis, and sends it through the bluetooth-transmitter to a MaxMSP-Patch, which processes it into three different sinus-waveforms. If you disturb the magnetic field, sounds happen.
The inductors are there to manipulate the magnetic field, and should be able to be separately turned on and off, so you have different manipulation methods.

>>1276720
>youtube.com/watch?v=EHKfoWh8t6o&t=44
Sadly I can't see the video.

Are there any open questions? It seems like I had trouble finding the right words.
The gyro is there to manipulate sounds through a magnetic field.
>>
>>1277618
>The gyro is there to manipulate sounds through a magnetic field.

why? explain this part. gyroscopes are cool. audio is cool. magnetism is cool.

gyro -> magnetism -> audio wut and why?
>>
>>1277657
Because we'd to build it as a semester project for our course of study.
Just some experimental stuff, haha.
>>
>>1277666
Sounds cool enough. You'll probably have to make it out of metal since it has more of a constant density of 3D printed parts and more tensile strength than wood. It would be an interesting project to make out of home-cast aluminium, but under the assumption you don't have access to that, it might be worth looking into machining it out of solid plastic. Even home-made HDPE sheets could work if they're homogenous enough. All it would take is a few hole-saw bits and a drill to use them with, along with some precision and creativity. By creativity I mean drilling the holes first with some sort of jig, mounting the roughed-out piece of material between centres, and spinning it up with a drill as you sand down the perimeter.

It should be fairly easy to use brass inserts for the bushings, but UHMW or Delrin or Teflon might also work.
>>
You can't connect with cables, you use slip rings. And you need quaternion mathematics to avoid gimbal lock.

Rots o ruck 2 u. Lol.
>>
>>1277849
Thanks for the input, though a friend already offered to make it out of metal for us. But we have to work out a prototype, so your info is highly appreciated! Going to communicate it with the group today.

>>1277864
Yes, we knew that, but not all of us had slip rings on our minds. Thanks again, I'll keep y'all updated!
>>
>>1278096
Slip rings are goi g to be a pain in the ass.if you've got an Arduino and whatever sensor shit in there anyway, why not just add wifi and relays?
>>
>>1278170
The middle isn't the problem, as already told, we use a bluetooth-transmitter for the gyro. But we want to power the different conductors, so we need a kind of power-supply for those.

If you have any other idea to control magnets (or some kind of magnetic-field-manipulation) separately on each ring, I'm wide open for ideas of any kind!
>>
>>1278236
So you want motors spinning each ring individually? I thought you were talking about sensors on the central board.
>>
File: spule conductor.jpg (227 KB, 800x533)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
>>1278264
No. Okay, let me explain it again:

The sensor is in the middle of the whole gyro. The sensor measures the magnetic field around it, and sends out three different OSC values.

We now want two conductors on each ring. The conductors job is to manipulate the magnetic field around the sensor, so we can create different sinusses. The goal is to switch every conductor on and off separately.

Here is a picture what is in my understanding a conductor. Sorry if I'm mistaken, but english isn't my first language.
>>
>>1278281
The correct term is inductor not conductor, and sinusoid/sine curve not sinus.

I'm not sure if this is what you're planning on doing, but having the coils of wire themselves around/inside each ring of the gyro is probably the way to go.

How are you planning on spinning up the gyro? The different speeds of each rotor will change the signal quite drastically, especially if their angular frequencies coincide.
>>
>>1278281
So you're trying to build a brushless motor?
>>
>>1278417
Thanks alot for clarifying that.
We don't want the gyro to spin on itself, he should only spin when we push it manually.

>>1278427
That's not the goal, no.
>>
>>1278585
Oh, so it's not going to be spun up to a few hundred RPM but rather moved with your hands? So I assume you'll be putting audio signals into the input solenoids/coils/inductors and then moving the thing around to get different effects? Could sound pretty cool. If you're able to spin each segment with a synchronous motor then you could do some really interesting computer-controlled audio effects, but that would be a difficult task.
>>
>>1278609

or he could just build a theremin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theremin
>>
>>1278617
Oh yeah, those exist. But with this you can spin each input solenoid at a different speed and get overlapping effects. If you put each x-y-z speaker around the listener in corresponding locations, that could also sound damn neat.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.