[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 29 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Meta on /qa/ only.
All meta discussion of boards is to be redirected to /qa/.

File: makita-DGA504RMJ.jpg (211 KB, 1000x1000)
211 KB
211 KB JPG
I want to get a couple decent cordless tools and I want to know if there are any major redflags going for any particular brand. The most important tool would be a brushless angle grinder, beyond that I want a midrange drill and maybe some saws later on.
Initially I was looking at Ryobi, because while not a great brand, you can get a charger+battery+brushless drill+brushless angle grinder for $150 at Harbor Freight (and then import it to Europe with reasonable total cost). The downsides are that locally Ryobi costs about as much as Dewalt or Makita, so any further tool purchases would not be worth it anywhere near as much, and that if I ever had to RMA I'd be fucked.
Then I considered Makita since it's locally the cheapest decent brand. The only major downside I know of is that Makita batteries (and tools) aren't very diy-repair friendly.
>>
>>1278175
>The most important tool would be a brushless angle grinder

Enjoy charging between every cut. Some things are fine cordless, but a cordless angle grinder might as well be corded, considering how much time you spend at the charging dock.
>>
>>1278185
Yeah, unless you're stealing bikes you're better off with corded for grinders

Anyway, don't buy Black & Decker or any of the harbor freight brands and you'll probably be fine
>>
>>1278185
Brushless ones last about 15 minutes of active use on a single 4ah battery, which is about what I need out of them. When I grind I usually only actively use the grinder at most ~40% of the time, rest is repositioning, and with that it's enough time to charge another battery. And of course I have corded grinders for more intensive use, I just want a cordless one for the convenience.
>>
>>1278192
I'd be very surprised if you get that sort of performance out of a quality brand's angle grinder, but here you are looking at Harbor Freight and Ryobi to fill this role.

My advice is don't do it, no matter what brand, but if you're intent on buying something that will routinely destroy batteries and never live up to your expectations, might as well get dissapoint by the cheapest thing you can find.
Cheap or expensive, it'll fry batteries often and you'll probably just stop using it before the motors give out. No point splurging here.
The red flags you asked about in the OP? The red flag is that you're prioritizing based on a tool that doesn't make sense in the configuration you want.
>>
For cordless grinders, I've heard good things about the 60v Dewalt

Of course it had better be good because it's like 300 dollars

Or you can buy a 50 dollar corded one and a 10 dollar extension cord and spend the other 240 on whiskey
>>
>>1278204
this

also the makita OP posted does indeed last for some reasonable time with one charge, but its not cheap either.

personnally I'd still go for corded one if i dont need to go full 'innawoods' with it
>>
>>1278204
>>1278216
The one in the OP is about 120 bare, batteries and charger of course about double it. For amerifats HF has some pretty good deals on these, but alas.
>>
>>1278199
Could you please explain what would destroy the batteries? Rapid discharge?

As I have an 18V set, would be good to know which tools to steer clear of, and why.
>>
File: Worst. Dad. Ever..jpg (16 KB, 602x280)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>be op
>buy said tools
>have a kid
>pass tool down to kid
>batteries aren't made any more
>kid hand spins grinder wheel and touches it to metal
>repeat for 3 days
>hands sore
>1/64 of metal gone
>thanks dad
>>
>>1278228
I don't think most consumer-grade electric tools are made to the level of quality where they would become generational, batteries or no batteries
>>
>>1278228
I will put any son who can't adapt a DC motor on a stick to a different power source up for adoption. It's ridiculously easy.
>>
>>1278228
positive to positive, negative to negative.
>>
>>1278228
Pretty stupid point, does anyone use parents generation power tools? The reason batteries won't exist is because they will have been replaced with something better and your battery tool will be good as a museum piece for kids to laugh at.
When you buy a tool you have to consider realistically what it's worth by how long it will last, custom machined parts will wear out long before batteries are impossible to get a hold of if you know how to replace the cells
>>
>>1278255
This

My grandpa's ancient old drill works great... but I only have it because he swapped it out for something that has a clutch, reverse, and doesn't weigh 10 fucking pounds. I'd crawl through a dump trying to find the last extant 20v dewalt battery before using that thing.
>>
>>1278175
>The only major downside I know of is that Makita batteries (and tools) aren't very diy-repair friendly.
Its called 'warranty', most of them sold here have a 3yr warranty on the batteries, chargers and other shit
>>
>>1278175
If you want the cordless grinder, dewalt is the only way to go. Then you can use the 60v battery in your 20v tools. Don't bother with the 20v grinder though, the thing is worthless.
>>
Buy a file.
>>
I bought pic related at work a couple months ago. It works really good and I have no complaints about it's performance, but holy hell it does chew up batteries. I'm not bothered too bad by it since I have 8 batteries and the 6 port charger rigged up to my truck. If you only had a couple batteries it would be a huge pain in the ass. As neat as it is and I do use the shit out of it I wouldn't buy one for my own use. The limited times I use a grinder at home it's no big deal to throw out a 20ft cord.
>>
File: IMG_20170126_221716.jpg (88 KB, 720x1280)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>1278499
Are you using the 5.0 or 9.0 batteries?
I'd imagine it eats them about as fast as my m18 circ saw does.

A lot of the places I need tools don't have decent 120v service, so I'm moving mostly to m18 stuff. Angle grinder's next on my list.
Pic kinda related.
>>
>>1278499
i have this. it's a beast. whatever you do, hold it with both hands. my thumbnail is almost completely grown back out now.
>>
Make your choice depending on what tools you must have - it's no good investing in a battery platform if they don't have the (whatever tool) that you really need or desire.

All the back to back comparison videos I've seen on YouTube (look up A Concord Carpenter) show little difference between all the major brands in performance, so since you are not using it to earn a living, you can make your decision more on price and variety. I'm a happy Ryobi owner. While I may not have the most powerful hammer drill on the market, after buying a Ryobi drill and impact driver, I had money to spare to buy the Ryobi SDS Rotary Hammer which absolutely shits on even the best standard hammer drills for masonry drilling or chiselling tasks; if I'd got Milwaukee or DeWalt or whatever, I would not have had that spare money. That said, Makita now make a two battery track saw that uses the same track as their corded saw, which I already have, so I might be getting into Makita cordless in the future.
>>
I have a ryobi cordless grinder and for a quick cut and flash in a remote area I am glad I bought it. I would pair it with another corded grinder for reasons already stated.

Going from a Milwaukee down to a ryobi then you can afford both.

My main gripes with the ryobi is that there was some spindle wobble and the guys managed to roast the switch after a solid month of using it as a primary rebar cutter which they really should have just brought power to and used the chop saw
>>
File: you_rascal.jpg (27 KB, 526x482)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>this thread reminded me to register my drill at Bosch's website for a 3 year warranty right before ending of the 4 weeks deadline
thanks /diy/
>>
>>1278223
Overheating due to the rapid discharge.
>>
>>1278175
I fucked up and blew a shit ton of money on nickle battery craftsman cordless shit because
>muh sears credit card...
And they offered a lithium pack charger and battery upgrade. Interchangeable. Never got around to buying expensive ass lithium. Learned to make packs.

Blessing in disguise. I got a matching cordless light, skill saw, 1/4 impact driver, drill, 2 junk batteries for $10 at a yard sale. Gonna gut my shitty nicd batts and charger. Make all lithium setup. Wonder how many junk nicd batts i can find next year at yardsales or maybe ebay.

Pic related. Shit battery.
>>
>>1278228
>dad teaches the wows of pack building. And casting plastic.
>dad hands tools down
>i hand tools down
>50 packs because like $8 to make one.
>thanks grandpa
>>
>>1278671
Ah, that makes sense. Cheers, mate.
>>
>>1278255
Find 1/2 all metal cased drill ina pile of sgit headed for the burn pit. Ask anon if i can have. Chuckles and tosses to me. Head home, find burn marks inside from frayed wire rub case. Coble test wires to motor and plug into surge protector. Flip it on. Hell yes. Just finishing up and buddy comes over.

>he anon what's up
>nothing, just rewireing my sweet free drill
>"my uncle did that."
>hell yes, great idea aint it
>w-well, not really because it killed him
>mfw
>>
>>1278389
Turn it into a little diy lathe?
>>
>>1278409
Fuckem. Break that shit in half and throw some Panasonic cells in
>>
>>1278499
Would this be unwieldy if you had 3-4 times as large of a battery hanging off that thing?

I am considering making extended life lithium packs for grinders
>>
>>1278255
>Used to have great grandfather's hand crank wood working tools
>Shit was amazing for delicate and precise work
>Faggot uncle who can't manage money pawned them
Fuck you, technology is great, but there is always some trade off.
>>
>>1278568
You crazy anon. F
>>
>>1278719
Mfw my wifes late grandfather has like 30 hand crank grinder wheels.

Sharpen mower blades and random knives and shit in a feild.
>>
How hard would it be to diy build your own tools?

Anybody build their own custom chainsaw?
>>
>>1278724
I've DIYed dremels, and to a more limited extent drills. You can do belt sanders and grinding wheels easily. Anything more complicated than that and you're not going to do much better than even the worst chinese tool. Instead, find something close to what you want and just modify it to your needs.
>>
>>1278175
Sees title "cordless shit"

Yup, cordless IS shit.
>>
>>1278230

my mom's shitty $20 OSH drill is, because it's corded. If you only use it once or twice a month it'll easily last a century.
>>
>>1278233
Hahaha fucking that made me laugh because my dad is inept but I know my way around most tool by just getting a feel for them, some shot just doesn't get passed on.

Yeah the only stuff good cordless are drills, impact drivers, flashlights, and radios. Everything else should be on a cord or even hand powered

I use a crank drill for all smaller project in dry wall so much easy than pulling out the power drill especially if it's in soft stuff

I would go with corded saws and grinders
>>
>>1278714
>w-well, not really because it killed him

how did it kill him?
>>
>>1279042
I just bought a cordless circular saw from makita. It was only $100 and I already have some 3 amp batteries. I hope it will last long enough for what I need it for. I was considering a jig saw and oscillating multi tool that works with their batteries too. The cords on circular saws and jig saws get really annoying so I hope the cordless will last long enough.
>>
>>1279052
Tool probably was designed without a ground, and the guy shorted it to the frame during repair.
There's a reason power tools don't have metal frames these days.
>>
>>1279054
3 amps? are you cutting through cardboard?
>>
>>1279054
Put the cord over your shoulder, or if you want to sperg out you can make an over head cable reel so it stays out of your way while cutting.
>>
>>1279063
I have 4 batteries and I don't need a circular saw much. They charge quick enough that with 4 of them I can keep it going quite a while if I need to, especially if I buy another charger. It's not like it's not a workable setup, you just need to spend a bit more for the luxury of the portability which I am willing to do.
>>
File: 1499280825471.jpg (32 KB, 703x675)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>1278187
>I bought everything at HF when I started my welding class
>most of it broke or had to be replaced
>>
>>1278568
I have 2 5.0s, 3 4.0's, and the other 3 are 3.0's. The 3.0s go really quick, 4.0s are pretty decent, and the 5.0 is pretty acceptable for the type of work I consider a cordless angle grinder doing. I do want to get a 9.0 to try out.

I welded on 2 1" 7/8 caps for handrails today and I was burring off the weld bead to smooth out the handrail with a sand paper flapper disc and just grinding those 2 beads down completely drained a full 3.0
>>
Don't know why I didn't tag all these on with my previous post but oh well
>>1278569
I don't think it's that crazy. I've used it one handed quite a bit with no worry about it. It's about the same as the average 7.5 amp grinder
>>1278718
3-4 times? Yeah probably. They do make a 9.0 battery which I think would be money well spent on something like this. It's a little thicker than the 5.0 which does run the grinder decently. I think the 9.0 would really bring the tool to life and make it more useful
>>1278860
Time and a place for everything. When you work for living with some of these tools it is worth it to be able to run to the truck and grab one then walk 200 feet away and run the tool.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.