[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 106 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Meta on /qa/ only.
All meta discussion of boards is to be redirected to /qa/.

File: leslie neilson.jpg (11 KB, 500x260)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
Went to Lowes to look at wood for a project I'm doing. (taking old BSR record players and replacing the crumbling particle board or cracked plastic with butcher block).

>be me, enter the high security tool section with beeping cameras.
>head on over to the saws and planes.
>checking out a no name mini plane- $9.99
>Lowes clerk approaches.
>greets me with "welcome to Lowes"
>holding the plane in my hand, I ask if they have Lie-Nielson block planes
>Lowes clerk responds: "Sorry, no movies here."
>don't know what he was talking about. It may have been a language barrier since he was apparently from Africa or something, heavy accent.
>"I'm looking for a Block Plane by Lie-Nielson", I ask again.
>He responds, "Sir, no movies here" angrily and walks away.

I don't know what he was talking about. What kind of training do they provide? Additionally, I was looking at their wood working project magazines, and every single magazine had high end block planes and dove tail saws and levels,and chisels. None of the featured tools in the magazine in the tool section of Lowes is carried by Lowes.

Later I figure it out, he might have been thinking of the Hijack movie with Liam Neeson.
>>
>go to Lowe’s
>ask where started fluid is
>16 year old looking kid goes “I’ve never heard of that, not sure if we’d have it”
>proceeds to google it on the Lowe’s website on his phone.....

>I am Ron Swanson
>>
>>1285227
On a side note go to ace looking for an eye bolt, pvc endcaps and a wingnut and ask ancient looking guy where wingnuts are, he walks down giant wall of small part boxes and picks them out immediately... tell him he’s got a great memory for where stuff is, he says “I later out this aisle 50 years ago” ....

> realize I am in the presence of someone with a much higher power level than I posses... over 9000
>>
>>1285228
“I layed out”

Ducking auto carrot
>>
>>1285220
>Go to SLowes
>go to glass cutting area to get two 8X10 sheets
>They have none premade and ready to go
>search for glass cutting schmoe, any schmoe around, walk down like 5 aisles to find someone
>basketball american
>dammit
>ask him to cut 2 8X10 glass sheets
>he cuts one, takes him forever to adjust the machine. I would have done this myself had it not been locked behind a plexiglass door
>fucks it up, cuts it to the wrong size. He tosses it and puts in a new one.
>looks again at the machine, adjusts it, cuts, realizes he fucked up and TRIES TO CUT THE SAME PANE HE SCORE IN A DIFFERENT SPOT.
>He makes this cut, but it doesn't matter since he already half scored the line. He breaks it and of course it doesn't break straight.
>White attendant hears what's going on next aisle over and takes over,
>cuts both no problem.

I swear, they must not be worried about employee insurance coverage with some of the tools they have them working there, especially the miter saw in the moulding area.
>>
I was in HD the other day looking for mineral oil. The entire staff was trying to convince me i wanted mineral spirits.

was is i in the wrong for going to a hardware store for mineral oil?
>>
>>1285247
slightly, it isn't advertised as mineral oil but they have it in the kitchen section next to the ugly cutting boards.
>>
>>1285251
i did find the cutting board oil, but it wasn't pure mineral oil. it had waxes mixed in.

i just wanted mineral oil

( ._.)
>>
>>1285247
I went to home depot looking for square and flat aluminum stock. They don't sell it with the rest of their steel stock but as window and frame materials in the window and framing section.

It's hopeless to go there to look for a specific material.
>>
>>1285227
Well he might not be in that department fuckhead
>>
>>1285274
That could be, but how do you not know what starting fluid is? I had to explain it was something you sprayed in a weedwacker when convincing it too run... and if your not gonna try and learn your store why bother? I can google the same shit on my phone just as fast as they can, which is what I do now... on a side note I’d recommend doing this anyway as lots of time they’ll have stuff mislabeled or misspriced..
>>
>>1285247
I went to Ace for mineral oil. Talked to the owner for 5 minutes, shot the shit a bit, got exactly what I wanted.
>>
>>1285286
does your ace have free popcorn?
I go there despite being more expensive just for the popcorn.
>>
File: cvs-mineral-oil.jpg (8 KB, 115x224)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>1285258

You go to the pharmacy to find mineral oil. It's also used as a digestive lubricant.
>>
>>1285292
> Digestive lubricant
Yep, that's a good use. It's a Group 1 carcinogen. So, bonus!
>>
>>1285287
No, but it is conveniently close for small stuff, I've been riding my bike there since I was 12, and my last maintenance job was right up the street so i was there all the time. Still have a standing job offer from Jim.
>>
>>1285294
>mineral oil
>carcinogen
no. just no
http://www.chemistry.mcgill.ca/msds/msds/8042-47-5.pdf
>>
>>1285294
International Agency for Research on Cancer
Group 1: Carcinogenic to humans
Alcoholic beverages
I stopped reading there.
>>
>>1285297
I think that just causes liver cancer; in which case you might need to get one of your livers removed and you can probably get by on just one.
>>
File: group-1-mineral-oil.png (88 KB, 1331x304)
88 KB
88 KB PNG
>>1285296
You can probably find a study that indicates that smoking actually cures cancer.
>>
File: traps are gay.png (213 KB, 1228x1315)
213 KB
213 KB PNG
>wikipedia
>mac
>>
>>1285227
ok, you won. I've got to look at this show.

what is the best season?
>>
>>1285311
it's reddit the show, and ron swanson is a liberal cuckhold irl. i'd fucking rape that plaza girl though.
>>
File: He Doesn't use Linux.jpg (105 KB, 675x473)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>1285294
>>1285296
>>1285304
Looks like a /diy throwdown. Dis gonna be gud.
>>
>>1285315
it's not. here's another SDS from Sigma that was revised last year.
https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/MSDS/MSDS/DisplayMSDSPage.do?country=US&language=en&productNumber=M5904&brand=SIGMA&PageToGoToURL=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sigmaaldrich.com%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct%2Fsigma%2Fm5904%3Flang%3Den

The IARC considers bacon a carcinogen due to the nitrates. it's california tier bullshit.
>>
>>1285311
Don't listen to that other guy.
Start from the beginning, but understand that it takes about halfway through the first season for the show to find itself. It started as a very straight rip of The Office, but starts to bust out of that mold later in the season.
>>
>>1285299
You might be thinking of kidneys... you generally only get one liver unless your Clapton
>>
>>1285284
They're big stores. It takes a while to learn.
>>
>>1285346
I get that but you’d think they would at least know that starter fluid is a thing that exists...
>>
>>1285316
>https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/MSDS/MSDS/DisplayMSDSPage.do?country=US&language=en&productNumber=M5904&brand=SIGMA&PageToGoToURL=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sigmaaldrich.com%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct%2Fsigma%2Fm5904%3Flang%3Den

Oh, how much does the Sigma oil cost? I'm sure it's the same as ACE Hardware's.

That's because the US does not operate on the "precautionary principle" like most of the rest of the world.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.2903/j.efsa.2012.2704/epdf

I'm not putting that shit in my body because I don't need to.

• It's made from crude oil/coal tar. Would you ingest tar?
• It *never* goes rancid like most other vegetable oils. Very hard to break down.
• You don't know where it came from (other than from the ground), who made it, or exactly what it contains.

I sure as hell wouldn't be using the ACE hardware store brand, and there are simply better laxatives out there. It's simply unnecessary to put that shit into my body.
>>
>>1285344

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Liver
> The average human has two livers, but some people are born with only one;

You couldn't publish that on the internet if it wasn't true.
>>
>>1285304

That's the key right there, "untreated and mildly treated" means, I assume, that it has not been through a refinery. Raw mineral oil out of the ground is a mix of all sorts of lengths of hydrocarbons, a stew of molecules if you will. Some of the real short chain stuff (I assume) is nasty. Get rid of that, and you are golden.

Example: Vaseline. That stuff was a waxy contaminate in some oil wells (coming right out of the ground with oil). Some guy - Robert Chesebrough - comes along and starts putting it in jars because it is so amazing for healing skin.

An here - on the mineral oil page they note that highly refined oils are different from "untreated or mildly treated" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil
>>
>>1285294
>>1285352
It's for livestock. Though I'm sure there are some anti-vaccine types that use it too
>>
>>1285352
>It's simply unnecessary to put that shit into my body.

Why would you ingest some sort of bio-active molecule if you don't have to? Mineral oil is a laxative just because it is a mechanical lubricant. Stopped up with shit? Grease the works rather than try to activate some odd metabolic path, that you body is going to have to down-regulate later.
>>
Go to home Depot to get a key made
Two boomers home Depot workers standing around talking about bullshit near the key maker
Hey can I get a key made?
They look at each other annoyed hinting they don't want to do it
"Do you want me to do it jack"
One of the boomers takes keys
He plays around on the electronic screen
"Oh our machine can't make this type of key"
Go to local locksmith and get it done for half the price without the Boomer hassle
>>
File: lucky-strike-1930.png (1.21 MB, 800x795)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB PNG
>>1285379
>>1285382

Ahh, yes, Vaseline. Another stupid idea they thought was good back in 1872. Cripes, that was even before Radithor!

Guess what? Not every old-time remedy turned out to be a good idea. Science and common sense ultimately prevailed.
>>
>>1285404

No shit, I have never, ever heard anybody say anything negative about Vaseline health-wise in any way. It's even the base in Neosporin!

The only non-health bad things I have heard of is that it weakens condoms if you use it as a sexual lubricant and it feels greasy on the skin when you use it for moisturization ?sp?.

Are you an anti-vaxor?

What is your perceived problem with petroleum jelly?
>>
File: 1511543155059.jpg (47 KB, 476x451)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>1285407
Not him, but it seems impossible to find a moustache trainer without petroleum jelly in it. The ingredient blocks the pores, leaving me with acne like I'm some pubescent; at the same time though, the petroleum jelly allows for more sculpting because of how pliable and maneuverable it is. A bit off topic, sorry...
>>
File: badger.png (396 KB, 500x500)
396 KB
396 KB PNG
>>1285409
Badgers does not have petrouim jelly. Its got bees wax. Am I missing somthing here?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (31 KB, 480x360)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>1285258
this. industrial grade chemicals are allowed to have waxes and human feces mixed in. its not for cutting boards. they probably dont even have the proper business class to source food grade products. its why you cant use industrial solvents to thin or clean anything. loaded with fucking wax.

>>1285284
in australia, we have "start ya bastard." it costs 3x as much as starting fluid which nobody knows what it is. but its just a meme can of starting fluid.

>australia
>only 2 hardware stores
>go to trade stores whenever i can
>as long as you know exactly what to ask for when you arrive they just get it for you with no questions or rudeness or tell you to just hire someone to do whatever you're going
>avoid spilling ron swanson spaghetti
>go to mitre 10
>30$ chink screwdrivers
>insulated electrician tools of a good brand on ebay for 12$
>same brand at hardware store $80
>they dont know what cement sheeting is
>they dont know what fire retardant caulk is
>buy a specialty $100 plumbing valve
>take it home, get ready to install it
>check mating surfaces
>its dirty inside
>it's scored
>take it back
>argue with salesperson over how its obviously a used damaged product
>see it on the shelf next time i go in
>they just decided to resell a broken used valve meant for drinking water that will never seal
>every time i return stuff there they look at me like a worthless retard scammer piece of shit who doesnt know what he's doing
>literally just getting broken shit that they're repackaging with security seals and putting back on the shelf

>bunnings opens across the road
>I never have to go back to mitre 10
>oh thank you jesus
>staff dont treat me like a retard for asking them to cut down 6m lengths of lumber and pipe ie. doing literally what they're paid to do
>trying to buy insulation
>they tell me where it is
>I look around for 10 minutes
>ask them to show me
>bitch rolls eyes
>its on top of the racks, in a staff only area. hidden behind other shit, not where theysaid
>>
>>1285501
post of the year
month*
day**
hour***
>>
>>1285311
Show is garbage except some Ron scenes. Just watch a compilation on youtube.
>>
>>1285346
for you
>>
>>1285284
you've gotta be in the right department. you've also got to know what you're doing. obviously it would be in the car section because there are rules about storing flammable items. starting fluid works by just being incredibly easy to ignite, the slightest compression makes it go boom. that said, i did go to one bunnings where they stored all the dangerous shit together. there was pool chemicals stacked above flamable shit with sodium hydroxide and sodium hypochlorite stacked above flamable liquids with the pool chlorine having leaked out of a broken package onto the packages of flamable liquids.
>slowly explained to a few staff why this was really bad and they needed to fix it
>oh you're a crazy person who thinks they're better than me
>this is the way its always done
>dont bother trying to explain why the whole store will catch fire if you dont follow basic safety instructions anymore
>>
>>1285582
It was in with the lawnmowers and wasn’t anywhere near the car stuff tho
>>
>>1285558
Agree. But the vegan bacon skit and the hardware store but make up for a lot of boring sins...
>>
>>1285413
Thanks anon, I'll look into that brand. I hear that the non petroleum products have to be heated up a bit before use, but that's fine
>>
>>1285228
That's because Ace is the place with the helpful hardware folks. But real talk, Ace is one place I've felt confident asking questions.
>>
>>1285391
>Oh our machine can't make this type of key
I fucking can't stand this shit. I know for a fact 9 times out of 10 you can put any fucking blank in and cut the key.
>>
>be CM
>live in Liberal Shithole of Maryland
>go to Home Depot
>all wimmin staff
>leave
>>
>>1285762
>live in rural upstate NY
>never see a non-white
>go to CT for a job
>walk into HD at 1900
>mexicans in the parking lot, mexicans working the booths, mexicans everywhere

what happened to my country?
>>
>>1285767
western new york is the aberration and what happened is the declines of american industry and social mobility made it so that almost nobody wants to move out there because there aren't any jobs that let you leave the farm. There aren't many young people in western new york either, because we have to move to someplace like pittsburgh or connecticut to get a fucking job. Anyways, there are a surprising number of hispanic people out in dairy country, and I know you've seen indians.
>>
>>1285228

Fucking awesome. I used to think old men were shit but the closer I get to being an old man the more I realize how based they are
>>
Lowes
Stow, ohio
For all the reasons in this thread:
Worst location on the continent
>>
>>1285716

>you can put any blank in and cut the key

You're fucking retarded.
>>
>>1285716
Are you retarded
>>
>>1285352
>Would you ingest tar?
I would and I have because I'm not a pussy.
Unless you are what you eat.
In that case I am a pussy.
Except I'm also not a pizza.
I don't want to discuss pineapple.
>>
>>1285247
i would have thought the place to get mineral oil would be a drug store 2bh.
>>
>>1285379
more likely, the thing that is carcinogenic about unrefined oils is going to be polyaromatic hydrocarbons, not short-chain oils. Aromatic hydrocarbons (the prototypical case being benzene) can "stick" in between the base pairs of DNA and fuck shit up when the cell decides its time to divide, eventually leading to genetic mutations that can cause cancer. It's the same main causative agent of cancer from smoking. Nicotine itself is not carcinogenic; it's the fact that you're inhaling organic material that's been burned to ash (some of it turning into PAHs) that makes it carcinogenic.
>>
>>1285220
>>1285227
>be 18
>get hired at lowe's as a load puller
>pay is better than minimum wage
>received little to no customer service training because it's not in my job description
>literally in the back of the store all day, pulling appliances for delivery
>Occasionally have to walk through the store to get an accessory for a delivery
>Unshaven, sweat stained, 50 year old whistles from behind me to get my attention
>turn and listen to the fucking guy complain that he can't find a bolt for his stupid and that he's not going home till he finds it
>ignore every little detail he mentions
>"ahh okay sir, lemme call someone in this department for you"
>180 walk away back to the receiving area, knowing that i'm not going to call anyone for him
I would occasionally call someone to that department if the customer wasn't a dick. For the most part, the customers expected anyone with a red vest on to know everything about the store and that sorta annoyed me. Of course I coulda done more on my part but I wasn't going to receive any punishments for not helping out a customer.
>>
>>1285716
>. I know for a fact 9 times out of 10 you can put any fucking blank in and cut the key.

Yeah, no. You need the correct blank.
>>
>>1285863
>>turn and listen to the fucking guy complain that he can't find a bolt for his stupid project and that he's not going home till he finds it
>>
>>1285863

So in other words you literally had no business working in a store for construction and engineering professionals because they hired you to be a retarded laborer who moves boxes.

Quite literally the whole point of all the complaints in this thread.

Literally.
>>
>>1285870
You know I was 18 right? And that I worked in a garden center for one year previous to that?
Also I would be careful throwing around the word "professionals". It's almost laughable that you think that anyone who worked at a home improvement store is a professional. If they were anything close to it, they would work in pro services, as an installer, or an actual engineering/construction company. Anyone with a red vest on needs 6 months of previous experience in any field related to retail. Lowe's literally hires 18 year olds to work in electrical, pluming and lumber. It's a retail store people, it's not employed by people who browse /diy/.
>>
Home Depot employee, D25 here.

fuck all you morons who need me to find you a bolt because you didn't notice the bright yellow plate with all the bolt sizes we carry.

or the other fucking morons who don't even know what they're doing and instead of picking up a book or accessing the biggest vault of information that has ever existed in the history of mankind with their phone that they insist on using two hands to operate when only one is needed, walk into the store thinking a 20-year old college kid is going to know everything about every product we carry.

get the fucking home depot app you fucking tards.
>>
>>1285247
yes

any pharmacy or store that has a healthcare dept should carry it
>>
happened just today

>go to Home Deppit to get some 3/4x3/4 square dowels
>grab a bottled cream soda from the hot dog stand guy on the way in
>walking toward lumber area
>neckbeard employee is dancing like a dork to the store music by his checkout desk
>I hit a quick dab
>he dabs back
>ask him to use his bottle opener to open my twist off bottle because I have pussy hands
>he does it while I dancing
>I grab my dowels and leave

8/10 trip would go again
>>
>>1285501
Best thing about Bunnings you can get a snag and support the community
>>
File: 20171127_182657.jpg (3.25 MB, 4032x3024)
3.25 MB
3.25 MB JPG
>>1285895
> always note the item numbers of the wide variety of bolts I often purchase so the cashier doesn't have to look them up
> present my timbers with the barcodes at the cashiers end, facing up
> carefully inspect all materials before taking them to the till
> still get stuck behind faggots who do none of the above, then expect everyone to wait while they go find a nicer looking piece of threaded rod.

I'm the guy who tells "those people" to get their shit together and stop wasting everyones time at the till, because I know you blokes can't. #NotAllCustomers
>>
>>1285857

Thanks a bunch, chemfag! I learned something new.
>>
>>1285247
>I was in HD the other day looking for X

finding shit in either Lowe's or Home Depot is easier than ever, faggots. first, go to one of their websites and set up your "home" store, whichever retail location you do the most business at. then search for your DIY dildo lube. then sort by what is available for in-store pickup. then click on the text to show you where that shit is at. ezpz. no asking Pajeet and Kumar where shit they don't know what is is. do this shit before you even walk in the doors so that you can zip right to the location like a boss before they catch you searching on your phone.
>>
>>1286019
Not always true. I don't know if their DB is messed up or what not, but I used that app to locate "medium heavy duty box" and the app said, 5,000 on hand in isle 8. Go to isle 8, nothing there. Ask the guy there, he was very helpful. They didn't have it anywhere in the store, so that app and their DB is not the best.

Had to special order it.
>>
>>1286019
>>1286135
My experience is databases (espacially with customer access) are a way too modern concept for most businesses to work properly. Last time i ordered a pizza online it didn't even get delivered because they mixed up all names and adresses in their DB (of course i payed via paypal). And that is like bebies first database application ever while learning how to make a simple website. Don't expect stuff to work if there's even the simplest real logistics behind it.
>>
File: Capture.png (219 KB, 1067x546)
219 KB
219 KB PNG
>>1286135
You special ordered a cardboard box?
>>
>>1285287
>hardware store
>popcorn
is the popcorn popped in mineral oil or something?
>>
>>1286529
Yup. Really didn't want to wait for the next truck so I special ordered like 20 boxes. And they gave me 50 percent off.
>>
>go to Sears
>Do you have a Shop Your Way® rewards account
>Would you like to open a Shop Your Way® Citi credit card?
Like fuck off cunt.
>>
>>1286578
how dare they perform a required function of their job and try to save you money
>>
>>1286595
You don't read the news huh
>>
>>1285266
Yap. Sadly.
>>
>>1285582
you may be right but if you've ever been a wagecuck you should know you mostly ignore the bullshit spouted by 99% of customers.
>>
File: gutter-oil-s.png (675 KB, 764x425)
675 KB
675 KB PNG
>>1285857

This. Of course, cigarettes are filtered nowadays, so there's zero carcinogenic effects. Just like your oil is "refined" leaving no aromatic hydrocarbons whatsoever.
>>
>go to home depot
>happen to be walking by the trim
>see an employing banging the back saws against metal
>>
>>1286578
Had a guy at Sears that wouldn't sale me something because I wouldn't give him a phone number. He got fired.
>>
>>1285220
Hardly any of the employees at Lowe’s know what they are talking about. I know a few at my store who do and women are a safer bet. I think that’s because women won’t make shit up if they don’t know. They just say I don’t know.
>>
>>1286722
I know but fuck I don’t like feeling like a fossil at 30....
>>
>>1287118

Yeah, exactly... I helped out this couple trying to replace their light bulbs. The lowes' guy working in the department didn't know about the deg K scale and warm vs. cold lighting.

So I took the time to explain it to the couple. Then I mentioned that all their bulbs were over-priced and they left.
>>
>>1285391
>Go to local locksmith and get it done for half the price without the Boomer hassle

The keys cost $1.98, what fucking locksmith cuts a key for $0.99? What locksmith still has a business location and not just a van?>>1285712

>But real talk, Ace is one place I've felt confident asking questions.
Ace is total shit around here. The middle aged white woman doesn't know shit and the tool aisle is locked and you have to find the one employee working to escort you in.
>>
>>1287116
While annoying, the kid was just trying to do their job and not get talked to like a 5 year old because they didn't have a high enough capture rate. Just use 867-5309.

>>1287206
Stop lying on the internet.
>>
File: radio shack.jpg (122 KB, 1100x735)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
>>1287228
Thats why I stopped going to Radio Shack. I just want to buy batteries!

I heard they went out of biz. At one time in America, every mall and strip had at least one Radio Shack.
>>
>>1286529
>Classic Medium Heavy Duty Cardboard Moving Box
>get it now people, its a classic
>>
File: dont call me shirley.gif (40 KB, 356x200)
40 KB
40 KB GIF
>>1285220
>Lie-Nielson block planes
>"Sorry, no movies here."

Leslie Nielsen in Airplane
>>
>>1287109
>cigarettes are filtered nowadays, so there's zero carcinogenic effects
>Just like your oil is "refined" leaving no aromatic hydrocarbons whatsoever
not sure if serious
filtered cigs don't have zero carcinogenic effects, they just filter some of the tars and particles
we could make cigarette filters that could be as effective as pharmaceutical hydrocarbon refinement and remove >99.99% of carcinogens
problem is, most people wouldn't be able to suck the smoke through it because of thickness and density
>>
>>1286722
>16 year old. Born in 02ish
Global Rule #2
You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18.

Enjoy your ban, dumbass.
>>
Reading comprehension of a 5 year old anon
>>
>>1287337
I think he ment that the person working in the store would have been 16, not the poster.
>>
Homeless Dipshit actively encourages the incompetence of their staff.

>2008, economy crashes
>Fill out application
>Your skill in these trade categories?
>Lumber: Professional
>Paint: Professional
>Electrics: DIYer
>Lighting: Professional
>Plumbing: DIYer
>Get hired as Lot Attendant
>Company policy is always stop to answer questions even if not your department
>Get told off by boss because I always end up in other ppl's department making them look bad
>>
>>1287225
The locksmith near my house has a shop. And yes its half the price of homedepot. lots of people take door knobs or deadbolts in for new cores. extra keys its surprisingly busy. he even explained to me how the lock i brought to him was well over a 100 years old and it still worked for under $5. how long did i think a keypad digital lock was going to work for.
>>
>>1287337
the guy has obviously owned 6 cars if you bothered reading the rest of his post, dumbass.
>>
>>1287812
the lock you brought him was broken, or you just brought it in for you to two mutual mastrubate onto?
>>
>>1285870
>a store for construction and engineering professional
lol, sure
>>
>>1285220
>Be younger kid doing project
>Have some experience in shop
>Go to "Tool Depot"
>Ask female behind counter for assistance
>....
>The loud middle age fat lady makes fun of how I worded the request
>Immediately leave without speaking as the 2 guys at the store-front who overheard me asking about an expensive item that leads to future sales attempt to assist me.
>Never go back

>Go to lowes
>College tech students are the only employees
>Ready to purchase bathroom fixtures
>Bring one of the many bar-codes to the cashier
>Waiting for delivery of fixtures.
>"Out of Stock"
>"We can order it for you"
>me: "Free shipping to my house?"
>"No sorry"
>Leave

I hate these places. My local ace is pretty good, they know their shit.
>>
>>1285788
From Akron ohio and can confirm stow is the worst Lowe's I've ever been too. The one in brimfield is decent though
>>
>>1287334

Pretty sure he was not serious. He is basically saying the possibility of coming in contact with even one nasty molecule outweighs the good that might come with the use of the product after 3 refinery stages and reaching pharmaceutical grade purity.

Perhaps he does not consider that we are all slowly dying, rotting meatbags continually bathed in soft radiation.
>>
>>1287479

Unfortunately a lot of companies are like that. Did you expect it to be a meritocracy?
How do you think stupid people manage to survive?
>>
why i prefer small business hardware stores
try to avoid all the big names
save a bit of money that way too sometimes get a free bit or other random cheap tools
>>
>>1285313
You could describe all shows and almost all actors with those buzzwords.
>>
>black friday
>go in lowes
>have 10 different employees ask me through out the store if I need help
>>
>>1287874
Akron anon reporting in. Only went to the Stow store a couple times no issues so far though. I'm at the Brimfield lowes almost daily. Solid store
>>
>>1285895
D24 here brother. Right on. Tired of explaining Sheens and paint grades to dumbass housewives having juan color their kitchen
>>
File: 1418703408770.jpg (129 KB, 897x891)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
>>1287873
They probably do free shipping to their location like many other stores. Or are you not old enough to drive yet?
Global Rule
>>
>>1289018
Yo who else /D24/ here?

I had a guy last night who spoke no English besides "I want white paint." I know I should have just given him whatever but I couldn't even tell if he wanted inside or outside. Even my explanation of "Sheen = how shiny" that usually works didn't. He'll probably end up returning what I gave him, but whatever.
>>
>>1285229
snickered
>>
>>1285880

The store is FOR construction professionals. The workers in the store service these professionals.

No wonder why you’re terrible, and work retail. You don’t even have basic reading comprehension.
>>
File: 1506284360097.jpg (43 KB, 570x587)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>1285220
Well no fucking shit you pretentious windsock. Lowe's is a garbage hardware store to begin with, and they cater to the homeowner crowd. Going in there to find a top of the line woodworking plane and expecting their $10/hr employee to readily know what you're talking about, illustrates what a fucking retard you are.
>>
>>1285220

big hardware stores have been the bane of my existence ever since i was able to hold a hammer.
but since recently ive moved to israel.
so the first time i went to a hardware store in Israel i thought i could get some screws and some wood
the only wood these fuckers sell is trimming pieces.
you can however buy screws, however they have the smallest assortment you have ever seen, and never the screws you need.
i tried to buy some wall sockets a few days ago, they have one brand.. if you dont like it piss off.
ive tried to buy decent tools, yeah forget it.

i could actually get better and cheaper tools in the car parts store.
every FUCKING thing you want to have you have to go to either a supplier or a small mom and pop store.
i cant even buy fiberglass anywhere.
i tried to buy a nail gun, well good luck and fuck you.. nearest store that sells one is 30 miles away.

israel is the killer of all diy dreams
>>
>>1290320

also, dont ever think about getting pvc pipe in a big hardware store, better call the fucking pluber because youre shit out of luck m8
>>
>>1285788
Apparently you've never been to the Wheeling, WV location.
>>
>>1290320
>>1290321
I thought you Jewish people were supposed to be good at business, it seems like there's a niche in the market to exploit for shekels
>>
>>1290296
>The store is FOR construction professionals.
No, it's for retarded homeowners and Mexican """professionals""". Actual professionals have real wholesalers.
>>
I get hit on and stared at every time I go in to buy materials. Hate that shit.
>>
>>1291650
post penis
>>
>>1285304
>needing digestive lube
just eat some bacon
>>
>my first job was the true value after school. I’m old and grey now, but do all my own homeowner crap. 1/3 of the people I worked with still haven’t retired. I know where everything is. Sure it costs a few cents more, but I have zero hassle and don’t need to ask about things often. I also get to support my friends and neighbors by shopping there instead of shareholders. Only go to box store if true value doesn’t carry what I’m looking for. Happens about once a year, spend half a day looking for product because box store employees are worthless and I’d rather struggle looking for something than get frustrated by their incompetence.
>>
>>1285346
I hate it when you ask for something you know for a fact they sell and, because the moron you ask hasn't heard of it, acts like you must be making it up or something.

Not in a hardware shop for me. In places like Poundland buying ranitidine, etc.
>>
>>1285854
>you are what u eat.

Must be a fucking shit ton of potatoe farms around here
>>
>>1285857
Shit, i have ate more salt water and crude oil than 90% of yall ate pussy and i am fine.

All unwilling, but gas wells... what are u gonna do
>>
>>1285228
>i now realize i've never seen an ace worker under 65
strange
>>
>>1285895
LOL.

Spurg rage is real.
>>
>>1285933
Get fucked
>>
>>1285956
Good anon.

Consider grabbing your knife and pop off bar code tags that are stappled on (in front of them)

But still better than 99% of edgelord faggits always in my fucking way. Get your shit, get the fuck out of the way, get the fuck out.

10/10 would shop in the same store as u
>>
>>1286135
Look online for car parts at autozone store.

2 in town 4t miles away. Check both, bith have everything in stock

Go to autozone. Find windshield wipers. Have to order the rest. No

Go to orielys. Find everything. I am gussing the wife is the one thst runs autozone. That place is a fucked up chain full of retards. Oriley a good dude
>>
>>1286535
They have a machine like the movies
>>
>>1290570

You’ve obviously never been in a bind, and behind schedule on a jobsite with an idiot subcontractor who will take five weeks to return because you’re missing two of Part X before, huh?

What is this? Babbys first job?
>>
I work at lowes, ama
>>1285220
Our training was shoe on head
retarded
Bunch of computer videos, explanation ofhow to use the computer systems, then some shadowing for a day or 2
>>1285227
We have ipods that integrate with our store inventory telling us if its im stovk as well as how many are on hand, kids stupid but if its not his department its better than guessing and being wrong as very rarely do people cross train
>>
>>1285236
Look up your lowes store #, thats the combo for most locks employees have to undo. Just claim to be new or sommething, noones payed enough to care.
>>
>Go to home Depot to get some supplies for a project.
>Look for an employee to assist me
>They are all busy dealing with assholes
>Amazed at their patience
>Wait patiently and get excellent service.
>>
>>1285945
After destroying the community small mom and pop hardware stores.
>>
>>1285767
Never driven through Brewster in the morning? Mexicans line the streets there hoping to get picked up for work
>>
>at Rona
>Buy a flooring gun to quickly throw down subfloor
>Get back to job site and open the box
>It has some assembly required and the tip of it looks like the end piece of an automatic weapon of sorts
>I put it together
>Screws won't counter sink like I need them to.
>Look through the instructions, which are for various models of similar products.
>It says the model I have, according to the model number on the box, has a knob on the accessory attachment that adjusts how far to sink screw
>Look at my accessory.
>No knob anywhere
>I call the help line thinking maybe the instructions are out of date
>The person on the line barely speaks English (their slogan is "proudly Canadian" btw)
>After about 20 mins of trying to explain my situation to her, I ask "is it possible the wrong accessory for placed in the box at the factory or something"?
>No sir that's impossible
>Well the model on the box says ******* and the picture of that Madeline is slightly different than the one I have in my hand
>If it says that model on the box, then that's the model
>Fuck this, hang up and drive all the way back to the store
>Show the guy at the contractors desk what's up
>First thing out of his mouth before I even finish explaining my problem is "they put the wrong accessory in the box for this model"
>>
>>1290267
Why the fuck are you guys at the paint aisle such autistic fucks? Ii went in there asking for white trim paint. The guy was like "well we've got 57 shades of white what shade do you want"? I don't care man I'm just flipping the house. Any white will do.

Then the fucker started going on about the cldifferent shades again. Nigger just give me white trim paint, pick one. Fuck.
>>
>>1292409
I mean sure he could have given you a random paint color.

But it's his job to inform people of their choice. You gotta understand that housewives and couples are normally the people he interacts with.
>>
Most common hardware store story I have.

>Hey, do you have xxx?
>Uh....why do you need it for it?
>Explain why I want it. Employee clearly has no idea what I'm talking about.
>Uh....no sorry...we don't have anything like that.

Why the FUCK did you ask why I need it? DO YOU HAVE IT OR NOT ASSHOLE?

*also, after looking around, they usually do have it.
>>
>>1285788

You should Try menards in Warren Ohio.

Most employees can not actually read a tape measure. Have had them cut several things for me, and were feet off.

They also have really bad attitudes. If you ask where something is, they often sigh, and roll their eyes and say, "follow me!" in a nasty tone. Because yeah fucker, you couldn't just point to it or give me directions, I'm that fucking stupid.

One time I was there, I asked the guy, "Hey, where are the nuts and bolts?"

"It's called the HARDWARE section!" he say, actually admonishing me in a real shitty tone. I'm thinking....yeah fucker i know what it's called, but I honestly didn't expect you to know that, seeing how every asshole in this store is the biggest idiot I've ever met, I was trying to dumb it down for YOU. Dickhead shakes his head and tells me to follow him, I disappear into another behind him and left the fucking store, found what I needed across the street.

I've actually thought about lodging a complaint with this place several times, funny enough, they don't have any way for a customer to complain to them.
>>
>>1286019

Yeah, also i've they've moved the store and haven't updated the map, which it's like 75% likely, then that's useless.

Also just because their inventory system SAYS they stock it, doesn't mean they actually do. I've used that dumb map shit several times, says they got 40 of them in stock, show up to the store to the exact spot they say, it's not there. Ask employee, they've never even heard of it, don't stock it.
>>
>>1292424
Former craft store employee here. Sometimes when we don't know the specific item, we ask what it's used for so we can identify the part of the store we can look for it.
>>
>>1292416
I get that but I had to tell him 3 times I don't care and then I just pointed at one "I'll take that".
>>
>>1287874
Astro?
>>
OP here, figure I'd comment on the green texts.

>>1292424
That sums up a lot of my visits. Just the other day I was looking for folding edge knife. Their knifes are behind some metal cage.

>Standing in front of the cage scanning the choices.
>ALL the choices are the kind where the blade is a hexagon, and disposable. I was looking for the Stanley 10-049 model or similar.
>BTW: they had 30 or so of the box cutter styles, but nothing knife like.
>Figure I'd check out one to see if it would work since it had a shirt clip.
>They cant find the key.
>after a while I leave, and fire up amazon app.

It seems like HD, and LWs are all about last minute quick grabs for normies working on their house for the weekend.

>>1292401
why do they even bother. I'm not racist or anything, but sometimes you get tech support from someone that doesn't speak your language.
For me the best method for tech support is the chat functions, since word inflection doesn't come into play.

>>1292269
I can say that for the most part I have never received excellent service. Mediocre at best.

>>1291962
True Value is pretty good, but lately they have become to appear like a dollar store.

>>1288871
what was black friday like at Lowes. It seems that Lowes/HD is about last minute project tools at the cheapest cost. Was it a bunch of contractors fighting over some lumber marked down?

>>1287873
Gotta ask about how you worded your request.
>>
>>1292755

>>1286578
This killed the Radio Shack star.

>>1285956
Very thoughtful of you. Retail sucks, unless its car sales or something.

>>1285933
Does anyone actually eat the food at these places? Like, really? Soda, water ok, but Home Depot hotdogs?

>>1285863
People say that he's still waiting after all these years.

>>1285767
How do you even hire a mexican worker? I've got a story about a day laborer that was arrested for hitting the homeowner with a rock in the head.

>>1287479
>>1285762
>>1285582
>>1285501
>>1285236
>>1285227

Do they vet these people?
>>
>>1285382
mineral oil is about the most hard core laxitive you can get.

There is no holding it to make it to the toilet to shit.
When you gotta shit out mineral il. You got liek no time.

also other laxitive don't do metabolic shit.
they soften stool by adding water to shit/ or the bowel itself.
>>
>>1292026
You are fine NOW. You will probably die of job-related illness well ahead of the rest of us.
>>
>>1293789

Or he will die at 100 like the fucks that smoke their entire lives and remain healthy. And by doing that hard, risky, probably well paid job he will have an opportunity to raise a family / do something useful with his life.

You can eat granola your entire life and still get eaten up by cancer. Live long enough, that is what will kill you.
>>
>7th grade
>get to do literally anything for a Science project
>decide to build a crossbow
>mom takes me to HD to buy the wood
>ask old guy in wood department to help me find wood
>this fucker fought in nam
>he picks out best wood for me
>cuts it into shape and gives me instructions on how to assemble it
>says to be careful where I shoot it cause when he built it in nam it went some inches into a bag of wet cement
>go home and assemble it over a few weeks (took a long time because i didn't have any electric sanders)
>fire it for the first time using a 2 inch pieces of wood as a bolt
>wood travels so fast I cant see it
>recoils so much i actually punched myself in the face
>too scared to ever actually use it again, made up results for the project

I wish everyone that worked in HD was as based as that man
>>
>go to Home depot a lot.
>not wearing an orange apron
>not wearing a name tag
>person comes up to me and ask where the henways are?
>I tell him I don't work here, but give him exact instructions on where to find them.
>he says I have been more help than any employee he has talked to.
>this happens all the time, not just at home depot.
>people think I work at whatever store I am in.
>>
>>1294333
>built a crossbow in nam
wut

I thought it was war, not arts and crafts
>>
>>1292409
White with a shot of black, never fails.
>>
>>1294409
I remember him saying that he was shown by some villagers how to do it. The villagers probably had tools lying around for this so it wouldnt take too long. You know people aren't in gunfights every second of every war, right?
>>
File: 1503535912534.png (219 KB, 440x458)
219 KB
219 KB PNG
>walk into lumber department in home depot
>look at the stamps on lumber in every single bay
>it's all douglas fir
>ask older manlet if they have any pine
>yeah 99% of this lumber is pine
>look through them all again
>they're still douglas fir
>decide to just buy douglas fir 'cause apparently they think any other species is unnecessary
>old guy walks hey
>"hey, by the way you guys don't have any pine"
>gets middle-school teacher explanatory voice out
>"okay, what did the stamps say?"
>"they're all douglas fir"
>"okay, and fir is...?"
>I don't say anything
>"pine. it's all pine"
>don't know who is the retard in this situation
>just say okay and leave
>google it later
>motherfucker Fir, Spruce and Pine are three distinct connifer species get fucked faggot
>tfw I'll prolly go back and buy more Douglas Pine
>>
>>1286019
I work at CVS and I've always wanted a store app like this. CVS is way too fucking cheap to bother though.

I imagine a future of having an AI personal assistant on your phone/watch and the cart/buggy in the store will have a little screen that wireless connects to your watch/phone and shows you where to find any items you want. The store tracks what items you have on you when you leave and you get charged without even bothering a cashier (Amazon Go does this already).
What's more, all the sales/price signs in the store are electronic and update the current sales any time necessary. The price accuracy is ~100% at all times. There are no items in the store w/o a price... The future is beautiful.
>>
>>1290267
Your customer was obviously not a pro. You wasted your time, Anon.
>>
>>1292755
>>after a while I leave, and fire up amazon app.
I feel you, bro. I do that when I can't find what I want. There's a reason Jeff Bezos is the first $100 billionaire.
>>
>>1294566
Douglas firs are not true fir trees. They are closer to pines, but are their own genus. In terms of usefulness as timber, they are equivalent to pine species. You're splitting hairs here.
>>
File: 1507936939189.jpg (80 KB, 900x675)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>1285227
>Be me, 16 year old kid
>Picked up a pt job for gas money
>Dunno shit, but willing to learn
>Big ass mumbling fag waddles towards me
>Gasping for air, he belches, 'STAARRRTED FLUID?!!'.
>Hmm. I've heard of starter and starting fluid.
>Either he's retarded or is autistic and saw a gay youtube video where someone peddled some dumb shit.
>I don't get paid enough for this shit and I need to get back to stocking shelves. I'm embarrassed for this thing causing a scene.
>'Uhhh ... I'm not sure sir'.
>'UHH! AUWGH MUH GAWD!! Can you believe this guy?!!'
>>
>>1285863
>literally in the back of the store all day, pulling appliances for delivery
Literally? As in you're the Rosa Parks gloryhole of a robotic Asian massage parlor?
>>
>>1294629
Jiggly>>>>>>>Treasure
>>
>>1286019
>>1286135
former HD wage slave here, ill give you an insider tip to make simple trips to the store go much smoother.

if the website says everything that you want is available at your store, buy it right then and there and choose the in-store pickup option. as soon as your order processes it will appear on one of our phones and somebody will go out and grab it off the shelf for you and bring it to the service desk at the front of the store for you to pick up. you will receive a text message/email when the order is ready and we will call you to discuss changing or cancelling the order if its something we don't actually have.

this is usually done within two hours (that is not guaranteed so dont be a dick about it if it takes longer) and the team that is in charge of all order fulfillment is generally much more competent than the average schmuck wandering around the aisles so if its in the store we'll know where it is and how to get it for you.
>>
>>1287873
>>me: "Free shipping to my house?"

you reek of entitlement.
>>
>>1294408
what the fuck is a Henway?
>>
>>1294566
pine boards are in the vertical racks by the trim and facial boards. if its stored horizontally its not pine.
>>
>>1294629
What the fuck, are those dead yet?
>>
>>1294743
also if you order lumber online dont expect anything beautiful, if you want perfect wood come in and pick it out yourself.
>>
File: 1480494628483.jpg (338 KB, 1280x960)
338 KB
338 KB JPG
>>1294874
We're all dead inside.
>>
I once went to Home Depot looking for tips for a soldering gun, and what do you know the store doesn't even carry tips separate from the soldering guns. I had to use a paperclip that day.
>>
>looking for washers at lowes
>I need a specific ID and OD
>look carefully because I don't want to ask the employees but I can't find what I want
>ask the boomer down the aisle, describe exactly what I want
>he grabs the bolt I brought for sizing out of my hand
>literally just stares at the row of washers for 10 fucking minutes
>uh, yeah, I don't think we have that
>>
>>1285407
good for lubing up and protecting o-rings in water based systems too
>>
bought a 10 pack of switches at Lowe's a couple months ago. Just opened the box yesterday, only 5 in it.
>>
>>1290320
serves you right for moving there
>>
>>1285956
>>1285895
D25, 27, 28 former apron wearer.
So much this. lol
>>
>>1295319
former D25, D78 and D94 here, glad to be away from that place but i miss the amount of exercise i used to get running around putting orders together. sitting at desk all day is turning me into a fat ass.
>>
homeless despot:Put 21 bundles of of shingles and other misc roofing crap on cart, go to front to check out. Shoulda been over $600 in stuff bill is 127.. hmm act cool anon, pay and walk out... She only charged for 1 bundle dunno why.

another homeless despot; bought a bunch of sono tubes (concrete forms) 8" 10" and 12" diameters. Nested them inside each other... Clerk scans the three 12" ones, ignores contents.... act cool anon. walk out. Save hundreds again!
>>
>>1295556
oddly enough many of the sono tubes of the same size (same barcodes) nest inside each other. more than once ive put 2-3 tubes together for a customer even though they ring up as the same thing.
>>
>>1294756
About 4 to 6 pounds.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.