[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 130 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Meta on /qa/ only.
All meta discussion of boards is to be redirected to /qa/.

File: serveimage.jpg (16 KB, 368x200)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
Do lumberyards stock 4x4s? I'm going to a lumberyard for the first time tomorrow and I need 4x4s. Will they have them?
>>
Of course. Even bigbox's have 4x. A good yard should even have 6x.
>>
>>1285932
yes? a million different types of them

are there water solenoids that require no pressure to open? I'd assume it would just take a lot more power than ones like sprinklers that require a couple psi to open
>>
>>1285973
also please link. I ordered this one to test it out, the owner said it will open with 0 psi (as stated) but I wanted to verify

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-2pcs-lot-G1-4-solenoid-valve-Plastic-valve-normally-closed-2-Way-0-120PSI/1477023813.html

going to test it but still don't believe it (it'll be a long while till it is here)
>>
File: black.jpg (152 KB, 1401x1582)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
Is this a pliers?
>>
c
a
l
l

t
h
e
m
>>
File: bsr.jpg (95 KB, 800x600)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
OK: I'm working on a project: Take an old BSR record player and replace the crumbling particle wood with a true wood.

Its just a box with a whole in the top and a recess and lip for the plastic lid.

I'm considering bamboo and plan on making butcher block from the bamboo planks of 8 x 1 x 16. then miter a 45 degree cut to make the box.

I have:
a hand saw, block plane medium, sandpaper, clamps and glue, and a hand saw. I also have a hack saw and a wooden miter box. Tape measure, sliding t square, and a drill.

What should I look out for? Should I sand the planks before gluing? Should I plane the planks? Staining the bamboo: the original is OAK laminate over chip wood and its from the 60's/70's. Best way to stain bamboo?

Thanks. Thats all the stupid questions I have for now. Will follow up with even more stupid questions.
>>
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CLEVELAND-HELICAL-PLAIN-MILL-CUTTER-21-4-X-275-X-5-8-60T/192348559367

How bad an idea is it to put a milling cutter on an angle grinder?
>>
>>1286317
Extremely. Check out some gore threads on /gif/
>>
>>1285973
The ones that are in dishwashers. They are just a gate-valve that's held shut by a spring and opened by a solenoid.
>>
>>1285932
no. only lowes and ace hardware carry 4x4's. typically lumberyards only stock structural steel and PVC piping. ignore the trolls.
>>
>>1286411
Any idea where I can find them? I checked on ebay and such they don't really say anything about their specs
>>
>>1285932
Treated, yes. Untreated are usually special order
>>
>>1286317
you will die
>>
>>1286424
What's the difference? Why would home depot have raw pine 4bys and not an actual lumberyard
>>
File: IMG_20171128_115245938.jpg (2 MB, 2340x4160)
2 MB
2 MB JPG
Is this ok? Don't want to burn the house down
>>
>>1286462
Untreated 4x4's aren't nearly as common because 4x4's aren't used typically in home construction. If it is going outside it needs to be treated.

>>1286774
It's fine.
>>
>>1285973
Electric work?
>>
>>1286774
>F

wait till 101 C then start to worry
>>
File: DSC_0288.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160)
3 MB
3 MB JPG
Have an electric motor I can't identify and can't figure out the wiring for. Nameplate says it's single phase, 1/2hp, 115v ac, 1725/1140rpm. It has 6 terminals on the back, in two groups of 3. I think it's made by Delco, with a possible part number of C2820 but I can't find it online.

Anyone feel like helping a noob out with this? When I plug it in using the 2-prong plug, it hums, does not spin, and heats up. Pic related
>>
File: DSC_0289~01.jpg (791 KB, 2160x2071)
791 KB
791 KB JPG
>>1287029
And here is the wiring
>>
File: SHq5D9e.jpg (47 KB, 520x937)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
Can I get an ID on this wood? It was in an dude's garage for I don't know how many years before he passed. 2x6x24. Was greyed and rough-sawn on the outside before I planed the ridges down. Initially it was showing a rich dark color below the yuck, but that that too came away to this fantastic pattern. Extremely hard and dense, it feels super smooth when planed or scraped and it's heavy as shit - about 5lbs, even while being so old and dry.

>>1287029
>>1287031
always check continuity using your multimeter before plugging any motor in. Also check continuity with the casing as well before plugging them in.
>>
File: TOY-MOTOR-253.jpg (74 KB, 1000x1000)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>1285932
What is a cool thing I can do with this?
>>
>>1287060
I did check all the terminals with an ohmmeter. Seems fine.
With some more experimentation, it seems to run for two seconds, click, stop for two seconds, then start again and repeat. Taking it apart, it has at least one mechanical switch near the wires, and some contraption with springs on the rotor.
>>
>>1287069
Convert electrical potential into rotational energy.
>>
how can I build a 155mm cannon capable of firing a 63kg projectile at an initial velocity of 820m/s at a maximum angle of 40 degrees above horizon and 8 degrees below and a maximum firing range of 16km with a $5000 dollar budget
asking for a friend
>>
>>1287101
thats pretty cool alright
>>
>>1287178
steal one
>>
File: Capture.png (1 KB, 59x52)
1 KB
1 KB PNG
im reading a schematic but i dont know what is this symbol
please help
>>
>>1285932
yes but don't let them sell you the 3.5x3.5's ask for the real 4x4's the pros use.
>>
>>1287557
Best guess is some sort of normally closed button
>>
Any advice for getting the regulator off a gas grill? Mine went bad bought a new one can't get the old one off. WD-40 hasn't seemed to help. I'm scared if I put any more pressure into it im gonna crack the gas line. If I can't figure it out im going to cut the line and turn it into a smoker.
>>
>>1287557
are there other references to tdr7 elsewhere on the schematic?
>>
>>1287810
check which direction it's threaded
>>
>>1287820
I'm not that hopeless. I'm turning it the right way. It's about 4 years old. No apparent rust. I've kept a cover on it consistently
>>
Can I create a USB to HDMI converter by soldering together a USB cord and an HDMI cord?
>>
>>1287876
no. there would be a mismatch on the wires inside the cables
>>
>>1287876
Sure thing. You can also make a wireless charger by cutting USB cable in half.
>>
>>1287557
time delay relay with normally closed contacts?
>>
My jointer is 6" wide and its infeed-outfeet are 30" tip to tip. When I try to joint a 60" face flat, I get these cutterhead-size undulations randomly. I'm thinking it might be because I'm making microscoping movements of the board because it's so much longer than the infeed table and I have to support it. Will post pics tomorrow but anyone else have this issue?
>>
I'm getting some old WW2 bakelite stuff but they have a little bit of dirt and whatever else on them. Since it's not metal or wood, it wouldn't harm the condition or anything if I were to clean it up right? I've found some methods on cleaning bakelite.
>>
>>1288463
>>
>>1288463
>>
>>1288463
Random is only random to the simple minded. Everything happens for a reason.

Your surface isn't balanced and you're seeing them 'randomly' at the front and back of a board due to bounce. Adjust your surface or just sand it out.
>>
>>1288482
Actually I think this is due to taking too large of a cut.

>>1288479
Telltale sign of a bounce and not going in flush.
>>
File: 5715900_orig.jpg (106 KB, 1024x768)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
What's the best /diy/ bang-for-your-buck way to replace all the flooring in my house?

1960's house. Creaks and the floor is beyond refinishing. Wanna be frugal, but will only have me to blame.

Got a miter saw and have done trim around the house without issues. Should I snag someone with experience off CL to guide me, or just grow a pair. Also, best source for 1,700 sq ft of wood?
>>
What are the limiting factors in the strength of a linear actuator?
>>
>>1288603
>Also, best source for 1,700 sq ft of wood?

Reclaimed wood. Make sure it's not treated or you'll get cancer and have a toxic waste dump on your house. Cheap in cost but not in labor and makes your house gain massive value.
>>
>>1288699
the size of the planet you're using as a fulcrum
>>
>>1288603
Once you get it up if the subfloor creaks dry running some screws down into the joists. Or you get to it from below dry some construction adhesive along the joists.
>>
>>1288776
Thanks. Screwing the subfloors was half of my reasoning to replace instead of refinishing.

Any issue with that causing sloping/warping etc? Should there be a middle membrane added to help pad things?

>>1288772
I'm not using pallets as flooring.
>>
>>1286424
>Untreated 4x4's aren't nearly as common because 4x4's aren't used typically in home construction.

you're talking shit. 4x4 is definitely used in home construction.

>t.lumber buyer
>>
Do you guys know those military log books? The ones that have the certain material on the covers? How do I get stuff printed in that kind of book? I am trying to get some stuff printed and I, for the life of me, can't find out what it is.
>>
>>1288804
What are pine 4x4's used for in typical home construction? I'm a contractor and have never seen one or used one even once in an interior application.
>>
What exactly do I do with an automatic center punch? I bought one cheap thinking it was a regular punch.
>>
>>1289138
Press down on a piece of material with it.
There's a spring inside that will store up energy and then release it all in one go, giving you a dimple in your material.

It's good because you can hold you material with one hand and operate the punch with your other hand.
A regular punch needs both hands to operate; one to hold the punch, one to wield the hammer.
>>
>>1288804
Dunno about the US, but here in Europe it seems rare for it to be included with structural lumber as well. I wanted some for table legs and I had to specifically find a shop which also supplied furniture makers.
>>
File: 91Rp5E5Lf4L._SL1500_.jpg (298 KB, 1500x1001)
298 KB
298 KB JPG
cuting a 1/4 inch deep 12x24 trough in my workbench and putting pic related + a sheet of protective plexiglass over it.

Good idea/bad idea?
>>
>>1288787
>I'm not using pallets as flooring.
Welcome to /diy/
>>
>>1289151
If you change your point of view you change the position of the lines relative to a work piece. So unless it's meant to be decorative it's a bad idea yeah. Even if it were decorative I'd use glass instead.
>>
>>1289161
So the plexiglass has a refractive effect? What about 1/8" and just the mat, no clear over it?
>>
>>1289164
That would be better, but why not get a cutting mat the size of the whole workbench?
>>
has anyone here made/tried to make a storage box/parts organizer (forgive me, I can't remember the names of the damn things) out of a milk crate?

I'm looking to make essentially a small parts screw box(?) out of one, because having all of my small electronics components scattered everywhere is giving me anxiety.

also, hypothetically, how many and how often do you thing someone could nab milk crates from a walmart before they get pissed off
>>
File: Capture.jpg (146 KB, 1545x810)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
Noticed that my wood shed has some kind of dry rot growing on the bottom back beam, which sits on the ground. Even though the beam is treated multiple times with a woodcare product (pinotex) and the boards on the walls of the shed are spaced a few centimeters apart to allow the firewood stored there to dry. But this year has been so damn wet all the time. Literally multiple times the usual rainfall, so everything is moist and wet all the time.

So now snow has fallen, the temperature is around 0'C.

What can I do at the moment to hinder the growth of the rot or maybe even kill it? or is there nothing I can do short of cutting the beam out and replacing it - nothing that can be done at the moment, only in the spring.

Help pls. Thanks.
>>
>>1289318
I used to use them to organize fasteners. Just cut the top off 1/2 gallon milk cartons. But now the cartons are all plastic.
>>
>>1289318
Grade schools around here stack them 8 high. When I'm feeling extra degenerate, I load up my entire car, unload, then knock up another school.

Great for storing wine, electrical wire, scrap wood, misc junk ...
>>
File: 20171202_111252.jpg (3.08 MB, 1835x3263)
3.08 MB
3.08 MB JPG
>>1289371
>>1289363
They're super versatile and I already borrowed a few to use as bookshelves

Now I'm looking to see if anyone has already done the work of figuring out how to make a small parts organizer out of one
>>
Ok, probably the best thread to ask. I've got a Logitech keyboard (K270?). One of the keys isn't connecting as well as the others and it's becoming quite a pain.

I pulled out the key and the rubber under it doesn't look different from the one next to it which works fine.

Anyone know what it could be? I basically have to push the key somewhat hard for it to work.
>>
>>1289012
i see them used all the time for stairs and exterior openings
>>
>>1289491
It does this even when you're pressing the rubber dome itself to the bare contact?
>>
File: 1509143956723.jpg (31 KB, 530x530)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
How can I tell if two outlets are on the same or different phase?
>>
>>1289502
Yes, but I have to press a little harder than the one next to it still.
>>
File: zipper.jpg (1.43 MB, 2894x3696)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB JPG
I accidentally pulled this zipper out of its spot. There's not an 'end' on the off side which I can reach to put it back on.

What would be the best way of getting it back on? I was thinking of making a cut at the corner visible in the pic, sliding it back on there, but I don't know that I could make it whole again.
>>
>>1289513

remove the stitches, put zipper on, apply stiches.

or find an older woman, ask her to do it and give her a couple flowers as a thank you.
my mom (rest her soul) could do this really well, sowing is turning into a lost art.

i would recommend everyone to do a sowing course and save themselves a shit ton of money.
>>
>>1289508
In the first outlet's phase, kill your wife's father. If she disappears, you are in the correct phase. If not, the second outlet is in the correct phase.
>>
>>1289508

measure voltage between the two live terminals: 0V = same phase, 240V = diff phase.
>>
How does one run wires and plumbing in a stone house? Do you just use the floor as much as possible and run pvc for switches, outlets and fixtures?
>>
>>1289714

I don't like running pvc through floors.
I use ceilings wherever possible.
From there to light switches and sockets
>>
>>1289717
I meant for the walls, wherein in the rubble between the masonry faces you would run pvc... for floors i would just staple to the beams
>>
>>1289717

Also, reason for that is that you can put acces boxes in ceilings or walls but you can not just open up a floor.
Also, you're going to have to go to the ceiling anyway, best to keep the floor at least empty.
Water pipes however are laid through floors.
This make sure that even if it is a floor between 2 levels they are not on the same plane as each other.
IF you were ever to drill the chances of you hitting both water and electricity would be a lot higher if they are bundled together.
So.. NO ELECTRICITY IN FLOORS!
>>
>>1289721
That's kind of contradictory, much of the time ceilings are also floors
>>
>>1289725

Yeah I knew that when I wrote it so here goes: top 50% is floor and the lower 50% is ceiling.
Hope you get it now
>>
>>1289728
Ok thanks
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (199 KB, 1000x800)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
>>
>>1289185
'cause I've got dogholes on the left side and front lip of my bench ;_;
>>
>>1289734

make a thread, theres too much on this subject to just say a or b.
i always used smaller machines with a feed table, because space and money but iam in the market for a new one aswell
>>
how to do marketing and increase brand/company awareness of a new business on a limited budget?
>>
>>1289902
>increase brand/company awareness of a new business
bitch you need to make sales, not "increase brand awareness"
also >>>/biz/
>>
File: 1511578998820.png (756 KB, 626x1112)
756 KB
756 KB PNG
>>1289902
Pic related.
>>
Am I right in thinking PC-ABS FR40 is;
Polycarbonate with ABS and 40% glass fibre reinforcing
>>
>>1290084

Why the fuck would you add mediocre-tier ABS to a composite that's going to fuck up any mould in a couple of casts?
>>
>>1290090
I have no idea, that's just what it says on the part.
>>
I have a 20mm ID steel tube with molten aluminium in it. When it cools the tube shrinks back on the solidified aluminium and its impossible to get it out of the tube. What do i do to prevent this? I want to push the solid aluminium out of the tube.
>>
File: IMAG1079.jpg (2.58 MB, 4000x2240)
2.58 MB
2.58 MB JPG
I have this silly little Altoids tin screwdriver kit that I use a lot at work, but I'm trying to upgrade it a bit. Right now it uses a lot of Wiha double sided bits to save space, and everything is held in place with Kaizen foam. I want to swap them out for normal bits, get a few more sizes and types of bits, a couple of sockets, and a bit holder for an extension. I want to keep all that in this little tin(and maybe find a slightly bigger tin) without it rattling all around though. Right now the best option I can come up with is to put a couple strong magnets on the edges to cut down on movement, and then put some silicone to dampen the noise when it does move. I just wanted to bounce the idea off of you guys to see if you had better ideas(or knew where to buy better tins) before I buy the magnets.
>>
can I put a board through my planer on edge? Like instead of laying flat run it through standing up to plane the edge?
>>
>>1290202

yes you can, just watch those grubby fingers
>>
Is it possible to plate your bike tires with iron or some other metal? There is a jerk in the neighborhood who likes to slash bike tires for absolutely no reason. I don't have anywhere to store my bike and I'm afraid that he'll eventually slash my tires. Can I build some kind of tire armor for them?
>>
What sort of tool in the 150$ range should I ask for as a gift.
I have all the basics
>>
File: qr4.gif (6 KB, 256x144)
6 KB
6 KB GIF
>>1290306
put quick releases on ur wheels so u can easily remove them and bring them inside with you.
>>
>>1290312

this, also the best theft prevention ever
>>
File: 1390279619887.gif (959 KB, 400x225)
959 KB
959 KB GIF
>>1289710
>>1289508
Do they make really long probe leads? I can't reach from one outlet to the next with what I have now. I think they're like 3 foot each.
>>
I have one of these and the fan inside rattles like a motherfucker. Will removing the fan make it catch on fire? No matter how many times I open it up and try to balance and silence the fan it goes back to rattling.
>>
does anyone think there's any issue with running 2 closed loop cpu block/pumps in a system together? I want a bigger radiator for my cpu's, since they each only get a 120mm, but I don't want to spend $500+ on a custom loop
>>
>>1290310
Knipex Cobra or pliers-wrench set.
>>
>>1290367
It might. Risk/reward, not worth it, replace the fan or the unit, or let it rattle.
>>
>>1287060
Jarah
>>
>>1289326
Screw everything together, pry it up at the corners one by one and raise it off the ground with some tiles like you should have done from the start? The floor boards won't be long behind, treated wood isn't suited for this if it has to last a long time.
>>
>>1290188
More thermal mass in the tube so it doesn't heat as much? Or, less thermal mass than the aluminium so you can heat it to push the aluminium out? Or just ceramic and ignore all of those ideas
>>
>>1290542
A ceramic wat?

I was thinking of lining the inside of the tube with ceramic fabric. Not sure if that would work tho.
>>
>>1288600
>Telltale sign of a bounce and not going in flush.
>>
File: 1512337397914.jpg (30 KB, 558x614)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
What do you call a screw on pipe thread cover? Not a cap, leaves the end open, but just covers the threads?
>>
File: .jpg (39 KB, 736x656)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
hi diy. This garage light comes on maybe 5% of the time. If I flick the switch over and over it eventually comes on. If I leave it on and try it later it doesn't seem to help. Lately it's not been working at all. What kind of light is this? I have no idea what it's called. Can I just take the housing off and replace the tubes or will the whole unit need to be replaced?
>>
I need a 3x9 inch epaper display.
I'm having no luck at all - Does such a thing even exist?
>>
File: shopping.jpg (4 KB, 159x159)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>>1290746
need to replace the starter. easy cheap fix. If the tubes are fucked you'll know after you replace the starter but Im betting new starters and you're good to go.
>>
>>1290768
thanks nigger
>>
>>1290631
A nipple?
>>
>>1290776
No, I mean like a cover for the threads on a nipple.
>>
Where do I source parts in various measurements online? I have a project that needs aluminum c-channel, springs, bearings, etc, all in specific small sizes sizes. trying to make a mini spring assisted camera balanced arm system, I have a cad sketch but don't know how to go about getting all the specific parts I need
>>
>>1290838
McMaster Carr.
>>
Anyone have experience with chemical glass etching? I did it with guidance ages ago and I;m looking to experiment a bit now. I have a jar of Armout brand cream from my mom, and some adhesive stencils, but I want to use my own designs. I know there are sheets to cut out your own from, but they are too expensive for me to buy just for fun on my income. What can I use as a stencil that the cream won't eat through? Can I use some old vinyl shower curtain?
This probably warrants its own thread, but I get unreasonably anxious about starting threads myself.
>>
how hard is it to do hard chroming (not decorative) at home without giving myself cancer or death?
>>
would it be dumb to use memory foam for a motorcycle seat? mine is all torn up and needs to be redone but the stock foam gets uncomfortable quickly.
>>
How do I start buying lumber from yards in my area?

I googled a few places but I'm not sure if they're places that will let me buy only like 50 dollars at a time
>>
File: asdasfasf.png (3.32 MB, 1920x2080)
3.32 MB
3.32 MB PNG
So, putting new doors on this garage, and I want to go with a frame with plywood on each side of it. Which frame will be the most sturdy while also being light/cheap?
>>
>>1291683
4 if you do it nice and tight and don't half-ass it, especially attaching the corners and using the X to draw the outside inward and keep it under tension. 2 if you're lazy and just want to toss it together.
>>
How can I stiffen a wood board. I was thinking in buying two pieces of plywood and making a dado in one piece and add a metal strip in there and then glueing the other plywood to hide the metal strip
>>
>>1289524
>sowing
>>
Is there anything useful inside of a junked dehumidifier? Someone is offering some for free on CL. I would think there's some copper in there.
>>
>>1285932
So where do you guys sell stuff you made like tables and what not, for a reasonable price.
>>
What method of joinery will last longer: screws or joinery+glue?
>>
What do you guys think of this jigsaw design? Should I go with the normal generic looking one?
And do you think this will be easier to convert it to one of those jigsaw table if I want to.
>>
>>1292397
Compressor motor
>>
>>1285932
Where do my AZniggers get their lumber from?
>>
Do lumber yards sell plywood?

Legit can't find any A or B grade sheets in a nice blonde veneer without buying 100 sheets wholesale.
>>
File: IMG_7799.jpg (1.93 MB, 3024x4032)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB JPG
Rust. Whats the best way to solve the rust problem on tools. I wood work, and I'm worried about contamination of any food prep surfaces that I make with tools coated with oils.

Paul Sellers uses 3in1 oil for his planes and chisels, but is there a better solution? Especially after sharpening the blade.

The Japanese use some flower oil to coat their knives and tools. Anyone had any experience with this oil?

Camelia Oil, good or not for rust prevention.,
>>
>>1290346
perfect meme
>>
>>1289513
Nigger rigged way to do it is to force it back on with a pair of pliers, opening up the side a bit if you have to, then forcing it closed tight again on the zipper. Couple of zips and it'll straighten itself back out if you have it correctly aligned, but opening the zipper might break it as they use shit quality crystallized metal that breaks easily.
>>
>>1290193
I would either buy a preformed neodymium magnet in a rectangle or square form to put under your bits with a layer of foam in between, magnets like this can be found here: https://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=11 for next to nothing, or I would cut out a new piece of foam with holes cut for your bits then put your kit in something like a ratchet set tin so you have room to add more shit in the future.
>>
>>1292761
Diluted vinegar seemed to work well for my father cleaning up some rusty tools he kept in his truck for the last 3 decades, probably wouldn't work well for the interior parts of things like ratchets but it does the job for things like screwdrivers and hammers.
>>
>>1292788
good info. I heard Vinegar is good for cleaning, but I'm interested in prevention.

I just spend an hour removeing rust from a plane I got on ebay. Works like a charm now. paper thin results.
>>
>>1292866

my dad always taught me that petroleum jelly will keep rust away.
also good for chrome on bikes if you intend to put them in storage for a longer time.
it really is a go to all round product anyone should have in their shed.
>>
>>1292882
It's true. My dick hasn't rusted since before puberty.
>>
>>1292889
Well, maybe you can help me with my rusty boi hole then.
>>
If I were to buy those little tritinum beads off eBay and put them in a ring, would it be detrimental to my health?
>>
>>1293617
Probably not, those tritium things only emit weak x-ray at most and in tiny amounts. If used on a ring the metal under it would make the radiation dose even lower.
There are people who use those beads for necklaces or keychains which they keep in their pockets near their ballsacks. That's probably one of the safest uses.
>>
This one might take the cake for stupid questions general.

I have two dogs and they both love escaping my backyard. I have a 6' fence with a 4' fence inset by 1'. The outer fence is wood, the inner fence is chicken wire. I have a 4' border of chicken wire laid (lain?) on the ground in between the fences and into the yard to keep them from digging.

These little dick heads still get out, and it is driving me crazy, so I want to into an electric fence.

Can I run a bare wire ~1' off the ground above the horizontal chicken wire and apply the live end of 120ac from my house, and put the ground on the horizontal chicken wire without killing the doggos? Would it be enough zap through their fur to make them go "okay yeah lets stay away from that."?

I don't want to kill the doggos, but I do want them to be terrified of even going close to the fence.

Any one have a link to a cheap circut I could make to make it more effective/less deadly?

Pic unrelated
>>
>>1293631
It's not a stupid question at all, grammar trips up a lot of people even native speakers. Lain is to have 'lie' as in if you lie down, laid is to have lay, as in you last something down. So you laid wire is correct.

I assume that is your question because to attempt to apply mains voltage to a bare conductor strung around your garden in an attempt to train a poor innocent doggo with,I presume, absolutely no idea or background of anything electrical or even probably technical at all or even any common sense or even two fixing brain cells to rub together.

This post should not just be a banning offence but I think really you should be arrested and sent to jail where you can pose no danger to anything or anyone.

There are absolutely electric fences used in many places and for many animals, usually too dumb to understand anything else or aggressive to be trusted otherwise, but they are absolutely designed for the animal and enclosure and there are absolutely rules about protecting anything else outside from danger.

I would hope nobody here would be ignorant enough to give you a circuit when clearly you don't have the understanding to apply it correctly.

It would be much more humane to shoot the dog.
>>
File: 1511464761740.gif (1.17 MB, 600x950)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB GIF
I bought a multimeter that has a noncontact voltage detector built in. For shits and giggles I was trying it out.

It goes off on half of my lightswitches and half of my electrical outlets.
Is there a reason that some of my lightswitches will set it off from half a foot away and others won't set it off at all? And it's not just cause it's a gimmicky detector, try it over and over you get same results.

Also a few of my appliances like my toaster and mixer set it off too.

Should i be worried? How can I use my new multimeter to tell if my lightswitch or my outlets are wired right?
>>
>>1293631

I agree with the fellow supporter who already told you an idiot and have nothing to add to that.

What I do have to add is that you need to train your dogs.
I have 3 jack russel terriers that have never been to any puppy course but they can outsmart any dog here in town.
I never hit them even in anger and i never ever needed anything other than my voice and their brains.

Jack Russell's are know for running of when their brain shortcuts *sound*cat*leaf*neighbour* all day long.
You need to however be:

A: faster than them
B: more direct to them

As for point A: I know when they are about to run off and i yell leave it before they do.
If you can not supervise them in order to reach point B you have already lost.
Tie them up on a long long leash if they are unsupervised, only train when you are around to see where it fails.
In time you might trust them to go alone in the backyard.

As for point b:

They need to learn your commands this is a long process.
Iam still in the process of training a new pup.
First thing I teach them is leave it.. let a dog know boundaries.
I can not emphasize this enough.
If you thought your dog to leave anything alone he can resist the urge to leave the fence alone.
Just place a cookie for its nose and tell him to leave it.
If he looks away he gets the cookie.
I'll hook you up with some videos later.
My jack russel bitch had puppys this year and she loves to dig in with them because she likes the mushed food but she sits in front of the bowl untill she hears ok.
I can leave that bowl all day and she'll stay there not touching it.

Now what else you need to teach them not to run away and how you teach them is up to you.
For mine this has worked for you you may need more

However they also need to come back by themselves

My dogs know that if I need to go get them all hell will rain down upon them.
So they will come back if they would chase away the odd cat.

Part 1/2
>>
>>1293666
A VOLTAGE tester should indicate presence of voltage at pretty much any light switch, socket or connected appliance.
A CURRENT sensor should detect presence at an appliance in use, a switch where the light is on, a socket where a device is plugged in and in use or standby.

Failure to detect could be for many reasons, non contact should never be used to test for dead before working for example.
>>
If I need to call them more than once however I will give them a reprimand by grabbing them by the back of the neck.
Never pull just be firm.
This will scare them to a point where they leave everything alone and walk home peacefully.
They get a vocal blasting all the way home but do get a good boy if they are inside the home so they know that is the right spot.

Now watch this video and also watch other videos from this guy to help you get your dog on track
https://youtu.be/hQdg0qOVik0

Oh and please for the love of God don't ever take any advice from Cesar milan shows
>>
>>1293683

I would just also like to add that I live in a rural area, I don't have a fence and i did train them to scare away burglars cats and other animals, they won't bite just bark and chase but they always stop short of my property line.
If you want them to leave animals alone entirely that's up to you
>>
Do brakers just stop working with age?

I just had an entire circuit in my house die when I flipped on a light. The braker wasn't flipped when I checked it. Turned it off and on but i'm still not getting any power to the circuit.

I'll test it in the morning when I have light, but it seemed weird to me.
>>
>>1293681
Its a voltage tester

>>Failure to detect could be for many reasons,

Anything dangerous, aside from the fact the voltage tester is probably junky and not sensitive enough?

Doesnt seem like it would be the safest thing to trust your life to
>>
>>1293666
If you have multiple light switches for the same light one can be completely isolated from the hot wire, see pic related, thus no voltage is detected.
No idea why it doesn't trigger on your outlets, it's peobably just crappy.

Appliances with large metallic surfaces can amplify the capacitive effect, but you shouldn't worry too much.

Screenshot because svg file and too lazy to crop, yet not lazy enough not to give you an explanation on why I'm not cropping the file, which I might've been able to crop already if I had chosen to do so instead of posting this explanation.
>>
>>1293781
Well, after checking the picture I realized I'm an idiot and your multimeter is shit.
>>
Are roman blinds outdated?
>>
Do you guys think if it is possible to laser etch about 1mm thick lead with a cheap chink laser diode?
>>
>>1294268
*engrave
>>
>>1287078
>Taking it apart, it has at least one mechanical switch near the wires, and some contraption with springs on the rotor.
That's the start switch. The mechanical apparatus is a centrifugal operator for the contacts.
When the motor spins up it disconnects the start winding.
>>
>>1287078
>it seems to run for two seconds, click, stop for two seconds, then start again and repeat
If it's wired properly it could have a bad main winding.
The start winding cranks it up but with no power from the main winding it shuts off.
The two second delay is from the hysteresis effect in the weight and spring mechanical operator.
It could also be not having the wiring and jumpers in the correct places on the terminal board.
>>
>>1294029
Yeah about 2000 years out of date, probably time to buy some new blinds
>>
I wanted to get into woodworking but space and fine residues are a problem so i'll just try carving.
Here's what i'm thinking of buying to start: 8/4 and 8/10 gouges, 12/4 v parting tool, mallet and straight blade carving knife.
I intend to start with small stuff on soft wood, no deep cuts, what mallet should i get then? an actual carving mallet seems quite hard to use as a beginner.
And, cracking aside, how much harder is it to carve green wood?
>>
for the love of god, how do I stop my stupid fucking smoke detector from beeping whenever my room gets cold or humid
>>
>>1294446
disable it
>>
>>1294446
for the love of god, how do I stop my stupid fucking smoke detector from beeping whenever my room gets cold or humid without disabling it
>>
>>1294450
destroy it
>>
>>1294446
>>1294450

buy a new one, this one is clearly not working properly anyway and isnt safe.
>>
File: Napoleon.jpg (32 KB, 618x412)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>1294446
>>1294450
use a fucking 12 gauge, what do you think?
>>
Are two 1cm long screws enough to wall mount an 8 socket surge protector? They will be going into plasterboard
>>
>>1294604
I would use longer screws, otherwise they'll get ripped out of the wall when you pull a stubborn plug.
>>
>>1289326
Get that shit out of the dirt u dingus
>>
>>1286412
This. Also, make sure you are getting actual 4x4” lumber, not 3.5x3.5” inch crap they are trying to pass off as 4x4s. Bring a ruler.
>>
>>1289012
>what are posts
>>
>>1289012
In my house the whole house is supported on 4x4s in the crawlspace
>>
I have access to a Physical Vapor Deposition machine, i would like to deposit nickel to a kapton tape (not the adhesive type, just tape without the stickiness), would that work?

Also, after deposition i want to protect the deposited nickel by putting a second tape over it, what can i use to glue them together?

CA glue wont work, it will make the thing brittle.
>>
>>1289734
Go with the Grizzly. The tools are more robust and the designs are better. Rigid is beginner to hobbyist where as the Grizzly is Hobbyist to professional. A 6" jointer can't really joint a 6" board go with an 8" so you don't regret your purchase.
>>
Can the framing material and method of a house change from one floor to another? I wondered if a house could have a solid masonry frame from the first floor and then switch timber for the higher levels without too much difficulty or problems.
>>
>>1294784
>4x4” lumber, not 3.5x3.5”
If it's finished (smooth) on four sides it will be 3.5X3.5
Rough sawn is 4x4
Actual 4"x4" finished on four sides would be a specialty item.
>>
>>1293631
Unlike the other two gentlemen, I'm not ready to give up on you yet. I agree that you will fry your dogs with your scheme, so don't do that. If you want to do something zappy, get a Patriot PE2 Electric Fence Energizer and some wire. I assume that it will come with instructions so please read those carefully.
>>
>>1294604
I agree with the other guy, and frankly, since you're going to be pulling on it, I would use molly (expansion) fasteners, because plaster or drywall won't hold the screw threads.
>>
File: anon bait.png (94 KB, 500x288)
94 KB
94 KB PNG
>>1295304
sucker
>>
File: fgf.png (84 KB, 300x142)
84 KB
84 KB PNG
wtf is this? Seen it put on a table
>>
>>1295701
Did you took that picture with a potato?
>>
>>1295709
its a screen cap desu
>>
File: Sowing-Rice[1].jpg (103 KB, 640x425)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>1289524
>>
File: LITTLEFUCKERS.jpg (90 KB, 640x640)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
Are these things even good for anything?
Whenever I use them they just shatter in a few seconds or when I mount them. They suck a cutting compared to the fiberglass discs and there are always hundreds in any dremel kit. Am I doing something wrong?
>>
>>1295779
>Whenever I use them they just shatter in a few seconds
Maybe try to cut in a straight line
Dint go too deep.
>>
>>1295783
My hands are too fat and these things are so small it is damn impossible to hold them perpendicular
>>
>>1295786
then maybe the question you should ask isnt "Are these things even good for anything?" but instead ask "Are my fat useless hands good for anything thats not a sledgehammer"
youre so fucking useless you ALREADY KNOW why they break on you and you insist that you arent the reason for the mechanical failures
>>
File: box.png (643 KB, 800x450)
643 KB
643 KB PNG
i cut pic related from 1/4" bamboo plywood. not yet sanded or glued.

my question is how to finish it. i dont have a final color in mind. but i dont know if usual wood stain + poly treatment will work for bamboo or if i should use something else (an oil?).

in any event i would like a finish that does not require maintenance and is durable.
>>
>>1295779

You're probably fucking up if they're being destroyed immediately, but, yeah, they don't last anywhere near as long as the fiber discs. Only advantage is that they're cheaper, although, honestly, I've never actually taken notice of exactly how much longer the fiber discs last. They may well actually be less expensive in the long run.
>>
I got a laser printer from work, it's recommended print volume is huge. Much higher than I see myself printing. I go a few weeks at a time without needing to print. And print maybe 120 pages a year. Will anything happen due to my low print volume on such a high volume printer? Will toner go bad like ink gets clogged without constant use?
>>
>>1295838
run a printing service out of your house.
>>
>>1295844
Not exactly want to put all that effort into owning a printer. I'd rather sell it and get a smaller one if need be. It retails for $2049 USD and I picked it up for $20 at work with it just outside of warranty. Will I have issues running a small print volume on a 3000-10000 page per month printer?
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (107 KB, 1000x650)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
I have two halves of a workbench glued up, and they are bowed like pic related (exaggerated for illustrative purposes)

I ordered a jointer but it won't be here for like a week. I have a no. 4 hand plane, a belt sander, an orbit sander, and a circular saw.
Should I wait for the jointer to flatted the faces or just try to wing it with some other tool(s)?
>>
File: 62514.jpg (40 KB, 550x550)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>1295973
You can use your circular saw to make a very straight clean cut. Clamp a piece of very straight material on the each of the halves making sure it is dead straight. You are just creating a fence for the circular saw to reference off of. If you get a new saw blade then it should be no problem.
>>
I have exactly zero experience with CNC mills and I don't know where to start, or if I even need a proper CNC mill or just an engraver.

The several thousand dollar machines are out of my price range. I want it to be accurate, and I know that means cost, but I'm also not ever going to mill anything particularly large.

This would be for PCB milling.
>>
How to make DIY air exchanger with heat recovery and air filtration for a 400 sq ft room? This company Lunos sells a nice setup but it's way too expensive especially since I live in an apartment where it's wasteful to spend a lot of money to improve the place.
>>
>>1295990
google pcb cnc mill
>>
>>1295973
Just depends how much effort you want to put into it. You have the tools to get it real close to perfect. Look up how they hand flatten reference surfaces with carbide scrapers. Basically, take a known flat thing, get some kinda marking stuff on it, and rub it on the surface you're flattening. Wherever you see the markings, abrade it down. Repeat until entire surface is marked.
>>
>>1285936
big boxes have 6x and 8x as well
>>
>>1290813
Nippletape
>>
File: image.png (1.49 MB, 750x1334)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB PNG
What does the black thing do/called(circled)
What tools an I use to figure out specs on the led and resistor
Sorry for black on black background
>>
>>1296113
It's an integrated circuit that uses the voltage from the solar cell to decide whether to charge the battery or have the battery power the LED.
>>
File: 20171214_215729.jpg (2.49 MB, 4160x2340)
2.49 MB
2.49 MB JPG
Sup, I want to make a yoke which can be folded or disassembled for easy storage and transport and I need some ideas to improve the design.
My current design involves 4 piano hinges placed at 1/4 of the distance from the extremes so it can be folded onto itself to reduce it to 1/2 of it's normal size. Latches on the other side prevent the hinges from opening while in use.
A simpler alternative would involve two hinges placed on the bottom and top of the yoke. This option doesn't involves latches, but the yoke would only fold on it's side, which doesn't saves a lot of space.
The yoke will be made from wood and will be around 3.3cm thick (1+1/3 inches)
>inb4 sex toys not allowed
I just want to torture some peasants on the go, I swear on the Pope.
>>
File: IMAG0925.jpg (2.73 MB, 2240x4000)
2.73 MB
2.73 MB JPG
I make kit pens on a lathe, and have this pair of locking pliers to hold them if I need to disassemble them for some reason(usually a crack during assembly and I want to reuse the metal parts). Problem is, the coating gets crushed through. Any ideas on how to mitigate that? It doesn't really affect usage much, that part doesn't grip the pen, but it makes it easier to scratch them up if I'm not careful.
>>
>>1296440
glue a strip of rubber to the inside of the jaws

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.