[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 56 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Meta on /qa/ only.
All meta discussion of boards is to be redirected to /qa/.

>this happens
wat do
>>
>>1288800
Pray you can twist it out.
>>
If you broke it in aluminum you can try dissolving it with alum. Otherwise you can try twisting it out or try to break it up by beating on it. If you have some money, find someone with a ram/wire edm machine to burn it out. Or just scrap it and start over.
>>
>>1288800
do you have a dremel or some way to carve a notch out of it? if so you can just make a small slit and turn it out with a flathead screwdriver. you can also epoxy it back together and be very careful and gentle turning it back out.
>>
>>1288800
Ayy lmao! Cheap chink taps
>>
>>1288817
No sign of lube anywhere. Not even spit.
>>
>>1288811
>Otherwise you can try twisting it out
jam 2 nails in the flutes and see if you can unscrew it

and put some lube you dumbass
>>
File: diy edm.png (1.73 MB, 1053x702)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB PNG
>>1288800
How desperate are you?
You could build an edm machine and errode it away.
>>
>>1288839
Those chink drill bits or taps break even if you use lube.
>>
Drill out with carbide or edm. You can try tapping in a flute with a bunch but that basically never works for me.
>>
looks like a chunk of aluminum that titanium nitride painted sliver of pot metal is snapped off in, that being the case id weld a nut to that iron based cheese slice, cool it, and try to turn it out by hand
>>
>>1288839
Came to post this.

OP, you are a shithead.
>>
>>1288800
Two nails, lubricant, pliers
>>
>>1288904
and by lubricant i mean seize compound.
>>
Watch youtube videos on removing broken taps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwz7BhAWZE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pN-fnUeA3o

Realize you've fucked up your part and spent more time removing the tap than if you had started over. Drink heavily. Call your ex girlfriend. Cry. Pay more for good taps and improve your tapping. Post final product on /diy/
>>
Broken taps are the pinnacle of sheeeeeiiiiit situations in /diy/. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>1288916
broken diy sheepskin condom.
>>
>>1288800
a washer and a welder 5 minutes max
>>
How the fuck you broke it..when you feel it become harder to twist you have to stop..take a drill..take out and redo it with bigger male
>>
>>1288800
>wat do
what to do is the next time use cutting fluid, quality tap, back off regularly and clear out, use a lathe or drill/mill centre to keep tap parallel, measure exactly the drill depth and tap thread taper so you know when it will bottom out and finally #1 tip for small tap sizes do not use a tap wrench use a pin vise and finger and thumbs, no fucking mechanical advantage or stress from bloody great handles and you get a much better feel for whats happening.

as for this one you need to seriously consider starting again or possibly if you can live without the hole or place the hole somewhere else.
i have done this on circular parts where luckily i just rotated and drilled a second set, i have seen certain symmetrical parts flipped and drilled on the back.

if you can get the tap out without damaging the thread beyond use you might as well buy a lottery ticket.
>>
Do those speedout things work? Is it even possible to drill the starter hole with an HSS drill bit?
>>
>>1288800
First try backing it out with a chisel(doesnt work unless it broke breaking the chips) then fuck around with easy outs or other kinds of tap extractors for a few hours until you realise they are fucking useless; then hope you have a milliing machine and just jam a carbide ballnode into the tap and just mill it all out.

Alternativiely you could just beat on the broken tap with the chisel and fuck the threads all up.

Unless you get lucky or own an EDM you're in for a shitty time.
>>
>>1288800
wonder how the hell I managed to break a tap on an aluminum part

drill press? get a drill press vice or buy some clamps that are the right size for clamping shit down
>>
youre fucked op
>>
>>1288849
can i just play some skrillex?
>>
>>1288800
I punch-unscrew them when it happens. Yours is a good one for that since there's a lip sticking out. Slow soft tapiity tap tap with hammer and punch. Once it's unjammed, long-nose pliers unscrew... blow out the chips. redrill to make sure there ain't leftovers chunks of the tap in there and re'tap by hand. If not, old flat carbide endmill, centercutting or 2-flutes and drill the tap with constant air-gun on it as the chunks most not shit your hole when they come loose.
>>
>>1288800
Suck it out with your dick sucking muscles faggot
>>
>>1288816
>epoxy it back together....
my sides
>>
>>1288904
Sure, but after I've finished my highly deviant fap session, how do I fix my diy problem?
>>
>>1289191
OP probably had no clue about tapping and may not have used the correct tap drill.

WD-40 is outstanding cutting/tapping lube for Al and used by most machinists.

OP likely just screwed the tap in instead of making a turn at a time then backing off to break the chip. Of course you can tap faster with a drill press or a mill but that's a much different game.
>>
>>1288800
what kind of fucking retard breaks a tap in aluminum? yes yes chink taps are shit but still it's fucking aluminum
>>
File: 1503647239612.jpg (70 KB, 480x853)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>1289624
>what kind of fucking retard breaks a tap in aluminum?
someone that either has never tapped anything before or has no muscle control feedback
>>
>>1288800
File/grind a point onto the broken stub of the tap and then use it to drive the broken piece out. Slowly but surely, work it back until the tap is loose.

Done this before. It sucks. Maybe next time, you'll break the chips more often.
>>
And this is why you don't scrimp on tools. Particularly not taps
>>
>>1289624
Uh, the galling tendencies of aluminum make it way easier to break a tap than something like steel or cast iron.
>>
just smash it out i do this all the time
>>
File: IMG_1733.jpg (44 KB, 399x385)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>1289611
My sides as I picture OP sucking in a twisting motion
>>
>>1288800
1) You're a fucking retard. Only a mongoloid would use a $9.99 set of Walmart taps with no fucking lube. You deserve every shitty thing that happens to you.
2) You can try what others suggested and jam a nail or screwdriver into the flat and SLOWLY try backing that shit out. Go buy a can of P'Blaster and soak it first.
3) If you can't get it out and can't scrap it then get a good carbide drill bit (NOT FROM WALMART) and drill that bitch out. Literally drill a new hole right on top of that, preferably with a drill press so you don't angle it or round it out. Hopefully you're able to swap up to the next size bolt just in case you nigger this up more.
4) Go get a set of real fucking taps, lube the new hole like a pocket pussy, and re-tap. Slowly. Oh, and FUCKING STOP WHEN YOU BOTTOM OUT.
5) If you un-fuck this remind yourself that you're retarded the next time you wanna do dumb shit like this.
>>
>>1288800
Get a very pointy hard punch and break it out
>>
>>1288816
>epoxy it back together
you are one award winning retard, lad-o
>>
>>1289691
bullshit, maybe if the tap is shitty and dull.

it should have been forcing the chips out the bottom just fine, I bet OP drove the tap into the table under power, or lost grip on it and the radial load broke it
>>
>>1289691
My tapped aluminum holes don't gall because I don't dry fuck them with the tap. WD-40 flood or water based coolant prevents the problem nicely.
>>
>>1289938
Drill out a tap? That's nearly as retarded as the OP's situation. What's next, using a hacksaw blade to cut out a bearing race?
>>
>>1289992
I've done that too.
>>
>>1289953
but that's exactly how I removed my last broken tap. what's retarded about it?
>>
Fill the hole with JB weld
Sand smooth
Act as if it never happened
>>
I have used this before with success, but your mileage may and will vary depending on how well you were tapping (if you were backing off every now and then to break the chips, which you probably weren't since it broke, these have a good chance of working).

https://www.mcmaster.com/#tap-extractors/=1ajlm9m
>>
>>1288800
If that is aluminum like some suggest, dribble in a sodium hydroxide(lye) solution into it. Aluminum will dissolve in acids and bases. I do that with clamps for a chem lab. Damn companies use aluminum thumbscrews because they don't rust and corrode much. The second those fuckers do corrode though they break off like they're made of butter. I gotta add sodium hydroxide to dissolve enough of the threads that they loosen.
>>
>>1290863

You have to use alum
Watch ave's channel.
It will eat the steel but not the aluminum.
Ok problem solved close thread
>>
>>1290965

Also,

>mfw it took 48 replies to get to such a simple solution
>>
>>1290966
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J56XWohs6iw
>>
>>1289624
>what kind of fucking retard breaks a tap in aluminum? yes yes chink taps are shit but still it's fucking aluminum

I've broken several taps in aluminum, rigid machine tapping to make fixture plates. At 32 holes per plate taps wear out fast. I threadmill them now, It's faster and the carbide tool will probably outlast the mill it's in (if I don't crash it.)
>>
>>1288816
>epoxy it back together

Are you legally retarded?
>>
>>1288800

This shouldn't be too hard, you've got good accessibility to the tap and hole.

Start with the easy method first.

See that little bit of the tap that's sticking up? Put a small punch against that and tap it tangentially counterclockwise to unscrew it.

When that little nip breaks off, and it will because murphy's law is a real thing, you can try using a prick or center punch to tap the flutes and back it out.

When that doesn't work, and it won't because Murphy is an asshole, then get a crappy pair of small needle nose pliers and gingerly grind the tips round like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Beadthoven-Rustless-Ferronickel-Platinum-Carbon-Hardened/dp/B01J51FYAA

That type of pliers can slip down into the flutes, and you can use them to back the tap out.

If it still won't come, or if the flutes are too small to get down in, then it's time to get serious. You want to remove the center web of the tap without cutting into the flutes.

One option is to grind out the tap web with a carbide burr and a Dremel. If you do this and you are lucky, you can cut a slot in the web, drop in a flat head screwdriver, and unscrew it. If you aren't lucky, keep grinding all the way down.

Another option, and I wouldn't do this by hand.. use a mill or drill press, is to drill out the web with a carbide drill bit. Note: Not carbide coated, solid carbide.

Another option is to burn the tap out with a tap buster. These are a subclass of EDM (Electro-Discharge Machining) tools that are specifically designed to solve this problem. If this were a carbide tap or you break your carbide bit off in the tap hole, this is what you need.

Once you get the center of the tap out you can pull or prick the flutes out and you're ready to start tapping again.
>>
>>1290863
>sodium hydroxide(lye)

A lye solution will dissolve aluminum, i.e. the PART. He wants to dissolve the TAP, not the part.

Don't use Lye.

Not sure if this post was trolling or just misinformed.
>>
>>1288929
Wouldhire4shop
>>
>>1289191
Wrong sized hole.
>>
>>1291394

That's what she said
>>
>>1290966
Check the second reply, dipshit.
>>
>>1291448

then why has op not gotten it out and why are we still discussing this thread ?
shits and giggles?
>>
>>1291451
Probably a bait thread, he broke a shitty tap on purpose.

(Maybe he broke it by driving it with a cordless drill?)
>>
>>1288800
Drill a hole and thread it with a left thread bit and put a bolt in it, thats what they told me
>>
>>1289938
>get a good carbide drill bit (NOT FROM WALMART) and drill that bitch out. Literally drill a new hole right on top of that
Do you mean physically grind the tap to dust with a drill?
>>
>>1291845
>Do you mean physically grind the tap to dust with a drill?
It's not "gridning to dust", it's drilling. Solid tungsten-carbide drill bits can do that. It's a last resort though and no free-hand drilling should be performed. Either a milling machine (preferred) or a drill press must be used. Broken carbide drill bit is the worst shit that could happen.
>>
>>1291849
>It's not "gridning to dust", it's drilling
But the end result is the remains of the tap being physically shredded into dust?

I'm not trying to be funny here, just genuinely asking if this is what is meant. Surely even a cheap tap is going to be made of very hard metal and will be hard going on the bit?
>>
>>1291850
not dust, drill chips
>>
>>1291850
>>It's not "gridning to dust", it's drilling
>But the end result is the remains of the tap being physically shredded into dust?

A carbide burr can grind it to dust. A carbide drill bit can drill it to shavings. The net result is the same, you drill out the web of the tap so you can pick out the flutes.
>>
>>1291457
>(Maybe he broke it by driving it with a cordless drill?)
are you a baby i do this every day
>>
>>1288915
>Cry
I came here to post this...
>>
>>1289616
>>1289953
>>1291169

It's not the worst idea. Worth a try. Could cut a notch in it and epoxy a cheap screw driver and twist it out.
>>
>>1288800
>wat do
Use tapping oil next time
>>
>>1288800
its now an underwater mini golf course for seahorses
>>
File: bait.png (64 KB, 624x628)
64 KB
64 KB PNG
>>1291885
>It's not the worst idea. Worth a try. Could cut a notch in it and epoxy a cheap screw driver and twist it out.

what does the epoxy do to improve the torque applied by a screwdriver in a notch?

its more likely that the epoxy makes a mess and now you have to chip it out of the way to get to the tap

'epoxy a screwdriver to it' people say this shit, is there anyone that has done it
>>
>>1289623
>WD-40 is outstanding cutting/tapping lube for Al and used by most machinists.
It's more like it's cheap and available. I wouldn't say it's outstanding.

>OP likely just screwed the tap in instead of making a turn at a time then backing off to break the chip. Of course you can tap faster with a drill press or a mill but that's a much different game.

I Always wondered why that works like a charm. I plow through steel powertapping (even acccidently so fast once i could barely reach the stop button in time) with the same taps i use for hand tapping and never broke one (up to this point). I like the feeling or maybe just the sound of breaking the chip (weird i know) but i guess it's not really as necessary as people always say. Maybe it's needed because hand tapping isn't as straight so the chipload has too much difference from side to side. Btw i mostly use normal straight fluted taps.
>>
>>1289992
Both possible but most probably the drill bit would be worth more than the part and the time.
>>
>>1289624
Looks like 304 stainless to me.
made me reply / 10
>>
File: Untitled.png (6 KB, 306x306)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
drill a few small holes so that you can use a screwdriver (just two next and a small screw driver should do)

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.