[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 42 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Meta on /qa/ only.
All meta discussion of boards is to be redirected to /qa/.

File: IMG_6845.jpg (65 KB, 361x287)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
What is something you can buy under $50 that would improve your life dramatically?

>Protip: Buy a curved shower curtain rod. They look nice and you'll have more room in the shower for the rest of your life
>>
>>1291748
Love curved shower rods and definitely worth the investment. I would add a good pocket knife or multi tool is one of the best little investments you can buy.
>>
>>1291748
I'd go with knife sharpening kit of some sort and learning how to use them.

>Wow, now my knives once more serve their purpose, and will last me decades!
>>
Not really useful for people here, but a cheap toolkit when you don't have any tools.

I'm in my early twenties and whenever a friend of mine moves into their own place I'll buy them a cheap set of tools as a housewarming gift.

So far almost everyone has told me later how useful it ended up being.
>>
>>1291768
What tools exactly?
>>
>>1292122
it's a kit....
I assume the basics.
>>
>>1292122
I'm guessing hammer, pliers, screwdriver or three, and possibly a tape measure.
>>
A good pillow.
>>
A firearm. It will not only improve your life, but could potentially save your life.
>>
File: hl is.jpg (146 KB, 1183x1500)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
These fucking things. Howard Leight Impact Sport.

They're among the cheapest electronic ear protection for how well they work. Way more convenient than ear plugs, and you can still hear normally unlike with regular cans. I've found myself using them when working with louder shop equipment in situations where I'd normally just rationalize away hassling with ear plugs because "lol short exposure."

Also the noise amplification on maximum is almost scary. I spent like two hours wandering around my land in the country at night when I first got them, listening to EVERYTHING. I could clearly hear individual leaves falling out of a tree from fifty feet away.
>>
>>1292145
>$50
Not even a HiPoint is that cheap
>>
>>1291748

a big buttplug, even if you dont like it i am sure it will change your life drastically
>>
>>1292147
Huh. I got some MSA Sordins and I never thought about trying that.
I'm in my room right now and I can hear the birds tweet outside
>>
>>1292154
There was a .410 break action shotgun that needed only a little work done to it for $30 at my local gun shop. If you cruise Armslist, pawn shops, smaller guns stores, and so on, and keep an ear open, you can find deals like that.

And Cabelas had a 9mm Hi-Point handgun for $87 over Black Friday, which is pretty close to $50.
>>
>>1292157
Never had a problem with large/tough shits after this.

$50 of cooking supplies
-$20 slow-cooker
-$1x5 various knives
-$1x5 5 of your favorite seasonings (You can't go wrong with black pepper and salt.)
-$20 ingredients off a random internet recipe

It's not as true on this board, but a lot of you fags don't cook for yourselves. It's auctually a lot harder to be bad at than you would think. And if you play your cards right you can save tons of that cheddar.

Also, your local Chinese shit mart probably has $14 camping stoves and butane for $3.99. I've seen these everywhere and each of those cans last long enough for you to make quite a bit of food.
>>
>>1291748
A 2 feet long stainless steel grab bar installed near the toilet to grab hold when things get intense. Basically, you reach over and pull yourself forward just a little bit and bend your body down to your knees at the same time. This is to tighten all the right muscles and loosen others. It simulates squatting while on the toilet. It makes life worth living I tell you.
>>
>>1292216
Wait, you don't squat over the toilet normally? Why would you pinch your sphincter?

>inb4 pooinloo accusations, i'm white
>actual netherlands and germanic blue eyes white even
>>
File: compass.jpg (88 KB, 1000x1000)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>Memory foam mattress topper
>custom fit earplugs
>multitool
>high quality boot soles
>Kindle if you read
>trifold bathroom mirror so you can adjust the angles and see your head from 360 degrees (not $50)
>string of bolt and nut sizers
>electric cigarette roller (if you smoke it's like $0.02/cigarette)
>DGC PRODUCTS i-Socket Autoswitch. It's fucking magic (https://www.amazon.com/DGC-PRODUCTS-IS110M-i-Socket-Autoswitch/dp/B005ELWUWG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512537167&sr=8-1&keywords=isocket+autoswitch)
>1GB/s internet speed
>under-desk cooling fan to prevent swampass on balmy gaming nights
>combo square
>AC/DC converter
>Biometric bodyfat % sensor
>clip on cyclable phone camera lens
>lubricated condoms
>Dress sock/pant leg hold-downs
>Dress shirt garters
>high powered green laser pointer
>a used sewing machine
>a fake rolex in a style that matches how you dress that you only wear to nightclubs and on dates
>one of these https://www.amazon.com/Boot-Cleaner-Scraper-Commercial-Hardware/dp/B013UOUV24/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1512626936&sr=8-3&keywords=boot+cleaner
>a shitload of pipe clamps
>bug-a-salt (best purchase of my entire life)
>a really really really fucking loud airhorn to put under your car's hood for emergencies and fucking with fake panhandlers
>motion sensor/chime mounted above your doorbell
>automatic dog feeder/waterer
>Drone with a camera
>VPN subscription that can be used on your router
>dashboard cop detector
>dash cam
>bluetooth rear view cam
>IP camera for your front door
>a pellet gun for gofers and coyotes if you live in a rural area
>LED tape lights to mount around the edge underneath your bathroom mirror
>a retainer fee for a lawyer to automatically have attorney-client privelege if you get arrested so cops can't use anything you say against you
>subscription to a background check service
>an computer-case mounted electromagnet hooked to FOSS activation software
>a deep freezer (not $50)
>vacuum sealer
>indoor carpet accessory kit for shop vac
>>
>>1292242
>>an computer-case mounted electromagnet hooked to FOSS activation software

What's that supposed to do?
>>
>>1292251
Fry drives when feds show up
>>
>>1292242
>>a pellet gun for gofers and coyotes if you live in a rural area
pretty sure the pellet gun doesn't exist that would take down a 'yote unless, MAYBE, you were shooting point-blank into the brain
>>
>>1292265
I'm talking to scare them away from the chicken coop/garden. If you're very rural and coyotes are a big problem obviously .223 is the correct choice
>>
Purchased a metal kitty litter scoop for my wood stove. Allows me to separate ashes from charcoals and pick out any nails/staples that got passed me the first time. Simply scoop up some ashe/charcoal mixture, bang it gently on the inside of the stove to make the ash fall through the slits, put charcoals elsewhere. When done sifting, use the scoop to move the ashes to your bucket and then dump the charcoals in front of the air inlet. Put your wood inside and enjoy your fire. If you do it right, no kindling needed.

Best 10 dollars spent on it.
>>
>>1292147
Atwoods has a $20 sale on some like these
>>
File: 20161130_052618.jpg (151 KB, 448x499)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
>>1292154
>mfw shell out ectra for high point.
>mfw home invasion
>mfw "click"
>mfw gun jams
>mfw stabbed to death by a pocket knife in my own home.
>>
>>1292242
>a really really really fucking loud airhorn to put under your car's hood for emergencies and fucking with fake panhandlers.

2nd this. Diy train horn is $15.

Working my ass off to find a ship horn guide. YouTube homemade ship horn.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK
>>
>>1291748
A few spools of regular PLA. It will change youre life forever
>>
>>1292452
As ugly and clunky as they are, Hi-Points are quite reliable. It dosent get any simpler than blow back cycling.
>>
>>1292457
*doesn't
>>
>>1292170
>Hi-Point handgun for $87
>>1292452
gtfo noguns, hi points are perfectly servicible, just ugly and heavy as sin.
>>
I bought a wallet for myself for the first time this year. I always got them as gifts and never liked the accessibility options.

Buy your own, quality wallet.
>>
>>1292219
That isn't what was stated.
>>
>>1291748
Cyanide
>>
>>1291748
a toy model shipping container to make plans for your future shipping container based businesses and properties
>>
a solid state drive for your computer. you can get 100-120 gig ones for just over 50 buckeroos
>>
>>1292242
I see your LED Strips and raise with LED Strips that play animations in sync with music (arduino for <$50 But for over 50, you can get a controller unit already programmed)
>>
>>1292265
You would be wrong.
https://www.crosman.com/connect/benjamin-airguns-introduces-the-bulldog-357-trophy-game-hunting-air-rifle/?hvid=2qkmB5
>>
>>1292265
There are a lot. I know because i'm not allowed to buy any of them...

inb4 USA USA even .22 is not enough to kill a thing. Yeah it is at least up to a few 100 meters.
>>
>>1292556
I've been waiting nearly two years for the 480 to 500 gig ones to drop below 130.....
Must be lots of demand for them.
>>
>>1292771
>at least up to a few 100 meters

22lr is only effective up to 150 meters in decent hands, and isn't very practical at that range.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (95 KB, 1280x720)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
The small Knipex Cobra is one of the greatest things I've ever bought
>>
I'd say buy yourself a decent prostitute with that cash. Not just any though, try to find one you can talk to and actually enjoy the company of. Hire her from her corner and try to save some cash for maybe a nice cup of coffee for her and yourself. Try to talk to her about life and future plans and general things. Once you've done this, whether or not you have sex with her, you will feel entirely fulfilled.
>>
>>1292154
I got half my gunz less than $50
they get the job done
the cheapest one was a bolt action 22 $25
>>
File: 9479464.jpg (19 KB, 550x140)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
this
>>
>>1292170
>>1292459
>https://gun.deals/product/hi-point-9mm-86-86
$86 actually, my bad.
>>
>>1293054
I'd considered buying a few of them to cache but decided if I was going to cache guns I'd want to do it for guns that didn't have my name attached to them.
>>
>>1293054
sold out :(
>>
>>1291748
$50 in 18650s bms and charger. Make 2 or 3 lithium packs for 4$ yardsale cordless. I bet i hace half a pickup load of mixmax nickle shit with gutted and moded chargers and lithium packs
>>
>>1292457
Oh yeah not for home defense but my 9mm carbine was dirt cheap and its fun as fuck
>>
>>1292459
>noguns

Topest of keks. I have 25 .223 ARs and a a fireproof room turned gun safe that i made hid in the middle of my house behind a fucking MASSIVE old cast iron piano. I was a big fan of spy movies and put it to good use. Dropped that piece of shit piano twice trying to get it to open without touching the floor. Having it an inch off the wasnt noticable but i wanted it perfect. It sits on the floor. Lifts 2.5 inches. Then slides straight out. Doubles as a safe room. Probably kill you ina hurricane tho. I just plywooded the wals and mixed plaster and sand in the attic for 2 very long weeks.

>noguns

No room for cheap unreliable shit besides my carbine. I love that thing.
>>
>>1292460
I got the long bilfold from walmart with the gay 12 guage sheel brass on it. Fuck i will necer go back to a shit little one again
>>
>>1292878
Knioex WINRAR
>>
>>1293079
At that price of course it is, it sold out within a day or 2

Keep an eye on gun.deals and you'll find similarly cheap guns, and if you know what brands are junk you can get a decent one
>>
>>1293086
>25 .223 ARs
for what purpose
>>
>>1292242
>>dashboard cop detector

Can you explain more on this? I have a radar detector but have found it is becoming less effective as more cops are switching to LIDAR. Really curious about the dashboard cop detector
>>
>>1291762
+1 for knife sharpener. It's a cheap investment and you'd be surprised what a difference it makes when cooking
>>
>>1292122
>>1292137
>>1292141
Also usually includes a small level for hanging pictures and an adjustable spanner/crescent wrench
>>
>Electric kettle. 15-30$ Saves so much time, no wondering if you forgot to turn the stove off, good for: teas, instant noodles, etc.

>Architect lamp with usb and outlet. BB&B for about 40$. I can charge my phone and keep any other item plugged in right next to me (such as a charger for a console controller)

>Hangers with clips. 6$ for a 4 pack. I hang bottoms so I have more space for chunckier things in dressers like sweaters. Also hanging belts with hangers

>Over the door hooks. Also hang belts, robes, scarves, etc. on these. De-clutter your shit.

>Other itt items: the curved shower bar (more space, fancier), the under-mirror lighting. Protip: Buy stick on-battery powered lights and plaxe them under your kitchen cabinets. Rice cooker. Steam everything.
>>
condoms
>>
>>1291748
>What is something you can buy under $50 that would improve your life dramatically

A bag of cocaine.

You never said how long that "dramatic life improvement" had to be. I think I'd get 6 to 8 hours of dramatically improved life.
>>
-LED table lamp
-daylight alarm clock with radio (i have mine set on the worst radio station i know of, so im always in a hurry to shut it off)
-good LED strip
-dash cam
-high quality thermos
-water bottle
-tent
-reflective tape for your bicicle and good lights for it (#yolo)
-if you renovate your home, spend more money on paint

(-button caps for controllers
https://www.gearbest.com/video-game/pp_175377.html) <-its far cheaper than 50 bucks
>>
>>1291748
LED lights in your cupboards/pantry so you can see in there properly. I know I know, it sounds stupid, but the wife wanted them and I thought "What a waste of time" but they are pretty fucking awesome desu.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.