[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: s.jpg (3.04 MB, 3072x2304)
3.04 MB
3.04 MB JPG
I have some questions with my in-floor heating system. It is an older system and my thermostats tell me the air temperature and the temperature in the concrete slab. (e.g. thermostat set to 70F, air temp 68F, concrete temp 80F).

>Is this thermostat a simple on/off switch like every other thermostat?
>I am guessing that there is a maximum temperature that the system will heat the concrete to?
>Does this system have a little bit of a mind? That is, will it adjust the concrete temperature based on the differential between the air temp and the thermostat setting?

The reason I am asking is because due to my climate and all of my windows, my house gets chilly. I want to turn the furnace on just to remove the chill, but I don't want to "confuse" the in-floor heat thermostat when the air begins to warm up.
>>
>>1292379
Do you have two thermostats and two temp sensors or do you have two temp sensors and one stat?
The systems I have put in only have one thermostat. The slab temp reading my just be for your gee whiz info purposes.
Can you actually set both temps?

Usually radiant is terrible for people who want to play with the thermostat all day. It takes a ton of energy to get the slab warm once it cools off.
Best to set it and forget it. You will never get that quick take the chill off heat like you would with a furnace.
>>
>>1292412
>Do you have two thermostats and two temp sensors or do you have two temp sensors and one stat?
There is only 1 thermostat for each zone of the radiant heat

>The slab temp reading my just be for your gee whiz
That is what I was leaning towards

>can you actually set both temps
No, but the master bedroom (zone 1) concrete temp is always higher than the living room (zone 2) concrete temp. This leads me to believe that it is either an internal setting in the furnace, or more likely the bedroom sensor is closer to a heating tube.

>Best to set it and forget it.
That is what I am doing with the radiant heat. I am planning on using the furnace to remove the chill on those -20F morning. I just wanted to make sure the thermostats are just stupid (simple) on/off switches.
>>
I have about 600sqft of the wire mats just sitting in my garage. Is it actually worth installing? Seems expensive to run.
>>
>>1292412
>>1292417

There is a completely separate thermostat for the furnace.
>>
>>1292418
My electric boiler and hot water heater run from the off-peak electric. I pay 3.5 or 4 cents per kWh with no additional taxes or service charges. So the cost is not pad for me.
>>
File: received_1427497050607304.png (1.14 MB, 1152x2048)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB PNG
>>1292418
Not too bad. Worth its weight in gold.

>mfw do all mechanic work rolling around in grass in my side yard.

>mfy some people have headed shop, floor, lift and tools.
>>
>>1292456
maybe you should have made better life choices when you were younger
>>
>>1292456
Any bank will give you a loan for a shop
>>
>>1292379
Yes the thermostat is a simple on/off. It turns on/off to maintain either the room temp or the slab temp, depending on how you have it setup.

There is a max temp you can get the slab to and that is set at the boiler, not the thermostat. In floor heating isnt meant to be the sole source of heat. Just run your furnace
>>
>>1292487
>In floor heating isnt meant to be the sole source of heat.
Sez who? Works great for that here.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.