[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Geck.jpg (195 KB, 960x720)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
trying to build a Garden of Eden Creation Kit for when the world goes to shit
was hoping you guys could help me start identifying pieces
>>
>>1306531
I think ive got the top half pretty much under control its the bottom i cant quite figure out
>>
>>>/pol/
>>
>>1306537
in what universe is this post politically motivated
>>
>>1306547
It's just le /pol/ meme - it happens everywhere for no reason. Ignore and carry on.
>>
The bottom right, that's a keypad from an old telephone.
>>
>>1306555
I think theres a slot for a floppy disk above that
>>
>>1306531
Those 6 narrow rectangles, front and center, seem to be circuit breakers. The white square at the bottom-center of the lid is a system fan. The peachy-orange colored piece located to the bottom-right of the big circle looks like some kind of filter. Looks like two control knobs under that.

Hard to make out the rest. Do you have a hi-res image we could analyse? Or did you mean you want to make a real-life working GECK? because that won't look anything like your pic.
>>
>>1306531
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Garden_of_Eden_Creation_Kit

Nice try. Go fuck yourself, OP.
>>
File: nothighrez.jpg (25 KB, 362x319)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>1306562
Ill look for more pictures the people on bethesda slacked on their version so i can only use pictures from the 90s
>>
>>1306562
And it could be a real-life working GECK that also looks like that...
Dont crush my dreams
>>
>>1306531
Yes you're trying to make a device that will terraform and restore all life on earth as depicted on the video game fallout....

Sure we are diy we can do anything.
>>
>>1306568
>Dont crush my dreams
Bethesda did that, not me. I'm just the messenger.

As for your new image >>1306566
, I bet you could make a prop with limited functionality.
>>
>>1306591
less realistic ideas have been had
Look at that thing, you can tell it was built to last.
and look at all the stuff going on there, who ever designed it knew a thing or two.

But really though I think in the jumble of mess at the start you could create dehumidifier and cooler to help keep the seeds inside safe until the geck is open.
off the same system you could run something to distill water and pump it maybe automatically mix in ferts... recycle human waste....
>>
File: GECK.png (144 KB, 458x638)
144 KB
144 KB PNG
>>1306605
>less realistic ideas have been had
See pic
>look at that thing
The game art
>you can tell it was built to last
You ever play fallout?
>>
>>1306614
Oh yea
I realize my unironically ironic shit postings is might be putting up red flags to people but im not completely kidding...
I obviously understand I dont have an unlimited power source but the power is kind of second to all the other hardware at the this point
>>
>>1306624
If this thing had to be hooked up to water, pumping water to crops, could you charge its battery by running water through it
>>
>>1306605
>recycle human waste
Human waste is not approved as fertilizer for plants intended to be for human consumption.
You will catch diseases.
>>
>>1306681
oh no... Theres no way it can be sterilized?
>>
>>1306684
>the power is kind of second to all other hardware at the this point.
>>
>>1306605
>>1306681
>>1306684
>>1306691
recycling human waste in a way that will allow you to harvest crops from it is a bit ambitious for an EOTWAWKI survival kit. I'd wager those pipes, guages, and knobs would be part of a filter/dehumidifier/humidity-harvester
>>
>>1306684
If it sits for a year.
>>
>>1306531
OP I'm not sure if you are seriously considering a real version of a prop. I'll frame this as though you want a real one.

First off the Fallout games are not consistent with regards to how the GECK works. One version like in 3 seems to instantly turn wasteland into tropical farm land, like a trek Genesis device. The early GECK like vault city seemed to just be a big suitcase with information, power, seeds, and a water filtration device. The later is very feasible.
>>
>>1306805

Feasible:
>2 ereaders (such as kindle), loaded with useful books/information
>lithium battery pack, diy powerwall style
>solar panel
You could also just integrate a eInk display in the case, but it would be hard to read vs the kindles

Partially feasible:
>seed bank (vacuum packed), but it would require multiple harvests to get enough seeds for a larger area
>water (small amounts sure, but filtering a large amount of contaminated water seems impossible)
>soil preparation/clean up (again small amounts sure, but how do you do large areas)

Unrealistic:
>one small case just can't do what the GECK has shown to be capable due to the size problem
>fusion power, seed cloning, and other far out stuff would help, but the fertilizer and water/soil clean up is a major issue
>>
File: 1466684441863.png (175 KB, 400x386)
175 KB
175 KB PNG
>>1306531
>seed storage
You could create some sort of liquid nitrogen cooling system that is pressurised to hell. That should last a while.

I have no idea how long it will last. Certinly wont be safe.

>pc
Maybe get a raspberrypi 3 and a couple of tb HDD with a small lcd. And custom keyboard for accsesing the os of your choosing.
>>
>>1306980
>You could create some sort of liquid nitrogen cooling system that is pressurised to hell. That should last a while.

Dude you can vacuum pack seeds. No need for liquid nitrogen...lol
>>
>>1306603
>nuclear power supply right next to your medical samples
>>
>>1307317
You underestimate the corporate stupidity that is Vault-Tech.
>>
>>1307341
>nuclear power supply right next to your maternity ward
>>
>>1306980
>Maybe get a raspberrypi 3 and a couple of tb HDD with a small lcd.
fine electronics get fried by EMPs, like those generated by a nuclear explosion
you'd have to seal it in a faraday cage, and a good one at that, if you want to use them after SHTF
>>
>>1307111
Guess your right. I was just thinking about the svalbard global seed vault. Its cold... But yeah vaccum packs should work fine.

>pressurised nitrogen is much cooler tho
>what if op wants to store chad dna (eugenics edition)

>>1307360
The suitcase will function as a farady cage. Or atleast op can design it that way.
>>
>>1307346
What?
>>
>>1306681

You are kidding right? Its ok if its only your own shit since you are not going to catch anything
>>
Itt: idiots try to argue about building something mythical off the pictures of the device from a video game.
>>
>>1307768
being cold doesn't really matter, what's important about svalbard is that it's next to impossible for anything bad to happen there.
>>
A working geck is pretty unrealistic but makes me think of other survival in a suitcase type prep devices you could make which might be cool.

Food and water suitcase with a month of rations, large water filters, vacuume packed seeds and wildlife traps
Power kit with solar panels, batteries, power converter, dc motor you can use with a small hydro dam or pedal power, and all the various power cords you might need
A media kit that will digitally convert and play any sort of recorded media (all the various tape decks, turn tables, laser disk drives will be a pretty big space demand to fit into a suitcase, maybe one of those old traveling trunks)
>>
>>1308575
>A working geck is pretty unrealistic but makes me think of other survival in a suitcase type prep devices you could make which might be cool.
That's exactly how I went into this thread

A more high tech bugout bag
>>
>>1306547
It's the new boogeyman meme, whenever you see something you don't like or don't agree with, you just post "get back to le /pol/ u turboracist" and move on.
>>
Why would anyone build this for serious survival purposes?
>>
>>1311280
You can't. It's a mythical machine.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.