[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Laminate flooring it kitchen/entryway.

My mother wants new flooring in her kitchen, doesn't want linoleum mat.

I think laminate will make her Happy, but do not see much of it in a faux stone or in kitchens off a Google search. Is there a reason to not put laminate flooring in there? I installed woodgrain laminate in rest of house 10 years ago and she loves it.
Also what is with this new laminate that has pad already on it. Is it any good?
>>
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=laminate+flooring+in+kitchen
>but do not see much of it in a faux stone or in kitchens off a Google search
www.google.com/search?q=laminate+flooring+in+kitchen&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X
>>
>>1307707
Holy shit!
You found a website that answered all of the questions that I had when I went to Google and didn't really address anything I asked here.

Good luck being a nigger.
>>
>>1307716
>Good luck being a nigger.

good luck with your thread.
>>
>>1307716
you find the answer on google you fucking retard, it lists pros and cons, obviously the cons are the reasons why not to use it you retard
>>
>>1307686
laminate is not recommended for areas with high humidity or high possibility of water intrusion.

Dishwasher leaks? Ruined.
Sink leaks? Ruined.
Spill little bits of water in front of the sink every day? Ruined.
People walk in the front door with wet shoes every day? Ruined.

Just tile the damn kitchen, man.
>>
>>1307686
nonono. as soon as you spill on it a few times the sawdust particles expand and its wrecked forever.
>>
>>1307686
Do Not Put LAMINATE

you will regret it my shit didn't last 5 years edges bubbled up from spills top laminate is paper thin got scratches from slide chairs around ill be replacing it this summer with vinyl plank flooring
>>
>>1307686
Bad move all around. If you can't do tile, use a PVC, HDPC, or vinyl plank material. Clicks together like laminate, cuts like wood, eazy-peazy bro. The last composite I put down looks just like natural wood.
>>
>>1307758
Not so much anymore
>>
>>1307686
My parents put floating laminate over their existing tile in the kitchen, because it was by far the cheapest option. Had it for 3 years, has done fine. Then again, my mother isn't a retard which lets water stand and the people who visit don't track mud into the house.

Since you're putting it in yourself, it's just so fucking cheap ... even if it gets fucked, meh.
>>
>>1308101
You can get chink quality shit of everything.

If you get vinyl chinks made by throwing together a mystery batch of industrial waste it won't be good either.
>>
>>1307686
id get vinyl planks
>>
Tile is the only correct answer. Laminate will be a disaster. Like the guy above said, any water and your fucked. Plus, the heat from things like the oven can warp the floor if there's a big temperature differential somewhere in the room (i.e. adjacent to outside wall or door). We redid our kitchen in tile and used Schluter Ditra XL.
>Waterproof: check
>Best crack isolation: check
>Can cut to fit with scrissors anywhere: check
>No bullshit scoring cement board and fastening it to floor joists: check
>>
>>1309980
>>No bullshit scoring cement board and fastening it to floor joists: check

I'm pretty sure you want to avoid screwing it into the joists.
>>
>>1310021
Nope, it definitely gets screwed into the floor joists.
>>
make sure you fill any gaps or cracks in the underlayment

you need to completely glue down the laminate flooring
get an all purpose glue and follow directions with a thing coat, let it set up a bit and carefully roll the vinyl out

then caulk the edges especially around areas that are likely to get wet

then you can put trim on top of the edges

make sure you dont let the temperature
change very much until the glue is hardened or it will bubble badly
>>
>>1307686
I got some laminate in the kitchen. Gets wet every now and then. Its been good for over a year.
>>
Bought a house with laminate in the kitchen and bathroom and its wavy as fuck. Cant wait to replace it with tile

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.