[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 027418102898.jpg (96 KB, 900x900)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
Has anybody ever used a garage heater in the house? My furnace broke down and I'm looking for a way to keep my kitchen / living room heated up. I have an empty 220v plug so I can hook it up. Is there anything I should be aware of before I actually try it out?
>>
>>1307692

If it's electric it should be ok. Just take extreme precautions that nothing can accidentally get too close to it. Pets and children can do weird things.

If it's kerosene or whatever it's not a great idea.
>>
>>1307692
it's a heater. just the usual heater restrictions and precautions apply.
>>
>>1307694
>>1307698
can I run it on the floor or should I get it off the ground? my kitchen is tiled so I'm kind of worried if it will leave burn marks or remove the glue holding the tiles.
>>
>>1307704
ffs, the heater shouldn't get hot because it cools itself by blowing the air
do you also need a manual on how to breath?
>>
>>1307704
Should be fine on tile, just tilt it slightly upward so it isn't blowing straight at them.

Linoleum is a different story.

Keep in mind it doesn't have a tip sensor like most domestic blower heaters so it won't turn off if it gets knocked over.
>>
>>1307698

thanks but I already knew that.

the Mr meem could be fun.

just remember to tell Mr T that he's awesome!
>>
File: wat.jpg (2 KB, 97x79)
2 KB
2 KB JPG
Three out of four housefires are caused by overprotected children. [citation needed]
>>
>>1307692
Quit being a cheap fuck and get your furnace fixed.
>>
>>1307692
Is that particular heater sexy af? Thinking bout getting the 5000w version
>>
heating air is inefficient.

electric blankets for the beds and couch. a Kotatsu if you want a warm table to sit at for meals, etc. put on more damn clothes and some slippers. dry off in the shower. where the residual heat from the water and steam should keep you warm enough until dry.
>>
>>1307692
Just don't plug it into an extension cord or a power strip.
For the first couple of hours you're running it, feel the cord, the plug, and the outlet to make sure they're not getting hot.
Space heaters cause fires because they have a very high current draw that lasts a long time. if you have any loose high-resistance connections in the plug and outlet, they'll have plenty of time heat up and get hot enough to melt shit.
so don't leave it unattended until you're sure your outlet is in good order.
>>
>>1307692
let's instead help OP fix his furnace. I've fixed mine a bunch of times because cheapskate.

what are the symptoms?
>>
Redundant backups are beautiful things. I'd use a garage heater but prefer LP heaters so I'm covered in a power loss situation. They aren't a safety issue if you aren't stupid.

>>1307773
is wise.
>>
>>1307692
Yes, while building an extension on the home and once when the furnace had to be replaced. Don't sit it on anything flammable.
I used four pieces of ceramic floor tile (12") to make a little base for it. Keep anything flammable more than 3ft away from the front.
Also don't run them when you aren't watching them. i.e. when you are asleep. Cold sucks, but not as much as burn recovery.

>>1308083
This.
>>
>>1307692
you need thick wire to run high consumption appliances like that, same reason trying to run an air compressor on your house wiring will just blow a fuse

don't plug a lot of appliances into the same outlet, you might fuck up the wiring to your house

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.