[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 151 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: google.com-1.jpg (44 KB, 255x176)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
Itt post your jobs,careers,salary,age. What does /diy/ do for a living? Are you happy with your choice?
>>
>>1310379

I work for the CIA. 28. I make about $700,000 a year plus "bennies" supplying allied warlords with rape babies. Pretty fulfilling and all my meals get comped.
>>
21, welder. It aint too bad, wish i got to fucking do something other than aluminum once in a while though lmao
>>
Computer Engineer.
100k/year designing fancy LED lightbulbs for Panasonic.
I got the job because they were impressed with my diy LED projects.

It gets a bit boring sometimes. I'd rather be doing something more creative like big interactive LED art installations. I'll get there someday.
>>
>>1310388
I also work for the CIA we should get together sometime although I don't think you have the same security clearance as me.
Developing AI as a researcher that can detect which people may be a threat to national security, after this we have a hit team that is dispatched and murders them with no witnesses, usually blaming the black folk.
450k/year
>>
>>1310445
>>1310388
>>>/g/
I probably should leave too
>>1310405
I like that your hobby was valued by tour employer
Do you have a link? Or are you ChiKen?
>>
EE in mining
130k/y
Fun work but I am Jack's wasted life.
>>
>>1310512
>>1310405
Do you guys have a master's or just a bachelor's?
>>
>>1310514
Doesn't matter, just need an engineering license.
>>
>>1310379
BSEE & optics minor. I've had several careers (entertainment, public speaker/consultant, property manager) but currently running a small software consultancy.

Age is almost 50.

Total income is somewhere north of $175K (salary & a couple rentals) but that depends on profitability. I've had years when I was well under that.

No wife, no kids, but the occasional girlfriend.

There are some things that I'd change if I was really wealthy, but overall, zero complaints. Life is good.
>>
>>1310514
>>1310517
https://www.nspe.org/resources/licensure/what-pe
>>
Eurofag here

System administrator
€30k/year (plus taxes)

Your salary seem so high, how much is a house? A rent? Your weekly food budget? In your area
>>
>>1310379
Walmart, small work history in 2 years

Sales associate in lawn and garden $9.00hr to $10.00hr. Did this for about a year.
Department Manager of Toys $12.00hr. Did this for about 6 months. Pay is crap compared to other department managers.
Cap Team Supervisor $15.00hr. Fuck this job, not worth the stress.
Back in November I decided that I'm going to quit in January on the 30th. Move back home to start my own business.

Now work as a sales associate in electronics making $13.50hr

Hate this city that I live in right now. Every customer thinks they are entitled to everything and 90% are stupid as fuck. Don't even know how they do their job or wipe their own ass.
>>
I have a bachelors degree in mechanical engineering ( 3 years) and a journeymans degree as a machine builder.
25 yo /K/raut
Atm I'm earning about 53k€ (about 63k $) before taxes.
After taxes it's not all that much. "Only" about 3k $ a month.
But bear in mind that I'm only working 35 hours a week and have 30 paid days off.
I'm still with the same company I started my apprenticeship nearly 7 years ago.
The company is producing machine tools for the automotive industry 90% and aerospace& defence 10%.
My business card says that I am an sales engineer, but I spent 95% of my time in the company preparing propsals and look at the technical aspects: fixture sketches, the process, TCO data stuff like that.
I like the job and the products but the company is like a ship. In a storm. Without a captain. With holes in the ship and half of the crew is old as fuck.
>>
>>1310528
Your pay seems to be shit
>>
>>1310539
Depends totally on his country.
30k € is a fortune in slovakia
>>
Electrician, machine construction
45K year, 22yo
im more interested for a job in heavy industry, but there is not much and moving is not an option
>>
File: 1470425573941.gif (2.39 MB, 448x252)
2.39 MB
2.39 MB GIF
>>1310379

NEET.
3d printing, hobby electronics. Random shit i put togheter for fun. "career"
ca 34k usd a year.

What should i do to get a cool job.. Getting tired of the neet way of life.
>>
>>1310379
BS in physics for undergraduate
Working on PhD in metallurgical engineering (in school)
50k a year (paid for research, includes tuition)
25yo
Finishing up with academia this year and can't wait to get a real job in industry.
Nothing else I'd rather be doing.
>>
>>1310514
Just a bachelors and no PEng license either. Almost no computer engineers have PEng licenses. We deal with firmware and digital electronics. That's not going to kill anybody unless you're working in aeronautics or medical equipment. You need to be supervised by someone in your field with a PEng to get a PEng; so almost nobody having them makes it super hard to even find a job where you can get one.
>>
>>1310539

Well my nett pay is 1.78k month, I pay 400 in rent and 200 in groceries so it's kinda comfy for a junior sysadmin in a small town
>>
30 fireman going to school to be a nurse.
Making around 43-49k/yr. Depending upon side jobs/ot.
>>
>>1310379
NEET
Made $500k last year on crypto
>>
>>1310379
Structural engie.

I like it a lot. Lots of maff with practical application
>>
Auto parts warehouse
28k-ish?

I mean I like it, I do a whole lot of fucking nothing and the benefits are great. I don't have to focus on anything but my own hobbies and living is cheap as hell hear anyway so it's not like I struggle at all.
>>
>>1310526
This us for amerifats. I've done this test you need a bachelors.

In canukastan you can get a license with 12 years experience but no bachelors.
>>
30 years old
$27.000 a year work as a mechanic for a John deere importer.
Good fun no stress 7 hours a day.
Where i live this is more than enough.
Wife makes the same and we live off one salary.
Never studied for this, I studied for agriculture and this job was offered.
>>
Electrician/instrument tech shift work at a pulp mill
100k leaf bucks a year

I’ve got 4 more years and I can go job share with another guy, work 7 days a month at half salary, keep full benefits. I live innawoods so this will facilitate my descent into crazy hermit.
>>
software/sysadmin, 95k, 35, not anymore
used to be a lot happier when i was making a lot less money, too.
at least i work from home so if i choose to keep doing this i can live in the woods
>>
68k mech engineer for major carpet company.
Actually 48k after taxes...
Studied as a manufacturing engineer and it pains me everyday knowing that all I am is a paper pusher instead of making cool shit.

Looking to start a small manufacturing bidness with a few cnc machines I've bought. So hopefully I'll get that feeling of making something again
>>
>>1310379
contract general labor for a coal mine, starting tomorrow
just finished a 2 year college pre-employment electrical diploma
$15/hr

wish i could have made up my mind after high school and picked a branch of engineering. I want to go back to school for EE, Software Eng, or Financial Law but I need money to get my new family situated
>>
Paramedic
75K/year
I love my job, no day is the same.
>>
Literally autistic
self employed woodworker/refinisher
$500-$1k per month depending on season.
I'm literally disabled and no real jobs will ever hire me so making any money at all is great. And I get to set my own hours. Fuck corpamerica.
>>
Software engineer, work for a digital/emerging tech consultancy.
25 years old
73k/yr salary ( sometimes can get a sort of overtime if you need to work extra hours though, because time is billed to client. Depends if the client budget allows for it. )
>>
Tool and die maker
$5000-$8000/year
I could do this forever.
>>
27y
~80k
B1.1 Aircraft maintenance technician
2y experience.
>>
Self employed general sub in the midwest
35-75k a year after taxes depending on work
Wife has high paying office job
>>
File: 1513895155771.jpg (69 KB, 552x459)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
Welder, 26
About 35k.
I don't like it much, it's supposed to be custom fabrication but I always end up making stair bannisters and similar boring stuff or stupid bullshit (eg we're gonna spend the whole week grinding and welding parts that were already painted and galvanized because some office faggot changed his mind) while the day shift guys always get the cool jobs.
Currently deciding whether I'm loyal enough to not apply at the local Lockheed Martin shop that's been looking for a welder for a while.
>>
Construction Inspector, 37
80 K
Watching people work, telling them they are doing it wrong.
>>
>>1310743
Many die makers work into their 70s and 80s because they love the work and there is no replacement for skill. Your skills are versatile, transferrable (many machinists become millwrights or switch back and forth over the years depending on da money) and in many cases like repair machining, impractical to outsource.

Even better for you is most young people are helpless cunts and today they don't grow up exposed to metalworking.
>>
>>1310867
Drag up and get on with Lockheed! Aerospace is the life.

Alternate option with a comfy career track (way better than running a MIG in a non-specialty work fab shop) and early retirement is join the Air Force and get into structural repair. Will your fab shop pay you to retire in 20 years? Follow the money and do the math.

Machine and welding shop are combined and the field is very small but very comfy. Most people chosen for it already have civilian skills so the schooling is cake.

https://www.airforce.com/careers/detail/aircraft-metals-technology

t. retired USAF maintainer (avionics, engines and later crew chief, all of which I enjoyed).
>>
Chemical technician
$90-115k a year depending on hours

It's not bad, but there's no schedule. Either way it's probably the best I'll manage to get without a degree. I'm lucky to have it.
>>
Solar service/repair
~80k/year with company van/phone/tablet
>>
>>1310880
That would be pretty cool, thanks for the offer but I'm a leaf
>>
42k USD a year
Machine Operator in a wafer fab.
23 years old

I feel like I need to make more. Or something.
>>
>>1310379
800 a month ( I live in costa rica )
Customer service of AT&T , I teach elder people how to reset theyr own password Via Chat ; While Study In Computer engineering

Elder Americans are pretty fucking stupid, Please keep paying your bills on the phone, U-verse Is not worth it, Stay away from technology please.
Oh, By the way. Stay away from AT&T deals.

60% of the customers complaints about shitty offers, the devil is in the small letters
>>
>>1310512
How easy is it to get a job in EE right out of college?
>>
>>1310379
Cabinetmaker
$45,000 CAD before taxes

The work is fairly interesting, but the pay is pretty shitty. It's pretty obvious to me that if I want to afford a house one day I'll have to start my own business, but I'm scared. Huge start up and overhead costs.
>>
35 yo BS in MIS
IT Director and Sys/net admin for a k12 school. 15 years on the job $55k which is average. I wish I could make more but im content with why I cant.
>>
32 years old
warehouse
43k a year (california lol)

its probably not going to get any higher but ive already got a kid, one on the way, and a shack i call a house so its just not that easy to start school again

there are some free electrical classes from some union nearby, but its a few years long.
>>
>>1310379
23, hardwood installer
Making 90k-120k a year
>happy?
I suppose, but it tends to get exhausting at my pace. I've got a criminal record so I dropped out of university while studying compsci because no one will want to hire me.
>>
Do you have a chance applying for /diy/ jobs which you don't qualify for? Ones that don't need any schooling or certification, but benefit from if not require the specific equipment knowledge and experience? I'm only asking because wording is usually vague, e.g. "X experience preferred".
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (112 KB, 1280x720)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>21
>freshman year college dropout (with a full ride scholarship)
>clothes folder at the mall
>host at an italian restaurant
>"$10 guy" helping a painter paint a fence one weekend
>currently unemployed with no prospects
>have a qt3.14 retard gf
>sold my car and bought two bitcoin at $4000
>no income

I like to make wood stuff in my dad's garage
>>
File: IMG_0748.jpg (2.61 MB, 3264x2448)
2.61 MB
2.61 MB JPG
Industrial Refrigeration Engineer
100k NZD before tax average.
basically stumbled into an apprenticeship, turned out to be a really interesting career.
been qualified 3 years, apprenticeship for 4.
gets pretty repetitive sometimes but i get to mix it up a bit, and some days if i feel like i cant be fucked ill just go exploring the different sites.
>>
4000$ a year
22years old
I study, teach and research in our university.
The pay is not good, but I am still a student and it's enough in Eastern Europe while I live with my parents.
Third of it is child support from my father, third of it is from the university because of my grades and the rest comes from teaching.
As a researcher I don't get paid yet because I still do my bachelor's, but I get some project foundings and the university pays all my expenses when I have to go to a conference.
I love my job, it's really interesting and teaching helped me with social gains
>>
>>1310548
Internship or apprenticeship
>>
Glass deliveries
AUD65k last year

Quit to be student/trader
AUD14k so far this year
>>
>>1311060
That is a good job indeed.
But it really sucks when a valve fails during maintenance, or a forklift takes out a pipe and it ends up killing a few people.
At least here is the states, you would go to jail for it
>>
>>1310379
Maritime electronics technician, 34

Roughly 100k€

Happy, but i should have started saving for my own boat in my 20's at the latest.
>>
Pipe welder
About 200k on a good year

No life. I am my job. Never home. Drink too much. Shit hotels.
GPD XD makes the wait time tolerable
>>
>>1311035
>diy
>job
>>
>>1310966
In 2008 I didn't have an issue but I went into mining.

Really depends on which sector you wish to attack.
>>
39, General Manager of an engineering firm.
£45k
It's enough for me, and I actually enjoy my job.
>>
School night custodian
Roughly 50k/year after deductions
It's not a bad job and there are no direct supervisors, but I miss having afternoons off. It's really killed my social life.
>>
>>1310379
CTO / CIO
Finance / FinTech
250k + bonus + equity + perks = 400k - 450k
36 years old

I didn't set out to do this work, really was a smart tech guy with a good personality and a strong work ethic. Boom here I am. Hope to get a elevation to partner soon as well.
>>
Software Engineer and somewhat of a sysadmin for a small dev team

Love every aspect of the job
>>
>>1310540
So I always wonder this about Europeans: How the heck can you afford to live!? I've seen the prices of things in stores and they're usually higher than things here in the U.S. Sure, you get the gvt health care, but here your employer usually pays for most of that anyway.

How can you afford a car? a house? etc.
>>
Union Plumber. 27 years old. 50-60K a year, not really sure. 5 1/2 years of night school. Like the job when I'm running metal pipe. Hate plastic. Probably should have been a fitter. All in all it's a fun job that has satisfied my creativity. Do mostly commercial and industrial work, but as a plumber someone knows someone who knows a guy that wants you to put in a fucking tub for him.
>>
>>1311347
I don't know how other people here in America cant live on 20 thousand $ a year.
I don't even get that much.
if I had 35 thousand every year I wouldn't even know what to do with it. I guess I would have it sealed in plastic bags inside a pvc pipe and hide it somewhere
>>
>>1311366
Amerifats don't advertise take home pay(or profit). Last time I had a conversation with some friends in Europe, they only told take home pay(after taxes/living expenses)
>>
>>1310379
Maintenance tech in a mill. No.
>>
>>1310379
airconditioning and refrigeration license
gas fitters license

HVAC foreman, $100k CDN 32yrs
pretty good.
>>
File: 20170821_083103.jpg (1.87 MB, 4032x3024)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB JPG
>job
Fire Alarm/Low Voltage Technician
>career
Entering year 3 of merit-shop Electrician
school
>pay
$17/hr
>age
Almost 22.
>are you happy with your choice
I love the work, but I am anxious about some things. Will I start at a lower pay at an electrical company if I have only done low voltage, despite schooling? I feel a bit underpaid already.
>>
30 years
Unnenployed, last job IT Annalyst, sallary US$800 per month 9600 per year. I was like responsible for the IT in the company, had a boss he didn't do anything, but he had a manager position and got US$3000 per month. Very bad choice. In Brazil they kinda make every job pay less.
>>
>>1310676
That's pretty damn high for a paramedic.
>>
>>1311452
And I don't mean that it's too high, not at all. I just mean it's much much higher than average.
>>
Technician (Have worked for companies like Dell and Fujitsu). $40,000 salary. 25 years old. Married. Own a 2,000sq ft home and have 5 mortgage payments left on it.

It's the millennial mentality to want everything at once because we live in a consumer materialistic society, but I try to understand that you have to wait for things in life and it has served me well. That's probably why a lot of the people I went to highschool with are still working in McDonalds or Walmart and complaining about how minimum wage is too low.
>>
Granite fabricator
~$35,000

I am also getting into buying and renting real estate for extra dough
>>
>>1311392
That is a pretty messed up ego deflating tidbit.

I'm 30 and do data entry for a big company.
$62k pre tax
Bi weekly check is $1,500, so that'd be a lovely $36k/yr.
Only $400 hits my checking account. The rest goes towards the mortgage and into retirement. The wife makes $70-something and has to pay health insurance.

God we really went wrong somewhere looking at some of you other folk.
>>
>>1311453
Cuck
>>
>>1310379
Pilot First Officer, 20yo, £48,000
>>
>>1310379
>watch out low income coming through

turned 21 this month. don't drink but its the legal age for buying handguns here. of course I already own 3

fix small engine
mowing
cut down some trees bushes and firewood
a few truckloads of scrap metal
move furniture and boxes and other things
hay cows fences and other farm stuff
I have fixed and/or sold a few cars motorcycles snowmobiles

about 9 thousand $$ in 2017
live with Mom but saving for a house with acres. I have 3 small buildings but no land and no house
>>
Eurofage here.
ca. 1k a year
Selling news papers on weekends
I love my job
>>
>>1310881
Oil and gas?
>>
>>1311347
Kraut here.
Well most europeans consume less.
E.g. In poland basic food like bread, vegetables are very affordable. They seldom buy premade food.
Also cost of housing isn't that high.
But they don't drive top of the line cars
and some areas can be considered dirt poor.
They don't starve, but thats all.
>>
>>1310379
Oilfield Lease Operator
$90k/yr
Whip around in a company vehicle spending their money and wrenching on shit. Learning tons, tuition assistance. bretty happy considering I'm bottom of the totem pole
>>
>>1310534
ayyyyyyyy similar situation
>got job at mom and pop hard facing shop
>been in the family for 80 years now
>after my 5th year here the boss's kid finally decides to come work at the family business
>become bros, have all kind of ideas for improvements to make when he inevitably takes over. these aren't revolutionary ideas just common sense stuff that would increase things like morale, efficiency, profits
>he gets in an argument with his dad and decides that he'll just go work for lincoln electric instead
>now the owner is getting close to 80 and there's no one to take over the business
no idea what's going to happen. the shop has a great reputation but the workers have all gotten lazy as fuck since the closest guy in age to me, 30, is 55+ and everyone can readily see the boss is getting so senile he can't manage shit anymore.
>>
>>1311749
Any way to buy the company? Couldn't hurt to low ball the dude at this point, right?
>>
>>1311759
it actually isn't even owned by the 80 year old guy but his mother who got ownership after her husband passed. she's still somehow clinging to life and i doubt she has any interest in selling. but i suppose you're right that it wouldn't hurt.
>>
23, 2year technologist diploma, Was making $50k cad/yr doing electrical design and just got hired by a utility company for $97k cad yr plus OT to train to become a system operator. Seems pretty good to me.
>>
>>1310979
I went to uni because I had a record. Odds are if they require a degree they won't check backgrounds or make you piss in a cup.
>>
>>1311881
It's hard enough as it is to get a tech job in WA as a white person who expect reasonable pay. Every tech company is loaded with H1B Indians who do it cheaper. I went to Microsoft hq to browse around and noticed that more than 70% of the employees there were Indian. Same with Amazon and Cray
>>
File: 1504481351399.jpg (653 KB, 1500x998)
653 KB
653 KB JPG
Any other rope techs?
>>
>>1311892
Oh yeah. That actually makes a lot of sense. Sounds like you found something better anyway.

While I'm here; 29 yo, b.sc in communication, broadcast engineer for local news station, 40k.
Just started but I think I like it.
>>
Popo
Lots of OT
Its aight
>>
About to graduate with an electrical lineman certification and associates in arts and science.
Hope I can find an apprenticeship.
So far based on shit I do at school it's enjoyable but I can tell it'll be terrible for my body.
>>
>>1310379

23, food safety auditor, currently sitting at $50k for first year. Wasn't sure how I'd like it at first, but definitely warming up to it as I got to more actual manufacturing facilities
>>
What do you guys prefer? Multinational companies or small businesses?

Small businesses
>pros
You have power to make a change in the company
You have flexibility
Doing multiple and various tasks

>cons
The pay is usually lower
You cannot brag to be part of something big (as airbus guys do in my city, walking around showing off their badges when they are only light bulb changers)
>>
>>1312157
A year ago I would have said I prefer a business that values my input.

But turns out my former company was apparently laundering money and they didn't appreciate the suggestion they were going to get caught because things don't work the way they do on Netflix shows.
>>
>>1310528
Western Eurofag here, this is normal
Work in signing
30k/year
I got a house, 400 rent, 300 groceries and 400 insurances, this is nice
>>
>>1312213
Western too, southern France
400 house for my share (half), 100 groceries and 700 for bike and car insurance. You seem to eat a lot
>>
>>1311347
In reasonably well off Eastern Europe countries, rent for a small apartment is around 150 (small cities) to 400 (capitals). There is also a huge number of homeowners, most families, even poor ones, tend to own the house or apartment they live in. Most people drive second hand cars, many of which are imported from western countries. Services are much cheaper since everyone works for a lower wage.
>>
EU fag
just started scaffolding
helper 15k € after taxes, fuck me

tfw still almost 3x more than I would made in home country
>>
Construction field engineer, usually on highway, airport, heavy civil jobs
84k, plus company vehicle

It is generally exciting work, but there is a lot of tedious contract and accounting shit that I hate. And the fact that you work 12 hours a day typically, unless it's winter.
>>
>>1312251
Not after you get EURO in your country
after few years prices for most things are almost 1 = 1, while 1€ was 3,45LT. There things cost literary same as it was in old currency and we getting just few euros bump every year.

tfw ran to YEWrope because Russia "may" fuck us and jumped right on BB(euro)C and keep jumping up and down on it, to show what Russia will never get.
>>
>>1310379
31. Industrial electrician (red seal) with a controls and power technologist ticket.

Just finished the tech ticket last april. Worked 3/4s of the year and made $148K.
>>
>>1310379
I’m a troubleshooter in a tire factory. I got a two year eet degree and I make a little over 60k right now, a year in. I like my job and my station in life.
>>
>>1311771
ITT: Liars.
>>
>>1310379
Heavy machinery operator. $18.50 i think? An hour. 50 hours a week.

7/10.

Will suffice until my investments take off or i get smart enough to make em work. Seeing progress tho and i can get a job anywhere in America if i need one now.
>>
>>1310394
Poor bastard. Lol, good enough money to pick up other trades tho.

But at least aluminum means you likely are in a shoo instead of doing a headstand in the snow like my pipeline bros
>>
>>1310405
Are u the diy led panel guy that did shows and stuff on here? If so grats man. I would do that shit on the side.

Also, have you seen anons water cooled flashlight? He has a parts list. Do you think 2 of these would be brighter than offroad lighting?
>>
>>1310512
Sweet. What kind of mining u in? I stripmine rock for a living. Like most of us here i am 100% fucking off underground soon.
>>
>>1312219
I could do less, but i have no reason to
And i guess its more expensive here
Netherlands btw
>>
>>1310548
There arent any. Every job u will ever have will suck ass. Some less than others. Just work on a way going back the the neet life but have income from your investments and you will get along fine.

God what i wouldn't give to quit my fucking job...
>>
>>1310593
>smell that?

That is bullshit kids
>>
>>1310675
Start jumping in any equioment they will let u in anon. Will quickly get u a better paying job and probably safer. Good luck at any rate tho.

Grats on the new family.

Dont be affraid to tell those guys to fuck thenselves if they ever make u do any sketchy shit.

Lockout tagout 100% of the time anon. You will see why in the safety vids if your company has them or you have your annual safety training by a certified MSHA cuck.

You will learn to hate msha more than obama pretty quick. Kek
>>
>>1310681
Do the autism jokes here bother you or u disabled in another way?
>>
>>1310867
Why be at all loyal. Its a job. Idgaf if your boss is your best friend. They wont think twice about kicking you to the curb to save a buck. You shouldn't be affraid to tell them to suckit. Do it on good terms and often if you hate the next job u can just go back
>>
>>1310876
I bet you are very loved by the blue collars...
>>
>>1310877
Its sad kids are so dependant.

Dont want to sound like billy badass but if i was dropped off anywjere near here in descent weather i would have a life carved out better than 99% of the mudhit people in a month.

Todays kids woukd fucking freak if they got the internet taken away for a week. I know because i have seen it.
>>
>>1310958
Can confirm att sucks the biggest of balls and old people are techno dinosaurs.

I have att only out of necessity. Gotta have one for work and i work in the sticks. Pay out the ass but have unlimited internet and direct tv we have never used.

Dipshits said they throttle you after 22gigs.

Jokes on the att cucks. They got rid of all the 3g shit here to make room for 4g lte.

Netfix and amazon tv dont stand a chance. I will watch it all
>>
>>1310970
Nah, just start small with a good buddy or two.

Build custom cabinets for folks you know in your garage part time. Reinvest every single dime yall make until you can either step aways from you job or hire a few guys to do it while you work and start a business.

I work 59 hours a week and put over 15 into a trucking company. Broke about dead even after a year of working a second overtime job for free, but i learned a lot. Worth it. 9/10 businesses fail in the first fice years. So i only got 8 more to go for freedom.

And if your side business is sustainable 5 years later you got a 90% chance of success.
>>
>>1311366
Kek. Called being an adult with bills. Add jids and you make well over 40k in free shit that i work for withoit even having a job.
>>
>>1311491
Its a fucking pain in the dick. But its worth it.

Even breaking even you are making mortgage and property tax payments on multiple houses.

Sell off the shit ones, take equity from the good ones, buy better/more shit.
>>
>>1311742
Fancy name for a pumper anon. KEK.

Good on you tho. Just be sure and check every well every day. If need be and a road is flooded buy a fucking drone to check on the well. Every second counts if u got a leak. Fucking epa...

Get in good with the company and learn wtf they do. Around here poking a hole is around 120k. Cam survive anything above $45 a barrel typically. Dont get over leveraged and fail. Save some for the bad times (like the last several years.)

Good luck bro. Get to knoe the guus on the pulling unit / workover rigs. Especially the cowboys that have been doing it for several decades. They know more shit than the people that own the wells a lot of the time. Carry cold pop or if u can beer, and catch those guys at the end of the day.

Hell, you can build a rod rig out of an old 1 ton and do odd pump changes after hours for your company and make some bank. Long as the wells aren't super deep, you aren't alergic to grease or hard work, and you're willing to pull singles.
>>
>>1311894
Absolute madman
>>
>>1311944
You should iheart radio 97.5 kmod out of Tulsa, OK. 6am-10am central tume they have a morning show that gets pretty wild. They got a massive reach and have events a lot. You could meet the guy that pilots the show and get some pointers probably. If nothing else its worth checking out man. Best hours of my day.
>>
>>1312157
Small 100%.

Big companies are so cucked with rukes and like u said. Badge bitches. Fuck em. I used to deliver high end furniture and did some sales. Made more than 90% of our customers.

Over HALF of deliveries. Hoyty toyty manlet or fugly cunt says "I'm an engineer for boing" about 4 times like i give a fuck...
>>
>>1312290
Does that place stink like shit or nah? I was looking into recapping for "offroad use only." Mostly tires for bros and burnouts.
>>
>>1312304
32 also
>>
>>1312311
Lately it's been potash.
>>
>>1312278
In France a baguette (yes, a baguette) went from 1F to 0.90€ while 1€ is 6.5F and salaries went from, for example, 10 000F to 1700€
Rape train approaching
>>
22yo unemployed atm.

Planning on calling up a shipyard that offers apprenticeships, it's $17.50 an hour and has full benefits last I checked. I'm probably gonna go with pipe welding as my path because I read that their pipe welding training finishes off with teaching you how to be a foreman. My area's also bleeding for welders atm, and the community college in the area is blatantly telling people to take their welding classes (which is partnered with that shipyard).
>>
>>1312321
Think he gets paid for each instance of 'literally'?
>>
30yo
Designer in Tech
99k/yr
>>
>>1310530
I do service at Walmarts and Sam's club. You think the customers are entitled? You should see your fellow employees.
>MY SCALE IS OFF BY .002 OZ HE WAS JUST HERE
>look up last service call, 6 months ago we calibrated it
>Meanwhile the user is storing catalogs of PLUs on the scale
>The scale platter has never been cleaned
>Someone is charging their phone off the scale USB ports
>>
File: IMG_20171224_150347437.jpg (2.12 MB, 3264x2448)
2.12 MB
2.12 MB JPG
>>1312341
Thanks, I'm always searching other stations.
>>
>>1312321
High functioning, obviously. Take him to Vegas to count thru 10 decks.
>>
22yo, live at home, two jobs,
one $11/h cook, w/ free delicious meals everyday, non-stressful, non-boring.
another $10/hour at a hardware store as a cashier. Associate discount on everything in store and car service. Non-stressful, non-boring, meet lots of cuties, and some genuinely interesting customers sometimes.

Looking to finish my associates at community college and then get into a trade like metalworking or electrician by starting an apprenticeship.
>>
>>1312580
Good luck your fucking useless
>>
Hotel Maintenance
$12/h

It's pretty good, most nights I spend the whole shift watching anime, every now and then I get a guest call or the maintenance manager will leave a project for me and I eat at the restaurant for free.
Over all 10/10
>>
>>1312157
Small. Another plus: everyone knows your name.

In construction, big companies at least get to work on big projects, which I would also brag about. My cousin is working on the Wrigley Field renovations, and all I get to talk about working on are apartment complexes.
>>
>>1310547
Industrial electrician, 25 years old here. I made $80k last year working 3 days a week. I live in a low CoL area too. You are getting screwed my friend.
>>
>>1312577
>thinking counting cards requires autism, or is even possible at casinos using multiple decks and shuffling frequently
Counting cards is stupid easy. Can you add and subtract numbers as large as 3? How about 4? If yes, congrats, you are smart enough to count cards. The problem is, using multiple decks diminishes your advantage significantly(especially if they arent full decks), and every time they shuffle your count has to start over.
>>
>>1312345
I work in an assembly area and it doesn’t stink but in prep where they turn rubber into product it probably does, yeah.
>>
36k/yr 22, disabled from military. Looking for something to do, honestly.
>>
>>1312278
We had the same shit going on with DM. Salaries were halfed and prices stayed the same, just in EUR. I like the idea of everyone in europe having the same currency but the system is fucked up big time. It only works when the countries are allowed to equalize to one another financially. But on the other hand it was very weird to go to LT (which is very close) as a 16 year old and live like a king because even broke as fuck (by german standards) i could get all the beer and booze i ever wanted. Just because LTL was cheap to buy.
>>
I am 25 making about 45k pre taxes as upper admin in a small social services agency. Long term I am doing law school and plan to work for a university. My undergrad was in philosophy and was in no way shape or form related to what I do now. I got a job in student services at the university I graduated from straight out of college and then stumbled into this through a friend. Job is pretty chill I am salaried with benefits and only spend about 4.5 hours a day in the office. Plenty of time for school and projects on the side. But i definitely couldnt stay in this field forever. Wife holds a similarly paying job working with foster kids. We own our home and are a few years out from being mortgage free.
>>

50k salary + benefits

repairing broken LED wall tiles that come back busted from shows because ahit happens. Most days im in a small isolated room by myself soldering 1.5mm smd pixels for 8 hrs straight

>pros
peaceful, nobody bothers me really, i just come in do my work and leave.

I get to listen/watch whatever I want, keeps me sane and I learn things

>cons
it's quite monotonous

isolating, social skills degrading, feel seperated from the rest of the company

already nearsighted and it's getting worse, might develop workplace asthma from being around flux smoke too much
>>
>>1312770
Thank u for your service. Assuming burgerland?

Should look into the silhouette cameo 3. $200 vinyl plotter. Can make stickers for 10 cents and charge $5 or more like at the fairs. Bonus points it can cut heat transfer vinyl. Get a tshirt press and there u go. Get a "real" plotter and stahl shirt press and go nuts.

Probably not get rich, but u could have a cash only side job out of your home if u want.

Not sure exactly how you are disabled, but this could be done from a wheelchair i believe.

Maybe some of it one handed if you need to. Could tape down decales and weed them with one hand.

Just some things i have been considering. Not sure if it helps, but u get into sublimation printing athletic shir and boy, you be in business
>>
>>1312632
Says the faggot neet with 0 jobs leaching off of guys like us.

Neck yourslelf faggor
>>
>>1312577
Lol, fucking a lets go
>>
>>1312549
No prob. Get a descent cb u can split channels on and u can have some fun. Run on 19.5 and it will just make the worst raket on 19 and piss off everyone.

Nothing illegal about it either
>>
File: 20170930_152433.jpg (475 KB, 1280x720)
475 KB
475 KB JPG

BA in Interdisciplinary Computing in the Arts

75k + benefits

C# codemonkey/Unity3D developer for a small startup making "virtual brick-and-mortar workspaces" for business/education (sorta like Second Life but with 100% less sex and dragons.) Fun and challenging work, generally non-stressful (until a server goes down.)

I /diy/ janky racecars in my free time. I like putting turbos on things that aren't really supposed to have turbos.
>>
File: SkeletonPuppetDances.gif (492 KB, 215x194)
492 KB
492 KB GIF
>>1312301
> pissed off liberal arts major

Believe it or not, having a degree in a useful technical field is a great way to make money.
>>
File: stang.jpg (1.28 MB, 1642x1094)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB JPG
>>1313162
Nobody asked, but for anyone curious that tC puts 300 horses on the ground with a t3/t4.

Next project is a '94 mustang, gonna twin turbo it, aiming for 800.
>>

70k/yr

Team leader in a dairy factory

Left School at 16 with no qualifications and kept pushing forward
>>
File: gay.jpg (11 KB, 238x212)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>1313164
>300 /mlp/s
>>
>>1313164
man that looks hidious
>>
>>1310379
Extrusion engineer. Just a job title, I'm in no way an engineer, I run various blown film extruders to produce film to be converted to plastic bags and industrial packaging. 31k GBP, 4 12hr shifts followed by 4 days off, bit shifty as my week is 8 days long so it can be awkward to make plans with friends but I have plenty of time off to fuck around with other projects and I quite like the job, I also get access to the workshop here for my tinkering which is pretty cool.
Also, my tinder profile says I'm a film producer, technically I'm not lying and since I changed it to that I've gotten a hell of a lot more responses.
>>
>>1310379
Target warehouse worker - order picker. I make 19.57/hour. I'm 25. It's only temporary till I can finish this fucking degree this May that I started in 2010. Then I can probably get trained to be a manager or some shit.
>>
>>1313198
Oh I forgot to mention I only work 3 days regular shift, 12 hours each. Then I get almost as much overtime as I want, but some days they ask us to go home or else work in another department, which sucks because my job is super easy and some of the other ones are hard.
>>
Software dev apprentice
11k eurobucks
>>
>>1313195
>film producer
Good one. I work in metallic coatings, I'll keep that one in mind.
>>
>>1313199
I do the same thing for wal-mart but I’m in Quality Assurance making 22.65.

3 Twelves is master-race for shift work and leaves many hours for projects
>>
>>1313174
and what shitbox do you drive?

>>1313191
thanks
>>
File: mf3.jpg (349 KB, 2048x1534)
349 KB
349 KB JPG
>>1312309
That's me. The thing is I used to do electronic art as a day job but couldn't make enough money to support myself. You need an amazing portfolio to win big art grants and I'm slowly getting there.

I never saw the water cooled LED thread. It seems like a lot of complexity and failure modes for minor benefit. With water cooling you still needs a heat sink to push the heat into the air; it's just that it can be smaller because it's not the air right next to the thing you want to cool.
>>
>>1310379
19yo Ausfag here
Sheet steel roofer/roof plumber 1st year apprentice doing domestic construction
make about $11.52 AUD an hour or about 20K a year
its pretty shit but i guess im learning stuff and get to go to trade school on my boss's dime which is pretty cool
>>
>>1313475
fucking shit thats low pay for such a job. i thought oz was more socialist in their pay structure. here in canuckistan they just raised the minimum wage to $14/hr and our dollars are usually of similar value
>>
>>1313485
Too bad half your pay goes to socialism tax... fucktard. Crazy Beer and wine tax wtf.. idiots
>>
>>1313485
Too bad half your pay goes to socialism tax... fucktard. Crazy Beer and wine tax wtf.. idiots
>>
>>1310867
Go to lockheed son.
>>
What would be a good money making job with little competition for a guy with no qualifications who doesn't care if the job is dangerous if it pays right and is into /diy/?
>>
>>1313497
>>1313499
but then we dont have to remortgage our house to visit a dentist or live on the streets if you break a bone
>>
>>1313589
Or you could not be retarded and have a separate bank account in which you save money for future mishaps instead of paying for muhammads health.
>>
29 y/o. Appliance repair technician, 50k before taxes. Probably closer to 30k after taxes and insurance for me my wife and kid. No complaints, good job if you like puzzles and can get yourself moving, Pretty good pay for an associates degree at a community college, but I’m lucky to be with the company I’m with.... I’m above the top end for saleries in this career in my area..
>>
>>1313595
keep saving for your chemotherapy you have almost enough for a month
>>
>>1313603
Chemotherapy is for dumb clueless goyim. It actually hurts you and does jack shit. There are accounts of people reversing cancers by changing their shit habits and diet. Keep being a milking cow for big pharma.
>>
>>1310379
24yr/old MArch student at a big state college. "Research Assistant" with tuition waiver + 1000$ monthly to do basically whatever.

Boss wants me get a PhD but I dunno what i want to do in life besides get comfy. I'm happy in the moment but feel like I could be doing something better. I get the nagging feeling I'll be kicking myself in 5-10 years.
>>
File: 1506028352459.jpg (14 KB, 320x320)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>1313603
>Mfw all my prescriptions are free including the exotic expensive ones.
>>
I'm a general contractor with 2 full time and 1 part time employees. 39 yo. 70K per year base pay + company profits to me at year end.

I don't regret my career path but may have had an easier time making more money as an electrician.
>>
>>1310669
Hire me mfgpai, I've been out of a job since graduating with BSME, would love a job making things. 2d>3d, but I'd do 2.5D for pay.
>>
Eastern Europe coms and it specialist for the army, logistics. I make about 9.000 euros per year. Pretty happy with my job and my status.
>>
>>1313942
Mfgsenpai here, do an internship.
>>
65k (roughly 45k take home) Canadian last year, military and fucking hate my life, can you turn on a ceiling fan and lift? you can do my job

working on an out, getting a gas fitter license. no clue what to do after that though. was thinking about signing up to do plumber/electrical but i cant become an apprentice while in the forces

anyone ever pay a company to write them off on hours? is this a viable option (not all of them but say i work for 1000 getting trained and they find i actually did 4500) i don't think it would take me 2-3 years to figure out how to install water pipes if i can figure out ng ones
>>

Associates of Applied Science in Metals Fabrication and Welding Technology

R&D Welding and metal fabrication for industrial company

$52,500/yr for now

Full benefits for free/401k with match/unlimited paid vacation
>>
File: IMG_1030.jpg (2.85 MB, 3264x2448)
2.85 MB
2.85 MB JPG
Framing carpenter 2nd year apprentice pay will be double in the next 2 years and hopefully go out on my own not long after
>>
File: 1510964187351.jpg (100 KB, 868x654)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
I'm a machinist at a very small shop in NJ. Just the boss and myself. I make $15 an hour, 40 hours a week, with health insurance. I'm nearing 30. Went to a state school for accounting, got my degree when the economy was taking a rancid shit and decided "I'm not going to work for free for an accounting company by being an intern," got a job at RGIS for a year doing business inventories, then ended up where I am now. I'm going on six and a half years at the shop, and while I fucking hate having to deal with intricate shit, I'm still happy. I live at home, and swing trade stocks on the side.
>>
HVAC Installer
34K/year before taxes

I like the job itself, but it can be stressful and I feel underpaid. I have only been in the trade a year (was the shop bitch the three months before then), but I am already running crews and drawing fittings for VERY high-end residential projects (talking 10,000SF+ luxury homes). That being said, I am only getting paid $17/hr. There are no state-required certs for HVAC in my state and most shops don't even require an EPA card to get hired, so the "he's not a state-certified journeyman!" reasoning cannot be used here. Even then, I went out and got my EPA card a couple months ago and my company knows I am studying for NATE certifications. Thinking about going union at this point.
>>
>>1314460
yeah right
>>
>>1314566
Going rate is 32-40 an hour cob I'm on 16.50. So yea pretty confident ae
>>
34, Project Manager for a stormer roofing company. 100k-200k a year. Work 2-4 months a year.
>>
>>1310534
>>
30y
Finlan
Fire-Security Maintance Technican at Nuclear Powerplant
3 + 1y Electrican studies
39-45k€ y.
>>
26yo leaf
Mailman
~$50k a year
Paid for 40 hours a week but I only do between 25-35 depending on how much shit you people order
Overtime 1.5x whenever, there's always overtime to fill, and any minute extra is considered overtime because of the 40h/wk salary
Full benefits, pension plan, 4 weeks vacay
Federal, unionized position, almost impossible to get fired
>>
Postdoctoral research scientist
$42K, US
I'm pretty damn happy with my choice.
>>
>>1315140
I did some contracting once when I was 23 for some storm roofing company

was pretty cake, lots of pay no hassle
>>
Apprentice Die Maker
17/hr
Pay is not bad considering I've only been working there for four months, plenty of OT too
>>
>>1316242
I always thought mailman would be a really good job
don't have to travel very far
just go around delivering mail
put things on truck-take things off the truck
good physical job but the kind of thing you could do until you are 65 years old or more

but I don't have a GED
>>
I think i am the most fucked up here ,
Working in big towercrane company as technician,
€ 1500 net monthly income,
10-12 hours average day , 5 days,
Climbing towercranes to repair,
High risk job,
Working in 100km/h winds, rain, snow doesnt matter
+/- 1 year in this company
Btw 24 y old.
Life sucks .....
>>
part time military (navy)
ive given up on finding a conventional job, it's fucking impossible unless you have a degree and even then you need a lot of nepotism to get it done

I'd consider some kind of home business but I've been out of computer shit too long and computer shit is too saturated anyway, and I live in an apartment so I can't feasibly make too many things that anyone would actually buy. but i dont think anyone would ever buy anything i make anyway, it's all ikea this and 5.11 that.

>>1310388
>all my meals get comped.
truly living the dream
>>
>>1310676
if american, this probably means that this guy gets paid 75k/year before taxes to go murder people by tying belts around their limbs until the limb falls off, then they go shitpost on /k/ about how it makes them a true hero that they once almost killed themselves with a compressed gas cylinder
>>
Right now I work maybe 12 hours a week at Staples doing tech. It's 11.10 an hour, but scheduling is shit and there is almost no opportunity for advancement. I only started recently, and I honestly don't mind it, but I don't see myself staying for more than a year, unless by some miracle I get a supervisor position. I'm starting a manufacturing certification program soon, hopefully going to learn machining and get in with a defense contractor. I'll occasionally flip junk and do odd jobs.
19 years old
I'm kind of a mess. I had "go to college, get a degree" drilled into my head since I in preschool, but I end up dropping out after 1.5 semesters and now I'm here. I had undiagnosed ADHD and I just couldn't make it work, almost started doing heroin.
I don't know. I'll see where I am in two years.
>>
>>1310379
web developer
$87k doing front end work at a startup
I was a network engineer for 3 years, didn't like it anymore because at the end of the day I was still just an IT bitch, took a year off to study web development and make a portfolio, shopped it around and got a job within a month. I'm very happy, and with this increase in earning potential my plans to fund my own entrepreneurial ideas are in much better shape than previously
>>
File: 1409277984763.jpg (127 KB, 400x545)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
Industrial Electrician(apprentice), $36,000, not at all happy
>>
Helicopter Mechanic/ Student

Happy with my internship and they offered me a full time job working after I graduate.

Pretty cool shit working on various state police helicopters and different medevac operations. Wish pay was better as an intern but it's one hell of a starting point for a career.
>>
28, wastewater treatment plant operator, 100k - 120k/year before taxes.
Awesome job and only needed a high school to get into it.
>>
>>1317018
My grandfather worked wastewater for a bit; said it was one of the best jobs he ever had. How'd you get in?
>>
Trailer park maintenance, $250 a week. Kill me please
>>
Technical cleanliness engineer for a German automotive company

$63,133/year

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.