[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: IMG_7863.jpg (38 KB, 520x520)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
I need some help drafting a letter for a neighbor with a squeaky attic fan. Everytime I go outside I can hear a loud squeak as it slowly rotates. It usually doesn't bother me because I'm inside for the most part, however tonight I had company over and it was a nuisance. We sat outside around the fireplace and as we conversed the squeaking noise was quite disturbing. I plan to purchase a small can of WD40 for a few bucks and include it in the letter. That way I'm addressing the issue and offering a solution. Am I weird for wanting to write this? I know we're on a computer but keep in mind this is a real life situation that I would like handled as nicely as possible. I plan to say it keeps me up at night or something that way they'll try to fix it sooner rather than later. I was thinking something like this, does it sound rude? If so let me know what I should change or what kind of letter you would like to receive in this situation if it were the neighbor with the squeaky fan -

Dear Neighbor,
Can you please put a little WD40 on the roof ventilation fans in your attic. When one of them rotates it squeaks very loudly and keeps me up at night. Thank you very much I really appreciate it.
Sincerely,
Your neighbor
>>
>>1312176
Or just go "mate, can I oil that fan. Its annoying as hell and might set on fire if you don't"

You know. Talking. Like a person would.
>>
>>1312176

Would not recommend wd40 as a fan lube.
>>
>>1312177
This
>>
>>1312177
no talking, write note in blood or letters cut out of random words in a newspaper
>>
File: IMG_7864.jpg (275 KB, 800x800)
275 KB
275 KB JPG
>>1312177
It's this kind of fan so it wouldn't catch fire. The neighbor works odd hours and is gone a lot so it'd be hard to catch him anyway. I live in a culdesac and he's my neighbor behind me so he lives on the next street culdesac. I think a note would work best I just don't want to sound rude
>>
Sounds spot on, just go post the letter/can
>>
>>1312185
This. Wd40 is a terrible lubricant. Get something else OP. Also I would offer to climb into the attic and do it yourself.
>>
>>1312185
>>1312229
He's dealing with someone who lets a vent get to such a degree it squeks that badly, i doubt if he sends some proper lube/oil with the letter the guy would know what to do with it.
At least WD40 will keep it quiet for a few months maybe a year or so
>>
I would definitely NOT offer to climb up there and do it yourself. And giving him the lubricant he needs is even a bit much... I sure as hell wouldn't want to promote more laziness on his part, he already can't be bothered to fix an issue that, if it's obvious to you, should be very obvious to him. And what happens when it starts squeaking again? Maybe he'll expect his good old neighbor to come over, and take care of it for him...
>>
>>1312233
Wd40 won't keep it quiet for a week.

OP, get some lubricant/grease made for marine use so it wont be immediately washed out by the elements. Then attach it to a drone and you won't need your neighbors permission.
>>
That letter won't do anything, he'll just take the wd40 and use it on his doors and locks.
Write this instead: "Hello fellow human, fuck your fan, if'a you not'a fix your squeaky fan, I will'a touch'a your spaghet!
- La eMe" (send your own chopped off thumb with the letter)
>>
>>1312234

This is a good point for this situation and life in general.

I’m guilty of this kind of behaviour myself. Attempting to be overly helpful/accommodating often produces the opposite response if people take you for being weak.
>>
Ask him to hire a roofing company to come and lube the fan.
>>
>>1312176
wd40 aint no good for lubrication and it aint no good for rusty hardware.
it is decent for cleaning things but pb blaster is far better but smells worse

on something like this I would use automatic transmission fluid

even a couple drops of vegetable oil would be ok. but not wd40
>>
>>1312215
They can and will still get hot enough to set shit on fire. If the bearing is fucked it’ll either stop working or get hot enough that anything flammable around it will ignite. Mostly likely it’d just stop working but there’s always that chance
>>
File: 1511320099561.jpg (291 KB, 560x560)
291 KB
291 KB JPG
>>1312176
thats not how you respond, what you do is you go outside their door at 3 am and go REEEEEEEEEECRREEEEEEEEEEEE-EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER, replicating the sound of the attic fan, except really loudly, so you wake them up
>>
>>1312176
Thinly veiled WD40 troll thread.
WD40 is not for lubrication, use sewing machine oil, semisolid vaseline or graphite dust if applicable.
>>
>>1312176
Do like i do to neighboring squeaky turbines.

Bow + arrow.

Blunt tip so arrow bounces and hopfully falls to the ground so u arent seen and no evidence. It'll ding a fin and not rotate anymore.

Also blunt tip because shooting arrows in town...
>>
>>1312215
Well fuck anon. Just throw rocks at it until it stops...
>>
>>1312297
KEK

op, record the noise. Amplify it loundly.
>>
>>1312215
That's not a fan, it's a turbine vent
>>
File: Squeaky-Fan-Problem.jpg (135 KB, 975x1200)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
No talk.
We are men of action.
>>
>>1312212
This is the best also put in acouple demands
>>
>>1312177
>You know. Talking. Like a person would.
+1000

Talking seems become a rare skill these days. Or are we on a board full of autists?
>>
Shot it with an arrow so it doesn't turn any more, and if he decides to go on the roof to fix it he may consider oiling it
>>
>>1312768
absolute madman
I like it
>>
Reminds me of this youtube classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isgIxk6sgRk
>>
>>1312858
Normie begone.
>>
>>1312176
Get two or three of your friends in on it and have them write letters all pretending to live on different sides of the guy. Multiple requests make the recipient less likely to feel like you're an asshole for asking, and more likely to feel like an asshole himself if he does nothing.
>>
Carve it into his front door or burn it into his lawn if his face isnt available.
>>
>>1312858
>Talking seems become a rare skill these days. Or are we on a board full of autists?

No, we are a world of kids growing up on computers and smartphones who no longer have to talk to communicate. I'm sure we've all seen 2 people texting each other at the same fucking table.
>>
>>1312176
>wd40

bunch of savages in this town
>>
>>1312858
Yes, I was trying to talk to a younger man at work today and his brain fucking shut down and he could not have a conversation

Not even trying to be funny or anything. I wanted to talk to this kid and he sperged out.
>>
File: Ya-Bender-83L.gif (14 KB, 150x181)
14 KB
14 KB GIF
>>1312176
>neighbor has squeaky fan
>neighbor is never home
>climb on roof
>jamb something in the damn ventilator to stop it moving
>tfw who cares about your shitty neighbor and his squeaky fan but now you can sleep peacefully
>>
>>1313388
>I'm sure we've all seen 2 people texting each other at the same fucking table.

you mean as in 2 people at one table?

No. We have not all seen this sort of bizarro behavior, and hope we never do. Unless it's some kind of California shit where they have to sign an electronic contract before they can touch each other.
>>
>>1312768
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isgIxk6sgRk
>>
Same boat
>neighbors on the upper floor
>all fat as shit, their walking sounds like Jurrasic park roleplay
>DUM DUM DUM IN THE DEPTHS
>all of their hingers
>ALL OF THEM SQUEAK
>thought about taping a small bottle of WD40 onto their door
>>
>>1312355
Then bill him for the custom weather vain.
>>
>>1312176
I love this misnomer.

We really should make wd40 the official lubricant of diy. It's as effective as a lubricant as diy is with these threads.
>>
>>1312275

its a TURBINE VENT there is no motor or electricity. they solely work on moving air aka hit air that rises escapes making it turn which then draws out more air.

it cant catch fire from simply turning you fucking moron
>>
Get a drone and load it with water balloons filled with clipper oil, then carpet bomb the vent and get the drone back to safety.
>>
>>1312176
>buy house with neighbors
>complain about having neighbors
you should really think your life decisions through, you dumb nigger
>>
>>1313469
If you play the theme song while it's going on, it's like getting the IMAX Explerience for free.

Every night!
>>
>>1313751
Drones are rather pricey. It'd be way cheaper to get a $20 R/C plane filled with oil, then allah ackbar it into the vent.
>>
>>1312176
Whats your budget?
The best option without involving talking to your neighbor is to buy a crossbow (or regular bow) and shoot an arrow into it.
It will jam the fan and your problem is solved.
>>
>>1312768
total sleeper solution. This is like rolling a natural 20
>>
>>1313979
except for the stream of lube leading straight to OPs butthole (or yard depending on delivery method).
>>
>>1313469
thats not what WD40 is for.
you want a thicker grease like a light lithium grease
>>
File: IMG_7873.jpg (33 KB, 331x318)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>1312768
OP here, fuck I'm dying. All else fails this will be my backup plan
>>
OP you can't simply grease or oil those. They are meant to fail and meant to never use grease or oil. You just need to replace them once they start to squeak. Replace them with a static vent that does not move. If you try to grease or oil those, they will just get far worse from particulate matter catching and building up. Basically, greasing or oiling them will cause them to fail. If you tried just grease, the viscosity of grease would probably cause the turbine to stop completely. The vent turbine is a mini-VAWT that uses passing wind to create suction, drawing air out of the roof to increase air flow. There's no motor inside and no hot air pushing from inside against it.

They are terrible and shouldn't be used. There are other, better venting systems that don't have moving parts.
>>
>>1314020
don't post pics of that dumb monkey suit
>>
>>1314075
whirly birds are great.
also its not the bearing or lube or whatever shit you think it is that's making it squeak. it's large animals like birds jumping on them. this bends them so it scrapes every rotation.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-26/corellas-go-for-a-whirl-on-rooftop-air-vent/8745104

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.