[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 26 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: mxewqltgudria8bltjru.png (37 KB, 620x290)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
Pocket laptop.

What kind of pocket laptop would you guys recommend for running tails or kali linux.
>>
>>1313116

cool. pocket laptop.

I still use an asus 2g surf. they called them netbooks back then.

it's tiny and underpowered and you can't touch type on the keyboard unless you have midget hands, but I love it. I mainly use it to write code for AVRs and then flash them, and to keep files offline like password shit and spreadsheet backups.

of course you'd have to be insane to use it for much of anything else.
>>
File: astronaut_cat.jpg (61 KB, 400x497)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>1313149
Thanks brother. But can it run os like kali, black arch and tails. Even 32bit would do just fine for me.
>>
>>1313116
Shieet niggah u can use a fucking (dare i say it) pi.

If you want pentesting your nic must support promiscuous mode. Otherwise not much else matters.
>>
>>1313116
Ask /g/
>>
>>1313116
>>>/g/
>kali, tails
Underage please leave
>>
Why can't you retards ever say for what do you need it?
>>
>>1313478
Same reason they can't post detailed info on other shit they work on unless waterboarded.
>>
>>1313478
>Why can't you retards ever say for what do you need it?

Wow. Torture english much?

Anyway, OP said he wants to run tails or kali linux, so I'd say that's for what he does need it.
>>
>>1313150
They still make netbooks, but the older ones are better. Most of the newer ones have their RAM and storage solder on.

Get the Following, if you are getting an older Netbook
A Dual Core Atom one.
RAM isn't solder on and upgrade to 2GB+ (DDR2/3 RAM).
SATA HDD and replace it with a SSD.
Replace the WiFi Card with something better.
>>
>>1313564
Forgot to say that most new ones can run Linux but its a hit and miss when it comes to the sound, wifi, and other hardware on them.
>>
Just use a phone dingus
>>
>>1313588
This would unironically be a great answer if someone made a not-shit laptop dock for them. People have been running ARM Linux distros using chroot and VNC for almost a decade, and I used Bluetooth shit and an HDMI adapter to turn my Galaxy S2 into a quasi-desktop back several years ago. A good laptop style dock for my S6 with an ARM Linux chroot installation would be great for productivity shit and anything that isn't gayman.
>>
>kali
>tails
I'd bet 1 dogecoin this faggot wants to order drugs online with tails and use kali to pentest for btc to support his degenerate habit.
>>
>>1313601
Your choices of adapters are bretty good these days, but most don't charge the phone in use though the Samsung docks charge their phones and you could gut one to rearrange as desired.
>>
>>1313478
>kali
Take a wild guess
>>
>>1313149
>not using you're pocket laptop as your main computer
Ok grandpa. Keep using your mainframe.
>>
>>1313478
What's the matter officer? Too little information?
>>
>>1313601
How can android be even usable as a proper laptop or desktop? It's a toy OS. And wouldn't installing distros on it be a driver headache?
>>
>>1313515
LOLZ!

I have a Lenovo S100C netbook and it is painfully slow. Main reason I got it was so I could connect to a projector to do presentations etc.
I loved it at the time but not so much any more. Running Windows 7 starter (like most netbooks)

On my main computer I have installed ubuntu which led to more problems, mainly external monitor not being compatible with the drivers, and no support. I think on an old netbook you're asking for more compatibility problems.
>>
>>1313515
I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go. Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.
>>
>>1314155
>allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment
>55

Guilty, check em.
>>
>>1313150
Netbooks will run Linux fine. If it runs debian, it runs kali. Just keep in mind that kali uses GNOME (a bitch to run on older stuff) so you may wanna go with XFCE4 or whatever they put in there nowadays.

I run debian 9 for stability on my X200 and install the dependencies for H A C K E R M A N stuff later.

To clarify: thinkpad X200 is NOT a pocket laptop, but it's fucking old. I use it as an example to show you that it's possible to run new linux on old junk.

Tails will run anywhere from my experience.

If you want to DIY shit together, here's something you might like:

https://youtu.be/bBcZeElCxxk

The pi can crack WEP and WPS, but if you expect it to run any kind of hash crack, you're shit out of luck. I presume, however, you know that and only wanna sniff for stuff and use the aircrack-ng suite.
>>
>>1314155
As a translator, I find your attitude to OP very homophonic and quite frankly, he deserves it.
>>
>>1314253
Sorry for replying to myself, I just have to add this:

You may find your wifi card can't monitor shit. If you get an alfa card, you should be good, but still check the drivers. My Nexus 5x didn't have the atheros driver, but now it cracks wifi like nobody's business.
>>
>>1314102
With chroot, it's fine. Check NetHunter, it's really well-made and can be SSH'd into. I understand people's need for a GUI, but it has enough horsepower in chroot.

As for the drivers, I needed Alfa drivers for ath9k_something. Apt-get, done. Card works!
>>
>>1314137
>painfully slow
>Windows 7
Yeah. I understand you like/need windows, but I ran ubuntu 9.10 on shit hardware no problem (HDD, 256MB RAM). Swap in a small SSD and you should be golden (maybe).

As for the driver issues, I agree, but as with all things linux, you will find a sperg coder who uses that AND ONLY THAT laptop, so he home-builds all his shit and posts on github.
>>
File: gojirawtf.jpg (82 KB, 1280x974)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>1313899
>>1313374
>>1313478
>>1313492
>>1314155
>>1314258

OPhere. Looolz mah niggas. I was just curious if i could run those os on a pocket size computer.
Also was kinda inspired by the scene from Terminator salvation where Christian Bale hacks that robot bike thing.
>>
>>1314632
Also am not 12 BTW.please stop blasting eachother for stupid stuff people.
>>
>>1314632
Sure you can. Follow hackingdave, he fucking ran Kismet on a pocketCHIP. Pocket enough?

also, what exact hacking are you planning to do? Fuck "running kali", say what programs or what hacking area you looking for.
>>
>>1314102
Not when I did it. Ubuntu 12.something went on easy as piss and everything worked fine. Almost anything open source can be compiled for ARM with a tweak of the compiler settings and drivers usually aren't a problem if you're using a flagship device.
>>
>>1314654
Am new to hacking and stuff. Well I admit that I am a codekitty.
Well all I want to use is metasploit, armitage, xss beef etc
>>
>>1314660
Also if i could run other os like black arch, parrot os and tails would be cool.
>>
File: 1515424671253.jpg (126 KB, 604x516)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>1313564
>>1314260
>>1313565
>>1313515
>>1313203
>>1314253
>>1313601
>>1313905
>>1314137
>>1314253
>>1314262
>>1314264
>>1314654
>>1314655
OP here, thank you brothers, but i just discovered a new thing called "Gemini" pocket pc.
Does anyone know about it?
Is it better than GPD win?
Does it have better keyboard layout and support for linux distros?
Please let me know if anyone knows about this stuff. Am curious AF.
>>
>>1313150
Of course it can. They came with Linux, and you can run any variant on them.

Asus has much-improved small laptops now, though. I drag around an E200HA (current model is the E203NA). Only problem with it is that UEFI is locked on it, so you can only boot images that someone has signed -- and Microsoft refuses to release the cryptographic key for signing your own, they've only given keys out to a few distro makers. Also, the UEFI fucks up the boot process about half the time, which screws up the flash drive, which means having to fsck the flash drive on another machine so that it can be booted from again.
>>
>>1314856
Oh nice, thanks bro.
>>
>>1314660
OK, have you used Linux before?
>>
>>1314856
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix-uefi-en.html
>>
>>1313116
i'm running ubuntu on a shitty chrome book for coding, kali would work fine. any used laptop would be fine to be honest but would just run slower.
the chrome book was 150 or so and runs smooth though, it's set up for a shell.
if you wanna be a spook about it you should get an old laptop, remove the hard drive, and run kali of a bootable flash drive
>>
>>1313373
/g/ is useless and a cancer board
>>
>>1313116
make a custom one using a raspberry pi, otherwise i carry a backpack with a laptop in it running ubuntu studio edition
>>
>>1313116
Install gentoo
>>
>>1315367
Keked so hard

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.