[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 46 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Hey /Doy/, I’m starting to work with leather and I’d like to ask you what you think I can make or do to get good at it, like if making small pouches is good practice or making leather coasters for example.
A little short on cash but I got some 8 ounce leather (about 12” by 18” left I think), although if I need to buy some more pieces i can bite the prices.
>>
>>1315744
big if true
>>
>>1317535
Sizable if verified
>>
>>1315744
Make wallets for your friends
>>
>>1315744
I need a new case for my leatherman
>>
what? no leather thread?

craft stores sell scrap pieces in bags for under $10....biggest pieces are only 6x6 or so, but plenty of strips to make small sheathes and stuff

get some bolts
make them into basic shape stamps
wet form some phone cases
add basic designs
flip
repeat
>>
>>1318699
>craft stores sell scrap pieces in bags for under $10....
i have never seen this
>>
>>1318784
Live somewhere better.
>>
make book covers for me
>>
>>1318784
if you have a hobby lobby, look there

regular price is $8.99 I believe, use a 40% off coupon to get it even cheaper
>>
>>1318699
Thanks for the suggestions, I picked up a good set of stamps and some tools, I work with steel most of the time so I’ll probably make some custom stamps with a grinder and a Dremel. Thanks again!
>>1318887
Also pretty good suggestion, I’ll probably do that and some leather book markers wouldn’t be too bad, if you want them then good luck finding them!
>>
I have a gunbelt i need to shorten, problem is it has a steel core. How would i do this?
>>
>>1315744
Make something you can sell on ebay. Something artistic and utilitarian. Look for trends.
>>
>>1318941
Try cutting it
>>
File: IMG_20170219_105655_858.jpg (1.24 MB, 1562x1562)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB JPG
I started out with doing purses clutches and wallets. Try a brush or tool roll.... As far as supply tandy leather has great deals across the nation. Especially the double shoulder designer.
>>
File: Message_1483579414531.jpg (2.67 MB, 4160x2340)
2.67 MB
2.67 MB JPG
Head phone clip
>>
>>1318887
Are you the same faggot that keeps posting once in every leather thread for info on bookbinding, then fucking off till the next thread--necer bothering to use any of the info given to you?
>>
>>1319542
no, I know how to search for my own stuff
>>
Make some Messenger bags try yo make a real brand
>>
>>1319299
>>1319300
that all looks like dogshit.
>>
I'll ask here. I'm looking to make traditional puukko sheaths and what I have noticed about my 1923 puukko is:

1). The leather is incredibly thin (probably reindeer)
2). It is hardened. Not by age, but surely by design.

So, my questions:

1). Where can I find thin leather?
2). How to "harden"?
>>
>¾" x 10" strip of decent full grain veg tan
>bit of tooling
>punch a couple of holes and add a screw post
>sell as watch strap for $40 on etsy
>>
>>1321512
Leather thickness is measured in oz. I 5oz thick piece of leather will be fairly thin, and an 8oz piece will be much thicker. Refer to the chart for an estimation.

Veg tanned leather is easily hardened by a quick dip in warm soapy water, molded around the object and then allowed to dry. Gentle use of an oven can aid this process. Google wet forming leather.
When choosing your leather, people generally avoid belly cuts for holsters and sheathes because it stretches more over time. Shoulders generally don't come in anything much thinner than 6oz, and while there are ways to thin it down, I don't have any of that shit and generally lean towards using thicker than necessary in my projects if I have to choose. I believe the term is called skivving.
>>
File: DSCF6127.jpg (957 KB, 1000x1000)
957 KB
957 KB JPG
messed around with a small single piece pouch pattern
>>
>>1321824
Thanks a lot for the info.
>>
>>1322421
Nice, I like how it came out!
Are you happy with it?
>>
File: DSCF6128.jpg (781 KB, 1000x1000)
781 KB
781 KB JPG
>>1322541
Yeah definitely. One of my friends actually offered to buy one!
I also tested out a belt pouch
>>
File: DSCF6129.jpg (894 KB, 1000x1000)
894 KB
894 KB JPG
>>1322587
and the back
>>
>>1322587
>>1322589
Wow that’s great, do you sell leather goods online? I’m asking because it looks like you have experience making these pouches
>>
>>1322728
No not at all. I've only been doing basic leatherworking for maybe 6 months. I started with wet forming knife sheaths and then tried to copy a bestmadeco.com gfeller document case and learned that wetforming is stupidly easy and the leather is really flexible. I make an mdf positive mold and then a plywood ring to clamp the leather down. I also switched from 8oz leather for my first document case to about 5oz for those two new pouches.
>>
File: DSCF6131.jpg (1.03 MB, 1000x1000)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
>>1322933
Heres my copy
>>
File: DSCF6132.jpg (1.03 MB, 1000x1000)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
>>1322934
>>
File: fuzzeh-hat.jpg (590 KB, 1152x1280)
590 KB
590 KB JPG
>>1315744
Made this for my friend.
>>
suggestions on where to get eyelets? I didn't get out the micrometer but I believe it would need to have a 3/16" ID (to use with a teklok)

I know hobby lobby carries them, but I don't think they would be long enough to go through a few layers, 3/8-1/2" deep
>>
>>1323646
Get some brass tube stock and flare it yourself. Flared over a brass washer on each side could be pretty neat looking.
>>
File: Finishing_Washer.jpg (7 KB, 500x500)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>1323647
yup, that's what I'm thinking....I cannot find much of anything apart from posts by people with the same issue

hobby lobby also happens to sell packs of 12" tube, and I doubt I'd get it as cheap (with coupon)

you mean a washer like a flat one, or like in the pic?
>>
>>1323797
Sure, that washer could do. I was just thinking in terms of what I have laying around, and I have flat brass washers.
>>
Good job, this thread really got me interested hard in leatherworking.
>>
File: 20180201_113506.jpg (1.54 MB, 1349x2091)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB JPG
Might have to take on a job that requires me to wear something a little more conservative than my usual go-to belt (yellow and oxblood 1.75" wide and over a quarter inch thick beast with a Batman belt buckle) and had some spare strips of 1.5" leather.
Not at all impressive from a crafting skills perspective, but it's nice being able to knock out a belt that'll last a lifetime for maybe $20 in materials I already had on hand.

Not much time for leather working at the moment. Did this over the course of a few hours between classes.
>>
>>1318909
>I work with steel most of the time so I’ll probably make some custom stamps with a grinder and a Dremel.

Brass is better.
aside from softer to shape, steel can stain vegetable-tanned leathers. So copper-alloys are preferential for stamps or similar that might be impressed into the surface.
>>
>>1324412
Thanks Anon! I didn’t know steel could stain leather, I haven’t seen much steel used in leather related tooling and thought it was because brass was nicer looking and preferred
>>
>>1322936
That's sexy anon
>>
whelp...first attempt did not go too well >>1323646

I did get some dapping punches but I'll have to make something to hold one upright so I can hold the other punch on top of the tube while I hammer

also need to get a ball peen hammer
>>
>>1326662
Try mounting (even hot-gluing if you need) a ball and socket armature onto a clamp, you'll be able to use it in other projects too and the clamp will obviously still function as a clamp.
Btw you could try either alligator clips or a smaller clamp onto the other end of the armature.
Hope this helps!
>>
>>1326713
to hold a punch? I meant like a scrap piece of wood with a hole drilled in it

I'd almost prefer to use a ball bearing like this guy did: http://www.instructables.com/id/Copper-eyelets-for-leather-working/
>>
File: 1 (5).jpg (226 KB, 1600x1200)
226 KB
226 KB JPG
Here`s a tool bag I just finished up. Here`s my advice. People LOVE leather goods. Even if the quality is poor.

Even poor quality leather goods have a cool medieval or survivalist style.
>>
File: etui case.jpg (979 KB, 4000x3000)
979 KB
979 KB JPG
>>1326737
As a historian, I suspect you would be horribly depressed by the actual quality of medieval leatherwork, because it is far, far more intricate than you imagine.
>>
Where's a good place to buy patterns? I bought a couple of Stohlman books but I'm more interested in making bags and sheaths than carving.
>>
>>1315744
iv got a few leather belts that are about done. what can i make with them?
>>
Is it easy to make a wet form leather knife sheath? Anything I need to know?

Me and a couple of the lads at work just made our first knives and I would like to make my own sheath but I'd like it to be a nice fit.

Thanks bros
>>
>>1326965
>Is it easy to make a wet form leather knife sheath?
Very easy.

>Anything I need to know?
Leather absorbs moisture and will accelerate rusting? Not much you need to know about it. Get veg tanned leather, and watch a few YouTube videos. It's easy as fuck.
>>
>>1327143
Thanks mate, will take the plunge then, have just ordered some veg tanned leather.
>>
>>1326737
that looks good
can you post an image of it being open?
>>
>>1326931
http://www.instructables.com/id/Handcrafted-Leather-Messenger/

This one gives you measurements for the leather pieces u need and also a guide how to assemble it.
Theres also a lot more guides for bags on the site, some of them come with free patterns.
>>
File: 20180207_014519.jpg (2.1 MB, 2029x1440)
2.1 MB
2.1 MB JPG
>>1327314
You'll also want an exacto blade knife, a stitching awl or punch set (I prefer the fork style ones for making stitching holes), some beefy needles and beefy thread. Depending on how much you want to spend, you can cheap out on most of those things and still get fully functional results.

Pictured is some very basic stuff I use on every project. I could get by making just about anything with just these.
>>
>>1327346
And after wet forming, the leather will be pretty dried out. Neatsfoot oil is the go-to for adding moisture back into the leather and keeping it from becoming brittle.
I like Leather Honey, though. After that you can optionally seal it with something like Resoline or leave as-is.
>>
>>1327346
>>1327349
Thanks, I bought a cheap set of basic tools from Amazon with the intention of buying whichever ones I use most or feel the need to upgrade.

Thanks for the help :)
>>
bump
>>
>>1318699
>craft stores sell scrap pieces in bags for under $10
I've bought a bag like this but the pieces are already colored (dyed?). Does this mean I can't wetform them anymore? Just starting out here but I have all the tools.
>>
>>1330694
you can still try it and see what happens

I haven't done it with commercially dyed pieces yet
>>
>>1330694
If it's veg tanned, it should still wet form. The dye shouldn't have changed the characteristics much if at all. Maybe a little more dried out than is ideal, but you'll need to condition the leather after wet forming anyways.
>>
File: 20180210_174206.jpg (3.48 MB, 5312x2988)
3.48 MB
3.48 MB JPG
Fucking off on a big piece.
>>
>>1330919
What do people recommend for treating the leather? I was thinking mineral oil and then later on polishing it up with a stinky smoo I've got mixed up with some bee and carnauba wax.
(Its a sheath for a survival/hunting knife I've recently made)
>>
>>1331265
I recommend Leather Honey, but there's tons of products designed for this purpose. Mineral oil will quickly destroy the leather.
Pure neatsfoot oil is what most people go for.
>>
>>1331274
Cool, good to know. I might have some dubbin squirreled away somewhere. At the moment its harder than a bachelors cock on date night so it really needs something to get it slightly bendy
>>
>>1326945
Bracelets and straps, depends on the type of leather though (mostly thickness but if it’s one of those crappy ones that are like pained black and made of split leather then you might not want to actually use it)

So you got bracelets and straps or alternatively you can stitch it together for a stitched death for something, probably won’t be too pretty though unless you got half an idea what you’re doing and take your time with it.

Or you can get creative and come up with something I obviously overlooked or didn’t think of, good luck with whatever you end up trying!
>>
>>1331295
Don't put anything on it till after you wet form it. It will get very floppy when wet and as it dries will hold its shape much better. You're not aiming for a bendable finished product.
>>
I'm looking for a good diamond awl since I've been using an el-cheapo round tapering awl that came with a Chinese kit I'm seeing this Osborne one on Amazon and also the vergez blanchard one without a handle, I'll make a handle myself if necessary but I want a nice blade. Opinions on good value brands and totally necessary tool upgrades from shitty crapola
>>
File: 20180215_013001.jpg (1.56 MB, 2560x1440)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB JPG
>>1331904
Don't know how dead set you are on keeping with the simple awl, but I am a pretty fucking impressed by my set of stitching chisels or whatever they're called. Can't remember where I got them, but remember them being surprisingly inexpensive for the quality.
They are stamped "Leather Craft.jp" so that's a lead.
>>
File: 20180215_013259.jpg (624 KB, 1130x919)
624 KB
624 KB JPG
>>1332107
>>
>>1332107
I already have those but sometimes I need something I can just push through to make a nicer hole to sew from. Basically I use those to set the spacing and use the awl to finish the hole, especially on really soft thick leather that has a lot of give.
>>
File: 2018-2 hunter.jpg (262 KB, 1920x924)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
>>1331309
Well, the bendy bits that need to be bendy are, the rest has an F4 liner down the insides to keep the blade off the leather.
Aside from that, first leatherworking I've done in about 10 or so years and I think maybe the last for a while as I'm just not real good with beating dead cows into shape.
>>
>>1332725
I've seen worse, and it looks functional.
When you say "beating," like, did you actually bang on the leather with something? I've never heard of anyone taking that approach.
>>
For folks looking for leather: http://springfieldleather.com

It's a two and a half hour drive to the nearest Tandy for me so I order from here quite often.
>>
First belt in a dogs age. Sharpening the swivel knife works wonders
>>
>>1333994
Pretty
>>
File: FB_IMG_1519082780025.jpg (152 KB, 1152x2048)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
Gotta get ready for larp season.
>>
>>1333204
They also have some fantastic videos on YouTube
>>
Bump
>>
Total newfag here but very interested.
What would be a good beginner kit of tools?
Nothing fancy, just what you dould deem indispensable for the job.
Thank you in advance for eventual answers
>>
>>1337531
Poly mallet
Cut surface
Solid hammering surface
A good knife
Swivel knife
A beginner stamp pack [8pc, whatever]
Rotary punch
Rivets
Grommets
Dyes, sealants, antiques
Threads
Etc.

You can make due with the first 6 I guess.
>>
>>1337719
Then you'd get slickers, edge bevelers, slivers, swap out the rotary for mallet punches, upgrade to a ceramic swivel knife, buy way too many stamps, conchos, and bits and bobs.

Multiple separate cut mats, a punch mat, a good marking pen or two, sewing awl..
>>
Test using scraps before you get to projects its the best way to know what your working with
>>
how do you guys tie off waxed thread? I've noticed that most knots wil start to slip given a decent load, especially considering they're literally coated in lubricant

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.