[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Hey guys /k/ here, I am very poor and can't afford to buy new shoes. These finally busted, how do I fix. I used the only adhesive I could find (some kind of tetrahydrachlorine? Fabric adhesive, but it didn't hold)

Can I cut a thin small sheet of steel and use some screws to hold it together? I've got access to metal and welding equipment for cutting. I was thinking a 4x2 1/16th should work but I ain't sure.

Worse comes to worse I'll find a busted tire on the side of the highway and cut me a sole outta that and just hobnail the entire thing.

I asked my brother to mail me some boots I had up there but he might not and they ain't steel toe. Plus they top lacing and I'll burn the laces up.
>>
>>1322384
Buy new boots, Ivan.
>>
>>1322384
They busted right where I bend my toes when I walk. Any glue would work on a flat spot but the bending has me befuddled. I figure the steel would maybe leave me flat footed but at least the rubber wouldn't split no more.

You figure I may as well just get me a tire and hobnail em? It'll probably add an 1/8th inch to the height whichll take some getting used to but hell, better than leave em till the leather starts to go. Then I'll be in a spot.
>>
>>1322384
Become a capitalist, or try Goodwill
>>
>>1322388
I would cepting times being so lean. I won't have any money till bout the 9th of next month. I hate to just toss a pair of good boots over a busted sole anyway. If my grandpa was alive I'd ask em him they'd have fixed em in his day, but I never thought about it fore he died. He never wore shoes in the summer noways, daddy always bought some round Christmas for em.
>>
>>1322392
Goodwill will be option C. I live out in East Texas now, ain't nobody tossing nothing, especially good boots.
>>
>>1322395
Shoe Goo (tm) is my go-to when the sole peels off, but that appears to be un-repairable unless you have a new sole to apply. But if you want to try, it's sold at Walmart. Get it clean of dirt and grease, and dry as possible, then use a bunch
>>
>>1322399
Like "cook it with a hair dryer" dry.
>>
>>1322399
I hear.good things about that but like I say I cant afford it right now. All I can figure is what I can do with my own hands.
>>
>>1322384
Id say your best bet is to buy a can of that flex seal stuff they advertise on tv, you can also get it at Wal-Mart or just about anystore that sells as seen on tv stuff. Use some boards or a couple of heavy bricks to hold the shoe in the bent position so the tear in the rubber is fully open and spay the hell out of it. Possibly multiple layers depending on how thick it goes on, and cut off any excess after it cures.
>>
Tires suck to cut if they are steel belted like everything remotely recent in the US so forget those because even if you cut them with a zip disk sewing them on would be near impossible. Lawn tractor and other light and specialty tires aren't steel belted and could be hobnailed though retention would be questionable since rubber to rubber.

Most recent boots aren't designed to be repaired. I stick with milsurp steeltoes for durability and low cost and next time get spare boots before you need them. Having one set is like buying asswipe by the sheet, especially if you work in trades. Spare laces, preferably leather since you are around hot work are a good idea.

You could try flea markets but they usually get cleaned out of common sizes and driving costs money.

Maybe there's a social solution. Offer to do odd jobs or something someone you work with REALLY doesn't want to do but you are able to in return for boot monies. If they need a trench dug, shovels work just fine. Need a barn cleaned out? Diapers stuck to Grandma's clam? Do what ya need to do and FFS learn to weld and fit so you don't starve forever. Also cover that stupid ink when looking for jobs.
>>
You need to set your priorities

>Spend money on tattoo
>Spend money on footwear

Choose one
>>
>>1322404
Then just deal with it and be careful where you step.
>>
File: 15024681.jpg (99 KB, 1200x1200)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
This works wonders
>>
Those soles haven't actually come off yet and you refuse to wear them?

First world problems I tell ya
>>
If you bend in a little more than you are now and keep it bent like that say by lifting a chair or sofa edge up and wedge it under, then use black silicone caulking, let it dry 24 hours or longer then remove from under chair/sofa. (That way, it will not rip apart immediately when it flexes which each step). It will not be permanent but should last a bit...
>>
>>1322384
KYS commie shit
>>
>>1322411
Implying that tattoo isn't 10 years old. I mean fuck look at the wear.

Thanks for the help fellas.
>>
>>1322384
Just ask uncle Joe for a new pair.
>>
>commie
>poor
>>
>>1322449
That's what you get for being commie trash. Everyone hates you. kys.
>>
Get a tube of Henry's wetpatch. Load the caulking gun, spread the cracks open and lay a nice bead.
>>
>>1322393
You can't fix those, they're cemented soles.
>>
File: pooped.jpg (116 KB, 588x626)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>1322384

Hey bro I fix my shoes all the time, shoe goo is junk dont use it, what you need for those cracks is construction adhesive and sealant. it bonds to the sole making it one piece, for sole separation I would use barge cement or a strong contact cement. Watch this video and see how good construction adhesive works for this application.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcmz1UMLIOo
>>
>>1322384
If you're super cheapo then get some silicon caulk, squirt a little into some cornstarch and mix, then shove it into your shoes and hope it lasts. rinse and repeat a few dozen times with a single tube.
>>
File: 58Fq2si.jpg (2.05 MB, 3264x2448)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
Dear comrade

Find a local shoe repair / cobbler shop

They put a new "vibram" sole on my boots for less than $50
>>
File: Onoff.jpg (15 KB, 300x267)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>1324230
Those are some nice shoes, goddangit
>>
>>1322384

intentionally take picture so stupid tattoo is showing

showing off to people on the internet
to people on 4chan
to people on /diy/
lol
>>
>>1322384
>Cuckmunist tattoo
>Is poor

Get a fucking job you lazy cuck
>>
Go fuck yourself you asshole
>>
>>1322384
Fuck off and die. I do not help Communists aside from helping to meet their Maker as soon as possible.

Fucking die. I would skin that tattoo off of you while you were still alive and make you eat it, cunt.

t. Finn
>>
>>1322384
>literally shoots dollars for fun
>i'm very poor
not to mention you are dumb as a rock

also as someone who actually live in a ex-commie state i cant help myself but cringe by looking at your retarded tattoo
>>
>>1325316
Estonian? Tere-tere!
>>
>>1325320
Bulgarian
>>
>>1325330
Neat.
>>
>>1322384
go to hell commie
>>
>>1322384

kill some americans then kill yourself you imbecile so Europe can be free t. Lithuanian
>>
>>1325448
this but canadian. i dont care who does it but dead americans = good americans
>>
File: 1516830987136.jpg (85 KB, 500x506)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>1322384
Why don't you go and ask Uncle Stalin to take all the boots from the workers in the hopes that they'll be redistributed back to you?

Or you could just kill yourself?
>>
>>1325453
It's always the most adorable thing when Canadians try to be edgy.
>>
/pol/ b8
saw gay
>>
>>1322411
That sctatch was probably a stick-n-poke
>>
>>1322384
>Poor
>Hammer and sickle tattoo

Figures.
>>
File: IMG_6322.png (1.59 MB, 1334x750)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB PNG
>>1322384
If you post a full picture, including your tattoo and a timestamp, of you renouncing Communism in favor of capitalism, I will buy you any pair of work boots, up to $200.
>>
File: ct1-thumb-222x237.png (27 KB, 222x237)
27 KB
27 KB PNG
>>1322781
(I'm not OP)

Thanks, this looks rad, but I'm very sure that not each and every other constructon sealant will do the trick if you happen to live somewhare where you can't buy this particularal one.
>>
>>1324230
What this guy said. Not only do you get new tread on old, comfy boots, but you keep an old trade alive.
>>
>>1322404
The packet it comes in can easily fit in your pocket Billy Bob anon.
>>
>>1329963

Nice.
>>
>>1329963
thats Heisenbergs pool
>>
>>1325162
So much this.
>>
>>1322384
>that tattoo
No wonder you cant afford a new pair of boots.
>>
Did you draw your tatoo on with a sharpie?
>>
I'm here to help since I do not judge others...
Contact the company and explain the problem
Then acquire a domain name like wolverinebootsripoffdotcom and send them the link.....Explain that once it goes viral on YouBoob and Fakebook...you will enjoy a new pair
>>
>>1322384
Quit wasting money on shit tattoos and use it for quality boots.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.