[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: spotlight1.jpg (154 KB, 540x341)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
Hey diy, first time home buyer here.
Bought a house that had some mold in the crawlspace, and had the seller have it removed. Also had them repair some rotted wood under the bathroom that was visible from the crawlspace.

Unfortunately, a week after thr fixes the house had high mold spores indoors (aspergillus penicillim), and also smells musty inside, especially if I've been out for a while. The mustiness is worse on the closet that has a wall right against the bathroom (under the bathroom is where the old wood rot was). I now believe somewhere in the wall or under the flooring of the bathroom is an active mold problem. What do?? Am I fucked?
>>
call an electrician
>>
>>1330842
Sounds like there's a leak in the bathroom's plumbing. Did you call a plumber or get a home inspection? Do you know what was done to remove the mold? How do you know which spores are in the house? Testing kit?
>>
>>1330857
The mold was small amount of chaetomium, and then the rest was Aspergillus penicillium. I had a home inspection but he didn't note any mold inside the house, only know it was inside because of the air test he did.
>>
>>1330858
Yes, you have little recourse. No, you are not fucked. Man up and rip out the rot. Get a tyveck suit, mask, rubber gloves, trash bags and take care of business. Find the leak or it happens again. Check underneath and see if it is growing on the subfloor, if it is: Rip It Out. No more whining now. Keep a list of expenses, threaten old home owner with not taking care of business (he probably sprayed it with bleach, which is of course not taking care of business). You probably won't have a chance in hell with that, but never know. So, Man Up, Rip It Out.
>>
>>1330861
Thanks for the advice, I'm definitely gonna gear up and knock the closet drywall off to see what I'm dealing with.
>>
>>1330867
Gear up, Anon. It's not always about legalities and civil suits. We learn from our mistakes, and we learn to gut it out and learn something new about life. The Labor is the Reward.
>>
Ensure future ventilation
>>
>>1330867
Build a fucking chamber or you're just going to spread the spores further. Probably not a huge issue, but it keeps it's one less thing to worry about and it makes clean up easier.
>>
>>1330842
Stop being a faggot and put in a lot of opened juice bottles for free booze.
>>
>>1330842
When the basement guys do their thing, they take care of all possible mold, run a dehumidifier until the place dries out and then they put in wall covers and a permanent dehumidifier.

Mold needs moisture to grow. I would open the window, kick the heat up, run a dehumidifier, and then see if it stops growing.

The guy that said call a plumber and the guy that said call an electrician are both right.

Make sure the house has good circulation and ventilation.

The bathroom might have mold under the floor in front of the tub, definitely has some in the walls behind the surround.

Start with drying the place out and then go from there.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.