[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

I intend to purchase a welder in the near future, budget is $200 I do not care if it is MIG or Flux Core just want reccomendations for a cheap but good quality welder
>>
>>1331232
>$200
that should get you a nice used hobart/miller/lincoln (any of these brands is good) stick welder
>>
>>1331236
Ehh I prefer to avoid stick welders but I didn’t think of going for a used welder, maybe ill go for a used Licoln Electric
>>
>>1331254
>good quality
>mig or flux core
> $200

That's not gonna happen, even used.
>>
>>1331232
A welder is a specific answer to what material and thickness you want to weld. Do some reading, the internet is your friend. Due to others butthurt I won't tell you to visit real welding forums. You should rely on /diy/ shitposts for skill development.

You can turn out useful stick welds with a cheap used AC transformer machine (Lincoln, Miller Thunderbolt, Hobart). Many of those outlive their original owners. Study what stick is used for to see if want. If want pic related you'll want stick for fabbing shop equipment.

MIG is the budget go-to for sheet metal but cheap FCAW machines can turn out usable work. Study wire types, they matter. Basic MIG and FCAW videos are plentiful.

You probably won't find an oxy-acetylene rig with cylinders for 200, but they are impressive on sheet metal and you can use the torch to heat and bend metal.

>good quality
>mig or flux core
> $200

Truth.
>>
>>1331232
You're going to need a bigger budget.
>>
>>1331290
It's possible to do some pretty delicate work with stick. I had a roommate in the navy that could do some seriously nice muffler work with an old Lincoln tombstone.
OP seems to have unrealistic expectations, though, so his mileage will likely fall short.
>>
>>1331314
I meant he needs a bigger budget for MIG that he did he wanted. I fully understand the capabilities of stick, but the dude wants MIG, and justifiably so. But even in my area which is probably the most affordable in the world, a good used MIG setup is going to cost you around $600.
>>
>>1331254
>Ehh I prefer to avoid stick welders

Dont be a faggot, thats what you can reasonable afford. Do you understand the extra raw materials that Migs have? You have no wiggle room with your budget
>>
Pic is random thing I welded

>>1331281
Quarter inch, guess ill reconsider stick but much harder to lay nice tight beads with stick plus akward and clunky to use
For quality what I mean is it does what it is supposed to and lasts at least 5~ years. I understand the limited options but thats why im trying to get reccomendations here.

>>1331290
I can go to 300 but that would result in lower quality welding gear and I would have to replace a comfy autodarkening helmet with a shitty always dark helmet

>>1331345
I am content with flux core I did not expect to be able to get a mig for 200 but just thought id throw it out there

>>1331361
See above
>>
>>1331398
>For quality what I mean is it does what it is supposed to and lasts at least 5~ years.

We're all speaking the same language here, we understand the word "quality," but you're asking for at least $500 worth of machine on a $200-300 budget.
Your options are a decent used stick welder, or a questionable flux core Chinese special from Amazon or Harbor Freight.
They'll both likely be able to stick two wrenches together, but only one of them will last over five years and reliably produce a good weld.
>>
>>1331232
Go to a pawnshop
>>
https://www.hobartwelders.com/products/wirefeed/handler100/

That's about as good as it's going to get in flux core and your budget. If you weld much at all with it, odds are you'll grow out of it pretty quickly and feel like you wasted $250.
>>
>>1331398
>▶
its best to learn on stick. also the variety of rods makes it more versatile without having to buy different gases and spools of wire
>>
>>1331438
and flux core is so hard to see what your doing even with premium glass and rectified current. not something you want to cut your teeth on.
>>
File: laugh harder.gif (1.41 MB, 288x198)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB GIF
>>1331430
pawn shops are a ripoff.
>>
Pawnshops usually only have harbor freight 120v wire feeds. craigslist an arc225 or idealarc and pop a gold shade 10 or 11 in ya helmet
>>
you can always add bottle of argon, regulator and torch to turn any ac/dc stick welder into a scratch start tig
>>
>>1331276
This.

Can bite the bullet and get a brand new lincoln/tombstone/cracklebox.

Most of the migs i have seen are near useless for anything other than body work until you get in the $800 range?
>>
>>1331314
I chased ad welded fist sized holes in a 10 wheeler with a stick. And i am a shit welder.
>>
>>1331361
>wiggle room

That's funny. Thats what we call your mom's bedroom
>>
>>1331424
Can confirm.

Bought $200 harbor frieght.

Welded 1 day

Throw shit

Sell for $75 next day.
>>
Pic is another thing I welded

Ok so I think I am going to go the stick welder route, any advice for one to get in the $200~ range?
>>
>>1331232
get a stick. theres one on amazon for 114bux thats decent. save the rest to get a scratch start tig setup going on it
>>
>>1331802
>took Jodie's advice
>went to James F Lincoln Foundation
>browsed projects
>ordered
>waited and received project
>used slots as is
>didnt dial in machine so no spatter
>wrote some shit on the wings

lol

bro when i got my shit i took it to the next level

>decided a Phoenix is better then an eagle
>reversed the wings
>oxy/acetyene neutral flame to bend the wings
>looks like its about to land
>bent the wing tips to give wings more organic look
>ignored the tail slot and welded the tail piece to give it a more dramatic profile
>ground my welds away to make it more seamless
>used flap disk to polish

live a little brother
>>
>>1332137
That would look cool if you hadn't gone fl retard on reversing the wings. Seriously, why?
>>
File: mtgox-phoenix.jpg (606 KB, 1000x658)
606 KB
606 KB JPG
>>1332144
>decided a Phoenix is better then an eagle
>decided a Phoenix is better
>decided a Phoenix
>a Phoenix
>decided

man its like you went and chose to be completely ignorant despite me just posting every single answer and then you ask your question when i just posted every single answer
>>
>>1331232
I have a question that maybe you guys can answer...
I am trying to get a regulator for my CO2 tank (CGA-320) for my aquarium. I don't really want to spend a bunch of money on a new regulator, but I found a remanufactured Victor SR 250D for about $30. However, this regulator has a CGA-540 fitting on it. Is it possible to just change out the fitting? I have heard something about guys doing that for their home-brew CO2. The regulator appears to have the right pressures I need, I'm just not sure that I can use this regulator as it is a oxygen regulator and it has the wrong fitting.
>pic related
>>
>>1331616
wrong

you can get decent performance from a lincoln 140 but be limited in duty cycle and thickness to be welded. price range 450$
>>
>>1332137
Ill do cool shit like that once I get my own welder, I was playing with my friends welder so didn’t have time to customize and make it unique but thanks for the suggestions I like what you did with it.
>>
>>1331549

Depends how smart you are and how well you haggle. I've made bank on Pawn Shops not knowing what they have. Last year I talked my local shop down on a Les Paul that I knew was worth 1200 easy and got it for 500. I sold it in less than a day in CL for 1000.
>>
>>1332156
pretty sure you can get an adapter for that.
>>
>>1332630
I found one on eBay earlier, didn't even think about an adapter I thought I would need to switch the whole end off
>>
File: s-l225.jpg (7 KB, 225x150)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>1332630
>>1332641
Ah shit the adapter I found goes from CGA-320 to CGA-540 but not the other way?
>>
>>1332645
Disregard this I am retarded. It would be CO2 Tank -> Adapter -> regulator so this will work.
>>
You'll need an angle grinder too.
>>
>>1332365
do it brother. the only limits with metal are materials at your disposal and imagination. heres a spider i did on commission. its a scale model of a giant orb weaver spider
>>
Pic is a shitty nameplate I welded for my dad with example welds from different welding processes on the side(I know the pics I have posted aren’t impressive but theyre relevant so ill post them anyways)

>>1332704
I’m currently in college so I would keep my welder at home with my parents, my dad hobby is carpentry so he has the whole 9 yards, angle grinder, sander, belt sander, table saw and I could just get a metal grinding balde for it, steel wool brush etc.

>>1332741
Damn thats impressive, was really only planning to do mostly practical things with it, but you have inspired me to just have fun and make cool things with it, so seriously thanks brother, maybe I could even make a few bucks selling stuff I make and upgrade the welder. You’ve changed my whole perspective on this so thanks again!
>>
>>1332794
When my dad was a welder, he would make weird shit for fun. One Christmas back in the 80s, he made a snowman with 3 nuts for the body and head and a dome nut for a hat with two small pieces of wire for arms and a washer for the base. Kind of neat, I would take a pic but it is packed away in the attic until Christmas. Just let your imagination guide you and have fun!
>>
>>1332156
yes, you can unscrew the tube from the body its just npt threads
>>
>>1332831
I'm ordering a CGA-320 nut and nipple to replace the one that is on there already. Then all I need is a solenoid and need valve and I'm good to go as I have everything else.
>>
>>1331398
>much harder to lay nice tight beads with stick plus akward and clunky to use
Incorrect.
>>
>>1331232
Mow some lawns and increase your budget to 400 and find a used MIG. Anything else is retarded.
>>
>>1332847
I know he's a dumb, but as an alcoholic with shaky hands, I understand. Can't weld a god damn thing until the rod is almost gone. MIG I can handle.
>>
Look for tool auctions in your area and maybe get lucky
>>
>>1333136
>Can't weld a god damn thing until the rod is almost gone.
If your gloves are at least halfway decent, you can grab the stick with one hand while you hold the stinger with the other, for a more stable grip.

The stick will get hot as you go, so you might have to work it around so it doesn't always contact the same part of the glove. And depending on where you need to grip it, you'll have to slide along to avoid the tip.

It may be a little tricky to get used to, but it gives a lot tighter control than just letting the stick flop around. Once you master it, I'm sure you'll be enjoying the whole rod instead of just the finish.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.