[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 65 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

4chan Virtual YouTuber Contest - Submit Designs Here

Questions That Don’t Deserve Their Own Thread

I’ll start with this one:
What is the wire that keeps its shape after you bend it called? I see it in the cabinets at work and want to use it to make custom wires in a pc.
>>
>>1441600
You're not talking about the pic you posted, are you?
The answer is cable ties and cable wrap.
>>
>>1441600
>custom wires in a pc.

which part of a pc would be improved by using custom wiring?
>>
>>1441618
No i couldn’t even find a picture of it. There’s some in the cabinets where I work that have 90deg bends with no supports.
>>
>>1441600
Actually the opposite, single core wire keeps its shape when bent much better than multicore however the application in your picture would be multicore because of exactly that reason it's more flexible so doesn't fatigue or break so easily on parts that move around.
Single core you use point to point on a single circuit board where its not going to move or be disturbed.
The only difference is multicore wire is lots of small strands instead of one big one. That's it.
>>
>>1441600
>What is the wire that keeps its shape after you bend it called?
bend-and-stay, aka solid core copper wire

I use it for control cabinets only because it's compatible with terminals blocks without having to tin the stripper wire ends.
>>
my apartment complex pays for utilities loke gas and water but I have to pay the elelctric bill. how can I leverage the free gas to minimize my electric bill? can I use the gas to power a small generator outside to make electricity for me?
>>
Will isopropanol melt or damage seat foam? I'm replacing my motorcycle seat cover but the foam was exposed to water for a while and I don't want mold n shit to grow under it. I have no idea what kind it is, but it's a Honda from 1980.
>>
>>1441634
You will violate the lease, excessive use/waste is grounds to kick you out.
>>
>>1441655
not in my lease agreement. its a legally binding contract in writing.
>>
>>1441634
>Durr should I run a loud ass generator that can probably make 200 watts max on 0.5psi natural gas that has 1/12th the potential of propane
Use your free gas and free water to make steam and spin a turbine you idiot
>>
>>1441628
Might be that they used solid conductors. (meaning one single copper strand instead of multiple strands of copper wire)
>>
>>1441659
Does the contract explicitly say you can make unapproved gas plumbing modifications and use as much gas as you want?
Oh, it doesn't? Why are you under the impression you wouldn't get taken to court for this?
>>
>>1441664
The backup natural gas generator at my work puts out 75kW, nothing special about the gas line coming in either
>>
File: Sin título.jpg (67 KB, 1193x686)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
When building an exterior brick wall between steel beams, and considering both materials will expand and contract with temperature variations, what do you use to make the joint between the brick wall and the metal waterproof.

>just google it
I tried and couldn't find a concrete answer, also if you know good websites for architectural details pls share too
>>
>>1441634
Buy cheap used gas refrigerator
>>
>>1441626
airflow and organization. exact length cables are fantastic. No more wad of wires behind a panel by the PSU.

also its nice looking, but you knew that you smarmy utilitarian fucker.
>>
>>1441600
uhh... solid core?
>>
File: LED.jpg (129 KB, 640x640)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
How possible is it to make an LED strip look like a neon tube?

There are neon light styled LEDs but they are very expensive and you still need a tube anyway. I know people have kinda done this with EL Wire, but I'm looking to mount it around a whole room.

I was thinking polycarbon tube and cellowrap and/or furniture foam to diffuse the light to not look like many small lights but one big one.

Alternative is to do what they do for lightsabers and just have one powerful ass LED on either end of the tube.

Any other ideas or has anyone done this? I really want to go for that blue and pink neon of the 80s, but without the expensive of real neon tubes.
>>
Stupid retardation but would it be possible to make a morse code machine telegraph whatever you want to call it that I could ship to someone, have one myself, and communicate with that person without using lines or whatever? Serious question.
>>
>>1441935
>concrete answer
>>
>>1442087
you'd still need "lines" in the sense of a wireless connection / internet / phone. I mean what about a telegraph app for your phone - would that fit your needs?
>>
>>1442090

Nah, not really. I was hoping it could be something totally secure, you know? I guess it was but a pipe dream.
>>
>>1442085
Search "silicone tube" on Amazon, find one that's translucent but no transparent. You're gonna have to eyeball it. Secondary, try bringing your LED rope to a hardware store and finding tubing that works. They may not have it though. I'm attempting the first option.
>>
>>1442093
I mean there are apps out there that do end to end encryption.
>>
File: 81GalHelpyL._SX679_.jpg (55 KB, 679x407)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
Which of these tool sets is better for general work around the house or vehicle maintenance, nothing to intensive? Cant do more than $50 since im on a budget so need something that will cover the most used tools/size's and last me a while, also open to other recommendations in price range.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Mechanics-Socket-Set-145-Piece/dp/B074MH432L/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533793410&sr=8-1&keywords=AmazonBasics+Mechanic%27s+Socket+Set+-+145-Piece
or
https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-STMT71653-145-Piece-Mechanics-Tool/dp/B009EMKMBM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1533793433&sr=8-2&keywords=stanley+stmt71653+145-piece+mechanics+tool+set
>>
>>1442093
what is your desired application? why morse code, and not something else?
>>
I have to ship a 4x12 guitar cabinet. I can get a custom box made for ~$50. I figured I'd use foam insulation from home depot, but to get the required 3 inches is gonna be like $60 in foam. And that is CHEAP compared to "shipping foam" which is like 3x as expensive.

Is there any cheaper way to do this padding? Why is packaging foam so fucking expensive?
>>
>>1442105
Not a bad idea. I may try some packaging foam as well and possibly spraying a frost over the tube.
>>
File: IMG_20180806_123418.jpg (1.29 MB, 2688x1512)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB JPG
>>1441600
I have this motor that I'd like to be able to adjust the speed of. Is there like a giant potentiometer or something that I can just put in between switch and motor to achieve this?
>>
I just bought a 9' aluminium ladder off some gypsies and when I got home I noticed it was slightly bent a few degrees at one end from where it presumably fell off a roof before they stole it. Its a little shakey but will be fine as long am I'm not carrying anything heavy on it right?
>>
>>1442190
>implying you'll still have in after the gypsies 't follow you home to steal it back, along with anything else they can grab
>>
>>1442201

I took the back roads to throw them off just in case, although my car is obviously parked at my house. Its ok because I know where they keep their loot so I can lob some petrol bombs if anything untoward happens.

t: gypsy knower
>>
>>1442168
>I'd like to be able to adjust the speed of.
Most likely the speed is determined by the frequency of the ac power source.
>>1442168
>like a giant potentiometer or something
You might be able to vary the speed a little by using a variable frequency power controller.
>>
>>1441932
Keyword "at my work". Residential gas lines are under 1 psi, usually in-between 1/4 to 1/2. Commercial and Industrial installations are usually at the full rated pressure of the feeder pipe, like 50 or 60 PSI I think. Kind of a big difference. Also I'm sure it's not being fed by a quarter inch pipe like gas outlets in a home would be, more like 2 inch or larger to get the amount of flow for a large enough engine to supply 75 kilowatts.
>>
>>1442093
>Nah, not really. I was hoping it could be something totally secure, you know? I guess it was but a pipe dream.

i guess it's theoretically possible. you just need to create a couple of entangled particles, then somehow separate and contain them in boxes that can allow you to modulate a signal on one, while observing the reaction on the other. this requires some advanced physics and funding that may be beyond your MOS.

a more reasonable approach is to create a very long random data stream, known as a one-time pad. XOR your message with the one-time pad and transmit. on the receiving end, XOR the received message with the same one-time pad and read. easy peasy. and it's as secure as your ability to prevent an adversary from accessing the one-time pad. get caught with it, and you're toast.
>>
File: broken screen door.jpg (884 KB, 2656x2988)
884 KB
884 KB JPG
so i've got this broken screen door (pic related). it's some kind of plastic and hollow. i can push the broken ends back together, and i would like to repair it in a way that doesn't look shitty. my idea is to insert some filler into the hollow area, but would like some suggestions on material that is strong and durable, and possibly something that goes in liquid and cures. the obvious expanding insulation seems like a non-starter strength-wise.
>>
>>1441600
the one in pic related is stranded wire
You dont do solid on something that moves or vibrates, they go over a hinge.
But if you take the curve the wire does itself and work with that instead of fighting it will stay in place
>>1441633
dude, ferrules
>>
File: 1.png (57 KB, 1023x700)
57 KB
57 KB PNG
1/2 ---- l want to instaII an RO fiIter system in my basement (the only place where it will fit) that delivers filtered water only to my refrigerator water dispenser on the 1st floor. I want to also redirect the "waste" water back to the water line, which flows to the rest of the house like the toilet, laundry, etc. Which fittings do I need for the waste water flow line? A vacuum breaker to prevent backflow or is this mechanism built already into generic RO filter systems? A pump to overcome the original PEX water line flow pressure? A check valve to prevent PEX water line flow into the waste water line? The first diagram is without the RO filter system. The second diagram is with the system, but I should have drawn another filtered water line from the RO system that flows into another filtered water tank, which will sit in the basement.
>>
File: 2.png (109 KB, 988x821)
109 KB
109 KB PNG
>>1442468
2/2
>>
I'm planning a desk. I can either get the boards cut by a company or buy the equipment and do it myself. In the first case I have to pay quite a bit for shipment as I can't find any place close enough. The big drawback is that I can't see the board beforehand and I'll get whatever they pick from the given category. Shipment + cutting cost would actually cover costs of a circular saw, some profile as a guide, and clamps. So going to the second case, I'd do it with a hand-held circular saw because I have no money and space for a table saw. I would get some aluminium profile to act as a guide and clamp it on both ends of the cut. I'd place the plywood on some insulation board on the ground and set the saw so that it would barely cut through the plywood (and bite a bit into the insulation board). How likely does it seem that I would fuck up cutting? If not that much, what is the kind of insulation board I should be looking for (or any other big cheap board that I could easily cut through)?
>>
>>1442480
Normally people use a saw horse to cut things on.
If you have an old table you can hang one end over that would work.
If you have extra aluminium profile you can lift it with that, put a piece either side of the cut so there is a gap where you cut.
In a pinch i have cut a full sheet of 18mm ply by leaning it at an angle against a wall but that was with a jigsaw and it was fucking hard work. Would not try with a circular saw. Circular is a good choice for straight cuts so stick with it btw.
Use your imagination don't use anything that could get caught like fabric. Outside is a possibility? Off the edge of a wall or even on grass if it's dry.

Ask nonchalantly about cutting services when you order it, around here both big box chain stores and local sawmill types are happy to offer to cut it for you, usually they have a massive fucking panel saw that makes cutting full boards a piece of piss.
Oh yeah, and if you do it indoors it will make a fuckhuge mess and absolutely wear a mask.
Plywood and osb are bad but mdf is absolute shit. Dont even think about cutting mdf indoors.
>>
>>1442484
Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking about cutting fairly big boards (1x1.5m) so I suppose hanging one end over something would be difficult. My biggest concern is cutting a straight edge. I'll hit around local stores and ask about cutting. I actually have two non-right angles (along one edge) and I'm afraid that might reduce the number of places that would cut it. But yeah, getting cut as much as I could would still reduce the number of things I could fuck up.
Also, does anyone know what's up with particle board? Here nobody thinks about making furniture out of plywood and I don't know why. Does America have relatively cheap plywood? You can get laminated particle board for about half the price of raw plywood here (same thickness and area). Or is plywood popular just for DIY projects?
>>
>>1442495
>(1x1.5m) so I suppose hanging one end over something would be difficult.
hanging over an edge unsupported is more for trimming small bits off of edges but if you have a mate to hold the floppy edge as you cut its a definite go.
i wouldn't use chipboard or mdf for anything because it has no strength. people normally use it when there is already a timber frame that supports everything. I would use ply or osb for a tabletop because its reasonably sturdy, chipboard or mdf will sag if you so much as look at it.

angled cuts will fuck you up at most places sorry!

take it easy don't rush, put your guide/fence on the good side of the cut, so if you drift away from the fence you only fuck the waste part. don't push too hard into the fence either and also make sure before you start the the clamps don't get in the way of any part of the saw, very easy to overlook this and have to setup everything twice once you get to the end and realise a clamp is in the way.
>>
File: 1533054389623.jpg (49 KB, 400x600)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
im trying to create a fence system for my cheap weekend warrior table saw without using the table saw. im curious if the mitre slots are the same size on all table saws because i may just buy a heavy duty one.
i mean i can obvsiously resort to getting them done at a shop and screwing everything together but that doesn't seem as rewarding

>>1442255
do you think this will do,

https://www.jaycar.com.au/240v-10a-deluxe-motor-speed-controller-kit/p/KC5478

i have to put it together, but i mean shit, im already balls deep into this. is there a way of slowing the speed down instead of just controlling it? if i put a wheel on the motor end then a belt to a larger wheel will that end up turning slower instead of placing my wheel directly on the motor?
>>
>>1442588
>do you think this will do,
No. That's for 'universal' motors. (AC/DC)>>1442588
>instead of placing my wheel directly on the motor?
Yes, that's call belt drive reduction.
You're probably not trying to do anything that hasn't been done befor.
Just google search for what you want to end up with.
>>
>>1442588
>do you think this will do,
*Note: This project is designed for brush type motors and is not suitable for induction motors or shaded pole motors.

*Note: Not for use with induction motors. See KC-5509 for controlling induction motors.
>>
>>1442614
>>1442588
Sorry dont really know what type of motor I have.
I will use belt reduction thanks.
>>
>>1442223
don't forget to mount the gopro so you can youtube it all later.

So are any gypsy girls hot? They always seem to hide the females somewhere.
>>
>>1442294
uhm, just use gravity. pick a flower, the furthest sun moves. Should be easy to get this working, at least that is what I told the client. So don't fuck this up and lose the client for me - I get a great bonus for bringing this one in.

t. sales
>>
>>1442468
>A vacuum breaker to prevent backflow or is this mechanism built already into generic RO filter systems? A pump to overcome the original PEX water line flow pressure? A check valve to prevent PEX water line flow into the waste water line?

Ive installed several ROs in my own place, but nothing that complex. let see if I can help:

>backflow
One way valves are built in. Depending on how your waste water line is done, you might need an airgap. However, I don't think you will need one.

>pump to overcome pressure
The waterline pressure is what pushes the water through your filter. This is necessary, and I do not think it needs to be overcome. Maybe I'm misunderstanding here.

The tank itself is inflated to provide outgoing pressure to the clean water line ( through your refrigerator )

>A check valve to prevent PEX water line flow into the waste water line

By this you mean your waste water going into the shared waste drain? Normally it just drains under your appliance. Would you be pushing it into a pressurized waste environment? Aren't outgoing drains unpressurized? Or are you worried about waste getting pushed back upwards? I think the oneway valves inside the RO filter cluster would prevent this.
>>
>>1442713
>By this you mean your waste water going into the shared waste drain?
No. He wants to re-use the waste water by re-inserting it into his supply line downstream of the RO filter input.
>>
>>1442803
>No. He wants to re-use the waste water by re-inserting it into his supply line downstream of the RO filter input.

Fuck that noise - you don't want that crap in your potable supply line. We've been trying to figure out some way to make better use of our wastewater, but RO is crap for bathing. Good for watering plants ( apparently, but I'm sceptical ) , washing utencils, shit like that.
>>
File: IMG_9735.jpg (1.73 MB, 3264x2448)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB JPG
I'm trying to bend some plywood.. I keep adding water to the concave end, but shit isn't working. I'm basically coating this fucking thing with water and its still warped as shit and not getting better.
>>
File: IMG_9736.jpg (1.25 MB, 3264x2448)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB JPG
>>1442833
I'm letting the water soak in too.. after 4 times you'd think it would start to warp the right way
>>
File: 61umh-e5foL._SL1100_.jpg (83 KB, 1100x1100)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
Are there drill chuks that I can put 28mm steel tube in them?
I just need that one size nothing more no lathe thingies etc, just need to polish the tube by pressing it into sandpaper with drill
>>
>>1442911
or maybe some bit that goes into tube and enlarges for thight fit?
>>
Looking into buying a new chain for my Echo CS590. Can I just buy an Oregon PowerCut 20" chain or would I need to buy the Oregon bar for it to work? From what I've seen, chains are often, but now always, compatible.
>>
>>1442912
give a slight taper to a short dowel of wood
gently drive it into the tube leaving 25mm sticking out.
drill a small pilot in the center of the wood
screw a wood screw into the pilot hole leaving 20mm sticking out
saw the head off the screw
insert headless screw into chuck and tighten
support the opposite end of the tube so it doesn't flop around as you -s l o w l y- spin it
when you're finished with the sanding, use pliers on the visible 25mm of the dowel to remove it
chuck the
>>
>>1441600
A spring.
>>
>>1442911
Sorry for being a burger but, 28mm is about 1.1 inches. So, you will need a 1¼ inch capacity chuck at least. That is very large for a non-lathe chuck but they did make them.
>>
>>1442833
Flip it over, maybe?
>>
File: IMG_8238.jpg (1.51 MB, 3000x2000)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB JPG
Cable duct thief wanted.

1 Million dollars dead or alive.
>>
>>1443608
I'm doing that currently and have it clamped down - desnt seem to make a difference.
>>
File: goo gone.png (171 KB, 550x680)
171 KB
171 KB PNG
can this damage stainless steel?
>>
>>1443750
Nope.

>>1442833
Heat, get some steam on it.

>>1442707
>So are any gypsy girls hot? They always seem to hide the females somewhere.

Talked to a hot gypsy when in Italy, her little brother (kid?) was trying to pick pocket me during it.

>>1442302
Try working something strong in there like metal, fill with epoxy and let cure. Sand smooth. Idealy you would weld it but it will cost more than epoxy. You can even find white epoxy.

>>1442190
Shim it up when you use it. Should be fine. You could try straightening it since it's aluminum.
>>
>>1441600
How to work with silicone sealant?
I mean, I know how to work with acrylic ones, they don't stick to hands too much, easy to trim and so on. And printable. And silicone - complete pizdec, everytime I use - my hands are in this shit, and bead looks like shit, and everything is dirty
>>
File: 20180809_145613.jpg (2.62 MB, 4128x2322)
2.62 MB
2.62 MB JPG
My house was wired with cat5e going to the phone jacks and one of the electrical boxes is partially behind a cabinet, so they used this off-center bracket with a flat terminating "block". What is this called?
>>
>>1441600
CAT LITTER.

We had one cat and it was fine barely any litter with a standard box and lid. Now we have a 2nd cat, two boxes same setup, but fucking litter everywhere and the dust everywhere.

Fucking gross having piss dust on my stuff.

What do? What works?
>>
>>1443774
Looks like 110 blocks. A 110 took should be able to be used. You might have to take the block off the plate.
>>
>>1442087
You'd both also need a fairly beefy RF transmitter. Kind of negating the need communicate only over morse code.
>>
>>1443792
I built an exhaust vent and ducted their shit smell out the window. it made such a fucking difference. I also got a separate vacuum cleaner I use just for cat litter. get one old school that has bags you throw out. not this new bullshit where I have to fucking clean the vacuum out. who wants to do that?

good job on the 2 boxes - almost no one does that. and you really need 2. I think 2 cats = 2-3 boxes. but 2 worked well for us. especially the domed one, with ducting coming out of the top.
>>
I've read that making drawers might be a bit difficult for the first woodworking project. What exactly is difficult about it? Cutting accurate square angles? Assembling it with precision? If I get nicely cut boards from a professional company, will I have significant chances of making it right?
>>
is it possible to convert a raspberry pi ribbon cable camera to usb? the ribbon camera slot in my ras pi is already in use but none of the usbs are
>>
>>1443771
>everytime I use - my hands are in this shit, and bead looks like shit, and everything is dirty
sounds like you're not very handy
>>
>>1443774
>What is this called?
It's call the back plate for a standard telephone wall jack for wall mounted phone.
The cover is missing.
It's intended to be mounted centered over the utility box.
Your model has punch-down connectors instead of screws.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (122 KB, 941x823)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
"position of ground contac: 6h"

What does that mean?
>>
>>1444226
http://www.mennekes.co.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/Downloads/Prospekte_UK/MENNEKES_Catalogue_UK_IRL_2017.pdf
page 90 onwards
>>
>>1442294
or just use pgp so you don't have to find a secure channel to send the otp to the recipient and you can use the same public key with multiple people without impacting your security.
>>
>>1441600
I showed my power level to my in-laws. Now I'm their 24/7 do it all, on call bitch.

How should I kill myself?
>>
>>1444260
now you've just reduced the security of an unbreakable cipher.
>>
>>1444260
That's dumb, you're dumb. Why encrypt the pad just encrypt the message and fuck the pad.
Or do it properly and never fucking transmit the otp
Or do it sneaky and use a book or something that's available anywhere and doesn't look out of place or suspicious and come up with an arbitrary rule like use every third letter from a chapter based on the day of the week or something.
Otp is impossible to brute force, don't weaken it ffs.
>>
>>1444288
>>1444330
>now you've just reduced the security of an unbreakable cipher.
>Why encrypt the pad just encrypt the message and fuck the pad.
i was suggesting not using the pad at all, and instead opting for pgp.

an issue with otp is that the data stream needs to be as long as the plaintext, and, like every symmetric key algorithm, the key itself has to be communicated between the sender and recipient. since an ideal pad for long-term communication needs to be arbitrarily long and without repetition, this is a pain, especially in the case of communications with multiple people. public key encryption doesn't have to worry about this,

>Otp is impossible to brute force, don't weaken it ffs.
It's also impractical in most use cases.

>That's dumb, you're dumb.
don't bully, friend.
>>
Can I control a motor speed with pwm attached to a mosfet?
trying to control a 9v motor with a 5v chip.
>>
File: 20180719091836_81321.jpg (16 KB, 400x400)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
What's a good laser engraving machine that's both cheap yet strong enough to cut graphite?
Pic related is something close to what im shooting for, though im willing to pay more if it means a stronger cut.
>>
File: arm modify.jpg (493 KB, 1296x972)
493 KB
493 KB JPG
I'm kindof new to fabricating with metal and would like some advice

>pic related
>relocating alternator to opposite side
>recycling pivot bracket
>need to modify the red-arrow'd adjustable arm
>blue-arrow'd bolt shows the thread that the green-arrow'd hole has on the block
>yellow-arrow'd hole is larger than the thickness of the blue-bolt
>also the distance between the green-hole and yellow-hole is a factor
>could possibly use the location of the bolt to the south-east of the green arrow instead of the green-hole

I was thinking of welding a tube (wide enough to accommodate the blue-bolt) into the hole and sourcing a long bolt to sandwich it altogether but I worry the bolt might not stand up to the tension of holding the alternator.

What should I do?
>>
>>1443769
thanks. i ended up doing basically this, sans metal, using a 1-minute epoxy to glue the surfaces back together, then pouring 5-minute epoxy into the space to fill it. it's on the lower hinge corner, so you won't see the holes drilled into it anyway.
>>
>>1444382

yeah, once upon a time, huge datasets were an issue. and maybe they still are if your plan is to send media files. but text is convenient for anyone.
>>
>>1444382
>needs to be arbitrarily long and without repetition,
if you need to send text messages this isn't an issue nowadays. 32GB microsd is what 10 bucks?
you can't really tell me i need an arbitrary length pad WITHOUT REPETITION yet argue for public key.
dont get me wrong i use public key all the time but government suits with fancy quantum computers aren't interested in me looking at memes. not that i believe in quantum computing.
>>
Is there a way to tell a FET from a transistor just by looking at it? I'm amazed when I see people who have never worked on a particular circuit open it up, take a quick glance, and they're already pointing out things like MOSFETs feeding into transistors. Assuming they're right, what's the dead giveaway that lets you know something is a FET and not a transistor?
>>
>>1442085
Find tubing that's very frosted and gives you enough light diffusion, otherwise, no go.
>>
>>1444787
what do you think the T stands for?
package can be a clue, not many bipolar transistors in a t220 case but dont be fooled plent low power fets in to92s.
cheeky we glance at the silkscreen maybe someone labeled the pins..
or i guess if you are fucking megamind you have memorised some of the usual suspect part numbers, fets are usually wanky manufacturer specific by code, bipolars are normally just common numbers.

outside of that there are context clues if you can see how the circuit is set up maybe you can take an educated guess.

of course if you are watching a youtube it might not be the first time the presenter has had a look at it.....
>>
File: DSC_1051-1920x1080.jpg (339 KB, 1920x1080)
339 KB
339 KB JPG
Picture is the cavity between interior wall and exterior brick wall. House is from late 30's.
The gap is probably about 6 inches deep. Not confirmed but I believe it goes to second story uninterrupted. Currently using space for ethernet wiring.

how easy and worth while would it be to add insulation? Should I take advantage of the open space right now with anything? I'm thinking of doing a pvc pipe gangway in a few places to the closets in the second story just incase of future projects.

Thoughts?
>>
>>1445241
Sounds like you got a handle on it. Could probably diy blown insulation and top it up every couple years as it packs down until you reach maximum r value.

Would be worried abput buolding breathing or draining through there or something
>>
File: IMG_9828.jpg (1.6 MB, 3264x2448)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB JPG
>vintage digital scale
>open up battery - one of the copper connections has completely corroded off.

Any thoughts on fixing this fucker? just solder a new piece of copper there so it connects to the battery again?
>>
>>1445241
install conduit and run the cables through the conduit if you plan to insulate it. also it needs to breathe. for that kind of house you need to rup off the weather boards and install foam panels so there is still an air gap. one does not simply block off vented spaces.
>>
Does wax make enough protection for daily use computer desk? I don't think I'm going to scratch the surface much, but I will put on it drinks, plates with hot food and in summer my sweaty hands. Will it endure spilled water assuming I wipe it soon enough?
>>
File: 775.jpg (359 KB, 1769x842)
359 KB
359 KB JPG
Quick question, will this 775 motor have comparable torque to common 800w hand corded drill?

I'm putting stainless tube inside drill and pressing it against sandpaper to grind and polish, will this motor be albe to do it also without stopping?

Links

Motor:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FitSain-775-DC24V-8000RPM-motor-pulley-three-jaw-chuck-D-50mm-B12-drill-chuck-Cutting-saw/32822542386.html?

Drill example:
https://www.amazon.com/LUBAN-Household-Multi-Function-Metalworking-Woodworking/dp/B07G2BRPBF
>>
>>1445775

No, drills aren't just a motor, they have gears and torque multipliers inside.
>>
>>1445783
Damn it, but I saw videos of people making disc grinders out of these, maybe it will work anyway?

This is about low noise. Maybe the 220v elevtric motor used in knifemaking belt sanders? Anything more quiet than drill
>>
>>1445590
>>1445693
Thanks guys. To run a conduit I can only use the grey pvc pipe correct? iirc that is rated for behind wall applications.I'll get a 2" pipe to avoid cable crowding.

I'll ask a Pro about my options of insulation. Right now that "exterior wall" in Pic is really an interior one since the addition is there on the first story. Running cable from addition to basement.
>>
>>1445757
Probably fine. are you using wax instead of poly because you want the finish wax provides?
>>
>>1445969
The main point is actually ease of use. I have no workshop and will have to apply the finish in my bedroom so I don't want anything smelly. Applying wax seems to be easy and straightforward. I like how it looks in the photos but didn't see it with my own eyes (at least not with knowledge of it being wax).

Also, I think I'll get a pigmented wax so I won't have to buy stain separately. But then I'd have to buy a separate clear wax for re-applying the finish so I'm not sure about it. I suppose pigmented wax would make the whole process much simpler.
>>
>>1441600
Is there a good 3d modelling package that is free?

I'm being asked to help with my wife's son's school project but I've never really gotten into CAD etc. I did a little autodesk in uni but that was years ago and I never bought/acquired the software.

Bonus points for linux version.
>>
>>1446133
Answering my own post because the /g/ autists got to it super quick. Blender.
>>
>>1443792
Get some carpet scraps put the boxes on them, cats feet will be clean by the time they get of the carpet. Which you can then vacuum and replace once a while.

We found the cats are also less messy if you have one more litter box than cats, so 3 boxes for two cats. Here they tend to share one for shitting and each pisses in her own.
>>
>>1441935
urethane or silicone caulk
>>
>>1446133

Artistic modelling or CAD?

If the former, Blender. If the latter, Fusion 360.
>>
File: 1524044960018.gif (7 KB, 645x773)
7 KB
7 KB GIF
>>1441600
just solid core
>>
When apply resin onto a slab of wood what should be the wait period between the sealing coat and the first pour? Is there anything wrong with leaving it overnight and pouring onto that?

Right now I have a plan to do the sealing coat and filling out some of the surface cracks and splits and then coming back the next day to do the three pours in maybe intervals of 3-4, or so hours.
>>
>>1442085
look at el wire
>>
I need to have a stencil printed for saltwater etching on a stainless steel cup. I'm etching a small ring around the width of a finger with a first and last name. What's the place to order plastic or vinyl sticker stencils for this project?
>>
>>1446071
I made a new keyboard tray wood thingie - I made my own stain using vinegar / steel wool / tea bags. You don't need a workshop - just need some space outside. Awesome colors - aged wood and stuff.

Why can't you apply the poly outside? I just did mine in the back yard.
>>
>>1446921
>Why can't you apply the poly outside?
If I did it with assembled desk, I would have to carry it upstairs later which seems pretty much impossible. If I applied finish to each part separately it would be just a hassle. I also have cats and would be worried whether they would do something with it. I guess I'm a bit biased towards wax.
>>
What the hell is this black clip for? I tried putting the spout on it but I can’t seem to put it on right. On another note, how hard is it to electrify a wire and stakes? I might make a small electric barrier/ fence to keep a dog from shitting on my yard. Voltage should be low enough to be painful but not high enough to cause any serious damage.
>>
>>1447301
>What the hell is this black clip for?
The first bit of the spout goes inside the tank.
The clip rests against the edge of the tank neck.
When you apply pressure against the neck/clip it slides back opening the valve inside the assembly.
When you release pressure the flow of fuel stops.
>>1447301
>keep a dog from shitting on my yard
BB gun
>>
>>1447301
That clip is to hold the proper NATO standard spout. You seem to have some retarded modification of the can so the parts probably aren't going to fit right.
>>
Is this the right board to discuss shortwave radio? Not building or transmitting or anything complex; just listening on my babby-tier shitty radio that also receives shortwave bands.
>>
>>1447339
Not the clip on the spout, the black thing on the can. Should have worded that better, my bad. Thanks for the explanation though, I actually haven’t used this type of spout before so your instruction will help out.

>shooting the dog with a BB gun while the owner is holding on to its leash 1 foot away.

>>1447341
Do you mean the ones that have this type of lip opening and the hook on spout attachment?
>>
>>1447342
>>1444577
>>
>>1441600
Can someone please help me understand toroidal transformer cores?
Specifically what type of core material I need to pass 2-to-3 kilowatts at around 10-to-100 kilohertz?
>>
>>1447350
>the black thing on the can.
to store to spout you're holding while the can is in transport
>>
File: 1534549413614.jpg (554 KB, 1040x585)
554 KB
554 KB JPG
Rate my masterpiece /diy.
>>
File: gromit abandons hope.gif (401 KB, 336x256)
401 KB
401 KB GIF
>>1447351
How embarrassing. Thank you very much.
>>
>>1447350
Yes the lever spout will fit properly.
Screw top spouts are meant to be stored inside the mouth of the can so the spout seal keeps the lid from leaking.
>>
File: ripped.jpg (143 KB, 1280x720)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
Why do tool manufacturers only do left-blade circular saws in cordless and not corded?

Left-blade feels so much more natural to me but I can't find any decent corded ones in the UK. Any recommendations appreciated.
>>
>>1447003
Well you could make a nice stain with tea vinegar and steel wool. Smells like vinegar but results are nice.
>>
File: millscale.jpg (154 KB, 375x500)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
New to metalworking - I want to keep the finish of the mill scale but remove the red iron3oxide rust, how can I do this?

Also will paste wax on the mil scale surface be okay to protect prevent further rusting?
>>
>>1447374
>>
>>1447385
Found that earlier but they don't seem to sell it in Great Britbong land. Thanks anyway anon
>>
>>1447374
Order online or go abroad to buy in local store.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.