[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: lawn.jpg (46 KB, 716x795)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
I can't get this fucking thing started. Checked the plug and lines, oils good, gas is old but topped off with fresh. Blades are clear and everything cycles but....it has sat for ten months. Help a retard out please.
>>
10 month gas is too old . Depends how much more gas you added. Try flushing perhaps.
>>
>>1442477
>10 month gas is too old

why do people still think this? everything is fuel injected now, almost, and gas has additives that keep it from going bad and gumming up. I have several gas containers for my generator, and I'm too lazy to cycle them, so my mower gets gas that is literally years old, and has no issues with it, and neither do my trucks when I occasionally dump 5 gallons of ancient gas in because it was about to run out.
>>
>>1442485
Ethanol screws up carburetors you dumb fuck.
>>
>>1442475
This >>1442489

The gas in the tank will probably still run it fine. But when you shut it down for 10mos with gas in the carb, it gums up everything.

If the lines are still good and fuel is getting to the carb, get a can of pic related. Take the air cleaner off and spray the fuck out of everything. Worst case scenario you can probably buy a new carb on Amazon for way cheaper than you think.
>>
Try replacing the carburetor. You can order them on line.
>>
>>1442475
Did you prime it?
>>
Air, Fire, or Fuel.

You're not getting one of these. Chances are it's the fire. Pull the wired plug off the spark plug. Leave a small gap. See if it's firing. If not, that's harder issue to fix.
>>
File: 6126136_magneto_zb.jpg (79 KB, 1200x799)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
Could be as simple as sanding the magneto.

Pic for reference.
>>
>>1442475
I've recently helped a few friends with lawnmowers, each one had the same issue, the carb needed to be pulled apart the nozzle or jet in the carb bowl was blocked on all three.
>>
>>1442596
This is the only thing that ever seems to go wrong unless the spark plug is 30 years old or there’s water in the gas tank.

Carbs are so cheap on Amazon. I tried to fuck with new bulbs and fuel lines for my leaf blowers a couple months ago and it still wasn’t running the best and then some tripfag on /o/ told me to order the whole carb. The carb, new fuel lines, fuel filter, spark plug, and 2 extra bulbs was $18.

God bless those chinks
>>
>>1442475
Dump the fuel. All of it. Put in fresh new gas and it will start. Never mix old and new gas.
>>
>>1442489
>>1442493
>>1442596

this. both my lawnmower and wood chipper died after a few years because the innards of the carb rotted out. replaced the carbs on them, and the start right up.
>>
>>1442475
Clean the carb
Done
The float gets gunked up
>>
>>1442475
Add Heet to the gas tank, water may have condensed inside of the engine.
>>
>>1442475
get a new plug and starter fluid

if it fires and putters out, replace the gas
>>
>>1442485
>everything is fuel injected now
Not anything lawn related.
>>
>>1442683
>if it fires and putters out, replace the carb
ftfy
>>
>>1442779
that would be a step after the gas, and after cleaning it
>>
>>1442475
drain the float bowl, you have water in the carburetor.
>>
>>1442475
>remove all gas
>take carbeurator apart
>poke something through the jets
>put carb back together
>fill with fresh fuel
>everything else is new
>mow lawn
>>
>>1442796
Don’t even waste the time. Clean the fuck out of the carb and give her a few tugs.
>>
>gas is better than electr-
>>
>>1442934
This
Brought the cheapest electric mower at my local store and bigass extension cable love the thing
>>
>>1442934
how will gasfags ever recover
>>
>>1442934
>>1442951
This. Electric mowers have been around forever and even the battery-powered ones are usable now. You have no excuse, OP.
>>
File: X310_banner_762x458.jpg (95 KB, 762x458)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>1442951
Good for applications where grid power is easily accessable (it's cheap as fuck), but bad when higher power is needed for longer periods of time and grid power is not easily accessable. Ie, you have several acres to mow and a ride-on is in your budget.
>>
>>1442989
pfft:
>no digital gauges,
>no cup holder,
>no steering wheel that tilts,
>no cruise control so you can relax while mowing that bigger yard.
do you even lift, bro?
>>
>>1442475

IDSPISPOPD

You must have typed it by accident. Type it again and your mower should start working.
>>
>>1442913
pull plug, reconnect, ground, pull and watch for spark.
if not, replace plug. if still no spark, problem with magneto

if spark, clean carb.
be careful some of the tubes in side can be plastic and break easily but are expensive to replace relative to the cost of a whole new carb. use carb cleaner. check orifices.

check air filter / clean / replace
drain and fill

ethanol blows. buy marine ethanol free gas.
>>
File: 1526225993784.png (57 KB, 607x426)
57 KB
57 KB PNG
>>1443061
>craftsman
>any year
Talk to me about digital gauges and how much it fondles your balls when its deck is rusted away and its trans fails next year
>>
>>1442475
>gas is old
>topped it off

The gas in the line and carburetor is still separated into hydrocarbons and water. Flush it out, put new gas in, take the air filter cover off, check the filter for quality, while it's out spray engine starter in and start trying again. Eventually it'll kick and start burning the rest of the shit out and consuming fresh gas.

Start mixing some Seafoam with the gas when you purchase it. It preserves it for long AND cleans the piston, cylinder, and head as you use your machine.
>>
>>1443198
>>craftsman
>>any year
MTD who makes mowers with -m a n y- name badges.

https://todaysmower.com/riding-mower-brands/
>Some of the current specs that are unique to Craftsman for the 2018 model year are: Unique decks that are rated as some of the best cutting decks by Consumer Reports
>>
>>1442485
That mower certainly isn't. I help make the EFI system(s) that ends up on a lot of lawn and garden shit, and even though it's cheap now, it's not quite cheap enough to fit on anything like that and still be cost effective.
>>
>>1442492
Shit Chinese reproduction car that will tear out the threads on the adjustment screws and/or leak and/or have all the passages be shit tolerances and impossible to tune.
>>
>>1442913
don't poke anything through the jets - you're going to make them bigger than they should be. Just blow it our with carb cleaner.
>>
>>1443276
Fuck it. I’ll buy another one for $18. And then another one until I get one that finally works. Still less hassle than dumping 2 bottles of carb cleaner into the thing and still having it run like shit.
>>
Hire some illegal immigrants.
>>
>>1442492
>it gums up everything.
and if it's a B&S it kills the little rubber membrane that holds the flappy valves.
>>
>>1442983

Only the top tier, most expensive battery ones actually last long enough to do the job in my experience. Ego 56v or one of the 80v models.

I tried a couple in between, and even the tier right under that one doesn't QUITE cut it. Most people would be better off just settling for a corded one unless they can spare the dosh for the very best.
>>
>>1443198
>>1443061
that craftsman looks like the generic home improvement store brand Mower
Infact, ive got a 10 year old MTD with B&S engine.
Every single year we pull this through a hot suffering, yet the thing hold up nice. Only thing to ever brake was indeed the mower deck breaking on the blade Bering. Fixed with 15$ and a welder.
for the 1/10th it cost in comparison to a john deer
>>
File: gas-eth-water-blend-2.png (221 KB, 587x507)
221 KB
221 KB PNG
>>1442489
>Ethanol screws up carburetors you dumb fuck.
People say this, but ethanol is a solvent. It should clean, not clog.

If the problem is phase separation, unlike gasoline, ethanol will mix with the water and help remove it from the fuel system while the lawn mower runs. Blends with higher ethanol are thus less likely to separate.
>>
>>1443365
ethanol can damage some seal materials
they made a big fuss out of raising ethanol content in super95 from 5 to 10% in my country
>>
>>1443368
Yeah, but equipment that the manufacturer specifically approved for E10 shouldn't contain those materials unless the manufacturer is lazy.
>>
File: bumblebees cant fly.jpg (27 KB, 406x629)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>1443365
>ethanol is a solvent. It should clean, not clog.
>bumblebees can't fly.
Bumblebees do fly and 10% ethanol blend gasoline fucks up fuel systems if allowed to stand.
>>
>>1443747
I said ethanol alone won't clog carburetors. Not everything is ethanols fault. Perhaps you should ask what is in the other 90% of E10 that is clogging the carburetors, or why is the ethanol in E10 behaving differently than pure ethanol.
>>
>>1443884
>I said ethanol alone won't clog carburetors.
Irrelevant since consumer engines won't run on pure ethanol and everyone except you is discussing E10.
Also, E85 will fuck up fuel systems not designed for it.
>you should ask what is in the other 90% of E10 that is clogging the carburetors
If I found out, the only thing that would change would be I know why E10 fucks up the systems.
I don't care, I don't bother. I have a local source for non-ethanol gasoline which I use in all my lawn and garden equipment.
I also run the premium grade in all of it as recommended by some of my better equipment manufacturers.
>>
>>1442485
Fuel injected push mower.

Cool story bro.

>why do people still think this?

Because gasoline indeed goes old, you fuckin' twat.
>>
>>1442475
BTW OP, small engines are incredibly simple to TS.

You have 3 main things to worry about. air/fuel system, ignition, and compression.

Easy things to check:

Air filter is clean. Spark plug is not fouled and getting a good spark, and the fuel is good.

When you crank on it, do you smell gas? That's usually a sign that you're getting gas but no ignition.

If you don't smell gas, your carb is probably gummed up which will involved taking it apart and cleaning with carb cleaner.

Most of the times if you have used shitty gas, and let it sit for a long period of time, your carb is gummed and you'll need to give 'er a cleanin'
>>
>>1444277
does a carb go shit when stored dry?
adding a 2$ fuel switch in line and storing dry would prevent this over winter
>>
>>1443365
I picked up one from a junk heap. The cab contained brass and die cast aluminum. There had been galvanic corrosion going on in there. After a clean out and using ethanol free fuel there have been no further issues of that sort.
>>
>>1442475
I just bought an old Snapper Hi Vac. The PO said it last ran 7 years before. It was parked and forgotten about. When he tried to start it up it wouldn't run so I got it for $40. I cleaned out the gas tank, put in new gas, and it fires up on the first pull every time. Just mowed my lawn with it.
>>
Mine sat for 2 months due to surgery, couldn't get it to start yesterday, waited to make sure it wasn't flooded then I sprayed a reasonable dose of carby cleaner on the air filter and it went first time.
>>
No air
>>
>>1444278
A lot of bigger engines are like this. My generator is the same which is good because it might sit for 2-3 years between use. Flip the valve to “Off”, let it run another 30sec to burn off all the fuel between the valve and the engine.
>>
>>1444534
>Flip the valve to “Off”, let it run another 30sec to burn off all the fuel between the valve and the engine.
You should allow it to run until it dies from lack of fuel.
This way the carburetor will be almost dry.
>>
>>1444554
That’s exactly what I was saying. I shut the valve off and run it and it will go for another 15-30sec while it burns off all that fuel in the line and carb so the only fuel left in it is the tank down to the valve. The rest of the fuel lines and carh will be dry.
>>
>>1444559
>it will go for another 15-30sec
I have a 20hp mower I added a shut-off to.
It will run for several minutes before emptying the carburetor.
You must have a fuel hog.
>>
File: 1528948255551.jpg (247 KB, 1024x739)
247 KB
247 KB JPG
>>1444559
clean the carb or inject seafoam
>>
File: sea foam not see foam.jpg (146 KB, 640x640)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>1444743
>inject seafoam
pic related.
>>
>>1444818
This has to be fake...right?
>>
>>1444823

just go back to reeddit or wherever you came from
>>
>>1444742
It’s a 7000W generator. I think it’s close to 300cc with a 6-7gal tank. It burns up the fuel in the carb pretty quick.

Also it’s not like the fuel line is long. The fuel tanks sit directly above the engine on those generators, so only a couple inches of little black rubber line.

Could be longer, I don’t remember running the stopwatch.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.