[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/fit/ - Fitness

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 204685.jpg (234 KB, 1200x800)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
What's your excuse not to start climbing? It's the best way to stay /fit/ and you actually make some intelligence gains too.
>>
I like doing other things
>>
>>46805059
I will admit, most climbers I see are pretty ripped.
>>
I prefer martial arts
>>
There's no real place for me to climb where I live.
>>
>>46805073
And it's not just about looks. It's actually funny as fuck. It's really like problem solving, but you have to be ridiculously strong and agile to get good.
>>
>>46805059
I was looking at a climbing gym around here. I'm on a mission to increase my grip strength. All the climbers on their social media look like s o y b o y faggits.
>>
>>46805202
Why do you care about other climbers and their looks lol? What does it have to do with you?
>>
>>46805059
im starting this year at uni, not doing it at home cos it ain't ridiculously subsidised like uni clubs. can confirm from a friend who does it it gives mad grip, arms and shoulder strength and turns your torso into a triangle. just don't forget to train legs
>>
>>46805221
what if there's onions in the communal water?
>>
>>46805059
Climbing gyms are expensive and full of faggots.
Climbing in nature is legit tho
>>
>>46805267
My dad climbs at v10 level. Actually he didn't do much leg training at all for 5 years, but still managed to deadlift 200kg at 78k bodyweight in his first session. Well he did hit the gym in the past, but still a good example how you actually use your legs while climbing, if you're good.
>>
>>46805202
Pick up heavy things and hold them for a while. Repeat a few times, once every 2 days. Enjoy your newly aquired grip strength.
>>
>>46805059
>What's your excuse not to start climbing
>>46805096
>but you have to be ridiculously strong and agile to get good
which is a pretty decent reason for a lot of people to not do it regularly
also
>expensive af
>time consuming

tl;dr: not worth it
>>
>>46805375
Its 60$ a month where i live. Actually not even expensive for a sport
>>
>>46805059
i currently weigh like 180 at 20+% bodyfat and in order to get good at it at all i need to be 160 or less, which i do not plan on doing.
>>
>>46805668
False. You don't have to drop your bw to the point where pro's do. You can enjoy climbing as a hobbyist and get good even at around 180. I know some climbers who weigh 200 pounds and rock it.

This is even more important if you plan on having other goals than just climbing. But if climbing is the main goal, then it's wise to drop bw.
>>
>>46805718
i'm saying that because i did enjoy climbing, but i want to be able to do shit higher than a fucking v3 on bouldering walls, which often require you to be able to handle your bodyweight at a steep decline.

quite frankly my upper body/lats just aren't strong enough for more than a few attempts at the whole thing which makes it not really worth it at my current body weight.
>>
>>46805782
John dunne used to climb hard climbs at 190-200lbs. So no excuses.
>>
The only problem is you will have to train chest and legs some other way

t. climber with bird chest
>>
>>46805927
I'd recommend some general gym training no matter what your sport is
>>
>>46805801
dunne also lived that shit and i do it as a hobby on side of lifting. so yes, there are literal excuses.

it's fun but the money i need to invest to get good let alone just enjoy the shit is a lot more than just regular lifting so it will be relegated to a side hobby at most.

don't get me wrong either, i have all the equipment you need, harness, shoes, etc. i got it all here. but i only ever bust it out like once a year because i wait for groupons for all the local places to become usable again so i can get a bunch of months for essentially 30 bucks each at different locations.
>>
>>46805059
I DONT WANNA DO THAT FAG SHIT FUCK OFF
>>
>>46805059
i climb your mom every night
>>
>>46805329
yeah you do use them, if you didn't you will destroy the rest of your body with fatigue but most climbers are disproportionate in that their shoulders are yuge compared to the rest
>>
>>46805059
climbers dont train legs and are weak
>>
I'm not a weak manlet
>>
Can afford judo and climbing so bye bye climbing
>>
File: 1520477656644.png (113 KB, 190x263)
113 KB
113 KB PNG
>>46807628
>>
>>46807673
Can't*
>>
>>46805221
>lol?
you seem insecure
Why would he want to be buds with a bunch of s0ys? If he's going to start climbing, surely he's gonna want to branch out and make climbing friends. Use your noggin'
>>
>>46805059
I've tried bouldering in a bouldering gym before and it's not my thing. It's a bit slow for my taste and just doesn't seem as fun as people make it out to be. It's extremely challenging and by no means easy, but I just don't feel like there's much of a sense of accomplishment to be had from getting better. It's missing that fast-paced element that other sports have, too.

I can't stand the culture surrounding it either, but that's not a valid criticism of the sport itself. It seems like one of those fitness fads that people glom on to because they're looking for a social outlet and/or something to post on their instagram that's not mainstream but not too esoteric.
>>
>>46805084
this

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.