[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 01471892374.png (226 KB, 514x750)
226 KB
226 KB PNG
Do i really need to know several programming languages in order to get a job?

I just started college 3 months ago, and when i search about it on the internet i see people saying it takes years to learn any programming language. Then i go check the job offers for programming and they are like:

>required 3+ years of experience in C, C++, Java, Python, SQL...

How am i supposed to learn all of that at once? I can't even remember what i ate when i woke up this morning. It's ok for me to learn one language and remember how it works, but how am i going to learn like 3 or 4 languages and remember how they all work?

Suppose i find a job to work mostly with Java, how am i going to have time to keep my other knowledge of C, C# and Python updated when most of the time i'll be either at work or at college?

inb4, i'm not IMPLYING it is like that, please, read the whole thing, i'm ASKING A QUESTION here.

How am i going to learn 3 or 4 programming languages without forgetting how they all work?

Also, if it's any relevant, we finished Pascal a few weeks ago and got started with C. I feel like i'm going to forget what the fuck Pascal is by the end of the year.
>>
>>62880076
Get on with the times.
Wait for the universal income check and live the neet life.
Don't feed welfare faggots with your taxes.
>>
>>62880076
Learn concepts, not languages.

Once you figure out what the hell you're trying to accomplish from a most basic standpoint, building it is relatively simple in comparison.
>>
>>62880105

>Once you figure out what the hell you're trying to accomplish

But that's the problem, i'm not trying to achieve anything, i just want a job where i need to code. I already work as computer technician, or whatever you call the guy who fixes computer at a computer store there in america.
>>
>>62880076
programming languages that they ask for are more or less the same. if you know the fundamentals, you know all.
>>
>>62880143
By "achieve" I mean "do your job". If you're coding, clearly you're coding something, and in a language, the language likely depending on what kind of environment you're walking into.

>>62880176
This. Also, I noticed you listed a few languages, none of which have pointers. Aside from knowing the minor differences between languages, like anon said "they're more or less the same."
>>
>>62880187
>>62880176

Hmm. I did see some similarities with Pascal on the very basic concepts of C that i've seen at college so far. That's good to know i think. Thanks...
>>
File: bird bath.gif (1.9 MB, 250x250)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB GIF
>>62880076
In general you learn

>Java
If you want to get a job quickly in any tech-related company. It's an industry standard and in high demand. You can also make mobile games but that's about it for any game related work you can do.

>C++
If you want to work as a professional game developer. The turnover is pretty high and while it isn't super hard to et a job there is very little job security and once your Generic Shooterman 8 underperforms you'll be out of a job, along with your 200 or so coworkers with similar skillset that all will now compete with you for the few jobs available.

>C
Mostly only learned/used by amateur game developers making games in Unity. Most jobs here are revenue share so you won't make any money unless the game you make (and it will essentially be you making it by yourself) sells a lot. You will more or less just be a code-slave making somebody else's game idea.

>Python
Only learned by generalists who find java/c++ too hard. No job opportunities at all here, you're just wasting your time.

Hope this helped.
>>
>>62880076
> how am i going to learn like 3 or 4 languages and remember how they all work?
same way you learn a spoken language and then understand it for years after. Its even easier than that, since most programming languages have the same underlying concepts with differing syntax's.
>>
>>62880289
Not OP, but is Python really that out of the picture? Where could I actually use it, and not just job opportunities?
>>
>>62880289
This varies by market. Here in Sweden c# is likely #1
>>
>>62880076
It does not take years to learn a programming language.
It might take about half a year for your first language but after that it gets really easy.

If you know C and C++ you can learn python, Java and much more in about a week per language. (At our University learning Java was just 2 weeks, attached to one semester of C++ and algorithm/data structures)
Most languages are very similar especially if you look at OOP languages and transferring knowledge is very easy and a quick refresher requires minutes of googling.
>>
>>62880375
there are jobs for people with python, but they might require additional skills (like advanced mathematics, algorithms and so on).... in my area there are tons of jobs for Java and C#, i would start there
>>
>>62880076
sounds like you're just learning language syntax without knowing what you're doing

if so, doomed to fail
>>
>>62880289
>C
I think you mean C#
>>
>>62880076
>go to college
>learn a language
>graduate
>get a job
>use two or three totally different languages that have very little to do with the one I learned in college
>constantly learning new languages, or language core updates, or frameworks
>end up being "the only guy in the office who knows [language]"
>end up having to code review everybody else who is starting to learn [language]
>>
>>62882967
why do you say java and c++ are different languages ?
>>
>>62884441
Because they are?
All OOP is very similar on the surface level, learning one makes learning the other very easy, but on the inside C++ and Java are extremely different.
>>
>>62880289
/thread

Python is shit, don't even think about using it on data science, Perl Data Language is much better anyway.
>>
>>62880076
>>62880289
No idea what that C point is, but C will be niche and you almost certainly need to have Electronic experience or a EE degree.
C++ is used outside of the gaming industry, lol, but if a job asks for it you better know why you'd want to use it over Java quickly otherwise you're out.
Python/scripting languages will almost never be the language they want, but it is a scripting language so it'll be handy getting a project running fast, so knowledge (or at least experience in using it instead of bash) is good.

Java is safe and will go your foot in the door if you're competent, at which you can then work out if you want to diverge or whatever.

A DB language would also be handy to have, planning on having a personal project in NoSQL myself for that reason.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.