[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology



Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.



Well?
>>
>>63316826
Well I feel bad for old people being forced at a high age to participate in a new technology based society. I hope I don't ever have to go through something like that.
>>
>>63316826
Well, I taught my grandad how to use a computer. I only laugh at people who mean nothing to me, like you, OP.
>>
i've never made fun of my parents for needing help with computer

but i have pushed their hands off the keyboard and taken over when they're taking too god damn long to type
>>
I don't see the problem. It's just a bit of banter between members of a family.
>>
>>63316826
Makes me wonder if technology will have progressed so much that I will be unable to keep up by the time I'm 80. My grandfather retired about a year before they introduced personal computers at his work, so he never had to work with them. He had a computer at home, and later an iPad, for email and web browsing, but he simply did not understand the logic behind a UI.
>>
That's all well and good but I bet I didn't say "No no no, you don't know what you're doing, give it here! Ugh I thought you kids knew this stuff?" when you tried teaching me the spoon, did I?

Listen here you wrinkly old fart, if i'm trying to show you how to do something, listen to the fucking words that are coming out of my mouth, don't spin off into a blind panic like at any moment the fucking VCR could explode and kill us both, they don't build them with that fucking feature.

Goes both ways.
>>
>>63316826
I wouldn't made fun of my parents
but I got annoyed really fast
>>
>>63316826
I wonder how long it took them to make that image
>>
>>63316902
3 weeks. lololol
>>
>>63316885
trust me , it will happen.
Im 33 and KiK and all these social media apps are just confusing me.

they will also end up probably switching the lingo on you. L33t S []D 3 /-\ |<will probably sound so forgien to you when you are 80
>>
>get taught to use a spoon
>left alone for a while
>parents come back and i have the spoon up my ass and there's shit fucking everywhere
>i'm sitting there screaming YOU BROKE THE SPOON LOOK WHAT YOU DID
old people
>>
But they don't fucking learn.

>You can unhide the ribbon by clicking...
>next day
>Anon the menu is all weird again

Fucking old people
>>
YOU INSTALLED A VIRUS CALLED MSPAINT ON THIS SPOON AND NOW I CAN'T PLAY VIDEO POKER
>>
Not knowing is fine, not being willing to learn something really simple is really annoying. The majority of family tech issues fall into the former category so I try to be patient.
>>
File: degen512.jpg (209 KB, 1000x1000)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
>>63316842
our turn is coming up. but, judging by the current trend technology(and 'tech literacy' in general), we'll probably have it way easier.
>>
>>63316946
Don't use kik or Snapchat, but I know that Snapchat is confusing because it's basically a dick pic sending service with all kinds of shit tacked on. And the UI is notoriously poorly designed.
>>
My mother managed to make a website by writing out html in word back in the 90's when she was well into her 40's. Maybe your parents all need to git gud.
>>
>>63316885
There's an animu where all kids after a certain age have augmentations implanted at birth which allows them to delve into virtual reality. It's called "Accel World" and it's complete trash, but if we're talking about being "cut off" from technological progress, that's a pretty significant possibility.
>>
I only get angry with people when they need my help but absolutely refuse to learn. I told my dad to back up his office files about four times and he didn't and then a virus wiped everything and the entire company was fucked for weeks. He still doesn't back up
>>
>>63317065
Company management not listening is the worst.

>We should have backup power supplies for our computers in case the grid goes down so we can save our work
>How much would it cost?
>~400 for every 2 workstations would keep them running for half an hour
>THAT'S WAY TOO MUCH! FUCK THAT!
We lost power (and therefore an entire day's work) three times that year and we were already in crunch mode.

They also refused to buy network licenses for software, so they'd have the IT guy order individual keys each time we would set up a new work station. It ended up costing more for them and the Engineering Department alone was using 4 different versions of Microsoft Office. Do you know how much of a PITA it is to be working on a huge, complex, shared excel file when you don't all use the same version of excel? It's beyond aggravating.
>>
Meanwhile mom how has been using smartphones for more than 10 years asked me how to lower voice of a caller. and when I told her she should press the volume down button, she pointed at the power button and asked if it was it? Jesus fucking christ. how am I supposed to contain myself with such stupidity?
>>
>>63317065
That's the thing. I'm happy to help as long as you're willing to learn. I'm less happy to have to show you what a 'tab' is for the 30th time this week.

Another pet peeve is when people just don't read things. The number of times I've been asked by people for help with some kind of dialogue that they didn't even bother reading is staggering.
>>
>>63316826
Of course. Making fun of people because they are older then you and have a harder time adapting to new technology is fucking retarded.

We all know that it will one day happen to us too, that is just inevitable. (Although maybe we will have an easier time)

I also could not make fun of my dad for "being bad at computers" even if I wanted to.
>>
>tfw mother taught me to use a spoon and father taught me to use a computer
>tfw grandfather taught me to use windows 95 and now botnet 10 is so different i have to teach him to use it
>>
>>63316826
You were alive while computers became common place. I was born without the ability to do anything.
>>
/well/
>>
I was a baby when you taught me how to use a spoon. You are an adult, you have no excuse.
>>
Why make fun of my family if I can make fun of my peers who only know how to instagram and microsoft word at best?

Those people STILL have their computers full of junkware lmao
when will they learn
>>
>>63316826
I learned how to use a spoon on my own.

(you) require assistance each and every day to find that inspirational email someone sent you from your church the day before. After 25 years of showing you how to use the right mouse button, you still can't figure it out or click it without having a panic attack. The mystery of what a hard drive is and that it is portioned off into things called "directories" in which "files" are kept will forever be beyond your grasp.

I'm not making fun of (you). I am weeping in black despair. None of these things is more complicated than putting on your socks before putting on your shoes, yet still (you) demand that I show (you) how to computer every single day, an unending Hell of repeating the identical information to (you) over and over while (you) babble on about secret alien anti-gravity technology wars taking place in secret all over the world. Secretly. Because (you) saw a you tube all about it that someone on the Facebook sent (you) last year.
>>
>>63317563
Those people don't even have computers sadly
>>
>>63317612
i know people like this, same retard gets those nigerian bank emails and thinks they're legit
>>
>>63317612
You ok there buddy?
>>
>>63316826
What I don't get is that my mom used to be the computer person of the household. She operated everything relating our home computer over the years, since... DOS. In 2008 I bought my first personal laptop and got more familiar with the innards of computers, all the while studying in a tech-centered school, so I became pretty competent with computers. Somehow, my mom became completely incapable of doing basic operations and asking me the stupidest questions like "anon, why doesn't the printer work?" when I never did anything with the printer. Her ability to use technology beyond Facebook browsing, email reading and image sorting greatly diminished over the years. And that bothers me. It frustrates me.
My grandfather, bless his heart, learned how to use a computer in his 70s, and he's in his 90s. He tries to learn, but I see it's hard for him. I see him asking the same questions over and over to try and maintain the instructions in his memory. He writes down the instructions, I draw UI diagrams for him, and he keeps raising questions. While he started at 0 and went up, it looks like my mother started at 50 and went down.
>>
wtf don't be so toxic stop being so racist against nigerians
>>
>>63317654
I was describing my Real Life every day encounters with my mother.

>phone rings (anywhere between 1st and 5th time that day)
> "hi mom."
> "the computer is making a message at me."
> " what does it say?"
> "I don't know. I deleted it." What should I do? Is it broken?"

The day is coming soon where that phone call ends with me putting a bullet through my head.
>>
File: 1434729858293.png (209 KB, 709x351)
209 KB
209 KB PNG
>'how do i delete people from my facebook'
>i dunno i dont use facebook
>SIGH
>>
File: 1470574705936.jpg (27 KB, 400x333)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>63317612
>I learned how to use a spoon on my own.
BRAVO /G/
>>
>>63317733
>So the computer is giving you trouble?
>Yes.
>And when the computer gives you a message explaining what the problem actually is... You close the message without reading it?
>Yes.
>HOW THE FUCK DO YOU EXPECT ME TO HELP YOU WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT THE PROBLEM IS?!

I know that feel all too much.
>>
>>63317756
There is no spoon.
>>
>>63316826
>I have the intelligence of a 1 years old kid
great argument
>>
>Have to setup some shit and change a bunch of settings on a customers PC at work
>Suddenly Windows 10
>Panic

Holy fuck I'm turning into a boomer, but genuinely these new UIs are borderline fucking unusable, how do normies manage this shit?
>>
>>63316826
My grandfather learned Linux faster than other people I have taught.
>>
File: 85_.png (41 KB, 132x152)
41 KB
41 KB PNG
>Anon can you help me with [asinine social media feature]?
>Uh no, I don't use that website
>God you're so useless anon!
>>
My aunt's the one who got me interested in computers and stuff. She used to have this real old ibm, early 80s model. had dual 5.25 floppy bays. I used to play around with it. Anyway now I'm the one who helps her (and rest of my family) with tech problems. Windows Ten and the whole Phone App thing well I can figure it all out but I ain't that good with them (cause I don't own a smart phone nor use Win ten). Facebook is something else I don't really use.
>>
>>63316826
I never make fun of my mom or dad.

I do make fun of all the iToddlers who can't even operate a computer despite having grown up around them.
Not knowing how to re-install an OS is the modern equivalent of not knowing how to read 50 years ago.
>>
>>63318010
>Sorry I couldn't be of help with your shitposting on social media that I don't use. Incidentally, maybe you could help me calculate the minimum cross-section area required in a fastener in order to survive a given number of cycles at the specified stress amplitude with a safety factor of...
>>
>>63316842
>technology based society
It has always been this way, stop acting like a child.
You only see others being bad at computers because you took an interest in it and others didn't.
I am currently working with doctors and they are NOT technical people but they are certainly smart people.
There are more things to know than how to act edgy on social media you dumb kid.
>>
>>63317795
They are basically unusable. They're designed by pajeets and powerpoint professionals.
These are not intuitive interfaces.
The solution is entirely just getting used to how shit they are and eccentricities like two control panels.
>>
Mom used to ask for help all the time, then I installed Ubuntu gnome on her computer, showed her how to open Firefox, and now she barely asks for help. The only thing I've had to do since was show her how to rip CDs.
>>
what is this image?
like with everything else I taught myself how to use a spoon. I taught myself manners. I taught myself how to read, how to do math/science, how to program, fuckin everything. my parents can fuck off with any claims that they were a positive part of my development.
>>
>>63316946
No, you're just a brainlet.
>>
File: 1486235814907.jpg (54 KB, 366x401)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>63317170
>has been using smartphones for more than 10 years
Smartphones haven't be around that lon- OH GOD WAKE ME UP.
>>
>>63317612
>I learned how to use a spoon on my own

Banner material
>>
>>63317486
>I was a baby when you taught me how to use a spoon. You are an adult, you have no excuse.
Not the way I would've phrased it but basically this. It's such a fucking stupid comparison.
>>
>>63316842
>new technology based society.
Every American born after 1910 has lived in a technology-based society. The machine tabulation of the Census changed the way this country worked immensely. The way data is organized has changed since then, and the adding machine has gotten so small we can put billions of them on a flank of silicon, but the basic operation and use of the machines has not changed in the slightest. You put data in, you do operations with it, and you get an output. Literally the easiest tool in the universe to use.

No one alive today has a single valid excuse for not being able to operate a PC.
>>
>>63317795
>how do normies manage this shit?
They don't. They just put up with it like fuckwits then have the gall to bitch and moan because they can't be fucked finding alternatives.
>>
>>63317795
They put up with it, no one seems to be aware of the fact that Microsoft "un"intentionally sabotages their products and the constant changing of interface design is a result of poor decisions rather than an attempt to make it better in any meaningful way.
If they do realize this, and you suggest an alternative, they suddenly don't want to bother learning something "new" even though the OS they have a problem with is literally the same old shit they've been using for the last decade except with a shiny retarded interface that makes things 10 times harder to locate.
>>
>>63316826
>a baby learning how to move their fresh juicy new body
vs
>a fully functioning adult who has had years to learn this stuff
>>
>>63318213
Not him, and your point is good, but you should really watch your attitude. Generally when people make a post like his, it's due to some sort of misunderstanding, whether they admit it or not. It's best to just calmly try to help people understand things. If they're still aggressively disagreeing with you after you've gone over everything more clearly, feel free to give up on them after that.
>>
>>63317017
electrolites
>>
>>63318911
>fresh juicy new body
why don't you have a seat over there
>>
File: 1408208516184.png (207 KB, 500x500)
207 KB
207 KB PNG
>>63316826
yes but you see
*puts on the cool shades*
tehre is no sp00n....
>>
That's great, but I don't call my mother 25 years later asking what was proper way to hold a spoon again.

The fact that I need to tell my family for the millionth time to restart the device or try to input their login credentials again carefully is just nerve-wrecking. And it has helped 99% of the time.
>>
>>63319024
>Try turning it off and on again
>Is the caps lock key on?
>Is it plugged in?
>Double click it...
>Double means twice... Click it twice...
>No, you don't have to double click everything, you just need to double click to open the file...
>Of course you opened that window twice, you double clicked it...
>Oh god, why did you set it to automatically select the file when the mouse is over it? Because you don't like double clicking? But now you can't use selection boxes properly and you're accidentally opening files all the time!

My grandmother was not very good at computer.
>>
>>63318635
not sure why you're so surprised
there was only a couple years between when cellphones really caught on in popularity around 2000 and smartphones popped up, unless you're brainwashed by apple into believing the iphone was the first smartphone
>>
>>63319150
Remember the palm treo? Shit was pretty cash in the day.
>>
>>63319165
i remember eyeing up a bunch of palm and pocketpc pda/smartphones in the electronics stores, but i was just a kid with no money, so i never had one (not that i'd really have much use for a pda at that age)
the closest thing to a "first pda" was when i got a psp, and got right into it's homebrew scene. homebrew allowed the psp to act not unlike a poor man's pda, with lots of non-gaming applications being made for it
>>
>>63316826

Yes, but at that time I was 2 years old.

You are a grown-up person, so if you are too retarded to use something like Google, you might as well just kill yourself and save me the trouble to pay for you for 15 years or more when you are an old an useless piece of trash that sits in his retirement home and does nothing but putting me to expense.


Well?
>>
>>63319106
>why did you set it to automatically select the file when the mouse is over it?
my dad has been using this "feature" since Win98

every time i go to his house i accidentally open multiple browser windows and several of the files he keeps strewn over his desktop...which he leaves black with no wallpaper because he needs all that 8 GB of RAM for Doom II.
>>
>>63319261
Man, I WISH I had a fucking PDA as a teen. Paper agendas were a huge fucking hassle and my life was a disorganized mess. Modern cell phones are like manna from heaven.
>>
>boomer logic
>>
>>63316826
>too many viruses on mom's win7 laptop
>install Linux mint and teach her the basics
>she figures out bash in a week or so
>compiled her own custom kernel a week later
>yesterday, she hacked into my home server and left a message citing 12 CVEs

SEND HELP
>>
File: bd64.jpg (1.12 MB, 3840x2160)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
>>63319364
>he needs all that 8 GB of RAM for Doom II.
do you really blame him?
>>
File: 1510188045291.jpg (44 KB, 445x561)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>63317612
Holy crap man.
My elders aren't even remotely this retarded, they know how to google current weather, read latest news and call me via hangouts. At their 65+, easily.
Take my pity.
>>
>>63316958
Yea
>>
who makes fun of their parents anyways
>>
>>63316826

you taught me how to use a spoon 1 time not 300
>>
>>63317017
>>63316842
>>63318213
>>63318926
>>63318756
Yep there's really no defense for this, PC is no different from a telephone. I wonder how this would have went down in the 30s, 40s, or 60s when you show up and say
>I want a job but I not only don't know how to use a phone but I will always refuse to learn how
Yet you see these old fucks in every business where they're on a PC at least 90% of their time, 5 years into the job, still can't figure out their software that hasn't changed in all that time. Um no, you aren't cool for "fighting" this, all you need is two of these old fucks and they form this little support club where they help each other not use the software. Get the fuck out of this and every industry. I could see how you're still fighting this in 1990 when the technology was only relatively 20 years old in terms of being easily available for business and when phone-only software support was pretty shitty but it's been another 20 years and the entire system has been dumbed down just for you. There's really no excuse and businesses need to kick these assholes out asap.

This is why IT is so shit, you can't get these assholes out, and I went for programming. It's so fun to hear some clever boomer on the phone "overhear" how I can "make it be super cool" and then I hit the business with the quote for implementation and it's "we'll just teach him instead"
>>
>>63317102
>We lost power (and therefore an entire day's work) three times that year and we were already in crunch mode.
and what did they say towards the backup psu after that?
>>
File: 1499988298967.jpg (23 KB, 390x365)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>63318961
fucking lost.
wp anon
>>
Imagine browsing 4chan at 80 years old and calling people newfags
>>
>>63317102
huge complicated excel files are my favorite because I try to replace them with a CRM but it's a hard sell because it's always
>oh but this is always the way we've done it
>Hey I remember when it used to take 5 minutes to load, now it takes 10, you're new here you wouldn't understand
My other favorite thing is when people freak out and try to sabotage me because they know that even the most simple shit tier CRM or anything for that matter would replace them overnight. It's also funny to easily show people how if you copy-paste 10K rows you can make it even slower and go into the "future" they claim won't happen, like as if copy pasting the data somehow isn't the same as legit new rows. Excel spreadsheet at this point pretty much means someone wants to keep the business stupid as fuck so they can steal money or something somehow
>>
>>63319771
You would be SHOCKED at the number of companies that still use AutoCAD because Solidworks is tooooooo scaaaryyyyy for the old codgers in management.
>>
File: 1506138999978.png (455 KB, 625x480)
455 KB
455 KB PNG
>>63319897
at this rate 4chan will be the new facebook with the increasing number of normalfags
that april fool's joke will not be a joke in some years
>>
>>63319855
Then there was a power struggle between various people in upper management (one big Italian family) and they eventually got them but you'd only have 15 minutes to save everything when the lights went out.
>>
>>63316826
And so, Sue
You're now saying your cognitive faculties should be compared to those of a two year old?
Oh dear
>>
File: 1390955427998s.jpg (5 KB, 125x108)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>63316958
>YOU BROKE THE SPOON LOOK WHAT YOU DID

every single time
>>
>>63317612
I know your pain
>>
>>63319616
Not at all, the man can absolutely destroy that game in a single sitting. He actually learned how to maintain his PC primarily by gaming on it, he's been big into racing simulators and FPS since the early '90s.

Part of the problem older folks ted to have is this weird idea that this technology is some kind of ephemeral fad, like everyone will come back to their senses and put pen to paper or physically mail something for personal amusement eventually. People in the late 1800s probably felt the same way about cars, until the cars became faster and easier to operate than a horse.

Also, normal people do not understand that a computer can only do a handful of things at once, that it can only do what a program tells it to do, or that at any given moment they may have 60 individual programs running on their computer. To them the desktop is just a picture and the only program you run is a word processor or web browser. Then you go and show these morons the task manager and how their single core Acer is melting under the load of three separate antivirus programs all trying to scan a 5200 rpm drive at the same time and they're like "woah!" as if it wasn't bleedingly fucking obvious running more antivirus programs isn't going to give you more virus protection, just make it impossible to use your computer.
>>
>>63316826
Very well, thank you. How are you?
>>
>>63316826
except my grandpa taught me how to use computers
its my parents that are retards
>>
Our current generation will still have retards, but it wrong be nearly as bad as the current batch.

Simply being able to Google "how to..." makes learning how to operate any basic technology a trivial matter.
>>
File: 1383468765406.png (45 KB, 995x523)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
>>63321422
You're assuming retards are able to use google.
>>
>>63316946
>L33t S []D 3 /-\ |<will probably sound so forgien to you when you are 80
Not really. I can just ask r/OutOfTheLoop what it means.
>>
>>63317612
I am a technology services employee at my local Office Depot, we have had a man come in several times who freaks out about his computer being hacked repeatedly and nuking his life's work of collected Jewish conspiracy theories which he is very happy to tell you about. He may actually be from /pol/. What actually happens is: we boot his PC up and he has gone to a facebook ad or porn site with a browser hijacking dialog box that spams annoying audio or instructs him to call "microsoft", I click the X on the dialog or just kill the process, charge him $60, give him his computer back and tell him to fuck off. There's another guy that does binaural beats or some kind of neuro-acoustic wizardry and every computer he's bought from us has come back dead. Full charge, no one home. We think he also goes to weird places but does some physical damage so he can return it (even though that really isn't necessary, RTM for those fuckers).

I had another guy come in, tells my boss that he's having email trouble, when I get over there he's trying to send an email with a misspelled address and wondering why they're getting rejected. Once I point this out, he asks if I can copy and paste the text from the email he wants to send into a new email, so that the recipient will see he tried to send it several times. Only problem is that the headers from the failed deliveries take up an entire page's worth of text for what was literally a one line, 5 word email. I about lost my shit when he asked me to copy and paste his own fucking email, and this motherfucker was rolling around with a goddamn Surface Pro, talking about how much money he makes and how successful he is all and this garbage, so I lit up on him for being such a massive shit talker and then I showed him how to copy and paste all that garbage text himself. He did, and was actually weirdly happy that someone actually got mad at him for being obtuse. Now he's a regular customer and knows what the fuck CTRL+C/CTRL+V do.
>>
>>63317795
>>Have to setup some shit and change a bunch of settings on a customers PC at work
>>Suddenly Windows 10
>>Panic
Serves you right for falling for lincucks meme.
>>
>>63321574
Classic
https://vimeo.com/116787124
>>
>>63321668
>closed Google at the end
The only winning move was not to play
>>
Being the tech guy in the family made my dad and I less hostile to each other. My dad is a Motorhead. He taught me how to change the oil in my car, how to swap spark plugs, etc. But before all this I was completely clueless about tools and cars. He wouldn't explain things thoroughly and would get pissy / impatient because I took 30 seconds to do something or find the right tool.

"Anon go get the wrench"
We used 3 different ones so far
"Jesus anon, this one, what the fuck, you should know this" and he would get it himself and I'd get angry because I wasn't learning.

So I treated him the same way when he couldn't send an email. Or find the browser icon. Or use his Android phone. And when he said Id make a terrible teacher, I just told him I learned how to teach from him. He looked like I slapped him, but now I notice he teaches my sister differently, and is less of a dick to me.
>>
>>63316826
shut up mom you whore I explained you ten times already let me watch my cartoons
>>
>>63320183
>normalfags
says the fuckboy who
>cannot solve a system of differential equations
>drives a car with an automatic transmission
>has less than 12TB on his home server
>cannot run a 6 minute mile
>is unable to play a musical instrument
>brags about knowing bash, as if it is difficult to learn
>wears shoes that he bought at the mall
log out
>>
> Son, my computer doesn't play family farm anymore! Also it's super slow (4th gen i7, 8gb ddr3, 128 ssd)
> Turns out it's flash
> Flash is vulnerable old tech mom. I highly recommend not using it.
> You have two options mom. Spend 22 EUR on a win10 license and be up to date, or use something that is free but involves fiddling around a bit yourself (ubuntu).
> Why do they charge money for it!? It's not real work anyways, is it? Install ubuntu please.
> Installing ubuntu.
> Uh, that looks ugly! Besides it's all in English.
> Buying Win10 myself and installing.
> That's not how it used to be! I want everything like before! You broke my laptop.
> Turned out that this shitty flash game brings a fucking i7 with a mid range graphics card to it's knees.
> Blames me for not being able to fix it.
> I thought you were really good with computers son!
> Dumb me told her about teamviewer, now I even have to do the simplest tasks. Like installing software or changing time zones.
>>
>>63316826
So you have the mental capacity of a child? Fuck off Sue, you're even worse at analogies than you are at computers.
>>
>>63316842
yeah, I actually teach to old people I always have to explain them that technology isn't always intuitive and to expect they will change something they learned to use without notice.

What I found is that using voice commands on phones such as Google's botnet really helps them out to use their phones, they can now just say "call x person" or "set reminder to..." and so on. If you guys teach old people I recommend you show them this, it will make their lives easier.
>>
>>63316826
Good thing I will never have children.
>>
>>63316826
>boomer doesn't want to read manuals or even watch tutorials
>demands help from child
>child asks if boomer read manual
>OMG I TAUGHT YOU HOW TO POOP
Nobody should pity people who are technologically illiterate, they chose their own path. One perhaps owes their parents a reasonable amount of help but there is no excuse for not being able to figure this shit out after a quick tutorial and being shown a manual, faq, or Jewtube demonstration.

What OP's image is, is passive aggression after the boomer's kid told him or her that they're not going to bother hand holding them through the same fucking process they already hand held them through a dozen times at least. When an older person wants "help" what they are really demanding is for somebody to do whatever shit they want done FOR them.

I stopped helping my mom years ago with computer shit (moved away) and wow, as soon as I wasn't there she magically became able to actually figure out computer tasks. All it takes is the motivation to do it.
>>
>>63316946
this, I was forced to use facebook and whatsapp only to keep in touch with old friends and family. Mostly because internet connection is cheaper than cellphone calls and sms.

And that's it, I don't use it for anything. I am using facebook for at least 2 years and I never posted anything before.
>>
File: 1450985719055.png (183 KB, 392x500)
183 KB
183 KB PNG
>>63322108
> I thought you were really good with computers son!
this is usually about the point where I walk away
>>
>>63317017
Gen X is the peak of public computer literacy. People both older and younger are literally retarded when it comes to computers.
>>
>>63316826
I didn't call the picture on the spoon you taught me to eat with a virus and then proceed to stick it up my ass.

I also didn't have a fully developed brain as a baby so honestly if you want yo make this comparison then I get yo automatically assume you're actively retarded now.
>>
>>63316826
Should I teach my grandpa about bash scripting?
>>
>Anon, can you hack my friend's facebook?
why is this so common
>>
>>63322491
because normies are retarded
>>
>>63322491
because most people don't believe in privacy
>>
File: 99845.jpg (62 KB, 396x691)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>63316842
>I hope I don't ever have to go through something like that.

Kek
>23
>I don't have any app on my mobile phone.
>Never used anything newer than a C2D or any cloud service.
>Never used an IDE. Only Text editor + make + gdb
>My XFCE desktop looks like windows 98, last windows I used was vista
>Literally afraid of pretty much every advancement in technology because muh privacy
>Fear the intel ME and hate UEFI
>I prefer VGA to HDMI
>I fucking fear the future I feel like I have already been left out.

Thank you /g/
>>
>>63322869
Nah you're just a neo-luddite. Take a look at all the old people stories in this thread, same neo-luddite shit just different decade.
>feel like I have already been left out
You have?
>>
>>63322108
>buying windows 10
Your mom is right, you suck at computers.
>>
kys
>>
>>63316826
Brave.
>>
File: fc3.jpg (37 KB, 425x558)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>
sage this shit fuckin kys
>>
>>63316826
If they're anything like my parents it's practically like they make a concerted effort to not attempt to solve problems on their own, and furthermore, not learn shit when you show them how to do it, thereby leading them to ask the same fucking questions every fucking time, so fuck them. At least I remembered how to use the fucking spoon, and if I forgot I'd at least try to figure it out myself before calling them at 10PM about it.
>>
>>63321591
Motherfucker probably surrounded himself with nothing but yes-men for the last 40 years.
>>
>>63318277
>two control panels
I have no clue how that shit went throught SQA.

I really don't.
>>
>>63322005
From what I gather, being a parent is like playing a really complex game with no tutorial only to find out you've been fucking up the whole time and you can't restart.
>>
How do idiots get office jobs?
>>
>>63323921
Nepotism, lies.
>>
Why do old people get a free pass for being tech illiterate? We wouldn't have the computers we have today if not for the great minds who were around way before they were.
>>
My grandfather is 92, he has had a mobile phone the last 10 years. Nobody ever showed him anything, although he completely ignores sms, he makes calls just fine.
Otoh my mother, whomst always claimed how smart she is, she could never unlock he old nokia feature phone and now on her bare minimum android she denies to read the screen and do what the screen says. "Oh anon, how do you do this?" "press the button that says 'this'"
>>
>>63324104
>Why do old people get a free pass for being tech illiterate?
Because people should be free not to use things they do not want to.

>We wouldn't have the computers we have today if not for the great minds who were around way before they were.
and?
>>
>>63316842
I already get made fun of for not having social media, and get called a "luddite" for caring about privacy.
>>
>>63324104
Why does tapping a smartphone screen and knowing which social media to use and what meme lingo to type, and disregarding privacy for convenience, basically being a ignorant consumer, somehow constitute literacy? Tech illiteracy is in fact higher than ever, with people growing up on iOS and not even knowing what a filesystem is because of it. People view DRM as a service, and willingly pay to have their data mined on services like Netflix. How is that literacy?
>>
How can old people be so old and not know more about tech? Did they forget to learn?
>>
>>63322869
>I prefer VGA to HDMI
I get everything else, but why would you prefer VGA to HDMI?
>>
>>63324269
They didn't forget how to learn, they just don't give a fuck because you'll do it for them, and if you don't then they'll just use the excuse "i'm old" as to why they can't do the thing they are trying to do.

It's the same with dumb people who like to scream "i'm really bad with computers lol" like it's cute or something. It's not.
>>
Eat shit and die.
>>
>>63322869
>>I prefer VGA to HDMI

uhh what? no you don't
>>
>>63322869
>VGA over HDMI
gross
>>
>>63324423
It's a proprietary connection, every device that includes it has a licensing fee in its price, it has ethernet, it has DRM to stop you from using unauthorized devices or playing unauthorized content.
>>
>>63316946
I'm 40 and I don't have this problem. You're probably just not very smart, man. No shame in that.
>>
>>63319771
>PC is no different from a telephone
Except you can learn how to use the telephone rather easily compared to the PC.
>>
>>63319364
You can't see that the pointer turns into a little hand? Geez dude
>>
>>63322869
Are you literally me? Holy shit
>20
>librebooted chinkpad
>phone with no apps sits charging in closet or off in bag in case need to call someone
>Luddite afraid of new technology and large corporations
>only vim and tools
>stock trisquel
>prefer VGA to HDMI
>>
>>63324177
People don't pay to have their data mined, they pay for a service they deem useful that just so happens to also mine data, not necessarily as a result of paying, either. It's just that everyone mines data these days. If a bigger, better Netflix with more movies and a competitive price came by that didn't mine data, people would probably switch to it en-masse. Not because it didn't mine their data, just because they get more movies. They simply couldn't care less about the data mining.

This is problematic in itself, being either ignorance or apathy, but only a few truly stupid people want their data mined because they actually buy the bullshit that it's to improve their experience and go "I'd rather have useful ads!"
>>
Bump
>>
>>63322869
young man yells at cloud computing
>>
>>63322101
Did he touch a nerve normalfag? Your whole list is shit that any non-braindead highschooler can do.
>>
>>63323159
f(x) : this ^ x
>>
>>63316826
>well?

this takes low effort threads to a whole new level, Im sure mods and anons will put this thread in page 11 where it deserves to be----150 REPLIES

Fucking neo /g/ man

SAGE
>>
>>63325931
idk man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmuJj8-k8pM
>>
>>63316826
You can suck my balls, granny.
>>
>>63317612
oh look its my dad
>>
>>63321668
>is google usable
>video doesn't play
>disable noscript block
>now the video not only doesn't display, 75% of the elements on the page also disappeared

wow
closed the tab after that, not gonna be assed to watch if they can't even bother to create a functional video player
>>
>>63316826
I didn't make fun of my dad when he used a computer like a normal human.

But I swear to christ the day he hit 60 he decided to just dump all his computer knowledge in the fucking trash and now I have to put up with him calling me to ask how to open a goddamn web browser MOTHERFUCKER YOU'RE THE ONE WHO TAUGHT ME HOW TO OPEN A WEB BROWSER
>>
>>63329654
That's extremely sad




Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.