[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: T570.jpg (420 KB, 4235x1688)
420 KB
420 KB JPG
/G/entoomen,
I need a new laptop. Mostly web dev stuff, but I would also like to be able to run a VM (or two). I was thinking about the Thinkpad T570 with the I7 and 16GB RAM. Are there any other laptops I shoudl consider. (I'm down under, if that makes any difference.)
>>
>>63317258
T420 or X220 for dev. You don't need 16GB RAM and i7 for that, especially when it comes at the expense of poor quality keyboard which is obviously important for dev.
>>
>>63317281
I have a very old X220, with an I5 and 6GB. It's chokes on the projects I work on.
Also, the small screen doesn't make sense for development. I want to see as much code as possible, without having to interrupt my thought process to scroll.
Also, I tend to keep my laptops for a pretty long time, so I'll rather buy something overpowered and keep using it for a couple of years than spending the bare minimum and having to upgrade sooner.
>>
>Web dev

Get out.
>>
>>63317599
OK, a couple of sites that run off APIs in AWS ffs
>>
>>63317258
macbook
>>
X230 with 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD and Full HD Mod, you're set.
>>
>>63317321
>with an I5 and 6GB
No shit. Get something where you can upgrade the CPU to a quadcore i7, put in enough RAM and you're golden. A T520 can have a 1080p display, which is that sweet spot where you get just the right DPI.

Just don't get a new thinkpad, unless you like shitty keyboards and crappy cases.
>>
>>63317849
If you are a true professional dev like me. Then this unironically is the only right answer.
>>
>>63317258
Dell Latitudes are good laptops
you can get a good price on used or refurbed ones too
>>
>>63317281
I have an i7 T420s and while it is a great machine it struggles with my Android work. Not awful but could be much better. My new machine is a T470p which is fucking awesome.
>>
>>63318606
>Latitudes
shitty battery life

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.