[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: arch aqua.png (402 KB, 2335x2335)
402 KB
402 KB PNG
*tips GNU/Linux fedora distribution* run le Arch? Why yes I do, m'lady.

>Q: Is Arch for everyone?
A: If you're completely new to Linux, you might want to go for an easier distro, like Debian, Manjaro or Solus, but if you know a little bit about Linux, you might be presently surprised about how well you'll be able to fool your way around.

>Q: Is Arch hard to install?
A: Nah, not really. Follow the install guide at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/installation_guide, don't be afraid to ask questions and Google.

>Q: Why should I run it?
A: You'll learn a bunch about how Linux works, be able to use the AUR, customize your distribution how you want it and try and make your classmates notice how cool your i3 rice that you copied from reddit is (they won't)

Rules:
1) Don't be autistic
>>
btw i use arch
>>
>>63318622
AUR is love
>>
>>63318622
Only one rule, and you managed to get it wrong.
I use arch and I'm autistic.
>>
I have installed Arch on my desktop computer, laptop and raspberry pi. Only my phone doesn't run Arch. Has anyone tried Arch on an Android phone? (run it natively, not using vm that you download from google play).
>>
>>63318725
Did you install Arch ARM on you're Rapepi?
>>
>>63318725
I think Plasma mobile is based on Arch. You need to have Nexus 5 or 5X to run it, though.
>>
>>63318695
I've let you down :(
>>
>>63318738
Yeah
>>
File: iphonexforehead.jpg (41 KB, 560x640)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>63318748
You're forgiven Anon.
>>
>>63318622
Arch was my first pick and I've never felt the need to switch distros.

>If you're completely new to Linux, you might want to go for an easier distro.
Actually Arch is pretty simple.
>>
>>63318622
Artix install died randomly few days ago, after a system update (kernel panic cuz no init). The repos are worse than hell, expecially system-testing. I love pacman and aur too much to change distro, but systemd is horrible and we need something better than Artix. I hope for some official support ASAP.
This is not the "lmao Arch breaks easily" meme, because I never had issues with pure Arch, but Artix, the OpenRC fork, can be a nightmare
>>
>>63318762
OP here, same for me, but I mean, a lot of people don't feel the same way if they're not familiar with the command line.
>>
>>63318622
I am so glad a resource as extensive as the arch Linux wiki exists
>>
>>63318762
If you're a beginner, but not a brainlet, Arch is actually ok as a first distro. It's hard, but hard in the right way.
Learning how to get some shitty DE to run like Windows is useless in the long run, but learning to use the command line, partition disks from it, configuring X by hand, etc. are solid skills to know.
>>
>>63318793
I'm still surprised how much is in it. I was looking at Citrix ICA Client earlier and it had a wiki entry.
>>
>>63318762
>Actually Arch is pretty simple.
Yeah, but not for linux virgins.
I can't imagine a typical Windows normie installing Arch on their first try, even with arch-anywhere. I've had normies ask me how to dualboot Ubuntu with Windows 10, arch would be way above their level.
>>
>>63318777
Nice trips, what's the difference between Atrix and just pure Arch?
>>
Jokes aside, is Arch anywhere a good option if don't want to spend the time installing it? I have installed arch a couple of times, but I'm lazy to do it every time. I've read a couple of bugs about arch anywhere relates to its configurations files, but is there any significant disadvantage?
>>
>>63318622
im thinking about installing either gentoo or arch on my soon-to-come x220. i think installing gentoo would teach me fair bit about linux os, but i like aesthetics of arch, of which is just DE. in theory, with arch, i would get luke smith's DE package or something. would it be easy to install similar DE as Luke smith's on gentoo?
>>
Is Arch the most anime OS ever released?
>>
>>63318924
Never care about aesthetics when choosing a Linux distribution. Any distro can be made to look exactly like any other distro.
Yes, all the software he used to get that DE are available on Gentoo. If you want to install Gentoo, do as /g/ alqays says, and unironically
>install gentoo
Don't worry, getting it to look exactly like that is possible.
>>
>>63318924
Arch and Gentoo aren't even really comparable. You'll be able to install arch and brag about it to your internet friends, but when you install Gentoo you'll be suicidal.
>>
>>63318950
thx anon. im still new to linux, so really cant see much difference between gentoo/arch. but i feel like i need to learn how linux works and whatnot. gentoo it is
>>
>>63318885
Arch anywhere has always crashed at installation for me. Better to use Antergos. But the most stable for me has been installing Arch by myself.
>>
>>63318622
Why should I use this over Gentoo?
>>
>>63318967
? care to explain?
>>
>>63318968
I'd honestly recommend installing arch if you want to familiarize yourself with Linux. Gentoo doesn't do a lot of the things that you'd expect from an operating system (hardware detection, ect) and while the documentation seems simpler, it really isn't.

Arch is a lot simpler, but still allows you a lot of freedoms, with the freedom of the AUR and a lot more. Please, for the love of god, don't install Gentoo, it'll make you suicidal. Just install Arch and you'll learn a lot.
>>
>>63319008
See >>63319019

I'm a bit drunk at the moment, so it might take me a while to respond.
>>
>>63318968
Arch and Gentoo, despite being both considered "advanced" distributions by a lot of people, are very different in the way software is organized and distributed.
Arch is a binary-based distro, while Gentoo is a source-based distro. That means that most software is distributed directly as source code you have to compile yourself. Yes, even the kernel during installation is compiled.
>>
>>63319049
Threadripper can compile Linux kernel in 33 seconds, new Gentoo recommended specs?
>>
>>63319019
im using ubuntu gnome atm. i tried to use i3wm on it, and stuff like docking stations and wifi are not working as well. not that it really matters. ill be doing some C numerical analysis library reserach next year, and thought that i may need to understand linux os better
>>63319049
ive read about that, that you need to compile everything for gentoo. still on the fence. i feel like the torture would make me grow, but we'll see
>>
>>63318815
>>63318832
Arch isn't any harder than anything else, seriously. If you look closely at the Wiki and hold it up against the documentation for any other distro, it's pretty much the same thing. I've had the same Arch install for 5 years, (it was my first attempt at Arch) and I only recently deleted it because I had installed and removed and tweaked so much stuff in it, that it was bothering my autism. It ran perfectly fine though, I just wanted to start new with a clean slate. Most distros are pretty stable these days, desu.
>>
>>63319061
Yeah that's fair enough, docking stations are a tricky beast. The Dell docking stations seem to work on my Latitude laptops that I get from work.

>>63319061
I'm pretty impatient, compiling from source makes me want to an hero. Installing pacaur and making a working system probably takes around 30 minutes vs 12 hours.
>>
>>63319061
>you need to compile everything for gentoo
Not true, you have the option to not do this, but you sort of lose the main attraction of using Gentoo.
>>
>>63318845
freetard anti-systemd autism
>>
Generally speaking when you see the entire community of a distro only able to make "ironic" threads about how it sucks and you shouldn't use it, you know you're dealing with hipsters. Especially when the first question's answer is "don't use arch" (protip: all these questions are designed to get you to not use arch)

What's going on here is that the distro is dying and their ability to get attention is slipping. So they have to pretend to be a mediator and be all nice to try to get you in, this is so they can hit you with the "scrubz!!!! fuck off!!!!!" bomb later.

Note how serious distros like ubuntu, debian, fedora etc don't have this problem, and never will. In fact posting something like this on those forums would be seen as ruining their reputation and you'd be rightfully banned. It's not that it takes time or effort to make a distro, anyone can do it, it's that the entire thing is fucked by design to "distance" themselves from "the normies". No arch user is interested in linux, computers, or technology, this is a game they are playing for attention. This belongs on /fa/ instead of /g/.

If you want to be a hipster, please at least do it properly and go for BSD. That way you can say "oh linux is so 5 years ago" and appear really unique in IRC, and you won't be poisoning an actual project which is already succeeding. This is the technological version of running around town and keying cars so you can just sit there and say "lol i did that"
>>
File: 100-100 tbh fam.jpg (84 KB, 907x661)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>63319226
>Parabola
>pacman -S your-freedom

>pic related
>>
File: 1510287779651.jpg (63 KB, 600x720)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>63319235
>linux
>succeeding
>>
>>63319235
Rule 1 was made for you :^)

Arch can be hard if you're not familiar with the command line, but if you want to learn about stuff, you can't go wrong.

Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora certainly have their place, perfect for beginners, but there is certainly people who would like Arch. I'm not really sure what your argument is.
>>
>>63319345
what does "learn stuff" mean? what can I learn while using Arch that I can't on other distros
>>
>>63314232
>>63314232
>>63314232

Merge into /fglt/ please, thank you.
>>
>>63319501
Don't get me wrong, you can learn all of these things on ubuntu if you want, but I found personally that I got more experience working my own distro, if you're going through the partition table yourself, you might understand it a little bit more.

>>63319509
go away please :)
>>
>>63319509
its just linux
>>
>>63319546
>>63319548
We don't need a million fucking generals for every little thing. If you wanna talk about arch and only arch because you think it's so different, I would recommend going back to plebbit.
>>
>>63319563
>arch
>little thing
Make your own general if you care.
>>
>>63319563
Arch is different from a lot of other Linux distros, not too much, but enough, you seem like the person the term SJW is directed towards.
>>
>>63319546
yes, you are right. I learned some more about EFI/BIOS, partitioning while installing Arch. I also gather some knowledge about difference beetwen DE, WM, login manager. After that I didnt really learn much except customization :/
>>
>>63319501
"Learn" is a hipster by-word for "I'm better than you!!!!!"

You won't "learn" anything besides arch's stupid bullshit. Likewise if you go for slackware to "learn", you'll learn slackware's stupid bullshit. You're not going to see a real response besides "you just do learn stuff" because this is like a sales tactic for cars like saying "you won't find out how it's better until you buy" the only difference is you're getting played by IRC turds.

Note how million and billion dollar businesses use ubuntu, debian, and fedora. And no VPS company even offers arch anymore, because customers pick it by accident or by these shit "recommendations" and then since they are a first time linux user, they will just blame the host that it's fucking up all the time. This is why digital ocean dropped it hard.

If you want to do this, install ubuntu/anything mainstream and then install apache, and learn how to use sed, grep, and awk, regular expressions, and how to manipulate lots of files at once. Your job as an administrator is to administrate apps, not to administrate the system. The entire POINT of the os is to take care of this for you, so you can have time to work with apps.

If you don't believe me, head on over to indeed or any job site and look up linux distros.
>>
>>63319617
How much customization though? i3 and Budgie are different beasts, but I mean half the fun of Arch, and anything desu is breaking it and repairing it. I honestly had a lot of fun doing that.

Like when people say that stuff breaks on Arch, it really doesn't. you can break stuff yourself, but upstream packages don't really break all that often.
>>
>>63318622
>Rules:
>1) Don't be autistic
I guess this thread doomed.
>>
> use arch
> systemd
> packages keep breaking
> search for alternative
> find gnu ganoo
> install gentoo
> more packages available
> everything works with everything
> no unneeded packages
> no systemd/optional systemd

Still using Arch?
>>
>>63319657

Tbh I wanna install Arch as my second OS because I dont really like apt-get (some packages are old, I dont like adding new repositories all the time)

>>63319679
just searching for config files and thats all desu

I fucked up my Xorg two times and I managed to repair it, because I had some backup config files
>>
>>63319657
You don't seem to get it, a rolling release distro and a stable release distro like Arch are two completely different beasts.

All Arch users will agree if you want to have a stable system all the time you use something different. I'm OP and a Sysadmin and on non critical systems that need to work for the next eight years without an update because people are out on minesites and just need to access word documents, just use LibreOffice and add the SAMBA shares using AD.

>>63319727
What I do is just copy the skel file and remove the lines that tell x to do shit that nobody needs, and then add your DE and stuff, can't go wrong.
>>
File: do not.png (234 KB, 330x451)
234 KB
234 KB PNG
>>63319701
A lamer Ubuntu-using script kiddie corporate shill prof was teaching a class on Mark Shuttleworth, known corporate spy and Linux ’programmer’.

”Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship Shuttleworth and accept that he was the most highly-evolved programmer the world has ever known, even greater than Richard Stallman!”

At this moment, a brave, i3-using, bash scripting Poweruser who had over 1500 vertically-segmented Terminator windows and understood the necessity of systemd and fully supported all design decisions made by the Arch developers stood up and held up his sister’s netbook.

”What’s this computer doing, pinhead?”

The arrogant professor smirked quite graphically and smugly replied “It’s clearly using apt-get to update Ubuntu with all the latest software.”

”Wrong. It’s been 5,000 years since these packages were released. If it was actually installing the latest and best software, as you say… then it should be running Arch by now.”

The professor was visibly shaken, and dropped his Ubuntu phone and list of Amazon referral links. He stormed out of the room crying those shill corporate bloatware tears. There is no doubt that at this point our professor, Robbie Williamson, wished he had pulled himself up by his bootstraps and become more than a GNOME Unity user. He wished so much that he had a some privacy to shield himself from embarrassment, but he himself had sent his search history to Canonical’s servers!

The students applauded and all installed Arch that day and accepted Aaron Griffin as their lord and savior. An eagle named “linux-ck” flew into the room and perched atop the US Flag and shed a tear on the chalkboard. The ArchWiki was read several times, and Judd Vinet himself showed up and enacted a rolling release system across the country.

The professor lost his tenure and was fired the next day. His system experienced kernel panic and he was forced to reinstall Windows for all eternity.
>>
>>63319755
you could easily replace "rolling release" with "shit-on-purpose" since this is just an excuse when every other unstable version of mainstream distros still get it right. What new feature of random software could possibly matter when you have the vast library you already have which is stable.

Also you know exactly what you're doing since we're here in a thread "recommending" arch to supposed newbies. Following this anti-clever logic of calling it "rolling release" and "buggy" why would you then tell any newbie to use it? you do this because you want to see them fail.

>just need to run office suite
This is the need of 99% of people, now let's talk about supposed sysadmins - replace office suite with running a lamp stack. It already works on mainstream unstable distros, it already works on 10 year old distros for that matter. There's literally no point in using arch, slack, or gentoo except to be a fucking trendfaggot.
>>
File: am I disabled.jpg (88 KB, 959x714)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>63319845
1) Urgh, can you just read my previous posts man.

2) I'm saying that you'll learn a lot if you're new, but it might not be the best thing if you're not familiar with command line.

3)
We run locked down linux on all of our machines, and then citrix for windows programs like CHEOPS.
>>
What if I use arch but don't rice and don't watch anime?
>>
>>63319955
then why are you even on 4chan
>>
>>63319963
Because there is more to 4chan than ricing and anime
>>
>>63320090
umm no?
>>
>>63318694
Love is AUR
>>
>>63320090
Why bother at that point?
>>
File: aesthetici3.png (312 KB, 1366x768)
312 KB
312 KB PNG
>>63318622
I finally tried my hand at manually configuring i3-gaps

how did i do?
>>
>>63322277
Would be better if you had more of a smaller taskbar;
>>
>>63322353
really? it's at 25 atm, how small would you go for?
>>
>>63322376
desu I've never found a rice that suits me, but personally I'd set it down the bottom and make it a tiny bit smaller, not much.
>>
>>63322398
i was considering putting it on the bottom, yeah. Well, thanks for the advice anon, I'll play around with it.
>>
>>63322407
I mean I use Budgie, so don't listen to anything I say. Used i3 for a little bit and know the keybinds for my laptop. I find that a lower taskbar makes me less claustrophobic. That's just my opinion though.
>>
>>63322466
funny, i always found it the opposite way. Lower taskbars felt more cluttered to me.
>>
>>63322499
As I said, don't listen to me, I always found those people on reddit weird, if it works for you, who cares? Your productivity is more important than someones on the other side of the world.

Unless you're in Geraldton, Western Australia, in that case, we can discuss it irl, my opinion doesn't matter.
>>
Running manjaro on a sager clevo rp670g something like that. Intel core i7 and gtx 1060 laptop. Manjaro freezes at init when running in mshybrid mode. Works in discreet.
I remember setting a boot command line flag to get intel gpu to work. Anybody know of getting bumblebee working on this laptop?
>>
>>63322670
Are you getting any boot errors? c
>>
>>63322760
No errors just stops at init. This laptop been out over a year and still having this same issue as when it was released. Ugh. I ran it with discrete and that burnt an IC out in it. Dont want that happening again
>>
>>63322829
I have a metabox (basically Clevo) and the problem i had were sound related, this might sound crazy, but when was the last time you reinstalled. Solved my sound problem
>>
File: 1493784573490.png (282 KB, 850x1038)
282 KB
282 KB PNG
>>63318622
>aqua as the mascot
>not best girl

GET THE FUCK OUT
E
T

T
H
E

F
U
C
K

O
U
T
>>
>>63322876
This is a fresh install with dual boot windows. I remember finding a forum thread where somebody else with a newer sager had to use boot flags to stop intel boot hang.
>>
>>63320090
no, that's pretty much what /g/ is about
>>
>>63322970
Exactly what CPU? I remember Skylake was having some issues.
>>
>pacman is fast but not safe, it tends to break shit and config protection is implemented in a terrible way

>there is no official process to verify that a package is stable within the distro, in other distros a lot of packages are in a testing repo despite that specific package's developer claiming it to be stable on its own, because it might not be stable within the environment of a specific distro

>(arch v gentoo related) arch users complain about 'muh compile time' when it comes to gentoo, while in fact they compile a lot of AUR packages themselves, namely the *- git packages that pull the source from a git repo

>but it gets even better: they only compile a handful of packages, and those not being libraries mostly, the self-compiled packages get linked against precompiled libraries from a different setup (e.g. different optimization levels), which can then cause even more instability because it's a clusterfuck of unequal shit

>arch uses (((systemd))) and switching to something else is hard

>the vim package on arch pulls in X, so if you want to have a fancy terminal text editor on a headless server, you need to install a shitton of GUI stuff which you'll never need nor use

>maintainer told the guy who complained to just symlink vi to vim (vi is inferior)
>>
>>63323326
>he runs sudo pacman -Syuu and expects things not to break

>bullshit

>bullshit x2 just use pacaur

>I'll admit, we used to do that, but I can't find any recent sources with that problem

>systemd works fine and you can switch if you want, soon it will be d/system, we shall all become systemd

>you can remove it

>cause he's autistic
>>
>>63323755
>cause he's autistic
they all are
>>
>>63323326
>>pacman is fast but not safe, it tends to break shit and config protection is implemented in a terrible way
idk what you're talking about, never had pacman itself break anything, by contrast ive had apt shit itself so many times for no reason whatsoever
>>there is no official process to verify that a package is stable within the distro, in other distros a lot of packages are in a testing repo despite that specific package's developer claiming it to be stable on its own, because it might not be stable within the environment of a specific distro
Arch is a bleeding edge distro, theres no conspiracy here
>>(arch v gentoo related) arch users complain about 'muh compile time' when it comes to gentoo, while in fact they compile a lot of AUR packages themselves, namely the *- git packages that pull the source from a git repo
No need to compare the AUR, thats the same as saying compiling programs from source in debian breaks shit, they're third party ofc they're gonna break shit, on the hard i rarely have trouble with the AUR if you know what you're doing
>>but it gets even better: they only compile a handful of packages, and those not being libraries mostly, the self-compiled packages get linked against precompiled libraries from a different setup (e.g. different optimization levels), which can then cause even more instability because it's a clusterfuck of unequal shit
i have no performance problems with aur packages
>>arch uses (((systemd))) and switching to something else is hard
everything uses systemd today, also https://systemd-free.org/
>>the vim package on arch pulls in X, so if you want to have a fancy terminal text editor on a headless server, you need to install a shitton of GUI stuff which you'll never need nor use
thats gvim you retard, vim doesn't pull X
>>maintainer told the guy who complained to just symlink vi to vim (vi is inferior)
source

also https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1060828.html
>>
>>63318622
what kills arch for me is the retarded amount of faith people have in the AUR and nothing ever gets moved into the official repos
>>
>>63318725
you can chroot into the arch bootstrap image and build from there.

But chroot is shit and they packages uses too much space on a phone with man pages and other retarded crap.

I personally prefer entware-ng although im seriously considering recompiling pacman to get to install files in /opt rather than root so i don't have to chroot.
>>
>>63323935
>using outdated firefox
>having flash enabled
>running it as root
>this is gentoo's fault
>>
>>63324015
yes, gentoo fags are that retarded.

Get BTFO
>>
>>63318885
Arch doesn't even take that long to install. Most basic setup is 15-30 minutes if you know what you're doing. Then you just need to install your DE of choice and set up some miscellaneous shit, which might or might not be time consuming depending on what DE you chose.
>>
File: snug.jpg (133 KB, 1275x715)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>63319701
>Still using Arch?
yup
>>
>>63323935
literally the only time I had shit breaking on upgrade was when I messed with infinality patches when freetype 2.7 came out. After removing infinality and installing plain freetype everything Just Works(tm)
>>
>>63324075
>>63318885

"If you know what you're doing" you install ubuntu and it takes 4 minutes of just waiting. You cannot join the club by using a script, another version of it, or a version of arch with an installer. That's because there is no club to join since the entire thing is a game and no advantage of installing arch or any obscure distro. If you make it to the IRC, you have been let in so they can pick apart your choices on something else.
>>
File: beaten-wojak.png (163 KB, 780x818)
163 KB
163 KB PNG
>>63318622
>tfw it's my first distro
>actually the second time I installed linux
This shit is fucking user hostile, I'll tell you that. Almost 10 hours to get this to work and I almost lost my Windows partition because I wasn't even sure of what I was doing. Fuck, only when I finished installing it and saw nothing but the tty I found out that Arch was super raw and meant for customization, which is something that made me fall in love with it. Having a blast trying new shit here.
>>
Daily reminder that Arch Linux doesn't even follow the KISS philosophy and that Void Linux is superior in every way (hmm ok the wiki is not that good compared to Arch but you can apply the Arch wiki for nearly everything).
>>
File: holy crackers.jpg (16 KB, 250x250)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>63326368
>installing arch as a first distro
are you actually autistic? There's a reason Mint and Ubuntu exist. Hell, even Manjaro would do. It's a good thing you didn't fall for the install gentoo meme straight away.
>>
Say I have a Librebooted X60. How am I, a 32-bitlet able to enjoy the joys of Arch? I've heard there's the arch32 project, but is it any good? Will I be able to enjoy the joys of the AUR?
>>
I just wanted to say that I've become a full time Linux user after trying Arch. I had played around with Ubuntu and other distros in the past but it didn't click with me how powerful and useful Linux was until I had responsibility and control over my system that distros like Ubuntu hide away.
>>
I just wanted to say that I've actually had time to make fucking money after trying Ubuntu, it's much more of a high to use programming to solve real world user problems in software over jacking off in a terminal and IRC on welfare
>>
File: 1481924477331.jpg (69 KB, 640x720)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>63326706
>are you actually autistic?
I don't think so
>There's a reason Mint and Ubuntu exist.
I used Ubuntu in high school. Didn't like it.

The "Babbies First Linux" article in the installgentoo wiki stated that Arch had an extensive documentation and the largest software repository, that's why I chose this distro.
I can't really complain, I learned quite a lot from the installation alone.

By the way, do you have any recommendation for me?
>>
everyone's just going to install manjina and pretend they are enlightened arch users
>>
arch fucked me twice in the last couple of weeks
gdm is full of bugs every update
>>
>>63327059
>gdm
found the problem. use lightdm.
>>
>>63327021
>trusting /g/ on anything

well there was your first mistake, as an arch user, just install something simple and familiarize yourself with the command line. Jumping into Arch isn't the smartest idea, please man.
>>
>>63327202
>Jumping into Arch isn't the smartest idea, please man.
Nah, I'm loving it so far. Being able to customize it is great.
>>
>>63327168
or just type startx after you login and never ever deal with any of that
>>
>>63327365
Why not take it a step further and just set it to autostart on login?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinit#Autostart_X_at_login
>>
>>63327249
Oh sorry, I didn't read your post properly.

How are you handling AUR packages? Yaourt, building from git?

If you're not using anything other than pacaur, you're doing it wrong. Also, I don't worry about a login manager, just do what >>63327753 says and you'll be fine.
>>
File: 1405990936672.jpg (28 KB, 300x400)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
to use arch is to be autistic
>>
>>63327790
>How are you handling AUR packages?
I'm building them manually with makepkg.

>login manager
I'm using Gnome for now, I didn't know which dm to choose so I picked this one.
>>
>>63327790
I use makepkg and then pacman -U generated_file
>>
>>63327889
>I'm using Gnome for now, I didn't know which dm to choose so I picked this one.
ouch
>>
>>63318622
Actual rules:
KEEP
IT
SIMPLE
STUPID
>>
im using arch and about 2 weeks ago i had a random kernel panic crash while i was working on a drawing in krita. No mention of it in logs, and no crashes since. checked memtest, checked the disk, ran stress tests to see if it would crash again and it wouldn't. I don't get it. Other than that though i definately prefer arch to gentoo because I dont have to deal with fucking slot conflicts and bullshit like that.
>>
>>63318622
Eh, I'm happy with manjaro. A bit less updates but I get to use the AUR.
>>
>>63328019
>krita
check dmesg bro, I am pretty sure its you graphics driver, I had the same problem with intel and some 3D software.
>>
I think installing Antergos is better than installing plain arch provided you are not using an i3 or awesome set up and you have been around the block a few times with arch.

It just werks out of the box and can do more productive shit than mess with dot files and installing crap for half a day.
>>
>>63328054
im getting this but i don't think its related, though it could be.
[    7.861259] radeon 0000:01:00.0: Invalid PCI ROM header signature: expecting 0xaa55, got 0xffff
>>
>>63327889
>>63327898

Do yourself a favor and install pacaur from the AUR. You should know how to build packages from AUR, but not in active use.

Want to install chromium from the AUR and gnome from the repos?

pacaur -S chromium gnome

Also, if you're using gdm, I found it had a lot of problems for me, you might want to just consider autostart x from bash.

>>63327879
PFFYFPRRUF PFFFFFFT POO POOPY IN MY DIAPEEE
>>
>>63328078
>half a day.
Dude, I can literally move my workspace to any distribution or even to windows using cygwin in less than 30 minutes. The config files are the same and you only have to feed your package list to the package manager. The reason I stay with plain arch its because is so generic I know its gonna behave almost the same way in every machine I use.
>>
>>63328139
>Want to install chromium from the AUR and gnome from the repos?

Bro I was autistic enough to maintain a LFS distribution by 2 years! when I was in high school and had time, makepkg is not a problem for me.
Also wont ever use gnome or chromium I will stick with openbox and firefox.
>>
>>63328139
Thanks for the tip, my man, I'll use pacaur from now on.
>>
>>63319657
>apps
Go away iToddler
>>
>>63328078
>>63328043

It took me four hours to install Arch the first time, knowing nothing about Arch and Linux. Around hour and a half the second, and now I can get to a DE and back to my reddit.com/r/adviceanimals me mes within or so 20 minutes.

>>63328179
Just examples I pulled off the top of your head, I use i3 and chromium personally, but you're free to use whatever you like bby <3.

You've got to admit though, pacaur is quicker and resolves all of your dependencies.

>>63328276
No worries!
>>
>>63328322
>bby <3.
aww.
>>
So I installed fcitx with Mozc soI can type in moonrunes. I can type in hiragana easily but how the hell do I type in katakana. I have a US keyboard and I need to be able to type in both English and Japanese.
>>
tfw you update after 3 months and nothing works
>>
>>63329774

uim or Anthy?
>>
>>63318694
>only reason to use arch is something Gentoo does better
>>
>>63330360
>>63330685

I am using fcitx and it doesn't have an icon. I suppose I can install ibus or uim. Which is better?
>>
>>63330711
it doesn't. I am using gnome 3
>>
>>63330725
Well should I switch to kde or cinnamon?
>>
>>63330767
If you still want to stick GNOME-ish, you could use Budgie instead.

However, the correct answer is i3.
>>
>>63330805
I use i3 on my computer but my girlfriend(male) doesn't want to use it on hers to learn linux. So what is the best way to make a weeb box?
>>
>>63330832
Wait, what do you mean? Is trapgf wanting to learn Linux or just needs a facebook machine that you will build?

I'm a tad confused desu, can you clarify?
>>
>>63330869
Well she wants to learn both but I honestly don't want to deal with teaching her i3 right now. Eventually I will move her to i3 but I feel throwing her in the deep end of the pool will just make her go back to Windows. Anyways installed cinnamon and I figured out how to change between the two character sets. I am personally not into weeb shit I love her to death so I will learn I to like anime i suppose.
>>
>>63330951
do what I did, I was fucking tired to fix the shit computer of some family so I installed them arch with openbox and tons of keyboard shortcuts like
winkey + o = office
winkey + f = firefox
also add them to my vpn so I do remote support to them, even their shitty games and stuff runs on wine.
>>
>>63330951
Hmm, you could also use Pantheon, which looks like OS X. desu, I had a bit of trouble installing it, so I gave up. But you could use just flat Elementary OS instead if you're not entirely dead set on the arch meme.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pantheon

Also, you two should watch Your Lie in April together. Make sure you watch sub or you deserve to be shot.
>>
>>63330951
>>63331036
Also, I just found out that you can't say 'tb-h' since it autocorrects to desu, I actually never noticed it, I thought I was tired just now and typed it in.
>>
>>63330998
thinking about it.

>>63331036
Well I want her to learn. I just think i3 is a step or two too far. Sure I guess she can just open up windows and tile them but I rather her use the terminal for everything save for video and web browsing. I think that is one step too far.

I will look into that anime too though. I figure she will be a better programmer than me one day though as she can wear programming socks.
>>
''Thou shalt love big breasts''
''Thou shalt love small breasts''
''The Axis faith teaches forgiveness in all things. Whether you're a lolicon, a NEET or a questionably-human fan of animal-eared girls...As long as you're not interested in undead or devil girls, you have love in your heart, and you don't break the law, all will be forgiven.''

Join now and get a sacred soap for free!
user posted image
>>
>>63330235
try 3 weeks
fuck arch
>>
>>63319076
>If you look closely at the Wiki
See, that's the problem. Brainlets won't look at the wiki, they're too fucking stupid to read.
>>
>>63318747
>You need to have Nexus 5 or 5X to run it, though.
why? Why can I not run it on a moto g5
>>
>>63331392
>>63330235
>not reading arch news
>not forcing upgrades
>>
File: 1495068148387.png (51 KB, 512x512)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
>>
>>63330659

Layman repos doesn't have nearly the same amount if packages not mentioning their sometimes long delayed updates.

t.Person who distrohopped on every relevant distro.
>>
>>63318784
Arch was my baby's first distro, installed it in one day not knowing command line and being windowsfag for 19 years since I was born. Nowadays I install arch on 5 minutes when I need to not including downloading because it is so simple. All it takes is determination.
>>
File: 1509164719370.png (66 KB, 645x729)
66 KB
66 KB PNG
>>63331535
>
>>
File: fH80kCF_d.jpg (352 KB, 640x4310)
352 KB
352 KB JPG
>>
>>63331734
>>
>>
File: black hole brainlet.jpg (74 KB, 1024x595)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>63331813
See >>63318622

>aRCh ARHC HARD BAD ARCH BAD
>>
File: 1479711787052.jpg (37 KB, 348x342)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>63331392
>mfw arch didn't break on me a single time after using it for over 2 years
>>
>>63331575
>>not reading arch news
go to read arch news
>mfw I now have to follow arch linux, arch arm, and now arch 32
why they fuck cant they stop forking. is it really that hard to have the different forks repositories freely available and to just compile a 32 bit release of the os every so often?
>>
>>63331915
I don't need to, I already use void which is a superior distro
>>
>>63318885
Just install Debian testing.
* large repos
* easy to install and use
* very stable and secure (but dont use testing on servers)
* overall it is hasslefree and comfy
>>
>>63331960
Arch is becoming worse.
Arm should be an official architecture, but now they are dropping x86 lol
>>
>>63332166
pretty soon theyll drop x64 and only release the source and demand you compile and assemble your own iso.
well be worse off than gentoomen.
>>
Greetings. Brainlet here. I'm trying to instal arch with wireless connection. Im connected to my WEP secured network. When i try # dhcpcd wlp2s0. It does something and ends with-
wlp2s0: no ipv6 routers available
timed out
dhcpcd esited
>ping 8.8.8.8
connect: Network is unreachable
>ping www.google.com
ping: www.google.com: Name or service not known.
So what I'm doing wrong?
>>
>>63333169
looks like its trying to use ipv6 for the lan or something. Ive never seen that one before.
Just disable dhcpcd and just use wifimenu -o
>>
>>63332819
The Arch Linux Project is dropping support for the x64 architecture in favor of the rapidly growing market of Quantum Computing
>>
>>63319701

I plan to move on to gentoo as soon as i get an extra hdd to fuck around installing.

because fuck the arch devs for compiling vim without the clipboard option what a bunch of niggers
>>
>>63333211
Rebooted and used wifi-menu. After setting up connection(with wifi-menu) and unsuccessfully pinging I tried #dhcpcd wlp2s0 again and it worked. Thanks senpai. I will probably get stuck 100 more times during installation so stay frosty.
>>
File: pulseaudio.png (56 KB, 680x227)
56 KB
56 KB PNG
Pulse or ALSA?
>>
Alright, I know this isn't really an Arch problem, but how do I fix the shit mic humming/noises in linux?
>>
Does Arch still use systemd?
>>
>>63333886
ALSA unless you hate yourself
>>
>>63333503
Honestly. If I manage to finish installing this then I'll make an installation guide for literal retards.
Here's what i have done. Rebooted afterwards and i get some weird windows error screen when booting
# wifi-menu
# dhcpcd wlp2s0
# mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /mnt
# mkdir /mnt/boot
# pacstrap /mnt base (everything downloaded and installed succesfully)
# genfstab -U /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab
# arch-chroot /mnt
# passwd
# exit
# umount -R /mnt
>>
>>63334239
You might have more luck using rEFInd if you're using grub or systemd-boot.
>>
>>63322923
t. reddit
/g/ is an aqua board
>>
>>63328322
>>63328078
>>63328147
>>63331392
>>63330235
4 hours
30 minutes
3 months
3 weeks
All of these time frames are greater than what you spend on any other linux distro which is 5 minutes on install and 0 minutes on maintenance. You are being bilked by IRClets who just want their 10 minutes of attention from you on the channel. You are not fitting in there, they do this because they're laughing at you for falling for it. You are also not "learning" anything by blindly copying terminal commands from the wiki, "ubuntu normies" do the same thing as well and they don't pretend they're pseudo leet.
>>
File: arch_tan.png (933 KB, 1920x1200)
933 KB
933 KB PNG
>63318832
arch was my first real distro

i installed it after using ubuntu for about a week and having trouble with the package manager

pacman beats everything and arch's repos are l33t

AUR is a godsend
>>
>>63334381
45 minutes with arch will save you hours in the future because the repos are better than everyhting else

you havent linuxed till youve AUR'ed

most of the AUR packages work flawlessly because even the amateur package maintainers are bretty gud
>>
>>63334524
>most of the AUR packages work flawlessly because even the amateur package maintainers are bretty gud
not true, many packages fail to compile and some of them do some outright nasty shit to your system due to poor scripting.

There really should be some authority/group that regularly checks and prunes unmaintained/broken AUR packages, or atleast flag them.
>>
File: jap_gril.jpg (295 KB, 859x1280)
295 KB
295 KB JPG
>>63330951
awesome is better than i3
>>
>>63334562
only if you take the time to mold it to your liking.

I cringe everytime i see someone running stock awesome with a riced status bar and a wallpaper.

Seriously, all of you lua and all you can manage is colored ram usage.
>>
>>63334524
Yet a few posts back (and in every arch thread) you see updates being defended by "only spending a few hours" every update reading mailing lists. Next you'll say you should just wait to upgrade which would defeat the entire point of "rolling release". Why do you need this? What new feature do you need in software to justify spending hours each time, versus getting it 3 weeks later in another distro's unstable version. The reason is this has nothing to do with the package manager, it's designed to get new users to fail on purpose so you can form secret clubs.
>>
File: all.png (1.35 MB, 3842x1080)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB PNG
>>63330805
you mean awesome
>>
>>63334547
Gee, you're right, I wonder if such a thing exists. Oh it's every package manager in every other distro ever 15 years ago. They have volunteers who can flag a package when someone in the unstable version has a legitimate problem with it, which is quite possibly the entire point in the first place of having 2-3 branches. There will never be such a thing in arch because this isn't a linux distro it's a fashion accessory.
>>
>>63334612
Im talking about the AUR you stupid cunt.
You probably have no idea what that is, but you'll shitpost anyway.
>>
File: 1506622657014.jpg (127 KB, 1680x1050)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>63334577
>What new feature do you need in software to justify spending hours each time

Security is one. Generally improvements is another. And arch has better support than any of the side channel unstable releases for other distros. Seriously the community is LARGE and because it's the main line distro the solutions are expedient.

Personally, I just trust the updates and rarely read about them. The one time I had a problem I just went to the arch irc and asked for help and someone was kind enough to sort me out and it was fixed within a couple hours.

>The reason is this has nothing to do with the package manager, it's designed to get new users to fail on purpose so you can form secret clubs.

Are you implying there is a conspiracy?
>>
>>63334585
>posting Elv13's config
That man is a god, stop taking credit for his shit.

>tfw you will never have you awesome riced as much as that :/
>>
>>63334319
>grub
so its a bootloader's fault? I have been using one already created by win10 installation. Now i deleted it and made a new one in gparted (with boot and ESP flags). Now after installing arch it I get "install proper boot media device". Gdisk shows ef00 code for this partition. I have no idea what to do next.
>>
>>63334676
>Are you implying there is a conspiracy?
no, hes just being retarded.

Literally had apt shit itself countless times for no reason whatsoever, whereas i never ever had a problem with pacman itself.
This is why i never use debian anymore and run arch almost exclusively nowdays.
>>
>arch
>don't be autistic
pick one
>>
>>63334698
>so its a bootloader's fault? I have been using one already created by win10 installation.
use grub, it supports booting windows directly now.

Im not sure what you're getting at with your post, are you saying you're using the windows bootloader to dualboot?

And theres no reason to use anything other than grub, it just werks, you're just asking for more headache by changing it.
>>
>>63334547
>not true, many packages fail to compile

Only for the fringe stuff. All of the popular AUR packages are sorted out and there is a thing called reading the comments of the package. Usually someone has a work around to install the package and most of the time within a few months the package werks.

>>63334612
>unstable version
The unstable channels of distros have hardly the community or support arch does. Have fun being the broken step child, while in arch there is full on commitment to be the best.

>this isn't a linux distro it's a fashion accessory.
You mean the easiest and most user friendly OS, unless youre a complete retard, with the best repos on the planet.
>>
>>63334746
>Usually someone has a work around to install the package and most of the time within a few months the package werks.
yes, very convenient.
might aswell compile it myself.
>>
File: 1464991033333.jpg (18 KB, 452x548)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>63333893
Guys? There's really no way to get rid of mic noise on Linux? I've looked everywhere and found nothing.
>>
File: NMc3UD3.png (940 KB, 1916x1080)
940 KB
940 KB PNG
>>63334677
Not taking credit just showing what's possible. He's a dev for awesome and you dont have to install his whole setup. Instead you can just focus on bits and pieces, and it will teach you programming in LUA.

Admittedly i haven't actually done this yet but it's something i've been meaning to get around to sooner or later.

When I do get around to tinkering with awesome elv13's reddit account it a treasure trove of information in his comments, and you can message him directly if you want or comment on something.
>>
>>63319226
>freetard
>anti-systemd
systemd, whether you like or not, fully qualifies as free software. It does have issues, but they are technical ones, not ethical or ideological ones.
>>
>>63334785
>and you can message him directly if you want or comment on something.
oh yeah im familiar with him, hes always my goto guy on irc, never fails me.
>>
>>63334785
That's the most autistic desktop I've ever seen.
Fuck.
>>
>>63334573
Stock awesome is bretty gud though. I just moved the bar to the bottom of the screen and changed the icons and I loved it. Also the keyboard switcher and volume widgets are handy and not too hard to install. Learning LUA is good for you anyway.
>>
>>63334702
Fucking this.
Debian is overrated as fuck. Its package manager alone is reason enough to prefer Arch.
>>
File: img_58b78e2ba7f7d.png (21 KB, 624x255)
21 KB
21 KB PNG
>>63334720
I was using ESP partition created by windows 10. now i created one myself. Only difference now is that instead of blue windows error screen PC doenst see any bootable media.
I am trying to make it work with uefi/gpt because my netbook probably isn't compatible with bios/mbr. I don't see any compalibility options in uefi.
>>
>>63334746
Arch and trendfag distros in 2017 (or 2007 for that matter) are like stanced civics. Basically a bunch of losers got together and asked how can they pretend to not be poor and stupid when they were told they were a snowflake, yet you have the same car as everyone else. The answer is to intelligently ruin your car and pretend you're part of some secret internet movement where you claim it's superior for no other reason than it being different. Then whenever the topic of performance comes up just laugh and say you don't "get it" as you spend 30 minutes each time lifting the piece of shit over every speed bump or obstacle in town.
>>
File: th92K1o.png (136 KB, 1285x803)
136 KB
136 KB PNG
>>63334792
awesome's irc channel is great

>>63334795
It's the cyberpunk future we've been promised and it's available now. No more skeumorphic apple shit.
>>
>>63334585
>>63334785
>>63334837
Damn, that's some Deus Ex shit.
>>
File: archanime.png (1.88 MB, 1920x1080)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB PNG
Just installed Arch yesterday. Do I have to start watching anime now?
>>
>>63334837
>That font spacing
Get a better terminal friendo
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (78 KB, 1024x768)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>63334831
More like arch is like Legos. All the bits and pieces fit together with the help of the best repos available in the world. Other distros are hobbled together libraries from different repos. With arch you don't have to wget some random shit off of github like you do with debian.

Yes arch is like a honda civic because hondas are known to fit together like legos and you can easily change the components. Arch is like an ar-15. Debian is like a DOGMATIC ak-47.

The only solid argument against arch is systemd although I haven't had problems but the security aspect is a legit concern.

There is even Black Arch, which functions as a repo for your favorite skiddie passtime.
>https://github.com/BlackArch/blackarch/commits/master
>>
>>63334904
not my setup and i think this was just for demonstration purposes by one of the awesome devs
>>
File: 1497387075908.jpg (15 KB, 500x343)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
So, if I wanted to switch from Gnome to Awesome, would disabling gdm be enough or I would've to reinstall Arch all over again?
>>
>>63334757
Why would you compile it yourself when you can copy paste from the comments?

Most of the time it's just an issue with the gpg keys.

Other times it's just a dependency or something and like i said, most of the time someone else has already experienced and solved the problem you are encountering.

The bottom line is that the vast majority of the packages werk, especially the popular ones and it's a blessing that the AUR exists at all. I'm not aware of anything else like it.
>>
>>63334827
sorry, i cant help you much with you EFI, i avoid it like the plague personally
but do take a look at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#GUID_Partition_Table_.28GPT.29_specific_instructions
>>
>>63334996
You don't even need to disable GDM, it'll probably show Awesome as an option on the login screen the next time you login.
>>
File: 116229-archanimegirl.jpg (451 KB, 1280x1024)
451 KB
451 KB JPG
>>63334702
>>63334811
>Literally had apt shit itself countless times for no reason whatsoever.

Literally my experience as well. My first distro was ubuntu and apt was a pain in the fucking ass and the only solution was to read comments on the ubuntu shit forum while arch had a full on wiki AND the forum.

If it wasn't for 4chan I would have never known about arch. Luckily the wiki and the people saying that Arch was the best attracted me to the best distro. Also the desktop threads with the arch ricers made me want to try it.
>>
>>63335041
>Why would you compile it yourself when you can copy paste from the comments?
because its faster than waiting 1 month for someone to come up with a makeshift fix
>>63335041
>Most of the time it's just an issue with the gpg keys.
Not true, yes ive ran into gpg key problems but thats not the usual case im talking about.
Also stop importing random gpg keys without verifying their trust, you're only asking for trouble.

>>63335041
>Other times it's just a dependency or something and like i said, most of the time someone else has already experienced and solved the problem you are encountering.
Thats the problem, and its not "just a dependency" most of the time its the wrong version sometimes theres no way around it.
And sometimes its retarded kid tier scripting that causes it, which why compiling it manually is better.

>>63335041
>The bottom line is that the vast majority of the packages werk, especially the popular ones and it's a blessing that the AUR exists at all. I'm not aware of anything else like it.
the AUR is not unique, have you tried gentoo's overlays before? (not meming here"

Not shitting on the AUR, it is a blessing, theres no way an official repo can have every piece of software ever, but the AUR is not the magical heaven you try to make it out to be.

Always take care when installing shit from the AUR and do try to keep AUR packages down to the minimum necessary.

And like i said i personally prefer to compile it myself and store in ~/.local/share rather than trust a random package
>>
>>63334996
Just install awesome and it will show up under the GDM menu.
Although since you're asking that question, awesome may not be for and id recommend you start with i3 instead.
>>
>>63334720
Ok. I changed drive type to grub and created one ext4 partition. Redid all the steps from >>63334239
Still no booty :( Well at least i was able to install arch onto the drive...
>>
File: 33.jpg (52 KB, 700x525)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>63334876
the future is just one download away anon..
>>
>>63335082
>>63335116
Alright, I'll start with i3wm, then. Thanks, guys.
>>
>>63335140
are you actually installing a bootloader?

From your post >>63334239
it doesnt look like you are.

you to generate a grub config inside the chroot do
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

and then install it
grub-install /dev/sda (or whatever your harddrive is)

again double check these things and follow the wiki
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#GUID_Partition_Table_.28GPT.29_specific_instructions
>>
>>63318885
I use arch anywhere all the time, I like it because you can have the installer download a lot of software for you during the installation process, so you get a functional desktop with the programs you want immediately. Also you can choked between different kernels, shells, and file systems. Ofc these things can be done after install, but it sure is convenient.
>>
>>63318622
>an easier distro, like Debian
99% of /g/ Arch users couldn't roll a new Debian source package, that complies with distribution guidelines, to save their life.
>>
>>63318885
i prefer to boot my livecd of choice (currently slitaz) and use the bootstrap image
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Install_from_existing_Linux#From_a_host_running_another_Linux_distribution
>>
>>63335217
No shit, making a PKGBUILD is significantly easier than making a debian one
>>
File: 1507579390256.png (237 KB, 632x417)
237 KB
237 KB PNG
>>63335100
>>63335100
Which packages are you talking about, just curious? I'm not trying to diminish your problem, but the only problem i've had is with weird ruby gems that I didn't even end up using or needing for what I was doing.

>Also stop importing random gpg keys without verifying their trust, you're only asking for trouble.
Meh, if other people haven't had problems what is the likelihood that something will happen to me?

>have you tried gentoo's overlays before?
No, installing gentoo is something that I do want to try in the near future though as soon as i have time.. I can't imagine that gentoo's community is as well sorted out as the popular AUR packages though.

>Not shitting on the AUR, it is a blessing, theres no way an official repo can have every piece of software ever, but the AUR is not the magical heaven you try to make it out to be.

You just admitted it was a blessing. It's not perfect, I'll admit that, but it really is the best collection of packages maintained by amateur maintainers on the net thus far. So many times I can find something on the aur which I would have had to wget off of github otherwise and this way my software is organized.

>Always take care when installing shit from the AUR and do try to keep AUR packages down to the minimum necessary.

Are you implying there is a security concern? Like I said, the popular packages seem well sorted out and if no one else reports problems then isn't that a sign that the likelihood of problem occurring for you is relatively small?

>And like i said i personally prefer to compile it myself and store in ~/.local/share rather than trust a random package

I guess that is a sound approach but then your system starts to get messy and disorganized? When you remove software do you ever forget about some random files or anything? I feel like if it's not linked to pacman i might forget about it and then that is clutter.
>>
>>63335217
>implying not being able to roll a shit distro source package when the process is unnecessarily complicated is a bad thing
>>
>>63335271
The (((Tax man))).
>>
I'm having trouble connecting to WIFI via netctl and wpa_supplicant. Anyone care to help?

Hardware and drivers are supported, had it working before I moved to a new house.
>>
>>63335217
why would an arch user want to roll a debian source package
i bet 99% of windows users couldnt compile a BSD kernel to save their life
>>
>>63335271
>Which packages are you talking about, just curious? I'm not trying to diminish your problem, but the only problem i've had is with weird ruby gems that I didn't even end up using or needing for what I was doing.
cant recall anything specific, but recently i tried installing anbox and it completely failed to run, although that wasnt the aur's fault

>>63335271
>Are you implying there is a security concern? Like I said, the popular packages seem well sorted out and if no one else reports problems then isn't that a sign that the likelihood of problem occurring for you is relatively small?
Not a security concern (although the aur is less secure than the official repos but thats another thing), i'm talking about maintenance here, you'll know what i mean when you try to upgrade you aur packages (you do update them don't you?)

Also they can fuck over your system, especially the low quality ones, the more you install the more unknown variables you add and the higher your chances are of something going wrong.

>>63335271
>I guess that is a sound approach but then your system starts to get messy and disorganized? When you remove software do you ever forget about some random files or anything? I feel like if it's not linked to pacman i might forget about it and then that is clutter.
Nope, i already have my home directory pretty well sorted out, and im running more and more services as my own unpriviliged user rather than root as it keeps everything neatly packed in my home directory.
>>
>>63335310
Use NetworkManager.
netctl is shit, just uninstall it.
>>
>>63335310
# wpa_supplicant -i interface -c <(wpa_passphrase "your_SSID" "your_key")

"interface" is usually wlan0 or wlp3s0.
Then run
dhcpd -b -i interface

and next time remember to check the Wiki! https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_network_configuration
>>
File: 81Jp2l6fX7L.jpg (292 KB, 1644x2090)
292 KB
292 KB JPG
>>63335181
don't listen to him

I'm a n00b and stock awesome is easy as pie and tweaking is as simple as editing the config file which is just a very simple and organized LUA script. It really is cake. If a relative nub like me can do it so can you, and learning a bit of LUA will advance your knowledge.

The trick to awesome is just knowing which parts of the LUA script to edit and following the arch's wiki tips and tricks section. I had some trouble with the menu of programs but once I ran the script to generate a program list I was all sorted out.

Trust me, awesome is the future and you are only prolonging your noobdom by using something like i3.

Also, reading the creator of LUA's book wouldnt hurt, but it's not necessary to get up and running with awesome. And you can try out your awesome configs in a virtual machine before starting a session.

You can google search for the LUA book and get it for free, although i dont officially condone downloading anything illegally. Expand your mind. It doesnt hurt.
>>
>>63335401
Silly you
Learning LUA will not advance your fucking knowledge if you will not ever going to use it on anything else.
A simple config file is still the better choice
>>
>>63335441
>you will never use lua for anything else.

that was a bit retarded anon, lua is everywhere, and its one of the better scripting languages out there.
>>
>>63335351

>Also they can fuck over your system, especially the low quality ones, the more you install the more unknown variables you add and the higher your chances are of something going wrong.

I guess that's true but can't you just fix it if something breaks? I know it's frustrating when your system breaks, like something fucking up X. But the solutions are hardly ever impossible and I haven't experienced something that has taken longer than a couple hours and some help from the irc guys, who have been IME more than willing to help.

Have you ever experienced a total system break and not been able to fix it?

And ofc I know this is all anecdotal but I upgrade my packages all the time and have only had really a couple problems over the past 5 years, which had to do with X and some rubby shit.

>Nope, i already have my home directory pretty well sorted out, and im running more and more services as my own unpriviliged user rather than root as it keeps everything neatly packed in my home directory.

Excuse me for being a noob but isn't that the same thing as running a service with sudo?
>>
>>63335441
yeah cause scripting languages aren't similar and experience in one language doesn't transfer to the other..
>>
>>63335480
No it's not, python is more common for scripting nowadays
>>
>>63335484
>I guess that's true but can't you just fix it if something breaks? I know it's frustrating when your system breaks, like something fucking up X. But the solutions are hardly ever impossible and I haven't experienced something that has taken longer than a couple hours and some help from the irc guys, who have been IME more than willing to help.
the hard part is finding the source of the problem, even harder when you're using unofficial/obscure packages.

>>63335484
>Have you ever experienced a total system break and not been able to fix it?
Not since my first ubuntu, no, although ive got some experience under my belt (not by any means saying ive mastered anything) so i can rescue system regardless of anything.

Although ive recently had to reinstall my arch because of random tiny problems and slowdowns, but mostly because i was too lazy to fix everything and i wanted to reformat and do full disk encryption anyway.

>>63335484
>Excuse me for being a noob but isn't that the same thing as running a service with sudo?
You dont, you run them as your user, and im not talking about every service, just the ones you should actually be running as your own user eg: mpd, ftp server transmission server etc
>>
>>63335514
>>63335480
Lua is only used in nginx, mpv and old game engines
>>
>>63335514
LUA's use case is completely different than that of python
>>
File: 90s_barf.png (171 KB, 736x552)
171 KB
171 KB PNG
>>63335441

>A simple config file is still the better choice

You also fail to understand the breadth of what awesome is about. Sure i3 is simple to get up and running but you cannot even float windows with it. With awesome the sky is the limit and you can spend time making your own autism cyberpunk UI.

And like I keep reiterating, the stock awesome that you first set up is bretty gud and easy to make some simple tweaks to, and right off the bat you get more functionality than i3 because you get floatable windows.

Awesome isn't just a windows manager but rather a whole UI framework that has the potential to revolutionize the way we interact with our monitors. Death to skeumorphic 90s dogshit!
>>
>>63335583
>you cannot even float windows with it
>what is super+shift+space
>>
>>63335558
yes, and a few others
https://sites.google.com/site/marbux/home/where-lua-is-used
>>
File: language-tree.png (1.46 MB, 1232x642)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB PNG
>>63335514
yeah cause learning a bit of LUA wont make you a better python programmer, C ++ programmer, etc..

You dont think people who speak multiple languages have a better understand of language, and thought processes, as a whole?
>>
>>63335583
>You also fail to understand the breadth of what awesome is about. Sure i3 is simple to get up and running but you cannot even float windows with it. With awesome the sky is the limit and you can spend time making your own autism cyberpunk UI.
Except you faggots basically run stock awesome and never do anything with except for colored ram/cpu usage. really grinds my gear.

Don't talk about awesome unless you got some serious custom shit going on.

If you're gonna stick to stock then i3 is the superior option.
>>
>>63335380
Yeah that's the same command I'm getting errors with. Thanks for noticing me senpai.

Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
wlp3s0: SME: Trying to authenticate with mac:add:ress (SSID='ssid' freq=2437 MHz)
wlp3s0: Trying to associate with mac:add:ress (SSID='ssid' freq=2437 MHz)
wlp3s0: Associated with mac:add:ress
wlp3s0: CTRL-EVENT-SUBNET-STATUS-UPDATE status=0
wlp3s0: CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED bssid=mac:add:ress reason=3 locally_generated=1

Hmm maybe just install NetworkManager instead ...?
>>
>>63335181
I like i3 better than Awesome. But yeah you can have multiple window managers installed and available at a time.
>>
>>63318622
Arch endorses Systemd therefore it has no plce on /g/
>>
systemd is free software
>>
>>63335583
>>63335618
Fucking a
I don't need to learn something new just so I can toggle a few config options.
Jesus, this is not hard to understand
>>
>>63335598
Oh well the wikis i have seen referencing i3 have classified it as tiling only and awesome as tiling/floating. Can you float multiple windows in i3?

>https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/window_manager#Tiling_window_managers

This wiki lists awesome as dynamic and i3 as tiling only. I also think that i3 is ugly and awesome allows you to customize it however you want..
>>
>>63335669
You don't have to learn the entire thing but brushing up on it a bit will not hurt you. Youre going to spend a few hours shitposting tonight aren't you? Why not just learn even the most basic syntax of LUA so you can make your own cyberpunk UI? The basics of the programming language are simple and very very similar to all the modern scripting languages in use.
>>
File: i3.png (1.24 MB, 1366x768)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB PNG
>>63335708
You be the judge.
Nothing agains awesome, it's pretty great. I just prefer i3 since it's slightly simpler to use and does what I need.
>>
>>63335548
>the hard part is finding the source of the problem, even harder when you're using unofficial/obscure packages.

Well yeah I understand but admittedly we should all be using back ups and such.. I see your point but that is a problem that is intrinsic to all distros that would be using obscure packages. So you are saying that compiling the package yourself eliminates this problem?

And anyways the point is that arch has the aur as an option for those that wish to use it. There is not rule that you have to install those packages.. but theyre there if you want them and most of the popular ones have enough people using them that you get the benefit of open source and a community.

>Not since my first ubuntu,

Yeah ubuntu shit itself right away for me to. That was my first experience with linux and i couldnt understand why ubuntu gets the reputation it does as being user friendly.

>because of random tiny problems and slowdowns

Anything specific? Just wondering because its a good warning for the rest of us. I personally had problems with Ruby gems from the black arch repository, for example.

>You dont, you run them as your user, and im not talking about every service, just the ones you should actually be running as your own user eg: mpd, ftp server transmission server etc

Like how you can yaourt or pacaur without using sudo? Do you run systemd processes and daemons as a user to? I only have to sudo when accessing file with permissions and systemctl stuff.
>>
>>63335756
Admittedly i havent tried i3 but i just am enthusiastic about persuading others to join the awesome community.

I guess i should probably try i3 but the fact that it cant be expanded triggers me.
>>
>>63335630
Yeah but relatively stock awesome is basically just as easy as i3 though. You really can't edit a LUA script that is a template?
>>
>>63335812
>Well yeah I understand but admittedly we should all be using back ups and such.. I see your point but that is a problem that is intrinsic to all distros that would be using obscure packages. So you are saying that compiling the package yourself eliminates this problem?
The point is that you're not dirtying your /
also you go through the installation step by step so you have an idea of whats being installed.

>>63335812
>Anything specific? Just wondering because its a good warning for the rest of us. I personally had problems with Ruby gems from the black arch repository, for example.
I remember some kernel messages about acpi, but it turned out to be a false flag, also the slowdowns were caused by the crappy ecryptfs encryption (word of advice, dont use it) which is what really drove me to reformat to do luks encryption.
Also i had a ton of packages that i never used and only installed them to try and never removed them, my updates were getting ridiculous
>>
>>63335882
not really, you can easily forget a comma in the end of a list and end up with a broken config in awesome.
Just saying, if you're going stock might aswell stick to i3
>>
is there a way to get simple tiling windows with xfce?
>>
>>63336066
try running your wm with xfce panel and xfce session daemon
>>
>>63318622
>Rules:
>1) Don't be autistic
>OP breaking his own rule
>>
Manjaro
>>
In the process of installing Arch. How can I install the firmware for my network card? The driver is in AUR and is called rt3290sta-dkms 2.6.0.0-5.
>>
>>63337016
you have to put it on a usb disk and access it with the live disk

i guess you have to use pacman to install the driver before setting up a network connection

Here is a similar question that was asked in the forum:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=179004

You can also make an account on the forum or go on their IRC and im sure someone would have some healthy input for you.
>>
File: IMG_20171112_200834356.jpg (729 KB, 3782x1476)
729 KB
729 KB JPG
>>63337096
Actually, I think that it's okay and my card functions as it should. Here's a photo, can you tell me if it's alright?
>>
>>63337174
Discovered on the wiki that the card is supported, so it's okay.
>>
>>63318777
Really? I actually switched all of my machines from Arch-OpenRC to Artix a while ago and I haven't had any issues. As far as I can tell, I think their biggest issue is that the graphical installer has some bugs but I don't really care about that. Do you have Arch''s core repo disabled? I run all the Artix testing repos along with extra and community from Arch.
>>
>>63319076
Having to read the wiki constantly is the definition of harder than other distros. There's people who can't even figure out how to install software from repos, and you want to push Arch on them? Not to mention it by design doesn't implement any fixes or optimizations so people will install XFCE and see the shit defaults and bail.
>>
Maybe Arch anywhere really is a piece of shit. I just installed a base Arch system with it and it can't download packages from any mirrors. I can't get it to Ping websites either. It seems I have no internet connection whatsoever despite having use the internet to install the damn thing. Is this system salvageable? If not, I'll probably use Antergos to install a base system the lazy way.
>>
>>63338062
use the wiki fucking goddammit.
Your network isnt setup.
You can salvage it, but you don't have the skills to do it, if you had done a regular install you wouldn't be in that mess.

anyway tl;dr boot into a livecd, chroot in your arch install, and install networkmanager
>>
>>63338251
And this, my friends, is why manually installing Arch is unironically a good idea.
If you manage to get your network connection running during installation by hand, you'll have no problem later on. But if you rely on an installer...
>>
>>63338251
I could have fucking swore that Arch anywhere installed network manager. Once I get this system fully functional I'll set aside some time to learn how to do it all completely manually. I swear the arch anywhere devs make the Manjaro team look like John Carmack.

And despite that I'm going to give Manjaro one last chance on my laptop. Reinstalling it with the architect installer. If it's still fucks up with a minimal system, they're dead to me. This is mostly because I'm not comfortable running the exact same system on all of my computer's. I figure it's safer to have a slightly different set up on each computer so if one encounters a bug it won't occur on other computers.
>>
>>63338925
It does, you just fucked something.
>>
Just be a normal human being and install Antergos. It's the same thing and not fucked up with shitty custom repos like Manjaro.
>>
>>63339227
Probably. No telling what though. I'm lazy and impatient so I'm just going to right over it with a new system and hope I don't fuck my my SSD. At the end of the install I use Arch anywhere to change route into the new system and install some basic stuff from there, making sure it has network manager.

All this planning on a new PC build and I didn't practice installing Arch running VM. I feel really fucking stupid right now.
Then again using vanilla Arch was someone of a last-minute decision. I was going to use Manjaro I3 but numerous things in it or just plain broken. Your community editions are real embarrassment. I once installed the Mate edition and couldn't install updates on a fresh install. They shouldn't be offering them on their website. They're probably the worst developers in the whole Lenox community.
>>
>>63339329
Sorry to double post but I missed your post.

Antergos has its own undesired bloatware, particularly it's horrible display manager. If I'm going to write over a functional Arch system anyway, I might use It to create a bare minimum system to build up from and change some reposting configs to make it if it'll Arch. Maybe I'm getting what I deserve having all these extra problems for trying to take shortcuts on a do-it-yourself distro?
>>
>>63335641
$ killall wpa_supplicant

then try again
>>
File: 1502702858864.jpg (86 KB, 600x941)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>63318622
>>
File: brainlet.jpg (79 KB, 874x684)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>63335756
Can someone tell me how to get the wifi window in this photo?
>>
>>63339610
you just install it with pacman :^)
>>
>>63339476
>Antergos has its own undesired bloatware, particularly it's horrible display manager.
What are you even talking about? You can do a minimal install and it'll basically be Arch except done by an installer. There is virtually no reason to install Arch manually if you've done it already before, just use Antergos.
>>
>>63338062
Stop trying to feel leet and use a proper Arch installer like Antergos.
>>
>>63339684
I said I was going to use it to set up a minimal install. I used it before but with a desktop environment pre-configured and the display manager and package manager were terrible. I'm just knowledgeable enough to build up something from a base install. Still think I'll learn how to install from scratch on the official ISO so I can at least say I know how / did it.
>>
>>63331636
>t.Person who distrohopped on every relevant distro.
You mean pretty much every Linux poweruser.
>>
>>63338062
https://github.com/helmuthdu/aui
>>
>>63334585
not awesome as xfce4
>>
>>63340553
the deskbar option in the xfce4 panel is so fucking good

i made it work like BeOS
>>
>>63339708
HOT bait
there is no 'proper' arch installer
dont use manjina either
ITS 10 FUCKING COMMANDS TO INSTALL ARCH
>>
>>63340898
and another 1000 to get it properly setup and usable
>>
>>63340150
I skipped Opensuse and Red Hat desu
>>
best install method is the bootstrap image.

get you livecd of choice, literally anything and it can be a full blown distro such as knopix.

download bootstrap archive
unpack it on the destination root partition
chroot
start installing
all in the comfort of your chosen livecd, with a working browser to check the wiki.

anything else and you might just aswell install ubuntu
>>
>>63330805
but muh woobly windows
>>
>>63339823
Is this bait? Antergos uses pacman, you choose your DM.
>>
>>63334507
any chance you got this wall without the quote?
>>
>>63341365
It Installs a DM but also a display manager I hate and a pretty lousy front end for pacman and the Aur. I'm only going to install KDE for KDE connect then use Luke Smith's bash script to install his i3 rice. The only thing I change about it is reverting the functionality of the caps lock key. I just don't like it when keys do things other than what they're labeled for, even though I'm trying to learn to touch type.
>>
>>63341551
Really weird bait.
>>
>>63341702
Dead serious. I have just enough know how to build up parts from a base install but not the official installer. I've had it with other Arch based distros adding stuff I don't want or need and also like to do it this way for fun. Probably not tonight though, I've had enough frustration this weekend. I'm going to enjoy some more video games on my windows partition before setting up my real operating system and configure VMware to run the windows partition on a VM and start messing around with wine configs.

Because I know you're going to ask, I was professionally diagnosed with autism at an early age.
>>
>>63319008
Because if you have Gentoo, you dont have friends.
Dont go Gentoo way....you will be alone.
>>
>>63341862
Instead of that, just GPU passthrough to a VM and you'll be able to play games with around a 5% performance loss.
>>
NEW THREAD:
>>63342202
>>63342202
>>63342202
>>63342202
>>
>>63326706
Arch was my first distro and it has been great. Took a few days to get everything set up but I'm a lot more knowledgeable for it and linux is easy as fuck now. I feel like if you just used Ubuntu you'd never learn shit, like using Ubuntu for 2 years wouldn't make using Arch any easier at all.
>>
>>63334239
>pacstrap /mnt base
pacstrap /mnt base base-devel
the base devel option includes tons of shit youll probably need.

>>63335140
Im seeing nothing about making or installing your boot partition.
is this x64? efi or bios?
>>
>>63333369
>the rapidly growing market of Quantum Computing
o Im laffin
>>
Frick off topkunk
>>
this one time my non linux using friends noticed my rice and said it looked cool.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.