[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

>Business was booming between 2007 and 2014, when customers bought up expensive LED light bulbs to replace their inefficient incandescents.
>But there's a problem for light bulb makers like GE: LEDs last for decades. With no need to replace them, the bottom fell out of the market. Prices -- and revenue -- began to tumble.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/13/news/companies/ge-light-bulbs/index.html

But, I thought large companies intentionally hold back innovation to make sure people keep buying, just like drug companies hiding the cure for cancer?
>>
>>63367850
In the very early 20th century big light bulb companies agreed to each other not to make bulbs that last long otherwise they'll all be out of business. Same thing is probably going to happen to LEDs.
>>
>>63368381
Too bad there are 20 different companies pumping out LEDs and half of them are in China, making such cartel coordination impossible as opposed to the era when GE, Philips, and Osram controlled nearly 100% of incandescent bulb market share.
>>
>>63367850
I do find it ironic that LEDs are all you can find now that CFLs finally got good. Tesla fags BTFO.
>>
>>63368429
LEDs have little to no flicker while the best CFL bulb still flickers a bit.
>>
>>63368454
>LEDs have little to no flicker
90% of them flicker and it's worse than CFL flickering regarding eye sore.
>>
in my country the market is so crippled that the government handles them for free by the dozen so that manufacturers and importers don't go bankrupt.

i just got 25 of them of all sizes for 1€, shipment included.
>>
>>63367850
Weird time to exit now when IKEA just announced their first OLED lamp which is really fucking expensive for what it is.
>>
Are IKEA bulbs any good?
>>
File: 1494181387838.png (344 KB, 667x615)
344 KB
344 KB PNG
>>63368596
Just need to get power lines now, Romanian monkey
>>
>>63368681
nope.rar, france.

the market is almost completely subsidized at this point and i got a lifetime worth of free led bulbs for me which is nice

this will help households cutting their energy bills, reducing the CO2 footprint, reaching paris agreement levels of emissions (the agreement your monkey of a president refused to sign)
>>
File: 1496856102029.jpg (69 KB, 367x451)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>63368767
>he still buys in to the CO2 footprint meme
>>
>>63368767
Where the fuck do you find cheap bulbs? I'm french too and light bulbs cost an arm and a leg in my local supermarket.
>>
>>63368652
no they're a piece of dookie. Last ones I got got that horrible whine I had to return the entire set.
>>
>>63367850
> GE is exiting lighting business
Good choice. China makes better bulbs cheaper anyhow.

It'd be bad if Cree or Epistar or perhaps Nichia stopped making LED chips.

>>63368515
Buy the 10% that don't. You can get them from like $1.5-3 depending on wattage and chip.
>>
File: 1453003108175.jpg (73 KB, 620x600)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
tfw 2700K LED bulbs everywhere.

Feels bretty fucking good compared to the shitty zombie-blue of CFLs
>>
>>63369156
> Where the fuck do you find cheap bulbs? I
Not same anon and not french, but Ikea should have some.

The rest you should probably just order directly from China.
>>
File: 0409129_PE570337_S5.jpg (146 KB, 2000x2000)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>63368652
They're likely on chinkier shit end of the spectrum as far as I know. IKEA made a killing from lightbulbs as every customer bought a dozen, their CFLs felt like they broke quicker than other makes in an effort to recuperate lost sales when the EU banned incandescent bulbs... but it may just be me. I mostly haven't gotten around to buying IKEA's LEDs because they didn't have the specs I wanted.
I've considered getting their VÄXTER plant lamp, never got around to pulling the trigger.

It is my understanding that the difference between chink shit and name brand LED bulbs are mostly the price tag. Except in America where UV radiation and flickering is acceptable.
>>
>>63367850

There were no strict control of patents for leds.
>>
>>63369229
> It is my understanding that the difference between chink shit and name brand LED bulbs are mostly the price tag.
There aren't really any types of LED lamps that the Chinese don't make, no.

> Except in America where UV radiation and flickering is acceptable.
UV radiation? Eh, do any chips unexpectedly have a substantial amount of that?

And flickering at the frequency of the power grid is just a feature of the cheapest LED.
>>
>>63367850
Well, maybe you were wrong?
>>
>>63369492
There are other big companies that are monopoly (at least in a certain area, often because of patents or copyright on software or such) or duopoly.

They sure occasionally hold back something or just don't give a fuck about improving much. It's not always the case, but occasionally.

It just doesn't happen easily (if ever at all) if you have an actual living market with a good bunch of independent manufacturers on multiple continents and countries.
>>
>>63367850
>>63368381
>>63368422

Work at philips, AMA.
>>
>>63369879
huehuehue
>>
>>63368596
where fellow frenchfag? I've got a few for free but not 25.
>>
>>63371510
It's at the refugee camp in downtown Paris. Ask for Abdul, tell him that Mehmet sent you.
>>
>>63369879
General question

which lightbulbs are actually good?

Across any brand, here in denmark its fucking impossible to know which ones are good or bad, even if they "list" the same specs.
>>
File: 1460115836494.jpg (68 KB, 700x700)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>tfw your landlord replaces the entire apartment building's lighting system with 4-pin compact cfls
>>
>>63367850

Companies that have monopolies do take part in planned obsolescence, but it's not possible to have a monopoly on LEDs.
>>
>>63367850
>LEDs last for decades
Too bad that the crappy power supplies the chinks put into the bulbs don't.
>>
>>63369188
How are even supposed to know which ones are good and which ones are bad? Am I supposed to follow lamp reviews now?
>>
>>63372028
Stop being a lazy fuck and do some research before making purchases like someone who isn't a completely brain dead consumer.
>>
Yellow light or blue?
>>
>>63368652
Most IKEA bulbs are really good.

http://lamptest.ru/results/?brand_5=on&type_1=on
The numbers go: price - W - Lm - efficiency% - Incadescent equivalent - Color temperature in K - CRI - angle - flicker% - score - warranty
>>
>>63372169
Variable.

"blue" when you need to be awake.
"yellow" in the evening.
>>
even "soft" "softened" "tinted" or "yellow" led light is blue spectrum which is damaging to the retina for extended periods

you have to reflect and refrect the light multiple times to reduce the wavelength to acceptable levels

all of them also require a transformer to make DC signal, this produces RF also known as "noise" which produce a hum to those who are sensitive to it

they do have benefits as cost, life, and not worrying about broken glass cuts with kids

just remeber if you get shitty bulbs that have this qualities then dont ever expose people to direct light.(overhead)

all of my led lights have shrouds and i aim them into room corners to reflect the light evenly another good idea would be to encase them in water or something thicker that isnt conductive would be best.
>>
>>63372028
>Am I supposed to follow lamp reviews now?

Yes.

And why not?
Good LED's last a a decade or two.
You want to have flickering crap with a shit spectrum for the next 15 years?
>>
>>63372272
>you have to reflect and refrect the light multiple times to reduce the wavelength to acceptable levels

>thinks reflecting light changes the wavelength
>thinks blue is longer wavelength than red.

wow you know absolutely nothing huh?
>>
>>63372206
Oh and if you do not like greenish-tinted shitty lamps, do note the CRI. No manufacturer except IKEA seems to pay enough attention to that.
>>
>>63369879
What's the profit margin on Philips Hue bulbs?
>>
>>63369229
I too have strong feelings about sunlight fellow vamp- ah- i mean fellow neckbeard. I dream of a dimly lit blue tinted future with neither hateful warm yellows or uv
>>
>>63372311
>wow you know absolutely nothing huh?
Some see that as a prereq for posting.
He's bold, loud and wrong.
>>
>>63372243
>using botnet bulbs
>>
>>63372312
The CRI says nothing about the color of the light.
>>
>>63372369
So?
>>
>>63372272
My face is a bona fide palm grove now

1. There's a parameter called Color Reproduction Index that shows how good the spectrum of a LED light is. It's typically printed on the box (you can never trust it with chink bulbs though)
2. Reflection and refraction DO NOT change the wavelength.
3. Transformers DO NOT work with DC signal. Like, at all. Lrn2electronics. LED power supplies may use a transformer somewhere in the AC-DC converter, but it's not the main element.
4. Some LED bulbs have glass covers so you can cut yourself.
>>
>>63372391
It determines how the light interacts with the color of surrounding objects. Thus "Color reproduction".
>>
>>63372449
I know how it works.

Just pointing out the "low CRI = greenish tint" bullshit.
>>
File: Capture.png (4 KB, 271x115)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
>>63372483
Color is not one-dimensional. Greenish tint can exist without affecting the Kelvin value of the color temperature - note how photo processing software gives you sliders for both.
>>
>>63372483
>>63372591
Low CRI does not "=" greenish tint; the tint is only one of the possible side-effects.
>>
>>63372591
>>63372603

The two are unrelated.

It's like claiming a car with poor mpg must be blue.
>>
>Type A LED bulbs are slightly bigger than incandescent bulbs
>In certain fixtures they either just make it, make unwanted contact, or outright don't fit
>Hear this complaint in almost every conversation on the subject
>Is a completely unnecessary problem that is too obvious to have simply been overlooked
>>
shut up or they will make them break more often
>>
What is the best 60W equivalent "soft-white" LED bulb?

Who makes the best LED chips?

How can you tell if your Osram, Felt, Philips, etc. bulbs use Samsung, Nichia, Cree, Stanley, etc. LED chips or some no-name Chinese chips?
>>
>>63373398
>Buy $6 GE LED bulb
>Buy $5 Philips LED bulb
>Buy $1 Dollar Store LED bulb
>They all look exactly the same and have all lasted over a year at this point

Wow.
>>
>>63372368
It might. Against a snow-white colored wall, probably not.
>>
>>63368596
I am jealous

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.