[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: linSUX.jpg (70 KB, 1338x343)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
I'm uninstalling Arch as we speak.

Linux is fucking DOA.
The first real test of Linux in the real working world failed.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/ditching-windows-for-linux-led-to-major-difficulties-says-open-source-champion-munich/

It's over.
>>
translation: a bunch of corrupt officials are retards that can't into tech. The ISS and CERN run on Linux and seem to be doing just fine.
>>
>>63721662
Microshill Germany transfers to Munich
City ditches Limux
Coincidence? Inquiring minds want to know!
>>
Hope the aldermen are enjoying their new porches.
>>
File: 1481348464837.jpg (48 KB, 253x229)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
Thank GNU for that! The fewer normies using GNU/Linux, the better.
>>
>>63721688
>The ISS and CERN run on Linux and seem to be doing just fine
>you need at least 2 PhDs to use Linux for something productive

Wew lad
>>
>>63721847
>Nobody uses linux
>Nobody makes drivers for hardware anymore
>This is fine
>>
>>63721867
I don't think you appreciate the lunacy of linux zealots. They want, nay CRAVE, to be the only person using the OS. Maybe, just maybe, their father will come back and tell them that he's proud.
>>
>>63721847
>People need to use Linux, windoze sux xD
>ROOO NORMANS GET OUT
classic lintard
>>
>>63721867
>not writing your own drivers
sad!
>>
>>63721662
>Running Linux alongside Windows
That's the problem.
>>
File: 1502078789661.jpg (12 KB, 480x640)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>63721662
>he fell for the Arch meme

>>63721902
>not writing your own drivers for your self-built hardware
>>
>>63721902
>Implying a /g/tard could write a functioning anything

Remember tox ;)
Remember netrunner ;)
>>
>limux
what the fak
>>
>>63721902
>not building your own hardware and writing your own OS

Fucking amateurs
>>
>>63721662
>The first real test of Linux in the real working world failed
>The first real world test
>The first test
>first test

You are literally fucking retarded
>>
>>63721689
this is true

soure: am german and read a shit ton of articles about it
>>
>>63721966
True as in coincidence, or the sarcasm is right?
>>
>>63722030
>>
File: TheAbsoluteStateOfTox.jpg (171 KB, 1000x1000)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
>>63721928
Oh yes I remember tox!
>>
>>63722105
Humpty drumpfty detected
>>
>>63721862
I use ubuntu but have only GED. Think NASA would hire me?
>>
>>63722132
I'm pretty sure that's common in any poverty setting.
In the US and other first-world countries, we have public latrines all over the place in one form or another.
In a place like India where the government treats their people like shit, the only real option the bottom caste has is to shit in the street.
Eventually you would stop giving a damn if you were dirt poor and had to survive each day.
>>
>>63722130
You should definitely apply for the next manned Mars mission
>>
File: apple_one_f.jpg (136 KB, 660x543)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
>>63721955
Woz did.
>>
>>63721662
can you spell U N C U C K E D
>>
>>63721662
This is old news and the only reason they did that is, that the people who work there never wanted to adapt and cried and moaned for years, that it's not windows and now they get back windows. no other reason. it wasn't that they couldn't work with it or that it was shit, it was simply, that it wasn't what they always knew and so they hated it.
>>
>>63722336
lack of support is a big, on going issue.

The nice thing about windows is if you have a problem, as a company you can call microsoft and get a resolution.
>>
>>63721662
Did you actually read the article? It says that part of the problem is that some software is unavailable on Linux. That was solved by using Windows on some systems. No problem.

The next problem was getting printers to work, software stability, and exporting documents, etc. These fall squarely on the It teams, which a third party review of the system pointed out as the biggest failure.

The article literally says that IT was the biggest problem. I want you to think about the demographics of those who post on /g/ and what this article means to them. Because it seems to me that the problem is that the real problem is that the average "tech guru" is too retarded to get Linux working properly.

That's fucking pathetic because my 60 year old father switched to Linux two years ago all on his own with zero prior experience and minimal help from myself.
>>
>>63721662
>uninstalling an OS
>>
>>63721662
Linux is a kernel and it already took over the world powering the Android operating system.
>>
>>63722416
>as a company you can call microsoft and get a resolution
You really believe that?
>>
>>63722030
>>63722105
>>63722132
Banned and btfo
>>
>>63721862
You literally have to be retarded if you can't use a linux with one of the popular GUI:s like xfce, gnome or kde. They are basically the same as windows. Except gnome, of course, because it's cancer.
>>
>>63722480
You literally can if you have a support or licensing agreement directly or through a Microsoft partner.

But a loonix brainlet wouldn't know what happens in the real working world, where people use Windows.
>>
>>63722422
>the real problem is that the average "tech guru" is too retarded to get Linux working properly.
How is this possible? Pretty much every university uses Linux computers. Why didn't the city just hire the same people that support the local universities?
>>
>lintard damage control in this thread
Is stallman using his speech money for shills now?
>>
>>63722509
I'm in the real working world and my whole company uses Linux
>>
Linux is for devs, servers and enthusiasts. If I was in marketing or sales I too would probably want to be using windows or mac.
>>
>>63722509
>You literally can if you have a support or licensing agreement directly or through a Microsoft partner.

>me: ... not working...
>m$: you must use a restoration point
>me: thank you for your help.

>me: I want to configure the speed of my keyboard but the option of the config panel is a joke
>m$: that's the expected behavior
>me: thank you for your help.

So funny.
>>
>>63722533
>anecdotal evidence
>>
>>63722537
And for people like me: too cheap to buy windows, and too lazy to use a pirate.
>>
>>63722519
The article seems to suggest that their ineffectiveness mostly stemmed from their inability to coordinate and cooperate. So I suppose I should have said that it was due to how autistic IT folks are. Which can be plainly seen on /g/ despite those same retards blaming their inadequacies on “normies" and "roasties."
>>
>>63722544
>things that never happened.
Business support != consumer support
>>
>>63721688
/thread
>>
>>63722562
Meh, they probably just hired their brothers and nephews and friends to do the IT, since that's what government officials always do. Had they hired competent people, there would have been no problem.
>>
>>63722565
I know the kind of support they could provide. And it's only for tech noob, I'm always more skilled that the one on phone, and it's the same for nunux.
>>
>>63722599
I really don't think the problem is nepotism. You see the exact same personality types here in North America. They're on this board constantly. They blame the inefficiencies on Chad and Stacy for being fucking retarded. The independent review here suggests that the real problem is the inability of IT teams to work with EACH OTHER. That means the problem has nothing to do with Chad or Stacy and everything to do with the antisocial asshats that you see in IT and their superiority complexes.
>>
>>63721688
F P B P
P
B
P
>>
File: 1339014912631.png (3 KB, 420x414)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
>>63721662
>The first real test of Linux in the real working world failed.
Of course it did. They relied on paid support and enterprise programs, and Microsoft has literally every other competitor beat in that one category alone.

The *nix community has basically optimized linux for exactly one thing: scalable servers. That's it. It's really, really good at that, to the point where suggesting things that aren't *nix or a variant will get you laughed at in the industry, but it's not very good at anything else unless tinkering with OS's is your hobby. This isn't news, and the *nix community shouldn't freak out about it or cry and blame corruption when they ran up against some of the most well-known disincentives to *nix adoption there are.
>>
>>63721662
>https://www.techrepublic.com/article/ditching-windows-for-linux-led-to-major-difficulties-says-open-source-champion-munich/a.k.a.-from-munich-to-stockholm
FTFY.
>>
>>63721662
t. desktop prosumer
>>
>>63721662
It's probably because their IT team was too diverse.
>>
>>63722537
More devs and enthusiasts would use it if it didn't have very poor hardware and driver support.
>>
>>63721847
it's too late
look what happened with init

it became a winshi-like insecure blob that absorbed vast amounts of previously independent OS elements
>>
>>63723922
Neither of those things are true.
>>
>>63723957
Yeah nothing would make anyone with a brain use shitnux lol
>>
File: web-os-market-share.png (31 KB, 650x300)
31 KB
31 KB PNG
>>63721662
Linux on desktop is a shame, yes.
But linux is far from dead.
You actually have several linux machines on your house and don't even notice it.
>>
>phone is XNU
>Laptop is Windows
>Router is BSD
>No TV
>No cable
>No smart fridges or IoT devices

Lmao no
>>
>>63721662
"Oh it didnt work for one organisation so that means nobody can ever use it despite a shitton of people using it daily without any problems they face using other OSes"
Go off yourself, youre not worth oxygen
>>
>>63724151
>No arguments found

Probably too busy fixing X lmao
>>
>>63724172
Thanks for worrying, i've never had a problem with X ;) we're not in the 90s anymore
>>
>>63724172
>>63724181
>not using Wayland
>>
>>63724181
>Meanwhile in 2017

https://itvision.altervistaDOTorg/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
>>
>>63724143
Let me guess, you're one of those time travelers that came from 2025 and are all butthurt with linux because the T-series use em, right?
Stop being a wuss and get over it.
It's not linux fault that machines went rogue.
>>
>>63721662
By the way, Microsoft Germany's HQ moved to Munich in 2016
>>
>>63722416
>lack of support is a big, on going issue.
>The nice thing about windows is if you have a problem, as a company you can call microsoft and get a resolution.
Depending on what Linux distribution you get, you can get this too though. Not all Linux distros are free..
I believe it is openSuse (a German-based Linux distro) that offers support in professional environments.
And definitely Redhat too, but that's more for servers than desktops.
>>
File: 1497430342962.png (140 KB, 1682x607)
140 KB
140 KB PNG
>>63721662
So much failure in the real world.
>>
>>63721662

*looks at stats of linux versus windows on servers*
>>
>>63724383
>*action*
Please kill yourself. Thanks.
>>
>>63724479
Why are you trying to shame him for not using a word which wouldn't have made sense in his post?
>>
>>63724502
kys
>>
>>63724517
Q_Q y u so mean senpai desu, did you not......*install gentoo*
>>
>>63724498
I shame retards that can't type a proper thought.

>>63724502
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.
>>
>>63724220
>using an article to support your argument
>using an article to tell yourself what to do
>using an article for anything
>not using your own experience to build your arguments and opinions
Fucking lol
>>
in an alternate reality SuSE and Redhat move their HQ to munich to give free support to the city gov in return for tax reductions.

In this reality Microsoft moves to Munich to give free whores to some city officials in return for tax reductions.

to be fair munich should make more profit from a deal with MS, it's sad anyway
>>
>>63721662
Someone saying uninstalling arch has never used linux lol
>>
Because linux can't open a webbrowser and webbrowser isn't all they need and running PHP/node servers is much diffuclter than windows, because you just have to instal Ubuntu Server and type atp-get php and then php launch.php ...

Dumbfucks.
>>
>>63724843
>Not a single refutation of any point addressed in the link
Fucking lol
>>
>not seeing that the change to linux was just an excuse to spend public money and get a share.
>not seeing that the return to windows is just an excuse to spend public money and get a share.
>>
>>63721688
>unironically trusting CERN
>>
File: Goblin Slayer.png (28 KB, 121x225)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
>>63721662
>Linux is fucking DOA
>DOA
Do you have brain problems?
>>
>>63721867
lmao, that was never a problem before.
it's only a problem now because a lot of hardware nowadays requires cryptographically secure signed firmware to even run.

drivers aren't really all that hard to do otherwise.
>>
>>63722533
What is your company?
>>
>>63725211
Imaginary Productions Inc
>>
>>63725233
Gee thank u
>>
>>63721955
>t. Terry A. Davis
>>
>>63721662

True. Linux is shit. And the religious zealot linux tards are in here huffing and panting, trying to protect their little retarded turd baby of an OS.
>>
>>63725105
Fuck off, Okabe.
>>
>>63726036
The post has an odor of curry.
>>
>>63721662
All OSes are shit
/thread
>>
File: lowqualitybait.jpg (16 KB, 600x600)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>63721662
>>
Linux is honestly torture to use on the desktop. I use it for appliance-type systems and my HTPC and for those it's perfect.

I fell in love with Unix-like operating systems, so now I use a Mac as my main machine and Linux for most everything else. Windows on the gaming rig which I barely touch nowadays.

Many of you kids will figure this out eventually
>>
>>63726780
>Linux is honestly torture to use on the desktop
I disagree. Latest versions of gnome compete with macOS.
>>
From reading into it, seems like they were just too incompetent at scale. I don't know their specific issues, but I'm sure I could have saved this. Which is sad.
>>
>>63726058
^^
>>
>>63724540
How do you know what he thought to write?
>>
So the problem in Munich was most likely either
a. Adult people whining that they don't like things that are different than their precious Windows
b. Microsoft paying off the people in charge

There's no real solution for b, but a can be solved by introducing Linux in schools.
My high school used Ubuntu in their internet cafe, and everyone was pretty happy with that. Although it was mostly nerds who went to the internet cafe in the first place... some normies used it too, and they just wanted to watch Game of Thrones and stuff
>>
>>63721662
>Major difficulties

Old cunt Karlheinz and stupid thot Gerlinde couldn't open spreadsheets REEEEEEE where's my data fucking IT nerds REEEEEEEEEEEe
>>
>>63728765
True. Bavaria is not exactly known as a place that easily adapts to hip, bleeding edge technology.
I would rather expect areas like Leipzig or Dresden to switch to Linux. Those are former commie areas that would rather use a half-broken OS than to swallow the American cock
>>
I know there's OpenLDAP but how much of a substitute is it really for active directory in organisations with >100 users if you need to push out specific software etc via group policy? AD is a piece of piss to use so you can hire cheap windows admins to take care of things.
>>
File: mayushi.png (1.55 MB, 1100x1100)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB PNG
>>63726058
tuturu i suggest you leave okarin alone desu
>>
>>63729089
I dunno, my mates in Bavaria and Germans in general seem to be fairly good with digital privacy. But I mean I don't live there and only know a few. I guess they like windows because it's old and reliable (for them anyway)
>>
>>63721688
>we are often confronted with major difficulties and additional costs when it comes to acquiring and operating professional application software
Read the article brainlet. Turns out the issue is what everyone knew all along.
ISS and CERN don't deal with taxes/insurance/driver's licenses on a city scale.
>>
Since so many people bring the argument that MS moved their German HQ to Munich. It was 17km from Munich before the move. Don't know how much difference that did.
Still it was a 100% political decision to ditch Linux. And if the politicians are self claimed "friends" of MS you know the rest.
>>
>>63721662
>Implying you even had Arch installed.
I too am replacing my free software for a proprietary operating system because of one article that doesn't directly affect me.
>>
File: 1506945308706.jpg (117 KB, 538x1085)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>63724220
What a shit article.
It should be called
>O don't know anything about Linix, but I know that some software doesn't work on lunix
Also, I never had issues using FN keys on laptop with Linux. Did he run out of lies?

Fucking tech illiterate people, thinking that some companies software doesn't work on Linux it's fucking linux fault and not devs who made the software.
Imbeciles.

I just hope people like you will never use linux on their desktop. Sophisticated software should be used by sophisticated people.
>>
>>63727043
>Latest versions of gnome compete with macOS
>gnome
Lmao
>>
>>63727043
>tablet interface competing with anything
>>
>>63727043
>Latest versions of gnome compete with macOS.
i imagine that's like watching the special olympics
>>
>>63721688
>Evriwon who can't into loonix is RETART! I' am very schmart so I use lunurcks by Linyos Torovoltos and it's BETTUR than windos XDDDD
>>
>>63732403
You just proved his point.
>>
old an lazy public servants can't deal with Linux. They should have used it longer for all retards to get used to it, but the whining from the old retards was too loud so they had to change it back

RIP linux
>>
Would you kindly all read past the title? If reading was for faggots, this thread would look very different.
>>
File: 1496240100275.png (645 KB, 640x640)
645 KB
645 KB PNG
>>63721902
>not designing and implementing your own hardware
>not designing your own firmware for it
>not setting up your hardware to run Gentoo to perfection and have it still break on you
>not being able to find out first-hand that you could've just installed Windows and run Linux in a VM because it just werks

You'll learn some day my friend
>>
>>63724122
That's because a well used and created linux system is unnoticeable as it always functions and doesn't require maintenance.
>>
>>63721847
This post is by a shill who tries to undermine the adaptation and development of Linux by attempting to seed hostility into the Linux userbase.
>>
>>63726780
GUIs are for sissies
learn2shell
>>
Yui runs Arch.
>>
>uninstalling

windows-cuck spotted
>>
>>63721662
can't tell if this is bait or OP actually doesn't know that most of the machines in the world that are not desktops run linux.
>>
>>63724230
tips fedora
>>
File: 1510206400763.jpg (207 KB, 900x657)
207 KB
207 KB JPG
>>63721662
>used Winshit 10 "Pro" for a few days on a ThinkPad T430 (very fast and fairly recent machine)
>takes fucking ages to install and update and makes the setup nauseating with fading colors and dumb spinner logos made of dots while displaying creepy messages
>screen tearing all over the place during light web browsing, regardless of browser
>rapes my HDD harder than niggers rape Swedish women and ramps up the fan so fast that the laptop might fly away
>brightness controls work fine until I update the drivers and then it won't go as low as before so I have eye cancer when using it at night and won't let me roll back the driver
>the UI is dogshit, and I have literally never used worse; the sharp corners and bright whites with frosted glass violently assault your retinas
>two fucking control panels for no goddamn reason other than pajeet felt like it
>boots fast but takes forever and a fucking half to log into my account
>will eat like 5-7GB of RAM when idle with no programs open even though I only have 10GB installed
>the little store thing is abhorrent and it makes it harder to install programs
>there is no simple search function out of the box, only some Cortana shit that can't decide if it's a Siri knockoff or a start menu
>the Linux subsystem thing is half baked shit that's not good for anything but screenfetch circlejerks
>it's a botnet that sends your data to Micropenis and third parties
I installed Fedora with XFCE on my T430 and it actually works now. Fuck you, Pajeet.
>>
>>63736731
Nice picture of Linux users you posted.
The likeness is exceptional
>>
File: 1509612904474.png (106 KB, 304x324)
106 KB
106 KB PNG
>mfw migrating company server from Windows to Arch
>>
>>63737265
Do the needful and poo in the loo.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.