[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: tech.jpg (220 KB, 1200x675)
220 KB
220 KB JPG
Which big tech company (doesn't have to be American) you find to be the most cancerous?

The one corporation that you hope that in 25 years they will be irrelevant like IBM or bankrupt.

My vote goes for Facebook, it's a net loss to society as a whole. Hate how you're more or less forced to join in today's world.
>>
Not exactly bankrupt, but maybe Google. Facebook can end up like Gawker for all I care.
>>
>>63726705

Mods please can me from this hell
>>
>>63726638
Facebook, i'd like to see that kike zuckerberg with his nip wife and halfbreed kids in line at the foodbank.
>>
The tech axis of evil are Apple, Google, Intel and Amazon.
>>
Facebook

Zuckerburg can suck my dick
>>
>>63726638
I don't use facebook and nothing forces me to do so.
>>
Amazon is the most dangerous, facebook is the most cancerous.
>>
>>63726705
This should be the new 56% face.
>>
>>63728565

Suckerberg can zuck my dick.
>>
>>63728589
>what is this zucc thing I keep hearing?
>>
>>63728575
Google may be more dangerous in terms of censorship and its apparent monopoly on information
>>
>gofa
What??
>>
Google I hate with a passion and want dead. Facebook would probably be equally bad if they were as competent. Apple is Apple but I don't understand the hate for Amazon, they don't seem worse than any other major tech company.
>>
>>63728801
What are some reasons for hating google? Google seems to be the most useful and innovative out of the bunch.
>>
>>63728857
They're probably the most useful but they have a monopoly on the internet and also collect huge amounts of data, probably sending it to NSA
>>
>>63726638
all of them
>>
>>63728881
I don't think they are a monopoly, there are many other search engines and equivalents to their other products out there. They've just built a very solid ecosystem that pulls the user into using all things google. I can see why you would be concerened about the large sums of data they collect though.
>>
Amazon, Facebook, Google and Microsoft are the unholy Quadrilogy. If you leave out Microsoft the others spell FAG.

Facebook
Amazon
Google
>>
>>63726638
Amazon. They are expanding to Sweden soon and will probably undercut and sell their shit at a loss until they've wiped out all the good, competing, local newegg-ish sites for electronics and pc parts.
>>
File: GFY.png (111 KB, 1046x406)
111 KB
111 KB PNG
>implying implications
>>
Google, Microsoft comes in at a close second. I have a burning hatred for both and they are much harder to avoid than Facebook
>>
File: a.jpg (51 KB, 1200x675)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>63726638
>>
Too many companies to list.
>>
File: 1.4.png (207 KB, 1200x1500)
207 KB
207 KB PNG
>>63728857
botnet.

People don't complain about their software because most, minus the invasive data collection, is pretty good. They also have the best security engineers on the planet - the very reason they never had a serious (if any) data breach.

But in the end, you realize Google is less of a tech company, and more really a very high-tech ad company. Their services are and always will be engineered to mine your data to serve ads at you, or to be sold to/used by a few billionaires who can use this data for political gains (see NSA doing world surveillance yet not catching anyone - this was never the reason in the first place).

tl;dr google software isn't necessarily bad but their end goal is evil by default due to their business model
>>
File: 2mg3xqg.jpg (12 KB, 227x318)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>63728589
>>
AT&T
>>
File: 1403639928608.png (375 KB, 752x588)
375 KB
375 KB PNG
>>63729766
>>
Would be glad if Facebook stopped existing. Google disappearing would be good but it would take more time to adapt to the changes. Apple doesn't offer that much for free, so they have a barrier for their services which allows people to think whether they should join that ecosystem or not, so I don't hold anything against them getting idiots to buy their products, they have less of a hook. And Amazon just happens to be as convenient as it gets, eventually there would have to be another service to replace it.
>>
>IBM
>irrelevant
They aren't very active in the consumer market but they still monopolise the enterprise market and government contracts
>>
>>63726638
google, it's the hardest to avoid
>>
My vote goes to facebook as well, as it is far less superior to places like Twitter, or Instagram. Even though Instagram is made by Facebook, it is still a lot better.
>>
>>63731019
how so?
>>
>>63726638
Facebook is awful, but dying. Google has become malignant
>>
>>63726638

All of them are parasitical tax evading assholes, which are doing direct harm by not paying their share. Loopholes should be closed, corporations should be heavily prosecuted, and then we can move on.

Aside from that however, I'd have to say Facebook is the worst of the bunch and most damaging. The others ostensibly COULD be redeemed or controlled through decent protections and policies and at least are capable of offering something of value.

Google's main issues could be resolved if they had options to pay a reasonable amount and have access to their services without ads or being subjected to their data mining. Something like this could happen if the US and EU get together on strong privacy regulations when it becomes untenable for G to do what they do. Likewise, encourage open source/distributed stuff instead of proprietary and centralized

Apple is a proprietary shitshow but its mostly voluntary from a tech perspective. Breaking down walled gardens best we can, but they're not the worst of the lot.

Amazon provides good services but needs to be audited for potential antitrust issues , worker policies etc. This can be fixed with good regulatory protections overall

Facebook offers nothing and has done irreparable harm by normalizing the "put your real identity on the Internet" meme. Think about it those of us old enough to remember pre 2000 Internet, or even pre-Facebook . What was the number one rule for you or your kids? Keep your meatspace identity sequestered, domn't believe things you read on the Internet as true just because they've been posted etc... hell, 4chan alone is predicated on that pre-Facebook ideal and we've lost the most thanks in part to them mixed with the whole "people pretending to be idiots for a laugh will eventually be joined by actual idiots until its difficult to tell who is whom" quote I'm paraphrasing. So yeah, Facebook can fuck themselves right off a cliff and impale themselves on a yeasty stalagmite.
>>
>>63731034
while not using their services or buying their stuff is enough for the other three, between the captchas, youtube, and everyone using gmail it's next to impossible to avoid google entirely
>>
>>63731207
Tax minimization is a civic duty.
>>
>>63731250
This, if you want to pay more, make a donation to the Treasure
>>
>>63726638
facebook. they contribute nothing to the world. along with twitter they've accomplished nothing but allowed foreign interests (read: russians and the super rich 0.1% of the world who secretly back them) to stage a propaganda war on the west and influence domestic policy and political agendas. they're the greatest evil to come out of the recent tech boom. a pervasive cancer that has gained a foothold on the weak willed and ignorant masses.
>>
>>63728910
youre not even close to the fucking mark
Google Javascript runs on so many god damn websites, it's nearly impossible to use the web without encountering or sending something to google
>>
>>63726638
Forced to join? I don't feel that way. It can be useful if you want to connect with people but not necessary. Maybe if you are looking for jobs/dating but I don't think employers should look at that stuff and I don't think just because our culture is becoming self absorbed on the internet that in order for me to find love I have to follow suit.
>>
>>63726638
Facebook by a landslide. FB is utter shit and I hope they will crash and burn like the filthy cancer it they are.
>>
>>63726638
Facebook. Disgusting.
>>
>>63726638
Kikebook has the shadiest business practices.
>>
>>63726638
My wish for Microsoft is that they will miraculously open source Windows within 2025 because Linux is eating all their marketshare away to the point where the only viable solution for windows to survive is to open source it and give it away for free.
>>
>>63731207
The DOJ need to go full Roosevelt on these tech companies and call them out as the 2nd Gilded Robber barons of our age. The problem is proving what explicit harm are companies like Google and Amazon are causing to consumers, especially Google when it offers most of its unique services for free. Even if you split their search into 10 different entities (like what happened to Standard Oil), one will become dominant again and become Google 2.0

It's a lose lose scenario. Welcome to Brave New World.
>>
File: unesco.jpg (94 KB, 650x405)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>63732279
And Youtube should be given a UNESCO world heritage status for being the largest repository of human knowledge in human history.
>>
google
amazon
microsoft
apple
intel
facebook

WAKE ME UP
WAKE ME UP
WAKE ME UP
>>
>>63728573
This. I only use it when I really have to contact someone.
>>
>>63728881
>they have a monopoly
blame everything else for not being even half as good
>>
>>63730064
>votnet
>>
>>63731352
That is by choice of the webdevs. It isn't from google holding a "monopoly".
>>
>>63730064
This has been the most reasonable response so far. Would a solution to this be making their services paid and removing their reliance on collecting information for income? This won't happen, obviously, but if it did, would it make google a more respectable company?
>>
>>63726638
Apple and Google make agreements with one another to keep their engineers wages down.
>>
>>63726638
Facebook will die in the next 10 years
Apple will become irrelevant again
Amazon will try to beat Google, but won't be able to
Google can't be beaten and will grow into an even more dystopian company than it already is
>>
>>63726638
Microsoft, Apple, Google. In that order.
>>
>>63735375
>Amazon will try to beat Google

they're quite two different businesses at the moment, maybe in terms of AI?

I see a looming battle between Walmart and Amazon in terms of e-commerce.
>>
>>63735494
>they're quite two different businesses at the moment,
Yes, one sells hardware, videos, online storage, computational resources etc and the other doesn't. Trouble is, which?
>>
Google.
>youtube undermining and poisoning the minds of the younger generation
>mass-censorship and priorotizing traffic according to ideology
>FUCKING CAPTCHA
>botnet surveillance-tier, literal Big Brother shit.
>>
>>63729766
Saved
>>
>>63729766
holy kek, also checked
>>
Google, because they're still viable.

With Facebook it's a question of time until it croaks.
>>
>>63735494
>world domination is not a zero sum game

You really haven't thought about the implications of multinational corporations with more spending power than most governments have you?
>>
I agree with Facebook being worst. It's basically keeping a KGB dossier on yourself completely voluntarily.
>>
>>63732832
>i dont use facebook
>except when I have to contact somebody
You have a facebook account and you use it, ergo you use facebook
>>
>>63736987
You knew how he meant it. He meant that he doesn't use it habitually. It's like saying that you're not a drinker even though you might have one or two at New Year's or something.
>>
>>63737024
No, sorry, you either use facebook or you don't. If you have an account and use it, then you use facebook. I don't know what the fuck he "meant"
>>
Google is fucking evil, but still pretty smart and they have many cards up in their sleeve. They wrap their agenda in child appearing form to hide it from the public. Very kikee. They don't focus on one shit, instead like a virus infect and conquer any aspect of computing that is vulnerable in their methodology. Their biggest flaw is methodology itself. They can sink in their own shit, and it can be very spectacular.

Jewbook is already ded. It's gigantic pile of rotting flesh. The only reason why people don't know it yet is that giants are slow. It could take some time to loose momentum and visibly break from social perspective - which is exaclty what is going right now.

Microshit is desperate. They can do what IBM did - move to another sector of the market for survival. That would leave a big hole in OS environment. The only big playa right now that can fill it in organised, and well planned manner is unfortunate Google.

Amazon isn't such a big player in my part EU so I don't feel it, but from raw information it appears as Oracle of selling. They're both fucking ruthless, very well managed and ambitious driven. Nowhere near their end in my estimation.

Apple have leadership crisis obviously. The only thing that can save them is another incarnation of Jobs, who can hold Apple's shit together with iron grip. Current gayfag is too much softie to do it properly. So company's fate is in hands of it's customers entirely. And considering that their typical customer is not very tech savvy company can ride on pure loyalty. For a time.

Next decade will be very interesting.
>>
>>63737067
Well then you're an autist who is probably insufferable.

>"what do you mean 'you're so hungry that you could eat a horse?'"
>"I'm sure that you're really not that hungry"
>"I mean, a horse is a lot to eat"
>bazinga
>>
>>63728575
Why is amazon the most dangerous?
>>
File: 1454457899695.jpg (827 KB, 900x2002)
827 KB
827 KB JPG
>>
>>63737698
fucking disgusting, this needs to end
>>
>>63737586
>yeah I don't use facebook
>except when I use it
come on man, you can't expect me to believe this blatantly contradictory statement is comparable to common phrases like those
>>
>>63737678
They deal in goods, distribution, licensing, and finance.

Google deals in information access, abandoned software products, video streaming, and social media.

If the second one sounds more dangerous than the first then I have to feel you're just a little bit out of touch. All of google's relationships are entirely voluntary. Whereas Amazon destroys companies on a daily basis. Hell, Amazon is giving Walmart a hard time. WALMART.
>>
>>63737929
I expect you to understand the principle that people phrase things like that, such as the aforementioned example of drinking.
>>
>>63738003
>no I dont drink
>except for work parties, christmas parties, my birthday, sometimes on the weekends, my moms birthday, family get togethers, sometimes if I'm just bored

>what do you mean I drink? I just said I didnt! Dont you understand what I really meant when I said I "dont" drink
>jeez, you autist, dont take what I say so literally

the fuck man
>>
>>63726638

i don't get the rampant hate for apple, they're not that relevant, sure in terms of them being dumb trendsetters, but google and amazon to a lesser extent are far more cancerous
>>
>>63726638
>doesn't have to be American
yes it does.

I hate facebook, but i don't think it is the worst of the bunch, it's actually good that there is a place for the most retarded to hang out, more internet for me. Its more important that we get a good force in the industry then the bad ones go. The scariest one is google, their AI advancement and extreme spying can be turned into very, very, very nasty stuff.
>>
Are there any companies that /g/ actually likes?
>>
>>63738771
Microsoft.
>>
>>63726638
>irrelevant like IBM
Uhhh
Should we tell him?
>>
>>63738771
I like Publix. Where shopping is a pleasure.
>>
>>63738822

as a tech company, IBM is comparatively irrelevant. Nobody in the public domain knows how much financial work and business-to-business work it does.

Even IBM got sick of its tech and made Lenovo take it.
>>
>>63738945
IBM is out of the commodity shit.

PCs went commodity, to Lenovo.
X86_64 servers went commodity, to Lenovo.

They're still selling z/OS and POWER* servers running AIX and still selling shit like watson, although they're much more services dependent now than they previously were.
>>
>>63738771
Xiaomi, they make a whole lot of awesome stuff and don't sting you on price.
>>
>>63726638
Amazon is the worse because it fucks over people in other areas beyond tech. Facebook is a close second.
>>
>>63738839
Only good thing about Florida
>>
>>63726638
facebook is probably the most useless to society, but google and amazon have a lot more potential for evil and damage
>>
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/amazon/this-city-hall-brought-to-you-by-amazon/

If you don't think it's Amazon you need to get your head out your ass.
>>
>>63726638

Amazon

They're getting too big
>>
>>63731029
>Underage
If you think instagram of snapchat are better than Facebook you need to leave
>>
Facebook because they actively try to steer the narrative of 2 billion people
>>
Facebook or Amazon.

Amazon has a toxic culture, Facebook is morally bankrupt.
>>
File: 1500383127455.png (386 KB, 1187x673)
386 KB
386 KB PNG
>>63726638
>>
Baidu, Tencen, Alibaba.
They became big by literally being against Net Neutrality.
>>
>intel

Pretty much forced on to us, controls the entire desktop scene, and invades our privacy, with the Intel ME.
>>
File: huh.jpg (17 KB, 291x339)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>63726638
wtf is "gofa"?
>>
>>63731019
It's not hard to avoid at all, you retard.
>>
>>63731208
Don't use gmail yourself.
Use an anti-NN search engine like Yahoo!
Solve the captchas wrong.
Done.
>>
>>63731019
Bullshit. You can avoid almost any tech mogul if you really, really, really want to. For Google, u can find substitutes to all their products, run an adblocker and run a Dont Track script.

I once had a mental meltdown and I somehow decided to dissappear off the real world and the net. For 6 months I successfully avoided all the big guys: Google, Facebook, etc. Except one asshole who qas impossible to avoid: Micro fucking soft. It's everywhere and it goes beyond the net.
>>
File: 1512384941234.jpg (1.87 MB, 2000x2610)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB JPG
>>63738782
>>63738982

what the fuck has /g/ become
>>
>>63731208

use hooktube
>>
>>63732343
>human knowledge
99% of it is spam (linus tech tips included) also google have no obligation to keep it available forever.
>>
>>63737698
Why does Microsoft get so much traffic? That doesn't make any sense to me.
>>
>>63744731
OS updates, built in spyware etc. etc.
Then theres the game consoles doing the same thing.
Your smarttv also does the same thing.
>>
>>63744785
doesn't that chart only count website traffic though? os updates and spyware shouldn't be counted towards that
what websites does microsoft run that are so popular?
>>
>>63734906
I don't think so.
Speaking only about the moral side: unless all their software got rewritten from scratch, every one of them would still perform in a client-server centralized model.

Then you'd have a trust issue: you have to rely on the server to not spy on you, or use third-party software to anonymize you (you'd still get datamined, but hopefully they wouldn't tie that data back to you).

Free software on the client side doesn't solve this, since the computing itself happens in Google servers which you can't control. Even if you use a free mail client and only load free javascript in your browser, you have to trust them to not data mine your info stored in their servers.

tl;dr unless their software suites become decentralized, de facto trust will never exist
>>
>>63738170
Autism
>>
>>63730984
Only as cloud providers. IBM doesn't make any hardware anymore because they sold it all off to the chinks, and had to acquire SoftLayer to stay relevant because Bluemix wasn't enterprise ready.
SoftLayer is pretty good though, and IBM is willing to bend over and accept any network peculiarities you have if you are big enough.
>>
>>63735375
Amazon doesn't need to beat Google in commerce and as an IaaS provider. Google is very very far from reaching their level.
Everything else that gives value to Google is advertising based.
>>
>>63726943
Hi /pol/!

I hope Intel gets bitchslapped for corruption and broken up into several smaller companies.

I hope Microsoft gets obliterated entirely.
>>
File: 1510228522394.png (865 KB, 1526x1181)
865 KB
865 KB PNG
>>63726638
Apple need to be nuked and all their employees executed for treason tbqhwyfam.
>>
>>63726638
Apple is aids, and thats it
Probably the greediest company here
Pay 1000 for an iPhone X and THEY STILL USE A PROPRIETARY LIGHTNING CABLE THAT CHARGES 1% PER HOUR

>b-but its quick charge compatible

AND THE FUCKING QUICK CHARGE CABLE DOESN'T COME IN THE BOX

They dont innovate anymore, they simply make things harder for everyone
>>
>>63726638
Google and Facebook are the true evil types. Amazon feels like a pre-Cyberpunk megacorp, they're just waiting for the right opportunity.
Apple make very expensive, "fashionable" hardware, but at least they're somewhat driven by ideology and care about user privacy (to the point where Google and Facebook are butthurt about Apple's anti-tracking features in Safari).

I don't know what to make of Microsoft today, as they've taken a series of twists and turns since the Ballmer era, but I suspect they'll fall back into old habits soon enough.
>>
File: 80c.jpg (64 KB, 600x591)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>63726638
>the most cancerous?
Facebook cause it's a congregation for normies and fuck normies.
>>
>>63737067
You know that the world isn't black and white, do you?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.