[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

I have a 1 TB HDD (Western Digital). I had over 700 GB of movies but I deleted it all So I basically deleted more than 70% of data. Now that disk is almost empty.
Here's my question - how can I improve that drive's work and lifetime after such a major delete? Should I just defrag it or can I do something more? I know that CCleaner has an option that writes zeros on empty space , does it make any difference in terms of times of access etc?
>>
Hard disks are not really affected by writes. They theoretically have an infinite amount of writes. The only part that is worn during writes is the write head and the motor but you cannot actually do anything to fix that anyway. Defragging or zeroing the drive will just make that worse not better.

"Deleting" data isn't actually removing the data from the disk it just removes the references from the filesystem's index and the makes the space it occupied available so it can be overwritten by something else.

Defragging the hard disk to move the data to the beginning of the drive will make the drive access the data a bit faster.
>>
>>64108423
>Defragging or zeroing the drive will just make that worse not better.
so should I defrag or not?
>>
>>64108445
Data fragmentation is not a huge problem when you only have a few hundred/thousand large files. It's mainly a problem with tens of thousands of small files scattered all over the place like with an operating system's files. The constant seeking back and forth between each read really fucks up the read speeds.
>>
>>64108516
Alright, I'll just leave it as it is then. Thanks for your help!
>>
>>64108516
I forgot to add, although defragging is not really a big deal in your case it wont really hurt you to defrag your data anyway. You might improve performance somewhat but it might be imperceptible
>>
https://m.computeruniverse.net/wd-blue-desktop-wd10ezex-1tb
considering this mildly related, is this a good deal or can i do better?
>>
>>64108538
What he just told you is that there are zero ways to improve a HDD's lifespan.
Backup your shit

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.